Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: Whenever You're Ready

My take on the finale, 2 outcomes.

1) the soul squad all 4 will get their memories erase every now and then to keep it interesting for them to work on the good place like Michael suggested in episode "Patty".

Or

2) either 1 or all of them will walk through the final door because they achieved what they need to achieve during their time in the good place. Perhaps being reborn like a cycle or something.

Whatever the fan theory is. I cannot wait for the finale. Cheers to The Good Place and because of it, i picked up a few books based on philosophy and i find purpose in reading.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

THe title of this episode is "Whenever You're Ready."  My answer is--I'm definitely not ready.   I can't believe it is the end.

I came here to say the same. Not ready, yet. 

• Love 2

I am also not ready, but I am excited for whatever big project Mike Schur and his stable of people work on next. I also can't wait to see Jameela Jamil, William Jackson Harper, and Manny Jacinto in more stuff - they are all great actors!

• Love 13

I'm also not ready. I found this show a few weeks ago and have binge watched like a maniac so I am now fully caught up. I went through every emotion y'all had years to go through in less than 3 weeks. This show put me through the emotional wringer and I think I may wait to watch this one for a few days. I'm not ready to cry again and I'm not ready to have this whole thing be finished. 

• Love 10

That was it?!? I didn't know how long it was going to run because I've never watched it live, so when it stopped at 9:40 I felt a little bit cheated! I didn't know the Seth Myer stuff was coming afterward.

That Eleanor and Chidi goodbye... Uf. Total sobbing mess here.

• Love 9

Did not like them all going through the door (except Tahani, thank goodness for small miracles). 

I still reject last week's premise that the door was necessary. I still see it as eternal suicide. Eleanor feeling abandoned by Chidi wrecked me.

Michael getting to be human and Tahani's endings were the only character endings that made me happy. Also, Nick Offerman is always welcome.

Edited by Dots And Stripes
  • Love 24

That was pretty amazing.  Can’t recall the last time I liked a series finale that much.  So much to explore on rewatching.

unfortunately, the Canadian cable showing messed up the after show somehow.  Hope it’s available online soon. And can’t wait for the last podcast...

• Love 14
Just now, BobH said:

That was pretty amazing.  Can’t recall the last time I liked a series finale that much.  So much to explore on rewatching.

unfortunately, the Canadian cable showing messed up the after show somehow.  Hope it’s available online soon. And can’t wait for the last podcast...

I'm watching it on Global right now.

14 minutes ago, DB in CMH said:

I didn't know how long it was going to run because I've never watched it live, so when it stopped at 9:40 I felt a little bit cheated

Me too - it was so abrupt. They really needed to let the "take it sleazy" line sit for a minute and make a smoother flow into Seth Meyers. Kinda sad that they did it this way.

I started crying when Janet said "Oh dip" and never really stopped. Now that I know what to prepare for I'll re-watch and probably enjoy it a lot more (because I'll cry a lot less).

Edited by Nordly Beaumont
  • Love 9

"You're my Gardner Minshew." I love Jason. He actually became a monk!

"Keep it sleazy." Michael became a real boy!

"Very soon." Lol at Sean trying to not sound evil.

Michael trying to piggyback on Eleanor through the door was hilarious.

Eleanor and Chidi are one of my fave TV ships, ever.

• LOL 2
  • Love 21

I'm gonna miss this show.  The little asides peppered through the dialogue had me laughing through the tears.  Jason, Tahani,  and Eleanor getting quality time with their parents was beautiful.   Tahani's list.  The list of new arrivals--Roberto Clemente, Thomas Aquinas, and the "Wheres the Beef" Lady.  Gardner Minshew. Tahani becoming an architect was a wonderful ending for her.  Mindy and Eleanor's talk, and Mindy going through the system.  The return of Mike and his frogs.  And then Michael gets to be human.  This tied up all the loose ends for me.

• Love 5

I'm still processing. I didn't hate it. Much of it felt right. I wasn't moved to tears, however. 

After all the reboots and all the forced separations, I guess right now I'm wishing I could have seen more of them experiencing happiness, rather than watching nearly all of them end their existences.

Maybe I need to sit with it longer? I dunno.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9

At first I was thrown off by just how quick they decided to go through the door (Jason was gone within the first 15 min of the episode) but it felt right. 

I'm completely on board with the whole idea of too much of a good thing and having the choice to move on... I don't find it depressing, it's peaceful to me. I can understand why it's seen the other way but I guess it falls back onto the different schools of thought - whether you believe you're part of a bigger picture and life is just a moment, or you think you have a greater purpose. Neither is wrong and the show had a difficult position to have to chose one. I'm happy with what they chose. 

I was completely cool until the wave speech and just sort of sobbed and then stopped and then started again when Eleanor went through and I have a headache now. It's nice though 

• Love 23

Glad that I got to watch it live for once!

Still a bit mixed over the idea that basically being wiped out of any existence is the final end for everyone, but within that storyline, I think everything fell into place like it should have.  Jason would be the one that would get bored first, but his trip would be delayed (by several Jeremy Beremys!) because he lost something important and thought the "magical squirrels" would get it, heh.  Then, Tahani would be next after she finally is in a good place with her family, but I did love the twist that she ends up actually wanting to be an architect instead, because that is something I do think she would excel at and enjoy doing for the rest of her existence.  Brilliant idea!

And then, of course, Chidi and Eleanor.  Chidi would be the one who would want to go first and Eleanor understandably want to do everything to avoid it, and he'd comply of course, since he truly loves her.  But Eleanor is no longer that selfish person from the pilot, so she'll eventually realize that she is preventing him from finding peace, and let him go at the end.  Yep, Eleanor has truly become a great person.  All of this was both sad, but also uplifting and sweet at the same time.  Kristen Bell and William Jackson Harper just nailed that dynamic.

