Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Everything's Okay

While investigating a beekeeper's murder with Lucifer, Chloe insists that she's completely fine with his devilish revelation, thank you very much.

Not bad at all. It seems the show is getting rid of a lot of dead weight, like Maze and Linda's fallout over Amenadiel or the forced tension between Luci and Maze. I also found Luci more threatening and less clownish, which was great.

Loved every scene with Maze, especially with Linda. I lost it when Amy came in to "stop the fight for him" lol

I spent the whole episode thinking that Chloe's reaction was quite understable right until the final twist. OMG. I guess they're planning to send him back to Hell (I can't see her trying to kill him), but it's still a pretty shitty thing to do. 

Also, her new face was a bit distracting.

• Love 6

Amenadiel's attempt to break up the women had me rolling... I've never really liked Chloe.. This twist at the end doesn't really move my needle on her one way or the other 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Helena Dax said:

Not bad at all. It seems the show is getting rid of a lot of dead weight, like Maze and Linda's fallout over Amenadiel or the forced tension between Luci and Maze. I also found Luci more threatening and less clownish, which was great.

Fellt like the writers saying "we're so so sorry" over and over again. Everything the fans hated, they reversed this episode. Maze's general character assasination last season, Maze not apologising to Trixie and that just being glossed over, the cat fight over Amenadiel, etc.

4 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

I've never really liked Chloe.. This twist at the end doesn't really move my needle on her one way or the other 

It might finally make her interesting though. She used to be such bland blend of blandness.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Miles said:

Fellt like the writers saying "we're so so sorry" over and over again. Everything the fans hated, they reversed this episode.

Makes one wonder how much FOX meddled in the show and how much was the showrunner's choice last season.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Delphi said:

Well that was fucking fantastic! Ugh not watching this all at once is going to be so difficult. 

Fucking Lays Potato Chips!!! This is finally "Lucifer"  unleashed and I don't mean just the man.  Everyone is acting like real people presented with the impossible, and I love it!  All the complaints and confusion stemming from unbelievable reactions have been wiped clean.  I love this shit.  Netflix did some righteous straightening of this series.  Now, it's virtually impossible to watch a single episode and then stop.  I had to send myself to bed otherwise I would still be watching it. Trixie and Maze were so precious together I had the proverbial dust in my eyes.

You guys chose this time to create separate threads for each episode?????  WTF????  Do you guys know how hard it is to post thoughts about a single episode that literally drives you to watch the next episode and the one after that?

Maze and Douche for the win!!!  Linda and her situation were handled like a real traumatic drama. Linda's talk with Chloe was SO on point!!

Damn Netflix, thanks for giving us this treat!!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Jacks-Son said:

Fucking Lays Potato Chips!!! This is finally "Lucifer"  unleashed and I don't mean just the man.  Everyone is acting like real people presented with the impossible, and I love it!  All the complaints and confusion stemming from unbelievable reactions have been wiped clean.  I love this shit.  Netflix did some righteous straightening of this series.  Now, it's virtually impossible to watch a single episode and then stop.  I had to send myself to bed otherwise I would still be watching it. Trixie and Maze were so precious together I had the proverbial dust in my eyes.

You guys chose this time to create separate threads for each episode?????  WTF????  Do you guys know how hard it is to post thoughts about a single episode that literally drives you to watch the next episode and the one after that?

Maze and Douche for the win!!!  Linda and her situation were handled like a real traumatic drama. Linda's talk with Chloe was SO on point!!

Damn Netflix, thanks for giving us this treat!!

On episode 9 now and ur right... Dunno why this was set up for individual episodes... I still wish that there was more interaction between Lucifer and his brother... And I felt let down by his the other sibling was handled... Arrrgh I don't want to name names and spoil stuff but I've already forgotten which episode a particular moment that spurred on a thought came from 

I am glad we get individual episode threads, so we can talk about each episode without having to worry about spoilers, even if it can be hard to wait between episodes during a binge!

