Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 2/24/2020 at 8:01 PM, lb60 said:

I'm not a MacKenzie fan, but I really didn't like Steve. I was waiting for him to accidentally wrap the buzzer cord around his neck. 

We thought he might be gearing up to take Mackenzie out with it lol

I like the champ, though, and her late 70's/early 80's hair and glasses.  And the story she told yesterday about her grandma sending out autographed pictures is one of the few contestant anecdotes in the history of Jeopardy that has ever made me chuckle out loud.

Anyone else get the annoying filet-o-fish talking fish commercial jingle in your head as soon as FJ was read?  It's still in mine this morning and it is not fun.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Kinda curious about what put A Separate Peace on your radar to read so recently, if you weren’t otherwise familiar with it.

I remember getting it from Scholastic Books somewhere around 8th grade. Don’t remember a whole lot of details, but enough that I could come up with it for the clue. 

As a lit major, I was aware of it, but with the exception of Steinbeck, didn't have American novels in any of my classes. I recently saw it on a list of 100 top books or something, and decided to give it a go.

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I had one of those and about an hour later I wished I hadn't. For the rest of the night, too. Never again.

Maybe you got a moldy one - I mean, that's their brand now, right? 😉

10 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

And on a similar note, how come 30+ odd years later I still remember this jingle....

"Big Mac, Filet o Fish, quarter pounder, French fries.  Icy coke, thick shake, sundaes and apple pies". 

Not to mention "Two all beef patties special sauce lettuce cheese pickles onions on a sesame seed bun"

And I've never in my life eaten a big mac. 

I don't even like Mcdonalds anymore but by god their marketing and ads were genius when I was young. 

I don't remember the McDonald's one at all, but Burger King, absolutely. That was our fast food of choice. I rarely eat fast food anymore, though I occasionally have a hankering for the BK chicken sandwiches (I know, they're nasty, but I still love them)

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I would have gotten TB, but because of the time reference I said consumption and wonder if they would have accepted that. I also said Bacchus instead of Dionysius. 

I'm pretty sure they would have accepted consumption.  I also said Bacchus instead of Dionysius, can never remember which is Greek and which is Roman.

My ts's were brandy, psychiatry, nadir, museum and catharsis.

Like @saber5055, I first said McFish for FJ but came up with the correct filet-o-fish in good time.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Driad said:

The Rocky and Bullwinkle show's "Fractured Fairy Tales" segment did Rumpelstiltskin several times.  My favorite.

Thanks for posting the link. I had to watch that again. I was sure Rumplestiltskin was voiced by Phil Silvers, but it was one of the regular voice actors doing an impression.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I don't remember the McDonald's one at all, but Burger King, absolutely.

I don't remember Burger King having a jingle. Its tagline was "It takes two hands to handle a Whopper." Which was dropped in later years for obvious reasons. We had a lot of fun with that tag, I'm (not) ashamed to say.

I can still sing the Big Mac "lettuce cheese" song. It's classic advertising.

3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Mike Wallace (for brainy people I’m very surprised that evidently nobody watches 60 Minutes)

My thought exactly. Exactly!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

brandy (my beau was sipping Hennessy’s)

I bought a Hennessy t-shirt at Goodwill only because it was the right size and color, and everywhere I go when I'm wearing it, people start talking to me, from grocery-store baggers to chefs. It's like magic. And I don't drink, Hennessy or anything else. I divert the conversations so I don't have to admit that fact, nor that I did not buy the shirt in UK.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I don't remember Burger King having a jingle. Its tagline was "It takes two hands to handle a Whopper."

All together now...'Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders don't upset us...'

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

Okay, so I'm out until Mackenzie's gone.  I'll keep checking here, though.  You guys are a hoot.

3 hours ago, Gimmick Genius said:

You're right, of course. I misremembered. 'Redneck Singers" would not be a strong category for me.

I wouldn't actually call Merle Haggard a "redneck singer".  Waylon?  Well, maybe.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

Anyone else get the annoying filet-o-fish talking fish commercial jingle in your head as soon as FJ was read?  It's still in mine this morning and it is not fun.

You mean this one?

FJ was an instaget for me, and, yep, got this jingle stuck in my head.  I thought I'd share the love.  You're welcome.

