Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I immediately thought Johnny Cash for FJ, waffled to Elvis briefly, then made Johnny my final answer for no particular reason.  

Not a bad game -- not too many TS, relatively speaking.  I got Sparrow, Rumpelstiltskin, Bat Masterson, A Separate Peace, and rubber.  

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, lb60 said:

I really didn't like Steve. I was waiting for him to accidentally wrap the buzzer cord around his neck. 

I liked him because he reminded me of dog-show newbies. The correct way to hold a show-dog lead is to fold it up so it's tucked hidden in your palm. Newbies will wrap it around their hand multiple times, like Steve was doing to his buzzer cord. It made me laugh. Plus he had to be kicking himself guessing "the other one" for FJ.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

What got to me about Steve was that between the shape of his glasses and his beard, he reminded me of David Letterman. Anyway I got Rumplestiltskin, Bat Masterson (I think I saw a show with a character named that in the early 60’s which is why I came up with the answer), electrolyte, rubber, Limburger and FJ was one of the few instagets I’ve had this month. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Bat Masterson (I think I saw a show with a character named that in the early 60’s which is why I came up with the answer)

Gene Barry played Bat Masterson on the series of the same name, which is being rerun on METV if you want to catch a few eps.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

There was a tv show in the early 60s “Bat Masterson.”  I can still kinda sing the theme song.  Gene Barry was the star?  Anyway, Johnny Cash will always be associated with prisons.  He played at San Quentin and Folsom. 

• Love 5

Yes, the second I saw Steve I thought he looked like Dave Letterman.

I got Rumplestiltskin, Bat Masterson, and A Separate Peace. I could not remember Stratego.

Interesting that the director of The Red Balloon also created Risk. Kamchatka.

I didn't know FJ until I rewound to see what the category was. Ah! Music Stars. Penitentiaries. Must be Johnny Cash.

FJ – Johnny Cash

• Love 4

I thought FJ was pretty easy, shocked he missed it and lost.  But was glad he did, because he playing with that cord was annoying. 

ALso he was stupid for him to guess on the last question.  He had more than a $2000 lead, there was no need for it, he had the lead going into FJ and the extra money meant little.  He guessed and missed and the champion/Machenzie a chance to catch him and take the lead, even though she didn't know it either.

Turned out didn't matter, he didn't know Johnny Cash.  ANd he can't even say it was "before his time"!!!

Really no one knew Rumplestilskin? 

• Love 6

I had no problem with Johnny Cash because of this:

50 Years Ago today, on May 11, 1965, Johnny Cash was arrested in Starkville Mississippi following a performance at the Mississippi State University. Cash was charged with public drunkenness after being caught in a local resident's garden picking flowers.

"I reached down and picked a dandelion here and a daisy there as I went along, and this car pulls up."

He spent the night in a jail cell and later wrote the song "Starkville City Jail" about the incident. Apparently, Cash shared his cell that night with a 15-year-old man named Smokey Evans. After kicking the cell wall so hard that he broke his toe, Cash took off his shoes and gave them to the 15 year old, saying, "Here’s a souvenir. I’m Johnny Cash."

In 1969, before singing "Starkville City Jail" to the inmates at San Quentin Jail, Cash recounted the experience:

"You wouldn't believe it, one night I got in jail in Starkville Mississippi for picking flowers. I was walking down the street ... and uh, you know, going to get me some cigarettes or something. 'Bout two in the morning, after a show. I think it was. Anyway, I reached down and picked a dandelion here and a daisy there as I went along, and this car pulls up. He said, 'Get it the hell in here boy, what are you doing?' I said, 'I'm just picking flowers.' Well, thirty six dollars for picking flowers and a night in jail. You can't hardly win can ya? No telling what they'd do if you pull an apple or something ... I'd like to get back at the fella down in Starkville Mississippi...that still has my thirty six dollars."

Johnny Cash is to be honoured by Mississippi town Starkville, 42 years after he was arrested there and locked up in the cells for the night.The Johnny Cash Flower Pickin’ Festival will include a pardon for the singer, four years after his death. It is reported that Cash was arrested in May 1965 whilst picking flowers from somebody’s garden in the town, inspiring him to write a song ‘Starkville City Jail’, which he performed at San Quentin prison.Johnny Cash later wrote in his autobiography that he was arrested whilst walking from his motel to a grocery store after a party on the Mississippi State University campus.“I was screaming, cussing, and kicking at the cell door all night long until I finally broke my big toe,” he explained. “At 8am the next morning they let me out when they knew I was sober.”

• Love 4

Merle Haggard was also in the audience during one of Cash's prison shows.

I knew several of the TS's others have mentioned. I knew Limburger was a famously smelly cheese but did not know it originated in Belgium. It merited an entry in the highly enjoyable book American Cornball, about bygone subjects for jokes. It's not surprising if you never ate any, since it's fallen out of favor. I haven't seen it in a supermarket in decades and never worked up the nerve to ask for it in a cheese shop. (I hate stinky cheeses.)

