Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E01: Blast Off

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

I just finished watching.  I wasn't expecting a double elimination but I agree with the decision.  I am thoroughly confused as to why Asma acted like the material they chose was assigned to them and they had no say in it?  She chose those fugly colors in cotton and then tried to play victim.  So glad I don't have to deal with her "modest" aesthetic for any more episodes--which brings me to questions about this "modesty..."

So, I simply cannot reconcile this idea of claiming to live a modest lifestyle while at the same time rocking 6" lashes, henna tattoos and designing clothes that are so audacious that "modest" would be the last descriptor come to mind.  (Actually, audacious may be too kind a word but it was the first that came to mind with the colors and accessories.) Those boots that Asma gave her model looked straight outta Elton John's closet and I don't think anyone has ever accused Elton of being modest.   I'm glad she's gone.

I actually thought Dr. Couture's team should've been in the top and I don't get all the swooning over the winning team's garments.  The jumpsuit was cute but I thought the bronze military one was miles better and I didn't like the length of the Sergio dress--i wanted it to be a tad shorter.   But I do like the Austin TX woman who won.  Going from driving an Uber to being the first challenge winner on PR has got to be surreal.  Glad PR is back!

“Modest” in the way it’s used in terms of Muslim fashion doesn’t mean not standing out/simple/boring/conservative, it refers to not showing skin and fully covering the body, arms and legs.

• Useful 3
  • Love 10

Also like I said upthread, it seems some of the judges have made a conscious decision to be more "aggressive with their criticism".  What this means to me is, they don't really care about criticism helping the designers, but rather, they're amping up and likely even faking critiques for the hopes of better ratings.  Kind of pathetic.  That kind of spells out they don't have any real voice when it comes to critique but can be molded by a producer saying "Be bitchier and try to make them cry, please!"  And if that's the case, they lose any credibility (not that Karlie had any) and the audience loses interest in what they have to say. 

Someone upthread mentioned that the judges may be more comfortable now that it's their second season. I think the judges may have reflected on the first season and realized that there were times they should have given a more truthful negative critique, but held back, most likely out of kindness. It doesn't necessarily help the designer going home, but honest, "aggressive" critiques, even if they sounds harsh, can help the others who were in the bottom. If they're half-way decent designers, they will now understand more of what the judges' expectations are. They can adjust accordingly so they won't be in the bottom again the following week. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
23 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

To be fair, she never used the word modest - it’s a word others use.  Her religion mandates coverage, which is, I think, a more appropriate word.  Your clothes or designs can be colorful, edgy, or even over the top, so long as you’re covered.  

The whole purpose for full coverage in religion is modesty.  I can't imagine there's much of a market to wear flashy "look at me" clothing in the Muslim community.  

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Lemons said:

The whole purpose for full coverage in religion is modesty.  I can't imagine there's much of a market to wear flashy "look at me" clothing in the Muslim community.  

Well, when it comes to a leather-looking bustier, there's a market of at least one in the Muslim community, to judge from Asma's THs.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Jsage said:

Someone upthread mentioned that the judges may be more comfortable now that it's their second season. I think the judges may have reflected on the first season and realized that there were times they should have given a more truthful negative critique, but held back, most likely out of kindness. It doesn't necessarily help the designer going home, but honest, "aggressive" critiques, even if they sounds harsh, can help the others who were in the bottom. If they're half-way decent designers, they will now understand more of what the judges' expectations are. They can adjust accordingly so they won't be in the bottom again the following week. 

I agree. If I were a contestant, I'd rather hear the honest critiques on the runway, rather than waiting months to hear what the judges REALLY thought during the segment where they used to inspect the garments (after the designers left) or during the deliberations when the episode finally airs.

At least if you know why the judges hated what you made enough to put you in the bottom, you could try to make some changes in later challenges. When the judges save their comments for the portions that the designers aren't present for, the designers have no useful feedback that they implement to improve.

