Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 2/6/2020 at 5:44 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

NNOOoooooo.  It's a Rosemary Clooney song! And she hated it. She also hated Come On-A My House, but they were both such big hits for her, she had to continue to sing them, no matter how much she disliked them.

My family didn't have any Clooney records, but Deano was a big hit with them. So for me, it's Dean's song. I developed an odd taste for his music recently, after a lifetime of not caring for him. The husband is confused.

23 hours ago, dgpolo said:

This! as I get older I find this happening more and more, my daughter said I should take the online test I told her maybe 5-10 years ago but now my reflexes are too slow and so many times I -know- the answer but can't get them to form a word. And too many times I can picture a person but only be able to say their first name which doesn't count.

Thank you. It makes me feel better that you, and other posters, do the same thing. I keep telling my husband "now if they only had online tests back in the day..." LOL.

19 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I knew it was Lee, and still wondered for a moment if it was someone else, just because it was so obvious.

Well it helped me that at that moment I literally could not think of any other Confederacy officer. When I said this, the husband rattled off a number of them (this era being his specialty), but in the moment I was blissfully ignorant and got it. (as did he, of course)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3

I got FJ.  The tree and Apollo cinched it for me.  

I think the only TS I got was Dutch.  I got the entire category of B in your bonnet, and I managed to get one director, so no completely wrong categories.

• Love 1

Instaget FJ for me tonight, though I said "poet laureate" instead of just "laureate".  Not sure what Travis was thinking with his response.

Better game tonight, with lots fewer TS.  I got Born In The USA, bicorn, Democratic Party, and Billy Wilder.

I miss Travis already.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight, though I said "poet laureate" instead of just "laureate".  Not sure what Travis was thinking with his response.

He was thinking he didn't know and took a wild stab.

I also got gold and silver. Was that a TS?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

He was thinking he didn't know and took a wild stab.

I also got gold and silver. Was that a TS?

I think the third person to answer got gold and silver.  That might have been Travis.

• Love 5

I wrote poet laureate for FJ...and thought that it was correct. Wasn't it? Sad to see Travis go. Such a nice & fun contestant.  I've noticed lately that Jeopardy has become more viewer friendly.  Shots of the audience, little comments from the contestants (after they miss an answer), Travis's son shown a few times, etc. Thinking back, it used to be much more serious and formal.  I like the change.

• Love 3

Aww...I’m sorry to see Travis go and I liked that his family was there to support him. Who knows, maybe his son will be on the show someday if he can put down his gaming devices. I got Democratic, Billy Wilde, Sister Wendy (loved her art shows), but drew a blank on FJ. Ugh. Also I was annoyed with the Sandpiper clue. They must have really been searching for clues in that category if that’s the best they could come up with. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
I should have proofread.
  • Love 2

I knew Travis was doomed as soon as Alex mentioned he was on a bit of a roll. Thanks a lot, Alex.

I got FJ and that's all I have to say about tonight's game.

Farewell, Travis.

6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

And if a contestant doesn't want to have to say aloud what they've written, they shouldn't write it done.

I completely agree.

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, lb60 said:

I knew Travis was doomed as soon as Alex mentioned he was on a bit of a roll. Thanks a lot, Alex.

I got FJ and that's all I have to say about tonight's game.

Farewell, Travis.

I completely agree.

But sometimes they are making a real guess, but once the answer is revealed you can see how far off they were.  Or, like tonight, they don’t even finish writing a full answer.  Alex needs to lay off.

• Love 1

My eyes bugged out at "Born in the U.S.A." being a TS - at least toss it out as a guess!

I was also surprised Democratic was a TS.  I can't decide if Billy Wilder and Elia Kazan being TS surprised me or not; I guess not, even though Oscar history is one of those subjects I figure most contestants study up on.

Sorry to see Travis go, but Patrick does not offend me. 😄

I got Born in the USA, Billy Wilder, and Elia Kazan. I was just about to say bi-corner but ran out of time. I'd never heard of that, only tri-corner, but I figured it out.

I came up with Poet Laureate pretty quickly, but then I saw the category (Banks and Titles) and wondered what it had to do with banks.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Jesse said:

I call bullshit on "laureate" being acceptable on its own. Is a Nobel laureate a national literary award (or whatever they said)?? No it is not! They needed poet laureate.

I think they accepted it because of the way they worded the clue.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I wrote poet laureate for FJ...and thought that it was correct. Wasn't it? Sad to see Travis go. Such a nice & fun contestant.  I've noticed lately that Jeopardy has become more viewer friendly.  Shots of the audience, little comments from the contestants (after they miss an answer), Travis's son shown a few times, etc. Thinking back, it used to be much more serious and formal.  I like the change.

Yes it was. Cherisa had Poet Laureate as her answer and it was deemed right.

12 hours ago, Jesse said:

I call bullshit on "laureate" being acceptable on its own. Is a Nobel laureate a national literary award (or whatever they said)?? No it is not! They needed poet laureate.