• Love 1
12 hours ago, lb60 said:

Haha! When I was a kid, I had to take that all the time before car trips.  

We traveled a lot when I was a kid, going to new posts. Didn't discover the stuff until my teens, I think - so I spent my childhood getting sick in scenic (and not so scenic) spots in a number of states and countries.

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Gene Barry played Bat Masterson on the series of the same name, which is being rerun on METV if you want to catch a few eps.

I read that as "MEH TV" 😄

2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Merle Haggard was also in the audience during one of Cash's prison shows.

I knew several of the TS's others have mentioned. I knew Limburger was a famously smelly cheese but did not know it originated in Belgium. It merited an entry in the highly enjoyable book American Cornball, about bygone subjects for jokes. It's not surprising if you never ate any, since it's fallen out of favor. I haven't seen it in a supermarket in decades and never worked up the nerve to ask for it in a cheese shop. (I hate stinky cheeses.)

I should have gotten FJ - but for some reason I was trying to think of a music star who'd spent serious time in prison. And didn't manage to think of Merle. sigh...

I laughed when A Separate Peace came up - I finished reading it for the first time on Sunday. If I hadn't, I would have been as blank as the contestants.

• Love 3

Another clue about The Outsiders last night, after the big discussion about it here a few pages back.

My ts's were sparrow, Rumpelstiltskin (probably what Jennifer was thinking of when she said Rapunzel), Bat Masterson, and limburger.

Instaget FJ. Outside of Jailhouse Rock I don't think Elvis had anything to do with prisons. Waylon or Merle would have been better guesses.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I believe it was Jennifer who said Rapunzel. I think she was thinking of Rumplestiltskin. 
ETA: Or put to it another way, I concur with Trey. 🙂

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

What got to me about Steve was that between the shape of his glasses and his beard, he reminded me of David Letterman.

...just a lot less clever than Dave.  I was half-expecting him to wrap himself in the cord, ala Judy Garland.

I've bought limburger, opened it up, cut off a tiny slice, tasted an even tinier bit, and immediately got it out of the condo and into the dumpster. I usually like stinky cheese, but that was beyond human endurance.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

I walked in and got the TV turned on just in time for FJ, which was an instaget, and finally had a chance to read the archive for the rest.

I'm surprised Rumpelstiltskin was a TS, but they still did better in the fairy tale category than I did; I could not for the life of me remember the name of the kid who traded his cow for magic beans, and I just flat-out didn't know the first two.

The Ralph Nader TS was a bit surprising, too - before their time?  I was a little surprised the limburger clue was placed in the $2000 slot, so definitely not expecting it to be a TS.  But good game.  And, yay, MacKenzie.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I can see not remembering between which character wanted someone to spin straw into gold and which wanted a gal to let down her hair. In fact, I thought it was Rumplestilskin asking for the hair drop. So I was wrong along with all the players. Those fairy-tale R names can get confusing.

• Love 1
On ‎02‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 9:38 PM, secnarf said:

I'm chalking it up to nerves. As well as his continuing to forget to phrase his responses as questions - though that was really getting on my nerves.

I'd chalk it to nerves once.  Doing it two more times AFTER Alex reminded him, not so much.

19 hours ago, lb60 said:

I had to wait a long time for the stinky cheese clue to come up. Then, no one knew Limburger. Really? I also got rubber.

I knew Limburger but couldn't drag it out of my brain in time.

Johnny Cash was a gimme, although I did briefly consider switching to Merle Haggard because he'd actually been in prison.

16 hours ago, Gimmick Genius said:

My only second guess for final was - Waylon Jennings? He was in the er, audience - at one of Cash's prison shows!

Not Waylon.  Merle Haggard, at San Quentin.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

t's not surprising if you never ate any, since it's fallen out of favor. I haven't seen it in a supermarket in decades and never worked up the nerve to ask for it in a cheese shop. (I hate stinky cheeses.)

Probably good that you haven't asked after it then.  "Do you have any limberger?"  "Yes, I'll get you some."  "No, that's OK.  I don't like it just wanted to know if you had any."  Blank, annoyed stare.

• LOL 3
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:
16 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

My guess is that the Rumpelstiltskin story hasn't been Disney-ized (so far as I know), so younger folk may not recognize the plot line.

3 hours ago, ErinV said:

Aw, I liked Steve.  He had a good sense of humor.  

Me too. I enjoyed his enthusiasm when he got his questions right. Just enough to be fun, and not enough to be braggy.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I laughed when A Separate Peace came up - I finished reading it for the first time on Sunday. If I hadn't, I would have been as blank as the contestants.

Kinda curious about what put A Separate Peace on your radar to read so recently, if you weren’t otherwise familiar with it.

I remember getting it from Scholastic Books somewhere around 8th grade. Don’t remember a whole lot of details, but enough that I could come up with it for the clue. 

"Filet-o-Fish" (Mackenzie misspelled that, too) is registered to McDonald's, so you really don't need to say "McDonald's" anymore than you need to say,"Johnson & Johnson" when you say, "Band-Aid."