Well damn, now this is a show that I can be excited about getting another season! Its like you could see the writers coming on screen saying "yeah, we`re really sorry about all that crap last season, we`re gonna do better, we promise!" It does make you wonder how much was the show runner and writers, and how much of the flaws of next season were network interference...

People are acting like normal people, not bobbleheads come to life, which is wonderful to see. Ella is cute and not annoying, Maze is awesome and not pathetic, Lucifer can be threatening and not clownish, its great. 

Maze is back to her normal, awesome self, with no stupid love triangle in sight! I so missed her and Linda being besties and her friendships with Chloe and Trixie, and how she apologized and they forgave her, after saying their piece. And Linda has been taking kickboxing classes, look out yall. And Maze speaking in a demon language. And Amenadiel running in to "stop fighting" and realizing that everything was sorted out. Just so great to be back to the good times. 

Amenadiel desperately looking for excuses to stay in LA but finally admitting that he just wants to stay and be with everyone there because its what he wants was a really great character beat, and his scene with Dan was really lovely.

Sasha Roiz sighting! Nice to see him pop up here, playing a guy who really picked the wrong job if he hates criminals. See, the parallel was somewhat subtle between the crime and events with the characters, not over the top ridiculous! 

Damn Chloe! What did you do?! At least her apparently being some kind of church double agent working against Lucifer makes her interesting.

• Love 12

That was great, I'm completely fine with them glossing over most of the stupid crap that happened last season. The VFX budget also looks like it went up. We saw Luci's devil face more than a couple times. 

I loved seeing Maze and Linda being friends again and hearing Maze speak in her demon language. Also loved her making up with Trixie. Poor Amen just wanted to have someone say they wanted him to stay. I did like him getting Dan to know that Charlotte was in the good place. I wonder if Dan will find out Amen's an Angel. 

Did not see Chloe working with a priest to send Luci back to hell. I knew she wasn't okay with everything, but didn't see that. Even though I should've caught on when she was trying to keep Maze away from Trixie. This has made her character a tad bit more interesting, which isn't saying much when watching paint dry was more interesting than her. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

Having not seen the next episode yet, I am truly curious as to how Chloe got in touch with some kind of anti devil crusade within the Catholic church and started working for them. Is there a tip line you can call if you happen to bump into Satan? 1-800-ISAWTHEDEVIL? Did she just wander into church and say "so I've been chilling with Satan..."? Is there a website? Are there crybermonks that monitor all google searches for "what to do if my friend I kind of have a thing for might be the actual devil"? Strike teams of exorcists that have been waiting for their moment to bring Lucifer down? Because I dont remember any of that from Catholic school!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • LOL 8

One of my favorite shows is back with a fresh new start! What a relief it is to see this show firing on all cylinders once again!

There were obvious improvements, such as Linda hanging a lampshade on Luci's tendency to take whatever part of her advice he could apply to his own situational benefit and then running off with it and applying it in all kinds of incorrect ways. In previous episodes this has just manifested as Luci acting like an idiot until somebody loses their cool with him. But in this episode he's not dumb, he's just needy. The other characters lost some annoying or pathetic traits as well.

I don't know the lore from the comics but there seemed to be some expansions and clarifications here. Amenadiel can enter and exit Heaven as he pleases whereas it seemed to be a one-way trip before. We actually get to hear a demon language and it sounded appropriately demonic! Luci's mojo doesn't work unless he maintains eye contact with the victim and Amenadiel seems to have his own mojo where he can convince a human of something they can't verify. Also, God is Catholic which I don't think this show established previously.

On to episode two!

• Love 3

I wasn't sure when the show was coming back, but I luckily caught that it was dropping on the 8th on my feeds.  Whew!

I'll remain cautious for a bit, but right now, it feels like TPTB realized their missteps last season, and are taking good steps in the right direction.  Characters are back to acting like they're suppose to, but are also being effected by the changes.  Storylines are fun and entertaining, but going in unexpected directions.  And all of the great character moments.  Again, the show's cast has always been the strong point, and I'm hoping they'll all get their due here.