I didn't get to watch last night, though, so I just perused the archive, and, in addition to FJ, got chinchilla, brandy, copper, psychiatry, Prose, and museum.  Prose was a guess based on the clue.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I said "McFish" because I knew it was McDonald's but I also knew McFish was not the real name. The reveal was an "Oh yeah, I knew that" moment. I was disappointed since Fast Food was (otherwise) a great category for me.

My husband said the same thing. I knew Filet-o-Fish in spite of never having any desire to actually eat one in my life.

And since I'm just catching up on things from the past week here ... I used to be a manager at a bookstore and we hosted a Dave Barry event. He was lovely, quite funny, and drew a big crowd (this was around 2006 I believe, past what I'd consider his heyday). He also signed a book for me with something like "[Name], you are a goddess." 

I had no idea what to think about that! Also, I'm currently downsizing and I guess someone at the goodwill will get to ponder what it might mean, haha.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Etta Place said:

My husband said the same thing. I knew Filet-o-Fish in spite of never having any desire to actually eat one in my life.

And since I'm just catching up on things from the past week here ... I used to be a manager at a bookstore and we hosted a Dave Barry event. He was lovely, quite funny, and drew a big crowd (this was around 2006 I believe, past what I'd consider his heyday). He also signed a book for me with something like "[Name], you are a goddess." 

I had no idea what to think about that! Also, I'm currently downsizing and I guess someone at the goodwill will get to ponder what it might mean, haha.

Now I gotta know: which bookstore?  I used to work at a Borders, and we had a Dave Barry event as well.  And yes, he is a lovely person, one of the best celebs we ever had in store.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

You mean this one?

OMG, BEST COMMERCIAL EVER! So hilarious, I almost fell off my chair. I remember Billy Bass but do not remember this commercial. Thanks for posting because I've been replaying it over and over, and am heading back up to replay it some more. I can't get enough! Of course, it's not me in that sandwich so I can laugh all I want. (Love the fish's singing voice.)

That has to be one of the best commercials of all time. It's got my vote.

• LOL 2
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I don't remember Burger King having a jingle. Its tagline was "It takes two hands to handle a Whopper." Which was dropped in later years for obvious reasons. We had a lot of fun with that tag, I'm (not) ashamed to say.

I can still sing the Big Mac "lettuce cheese" song. It's classic advertising.

My thought exactly. Exactly!

Actually, I do remember the lettuce cheese song, just had a brain fart.

4 hours ago, dgpolo said:

All together now...'Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders don't upset us...'

"Have it your way.." Yep, that's the one.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

Anyone else get the annoying filet-o-fish talking fish commercial jingle in your head as soon as FJ was read?

No, because I'd apparently managed to repress the memory of it.  Then I made the mistake of watching it when someone posted it in the thread.

My initial answer to FJ was "Whatever the hell McDonald's calls its fish sandwich" but it came to me in time. 

I only had the show on as background noise last night while finishing up some work, which was foolish, because I couldn't pay proper attention to either thing.  So I just read the archive.

I was initially a little surprised chinchilla was a TS, but then I realized all the "inch" clues before it had been one-syllable words; I suspect at least some of the contestants were trying to think of a one-syllable rodent.

I remain surprised no one knew cognac is brandy.  And, assuming the picture in the Mike Wallace clue was of him (rather than a still of Plummer playing him in the film), I'm surprised by that TS, too.  Also psychiatry, museum, and nadir.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I was initially a little surprised chinchilla was a TS, but then I realized all the "inch" clues before it had been one-syllable words; I suspect at least some of the contestants were trying to think of a one-syllable rodent.

I saw the darned little animal in my mind, I was sputtering out the "inch" part of the name, but never got around to getting the full word out. Sigh...

I said fish sandwich because I was too busy trying to recall if BK was around then (which was the place we went to most), in which case it would be a Whaler (if I remember correctly), and completely forgot the filet o fish at McD's. My dad used to get really annoyed at me when we ate at fast food restaurants, because I'd always order the fish sandwich - which, unlike the burgers, was usually made at the time of the order instead of sitting under the lamps. So the fast food wasn't fast enough for my Dad.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I'd always order the fish sandwich - which, unlike the burgers, was usually made at the time of the order instead of sitting under the lamps.

The big deal when BK opened was the Whopper was "flame-broiled." There was an open-flame oven with a track that ran through it. Burgers were put on the track, which traveled through the oven, and the cooked burgers came out the other side, flame-broiled by the open flames inside the oven. Those early Whoppers were DELICIOUS and big. (Or maybe I was just smaller then.)

