Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E01: Blast Off

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

That guy's piece for Billy Porter was kind of overwrought and tortured. Whereas Christian's tuxedo gown that Billy wore to the Oscar's was swoony perfection.

I agree-- when he said he made "that thing for Billy Porter" my mind immediately visualized the tuxedo gown. Not that .... whatever it was they showed a picture of.

• Love 12

I am really glad PR is back and I don’t have a problem with any of the regulars. But I do roll my eyes when the judges moan about “taste levels” or “juvenile” when wearing lace tablecloths and puffy pink sleeves. 

Brandon was brutal to Asma but it kind of made me laugh. 

• Love 13

All last night I kept thinking "Thank god this show is back on bravo." We had given up on it on Lifetime and it's so refreshing for it to be good again.

I couldn't believe Nina tried to champion those stupid poofy arm things. I think they just wanted that jumpsuit to win and needed to justify it. 

I liked the white and red ones, I was surprised they weren't in the top.

I'm a giant 60s/NYC history nerd so I really want to stay at the TWA hotel but I have zero reason to do so. 

• Love 13
5 hours ago, dleighg said:

do any New Yorkers recognize what they are looking out on? Somewhere on one of the rivers.

Looks like it’s located in the Brooklyn waterfront, east of lower Manhattan.

My favorite moment was Alan being completely distracted once the word “macaroon” was mentioned. “I’ll be right back....” as he dashes off for a snack.

• Love 23
13 hours ago, Josiemae said:

The vocal fry epidemic continues. 

Who has it?  I regularly turn off NPR because of vocal fry, but I didn't notice any in this episode of PR, thank heavens.

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I don't mind Dr. Couture wearing a white lab coat. As long as you aren't hurting anyone, do your thing. Besides, a lab coat is practical. It has pockets for tools, a measuring tape, and snacks!

I think it was in the documentary Dior and I that I first saw all the workers in the atelier wearing lab coats.  I love it.

And it is practical.  I compared Delvin to somebody I saw in the background with huge sleeves that have to get in the way.  I say pull your hair back, have glasses that don't slide down your nose, and don't wear clothes that get in the way of what you're doing.

I also loved Delvin's reclining reply to Christian: "Stress kills."  Even if the garment isn't "perfect," if it's finished and executed well, and can't be made perfect in the remaining time, why be in a dither?

5 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I really enjoyed Christian last night.  He was funny and point on with his advice and critiques.

He seems so much more comfortable this time around.  A lot more personable and funny with his tongue in cheek comments!

Like after the poncho comment, when he moved to some display (buttons?) and kind of patted them.  That seemed to be a very natural moment, and I'm gathering that things like that weren't just edited out last year.  I like it.

However, I just can't with his hair.  I have a terrible reaction to men who try to disguise their baldness with a combover, or in Christian's case, torturing his hair into the hairline he wishes he had.  I think it's even more annoying because it's not as obvious as a combover, so I'm distracted trying to figure out exactly where the hair is coming from.

• LOL 3
  • Love 12
3 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Who has it?  I regularly turn off NPR because of vocal fry, but I didn't notice any in this episode of PR, thank heavens.

RE: vocal fry-- I also did not notice it here (but agree with you on NPR-- but I like NPR too much to turn it off)

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I also loved Delvin's reclining reply to Christian: "Stress kills."  Even if the garment isn't "perfect," if it's finished and executed well, and can't be made perfect in the remaining time, why be in a dither?

I also think if they keep fussing with things they can end up making things worse or adding to something that isn't necessary and throws off the image. I rewatched last season's finale before this episode and I was really worried that Sebastian, who was almost done and had a complete and well finished collection, was going to fuss himself right out of the contest. (I honestly had forgotten who won)  He had a garment. It was complete and he was happy with it. Isn't that the best way to be? 

