Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: Whenever You're Ready

I don't particularly care for the conceptual choice of ending the show with, heaven is a big party and when you get bored, you can go home. (It's like when my kids ask how long we're going to stay at something and I say, until we're not having fun anymore. It worked great until the time when we were at someone's house and it got to the point where it was socially necessary to leave, like they had invited us for lunch and it was getting close to dinner, so we announced we were leaving and the kids all loudly protested, but we're still having fun! Whoops)

Anyway, but I could deal with that being the ending, if maybe we could have explored that concept for a few episodes instead of basically one episode with a long epilogue. Instead we had the never ending tale of Brent that went nowhere, and sped through this part, which actually could have been interesting. 

I find it disappointing that the show of twists and turns, 800 reboots in one episode and now off to a new unexpected thing, did basically exactly what I would have predicted. They introduced the door option, the characters all went though it. No twists, no nothing. Michael becoming a human was sweet but not a huge surprise either.

If I remove the death and afterlife implications from the show (which is dumb, because that's the whole point), it is a nice ending. Everyone from the series comes back, everyone gets their resolutions, everyone reconciles, it's great. I thought during Donkey Doug's speech that it would be interesting to have your funeral before you did, so you can hear all the (hopefully) nice things your family and friends would say about you. I like the idea of a celebration of life send-off.

All in all, my mixed feelings on the ending notwithstanding, watching this show has been a forking amazing experience, and that my phone's swipe/autocorrect still won't recognize forking as a word despite my daily use of it, is clearly evidence that we're in the Bad Place. It's been a great ride, y'all. Thanks for sharing in it.

• Love 16

I would love to see a series of mini episodes, you tube videos or webisodes, on Tahani crossing off her to-do list.  Mostly because I want to see what Tahani would wear while painting a room or resurfacing her driveway.  (Can someone please post a screenshot of that list?)  Also, webisodes of Chidi doing book reviews of "garbage" books would be fabulous.  Or the Judge reviewing podcasts.  I know none of this is going to happen, but it would be fun to keep the ride going just a little longer.  Wean us off gradually.  Cold turkey sucks. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 22
1 hour ago, mikem said:

I found parts of the finale very moving, but the message that you eventually just decide you're bored and decide to disintegrate didn't seem to fit in with all but the last few episodes.  I think the show undercut its own message by having Tahani decide to continue because she found a new purpose in life (so to speak).  I found it hard to believe that Chidi, in particular, wouldn't have similar feelings and be able to find a purpose.  Jason, sure, but Chidi? 

I don't like the whole idea that living in The Good Place is all about what gives you pleasure, rather than what gives you purpose. 

I didn’t see it as choosing to move on out of boredom. It was presented as being completely at peace with your current existence and choosing to move on the whatever comes next. I understand why some people don’t like the idea but to me it’s a beautiful concept. 

Edited by Guest

I'm one who thinks of complete death as scary as hell, and adding "peaceful" to that feels like it would be confining, getting old faster than forever in the GP ever would. And having it all be a  mystery just adds to the fear. But, having grappled with that for the last 2 GPs, I do feel better that Eleanor (and, presumably the rest) had a form of continued existence, even one eerily similar to MST3K's last Comedy Central episode with the characters as lights of "pure energy".  Similarly, I liked Tahani's decision.  Michael... it would've made more sense for him to be born on earth, though that would've torpedoed that last scene, I suppose.

• Love 4

Also apparently now you can choose what age you’ll be in the afterlife? Only Doug Forcett took advantage of that though.  I thought his jokes were the funniest and probably truest parts of the episode. If you spend your whole life desperately following the rules so you can have your reward, when you get to heaven you’ll want to party. 

I also feel like a lot of people would take the Tahani option. Eternal happiness WOULD get boring, but suicide is nihilism. Just get a nice middle class office job. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

Was everyone (eventually) getting into The Good Place now? I know Pillboi had shown growth last time we saw him working in the nursing home, but they’d given up on Donkey Doug.

Liked the ATM and decor in Jason’s Stupid Nick’s house. I hadn’t thought about the inside actually being a restaurant! And I was hoping we’d get one last “Foles!” as Jason ran through the door. Guess he’s too evolved for that, but I liked that he got to dance with his crew.

