Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

It just occurred to me, in a continuation of The Jeopardy Curse, on Friday, January 24, Heather Nelson answered "Mary Higgins Clark" for FJ. (Real answer, Danielle Steel.)

Mary Higgins Clark died seven days later, January 31, at age 92.

29 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

It's been years since I read it, so you may be right, but I don't recall her or anyone else ever mentioning a dead husband.

well, like you, it's been a while.  I'm probably confusing it with a retelling.

I had a fun game last night. Shout out to Peeayebee...the wine helped. I got Norah Ephron, stripper (which the beau got right away lol), the 3 Freds, and true to my disgust I picked the wrong Bronte even though I knew the correct book. Ugh. lol

• Love 2

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/209/209-h/209-h.htm

"...the written statement took up the tale at a point after it had, in a manner, begun. The fact to be in possession of was therefore that his old friend, the youngest of several daughters of a poor country parson, had, at the age of twenty, on taking service for the first time in the schoolroom,..."

Spinster, if you ask me.  And a spinster is any woman who remains single beyond the usual age of marrying, so if everybody else marries at 17 and you're 20 & single, you're a spinster.  I, at 70, have been a spinster for MANY decades!  Hahahaha.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

6 hours ago, Trey said:

For FJ, I knew it was Bronte - I was thinking Charlotte, Emily, Charlotte, Emily, and fortunately landed on the right one.

I did the same. The  only Brontes I dismissed were Anne and Bramwell.

I groaned at the Egyptian category, then got all the clues except the one I was most familiar with (Anubis). When his picture appeared, my brain shorted out.

But I had a pretty good game. Got most of the TSs. I only missed Fred McMurry because my husband beat me to it, otherwise I ran the category. I also ran the after meat (beyond meat?) category.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3

I got Nora Ephron, megaphone, stripper, Turner, Fred Astaire, Fred Willard, and Fred McMurray.

For FJ at first I confidently said Jane Eyre but then realized they wanted the author, so I said Emily Bronte. Oh well.

• Love 2

This blurb by Will Shortz, crossword puzzle editor of the New York Times, appeared with a recent Sunday puzzle created by a former Jeopardy! winner.

"Erik Agard, 26, became the crossword editor of USA Today in December, the youngest in the paper's history. He's also a former national crossword champion and a three-day champion on 'Jeopardy!'

"Last year Erik had 21 crosswords published in The Times, the most of any contributor."

I didn't realize Erik was so young when he appeared on J!  What an impressive bullet point to have on a resume!

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

Thanks for that info @HissyFit. I remember when Erik was on. I think one of his interview stories was about being published in the NYT or hoping he would be. So cool he's now on staff at USAT. IMO, his resume is now iron clad golden. Although I'd be intimidated by it if I were interviewing him for a job!

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I had a fun game last night. Shout out to Peeayebee...the wine helped. I got Norah Ephron, stripper (which the beau got right away lol), the 3 Freds, and true to my disgust I picked the wrong Bronte even though I knew the correct book. Ugh. lol

Well I had the wrong bronte and the wrong book, so you are one up on me. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Excellent start to the week -- give me an asterisk, please!  Assuming spelling it "Marquis of Queensbury" would be accepted.  A quick google tells me that it's actually Marquess, but I'd pronounce them the same.

It doesn't hurt my feelings that the middle guy won.

I also managed to get inland, Aeneas, It's A Wonderful Life Is Beautiful, The Monuments Men In Black, and Nashville.

• Love 5

I finally got FJ after they revealed the first two wrong answers, but of course that was too late.  My official answer, which I knew was wrong, but for lack of anything better, was Roberts' rules of order.

I got the TSs of insland, peerless and It's a Wonderful Life is Beautiful.

I got the entire categoires of rest of saying and winter reading right.

2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

xcellent start to the week -- give me an asterisk, please!  Assuming spelling it "Marquis of Queensbury" would be accepted.  A quick google tells me that it's actually Marquess, but I'd pronounce them the same.

Weren't they looking for the name of the rule.  Technically that wouldn't have Marquess in it, would it?  They're the Queensbury rules.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Weren't they looking for the name of the rule.  Technically that wouldn't have Marquess in it, would it?  They're the Queensbury rules.

Google tells me that they are also known as the Marquess of Queensberry Rules.  (Turns out I misspelled Queensberry as well.)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I finally got FJ after they revealed the first two wrong answers, but of course that was too late.  My official answer, which I knew was wrong, but for lack of anything better, was Roberts' rules of order.

I got the TSs of insland, peerless and It's a Wonderful Life is Beautiful.

I got the entire categoires of rest of saying and winter reading right.

I thought of Roberts too!  And was hoping Alex was going to say that guy actually went by Robert 😆

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The inland TS was a bit surprising (but I correctly predicted they were going to whiff malt in the same category), as was sole.

I recently agreed with a poster in another thread on having zero interest in anything James Bond, but even I know who wrote the books - but damned if I could spit out Fleming's name tonight.  So no perfect first round for me.  And definitely no perfect DJ round; I missed a handful.  No FJ, either; I can't stand boxing, so I didn't even know what sport was involved, let alone the name of the rules.  I could have sat here until I expired and never come up with it.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I was thisclose. I said the Marquis of Marbury rules.

West Wing?  Lord John Marbury was a memorable character.

I would have bet nothing on a sports question, but I knew it was boxing, and remembered Marquess of Queensbury just in time.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Not even a clue for FJ. That seemed like really really obscure knowledge. All I could think was Robert’s Rules of Order even though I don’t even really know what that is, just that I’ve heard it be an answer in the past. 😂

• Love 2

Add my name to the Robert's Rules of Order list. Also, to the list that knew it was wrong. The only sport I could think of was cricket. So, basically I had not a clue.

