Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

33 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I was also sad no one knew Jane. And also - The Last Battle. Especially when they even gave them the word Last.

I'm baffled by them missing Jane Curtin too and the Last Battle. 

When the DD appeared in the Russian "V" category, I said Pavlov even before the clue came up. 

No idea for FJ. Guessed Gabon. 

• Love 2

Man, this show makes so many of you sad. Stock up on your antidepressants before next episode, please. And take a handful before it starts.

Anyone else want to harp on the answer of "The Manson Family" in response to the clue that asked for the name of THIS MAN? "Celebrity hairstylist Jay Sebring was among Aug. 9, 1969 victims of the murderous gang controlled by this man."

Easy answer if one saw Once Upon a Time ... In Hollywood.

Shout out to @opus with the TS of Eddie Van Halen. Opus knows why!

Got the TSs of Rio de Janeiro, Tudor and, because I've watched SNL since the Conehead days, Jane Curtin.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Anyone else want to harp on the answer of "The Manson Family" in response to the clue that asked for the name of THIS MAN? "Celebrity hairstylist Jay Sebring was among Aug. 9, 1969 victims of the murderous gang controlled by this man."

YES! I FF through all the yakety-yak bits and was wondering if they rolled back on that one. I guess because her answer included “Manson” they allowed it. 

I ran the category about rock star wives. I’m not proud of that.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
41 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

I'm baffled by them missing Jane Curtin too and the Last Battle. 

I missed The Last Battle. I only read the first 3 books, I think. I didn't care for the cousins.

• Love 1

Rex obviously didn't hear me yelling, "T U D O R" over and over and over.  Once again, too young a group to know "stenography" and Jane Curtain (they don't know what they're missing--her SNL skits were hilarious, always!)  And another TS when the clue was the word "river" which is rio in espanol and (I guess) Portuguese. 

• Love 3

The Rio de Janeiro TS surprised me; the clue pointed to Brazil with a neon arrow and spotted "river", so getting from there to the famous three-word city in that country with Rio as one of those words was definitely not something I expected all three to fail to do.

Jane Curtin, with a picture, surprised me and, like it did several of you, made me sad.  Bolt, Eddie Van Halen, and stenography surprised me a little, too.

Add me to the "this man" = Charles Manson, not the Manson Family grumble list.  And I had to look up the show's title, because I thought House was called House M.D., but apparently House is an accepted title, so I withdraw that complaint.

But I can't believe completing "duck & ___" was worth $1200.

I had a good game.  I got all the religious idioms clues right, so I'm up to maybe three times that has ever happened in a category with religion in the title.  I settled on the right country for FJ at the last second, but I wasn't terribly confident in it, even though I usually do well with geography (I wasn't sure what that gulf was called).  I just couldn't remember Kasparov's name and didn't know a couple of the TV clues or one of the book clues (I have never managed to retain via cultural osmosis anything about the Narnia books other than they were written by C.S. Lewis and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is one of them). 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Does that have anything to do with his FJ bet being 420?

I thought that was hilarious, but no. It was more the fact that he didn't seem to be able to explain his actual job. 

20 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Anyone else want to harp on the answer of "The Manson Family" in response to the clue that asked for the name of THIS MAN?

Yes, I didn't think that should have been accepted.

Tonight, I got Eddie Van Halen, Tudor, blessing in disguise, stenography, A Million Little Things, and Jane Curtin. 

Me: "Oh, I'm not getting this one."

My exact words when the FJ category was revealed. I said Benin, for no particular reason.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, opus said:

Yup, I covered that a few posts ago. I was conflicted by the outcome.

I totally missed your post due to the Primetimer window's habit of scrolling back to the top on its own, every time I try to scroll down. Actually, I'm thinking @opus IS Eddie Van Halen.

23 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

And another TS when the clue was the word "river" which is rio in espanol and (I guess) Portuguese.

Plus Portuguese is spoken in Brazil. So there's that, too.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I totally missed your post due to the Primetimer window's habit of scrolling back to the top on its own, every time I try to scroll down. Actually, I'm thinking @opus IS Eddie Van Halen.

Nah. I devoted my life to mocking him, because if he hadn’t been in the way, I obviously would have been the next in line.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, opus said:

I’m not sure if I’m happy no one remembered Eddie, or bummed no one knew enough about Valerie.

They're the couple I called out when the category was named. I am not ashamed.

12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I just could not dredge her name up! Jane, you ignorant slut!