Welcome, OG Doug Forcett!

I don’t like the door storyline. I watch tv for laughs not this. Michael’s and Mindy’s resolutions were the only ones I liked.

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

2 of them were the philosophers who advised the writers of the show.

I loved that. It’s clear from the podcasts that they played a huge part in shaping the show and it was great seeing them in the show. 

1 hour ago, BobH said:

Most unexpected thing was that they took us through the final door, and it leads back to Earth, where apparently you become the spark of inspiration for others to "do something good", the voice in the back of their head.  So Eleanor became a good deed that helped Michael Realman.

I loved that as a callback to Eleanor’s “little voice” that guided her. It really highlighted her journey from the Arizona trash bag who ignored the voice telling her to return the wallet she found, to the girl who listened to that voice and finally as the voice inspiring someone else to do something good. 

9 minutes ago, Kiddvideo said:

Was everyone (eventually) getting into The Good Place now? I know Pillboi had shown growth last time we saw him working in the nursing home, but they’d given up on Donkey Doug.

That's what Michael said a few episodes ago. Everyone on earth gets tested and it takes as many tries as they need until they've learned enough to go to the Good Place, then once they're in the Good Place they do whatever they want until they're ready to go through the door. And since time is meaningless we all hang out with our loved ones once we get to the Good Place. That's why Tahani's sister, for example, got in before her parents. Her parents needed more work. We only saw a bit of the tests, with Brent not understanding why telling women to smile is gross. 

They were also doing the backlog of deaths in batches, apparently, with Roberto Clemente and Zora Neale Hurston and the other ones being mentioned in the meting we saw. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, mikem said:

I found it hard to believe that Chidi, in particular, wouldn't have similar feelings and be able to find a purpose.  Jason, sure, but Chidi? 

I don't like the whole idea that living in The Good Place is all about what gives you pleasure, rather than what gives you purpose. 

That is the existential question right there. 

I don't see why it can't be both. After all, Tahani decided she wanted to become an Architect and had begun that process. My original guess for the ending was going to be all of them becoming Architects tasked with ushering humans into the Good Place, but Tahani was the only one who opted for that path. 

• Love 3

I haven't really been feeling this last season, but I loved the finale. The wave speech & watching Kristen tear up just made me tear up too, & I just stayed teary from then on.

• Love 3

I loved Shawn being sincere but sounding evil and finally falling back on one last “shut up, Glenn”. 

Edited by Guest

I didn't really like this ending.  My biggest problem is probably that it was so rushed.  We spent so many episodes on the gang trying to improve the afterlife points system and prove that they deserved a chance to get into TGP themselves, but then when they finally do get there we find out there's a problem we get only 2 episodes to resolve it.  So that means it takes 2 episodes for them to solve the problem in The Good Place, hang out there for many Bearimies, become "content," and "move on" except for Tahani and Michael.  So we see all of the struggle but almost none of the reward, and then they basically ditch the reward right away in show time, even though it's supposed to be thousands of Bearimies or whatever.

Eleanor and Chidi worked so hard to stay out of hell and remain together and then this happens?

What's the appeal of being little golden sparkles that float around and influence the living to do good?  I mean that's nice and all, but there's only so much you can do on your downtime when you are little golden lights.  That's not depressing?

I am probably just not in a mood to think about the solemn truths about life that this show brought up in the last episode, but it just didn't do anything for me.

I was also sad that the gang would of course not be together anymore and that when Michael dies and makes it to TGP, Eleanor won't be there.

• Love 17

Essentially, the after life wasn’t all that.

All but Tahini wanted it to end, even if some of them were deeply in love, they wanted out of living forever.  

They all wanted to become fireflies, including Michael, who wanted to become mortal.

The judge will have run out of all the TV shows worth watching.

5 hours ago, AuxArx said:

Was the guy at the end, with the mail and the little light following him, anybody?

To be honest, I first thought it was Mike Schur with a fake beard.  That would have been so fitting.

When Nick Offerman says that you are a master woodworker, that's it.  Put a line through that  goal.

Maybe Brent was right, although he didn't deserve it.  The Good Place is where you are rewarded for a good life and passing the tests, but The Best Place is through the redwood arch.  I think you don't cease to exist, you just become part of the universe.  What could be better?