ETA: How weird is this that this article is published TODAY?  As if someone knew ahead of time what FJ would be... https://www.wkyc.com/article/life/food/5-facts-about-mcdonalds-filet-o-fish/57160308

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

"Filet-o-Fish" (Mackenzie misspelled that, too) is registered to McDonald's, so you really don't need to say "McDonald's" anymore than you need to say,"Johnson & Johnson" when you say, "Band-Aid."

ETA: How weird is this that this article is published TODAY?  As if someone knew ahead of time what FJ would be... https://www.wkyc.com/article/life/food/5-facts-about-mcdonalds-filet-o-fish/57160308

Not really that weird. Lent starts tomorrow.

How did McKenzie spell it? I had to run out for a quick few minutes after the show, so I left as soon as the question was asked.  Did she put the "f" "of?

I got FJ easy-peasy.  I worked at McD's off and on for 7years, so it would have been sad if I hadn't.

I got the TSs of chinchilla, copper, psychiatry, prose, Venice, Nadir and museum

I got the entire categories of Album, inch words and what there was of the bonobo category.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got the entire categories of Album, inch words and what there was of the bonobo category.

Oops. I lied.  I didn't get the whole inch word category right.  I missed linch pin.  I said winch.  Because I'm an idiot.

• Love 1

I really want to believe I would have gotten the Filet-o-fish FJ correct on my own , but I made the mistake of opening this thread during the “danger zone” between when it’s ok to comment on the latest show, and when it actually airs for me. 

And did I hear correctly - did Alex say “filet OF fish”?

• Love 1

I am finally watching episodes on the day of broadcast so I can chime in here! I managed to get brandy, copper, psychiatry, Mike Wallace, nadir, museum, Constantinople, and the FJ of filet o’ fish, which is the only sandwich I like at McD’s.

BTW, a few weeks ago, there was a missed DD of which state was the Pabst Mansion in. I geeked out over that clue because I lived next door to that building for two years! My junior/senior dorm at Marquette was so close that we would lean out of our window when the haunted house workers would hang out in the back of the mansion on their breaks so we could chat with them. 

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 5

I said "McFish" because I knew it was McDonald's but I also knew McFish was not the real name. The reveal was an "Oh yeah, I knew that" moment. I was disappointed since Fast Food was (otherwise) a great category for me.

15 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

So it wasn't the Impossible Whopper? 🙂

I had one of those and about an hour later I wished I hadn't. For the rest of the night, too. Never again.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

He did. MacKenzie may have spelled filet wrong, but she at least used the apostrophe in place of the F (although McDonald's doesn't!).

Edited by dcalley
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Yes, three times.

I got chinchilla, Mike Wallace, museum, and catharsis. I said psychology instead of psychiatry, but I blame the dog because he was being a noodge.

FJ was an instaget. As a good Catholic, who raised a bunch of heathens, my mom loved those nasty (IMO) things.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Also near the start of Lent, so timely for the article and this question. 

I realized today that the only reason I know about limberger cheese is because of cartoons. 

And on a similar note, how come 30+ odd years later I still remember this jingle....

"Big Mac, Filet o Fish, quarter pounder, French fries.  Icy coke, thick shake, sundaes and apple pies". 

Not to mention "Two all beef patties special sauce lettuce cheese pickles onions on a sesame seed bun"

And I've never in my life eaten a big mac. 

I don't even like Mcdonalds anymore but by god their marketing and ads were genius when I was young. 

• Love 5

Don’t forget Barry Manilow’s fantastic jingle: “You deserve a break today /So get up and get away /To McDonald’s!”

It’s at the end of his Very Strange Medley of jingles: 

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I missed linch pin.  I said winch.  Because I'm an idiot.

Me too! 

I got copper, psychiatry, Prose, Mike Wallace, and museum.

FJ was pretty easy. Plus, I had a Filet-O-Fish just the other day. I haven't eaten there for a long time, but I suddenly had a taste for one.

I didn't understand the clue that had to do with "lead pipe cinch."

• Love 1

Now I feel like McKenzie is purposely misspelling something in every FJ. LOL 

She reminds me of that actress who was the young girl in Shameless and is now on The Connors.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, SHD said:

Now I feel like McKenzie is purposely misspelling something in every FJ. LOL 

You might be right. I'm watching tomorrow to make sure since I haven't paid attention since Lebbanon. And who know, maybe that was an inside joke too.

• Love 1

It was a ho hum night for me. I did well enough. I got chinchilla, brandy (my beau was sipping Hennessy’s), copper, I said hitch instead on linchpin (close, but no cigar on that rhyme), psychiatry, Mike Wallace (for brainy people I’m very surprised that evidently nobody watches 60 Minutes), Venice, and museum. I would have gotten TB, but because of the time reference I said consumption and wonder if they would have accepted that. I also said Bacchus instead of Dionysius. 

• Love 3