• Love 16
8 hours ago, Lemons said:

Thank you, Lemons. I'm tried to tread lightly because I don't want to read disrespectful but this is what I was trying to say.   I don't get the notion of adhering to this "modesty" tenet by insisting on full coverage but then making clothing and makeup choices that are very much "Look at me!"  

That quirk of mine aside, I'm glad Asma is gone because she struck me as a little mean and very blamey during judging.   But her self-made garment on the post elimination chat with Christian was super cute.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Lemons said:

There’s a range, though.  There are some Muslim women who have to wear a burka from head to toe, with only slots for their eyes, and some who only wear a head covering.  Similarly, while some would never veer from all-black, some want (and I guess are allowed) to be more vibrant, although I agree it’s probably not a large market.  Or maybe it depends on what part of the world you live in.  

Also, I think there are rules for what a woman can wear publicly vs. at home.  So clothes can be designed for different occasions, where modesty rules change.  

• Love 6
On 12/6/2019 at 7:39 AM, Audpaud said:

Both had to go so Super Double Bubble Muslim lady couldn't claim discrimination is my gut feeling.

I absolutely agree. I don't think Jen deserved to go home without being given another chance. Even the judges said a jumpsuit is harder to design and construct than a dress, so  Jen should've been given points at least for that. Sure, it didn't fit properly and it was pretty bland, but at least it was well sewn. Asma's outfit looked like she made a very basic A-line cotton dress then picked some fabrics, cut them in some sort of shape (also leaving raw edges because she "didn't have time" to hem it), threw them on the dress and then held everything in place with a vinyl collar. 

Melanie really has to thank the universe for being in a team with Geoffrey (by the way, doesn't he look exactly like a younger John Malkovich?) because her jute sack dress was hideous. If they really had to do a double elimination, that's who they should've sent home with Asma. Ah, no, wait, there's also Victoria with her "this is what happens when you pull a tissue out of a tissue box and they all come out" dress that looked tied together rather than sewn. 

Also not a fan of the winning team, hated the asymmetric hems with the buttons, and the general feeling of the mini collection for me was a bit meh. I actually liked Dayoung and Alan's designs with the silver stripe across the chest and could not believe they were in the bottom. I think Dayoung has great aesthetics and I hope we get to see a lot more of her designs.

I think the winning team should've been Tyler and Delvin (plus, his "no stress" attitude was everything. We should all learn from him!) Their red and white pieces were really good. Marquise's jumpsuit was also super cool and it would probably sell very well.  

Can Christian Siriano be on the panel of judges, please? He seems to be the only one who knows what he's talking about when it comes to fashion. Elaine's style and personal taste is not as bad as Heidi Klum's (who won "worst dressed" on red carpets across the globe for decades yet managed to be offered to host a fashion show), but it's a VERY close second, and her critiques are just as bad.

Edited by stormy weather
  • Love 9
On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:53 AM, NYCFree said:

Looks like it’s located in the Brooklyn waterfront, east of lower Manhattan.

My favorite moment was Alan being completely distracted once the word “macaroon” was mentioned. “I’ll be right back....” as he dashes off for a snack.

My favorite moment too; it completely cracked me up--so much than when I caught the episode rerunning Saturday morning and I kept watching just to see it again.

My thoughts so far is that this seems like a good cast. I saw lots of things that I liked; people generally seemed nice (subject to some arrogance but so far not mean arrogance). I hope it continues.

23 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

There’s a range, though.  There are some Muslim women who have to wear a burka from head to toe, with only slots for their eyes, and some who only wear a head covering.  Similarly, while some would never veer from all-black, some want (and I guess are allowed) to be more vibrant, although I agree it’s probably not a large market.  Or maybe it depends on what part of the world you live in.  

Also, I think there are rules for what a woman can wear publicly vs. at home.  So clothes can be designed for different occasions, where modesty rules change.  

