Type keyword(s) to search

S31.E02: Knock the Newbie Out of Us

• Start Topic

I'm sure Rupert and his wife are lovely people but cannot say I'm sad to see them go. I couldn't do a season of Rupert's crazy, too intense eyes over every damn thing. Like has no one told him how he comes across when doing that? 

So anyone else think the "judges" allowed those teams to half-ass the alphabet? Because if it is as challenging as they made it appear to get the pronunciation, no way these teams all got it that quickly. I don't buy that. 

And once again, Tyler and Korey manage to jump ahead of a few teams and I have no idea how that happened but I'm glad because I adore them.

I get that winning individual legs of the race come with incentives but I think a team like Leo and Jamal are just the type to burn out and just burn bridges for no reason, that will screw them in the end. 

Was being first again, when they were clearly the first two teams, so in no danger of being eliminated, so important that it was worth pulling that whole lie? Granted, girlfriend was an idiot for believing them, especially as her boyfriend kept telling her to keep moving, but still. 

Enjoying the season so far. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 24

Is Laos a new country for them?  I really dug those instruments they were playing in the forest.  Anyone have any idea what they are?

Who are these Colin and Christie?  They really are being all Zen and mellow!  But, if they don't stop collaborating with Rachel and her sister, they will be dead to me. 

Gotta love that the U-turned teams survived the challenge, even though it seemed like Becca might be done in by her elephant.  On the other hand, yay, elephants!  It looked like the elephant masters were encouraging the elephants to play in the water.

Bye, Rupert!  I knew they wouldn't last much longer.  They should have been out last week.

• Love 12

I was worried for Becca and Floyd when they fell behind. I hope they place higher next episode.

I'm ambivalent towards Rupert, and have no problem with Laura. However, it has to suck to end up out of the race because your elephant decided to take a lunch break. 

Is this the 1st time the race went to Laos? I enjoyed it and the challenges this time. 

I'm ready for Rachel and Elissa's exit.

Edited by InDueTime
  • Love 13

Yay! Bye Rupert! Even though watching him try to reason with an elephant was hilarious. I forgot how he says everything with such gravitas. Won’t miss him.

I know I’m in the minority but I’ve always had a soft spot for Rachel. Despite her tendency to be a drama queen, she just seems kind of sweet. I’m here for the Reilly sisters!

Not that I’m excusing his behavior, but I got such a kick out of seeing the flashbacks of Intense Colin. We all remember the classics like the broken ox and “I’m packing it!” but I’d forgotten about golden oldies like arguing with the cab driver and throwing the money. 

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 18

Reilly sisters must go.

Colin has elf ears.

Afghanimals have always annoyed me.

Always whining Corinne.

Rupert Ugh

Seems awfully early for a double U Turn.  It establishes a pecking order for drama?  Both teams survive and won't forget.

Laos seems to be doing well after Nixon relentlessly bombed them for a few years.

Asian language learning.  Yikes!

Elephant riding was amazing.

Rupert, except for your fantastic wife, you are a loser.  

Who are Chris and Bret?  My old brain can't remember.

I despise Victor and Nicole for Big Brother reasons.

• Love 4

The elephant ride was the best challenge ever! Now I want to go to Laos and ride elephants. 

I thought the alphabet challenge would be the more difficult one, but the meat challenge took up way more time. So many details to remember!

Re the Afghanimal and his cat Pablo - now if Big Brother Paul had been on the show, would he have been playing for his duck floatie Pablo? (And I'm very glad Paul is not on TAR, his talking heads would be nauseating.)

Were they in Vientiane for the Detour? I missed hearing what the city name was. 

I'm happy to see Rupert and Laura go. Right now I'm cheering for Nicole and Victor, and Becca and Floyd. Impressive that both U-turned teams made it to the mat in time.

• Love 6

'I consider myself one of the strongest Survivors. Amazing Race kicked my ass.' You're damn right!

Oddly, I didn't mind Rupert. I haven't watched Survivor in years so I also haven't seen his endless appearances there to get tired of them. 

I still don't like that the u-turn is before the detour, as I feel like that power should be earned by completing your own, but I suppose complaining about that won't change anything.

Good on Tyler and Korey and Becca and Floyd for powering through that uturn. I enjoyed the episode. 

• Love 15

Ugg, Rachel. That didn't take long to remind me how annoying you are. And you nearly eliminated Becca and Floyd over some petty reasons.

Rupert and his wife Laura seem like a nice couple but honestly they were in over their head it was a mercy that they were eliminated now.

Low Key Colin. I don't know how to react to that. But at least he's not melting down and being a total ass.

• Love 16
6 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Who are Chris and Bret?  My old brain can't remember.

They were on Survivor Gen-X vs. Millenials.  Chris is a lawyer from Oklahoma and Bret is a cop from Boston.  

The Amazing Yellow Line turned orange and got...husky.

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

Yay! Bye Rupert! Even though watching him try to reason with an elephant was hilarious. I forgot how he says everything with such gravitas. Won’t miss him.