• Love 22
26 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

I also think if they keep fussing with things they can end up making things worse or adding to something that isn't necessary and throws off the image. I rewatched last season's finale before this episode and I was really worried that Sebastian, who was almost done and had a complete and well finished collection, was going to fuss himself right out of the contest. (I honestly had forgotten who won)  He had a garment. It was complete and he was happy with it. Isn't that the best way to be? 

Agreed.  Plus, while Christian was never a time waster and would not have just reclined and snacked, I remember him being a super fast worker who could churn out a lot in a short period of time when he competed.  So he knows there are people who can do good work in a short time. 

I remember the one season, though, that the really talented Indian contestant got on Tim's bad side for never seeming to work hard even though he made good clothes.  Swapnil?  I hope Dr Couture doesn't end up rubbing Christian the wrong way for this reason.

By the way, kudos to all of you who already know the contestants' real names.  I can never remember who they are all for at least a few weeks.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

RE: vocal fry-- I also did not notice it here

Vocal fry is one of my pet peeves (cue Rachel Zoe’s “I diiiiiie”) but I feel like in recent years, people mistakenly use the term to describe any kind of voice that annoys them. In another show forum, someone kept complaining about a particular person’s vocal fry when the person was actually guilty of uptalking. 

• Love 7

I'm so ecstatic that this show is back! I had no clue a new season was starting already and surprised it would begin so close to the end of the year when so much TV is now winding down, but so happy I have something to look forward to now over the holidays.

A pretty decent premiere and while there are the usual egos, everyone seems to be supportive and getting along (so far) which is always a plus for this show.

I'm also digging the open space of the new workroom (was not a fan of those obstructive columns they had in last year's workroom), and that the final runway will return to New York Fashion week! But February is coming up quick (or did they already finish filming the finale back in September?).

Surprised though that they didn't have the models return after talking to the top/bottom contestants, so they could inspect the outfits more closely. It was one of the few changes during the Lifetime era that I actually really liked. Hopefully they just edited it out for time and we'll see it return next week.

• Love 14

I, too, think the judges seemed harsher this year.  Last season they seemed to save their most critical statements for when the designers were off the runway, and they were doing the close-up evaluation of the garment on the model.  They were straight up saying extremely critical things--bordering on mean--right to the designer's faces.   Perhaps they've been told to up the drama, make a few designers cry or lash out right there on the runway.  Or maybe they're more comfortable now.  Nina has been doing this forever, so I didn't see much change in her judgy comments.

I also think that Christian was a little too pointedly critical in the workroom.  In some cases, he was giving specific "advice" that almost sounded like instruction.  I like Christian, but I didn't like his passive-aggressive drama flounce announcement to the workroom after Delvin defied him by continuing to chill on the couch after Christian tried to get him to show some hustle.  That was pure P/A vindictiveness, and I rather thought Christian was above those sorts of things.   Delvin better hope he never needs the Siriano Save later this season....

• Love 8

I think Alan could not go back for his fabric because he had not paid for it. He was distracted and ran off to find his partner to make sure she wasn't buying chiffon. The fabric was still on the cutting table.  Christian kept saying if you weren't in line to pay then you would have nothing.

• Useful 6
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Some of the models are too skinny. Not healthy.

I didn’t see one model who looked too skinny.  If anything some were too heavy and their stomachs get in the way of the designs.  

They seem to be going more for characters and less for talent. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

For goodness sake, this is the very first challenge and the designers are incredibly emotional and nervous.  They're artists and this is their art!

Well yes, but they are also people who had to prove their skills to be chosen for this tremendous opportunity.  Dozens or hundreds were beat out and sent home, so they had better be prepared for some serious soul-crushing criticism.  If they can't take it, they should learn coding or something.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I, too, think the judges seemed harsher this year.  Last season they seemed to save their most critical statements for when the designers were off the runway, and they were doing the close-up evaluation of the garment on the model.  They were straight up saying extremely critical things--bordering on mean--right to the designer's faces.   Perhaps they've been told to up the drama, make a few designers cry or lash out right there on the runway.  Or maybe they're more comfortable now.  Nina has been doing this forever, so I didn't see much change in her judgy comments.