And "modest" for a Muslim woman just means "covered". Not "no makeup" or "dull colors". They're not Catholic nuns, or Quakers. Even if they live in a very conservative country and wear abbayahs outside, they are probably wearing a very fashionable outfit underneath.

There are tons of fashion blogs and stores that cater to young, fashionable Muslim women.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

And "modest" for a Muslim woman just means "covered". Not "no makeup" or "dull colors". They're not Catholic nuns, or Quakers. Even if they live in a very conservative country and wear abbayahs outside, they are probably wearing a very fashionable outfit underneath.

There are tons of fashion blogs and stores that cater to young, fashionable Muslim women.

Thank you!  I feel like people have difficulty with the concept of modest dressing.  It doesn't mean plain, it simply means that your arms and legs (and chest) are covered. Clothes can be close fitting, colourful, and very fashionable. To assume that women who dress modestly have no fashion style or "can't" wear fashionable clothing is just a stereotype.  A quick search online for modest fashion will put that stereotype to rest quickly. And, it's becoming huge business in the fashion world.

• Love 12
14 hours ago, hula-la said:

Thank you!  I feel like people have difficulty with the concept of modest dressing.  It doesn't mean plain, it simply means that your arms and legs (and chest) are covered. Clothes can be close fitting, colourful, and very fashionable. To assume that women who dress modestly have no fashion style or "can't" wear fashionable clothing is just a stereotype.  A quick search online for modest fashion will put that stereotype to rest quickly. And, it's becoming huge business in the fashion world.

people have difficulty with the concept because it's called "modest" when it actually means "covered up." Since the word "modest," has a meaning outside of fashion--and it doesn't mean covered head to toe--people react to it. I know I can't decide what things get named, but I'd prefer if it was named something like "fully covered fashion" because when I hear "modest" there is part of my brain that takes exception--as if saying her fashions are modest means the clothes I wear are not. I wear modest clothes (in my opinion) using the "non-fashion" meaning of modest--i.e. skirts to the knee, necklines that don't scoop down really low. . .

• Love 1

My daughter considers her clothing modest (she dates a pastor), but it doesn't necessarily equate to covered up.  I guess my clothing is modest but that could possibly because at my age and size nobody wants to see all my stuff and neither do I!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Among a few other things, "modest" is also synonymous with "proper" and "decent," which--while certainly open to the interpretation of the beholder (individual, place of business, locations, religion...)--makes perfect sense to me when applied to attire. 

While I thought her design was just terrible, I am bummed that the pink-haired chick is gone--for no particular reason other than I have a soft spot for aging goths, haha!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3
On 12/6/2019 at 10:51 AM, HunterHunted said:

That guy's piece for Billy Porter was kind of overwrought and tortured. Whereas Christian's tuxedo gown that Billy wore to the Oscars was swoony perfection.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/patricepeck/billy-porter-red-carpet-mens-fashion-pose

I agree -- but there is a cool story behind the fabric -- it was the theatre curtain for Kinky Boots. Interesting twist. His brand is really into sustainability, upcycling, etc.

I do think Mr. Braggypants is going to get his ass handed to him, or at least I hope he does. I really can't stand contestants that are that arrogant. 

• Love 13
On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 1:26 AM, PhoneCop said:

At least she's been spared however many weeks of the judges pronouncing her name "Asthma."

My fiancé doesn't watch reality shows like I do, so I knew he'd get a kick out of there being both an Asthma and a Die Young on the show.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
On 12/6/2019 at 6:34 PM, meep.meep said:

If you attend any major sporting event in person these days, you have to use a clear vinyl bag.  I have two.....

Not at Progressive Field in Cleveland. I carried a small cross-body bag there this past summer. Everything goes through a metal detector. Bags over 16"x16"x8" are not permitted.

On 12/10/2019 at 8:00 AM, jackjill89 said:

How in the world has a designer never worked with cotton before? Seriously? That is just weird. 

Loved the double elimination because I couldn't decide whose atrocity was worse.

The comment about cotton made no sense. Even if you've never worked with it, touching it would clue you in to the stiffness of the fabric.