I know I’m in the minority’s but I’ve always had a soft spot for Rachel. Despite her tendency to be a drama queen, she just seems kind of sweet. I’m here for the Reilly sisters!

Not that I’m excusing his behavior, but I got such a kick out of seeing the flashbacks of Intense Colin. We all remember the classics like the broken ox and “I’m packing it!” but I’d forgotten about golden oldies like arguing with the cab driver and throwing the money. 

Rupert wasn't going to last much longer, and I'm glad he didn't end up taking a team out that will likely do better than him.

I can't get over Colin's hair from all those years ago.  I'll never forget Colin saying in the premiere episode of S5 how he was going to be the most intense person ever to run the race.  He definitely lived up to that comment!  My favorite about taxi cab gate was the other teams saying they were disappointed in him for not winning the argument.  I'm with those who don't know what to make of the mellow Colin that's gracing our screens.  I'm glad he's got a sense of humor about his past.

I'm getting a charge out of the BB and Survivor teams finding this race so difficult.  Always love seeing new countries, and Laos was a nice addition.

I don't like Leo/Jaamal, and don't get their point of lying to Nicole, or disliking the Survivor teams.  Was that only because Corinne/Eliza wouldn't let their tuk tuk pass on the road?

U-turning people this early was stupid.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 7

All right. Bad news: teams are still jammed together. Good news: Rupert & Mrs. Rupert Laura are out. Nice that Rupert didn't have an explosion like in his first two stints on Survivor. Just him begging a hungry elephant to move. I'm not joyous, nor do I feel pity. Rupert peaked in 2003. On the bright side, he still has a lot of good moments . . . up to and including fooling Russell Hantz with a rock, making hi think it was a hidden idol. Oh, PS for the producers if they're reading this: DO NOT CAST ANYONE FROM THE HANTZ FAMILY ON YOUR SHOW. Please.

Nice Detour options . ..  prep meals or learn to speak Lao (Laotian?), with schoolchildren laughing at you when you mess up. Even with the ick factor of raw food, that seemed to be a safer choice. Roadblock was awesome for the patient. Animals work so well on this show, and who doesn't love elephants?

Once again, U-Turns suck. Too early in the game, and being able to pull that on someone after it's been done to you still bugs me. And the teams effected are from TAR and relatively nice in Tyler/Korey and Funstoppable.

Corrine saying that her Fun-O-Meter would be at zero if she had one. Wow. The hell she says. No friggin' way, you guys. 🙄

I'm guessing TAR is going to keep playing Colin & Christie's "hits" from TAR5. There's a big part of me that hopes they have truly grown since then. But there's a smaller part that wants Colin to rage so hard, blood spurting out of his eyes, screaming "SERENITY NOW!!!! SERENITY NOW!!!!" until he passes out.

Also: "HOOTCHIE MAMA!!!!!"

ETA: Who had the title quote?

Edited by Lantern7
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8

Nicole doesn't even seem to like Hayden, their dynamic is so strange to me

Peace out, Rupert 'strongest survivor ever' 

Funny, young me had such a crush on Colin despite his anger issues. Now old me sees all the red flags but also does not care for the zen version. But hey, it works for the two of them and they do seem sweet together. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, mojoween said:

They were on Survivor Gen-X vs. Millenials.  Chris is a lawyer from Oklahoma and Bret is a cop from Boston.  

The Amazing Yellow Line turned orange and got...husky.

Thanks, I now have a vague recollection.  After so many seasons, they all kind of blur together.

12 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

ETA: Who had the title quote?

Rupert, right before the title sequence. 

Another good leg, though why are they going to places like Tokyo and Laos at the beginning of the race?  The way they’re going, they’ll be in London when KF hits. And I will be sorely disappointed. 

• Love 1

So last week, they showed Colin's My Ox is Broken bit, this week the taxi cab airport incident. I'd love if they keep it going, as there's so much potential. I'm packin it! Any of the conversations with Mirna! (Can you not see me talking to this person right now?) Definitely enjoying these 2 back after so long.

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

Okay, so you have a double U-Turn, you have several teams who are like "what is a race?" (due to inexperience or lack of competitive edge) and you choose to U-Turn ... two experienced Amazing Race teams? Not the bumbling Survivors or the inconsistent Big Brother teams, who probably would've crumbled had they had to do two Detours, let alone one? Seems like a massive miscalculation to me.

It seemed like a good strategy.  The BB/Survivors may be weaker links anyway, so you might as well take a shot at getting a bigger threat like Team Fun or Tyler/Korey out early.  It almost worked, too, Team Fun finished second-last.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14

It seems like a lot of people here hate Rupert and Laura. I know nothing about them (I've watched maybe one season of Survivor, where Yul the puppet master won), but honestly, they seem like a really nice, supportive couple. Even when they were behind they never got frustrated at each other, they didn't say anything ignorant about the locals (Pet Peeve #1; low bar, but it's one of my biggest pet peeves because racers do it all the freakin' time), and they just genuinely seemed really sweet together.