Case of the week was fun, but going by the normal "the recognizable name/face did it" rule, I knew it was either going to be Graham McTavish or Sasha Roiz once I saw their names in the credits, and once I realized McTavish wasn't going to show up any time soon, I knew it was going to be Roiz's character.

Why, yes, I probably got way too giddy over the Maze/Trixie reunion.  I just love the friendship between that knife-happy demon and one of the best child characters on television!  Now, don't screw it up again, Maze!

Amenadiel eventually accepting that L.A. is his new home was a bit obvious, but still a nice moment.  And he was there for poor Dan!  Aww, Dan!

Linda is still is awesome.  Hell, even Ella seem to be back in better form this go around.

I'm glad that Chloe didn't talk herself into thinking she just hallucinated everything and truly believes that Lucifer is the Devil.  But she is now working against him with the priest played by Graham McTavish?  Not good.  And I certainly don't trust him.

Curious to see where this all goes.  I do think having the entire season out now will help, because it will benefit more being viewed like this instead of the crazy schedule it had on FOX.  And hopefully ten episodes will cut back on most of the filler.  Either way, I'm optimistic for now, and that's a good thing.

• Love 7

I'm so happy this show is back and that they've done such a good job with it. I'm also happy to have individual episode threads since I watch with Mr. AngelKitty and he is not a binge watcher. I'll be lucky to get him to watch one a day.

I'm not ashamed to say that I was completely surprised by the end. When Cloe walked into that church it never occurred to me she would be conspiring against Lucifer. Wonderful!

• Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

I'm so happy this show is back and that they've done such a good job with it. I'm also happy to have individual episode threads since I watch with Mr. AngelKitty and he is not a binge watcher. I'll be lucky to get him to watch one a day.

I'm w/ Mr. AngelKitty. I did watch the first two episodes last night, but it will take a little time before I can watch the final eight.

Echoing what most have said - the characters are recognizable again. Especially Maze and Ella. Glad to see Amenidude back.

Dr. Linda is into martial arts for self-defense. She did get a good shot in at Maze. Speaking of Maze, the best reunion was Maze and Trixie. So glad those two are all good and ready to raise hell together. Possibly quite literally.

As someone mentioned upthread, it was good to see Lucifer being needy, but not acting like a clown. And having his full mojo. Being on Netflix now, it seems that Tom Ellis is really going to be allowed to bring out the truly best/worst in Lucifer w/o being constrained by the Foxies.

I was quite surprised when Chloe was in the church and the priest actually knew about Lucifer. Will have to see where that storyline goes.

Edited by Loandbehold
To remove a comment that might be more appropriate for the second episode.
  • Love 6
23 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

People are acting like normal people, not bobbleheads come to life, which is wonderful to see. Ella is cute and not annoying, Maze is awesome and not pathetic, Lucifer can be threatening and not clownish, its great. 

Nicely said.

• Love 3

Very enjoyable first episode, right from the open with Lucifer's month of nights rendition of "Creep." It was great to get a musical number from Tom Ellis right at the beginning.

The characters are SO much better written than in the disaster that was Season 3.

I'm glad Maze's apology to Trixie was so quickly and willingly accepted. 

Loved the twist at the end! Chloe's arc may actually be interesting this season!

Thanks to the Mods for individual episode threads, so those of us who would prefer not to binge won't be spoiled!

• Love 8
(edited)

Per Lesley-Ann Brandt's Twitter, in case anyone was wondering, in her scene with Dr. Linda, the "Lilim" Maze was speaking was actually Afrikaans.

Edited by ProudMary
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6

Just watched the first episode and this feel like the show I loved in Seasons 1 & 2.  Most of the stupid crap from last year seems to be gone and the Celestials seem to be front and center again.

Everyone acting like real people, especially Ella.  My crush on Aimee Garcia aside, she was way over the top last year and seems like the Ella we first met.  These were the interactions I missed: Dan and Amenadiel, Maze and Trixie, Maze and Linda.

Curious where they're going with Chloe and Father Graham McTavish (Father Dwalin?) But it gives her a little more depth.

