Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

9 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

also am a huge fan of foreign films with subtitles. I don't understand why people got all whack about Parasite and won't see it because, subtitles.

I don't mind subtitles, but I do sometimes have trouble reading them.  I'm not saying that all the people who complain about them do, but it is a possible reason.  Plus, some people just don't like reading at the movies.  What evs.  Just means they're missing out on some great movies.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:
17 hours ago, Driad said:

How are science words "harder" than words in other fields? Boo hiss, Alex.

Well, to those of us who are not science inclined, they are.  

Yes, I said that.  Science words are not inherently harder than words from other fields.  It's a matter of what you know.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Thanks for that tidbit. I didn't know she was in an "It" movie, I always thought she was "The It Girl" because she was "all that," to use more modern vernacular.

She was pretty much why "It" in that sense came into the vernacular.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I love the old BW movies and will watch any and all of them. I'm a fan of Svengoolie, but when his movie is in color I typically do not watch. I also like the old BW tv shows, all of them, but if the series ran long enough it turned to color, I quit watching.

I also am a huge fan of foreign films with subtitles. I don't understand why people got all whack about Parasite and won't see it because, subtitles.

I'm old school all the way.

Why yes, yes she did win again. She's won more than $200,000 so far. So grab a good book to read since you don't have to watch Jeopardy today.

Subtitles don't bother me at all. I read fast, and I love hearing other languages. I watch a number of foreign series on Netflix. I particularly like hearing French, for some reason. 

• Love 2

I recently watched a series on Netflix that was in Spanish, but they dubbed in English voices (not American, but really English) but the closed captioning dialogue was very different in at least half of the conversations. Synonyms, to be sure - the sentences essentially meant the same thing - but there were different subtleties. I usually watch everything with closed captioning on, so sub-titles don't bother me, but this difference between dialogue & captions was very disconcerting.

FJ: I reasoned that "attendant" was either moons attending their planets or planets attending the sun. And Mackenzie not only used the wrong vowel, Alex, she left out an "L", too.

• Love 1

I initially guessed Charleston, but then wondered if it was Baltimore, since Maryland was technically considered a Southern state at the time even though we don’t think of it that way anymore.

Man,  Alex really messed with Mackenzie on that FJ.

I said Richmond.  I don't even think that's probably a port.  Have I mentioned my general suckiness at geography?

The only TSs I got ere swill and Nicaragua.

I got the entire categories of before swine and alliteration, and I was ever so close on women, but that last clue I was like Valentina Sher, tcher, something.

• Love 1

I got FJ, but it was a struggle to choose!  I thought of Savannah, Mobile, New Orleans, Galveston, Miami, St. Augustine, and who knows what else raced through the roulette wheel of my mind before landing on Charleston.  

I also got deserters, Basil Rathbone, swill, and shadow.  

Alex's voice really sounded rough tonight.  😞  

Bye, Mackenzie!  (But I was rooting for the woman in the middle.)

• Love 4

Well, Mackenzie's gone for now. We'll see her again, though. The new champion is likeable. FJ was easy. I got 1-1/2 TS: shadow (out out brief) and the half was English Ambassador (I guess Alex wouldn't have accepted "English", darn it... this game is too fast!!) Fun game tonight.

• Love 1

All the players did pretty well tonight. First I’d like to say that Allison really reminded me of Carla Hall. I got deserters, Basil Rathbone (I love all those old B & W Sherlock Holmes movies.), and swill. I seemed to wane after that. I did guess Charleton as FJ, but then when Alex was about to reveal, I thought oh shucks. I should have written New Orleans. They say go with your gut guess, so I’m glad that I did. 

• Love 3

Bye, MacKenzie. Not sure about Aaron, but I can't say I'll miss MacKenzie.

I got Basil Rathbone, swill, and UK ambassador. 

My initial thought for FJ was Charleston. Then, I thought too easy, maybe Savannah. I went back and forth all during the music, but settled on Charleston. GFM!

• Love 3

What was up with Alex's hesitation when Allison answered "Curie" to the clue "Born in Warsaw, she is still the only woman to win Nobel prizes in 2 different fields" in the category WOMEN? Are there two females Curies? He made her say "Marie" before he ruled her correct. Is there a Kit Curie?

More shout outs to old BW movies with Basil Rathbone. There is a whole series of those BR Sherlock movies.

My insta-thought for FJ was Savannah, then I happened to think about where Rhett Butler was born, and changed it to Charleston. Hooray for me and for old movies, even though GWTW is in color.

Congratulations to MacKenzie on a long and great run. It was the luck of the board today with her not getting any DDs or I'll bet she'd be with us another day. Looking forward to her competing in the ToC. I enjoyed her run and will be rooting for her then.

