Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I had no idea that Lebanon even had a space program, but cedars was the operative clue for me.

I was shocked wiener schnitzel was a TS along with the Battle of Trafalgar. I got Chile too and Ray Donovan.  

MacKenzie is one win away from the ToC. We'll find out tomorrow if she makes it. 

• Love 2

New York minute surprised me as a TS (and put the Don Henley song in my head, where it remains), as did wiener schnitzel and Trafalgar.

MacKenzie's embarrassment at not knowing how to spell Lebanon was funny.

Thanks to the Bible books, TV dramas, directors, and history timeline categories, I had a worse than average game; I missed at least two in each of those.  Thank goodness for the geography category to make me feel better, and I knew FJ, so I ended on a good note.

13 hours ago, lb60 said:

It led me to Israel. It also led me to believe I was wrong. 

I did get Ray Donovan, Chile, and Trafalgar. Granted, the last two were wild-ass guesses, but I'm still giving myself credit.

The wild ass guesses were right - that's all that counts. (they were both guesses for me, not quite as wild ass, but still guesses)

11 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I had no idea that Lebanon even had a space program, but cedars was the operative clue for me.

I was shocked wiener schnitzel was a TS along with the Battle of Trafalgar. I got Chile too and Ray Donovan.  

MacKenzie is one win away from the ToC. We'll find out tomorrow if she makes it. 

I was more shocked that Mackensie, who goes to a German beer bar, didn't get Wiener Schnitzel. Granted, it's a German bar, not an Austrian one, but every German place I've ever been has served it.

Got FJ, but was really surprised to hear that Lebanon had a space program.

• Love 3

I was hoping Judy would win last night but MacKenzie is okay too.

Only two ts's for me last night, Ecclesiastes (mostly from The Byrds Turn, Turn, Turn) and Trafalgar.

Alex was right, middle-east and cedars did lead me to Lebanon - my first FJ of the week so I am thankful.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Trey said:

Only two ts's for me last night, Ecclesiastes (mostly from The Byrds Turn, Turn, Turn) and Trafalgar.

I certainly knew the phrase - but I said Proverbs instead. Ecclesiastes never enters my head except when someone mentions it.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I certainly knew the phrase - but I said Proverbs instead.

Me too.  I was all pleased with myself, having figured the first one was Genesis (since it was about the creating of things) and the second was Exodus (since it was about a mass departure); that little ditty sounded proverbial, and was only a $600 clue, so I confidently said Proverbs.  Oops.  (The next one, I didn't even have a guess.)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I was more shocked that Mackensie, who goes to a German beer bar, didn't get Wiener Schnitzel.

Then there's me, who has always thought Wiener Schnitzel is some sort of sausage or brat or hot-dog-type thing. You know, part wiener, part schnitzel, whatever schnitzel is. No way would I ever guess it's a breaded cutlet. I never would have gotten that TS in a zillion years. I've never ordered it in a German restaurant since I can get brats any time, why get them in a restaurant. Maybe next time I will now.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Then there's me, who has always thought Wiener Schnitzel is some sort of sausage or brat or hot-dog-type thing. You know, part wiener, part schnitzel, whatever schnitzel is. No way would I ever guess it's a breaded cutlet. I never would have gotten that TS in a zillion years. I've never ordered it in a German restaurant since I can get brats any time, why get them in a restaurant. Maybe next time I will now.

Damned Der Weinerschnitzel!

1 hour ago, ABay said:

I love Wien and wiener dogs, but the few times I've had wiener schnitzel it has been dry and bland.

What a pity, and a waste of a good schnitzel. They should be juicy, tender, and delicious. They are my benchmark for a decent German/Austrian restaurant. If they don't get it right, they're off the list.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Damned Der Weinerschnitzel!