I've never had a Filet-o-Fish, but after viewing @Browncoat's vid multi times and researching other F-o-F commercials, I have to try one. I did learn that when the ad film crew was searching for a garage in which to film that commercial, when they located one that had the Billy Bass on the wall, they knew that was the place.

• LOL 2

They need to change the rules on the answers . They need to be more precise. A last name only should not be accepted .MacKenzie should not have won with her answer Cash. It should have been Johnny Cash. There are numerous singers with the Surname Cash . I call foul and MacKenzie should have lost

I got FJ, but I was not at all confident in my answer.  I said "I don't know the latin word for attendant.  But, moons stick with their planets, so satellite?"

I got the TSs of plight, Victoria, Lee Child, Virginia Woolf and Hailie Selassie (sp?).  I got the entire category o islands right (geography, go figure), and I got the entire category of arches wrong.  It's been a while since I've flubbed an entire category.  I didn't do well in DJ at all really.

• Love 1

I had to think for a second about today's FJ -- came up with "moon" right away, but knew that wasn't right, but I had to drag another word for moon out of my feeble brain.  I got it in time to write it down, and I even spelled it correctly.  Yeah, I think MacKenzie's doing it on purpose now, but science words are no harder than non-science words.

I also got plight, steam shovel, Edgar Lee Masters, bungalow, and Haile Selassie (though I did have to look up how to spell "Haile").

"Isthmus" always makes me think of The Little Rascals, when one of them was asked to use "isthmus" in a sentence.  He said, "Isthmus be my lucky day!"

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Yeah, I think MacKenzie's doing it on purpose now, but science words are no harder than non-science words.

MacKenzie posted on TheJeopardyFan site for today that she was in remedial reading and spelling, and spelling has always been difficult for her, so it's real, not trolling Alex. She said she's been betting small in FJ because she's afraid her poor spelling will bite her.

And yes, science words ARE harder than other words. In my world, science words are harder than dog words or horse words or fast-food words or pop-culture words and a zillion billion other words. Science is NOT my friend and neither are its words.

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

And yes, science words ARE harder than other words. In my world, science words are harder than dog words or horse words or fast-food words or pop-culture words and a zillion billion other words. Science is NOT my friend and neither are its words.

As you say, it depends on what you know.  I would be iffy on dog words and hopeless on pop-culture words.  Sometimes the winner of Jeopardy is the person who is lucky enough to get the categories that are "easy" for them.  

• Love 4

Man, I would have bet big on FJ, only to crash and burn. I had nooooo idea whatsoever, and I consider myself a space buff.

i did get steam shovel, Virginia Wolfe, (Edgar) Lee Masters, Clara Bow, Howard Carter, Wellington, bungalow, Haile Salaisee, and British Airways. Very disappointed that no one got Clara, because when I was a kid, I just loved learning about the silent film era and its stars. Mary Pickford, Lillian Gish, Theda Bara, Mabel Normand, Louise Brooks, Colleen Moore, Garbo, even a young Joan Crawford, and those are just the women.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Science is NOT my friend and neither are its words.

cnn television GIF

Tonight, I got linesmen, Victoria, bungalow, and Selassie. 

Me trying to figure out FJ: Hmmmm, astronomy? Astronomical? Celestial? Why didn't I take Latin in school? Let's go with celestial. Oh, well. Better luck tomorrow.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

Very disappointed that no one got Clara, because when I was a kid, I just loved learning about the silent film era and its stars.

I wasn't disappointed nor surprised, just pleased that I grew up loving BW silent movies, listened to my mom's Big Band 78s and learned all about that era from her. So Clara Bow was an easy peasy for me, thank you Mom.

For @lb60: "Art class rules, science drools."

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ, but I was not at all confident in my answer.  I said "I don't know the latin word for attendant.  But, moons stick with their planets, so satellite?"

Good reasoning. I couldn't figure it out.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

MacKenzie posted on TheJeopardyFan site for today that she was in remedial reading and spelling, and spelling has always been difficult for her, so it's real, not trolling Alex. She said she's been betting small in FJ because she's afraid her poor spelling will bite her.

I guess I'll take her word for it, but I thought this was just a gag of hers.