Chidi, that is how you express your feelings.  Would that I could be so eloquent.  I wish this episode had been a month earlier.

I had to laugh when Seth Myers made note of the fact that a few of them actually did go to Europe last fall to shoot those scenes, and D'Arcy was miming "keep quiet, keep quiet", but all in fun.

When Michael met up with Shawn and Vicky, etc., my heart sunk, for I thought that the entire Good Place was another setup.  Whew!

I want that Jeremy Bearimy clock.

• Love 7

I’m someone who believes that things have meaning because there is an end, so I am happy with how this all wrapped up.

We all start out as atoms that then form to become a human. Walking through the door is just letting our atoms go back to being part of the universe. 

It also made me think about people I love who suffer from severe depression. They wake up every day and think “f*** I’m still here.” Existence itself is painful for them (and this is with meds and treatment). So the idea that they could peacefully end their existence and therefore end their pain and anguish is comforting to me.

• Useful 2
  • Love 18

As expected, the show landed the finale but did not explain the afterlife to everyone’s satisfaction. 

Bravo to this show!  Well done. 

Perhaps we can all meet millions of Jeremy Bearimys in the future and debate the philosophical inaccuracies and who was right and who was wrong about what the show presented and what we all believed way back when.....

• Love 11

Well, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.  The execution and the acting and writing was top notch, but I still didn't like the ending.

Just going to pretend that last week was the finale, with Eleanor and Chidi admiring the sunset.

• Love 3

For me, this was perfect. As an atheist I struggle with the idea of an afterlife and have always felt the idea of an eternity is uncomfortable. When I'm done, I want to be done, and I love that our cockroaches got to be done when they felt ready. It wasn't out of boredom, they were /ready/. Chidi's explanation of when he'd first felt it, with his mom kissing Eleanor goodbye and Eleanor's mom rubbing the lipstick off her cheek, man, the tears were flowing over here. (I'm getting teary-eyed again just typing it, dammit.)

A thing I would've liked to see were the tests the other people related to our bunch went through. Like, I wish we could've seen how Tahani's parents learned how badly they'd treated their daughters.

I still feel we wasted too much time on the test subjects in the first half of the season and we could've had a few more episodes that felt less rushed before the finale, but to me, they landed the ending.

• Love 22

I wonder if the system works to ensure everyone makes it to the good place or if there are still some people so corrupt they cannot be rehabilitated and the bad place, with chain saw bears included, still is in business. It certainly feels like there are but Shawn is no longer evil so who is running any bad place?

and Elinor mentioned her mother multiple times but never her father. Is he still trying to get into the good place or what?

• Love 1

Did anyone else have a hard time sleeping last night after? I woke up at 12:30 and couldn't get back to sleep for hours. That finale has stuck with me. It was so poignant. I didn't cry until Chidi's wave speech but now I might want someone to recite that verbatim at my (hopefully long in the future) funeral.

• Love 3

Janet didn’t really need a finale and she did get one the second time with Jason and again with Eleanor. She experiences time differently then humans do plus like Tahani she still has a purpose and always will.   Shepherding people through the door.   Plus she has Michael to wait on 

This is definitely going on my list of shows I want to binge from pilot to finale 

I haven’t enjoyed a finale this much since The Americans and Big Bang Theory.   What I liked is that all three shows avoided last minute gotcha moments and remained true to the dna of the show., 

Edited to add:   Did we see Brett in the afterlife?  I missed him.   The other two made an appearance but I don’t remember seeing Brett.

Further edit:  out of everything I think my favorite moment was Eleanor and the Judge when The  judge Said that the group had saved the afterlife but it was their tone.    

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 8

I watched from the very first episode so I’m a fan but not a big one since the Good Place isn’t even my first or second favorite show that currently airs on Thursday nights.  

That said, I really liked the finale.  Wasn’t excited after last weeks episode about possibly watching them each go through the door but it was done in such a beautiful and thoughtful way.  Each main character had a ending that perfectly completed their life story.  And we got a lot of stray loose ends about the show tied up too.  

My favorite part was Brent trying to explain that he was only being helpful when he told a woman to smile if she actually looked prettier smiling. A lot of people though Brent’s white male privileged ass of a character was over the top last season but that scene was just pitch perfect.  