LOL! We had one of those here, drive through the V-hut and get a 'dog! When I was 17 and had my first job at Heap Big Beef (yes, a real place!), my boss was all freaked that Der Weinerschnitzel opened down the road, and sent us to check it out for him. Maybe that is the cause of my confusion? It became the battle of the A-frame restaurants.

heapbigbeef1967.jpg.9cfdfdbeb61d57a2cc6d841e0ab43ea3.jpg

wienerschnitzel.jpg.935f0163fddc42afc08036c24d3f12ef.jpg

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

I'm more annoyed that he couldn't play the game according to its rules. How many times did Alex have to tell him about his phrasing? Really, dude? You went through the whole audition process, you should certainly know this by now. Alex was more patient than I would've been.

• Love 18
20 minutes ago, rubaco said:

How many times did Alex have to tell him about his phrasing?

I thought that Alex was only allowed to say "remember your phrasing" once (and only in single Jeopardy) before they penalize you. Alex did it at least twice and I think even once in double jeopardy.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I thought that Alex was only allowed to say "remember your phrasing" once (and only in single Jeopardy) before they penalize you. Alex did it at least twice and I think even once in double jeopardy.

He did it three times in single jeopardy, not at all in double.

I decided to combine Cannes and Venice I think and said LIon D'or.  Not sure where the frond would come in, but I'm just really not into awards.

I got the Ts's of discus, Dave Berry, Summertime (again something the older guy should haveknown), Billy the Kid, cel, and something I can't read that looks like three and del.  I have no idea.  I really need to work on my writing, or actually printing.  Both.  I got the entire category of ooo sorry, but it doesn't really count as they didn't reveal the 1,000 clue.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Stunned! I'm still in shock. Words cannot describe my reaction: Q: "Who did Jack Ruby kill?" A: "JFK". From a guy who looked like he was old enough to see it live!!!!

Right?  I couldn't believe his answer, either!  Even I got that one, and it was before my time!

FJ was an instaget.  French company plus "frond" led me immediately to Palme d'Or.  

I initially said litmus test for acid test, but then I read the entire clue, where dissolving led me to acid.  So I got that TS, along with Dave Barry, Summertime, Billy the Kid, animation cel, and somnambulism.  

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

something I can't read that looks like three and del.  I have no idea

It was Thomas a Becket.  I guess I really did earn all those D's in handwriting back when I was in school.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I was going to spit if the guy on the right fluked into a win somehow.

I know Alex likes to correct contestants but he REALLY seems to enjoy pointing out McKenzie’s spelling errors.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
44 minutes ago, Katy M said:
51 minutes ago, Katy M said:

something I can't read that looks like three and del.  I have no idea

It was Thomas a Becket. 

Oh yeah, it was obvious Thomas a Becket is what you meant.  :-0

I felt sorry for the fellow on the end, who appeared to be hyperventilating and having brain skips, both things that would affect me if I were on that show. I don't expect Everyman to be Brad Pitt suave the first time on national tv. I acted pretty much like him when I was chosen to be in a corporate film about the company where I worked. When it came time for my line, I turned to the camera, my mouth fell open and I stood and stared. Through multiple takes.

Being a movie star ain't easy. Speaking of, I thought that fellow looked like one, one whose name I can't bring up due to my brain skips.

I've lost interest in keeping track of TSs. I say them, just don't write them. I do wish one of the AT categories had been Good For You though.

• Love 3

Jon reminded me of Herb Welch, the newsman character Bill Hader played on SNL. I kept waiting for him to hit someone on the head with a microphone and turn up dead (not dead) by the end of the show. Hey, I never claimed to be a nice person. lol

Palme d'Or was my blind guess when the FJ category was revealed. Frond sealed the deal.

I also got acid test, Dave Barry, Summertime, Billy the Kid, Sadat, and cel.

Pretty nice end to the week, if I do say so myself. :-)

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

Stunned! I'm still in shock. Words cannot describe my reaction: Q: "Who did Jack Ruby kill?" A: "JFK". From a guy who looked like he was old enough to see it live!!!!

That is exactly what I said, too.

I'm chalking it up to nerves. As well as his continuing to forget to phrase his responses as questions - though that was really getting on my nerves.