I use that catch phrase a lot when I explain why I don't engage in political discussions (I get to that point too quickly), but then found, to my embarrassment, that I'd been using it with people who'd either never watched SNL or were too young to know the phrase (or its source). Oopsie.

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Raises hand. Though there was disagreement on the sofa.

10 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Rex obviously didn't hear me yelling, "T U D O R" over and over and over.  Once again, too young a group to know "stenography" and Jane Curtain (they don't know what they're missing--her SNL skits were hilarious, always!)  And another TS when the clue was the word "river" which is rio in espanol and (I guess) Portuguese. 

I was chiming in too, Rex was just not tuned to our frequency.

10 hours ago, lb60 said:

I thought that was hilarious, but no. It was more the fact that he didn't seem to be able to explain his actual job.

I thought maybe I was having a brain incident, because it seemed to me none of them were particularly coherent, but most especially Rex.

10 hours ago, Brookside said:

I'm grateful the guy didn't win - he had the same kind of unbearable smuggity smug look as Ken Jennings.

That may be why I liked him. 😉 I didn't find him smug, just focused and on task. Mileage varies, as always.

• Love 6

My only ts's were Rio de Janeiro, Tudor, and Jane _____. So many I was just too slow to get but I knew them - as happens so often.

Funny thing is, I drew the map of Africa in the air just like Alex did.  Unfortunately there was no printing on the map so I had no answer.

Is MacKenzie our first 2-day champ in a while? Seems we had a pretty long streak of 1-day winners.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, Trey said:

Is MacKenzie our first 2-day champ in a while? Seems we had a pretty long streak of 1-day winners.

I thought the guy that was right before her won two games.  He had that comeback when he wagered big in the daily double, and then I thought he wagered big in the daily double the next game and made it a runaway and then lost on the third day?  But, I could be wrong. I'm usually just focused on the clues and not the players.

• Love 1

Missed the game last night, so I went through the archives today.

I got the TS of Rio de Janiero, Eddie Van Halen, Tudor, The Last Battle, blessing in disguise, and Jane Curtin.  I was also sad that Jane was a TS.

Unfortunately, my knowledge of African geography is tiny, so no FJ for me! 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I use that catch phrase a lot when I explain why I don't engage in political discussions (I get to that point too quickly), but then found, to my embarrassment, that I'd been using it with people who'd either never watched SNL or were too young to know the phrase (or its source).

You really need to keep better company.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Katy M said:

I still suck at geography, so I also said Chad.

I said Botswana but knew that couldn't be right.  I also didn't Rio de Janeiro.  D'oh.  Plus, I missed blessing in disguise even though I knew what they were getting at.  I also missed teddy bear, bucket wheel excavator and Jack Nicholson.  On the other hand, I did know Tudor architecture, bolt, Eddie Van Halen, Jane Curtin, stenographer and Melbourne.  I said capstone instead of keystone, though - think they would've accepted it?

3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I said capstone instead of keystone, though - think they would've accepted it?

You made me curious so I tried googling the difference.  And, now I'm confused.  So, thanks a lot:)

• Love 1
15 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Yes.  Mean proserpina65 would have ruled that answer as incorrect.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Well, older company, at least. It was before their time. 😆

I still say " 'Tain't funny, McGee!" from Fibber McGee and Molly and that was WAY before my time.

The first rock star marriage that came to my mind was Paulina Porizkova(sp?) and Ric Ocasek.

• Love 6
On 2/18/2020 at 10:01 AM, saber5055 said:

Her episode must have been Before Your Time.

Not Before My Time; I just never watch Survivor.

23 hours ago, illdoc said:

Actually, I believe 2 of the other guesses were Oahu & Kona (it's only the former champ who guessed a more than 4 letter place (Kauai, I think)).

Oops. You're right. Oahu SOUNDS like more than four letters to me. I have no excuse for thinking Kona was more than four.

15 hours ago, DrScottie said:

When the DD appeared in the Russian "V" category, I said Pavlov even before the clue came up. 

My guess was Andropov.

use that catch phrase a lot 

My friend Jane has a refrigerator magnet that says, "Jane, you ignorant slut."

I got Eddie Van Halen, Rio de Janero, stenography, and Jane Curtin. I gave myself a big "DOH!" for Tudor. For some reason I was picturing cathedrals and trying to come up with an architectural style other than Gothic.

I really liked the Contronyms category.

I didn't get FJ. One of these days I'll work on my geography knowledge.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Rio de Janeiro TS surprised me; the clue pointed to Brazil with a neon arrow and spotted "river", so getting from there to the famous three-word city in that country with Rio as one of those words was definitely not something I expected all three to fail to do.