Glad that almost every supporting character got a moment here like Jason's family (Pillboi!), Tahani's family, Shawn, Vicky, Derek, Simone, the Judge, the Doorman, Eleanor's friends, Chidi's brother, and even freaking Mindy St. Claire!  I think the only one major void might have been Trevor/Adam Scott, but even then, he wasn't as important as the rest of them.  I'm glad all of them seem to have found their purpose and are truly happy (even Shawn and Vicky: demons deserve happiness too!  As long as torturing isn't involved...)

Last, but certainly not least, there is Michael's ending: becoming a human, getting to live a human life, and hopefully getting a shot at being an official member of The Good Place.  Perfect.

Bummed that we didn't get a cameo from either Blake Bortles or Stone Cold Steve Austin, but Nick Offerman was a hoot (especially since he was credited as Nick Offerman, so I guess that was the real Nick helping Tahani out!), and I'm glad they got Mary Steenburgen in there for a scene!

Kind of wished the after show was longer, but it was nice seeing how close the cast is.  In particular, William and Manny Jacinto really seem tight, and Jameela Jamil clearly looks up to Ted Danson a lot, which since this was her first acting role ever, makes sense and I'm glad she was able to work alongside someone who seems like he provided provided a lot of great support and guidance for the cast.

Fare thee well, The Good Place.  Overall, I do think this was the right time to end it since I felt like the overall season was more hit or miss compared to the others, but I can safely say that this was one of my favorite sitcoms of all time, and I will definitely want to rewatch this several times in the future.  Thanks you, Mike Schur and crew for creating another great one.  And, of course, the cast.  Ted Danson was amazing as always, this turned me into a huge Kristen Bell fan (I was kind of indifferent to her in the past), and I'm thrilled that it introduced me to the likes of D'Arcy Carden, Jameela Jamil, Manny Jacinto, and especially William Jackson Harper, and I can't wait to see what they all do next.  Factor in some great guest turns from the likes of Marc Evan Jackson, Tiya Sircar, and more, and this is easily one of my favorite ensembles ever.  So forking good!

• Love 24

I don’t know if I have ever cried so much at an ending of a show. At first I was a little mad because I wanted to laugh and be happy. But like Eleanor, I realized that was a self motive and I had to let the show be what it has always been - funny as heck with real emotion and philosophy. 
I have enjoyed this ride and it never got old. Though I could probably watched forever, I am happy that it left on top. 

• Love 8

Didn’t love the end (other than Michael’s end). The narrative structure in which characters struggle for peace of mind for years; their triumph is glossed over in minutes; and then they die is common, but it doesn’t work for me. 

Still think the show as a whole, particularly that perfect first season, was among the best of all time. Truly the Blake Bortles of 21st century tv, motherforkers. 

• Love 13
18 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Still a bit mixed over the idea that basically being wiped out of any existence is the final end for everyone, but within that storyline, I think everything fell into place like it should have. 

Was that actually the case though? They did say they didn't know what would happen after they went through the door, and then ended with the little light showing up on earth and seemingly directing the guy with the mail.  

• Love 10

Nope. I didn’t enjoy having to watch these characters keep choosing to end their existence and I didn’t need another scene of Eleanor and Chidi saying goodbye to each other. I hated last week and I hated this week and it’s so sad to me since I absolutely adored this series. This finale forked up the series for me.

I DID love Michael becoming human. It’s what he always wanted. Tahani becoming an architect to help people was lovely. The other three just ending things because “why not!” was awful, IMO.

• Love 22

It reminded me of the ending of Parks and Recreation. The real conceptual ending was last week and this was kind of an extended Happily Ever After. Bring back all the recurring characters, and it's 90 minutes of warm fuzziness. It was sweet but I'm glad the show ended when it did. 

I'm not sure how I felt about Michael becoming human since, he didn't really? He still has all the memories and knowledge from his previous "life" so he's very different from every human on earth. He also starts "life" in his 60s or thereabouts. It's a cool idea though. 

Also did anyone else think of the afterlife being kind of like "San Junipero" in Black Mirror? Death is a big party and you can stay as long as you want, and when you're ready to leave you get to leave. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, meatball77 said:

I'm not crying you're crying.

Yes I am. 😭😭😭

I loved it. I will probably form more articulate thought on it tomorrow, but it really was perfect to me. The idea that each of then accomplished exactly what they needed was great and I loved how their matured relationships worked. That speech by Chidi destroyed me, but so did Tahani's family. I loved that they got time with their families and not just each other.

I am gonna miss this show.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Aileen said:

I DID love Michael becoming human. It’s what he always wanted. Tahani becoming an architect to help people was lovely. The other three just ending things because “why not!” was awful, IMO.

When I first saw the title of this episode, "Whenever You're Ready" I found it very off-putting. I thought I did not want to watch an episode of the different characters deciding they were ready. However in terms of the actual execution of the episode I was actually very happy with the way things played out. It did not feel to me in any way that Jason, Chidi, and Eleanor decided "why not!" Jason wasn't simply bored with everything. Since we saw his big "sporting" triumph and Donkey Doug proud of him it felt more like closure (for want of  better word). Tahani, too, had healed her relationship with her family and accomplished everything she had set out to do in this phase of her existence. I did love the fact that she took a different path.

I was basically weeping (but in a good way) from the point where Jason knew he was ready to go. And although I thought I dreaded the idea of Chidi and Eleanor deciding to go through the final door, the way William Jackson Harper showed Chidi's feelings about how he was done even though he didn't want to hurt Eleanor made it worth it. And I liked that they dealt with the pain of people who love each other going at different times.

I was so glad that Kristen chose to toast Will in the wrap-up discussion. "Spontaneity and consistency."

• Love 17