Like I said earlier, Karlie Kloss was on Fallon to promote the show and from what she said I 100% think this is what's happening.  She said she was a lot more aggressively critical this season (which annoyed me off the bat) and said that there's "Lots of drama".  Fallon jumped in "Oh yeah that's why people watch" and Karlie agreed.  No one in the audience reacted.  

Even though I'm a big PR fan, I thought it was really awkward that Karlie addressed Fallon's audience as if they tune in every year.  LOL.  She spoke as if everyone knows how she is as a judge and is so looking forward to her "changes" this time around.  Uh.  I don't think so.

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Well yes, but they are also people who had to prove their skills to be chosen for this tremendous opportunity.  Dozens or hundreds were beat out and sent home, so they had better be prepared for some serious soul-crushing criticism.  If they can't take it, they should learn coding or something.

I personally thought Brandon was needlessly rude.  There is constructive criticism, and then there's just being outlandish for soundbites or shock value.  I'm not sure if "What the actual hell" helps anyone improve.

Also like I said upthread, it seems some of the judges have made a conscious decision to be more "aggressive with their criticism".  What this means to me is, they don't really care about criticism helping the designers, but rather, they're amping up and likely even faking critiques for the hopes of better ratings.  Kind of pathetic.  That kind of spells out they don't have any real voice when it comes to critique but can be molded by a producer saying "Be bitchier and try to make them cry, please!"  And if that's the case, they lose any credibility (not that Karlie had any) and the audience loses interest in what they have to say.  Tim and Heidi, not that I am superfans of them or anything, were pretty damn popular not for being assholes to the contestants, but for all sorts of other reasons.  Although Tim was an asshole in "Under the Gunn" and look how successful that show turned out (snorts).

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 10
14 minutes ago, caitmcg said:

$250 for a polyester crepe jumpsuit with the care directive "wipe clean only" thanks to those strips of vinyl.

I started carrying around a clear vinyl bag last year because I thought it was so cool that I could see through it and didn't have to fumble for my keys.  Then I found out that vinyl/PVC could possibly cause cancer and that was the end of that.  That's all I could think of for the teams who used it.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

started carrying around a clear vinyl bag last year because I thought it was so cool that I could see through it and didn't have to fumble for my keys. 

My only experience with a clear vinyl bag was when I was a cashier at a discount department store (Korvettes for those old enough to remember) and they made us use those as a personal "handbag" to prevent theft LOL.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, charming said:

One thing I did not need to see was the endless Hester Sunshine commercials. She grates my nerves and is a terrible actress.

Oh yes...….

Thank God for fast forward

• Love 9
45 minutes ago, dleighg said:

My only experience with a clear vinyl bag was when I was a cashier at a discount department store (Korvettes for those old enough to remember) and they made us use those as a personal "handbag" to prevent theft LOL.

If you attend any major sporting event in person these days, you have to use a clear vinyl bag.  I have two.....

I could have used without seeing dear Hester ever again, but thought her commercial would have been incredibly funny if the reveal was the room cleared of everything but a single hook with a hat on it and a little cardboard box.

And kill me if you want to, but I liked Dr. Couture!  Especially since he carefully pressed his lab coat before putting it on.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

If you attend any major sporting event in person these days, you have to use a clear vinyl bag.  I have two.....

really? I went to Yankees stadium this summer to see them play the sox and didn't have to do that

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, morakot said:

I only found out we had a contestant from Seattle in the show this afternoon -- and, oops, there, she's gone, pink hair and all!

There's still Melanie from Eastsound, WA. (I looked on Google Earth. It's an island near Vancouver. It looks beautiful!) She was working with Geoffrey in the muscle shirt having an anxiety attack at Mood. They bonded over their affinity for architectural structure & he wisely ditched the modest woman with the loud colors.