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

What was up with Alex's hesitation when Allison answered "Curie" to the clue "Born in Warsaw, she is still the only woman to win Nobel prizes in 2 different fields" in the category WOMEN? Are there two females Curies? He made her say "Marie" before he ruled her correct. Is there a Kit Curie?

Possibly Alex wanted to make sure she didn't mean Marie Curie's daughter Irene Joliot-Curie, who won "only" one Nobel prize (chemistry, 1935).

• Useful 5
  • Love 5

I waffled back & forth between Charleston & Savannah, then decided on Charleston(Alex enjoyed teasing McKenzie about her answer 🙂   I have felt badly for Alex all week, he sounds like he is suffering from a terrible head cold & maybe losing his voice tonight...I hope he is OK, but would imagine his immune system is weakened.  

• Love 4

Yes, I read somewhere that Alex had a cold during this week’s taping, but is doing fine now.

Not sorry to have a new champ.  Mackenzie had that sway, and her voice had a flat intonation that I found annoying.  Really liked the woman in the middle, though.

• Love 3

Boo, hiss - I was finally home to watch a game instead of just reading the archive, and it turned out to be MacKenzie's last.   Oh well, at least I'll see her again in the ToC.  I'd have preferred Allison be the one to unseat her, but good game -- not many TS, and no real head scratchers among them; it came down to FJ.

I had a really good game, too (I missed one in the first round and two in DJ, and correctly guessed FJ).  And the band emojis category was fun. 

• Love 2

I'm glad to read that others considered Savannah. That was my guess, but I wasn't sure if it was a stupid guess.

I got Basil Rathbone, Nicaragua, and ambassador. For the life of me I could not remember Graydon Carter's name.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Louisiana didn't become a state until 1812, so New Orleans was not in the 1790 census. 

Yes exactly why I didn't know why someone chose that city or would think it applied, unless you just can't think of another southern port city. 

A good game though

• Love 1

I got deserters, Rathbone, swill, and UK ambassador to the US. I knew FJ from the excellent history podcast Revolutions and its episodes on the Southern States theater of the American Revolution. (Although my favorite ep of the AmerRev section was the Saratoga eps, specifically the one dealing with “Gentleman Johnny’s Party Train”—deliciously snarky and informative!)

• Love 2

I was reminded of a certain TV program named "Classic Concentration" by some of the clues in the "BAND EMOJIS" category in the installment of "Jeopardy!" I had seen through what I had believed to have had been a TV channel for a TV station I would describe as local this past Thursday (note: I had believed the host of the installment of the program named "Jeopardy!" had also hosted installments of the program named "Classic Concentration").

Edited by Mario500
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Yes exactly why I didn't know why someone chose that city or would think it applied, unless you just can't think of another southern port city. 

A good game though

As I stated before, my mind started tapping out after the first round. Exhaustion. I did get FJ as my first answer. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I recently watched a series on Netflix that was in Spanish, but they dubbed in English voices (not American, but really English) but the closed captioning dialogue was very different in at least half of the conversations. Synonyms, to be sure - the sentences essentially meant the same thing - but there were different subtleties. I usually watch everything with closed captioning on, so sub-titles don't bother me, but this difference between dialogue & captions was very disconcerting.

I hate dubbing, so if it's possible I will always choose the language it was filmed in - that way I don't get bothered by the discrepancies. Unless I'm watching a German show, then I'll quibble about the translation. I lost my fluency years ago, but can still pick up what's being said.

8 hours ago, dcalley said:

Me neither. I said the “short-fingered vulgarian” guy! Correct, but not his name.

Me, I was "who 'dat?" had no idea. I guess I've got no couth.

I got Charleston because it was the only coastal city I could think of that fit the period - plus I'd just watched a Colbert bit in Charleston, and then there's Outlander. Sort of a trifecta of brain synapses firing.

• Love 3

Yay!  I can watch Jeopardy again!

I looked at the FJ question, and I knew the answer immediately.  Charleston was by far the most populous city in the southern US at the time because of its port.  It was actually the 4th most populous city in the US, behind only NYC, Philadelphia and Boston.

13 hours ago, SeanC said:

I initially guessed Charleston, but then wondered if it was Baltimore, since Maryland was technically considered a Southern state at the time even though we don’t think of it that way anymore.

Baltimore was close, about 3,000 fewer people - it was #5 on the list.  (I live in Maryland and don't consider it Southern at all, but I do get your reasoning.)

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

got FJ, but it was a struggle to choose!  I thought of Savannah, Mobile, New Orleans, Galveston, Miami, St. Augustine, and who knows what else raced through the roulette wheel of my mind before landing on Charleston.  

