Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Don't know about flipping syllables but she did add an 'n', I noticed that when she said it and wondered about it.

Apparently the e has an accent under it which makes it a nasal sound.  However that wasn't the problem - she did reverse consonants, saying Lawensa rather than Walensa.

Only a couple of ts's for me, tintinnabulation and the missed DD of Marconi. Almost got Love Story - I remembered the "love means never having to say you're sorry" crap but the book name wouldn't come to me.

Just a guess for FJ but I figured it would be Alexander Hamilton - it so often is on Jeopardy!

Another new champ.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Can someone explain to me how the contestant “flipped the syllables” in Lech Walesa?  I wasn’t paying the closest attention but it sounded right to me.  I know it’s not exactly pronounced as it’s spelled - isn’t there some leeway?

I thought I heard her say Lech Lawesa instead of Walesa, so I assumed that was what Alex meant.

And I consider myself a huge sports fans, but I had never heard of the Queensbury rules thing from the other night in my entire life.  I was very upset with me.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also got tintinnabulation (I love that word, and the poem), Marconi, Love Story, and alloys.

I love that word too.

5 minutes ago, Trey said:

Almost got Love Story - I remembered the "love means never having to say you're sorry" crap but the book name wouldn't come to me.

Nice to see someone else feels the same as I do about that line. Even as a romantic teen, I thought it was stupid.

8 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

Vinnie should have been penalized for his Captain Sully answer. His last name is Sullenberger.

I was expecting a BMS at the minimum.

• Love 3

Growing up, hearing Lech Walesa's name on the news, it always sounded like "Valensa" to me - nice to know that the Polish pronunciation sounds nasal, and therefore like an N is in there. 

I "knew" Marquess of Queensberry - quotes because it was one of those things where I instantly said it, then re-read the clue and had no idea how I'd arrived there. (Did not know that about the Marquess' son, thanks for that bit of info!) Got Hamilton as Alex said, as soon as I saw "banking" in there.

• Love 3
On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 8:00 PM, Browncoat said:

Shoutout to @Bastet!  

I admit I had to think about FJ for a second, but I chose the correct Bronte in the end.  

And apparently it was my night to only get TS that were people -- Nora Ephron, Fred Astaire, Fred Willard, and Fred Macmurray.  I didn't write down any others!

I didn't get Fred Willard.  All of I could think of was Fred Ward, and I knew that wasn't right.

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 8:33 PM, DrScottie said:

I got Charlotte Bronte. I read Jane Eyre at some point in high school English class. 

I had to do my usual "Charlotte Bronte, wait, no, maybe that one was Emily" routine, but did settle on Charlotte in time.  I have a copy of Jane Eyre and read it years ago, but didn't care for it.  I got to page 3 of Wuthering Heights before giving up.  Victorian literature isn't my bag.

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 8:33 PM, DrScottie said:

New World didn't quite come to me in time. 

Dvorak's Symphony #9, From the New World (commonly called the New World symphony) is one of my favorite pieces of music ever, so that one was an instaget for me.  I didn't know that Michael Tilson Thomas had started a symphony, but the Dvorak part of the clue gave it away.  I loved that category and got all of them.  I mentioned the Academy of Music in Philadelphia here at primetimer just the other day.

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 11:03 PM, Bastet said:

The megaphone, stripper, Fred Willard and "Daughter" TS surprised me a bit (that last one mostly that no one even guessed a family member that hadn't already been an answer in the category, and Willard because there was a picture). 

I'm not a Pearl Jam fan and have never heard of that song.  I think I may have said Mother.

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 11:31 PM, saber5055 said:

It's been suggested that players were told to include first names for FJ.

I imagine they had to do so, because there were 3 Bronte sisters who wrote novels, two of whom are well-known, so Bronte alone would not have been sufficient.  I know many of us here would've been upset if that had been accepted as the answer.  I'm good with Alex saying that first names had to be included.  I know he does tell contestants to use "What is", "Who is", etc., for the start of their FJ question.