I’m sorry to see this show go.  

Edited by VanillaBeanne
  • Love 3

The ending seemed like a strong endorsement of suicide. And as for the “oh it’s not about suicide, the door is a metaphor for human mortality” argument, the comparison falls apart because most of us don’t die by choice or wish to die by choice. Most of us will be dragged from existence kicking and screaming.

3 hours ago, fireice13 said:

I’m someone who believes that things have meaning because there is an end, so I am happy with how this all wrapped up.

We all start out as atoms that then form to become a human. Walking through the door is just letting our atoms go back to being part of the universe. 

It also made me think about people I love who suffer from severe depression. They wake up every day and think “f*** I’m still here.” Existence itself is painful for them (and this is with meds and treatment). So the idea that they could peacefully end their existence and therefore end their pain and anguish is comforting to me.

The idea that they’ll embrace suicide as a solution is comforting to you? That is extremely fucked up.

And frankly, what worries me about the show’s rosy depiction of suicide is that mentally fragile people will watch the finale and think that suicide is a lovely, beautiful thing. I mean, yes, theoretically, all of us on Earth can go “whenever we’re ready” (a much nicer way of putting it than dying by suicide) but it’s downright nihilistic to suggest that that’s a choice to feel good about and to actively embrace. 

Edited by Eyes High
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12
24 minutes ago, pennben said:

I truly don’t understand the comparison to suicide. Maybe it’s an age thing, or a having watched someone dying and as they gasp their last breaths telling them “it’s okay to go” thing, but comparing spending time in utter joy and then, while totally at peace, feeling at one with the universe and choosing to open that door.....that’s not at all what I think suicide is as we know it. These folks weren’t escaping anything. 

They’re not choosing in your example, though. They’re dying for certain of illness or a fatal injury, and they have a choice whether or not to struggle to resist it. The difference is between someone who’s drowning in a well with no way out and stops struggling to put an end to their agony, and someone who decides to end it all and jump into a well to drown. No one was forcing Jason, Chidi or Eleanor to go through the door. They weren’t terminally ill. If they wanted to hang around for all eternity, no one would have stopped them.

So yes, the comparison to suicide absolutely holds, and I found it not only nihilistic but shockingly irresponsible. If the show were stripped of the metaphysical trappings and concluded with several of the main characters deciding to blow their brains out because life was too boring and they’d had enough, there would be an enormous outcry, but instead everyone seems to be sobbing about how beautiful, lovely and moving suicide is. It’s bullshit. 

Edited by Eyes High
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
5 minutes ago, pennben said:

Well, that would be a completely different show.  

But the door with Janet is just a lovely, beautified, sanitized gloss on a very ugly, nasty and nihilistic idea. If the method for ending their existence wasn’t walking through a door but Janet lovingly handing them a special metaphysical gun, a special metaphysical noose or special metaphysical sleeping pills, I doubt people would be moaning and weeping over the magnificent beauty of the affair, but the end result would be the same and at least guns or sleeping pills would be more intellectually honest.

Most people who have lost someone they cared about to suicide cried buckets, but they weren’t crying about how lovely and gorgeous it was, I can tell you that.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
On 1/24/2020 at 6:08 AM, Harvey said:

I'm gonna miss these ultra vague episode descriptions that basically give nothing away.

Then you would definitely like the episode descriptions for The Magicians. Some examples:

Penny licks an egg; Alice gets jealous of a flower.

Quentin yells at a plant. Margo stares at a fish.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

10 hours ago, AuxArx said:

I was waiting for our local celebrity Mary Steenburgen to show up, and there she was.

Was the guy at the end, with the mail and the little light following him, anybody?  

I'm pretty sure that was kurt braunohler, although he's not credited with being on the finale (yet, at least)

6 hours ago, Blue Plastic said:

I didn't really like this ending.  My biggest problem is probably that it was so rushed.  We spent so many episodes on the gang trying to improve the afterlife points system and prove that they deserved a chance to get into TGP themselves, but then when they finally do get there we find out there's a problem we get only 2 episodes to resolve it.  So that means it takes 2 episodes for them to solve the problem in The Good Place, hang out there for many Bearimies, become "content," and "move on" except for Tahani and Michael.  So we see all of the struggle but almost none of the reward, and then they basically ditch the reward right away in show time, even though it's supposed to be thousands of Bearimies or whatever.