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I've lost interest in keeping track of TSs. I say them, just don't write them. I do wish one of the AT categories had been Good For You though.

Not I (said the unspectacular Jeopardy player).  I love TS's cause most times I get them which makes up for the times I have no idea what the answer is or those OTT frustrating times when I can see the person but can't pull up his/her name). Gosh, I didn't notice that Jon was hyperventilating.  But I felt sorry for him.  He'd start doing well and then--crash! Actually, I always feel sorry for those who don't qualify for FJ.  Hey folks - please stop swaying. Who started this irritating habit?

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, lb60 said:

I also got acid test, Dave Barry, Summertime, Billy the Kid, Sadat, and cel.

For all the times that I know the answer but it won't make it to my mouth, every now and then I get the opposite. Dave Barry was one of these, I knew who it was almost instantly and said his name, however I have no idea why I know what he looks like and why his name would immediately come to me. I know I wouldn't have gotten the answer from the clue.

I did get Palme D'or when I thought about both the gold and the frond.

• Love 3

I didn't tune in until the interview section, so I had to go back and check the archive for the clues I missed.  Good game by MacKenzie and Kimberly, neither of whom had very many wrong answers.  Jon only had a couple more, but with one of them being his brain fart answer of JFK and another being a DD on which he lost a good sum, add that to his struggle in the first round to phrase his responses in the form of a question and not being around for FJ, he didn't come off well.  Major bummer, and I hope he still enjoyed the experience.

No real surprise TS tonight, so I really enjoyed the game.  Summertime, Mike Piazza, Bosnia, somnambulism, Thomas à Becket, and Anwar Sadat are all clues I'd have predicted someone would get, but no head scratchers that they didn't.

I enjoyed Jenny's mild Forrest Gump impersonation, and then Alex's Hannibal Lechter reading the next clue was even more fun.

But, while I was all in for noting her spelling of Lebanon last night, I don't think Alex should have made such a big deal of MacKenzie's "Palm" tonight.  A whole lot more people would make that mistake than would spell Lebanon "Lebbenon".

I had a more typical game than the shitfest that was my performance last night, meaning I still missed a couple in the first round and several in DJ.  But I got FJ, so my J! week ends positively.

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Hey folks - please stop swaying. Who started this irritating habit?

I don't think anyone started it, I believe it's a physiological condition.

I thought this was a particularly poor show -- way too many triple stumpers (spelled out because I don't know how to turn ts into a plural 🙂 ).

I learned tonight that it's "shot put" not "shot putt", which is how my feeble mind has always visualized it. 

I thought it was Carl Hiassen, not Dave Barry, possibly because I have no idea what either looks like and I love Hiassen and don't find Dave Barry remotely amusing.

(Bastet, this answer is not in response to yours, I think we were posting at the same time.  Anyway, I certainly wasn't trying to be argumentative about liking/disliking tonight's show.)

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Brookside said:

way too many triple stumpers (spelled out because I don't know how to turn ts into a plural 🙂 ).

You don't need to -- triple stumper and triple stumpers are both represented by TS and the sentence makes clear whether singular or plural.  So you can save yourself the typing; we know what you mean.

21 minutes ago, Brookside said:

(Bastet, this answer is not in response to yours, I think we were posting at the same time.  Anyway, I certainly wasn't trying to be argumentative about liking/disliking tonight's show.)

That wouldn't have even crossed my mind.

And in the grand scheme of J!, it wasn't a good game.  

But there have been a lot of games over the last couple of weeks with seemingly far more TS than normal, and many of them clues I was surprised all three contestants failed to get, so that tonight's game still had a lot, but not as many and not as many surprises, and that two contestants were correct most of the time they rang in (three misses for MacKenzie and only one for Jennifer) rather than the bonehead guesses we've seen lately, having the two of them - especially since they're both women - in close competition a good bit of the time and in the final score was enough to qualify this as an enjoyable game for me tonight.  The same game could transpire next week and I'd have a very different reaction based on the context of that week's games.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

I thought it was Carl Hiassen, not Dave Barry, possibly because I have no idea what either looks like

Hiaasen is much better looking.  (Gentle reminder: there's no "ass" in Hiaasen) When I saw Barry's photo, I said, "I am not making this up. Who is Dave Barry?"