On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 12:20 PM, Katy M said:

IIRC, the governess in Turn of the Screw was a widow.  So, she wouldn't be a spinster at any point in the book.

Nope, she was unmarried.

On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 1:30 PM, dgpolo said:

Really both were a bit too young to be considered spinsters.

Clearly whoever said the quote used in the clue thought Jane Eyre was a spinster.  Probably some male author.  Maybe Dickens - he was an ass about women, and to women, especially his wife.

• Love 1
On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 10:22 PM, chessiegal said:

I didn't even know what sport they were going for in FJ, let alone the answer. My husband got it quickly, so I'm giving him a GFY.

I used to watch Olympic boxing and have read more than one historical novel involving boxing so it was an instaget for me.

On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 10:55 PM, Cotypubby said:

Not even a clue for FJ. That seemed like really really obscure knowledge.

It's not obscure, it's just a bit specialized.

17 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Can someone explain to me how the contestant “flipped the syllables” in Lech Walesa?

According to j-archive, she said Lawensa.  It's pronounced "Walensa" so the n was okay.

I almost said etouffee but didn't.  Rats.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Trey said:

Almost got Love Story - I remembered the "love means never having to say you're sorry" crap but the book name wouldn't come to me.

I've always hated that line.  Love really means having to say you're sorry all the time, often when you're not sorry at all, or when you're not sure exactly what you're apologizing for.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

Vinnie should have been penalized for his Captain Sully answer. His last name is Sullenberger.

They somewhat recently accepted Mooch (or it might have been The Mooch ) for Anthony Scaramucci.

Edited by opus
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I've always hated that line.  Love really means having to say you're sorry all the time, often when you're not sorry at all, or when you're not sure exactly what you're apologizing for.

Yes! That's what I keep telling Mr. Starling. 😉

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

I got FJ.  Whoo-Hoo!!!!

I got the TSs of steak house, anaconda, free gift, Mississippi, S.E. Hinton, Venus, walk around the earth,World Cup and something that I can't read, but it looks like nurogranathay.  Idon't think that's a thing.  It's Naragansett Bay. 

I'm also not sure if postmortem was a TS, but I got that one also if it was.

I got the entire categories of latin and Water under the bridge correct.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 2

I could not for the life of me drag Chamberlain out of the deep recesses of my brain.  I ended up saying Churchill, knowing it was incorrect.  Even when Alex said both names start with the same two letters, I couldn't come up with Chamberlain!  

But steakhouse, anaconda, free gift, Mississippi, S.E. Hinton, and Venus were no problem at all.  I'm still kind of dumbfounded that they missed the Mississippi River.  Mark Twain = the Mississippi!

• Love 5

Due to the fact that no one knew S. E. Hinton or Mississippi, I declare tonight's contest null and void. Really, people? Really? I also got steakhouse, suffragette, and walk around the world.

29 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Even when Alex said both names start with the same two letters, I couldn't come up with Chamberlain! 

It was at that point when I said, "Crap, it was Chamberlain, you dummy!"

Last night I got Marconi (which I just typed as macaroni, haha), Kaddish, Love Story, and FJ, but in one of those that's way too easy to be right kind of ways.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, opus said:
20 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

They somewhat recently accepted Mooch (or it might have been The Mooch ) for Anthony Scaramucci.

I think they might might accept those kind of answers when they are so unique they apply to only one person?

I got all the snakes and coincidentally am reading a story that had just mentioned Ball Pythons and King Cobras! weird.

Said Churchill, then said or Chamberlain, so when AT said that I knew it was probably Chamberlain.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

and something that I can't read, but it looks like nurogranathay.

I have a lot of those types of answers written on my note paper.

I would have bet my entire fortune on that snake DD and been correct. Finally, a DD in a category I know about. Snakes are my friends.

And there are some great STEAK houses in Chicago.