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

It's Sewing 101 to recognize when you need stretchy or drapey fabric vs. a non-stretch fabric. I remember learning that lesson as a teenager.

I used to love Karen Kane dresses cut on the bias and yes in 100% cotton. The bias gave them a bit of stretch or "ease" and they draped beautifully.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

really? I went to Yankees stadium this summer to see them play the sox and didn't have to do that

Nor at Tropicana Field (Tampa Rays).

6 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

However, I just can't with his hair.  I have a terrible reaction to men who try to disguise their baldness with a combover, or in Christian's case, torturing his hair into the hairline he wishes he had.  I think it's even more annoying because it's not as obvious as a combover, so I'm distracted trying to figure out exactly where the hair is coming from.

For me, those with intelligence and talent can do whatever the fuck they want with their hair. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, dleighg said:

what bridge are they looking at; if it's Brooklyn they must be looking north I think?

At first glance, as a NY-er, I thought their setting could be the South Street Seaport area (all the way downtown Manhattan).....looking across the East River.  Not sure...but beautiful view!

• Love 1

I just watched the episode and haven't read comments yet, so here goes . . .

First of all, I'm so glad the show is back! Hurrah!

Did Veronica remind any of you of season 8 Gretchen? In looks, I haven't seen enough of her personality but if she starts walk around giving critiques to the other designers . . . I did like her garment the best. However, out of the top 4, I liked Brittany's the best, so I'm glad she won.

When Asma said "No one's every seen anything like this before" about her garment, I thought, "Yes, I have! In that season where the woman from India made the unintentional clown costume for a child."

It looks like we have a variety of people, which is nice. I'm rooting for Nancy since she's close to my age. I wonder if there will be any kind of mention of Chris March, especially since he was on Christian's season and the show's back with Bravo and Magical Elves.

• Love 10

Re: not going back for the fabric-they are filming in Brooklyn. It would take WAY too long to go to Mood and back. In Season 5 when the designer DID go back, they were at Parsons and could walk there and back in a short amount of time.

• Useful 11
  • Love 4

I just finished watching.  I wasn't expecting a double elimination but I agree with the decision.  I am thoroughly confused as to why Asma acted like the material they chose was assigned to them and they had no say in it?  She chose those fugly colors in cotton and then tried to play victim.  So glad I don't have to deal with her "modest" aesthetic for any more episodes--which brings me to questions about this "modesty..."

19 hours ago, Audpaud said:

Both had to go so Super Double Bubble Muslim lady couldn't claim discrimination is my gut feeling. Both deserved it tho'. Was she wearing gloves or were they tatooed?

So, I simply cannot reconcile this idea of claiming to live a modest lifestyle while at the same time rocking 6" lashes, henna tattoos and designing clothes that are so audacious that "modest" would be the last descriptor come to mind.  (Actually, audacious may be too kind a word but it was the first that came to mind with the colors and accessories.) Those boots that Asma gave her model looked straight outta Elton John's closet and I don't think anyone has ever accused Elton of being modest.   I'm glad she's gone.

I actually thought Dr. Couture's team should've been in the top and I don't get all the swooning over the winning team's garments.  The jumpsuit was cute but I thought the bronze military one was miles better and I didn't like the length of the Sergio dress--i wanted it to be a tad shorter.   But I do like the Austin TX woman who won.  Going from driving an Uber to being the first challenge winner on PR has got to be surreal.  Glad PR is back!

• Love 12

I was so disgusted with those last couple of years on Lifetime, I would just ff to the runway--and then roll my eyeballs at the judging.  SO nice that it's back on Bravo.  A little bit of time to create, a decent amount of money at Mood.  (It's kind of a shame they're forced to carom through Mood like a bunch of crazy bumper cars, but I don't know why they wouldn't all arrange to go familiarize themselves with the Mood layout in advance.)