I kind of guessed Sasha Roiz was the villain, because, well, it was Sasha Roiz (who I'm sure is a perfectly nice person)

Enjoyed the episode, except the ending. I don't recall any indication that Chloe was a person of strong faith, let alone Catholic so that rang hollow for me. Loved seeing Graham McTavish, sad there was no Scots accent.

• Love 1

The "Creep" song version at the beginning was so good, I love the original but Tom Ellis' cover here was perfect, I wish there was a soundtrack available on Spotify or some such.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, lorbeer said:

Something weird happened to Chloe's face.

I was thinking it was just less makeup. Maybe they are filming with higher resolution cameras. If Chloe wore something sexier, people wouldn't have to spend so much time looking at her face.

On 5/8/2019 at 5:01 AM, Helena Dax said:

Also, her new face was a bit distracting.

9 hours ago, lorbeer said:

Something weird happened to Chloe's face.

I think she got a ton of botox, because her face did not move. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I was thinking it was just less makeup. Maybe they are filming with higher resolution cameras. If Chloe wore something sexier, people wouldn't have to spend so much time looking at her face.

1 hour ago, GaT said:

I think she got a ton of botox, because her face did not move. 

I think it was her lips. I didn't compare it with previous seasons/photos so I might be wrong but I think she got her lips enlarged (is that a proper way to say it in eng?) with botox.

11 minutes ago, lorbeer said:

I think it was her lips. I didn't compare it with previous seasons/photos so I might be wrong but I think she got her lips enlarged (is that a proper way to say it in eng?) with botox.

That is the proper way to say it.  I'm not saying I agree with the opinion about having work done, but her face does have an overall smoother complexion.  That could be makeup, or whatever.  One question that seems to crop up every year, "What has Lauren German done with her face?".  Season 2 had the dark circles under her eyes, and there was chatter about looking like she's strung out.  Whatever. This show has never skimped on beautiful women.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Whoohoo! My old show is back! Many positive developments, as you've noted above. They cleared up so much garbage from last season, returning the characters to people I enjoy watching. Didn't mind that the crime of the week was a little predictable, because we moved so much stupid out of the way for a great season. Linda, Maze, and Ella were all high notes for me. And Trixie!! 

Having Chloe undertaking some action against Luci (presumably in league with the church based on what the priest said) is a cool way to move her from total disbelief to total comprehension, with a side of "wtaf, the Devil is real and maybe not entirely a good thing for people," and I'm glad it gives Lauren German something interesting to do. It's an active response that seems totally in character for Chloe, and potentially sets up some amazing tension with Luci. Well done, show. I'm one of those who does not need them to be in a relationship, so I really like this approach, and I'm interested to see how it plays out.

I was going to watch just one, but that turned into four, so I won't comment on much more for fear of accidentally spoiling.  Thanks to the Mods for multiple episode threads!

17 minutes ago, mmccpp said:

So they were in Rome long enough that Trixie got seriously into gelato, and Chloe was recruited by a Jesuit hit squad?

I mean, in fairness, it pretty much takes one, if it's a good one and your first, to get seriously into gelato.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
On 5/8/2019 at 12:32 PM, Miles said:

Fellt like the writers saying "we're so so sorry" over and over again. Everything the fans hated, they reversed this episode. Maze's general character assasination last season, Maze not apologising to Trixie and that just being glossed over, the cat fight over Amenadiel, etc.

I appreciated that so, so much. I was doubtful from the beginning when it looked like Maze was only going to be playing second fiddle to Lucifer's Chloe-angst, without acknowledging that she too was afraid of having another friend look at her the way Linda did at first (and Lucifer snapping that it would hardly help matters to have a demon track Chloe down was particularly jerky in that light), but it quickly became apparent that the show was going to go there after all.

The apologies to Dr. Linda last season and Trixie tonight were perfect, but I also had something in my eye when Maze cuffed herself to the chair before Chloe got home. (Although I was skeptical of the efficacy of said measure...and said skepticism was quickly borne out. Hee.)