It didn't point to Brazil for me.  I had no idea that Rio is on a bay, and I completely missed the name of the category.  In hindsight, 16th century Portuguese should've said Brazil, and yes, rio is the Portuguese word for river, so I should've gotten it.  But since it stumped me, I'm willing to cut the contestants a small break on that one.  But only a very small one.

They're the couple I called out when the category was named. I am not ashamed.

I called Billy Joel & Christie Brinkley and Ric Ocasek & Paulina Porizkova.  Oh well, 50% right.

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Unfortunately, my knowledge of African geography is tiny, so no FJ for me! 

I know a lot about North African geography and a bit about East African geography, the west of Africa is more a mystery to me, unfortunately.

53 minutes ago, Katy M said:

You made me curious so I tried googling the difference.  And, now I'm confused.  So, thanks a lot:)

Glad I could help, lol.  Yeah, I googled it too, and they're similar but not the same, I think.  Oh well.  Might still have been accepted, though, knowing the Jeopardy judges.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, proserpina65 said:

But since it stumped me, I'm willing to cut the contestants a small break on that one.  But only a very small one.

It's pretty rare for a TS to be one that makes me think, "Jeez, all three of them should have known that, but not a single one of them did?" and I can't think of an example of one of those; even Ken Jennings can be stumped by a clue, so that any given contestant doesn't know a particular thing is hardly ever surprising (it's why missed DDs don't often surprise me, because, okay, that contestant happened not to know, but if it had been a regular question, one of the other two probably would have rung in and got it).  It's almost always like this situation, where it surprises me that all three failed to put it together.

when I saw the category I assumed I would have no clue, but it turned out to be an istaget.

I got the TSs of Henry VIII, Captain Morgan (guessed based on Cheers), Johnny, The Feminine Mystique and fief.  I got the entire categories of  4 letter words and influential writings.

• Love 1

I also thought I was not going to be able to get FJ, but I did.  I immediately guessed Brazil, then tried to second-guess myself, but couldn't come up with anything else, so I stuck with Brazil.  Good for me.  

I also managed to get Johnny, The Feminine Mystique, Russia, fief, and lintel.  

On 2/17/2020 at 10:32 PM, peeayebee said:

I didn't know Elizabeth Hasselbeck was on Survivor.

She was Elisabeth Filarski back then, and she appeared in the second season in the Australian Outback (that was the season when I started watching and developed quite the obsession with the show as a 10yo child)

I haven't watched it in years, but I couldn't believe it had been 20 years already since the show started!!!

2 hours ago, HissyFit said:

It's a good thing the middle guy wasn't afflicted with the swaying syndrome like Mackenzie and Sam. The contestant panel would have looked like a line dance.

I had to black out the screen and just listen because I was getting seasick watching.

• Love 4

I got FJ, though it was a somewhat educated guess.

I also got Henry VIII (a guess), Johnny (can't read), Feminine Mystique, Russia, and rector. I should have gotten Capt Morgan from "Cheers" in the clue.

I don't mind Mackenzie and her swaying, but I was rooting for the other guy (on the end).

• Love 1

I dig MacKenzie (it usually takes me a few appearances to develop feelings one way or the other about contestants - if I ever do - and today my "I like her" sense kicked in), so I'm glad she pulled it off by a dollar. 

I enjoyed Alex saying, "Let's see if we can clear the board today" before introducing the categories.  And, yay, they pulled it off.  Good game after a string of somewhat disappointing ones.

The Feminine Mystique being a TS annoyed me enough, and then Alex chimed in with his "You picked the wrong one" nonsense.  Yeah, Alex, because there are only two "feminist classics".  There aren't even only two classics associated with sparking the second wave, so even if the clue got that specific I'd be annoyed. 

Captain Morgan surprised me a little bit as a TS, due to the "cheers" hint in the clue, as did Johnny as the name in Why Johnny Can't Read, fief, Russia (that one that no one even guessed it, not that none of the three knew it), and rector (that one stumped me, too).  Lintel, though, I just knew was going to be a TS (obviously none of them have watched Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House).  No "Really, none of three contestants knew that?" head scratchers, so that was nice.  Again, good game.

One quibble:  For a DJ category, I wish they hadn't included photos in the Famous Texans clues, but at least none of the clues were so obvious via their text that adding a picture was superfluous; I just wish they'd put that in the first round, or, if in the second, written better, text-only, clues rather than a bunch that amounted to "Identify the person seen here".