Anyway, full credit to the producers for introducing the cast members in such a way that I have a tenuous grip on . . . maybe ten out of the remaining fourteen.  That's great (for me) and makes me eager for the next episode.

• Love 13
9 hours ago, dleighg said:

what bridge are they looking at; if it's Brooklyn they must be looking north I think?

I think it’s the Williamsburg bridge. Looks like the new workroom is near where the Brooklyn Navy Yards used to be.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, DEL901 said:
9 hours ago, caitmcg said:

$250 for a polyester crepe jumpsuit with the care directive "wipe clean only" thanks to those strips of vinyl.

And $45 for a clear vinyl fanny pack? Uh, no. 

On top of that, it appears that the inseam and sleeve lengths are the same for sizes XS-XL. 

300773DC-111F-4FBE-9557-DE8B0BB174A0.thumb.jpeg.d37b2ae0ca40838e22a99d55b2924942.jpeg

8 hours ago, meep.meep said:

8 hours ago, dleighg said:

The Oakland A’s and the Cal Bears have been making people use clear bags for a few years now. It’s super annoying, partly because it’s inconvenient, partly because security is selective about enforcing the rules, and mostly because it doesn’t make attending a football/football game any safer. 

• Love 1
On 12/6/2019 at 3:32 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I honestly really genuinely liked Dayoung and her partner, I'm sorry, I don't know his name.

I think it's Campy Nick Kroll.

16 hours ago, RockShrimp said:

I'm a giant 60s/NYC history nerd so I really want to stay at the TWA hotel but I have zero reason to do so. 

Surely "I really want to" is reason enough. Treat yo'self!

Conspiracy theory: the Siriano Save combined with a group challenge first up suggests that no matter who the losing team was, they were both going home. Drama!

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
4 minutes ago, Fake Jan Brady said:

Conspiracy theory: the Siriano Save combined with a group challenge first up suggests that no matter who the losing team was, they were both going home. Drama!

Probably. I mean-- they have to fit the number of contestants to the number of episodes. So if you want a save, you've got to have a double elimination somewhere. (I know not strictly true, but otherwise you start out with "not enough contestants for the episodes" w/o the save. 

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, RockShrimp said:

51 minutes ago, Fake Jan Brady said:

Surely "I really want to" is reason enough. Treat yo'self!

I agree - DO IT!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The Oakland A’s and the Cal Bears have been making people use clear bags for a few years now. It’s super annoying, partly because it’s inconvenient, partly because security is selective about enforcing the rules, and mostly because it doesn’t make attending a football/football game any safer. 

We have to do this for Patriots and Red Sox games too- anything larger than a wristlet/clutch needs to be clear. Nothing like carrying your tampons into a football game in a see-through bag!

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

Probably. I mean-- they have to fit the number of contestants to the number of episodes. So if you want a save, you've got to have a double elimination somewhere. (I know not strictly true, but otherwise you start out with "not enough contestants for the episodes" w/o the save. 

Agreed. I was happy to have a double elimination early on, and without all the "one, or two! of you will be out" foreshadowing. Get it over before I get emotionally invested in anyone. And so often double elims are arbitrary and unfair, imo. One person deserves the auf but because they HAVE to eliminate two, someone who isn't really auf-worthy is axed. Now the playing field is level and if someone is saved by Christian its all good. 

• Love 5
On 12/6/2019 at 7:34 AM, dleighg said:

I didn't understand what happened with the missing fabric. The guy who needed it is the one who looked at it on the table and said it wasn't his, right? Is he an idiot?

In Mood one of the other contestants said Alan’s partner left the fabric on the cutting table.  Alan looked at it and said his partner wasn’t getting chiffon and then muttered he hoped she wasn’t getting chiffon.  In the workroom Alan was looking for his organza fabric.  Apparently the chiffon really wasn’t his.  Don’t know what happened to his organza.  That footage must be on the cutting room floor.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1