For the TS of Free Gift, I said Free Bee. And living a stone's throw from the Mississippi made that a no brainer. Although seriously, Huck and Jim took a raft down the ... Missouri? And Mark Twain was a steamboat pilot on ... the Missouri?

Sorry. That snark just got away from me for a bit. I say a lot of dumb answers too, they just aren't shown on national tv.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

And living a stone's throw from the Mississippi made that a no brainer. Although seriously, Huck and Jim took a raft down the ... Missouri? And Mark Twain was a steamboat pilot on ... the Missouri?

In his defense, it was in the state of Missouri.   Maybe he misspoke.  

• Love 1

Steakhouse, George Wallace, free gift, Venus, and suffragette were surprising TS, and I wasn't expecting the anaconda DD to be missed (I was, however, freakishly certain whomever rang in first on the postmortem clue was going to ignore 10-letter and "after" in quotes in order to say autopsy instead), but the Mississippi TS was a true stunner.

I missed a handful they got correct (and that I should have known if I was going to compete outside my living room), though, so I did not get any closer to my goal of a perfect game tonight. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, lb60 said:

Due to the fact that no one knew S. E. Hinton...

When that clue came up, I said to myself, "I'm supposed to know the author of The Outsiders." Maybe next time I'll remember.

I got suffragette, George Wallace, and Mississippi.

For FJ, I knew it wasn't Churchill, but I couldn't think of anyone else. When Alex gave his little hint about beginning with the same two letters, I suddenly knew who it was, though I couldn't recall his name.

• Love 3

Tonight, I had an unusual J! experience.

I'm sure many of us do the same thing, when a category is announced... think quickly of several possible answers. e.g., "Snakes" - I started thinking... boa, python, garter, etc. When the category was chosen, I ran it. Then the DD was picked, and before it was revealed, I immediately said, "anaconda". (It's the snake of my most horrific nightmare, and although I'm a huge fur baby lover, I'm NOT a snake person.) When the clue was revealed and my intuition (answer) correct, there was a loud fist-pumped GoodForMe! Maybe you had to be there 😉

Now, Mr Bliss thinks I'm even more amazing than he thought before. LOL

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
17 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

When that clue came up, I said to myself, "I'm supposed to know the author of The Outsiders." Maybe next time I'll remember.

Yes, you are. ;-)  

Back when I was working with 8th graders, it was one of my favorite books to teach.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I could not for the life of me drag Chamberlain out of the deep recesses of my brain.  I ended up saying Churchill, knowing it was incorrect.  Even when Alex said both names start with the same two letters, I couldn't come up with Chamberlain! 

I got Chamberlain, after an embarrassing detour I won't mention, but when Alex said that, I questioned my choice - not that I had Churchill in mind, it just confused me because I had to think of letters, and I don't do well with that unless I'm geared up for it.

12 hours ago, lb60 said:

Last night I got Marconi (which I just typed as macaroni, haha), Kaddish, Love Story, and FJ, but in one of those that's way too easy to be right kind of ways.

And I first read it as macaroni! 😄

10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I confidently said "Stephen King" (because of his book The Outsider), realized that was a singular title, not a plural and...just could not get to Hinton on time - though Rob Lowe popped into my mind, a frustrating, though not unpleasant, detour.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

My ts's were steakhouse, Wallace, free gift, Mississippi, and walked around the world. 

Neither Churchill nor Chamberlain even entered my mind.  I thought it was Edward VIII, a known Nazi sympathizer.

And, another new champ.

• Love 4

Well I thought it was FDR, so way off for me.  Sounded like a reference to one of his fireside chats. 

Could not come up with Hinton.  I did know Mississipi (Duh.....I mean Missouri was not a stupid guess but once it was out, the other two couldn't come up with that?), Steakhouse.  Sufragette I knew, though I would have said suffragist, or something similar, not sure they would count it.  I would not have made it the female form. 