Aside from the demon issue, I would have liked to see her apologize to Chloe too, for manipulating her during the Cain mess, but at this point, how much of that does Chloe even know about?

(And this was really the only aspect of Chloe's reaction I didn't like - in addition to the bare fact that Lucifer is actually the devil, there's so much she doesn't know about the events of the rest of the series in light of that, and I would have liked to see some curiosity from her.)

• Love 2

I loved this episode. Ironically, I feel like I got my old show back now that it has a new home.

No one has mentioned this yet so I have to ask... Was anyone else bothered by Lucifer licking his fingers sticking them back in the jar of honey? That’s so unsanitary and messy. 

I have never seen avocado honey before, but now I want to try it. An article I read about it says it tastes like molasses. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Got a chance to watch this premiere episode tonight. WOW. Agree with all the comments above, and I too am glad that they seem to have tightened up the show. Looking forward to seeing more!!

I thought maybe Chloe would say she's okay, but slowly descend into insanity. Instead, she's being duplicitous... oh boy. Lucifer is NOT going to take that well. She's supposed to be the one he trusts most. This could be interesting (and really painful) to watch -- I'm already sympathizing with the devil. 😉

P.S. I loved "Creep," especially as Lucifer kept singing it and we saw him changing, getting more and more disheveled and clearly upset. Nice touch.

P.S. again. The scene between Dan and Amenadiel made me tear up. That was really well played. 

Okay, more more... yay for Trixie forgiving Maze. (And I wonder how long it will take Maze to convince Lucifer that Chloe is NOT okay with the two of them, because you know Maze realizes it, given that Chloe lied to her about Trixie still being mad.)

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 2

Nothing much to add, but since I didn't see it mentioned I need to say it: dat ass!!!

I know it was a cheap ploy for them to say "Hey! We're on Netflix and can do what we want" but thank you for the booty shot of Tom Ellis.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

It was nice to see Chloe experience some emotions other than exasperation or puzzlement—I thought Lauren German did a really good job in that final scene in the church. (Really, everyone did a good job except maybe Jeremiah Birkett, whose performance was a bit goofy.)

It feels as if someone took a squeegie and wiped away all the crap the show was splattered with last season. I think I may owe the showrunners and writers an apology if it turns out all that stuff was network-mandated.

• Love 1
On 5/8/2019 at 11:38 AM, CheshireCat said:

Makes one wonder how much FOX meddled in the show and how much was the showrunner's choice last season.

I can't imagine FOX meddling in shows!

It wasn't clear to me whether Chloe was intending to send Lucifer back to hell or kill him when she was at the church. Also, good casting on the priest. I'm sure that will back fire spectacularly. 

Lol Amer - don't fight over me! We weren't. Oh, can I do something, because I don't want to go home? 

I was surprised at the end that Lucifer was in such close proximity to Chloe but was still able to hold on to the truck. 

32 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I was surprised at the end that Lucifer was in such close proximity to Chloe but was still able to hold on to the truck. 

He's just mortal in the sense of being vulnerable to injury or death when she's around; he's never gotten weaker or lost his wings from being near her. (His Season 3 inability to show his devil face was there regardless of whether or not she was around, and was probably all in his head, anyway.)

• Love 1

Why is Dan so mad at Lucifer? Maybe I was thrown off by the two random episodes at the end of last season but I don't remember them having a falling out in the episode where Chloe sees Lucifer's devil face. (I've been bingeing the whole series).

10 minutes ago, SnarkyBear said:

Why is Dan so mad at Lucifer? Maybe I was thrown off by the two random episodes at the end of last season but I don't remember them having a falling out in the episode where Chloe sees Lucifer's devil face. (I've been bingeing the whole series).

Dan flipped out at Lucifer in that prior episode (“A Devil of my Word”) when Lucifer disclosed that he knew Pierce was the Sinnerman well before Dan even came to them with that information (Dan then lunged at Lucifer, which Lucifer turned into a hug, as people at the precinct were watching).  Here, I think Dan is just displacing his rage that Charlotte is dead completely onto Lucifer because he is so grief-stricken and the only other person to blame (Pierce) is dead (a microcosm of what happens in this universe that people blame the devil for evil when it is within man himself).  It’s not rational, but is just lashing out at the one person with whom he had had a highly prickly relationship to begin with.