Eleanor and Chidi worked so hard to stay out of hell and remain together and then this happens?

What's the appeal of being little golden sparkles that float around and influence the living to do good?  I mean that's nice and all, but there's only so much you can do on your downtime when you are little golden lights.  That's not depressing?

I am probably just not in a mood to think about the solemn truths about life that this show brought up in the last episode, but it just didn't do anything for me.

I was also sad that the gang would of course not be together anymore and that when Michael dies and makes it to TGP, Eleanor won't be there.

I agree.  This felt really rushed to me.  Re: the bolded- I haven't read any interviews so I could be totally off-base, but I didn't think they just continually floated around for eternity.  I thought their essence (or whatever) floated to earth, inspired an act of kindness and then that was it.  Poof.  Gone.  Which, also as an atheist, I am ok with.  

• Love 7

I found it all kind of schmaltzy and sappy.  I also didn't like that they used the "Bearimy" units to refer to time.  It stripped the show of all sense of how long they were actually there.  1000 years?  10 million years?

Why were Tahani and her sister so surprised at the way their parents acted?  The entire point of the test is that it is soul purification and the people will be drastically different than their time on Earth.  Hitler, for example, could come out loving Jews.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Ray Adverb said:

I found it all kind of schmaltzy and sappy.  I also didn't like that they used the "Bearimy" units to refer to time.  It stripped the show of all sense of how long they were actually there.  1000 years?  10 million years?

Why were Tahani and her sister so surprised at the way their parents acted?  The entire point of the test is that it is soul purification and the people will be drastically different than their time on Earth.  Hitler, for example, could come out loving Jews.

I think that was the whole point of using bearimies....that we weren’t to know how long they were there. That it was an infinite time before they were “ready”. If put into years it takes away the otherworldliness of the afterlife.

and just because you know something logically doesn’t mean you won’t be surprised when you see it put before your eyes. 

• Love 17

8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

This ending, where our heroes (except for Tahani and Michael) all choose to end their existences, cant stop this from feeling like a "sometimes suicide is for the best" ending, if you continue to look at this show as a metaphor for life.

Except for some very specific circumstances, suicide is NOT for the best, and I found this part of the finale to be very troubling.  There were too many analogies to real-life aspects of suicide, and the show seems to glamorize and justify suicide.

Suicide doesn't have to be sudden or out of despair.  There was a play a while back where the main character announces to her mother that she's going to kill herself this evening because her life isn't the way she hoped it would be, it doesn't look like it's going to get better, and so, why keep going?  In the play, the woman is very calm and at peace about her decision, which she's carefully considered.  Of course, her mother is devastated and tries desperately to talk her out of it.

This episode, particularly the part where Chidi tells Eleanor that he knows he's hurting the people he's leaving behind, but he's just not happy with his existence anymore, was very reminiscent of that play for me, and there's a clear metaphor for Chidi committing suicide there IMO. 

The part where Jason has a big party before he ceases to exist is something that is done by some people who commit suicide. 

I was really bothered by Jason calling out, "Hey, wait up, Chidi!" before rushing through the door that Chidi had just gone through.  Jason seemed to be literally calling out to Chidi (I don't give Jason credit for knowingly calling out like that to a non-existent Chidi metaphorically), and he didn't seem to understand that Chidi was no longer there to hear him.  So Jason seemed to be ceasing existence without a full understanding of what that meant.  Jason is wise in many ways, but naive in many ways.  Sometimes, you hear about a child or young teen committing suicide, and you wonder whether that kid really understood what he or she did.  When Jason called out to Chidi, I was half-expecting Janet to stop him and say, "You know Chidi's not there anymore, right?  Do you understand that?"

From reading an interview with Mike Schur, I don't think he considered the suicide analogies, but they are there and troubling.

Edited by mikem
  • Love 18

I'm fascinated, reading all these interpretations of the finale, and I find myself agreeing with EVERYone, which is weird and dichotomous. I completely understand the suicide comparisons, and yet also the explanations that it's not at all that.