I couldn't think of the name of the award; I settled for the Cannes Film Festival Award. I don't think I'd have been awarded any money for that one.

ETA: Just watching "Country Music" on PBS and I'm struck by how much Ken Burns & Dave Barry resemble one another.  And here's a pic of Hiaasen...

CH.jpg

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Hiaasen is much better looking.  (Gentle reminder: there's no "ass" in Hiaasen) When I saw Barry's photo, I said, "I am not making this up. Who is Dave Barry?".

ETA: Just watching "Country Music" on PBS and I'm struck by how much Ken Burns & Dave Barry resemble one another.  And here's a pic of Hiaasen...

CH.jpg

Believe me, you don't need to be gentle, since the worst thing about it is that I actually googled "Hiaasen" for the spelling, yet still got it wrong. Actually, wait, the worst thing is that I used to be a copy editor.

• LOL 7

Gee, some people probably think Dave Barry looks like Harry Anderson.

Barry was interviewed shortly after the DAVE'S WORLD sitcom started and he said, "I don't have to act in it? And I don't have to write it? You just give me money? COOL!" But he did mention the show subtracted one of his dogs and added a second kid ... better opportunities for dialog that way I guess. 

Edited by Gimmick Genius
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Just watching "Country Music" on PBS and I'm struck by how much Ken Burns & Dave Barry resemble one another.  

I have always thought that and was actually expecting someone to guess that.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, illdoc said:

I was shocked, but then I remember how sometimes I read a clue, am in the right area, but give the wrong answer even though I know better. Forgetting to use correct phrasing was far more annoying. (I remember watching that shooting over and over again on the TV - it made quite the impression on my 3rd grade mind, combined with the Zapruder film)

14 hours ago, graybrown bird said:

I wish Mackenzie's swaying didn't bother me so much.  Even when the camera focuses on the middle player, often Mackenzie sways over into the shot. I now only look at the screen while Alex is reading the clue.

I almost never notice swaying, but I do notice hers. I will wave it off (for her and others) as nervous energy.

14 hours ago, Katy M said:

I decided to combine Cannes and Venice I think and said LIon D'or.  Not sure where the frond would come in, but I'm just really not into awards.

The frond is how I got it. I was completely baffled, then thought "what has a frond" palm trees came to mind, and boom.

13 hours ago, Katy M said:

It was Thomas a Becket.  I guess I really did earn all those D's in handwriting back when I was in school.

I always say Thomas More. Always.  At least that's better than the other two I always mix up: Pollock and Calder. That one is baffling. I know who they are, what they've done, and their names are in no way similar. 

9 hours ago, Brookside said:

Believe me, you don't need to be gentle, since the worst thing about it is that I actually googled "Hiaasen" for the spelling, yet still got it wrong. Actually, wait, the worst thing is that I used to be a copy editor.

Give yourself a break. In my experience (as both a writer and an editor), it doesn't matter how good of an editor you are, it always helps to have a different set of eyes check your work. Our eyes see what we intended to write, not necessarily what's there. At least that's what I tell myself when I've made an outrageous mistake. 😉

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5

So many ts's again. I got discus, acid, Dave Barry, summertime (blues), Billy the Kid - shot down by Pat Garret who once was his friend, cell and somnambulism.  I would have got Thomas a Becket but I was still in the middle of writing down somnambulism.

I might have got FJ but I got confused on the category, thinking it was International Sports Trophies.  I wish they would put the category on the screen along with the clue. Anyhow, I came up with French Grand Prix so I was at least in the right country.

Glad MacKenzie won her fifth game so we will see her in the ToC, whenever that happens.