Off to a great start this week. lol

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Add my name to the Robert's Rules of Order list. Also, to the list that knew it was wrong. The only sport I could think of was cricket.

Hello my twin. And thanks for doing my thinking for me.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

All I could think was Robert’s Rules of Order even though I don’t even really know what that is, just that I’ve heard it be an answer in the past. 😂

Oh my goodness. You are so lucky not to belong to an organization that spent over 3 years arguing about Bylaws that may or may not have adhered to Robert's rules. I wish there were only 12.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I knew FJ because I researched boxing for one of my historical novels, and if I never write another fight scene again, it'll be too soon!

Re: Mary Higgins Clark (RIP - she was a sweetheart and a real lady). Her daughter Carol and I did a booksigning together. I sat next to Carol. Everyone (and I do mean everyone) would hand her a book to sign and, at the same time, say, "Are you related to Mary Higgins Clark?" Carol would say yes and they'd say something like, "Ooh, I LOVE your mother's books" or "Tell your mom how much I enjoy her books."

I told Carol she should reply, "No, I'm not related. I just like the last name Higgins Clark, so I decided to use it."

She laughed and said, "They are buying my books, aren't they?"

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

Me too. The initial letter "Q" and boxing were floating around in my head like a butterfly, but the answer never stung me.

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

That's almost worth an asterisk if you ask me.

Or, say, an asterisk with an asterisk. 😉

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I'm actually surprised that at least one person didn't get FJ.  

An interesting fact about the Marquess of Queensberry, - it was his son that had an affair with Oscar Wilde which led to Oscar Wilde suing the Marquess for libel which led to Oscar going to jail. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

Only one ts for me, malt from Malta.

Not an instaget FJ but pretty close.  I wasn't sure if it was Queensbury or Queensberry or some other variation but I guess it wouldn't have mattered since they are all pronounced the same, or close enough.

Vinnie made the proper wager for a third place contestant since the other two had to wager big.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

An interesting fact about the Marquess of Queensberry, - it was his son that had an affair with Oscar Wilde which led to Oscar Wilde suing the Marquess for libel which led to Oscar going to jail. 

Thank you.  Wilde dislikes the conditions in prison, and said something like "If England treats her criminals the way she has treated me, she doesn't deserve to have any."

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I never watched The West Wing. I have no idea where Marbury came from in my head.

The air is full of invisible sight and sound waves. One from an old West Wing rerun just struck your head and entered your brain.

• LOL 1

Christmastime in 1991 we were playing Trivial Pursuit and Mrs Genius got a question asking who the comicbook character Captain Marvel's image was based on. I gave her a hint that it was a celebrity that had died very recently. She laughed and blurted "Freddie Mercury!" I said, YOU DON'T KNOW HOW CLOSE YOU ARE! because the answer was Fred MacMurray. Since then, we've thought the two of them made a particularly amusing mash-up (My Three Queens,  anyone?).

• LOL 8
5 minutes ago, Gimmick Genius said:

Christmastime in 1991 we were playing Trivial Pursuit and Mrs Genius got a question asking who the comicbook character Captain Marvel's image was based on. I gave her a hint that it was a celebrity that had died very recently. She laughed and blurted "Freddie Mercury!" I said, YOU DON'T KNOW HOW CLOSE YOU ARE! because the answer was Fred MacMurray. Since then, we've thought the two of them made a particularly amusing mash-up (My Three Queens,  anyone?).

Freddie MacMercury?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The Mrs and I both thought Monday's final was a gimme. We didn't know Queensberry's 'civilian' name but the year and sports/amateur/rules clues made us think it couldn't be anything else. 

I said "Monument Men in Black" so I'd have been wrong, leaving the s (plural) off the first word.

I'll miss "Gor-vi" -- she was a Doll (sorry)...

Edited by Gimmick Genius
Spelling
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Can someone explain to me how the contestant “flipped the syllables” in Lech Walesa?  I wasn’t paying the closest attention but it sounded right to me.  I know it’s not exactly pronounced as it’s spelled - isn’t there some leeway?

And “minimum wage” didn’t sound exactly right for that clue. Shouldn’t it have been “tipped minimum wage”?

1 minute ago, SoMuchTV said:

And “minimum wage” didn’t sound exactly right for that clue. Shouldn’t it have been “tipped minimum wage”?

tipped was in the clue so, yes, it's minimum wage for tipped employees.

I got FJ right.  I got the TSs of Marconi, Love Story, alloys and warrens.  Overall, not a great night.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Can someone explain to me how the contestant “flipped the syllables” in Lech Walesa?

Don't know about flipping syllables but she did add an 'n', I noticed that when she said it and wondered about it.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Gimmick Genius said:

Christmastime in 1991 we were playing Trivial Pursuit and Mrs Genius got a question asking who the comicbook character Captain Marvel's image was based on. I gave her a hint that it was a celebrity that had died very recently. She laughed and blurted "Freddie Mercury!" I said, YOU DON'T KNOW HOW CLOSE YOU ARE! because the answer was Fred MacMurray. 

That is freaky and cool!

Yay! I got FJ!

As for TSs, I got etouffee, Love Story, alloys, and warrens, as well as Marconi. I THINK I got tintinnabulation, but I'm not sure I would have said it correctly.

4 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Don't know about flipping syllables but she did add an 'n', I noticed that when she said it and wondered about it.

Vinnie should have been penalized for his Captain Sully answer. His last name is Sullenberger.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

Vinnie should have been penalized for his Captain Sully answer. His last name is Sullenberger.

I'm glad he wasn't because that's what I said. He's not penalized, I'm not penalized.

• LOL 4