Nina looked horrible in that hot pink 80's throwback. She is 54-55 years old...the slightly puffy shoulder seams and gathered hem on the arm just didn't look good.

Elaine looked a bit of a mess too, her outfit looked so flashy. The two next to each other was quite a clash.

A4516157-F5A4-4152-A2DA-BD604DA1779E.jpeg

• Love 2
On 12/7/2019 at 12:08 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The Oakland A’s and the Cal Bears have been making people use clear bags for a few years now.

Huh? We live near Oakland and I go to a few A's games a year, and I have never used a clear bag. I have a small cross body purse I take and they've never said anything about it!

• Love 1

the annoying thing about her choosing cotton - didn't pink-hair (already forgot her name) ask her if she was sure if she wanted to work with a fabric that didn't stretch when they were at mood Asma selected the cotton - and Asma said it wouldn't be an issue. I would rewatch to check but I already deleted the ep - and also don't care that much.

I really hate the team challenge to start. I wish the judges got to see the individual personalities and styles at least once before throwing in the team challenges. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Anymore clothes?  It's any more clothes--two words.  I've never understood why someone would go to the trouble of making a picture with text on it that's misspelled, and it happens all the time.

I don't even know you, but this post confirms that you are my soul mate . . . 😄

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, SailorGirl said:

I don't even know you, but this post confirms that you are my soul mate . . . 😄

Would ya'll consider a soul threesome? 

Karlie is a charisma vacuum to me. I don't enjoy Christian as a judge as much as a contestant, even though that was more of a love / hate thing. But I've been hate-watching for a few years now, maybe since the Wretchen season. Or the Anya one. My favorite remains Season 2, because of the singing and jokes. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Huh? We live near Oakland and I go to a few A's games a year, and I have never used a clear bag. I have a small cross body purse I take and they've never said anything about it!

In most venues that request clear bags, purses are fine, but anything large (backpack, tote) is supposed to be clear. So something the size of the vinyl belt bag would not need to be clear, anyway. 

• Useful 1
On 12/6/2019 at 5:44 PM, dleighg said:

My only experience with a clear vinyl bag was when I was a cashier at a discount department store (Korvettes for those old enough to remember) and they made us use those as a personal "handbag" to prevent theft LOL.

Me too.  I worked there one week at age 17.  Hated it!  And the little vinyl bag too.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

The same stupid mad dash for an upside down card like last season.

I didn't remember that from last season.  So they're repeating it? 

Why a mad dash for something random and unseeable?  I don't think there's time to look at the card and put it back hoping the other random card you draw is better, even though the stakes could be kind of high since they're not guaranteed to get a walking coathanger.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

The same stupid mad dash for an upside down card like last season.

I was happy to see Thinjin again though!

Oh,  I didn't watch last season.  Does a model get any award/money?  Did they have models of various sizes last year?  It would seem to complicate designing if you don't have a regular model.  But having a larger model as a steady model would also be a hinderence.  

9 hours ago, Kira53 said:

Oh,  I didn't watch last season.  Does a model get any award/money?  Did they have models of various sizes last year?  It would seem to complicate designing if you don't have a regular model.  But having a larger model as a steady model would also be a hinderence.  

I'm a "larger" person, and I can assure you that I'm quite regular.

• LOL 4
  • Love 8
On 12/6/2019 at 7:08 AM, BlackberryJam said:

Anyway, totally shocked by the double elimination but it was so deserved. Even without cohesion, both of those outfits were elimination worthy if it has been a regular challenge.

Yes, I was happy with that decision. Asma's was crazy clown, but Jenn's was so boring I couldn't quite bring it to mind until someone mentioned Thijin modelled it. Ha. Totally suburban ladies who lunch booooooring jumpsuit. Goth? I say again, ha.

On 12/6/2019 at 2:44 PM, dleighg said:

My only experience with a clear vinyl bag was when I was a cashier at a discount department store (Korvettes for those old enough to remember) and they made us use those as a personal "handbag" to prevent theft LOL.