• Love 6

Well there ain't no time for the summertime blues. That's still running full time in my head--groan. I can barely read my notes. LH Assured? OK, I was trying to dash off Oswald, & yeah--that fellow definitely was old enough to know. I wonder if they would have accepted "cels".

Hah! I finally found this ^^^^paragraph.  It disappeared last night as I was trying to send it. I like the suggestion that the category appear on the screen along with the clue. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, SHD said:

I know Alex likes to correct contestants but he REALLY seems to enjoy pointing out McKenzie’s spelling errors.

Not as much as I'm enjoying them!  I've been telling my family for years that just because I'm a bad speller doesn't mean I'm  stupid.  We were all three laughing last night when I started pointing and yelling, "See! See!"  

• LOL 5
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I'd like that all the time - a number of my fails are because I forgot the category because they skip around.

Yes!!!!!!! And then I feel like a fool for not remembering which category the clue was in (once again, alone in the room but shrugging/embarrased--heh heh). That FJ clue "frond" only got me to write down palm (cause that award is just not familiar enough to me). 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I'd like that all the time - a number of my fails are because I forgot the category because they skip around.

I'm with you on wishing the category would be shown along w/the clue, although unlike you, I forget the category when they don't skip around. Then I'm like, "Oh ... yeah" when I give the wrong response to an otherwise obvious category clue. Although I suspect remembering the category is part of the challenge.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, saber5055 said:
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm with you on wishing the category would be shown along w/the clue,

I fast forward through all the commercials and interviews (I almost never watch 'live') so many times I miss the categories as I don't usually go back to catch them, same with FJ, I sometimes don't catch the category for several clues.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'm with you on wishing the category would be shown along w/the clue, although unlike you, I forget the category when they don't skip around. Then I'm like, "Oh ... yeah" when I give the wrong response to an otherwise obvious category clue. Although I suspect remembering the category is part of the challenge.

Okay, I fibbed just a little to make myself feel better. But I'm not going leave you hanging by yourself. I forget them when they're not skipping around too.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 3
On 2/21/2020 at 6:48 PM, dgpolo said:

I did get Palme D'or when I thought about both the gold and the frond.

Doh! I didn't even think about the "D'or" meaning gold. I got FJ from the frond part. I was pleased with myself that I noticed it in time.

I also got acid test, Dave Barry, summertime, animation cel, and Becket. 

I said Billy the Kid but changed my answer at the last minute to Jesse James for some reason.

I doubt John would ever say that Jack Ruby killed JFK. I think he was just nervous and had a brain fart at this particular clue.

• Love 4

I, too, often forget the category during a (Forrest)bouncy game; but what I wish they'd keep on the screen are the "Words from ________" categories where the response must be made up from the letters in some longer word. Much more difficult if I don't have that "long word" in front of me, as the contestants do in the studio. Same with categories like "Past Midnight" - words in the dictionary shortly after 'Midnight.'

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, Gimmick Genius said:

what I wish they'd keep on the screen are the "Words from ________" categories where the response must be made up from the letters in some longer word.

I'm terrible at that category. Next time though, I'm going to write down the source word to see if that helps. I doubt it, but any port in a storm as "they" say. Thanks for the idea!

• Love 2

FJ was an instaget

I got  the TSs of Ralph Nader, Rumpelstilstkin, Bat Masterson and rubber. And I could read them all, so there's that.

I could not think of Amada Knox's name for the life of me. Naughty party game translated to Twister.   But, all in all, a pretty good night.

• Love 3

I'm not a MacKenzie fan, but I really didn't like Steve. I was waiting for him to accidentally wrap the buzzer cord around his neck. 

I had to wait a long time for the stinky cheese clue to come up. Then, no one knew Limburger. Really? I also got rubber.

FJ=instaget before Alex was even finished reading.

6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Here, @lb60. Take two of these before today's show.

dramamine.jpg.03aec14b700955494c9a7156292bae0b.jpg

Haha! When I was a kid, I had to take that all the time before car trips.  

• Love 1