I was too emotional to even process this last nite, and frankly, I still am. There are tears streaming down my face as I write this, as my honey and I tried to discuss it this am, and I don't really quite understand them myself, they seem to have a life of their own. Clearly, they're about more than just a tv show, no matter how fine a one it is; clearly, I'm crying about life and death too, but I mostly feel okay about the concepts of life and death. I don't grapple with questions about an afterlife or religious concepts, I'm an agnostic-leaning-hard-toward-atheism (I probably really AM a full on atheist, but I have commitment issues), I think when we die, we die, and I've always been fine with that. Life is rich, and generally pretty long, and I never felt compelled to feel we needed more after that (which is a statement to my privilege, probably: tho my life is far from perfect or fulfilled in so many ways, I've always been loved and happy, for the most part.).

I grew up, tho, in a religion that taught of an apocalyptic Armageddon, which, if you made it thru, you'd find yourself forever on a paradise on earth. I never actually believed it, but I loved fantasizing about that, about forever to read all the books I wanted to read, and play with lions and tigers and bears who would let me cuddle and pet them, about taking a hundred years to learn a different language, another hundred to learn piano, glassblowing, pottery, whatever. And the Good Place's eternity was even better, cuz unlike the moralistic forever preached by former religion, they could have movies and books and tv shows that wouldn't be allowed in that paradise. They had talking dogs. They could 'fly' to Paris or Greece or anywhere their heart desired at a second's notice. I honestly can't conceive of growing bored or unsatisfied with that, and there was still so much to learn and do and grow. Tho of course, I have no concept of how long forever really is, because none of us do.

So the idea that they'd want to leave all that is not something I can understand, and even more...they left people they loved. People they were happy with, who loved them, who fought for them. And for...what? For nothingness. For ceasing to exist. In the end, at least for me, it seemed that Chidi just did not love Eleanor enough to stay. And that's heartbreaking. And like most anyone who has been told they their loved one is leaving them, Eleanor tried desperately to get him to NOT go, but you can't make someone who's already gone in their heart stay.

And the idea that Jason, the most inherently youthful and joyful one of the gang, just decided he was done...that did not ring true at all for me.

Nor did them not having ANY fear about walking thru the door. Not one of them knew what was coming, tho I assume they assumed NOTHING was coming, but they didn't know. The Good and Bad places all had lots of twists and surprises, and there could have been something truly terrible thru that door. So them doing it so...blithely...I can't wrap my brain around it.

Ultimately, for me, only Tahani got a good ending, because she kept seeking purpose and knowledge and adventure. I'm not an ambitious person at all, I'm lazy and introverted and a comfort/pleasure seeker, I wouldn't likely be trying to rule the good place or wherever, but I do think I'd just keep wanting...to exist. To have new experiences. Tho I guess the point was they'd done just about everything and there wasn't much left to learn or do. I don't know.

I'm probably not really deep enough for all of this.

I also got  the sense that the little twinkly firefly/star thing that Eleanor, and presumably all of them, became was just a one time deal. So she gave up living to get Michael a piece of junk mail? Not satisfying for me.

Ugh, I don't know. I really don't. I found it all poignant, and I laughed and cried, and I loved a lot of it, but I found it just too fucking sad, overall. I don't think that was intended, but there it is.

• Love 20

I actually thought the conceptual choice for the finale was brilliant and I don’t see walking through the door as suicide at all.   The show has always been about what we put into the universe.   Good and bad it matters.   So when each of the characters reached the point where they felt they had nothing left to put into the universe they walked through the door into the last great unknown but even that made Eleanor a little spark of goodness that caused the dude to give Michael his gift card instead of throwing it away and put a little happiness into Michael’s life and in turn the universe.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 13
27 minutes ago, AuxArx said:

Jason’s a pretty good dancer.  Has that talent been shown before?

What did the guy name the real frog?  I didn’t catch it and didn’t have closed captioning on.

Mr Jumpylegs.

I have a question too.  I have a 32" tv and couldn't read the texts that Michael was looking at when he was on Earth. Who were they from?

Loved the cricket reference in Tahani's bucket list (breaking Graham Gooch's record) which I imagine meant nothing to most viewers!  

• Love 2