I worked for a few months at The Broadway department store in Century City in the mid 70s. Clear plastic "purses" were de rigueur.

On 12/6/2019 at 7:09 PM, candall said:

(It's kind of a shame they're forced to carom through Mood like a bunch of crazy bumper cars, but I don't know why they wouldn't all arrange to go familiarize themselves with the Mood layout in advance.)

I'd just got done saying to my sister "why don't the designers already in NYC familiarize themselves with the store?" when Geoffrey said he lived in NYC and bemoaned not getting to know Mood really well. 😀

On 12/12/2019 at 9:46 AM, Deskisamess said:

Nina looked horrible in that hot pink 80's throwback. She is 54-55 years old...the slightly puffy shoulder seams and gathered hem on the arm just didn't look good.

A4516157-F5A4-4152-A2DA-BD604DA1779E.jpeg

I also commented on how horrible that color is on Nina. Has she lost weight? She looks a lot thinner to me. She's getting close to lollipop here.

On 12/12/2019 at 3:20 PM, lauraborealis said:

Karlie is a charisma vacuum to me.

This. Supermodel from yesteryear Elle McPherson was someone I could never keep in my brain. Every time I saw her I was impressed with how completely bland her looks were. I'd never be able to pick her out of a line-up because whenever she was out of my sight, I'd forget what she looked like. Karli approaches this level for me.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, carrps said:

Yes, I was happy with that decision. Asma's was crazy clown, but Jenn's was so boring I couldn't quite bring it to mind until someone mentioned Thijin modelled it. Ha. Totally suburban ladies who lunch booooooring jumpsuit. Goth? I say again, ha.

I worked for a few months at The Broadway department store in Century City in the mid 70s. Clear plastic "purses" were de rigueur.

I'd just got done saying to my sister "why don't the designers already in NYC familiarize themselves with the store?" when Geoffrey said he lived in NYC and bemoaned not getting to know Mood really well. 😀

I also commented on how horrible that color is on Nina. Has she lost weight? She looks a lot thinner to me. She's getting close to lollipop here.

This. Supermodel from yesteryear Elle McPherson was someone I could never keep in my brain. Every time I saw her I was impressed with how completely bland her looks were. I'd never be able to pick her out of a line-up because whenever she was out of my sight, I'd forget what she looked like. Karli approaches this level for me.

huh...…….I think Nina looks lovely in that dress

• Love 2
On 12/5/2019 at 10:56 PM, susannot said:

I really loved the military style jumpsuit.  Surprised, because I thought Jeffrey would be the first out.

Annoyed that Sergio (I am already as good as Christian and Brandon) was on the winning team.

I agree about Sergio, but to be fair, I have to confess he seemed a little more gracious than I would have expected for not winning the challenge.   I am sure that will change, unless he reads these messages, which he can't because filming is probably all done.    Perhaps he got a wake up call though.   He can leave anytime   just for attitude.  I was okay with the double delete.  Questionable which was more awful.    

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, oceanview said:

I have to get out more.  What the heck is "vocal fry"?

It's when (typically, women-- though I heard AG Bill Barr in an interview recently and he does it too) someone speaks in a (arguably) lower than "natural" register and it has a bit of a vibration, or rumble. Once you hear it/notice it, it's hard to not hear it.

40 minutes ago, dleighg said:

It's when (typically, women-- though I heard AG Bill Barr in an interview recently and he does it too) someone speaks in a (arguably) lower than "natural" register and it has a bit of a vibration, or rumble. Once you hear it/notice it, it's hard to not hear it.

Thank you so much for your post.  I learn something new everyday!

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I would argue that it's only women using it, though agree it's mostly women.  No, I don't believe it's an attack.  It's a response to an inexplicable cultural affect.  See also:  Glottal stop,.

That bugs me more than vocal fry, and I HATE vocal fry.

• Love 2