I got Steam Shovel, Masters, Clara Bow, and bungalow.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

"Isthmus" always makes me think of The Little Rascals, when one of them was asked to use "isthmus" in a sentence.  He said, "Isthmus be my lucky day!"

I *love* this!!  I wonder which kid said that.  Just checking in to see if Mackenzie was still the champ (had book club tonight) and it seems she is.  I'd like to see her compete against James (cause to me they look like siblings and I'd also like to see if she really is a true champion).

• Love 1
11 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I worked at Burger King in about 1975 - 1976 or thereabouts.  I remember the jingle very well!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Isthmus reminds me of Dave Letterman's description of his receding hairline. Finally, enough hair had departed, it looked like a canal had been dug through his hair-isthmus and left him with a clump at the top of his forehead.

I heard some comics back in the 70s sing, "You deserve a steak today, so throw up and crawl away from McDonald's..."

I was cheering on the middle chick because she didn't start her interview story with "So..."

• Love 5
7 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I *love* this!!  I wonder which kid said that.  Just checking in to see if Mackenzie was still the champ (had book club tonight) and it seems she is.  I'd like to see her compete against James (cause to me they look like siblings and I'd also like to see if she really is a true champion).

I don’t remember which one said that, but I’m inclined to think it was Stymie, who also said, when faced with an artichoke, “Well, it might choke Artie, but it ain’t gonna choke Stymie!”

• LOL 5
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

Now if only my brain had made that connection. I was thinking more general - like a word of great praise. Sigh...

10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I wasn't disappointed nor surprised, just pleased that I grew up loving BW silent movies, listened to my mom's Big Band 78s and learned all about that era from her. So Clara Bow was an easy peasy for me, thank you Mom.

For @lb60: "Art class rules, science drools."

I've never liked B&W movies in general (there are a few, say Casablanca, that I do). But I did have a love of learning about Hollywood history (and scandals 😉 ), so Clara was easy for me too.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

But I did have a love of learning about Hollywood history (and scandals 😉 ), so Clara was easy for me too.

Me, too! Back in the ‘70s, access to silent films was minimal at best, so I settled for reading about them instead. I think some filmmaker should have another whack at the William Desmond Taylor murder, between the setting of 1922 Hollywood and the rumors that there was studio interference in the investigation.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Driad said:

Sometimes the winner of Jeopardy is the person who is lucky enough to get the categories that are "easy" for them.  

In the contestants' briefing before the show, they talk about the category that every contestant hopes to see:  "Stuff only I know!"

Except they don't use the word "stuff." 😀

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I was cheering on the middle chick because she didn't start her interview story with "So..."

And a big hallelujah!  I am sick of hearing people answer questions or start a conversation with the word "so".  It was always funny when the comedians did it back in the day (as part of their schtick), but it's a bit ridiculous when non-comedians use it all the time. For me it's like fingernails on a blackboard. There's a lawyer who appears on Deadline: Whitehouse occasionally. Every time he answers a question, he starts with the word "so". I could scream.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, dcalley said:

Starring in the 1927 movie "It" made her the "It" girl & the quintessential flapper

Thanks for that tidbit. I didn't know she was in an "It" movie, I always thought she was "The It Girl" because she was "all that," to use more modern vernacular.

2 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

We had a discussion here not too long ago about Spoon River Anthology, written by Edgar Lee Masters.

That was me, when we were talking about Frost, and I said I think of Frost when I cross over the Spoon River, which I do often, even though Spoon River Anthology was Masters'. I didn't comment on that since I figured no one here would remember that discussion. So thanks, all is not lost! LOL.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I've never liked B&W movies in general

I love the old BW movies and will watch any and all of them. I'm a fan of Svengoolie, but when his movie is in color I typically do not watch. I also like the old BW tv shows, all of them, but if the series ran long enough it turned to color, I quit watching.

I also am a huge fan of foreign films with subtitles. I don't understand why people got all whack about Parasite and won't see it because, subtitles.

I'm old school all the way.

Just now, proserpina65 said:

So I take it Mackenzie won again, and I don't have to watch tonight?

Why yes, yes she did win again. She's won more than $200,000 so far. So grab a good book to read since you don't have to watch Jeopardy today.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
Just now, proserpina65 said:

Well, to those of us who are not science inclined, they are.  Although math words would be just as hard for me.

And turns out Latin words concerning the discoveries of Galileo aren't in my wheelhouse either.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1