The Animated TV Characters category was not my friend in the first round; that's not my genre, so I only knew Scooby-Doo and correctly guessed SpongeBob SquarePants.  I missed several in DJ, but knew FJ, so overall it was a good game for me, too.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

Good game last night.  MacKenzie really came up from behind in the DJ round.

My ts's were Johnny, The Feminine Mystique, fief, lintel, and rector.  For FJ I waffled between Italy, Spain and Brazil and finally went with Italy😦

• Love 4

Well, phooey!  I don't dislike MacKenzie, but Sam was pretty damned cute, so I was rooting for him.

Oh, and Alex, both Germany and Italy have won 4 World Cups, so they most certainly do have the chance of equaling Brazil's 5 at some time in the future.  Maybe not with their current teams, though.  Although Brazil's national team has been overrated as hell for quite a few years.

16 hours ago, Katy M said:

got the TSs of Henry VIII, Captain Morgan (guessed based on Cheers), Johnny, The Feminine Mystique and fief.  I got the entire categories of  4 letter words and influential writings.

I knew Sir Henry Morgan from reading about piracy in the Caribbean, but also from the spiced rum, lol.  He was royal governor of Jamaica at one point.

15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also managed to get Johnny, The Feminine Mystique, Russia, fief, and lintel

I didn't realize that Russia had experienced a catastrophic nuclear accident before the one at Chernobyl (in the Ukraine, as us old people still say), but the place name screamed Russia to me.  Not surprising that both were in the Soviet Union, though.

Oops, make that "we old people".

16 hours ago, HissyFit said:

It's a good thing the middle guy wasn't afflicted with the swaying syndrome like Mackenzie and Sam. The contestant panel would have looked like a line dance.

I didn't even notice any swaying.

14 hours ago, theartandsound said:

Today's (19th Feb) game was great. Nice battle between MacKenzie and Sam. I really like MacKenzie.. she had a real poker face during FJ. When Alex got to her answer you'd think someone killed her dog. Then BOOM, won by $1. Nice.

It was a great game, but I really didn't want MacKenzie to win.  I was hoping that wasn't a poker face.

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Feminine Mystique being a TS annoyed me enough, and then Alex chimed in with his "You picked the wrong one" nonsense.  Yeah, Alex, because there are only two "feminist classics".  There aren't even only two classics associated with sparking the second wave, so even if the clue got that specific I'd be annoyed. 

Honestly, there are really only two that most people know of: The Feminine Mystique and The Second Sex.  If they know of any at all.  Hell, I've been a feminist since my formative years in the 70s, and I only know about those two, and have never read either one.  I actually thought "No, the other one" when MacKenzie gave the wrong answer.  I'd already said The Feminine Mystique aloud, of course.

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Animated TV Characters category was not my friend in the first round; that's not my genre, so I only knew Scooby-Doo and correctly guessed SpongeBob SquarePants.

I ran that category even though I've never watched Bojack Horseman.  I've heard of it from the internet, though.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

Alex was correct -- Middle East plus cedars led me immediately to Lebanon, which I can spell.  I was rooting for Amal until she started ringing in randomly with wild-ass guesses.  

I also knew wiener schnitzel (which I did not know how to spell), Ecclesiastes, Chile, and Trafalgar. 

• Love 4
On 2/19/2020 at 9:19 AM, Trey said:

Spoiler
Spoiler

At first I had no idea but the word cedar was the clue-- Cedars of Lebanon. Not too shabby a game for me tonight. Does Mackenzie look like she could be James' sister? At certain times, when she's smiling, she looks so much like him.

7 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Alex was correct -- Middle East plus cedars led me immediately to Lebanon....

It led me to Israel. It also led me to believe I was wrong. 

I did get Ray Donovan, Chile, and Trafalgar. Granted, the last two were wild-ass guesses, but I'm still giving myself credit.

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Alex was correct -- Middle East plus cedars led me immediately to Lebanon, which I can spell.  I was rooting for Amal until she started ringing in randomly with wild-ass guesses.  

I also knew wiener schnitzel (which I did not know how to spell), Ecclesiastes, Chile, and Trafalgar. 

I knew all those except Chile.  I’ve seen Nelson’s HMS Victory in Portsmouth, England. I guessed Lebanon for FJ; that’s one for me this week.

Yeah, 'cedar' was a dead giveaway. It's on their flag, ffs.

I did take a bit of a detour before I read the 'cedar' part of the clue though, as "Middle Eastern country" + "space" = Kazakhstan for me. I didn't actually know about Lebanon's space program but the cedar piece ruled out anything else.

• Love 1