I enjoyed Lucifer’s concerned focus on Chloe when she first turns up at the crime scene.  He’s missed her so much, but knows that things are not right, and Tom Ellis really sells how off-balance the interactions with Chloe seem.

Linda was poking at the idea in this episode that Lucifer had killed a human for the first time when he killed Pierce, and had maybe even enjoyed doing it, but he wasn’t correspondingly dealing with the emotional fallout from that.  Maybe there is something to the idea that he enjoyed it, but at least from one perspective, he killed Pierce in self-defense:  it was a battle to the death where it was “kill or be killed” (especially with Pierce having an insidious network to threaten all the people in Lucifer’s circle for as long as Pierce was alive). But I kind of felt that they missed the exploration of this being perhaps Lucifer’s most express rejection of Dad’s will in the series (excluding the rebellion):  Cain had been sentenced to roam the Earth forever, and Lucifer helped reverse that.

This is actually my least favorite episode of S4.  Chloe’s reactions and actions in this episode are objectively understandable, but after three seasons of her saying that she knows who he really is, it is painful to see (and not really that enjoyable for me from a dramatic perspective) that she is actively betraying him here (versus Linda’s reaction of just distancing from Lucifer and Maze for a week or so).

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

Dan flipped out at Lucifer in that prior episode (“A Devil of my Word”) when Lucifer disclosed that he knew Pierce was the Sinnerman well before Dan even came to them with that information (Dan then lunged at Lucifer, which Lucifer turned into a hug, as people at the precinct were watching).  Here, I think Dan is just displacing his rage that Charlotte is dead completely onto Lucifer because he is so grief-stricken and the only other person to blame (Pierce) is dead (a microcosm of what happens in this universe that people blame the devil for evil when it is within man himself).

I got the same impression. I thought Lucifer said he knew Pierce was somehow involved with the sinnerman right from the go though. I'm fine with the narrative direction - you'd think someone would be fed up with him by now. 

• Love 1

I'm very pleased with the direction also. Like some characters were reset - Maze especially. I enjoyed the 2 extra episodes (don't see threads?) more than many of S3. Loving Lucifer openly using his powers.

I get that someone had to be angry with Lucifer, so it made sense to be Dan... I did like their partnership in past episodes so hope it can be redeemed. Dan rolling to the dark side being a bad cop... makes for good fight scenes but worries me.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, andipandi said:

I'm very pleased with the direction also. Like some characters were reset - Maze especially. I enjoyed the 2 extra episodes (don't see threads?) more than many of S3. Loving Lucifer openly using his powers.

I get that someone had to be angry with Lucifer, so it made sense to be Dan... I did like their partnership in past episodes so hope it can be redeemed. Dan rolling to the dark side being a bad cop... makes for good fight scenes but worries me.

There's one, joint thread for the two bonus episodes:

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/70548-s03e25-boo-normal-once-upon-a-time/

• Love 1

Thank heaven this show got saved by Netflix. It would have been infuriating to have ended the series where season three left off.

I liked seeing Lucifer get cuf off from saying WTF just as the opening credits rolled. Nice wink about being on Netflix now.

I figured Chloe was not as fine with Lucifier as she kept saying she was. It wouldn't really have made sense for her to be "oh I've been working with the actual devil, that's cool". Having Chloe out of the know for so long was frustrating, but it's good that we can now see how she reacted to that revelation. The last scene would seem to suggest she's in favour of operating against Lucifer, but I think you can already see how conflicted she is about him.

• Love 1

I've never liked the song that Lucifer played in the beginning--until now.  That was gorgeously sung, and haunting with the audience and suit changes, set against that lighting making it look slightly disturbing.  Then, in true Lucifer fashion, it ends in his making a joke.  Loved it!

• Love 1