From the other night, all I could think was "the boxing rules", didn't recall the name of them. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, lb60 said:

Back when I was working with 8th graders, it was one of my favorite books to teach.

Why do people love it? I haven't even seen the movie.

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I confidently said "Stephen King" (because of his book The Outsider)

Ahhh, so that explains why she gave that answer.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Rob Lowe popped into my mind, a frustrating, though not unpleasant, detour.

Too funny, since I came here directly from the 911 Lone Star thread. The visuals are pretty good on that show. Mr. Lowe can pop into my head any time he wishes.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Katy M said:

Water under the bridge

Today, on Cagney & Lacey, someone said "It's water under the bridge" and Lacey said "what a stupid saying. Of course, there's water under the bridge. Otherwise, why would you need a bridge?"

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

My streak continues! Chamberlain  - Mr. Appeasement. 

Seinfeld dialog:

JERRY: Vomitting is not a deal breaker. If Hitler had vomitted on Chamberlain, Chamberlain still would have given him Czechoslovakia.

GEORGE: Chamberlain...you could hold his head in the toilet, he'd still give you half of Europe.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

I read in one of those presidential-trivia books that Churchill liked walking around naked when visiting FDR in the White House.

Thanks a lot, guys, for your posts bringing back that mental visual. Rob Lowe, you can take over any time now.

• LOL 3
19 hours ago, Katy M said:

got the TSs of steak house, anaconda, free gift, Mississippi, S.E. Hinton, Venus, walk around the earth,World Cup and something that I can't read, but it looks like nurogranathay.  Idon't think that's a thing.  It's Naragansett Bay. 

I got all of those except Narragansett Bay.  And I yell at Alex that it's not the FIFA World's Cup, it's the WORLD Cup, there's no s.

I should've gotten FJ given how many things I've read and seen about Britain's actions just prior to WWII.  I've seen Darkest Hour for god's sake, which discusses Chamberlain's appeasement of Hitler a lot.  But no, I said FDR, thinking about us staying out of things until we were directly attacked.

19 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Once again, 3 contestants too young to remember a famous or infamous person. In this case he was infamous--George Wallace.

That one flabbergasted me - I know they are young, but study some freaking US history!

2 hours ago, illdoc said:

Today, on Cagney & Lacey, someone said "It's water under the bridge" and Lacey said "what a stupid saying. Of course, there's water under the bridge. Otherwise, why would you need a bridge?"

Well, occasionally it's a big empty divide with no water, but yeah.

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

ut no, I said FDR, thinking about us staying out of things until we were directly attacked.

That wouldn't have been a bad guess, but I believe the category was European leaders.

51 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

That one flabbergasted me - I know they are young, but study some freaking US history!

I would have needed another couple of minutes to come up with the name.  I nodded my head when Alex said the answer if that counts:)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I read in one of those presidential-trivia books that Churchill liked walking around naked when visiting FDR in the White House.

Thanks a lot, guys, for your posts bringing back that mental visual. Rob Lowe, you can take over any time now.

You think you're horrified? How do you think FDR felt?

• LOL 10
16 minutes ago, Katy M said:

That wouldn't have been a bad guess, but I believe the category was European leaders.

Yep, "20th Century European Leaders" to be exact.  I managed to completely fail to pay attention to the category, just having world leaders in my mind, so my first response was FDR.  Then I thought, no, that would be way too easy for FJ (with '30s given in the clue), so it must be a European leader.  I settled on Chamberlain, and didn't realize until after the fact that, duh, the category flat-out stated it was a European leader!

• Love 1

Last night's FJ was a bit of a foggy patch. I knew as soon as I had the thought of Walter Cronkite that it was wrong - on so many levels, esp since he was the same age as my mom and a quick math calc made him way too young. Math is one of my strengths (makes up for a lot of my weaknesses, I figure), so doing quick math checks works for me. Often. I also pay attention to numbers in general - years, etc. And yes, I love numerology.