They said "artistic" title. So I'm with you on calling BS. I did a quick (very quick) search on the etymology, and not one leads back to Greece (well, of the two I looked at). One said the first reference to "Luareate poete" in literature was from Chaucer, the other said the word is derived from Latin. It's early so I didn't do a comprehensive search. Open to hearing more. 🙂

12 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Also I was annoyed with the Sandpiper clue. They must have really been searching for clues in that category if that’s the best they could come up with. 

I know, right? I got the bird as an instaget before the full clue was read - and was very proud for a second, because birds aren't my thing. But then they handed half of the bird's name over, putting it in the stupid answer category.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

They said "artistic" title. So I'm with you on calling BS. I did a quick (very quick) search on the etymology, and not one leads back to Greece (well, of the two I looked at). One said the first reference to "Luareate poete" in literature was from Chaucer, the other said the word is derived from Latin. It's early so I didn't do a comprehensive search. Open to hearing more. 🙂

Olympic winners were decorated with a wreath of laurel.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Jesse said:

I agree with the above. I googled "laureate" and all that came up was NOBEL Laureate, not one single any-other laureate. Poet Laureate is an artistic title, just plain laureate is not. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

AT was back to his snarky ways ripping into one player for the answer of brigadier general. "I don't think that's an artistic title," he says. So irritating, since the category of RANK and Titles led me down the same road. I went through all the military ranks for one that sounded like a tree. So can the snark, Trebek. Let's see you pick up a buzzer and play a game or two without your answer notes in front of you.

For the TS  of Jane Smilie, I said Guy Smilie, a famous Muppet interviewer and the name of one of my old champion dogs, so named because her face marking made it look like she was smiling.

I got the TS of bicorn hat. I figured if one removed a corner from a tricorn, it would be a bicorn. Yeay for me and my deductive reasoning.

I was hoping Oro y Plata would be a TS, but no, the third player got it. It's Montana's state motto, and was the opening sentence (well, partial sentence) of the cover story I wrote about a Montana business.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

A very famous UK show dog of the '40s was named Laurel Wreath.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

For the TS  of Jane Smilie, I said Guy Smilie, a famous Muppet interviewer and the name of one of my old champion dogs, so named because her face marking made it look like she was smiling.

I was annoyed with myself because I just read a Jane Smiley book a few months ago.  Didn't much like it, but I did read it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Which is why I was confused that I didn't actually find anything leading back to the Greeks in terms of language (rank and title). Then again, I did a quick and dirty search.

17 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Having raised my kids on Sesame Street, that's the one that came to mind first - then a Smiley who was a character in spy novels (I think).

23 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

then a Smiley who was a character in spy novels (I think).

Yes, George Smiley - that's what I said too. NHO Jane Smiley but then I don't get out much.

I did get FJ - not an instaget but pretty quickly - and I said "poet laureate".  At least I won't be skunked again this week.

I liked Travis but new champ is ok too.  I really wanted Paige from Wednesday's game to win; I liked her.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:
15 hours ago, Jesse said:

They said "artistic" title. So I'm with you on calling BS.

My quick google search had this definition as the first hit.

"a person who is honored with an award for outstanding creative or intellectual achievement"

and this definition for 'creative'

"relating to or involving the imagination or original ideas, especially in the production of an artistic work."

So I think they were ok in accepting just laureate.

I also don't think Brigadier Generals are known for their artistic ways, AT just found it funny, as did I.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

So irritating, since the category of RANK and Titles led me down the same road. I went through all the military ranks for one that sounded like a tree.

The clue specified an artistic title, though.

1 hour ago, Trey said:

Yes, George Smiley - that's what I said too.

That's who I thought of.  Didn't say it because I knew he was the character, not the author, but he and Stuart Smiley were the only names which came to my mind.  I've heard of Jane Smiley, but clearly I'd flushed her name right out of my brain.

1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

I also don't think Brigadier Generals are known for their artistic ways, AT just found it funny, as did I.

Me, too.

I had a little trouble because Pepper was doing her version of a biathlon.  Get into something she shouldn't and then run away from Mommy.

FJ was an instaget.  I got the TSs of Fred Astaire (really?) and Fred Willard.  I could picture Fred McMurray but said Frederick Douglas.  I think Douglas was the family last name on My Three Sons, so I'll forgive myself my momentary idiocy.

I got the entire category of Egyptian mythology correct.

• Love 6

Shoutout to @Bastet!  

I admit I had to think about FJ for a second, but I chose the correct Bronte in the end.  

And apparently it was my night to only get TS that were people -- Nora Ephron, Fred Astaire, Fred Willard, and Fred Macmurray.  I didn't write down any others!

• Love 6

I liked Gauravi (or Gor-vi) so I'm glad she won. I'm curious about the combination of nuclear engineer and improv comedian. 

I got Fred Astaire and Fred Willard, Daughter, stripper, megaphone, and the late great Nora Ephron. New World didn't quite come to me in time. 

I got Charlotte Bronte. I read Jane Eyre at some point in high school English class. 

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

I liked Gauravi (or Gor-vi) so I'm glad she won. I'm curious about the combination of nuclear engineer and improv comedian.

My guess is she picked up improv when she was done with chef school. I like her, too.