Of those, only Savannah was in the US at the time.  Admittedly, I had to look up Mobile to be sure about that one.

13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Mais d'accord!  lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

It would've been hilarious, but mean nothing to anyone but us, if Allison had said Kit Curie. I was really sorry she didn't win--she was fast and smart.

It broke my heart that no one knew Basil Rathbone!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I was reminded of a certain TV program named "Classic Concentration" 

Buzzr reruns several episodes of Classic Concentration, hosted by Alex Trebek, on Saturdays.

It's still fun to try to play the game, but we watch primarily to laugh at the "fabulous" cars that are prizes. At various times, there are Yugos, Daihatsus, and other cars that deserve to be forgotten. The 80s were not good for automobiles! 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Phooey.  I couldn't remember Copperhead, and so ruined a perfect FJ week.  Boo, hiss.

I might have gotten the Wednesday clue if I'd had a couple more seconds to think about it -- there just wasn't enough time.

I did get Good Friday, Cthulu, barb, and Calamity Jane.  

• Love 1

I did not get FJ, but I should have.  I got stuck on scalawag even though I knew that those were Southerners and not a creature, and then I was like it's some kind of bird.  Oh well.

I got the tSs of Cthulu (total guess), Calamity Jane (also total guess) and Prairie schooner (not really a guess since I knew it had to have the word prairie in it).

I got the entire category of geography right.  And I also got all the clues that were revealed in the unfinished category, but that doesn't count or much since they were at the top.

And I bet MacKenzie is glad she missed that Brit spell category.

And, coincidentally I finished a book called The Golem and the JInni this week, but I would have gotten golem anyway.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 1

It made me sad that no one knew José Andrés, an amazing humanitarian. 

It made me sad that I didn't know FJ. I figured snake was too obvious, so I focused on the traitor part of the clue and animals that might fit that part. Then, I started to wonder if weasels hiss, because maybe traitor, weasel..... Oh, they're looking for a specific snake. Not my finest thought process tonight.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, lb60 said:

It made me sad that I didn't know FJ. I figured snake was too obvious, so I focused on the traitor part of the clue and animals that might fit that part. Then, I started to wonder if weasels hiss, because maybe traitor, weasel..... Oh, they're looking for a specific snake. Not my finest thought process tonight.

Yes, I figured snake was too obvious. The only other hissing animal I could think of was a cockroach, so that’s what I said. So your thought process was at least better than mine!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I first thought snake but then tried to think what other animal it could be. Skunk? Possum? Oh, it's a Democrat. Do donkey's hiss? I stuck with snake.

I got Minutemen, barb, and Calamity Jane.

I couldn't quite come up with Jose Andres. I was thinking Andre something, but that was it. And instead of Jabberwock, I said Bandersnatch.

As for Cthulu, I got as far as "chu..."

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, lb60 said:

I knew who he was, and have seen him on Colbert - where he has showed he's not just a good guy, but absolutely hilarious. I could not get his name out. 😞

10 hours ago, SHD said:

Yes, I figured snake was too obvious. The only other hissing animal I could think of was a cockroach, so that’s what I said. So your thought process was at least better than mine!

I went for the obvious, sadly (hissing snake is pleasantly sibilant though, whereas hissing copperhead isn't).  Maybe you got there through a faulty thought process for the clue, but "hissing cockroach" is an excellent put down!

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 6

In some novel, a character has a red horse named Copperhead.  Other character: "Because he's red?"  Horse owner: "No. Because he bites."

Cthulhu for president.  If you're tired of choosing the lesser of two evils.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Driad said:

Cthulhu for president.

I am the only one here who has never heard of Cthulhu or what/who it is. Eh.

I think "hissing cockroach" should be given some kind of extra credit as a great answer.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, lb60 said:

Agreed. He has such passion for cooking and helping to feed people in need. 
I got Saturday, Wednesday, José Andrés, barb and Calamity Jane thanks to my love of the tv series Deadwood. No FJ last night for me. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I've heard of it but I've never heard it pronounced. I'm still not sure how to say it.

I wish there was a 'me too' emoji

and I do hate pressing the 'go to this post' button only to have the page jump up and having to scroll down. ☹️

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

and I do hate pressing the 'go to this post' button only to have the page jump up and having to scroll down. ☹️

SO MUCH THIS. What's up with that.

16 hours ago, lb60 said:

Then don't hang around me because I'd have you in tears. I've never heard of him.

17 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I've heard of it but I've never heard it pronounced. I'm still not sure how to say it.

Treat yourselves to some H.P. Lovecraft! He's awesome.

As for the pronunciation, I've always said Ka-thoo-loo, but I could be wrong.

• Love 1