Back to WC, I was just going through the Churchill/Chamberlain alternatives when Mr B said, "Walter Cronkite?"

You definitely had to be there.

• LOL 6

I got FJ.  I immediately said  Brazil and then immediately changed my answer to Argentina.

I got the TSs of icicles, desert, boiling, Cher (total guess, butit counts), John Hinkley, Don Giovani (at the last possible second, I kept thinking Casanova), Leah and Rachel, Elizabeth I, and Elijah.  I got the entire category (of 3 questions revealed) of Biblical fiction.

• Love 2

Adios, Josh. I was just beginning to like ya. Thank goodness Brooke won tonight. I could not have endured Megan a minute more. Got FJ...was thinking of Argentinian steaks on the grill. Some of the TS 's were stunning: noblesse oblige, Cher, John Hinkley?  Especially Cher & Hinkley!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Bliss said:

Back to WC, I was just going through the Churchill/Chamberlain alternatives when Mr B said, "Walter Cronkite?"

You definitely had to be there.

I also said Walter Cronkite, at first...then discarded that idea, and said Churchill. I was still fairly certain Churchill was wrong, but thrilled that it was close enough that the contestants guessed him too 🙂

• Love 3
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Got FJ...was thinking of Argentinian steaks on the grill.

We have long-time family friends who moved from Europe to Argentina before they came to the US. The dad had the BEST barbecues, and I always credited his having lived in Argentina.

I got Gulf of Aden, boiling, Cher, Don Giovanni, and Elizabeth I.

Do you think saying the Black Sox would have been accepted instead of the White Sox?

• Love 3

The validity of “before your time” aside, if you go on jeopardy and you haven’t studied presidential assassinations and near-assassinations, you haven’t done your job. Everyone standing there in silence on Hinckley was inexcusable. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

After I jotted down White Sox, I thought of the Black Sox. Wasn't there a scandal with that team?

The scandal was the one in the clue, which occurred with the White Sox, who were nicknamed the Black Sox as a result of said scandal. 

I, too, immediately wondered if they'd accept both. I think probably not since they seemed to want the team name and it's not the team's name, but who knows. They've been pretty lax lately.

• Love 6

Another archive night for me, so I must reiterate (on the off chance anyone involved with the J! Archive site reads here) how much I appreciate whatever changed this season that it is consistently updated daily, and early in the day.

The Valentine clue belonged in the Toddler Tournament.

Noblesse oblige, desert, Cher, boiling, and radiation were all varying degrees of surprising as TS, but the Hinckley TS was as shocking as last night's Mississippi TS.

I was horrible in the Cast of the TV Show category; I don't watch any of the shows, and the only one I could guess based on the info in the clue was Dr. Who.  I missed a couple of the Civil War clues (war history is not my bag) and could not spit out Gulf of Aden, so I had a worse first round than is typical for me.

In DJ, of course I didn't know any of the religious fiction clues (and I find it offensive at least three of the five were about Judeo-Christian novels) and only correctly guessed one of the Opera Zingers clues (Don Giovanni) -- my two worst subjects!

FJ came to me very quickly, but overall it was not a good game for me.  Boo, hiss.

16 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

It’s occurred to me, after watching the last few weeks, there’s an appalling (to me) lack of knowledge about the 20th century on the part of these “younger” people. And by younger I mean people in their 20s and 30s... Witness the Hinckley TS. George Wallace. Love Story... Not even knowledge of popular culture. It’s making for some really awful games. 

And what’s with the enormous number of triple stumpers lately anyway? Seriously, no one could guess steakhouse after chophouse was guessed? With the word ‘beef’ in the clue?! No one could guess Mississippi as the river under the St. Louis Arch - after the terrible answer of Missouri? 

I almost can’t bear to watch anymore! I find myself skipping the show and going to the archive because otherwise I just yell at the tv all the time!

Thank you for allowing this rant from a lurker. 😀

• Love 10