• Love 2

I felt extremely old with all the Fred TSs (although the dreaded before your time phrase was not uttered).  Willard and McMurray were bad enough (and I now have the My Three Sons theme song for an ear worm) but seriously how many dancing  Freds are there in the movies that no one could even make a guess?

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I kept second guessing myself - instead of Jane Eyre, I thought of The Turn of the Screw and said Henry James. Then I went back to Charlotte, and back to Henry. It was a real dilemma for me until I realized J! likes the Brontes.

I said Henry James too. I thought the description in the clue fit the Turn of the Screw governess better than Jane Eyre. Much of the book is devoted to Jane's romance and eventual marriage, so I didn't associate her with "spinster". And yet Charlotte Bronte was making the point that a Victorian heroine does not have to be beautiful to make for interesting reading, so I guess someone decided "plainness = spinsterhood."

• Love 3
3 hours ago, HissyFit said:

Bow to the goddess @Bastet.... we are honored to be in your presence.

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Shoutout to @Bastet!

Finally, a religion/mythology clue I could answer!

I had some work I opted to plow through and finish, rather than taking a break to watch the show, so I had to read the archive.  I can't remember if I have she has ever been a clue before in the many years I've watched (almost certainly, over all that time, but I've forgotten).

The Fred Astaire TS was a doozy; Fred MacMurray being a "before their time" TS did not surprise me, but Fred Astaire when they were spotted Fred, actor, and dancing?  The megaphone, stripper, Fred Willard and "Daughter" TS surprised me a bit (that last one mostly that no one even guessed a family member that hadn't already been an answer in the category, and Willard because there was a picture).  The missed DD of Nora Ephron made me a little sad, even though they chose my least-favorite of her films to include in the clue. 

I ran the first round, but the perfect game remains elusive, as I didn't do as well in DJ - I missed about half a dozen - and took so long to decide on a FJ answer (eventually picking the right author) that I can't give myself credit for it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Grundoon59 said:

I felt extremely old with all the Fred TSs (although the dreaded before your time phrase was not uttered).  Willard and McMurray were bad enough

Fred Willard is a regular on Jimmy Kimmel and was just on two nights ago. So he's def not BYT. You are still a young hep cat by knowing him.

I mastered the Fred category, and got a Nora Efron tossed in for free.

It's been suggested that players were told to include first names for FJ.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I kept second guessing myself - instead of Jane Eyre, I thought of The Turn of the Screw and said Henry James. Then I went back to Charlotte, and back to Henry. It was a real dilemma for me until I realized J! likes the Brontes.

2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I said Henry James too. I thought the description in the clue fit the Turn of the Screw governess better than Jane Eyre. Much of the book is devoted to Jane's romance and eventual marriage, so I didn't associate her with "spinster". And yet Charlotte Bronte was making the point that a Victorian heroine does not have to be beautiful to make for interesting reading, so I guess someone decided "plainness = spinsterhood."

I also guessed Henry James for Turn of the Screw.

I've read a couple of Jane Smiley books (Moo and A Thousand Acres), so I knew her right away.

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I can't remember if I have she has ever been a clue before in the many years I've watched (almost certainly, over all that time, but I've forgotten).

J-archive is missing some games that are lost to time, but it only has one hit for Bastet out of 385,888 clues (as of right now). Congrats!

• Love 4

Lots of ts's for me last night, Nora Ephron, megaphone, stripper, Fred Astaire, Fred Willard (saw him a couple of nights ago on an old Murder, She Wrote), and Fred McMurray.

Thanks to Elizabeth Peters and Amelia Peabody, I got 4/5 in Egyptian gods - nearly got the fifth - I knew Anubis but the name just wouldn't come to me in time.

For FJ, I knew it was Bronte - I was thinking Charlotte, Emily, Charlotte, Emily, and fortunately landed on the right one.

I like the new champ too.

• Love 2
On 2/6/2020 at 11:45 AM, saber5055 said:

And which I do not. In my world, orphanage does not even remotely rhyme with smidge. Why do writers continue to go with poor answers when so many other words better fit the category.

So now I'm really curious how you pronounce orphanage. Because for me, they 100% rhyme! Both end in an -idj sound.

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

IIRC, the governess in Turn of the Screw was a widow.  So, she wouldn't be a spinster at any point in the book.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Trey said:

Thanks to Elizabeth Peters and Amelia Peabody, I got 4/5 in Egyptian gods - nearly got the fifth - I knew Anubis but the name just wouldn't come to me in time.

I knew Anubis thanks to Johnny Quest.  (It doesn't matter why/how you know it as long as you know it, right?)  

Edited by harrie
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

IIRC, the governess in Turn of the Screw was a widow.  So, she wouldn't be a spinster at any point in the book.

It's been years since I read it, so you may be right, but I don't recall her or anyone else ever mentioning a dead husband.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

It's been years since I read it, so you may be right, but I don't recall her or anyone else ever mentioning a dead husband.

No, I don't believe she was ever married. In fact I believe she had just finished her education, very similar to Jane Eyre, and around the same age too. Really both were a bit too young to be considered spinsters.

• Love 1