I'm honestly sad that they've been eliminated over some over people that make me roll my eyes, like Rachel/Elissa (Pet Peeve #2: Teams who get all up in arms when other teams don't want to work with them... IT'S A COMPETITION), Corinne/Eliza, and Leo/Jamal. I kinda liked the latter in the first episode and admired their arguing strategy, but both of them were so obnoxious and cringe-worthy in this episode that I'm just rooting for them to crash and burn.

My two favorite teams, up until the beginning of this episode, are Becca/Floyd and Tyler/Korey, so I was so annoyed that they were the two teams who were U-turned. Ugh, what are the odds? Luckily, the reason they were such a threat to begin with was the reason they got by. They are really strong teams that work well together and stay focused on the task at hand. I also really like Nicole/Victor now. They're so cute, and I love how starry-eyed Victor got because he knew how excited Nicole was about being on the elephant.

Laos looks like such a beautiful place. I'd love to take a boat ride on the Mekong River or visit that marketplace. I'm thrilled that The Amazing Race is back so I can travel vicariously through it!

• Love 17
4 minutes ago, burntheflaws said:

It seems like a lot of people here hate Rupert and Laura. I know nothing about them (I've watched maybe one season of Survivor, where Yul the puppet master won), but honestly, they seem like a really nice, supportive couple. Even when they were behind they never got frustrated at each other, they didn't say anything ignorant about the locals (Pet Peeve #1; low bar, but it's one of my biggest pet peeves because racers do it all the freakin' time), and they just genuinely seemed really sweet together.

49 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Laos seems to be doing well after Nixon relentlessly bombed them for a few years.

I agree with everything you said about Rupert and Laura including the reason (have only watched a couple of Survivor seasons) and I was actually going to say almost the exact same thing about Tyler and Korey. I don't watch whatever thing they are known for and so I see them as just another team and the reason I like them are the same reasons you had for Rupert and Laura. They get along with each other, I can't remember any big fights or tearing each other down, I don't remember them acting like asses to the locals, they finish their tasks competently with no whining. What's not to like?

Second quote: Wasn't that like 60 years ago? Why would you think they wouldn't be 'doing well'?

• Love 4

Given the Survivors they could have cast, can't help but wonder why they chose Rupert and Laura. They seem like a perfectly nice couple, but I would never pick them to compete on the "Amazing Race".

I don't care for "zen" Colin; "intense" Colin is a lot more interesting and fun. 

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Also, lady half of Team Fun whose name I cannot remember right now, do not bark at your elephant.

Jamal noted that they were told to give the commands loudly, which makes sense, so Becca may have just been trying to follow directions.  Most of the time I thought she was speaking too softly, which is why the elephant wasn't really moving. 

I loved (not) how Christie was giving other players instructions on how to handle the elephants.  Oh, that's right, she's a zen master life coach, so she knows all.  (Like others, I would enjoy seeing zen Colin totally melt down and revert to the old Colin.)

I thought it was odd that Becca/Floyd and Tyler/Corey were U turned because they were "strong teams", but no one thought to U turn Colin & Christie.  Based on legs won & final placement, I think C&C are one of the biggest threats.  I also would have U turned the other all male team, since those tend to do well on physical challenges. 

I'm not sad that Rupert & Laura are gone.  I get tired of his schtick really fast.  But yeah, I would have been cheering if it were Rachel & her sister.  Never saw BB, but can't stand Rachel from her previous TAR appearances.  And, I hate to be catty, but what did sis do to her lips???  And how does anyone think that is a good look? 

My hope - that Becca/Floyd, Tyler/Corey, Leo/Jamal and Colin/Christie all make a secret pact to not screw another TAR team, and to do what they can to get BB and Survivor teams eliminated. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Eolivet said:

Okay, so you have a double U-Turn, you have several teams who are like "what is a race?" (due to inexperience or lack of competitive edge) and you choose to U-Turn ... two experienced Amazing Race teams? Not the bumbling Survivors or the inconsistent Big Brother teams, who probably would've crumbled had they had to do two Detours, let alone one? Seems like a massive miscalculation to me.

Two pretty strong Amazing Race teams too.  

50 minutes ago, OutOfTheQuestion said:

It seemed like a good strategy.  The BB/Survivors may be weaker links anyway, so you might as well take a shot at getting a bigger threat like Team Fun or Tyler/Korey out early.  It almost worked, too, Team Fun finished second-last.

With so many teams, weak teams back in the race, it's mostly a gamble.  Don't strong teams survive U-turns more often than they don't? I always think a better use of a U-Turn is to secure your team's finish in the race by making sure the weakest don't survive. 

• Love 11
44 minutes ago, TheRabbi said:

So last week, they showed Colin's My Ox is Broken bit, this week the taxi cab airport incident. I'd love if they keep it going, as there's so much potential. I'm packin it! Any of the conversations with Mirna! (Can you not see me talking to this person right now?) Definitely enjoying these 2 back after so long.

My fingers are crossed for the clip of Mirna calling them criminals, even though there's probably no actual reason to show it.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, Alice Mudgarden said:

My fingers are crossed for the clip of Mirna calling them criminals, even though there's probably no actual reason to show it.

I think the fact that we would all really enjoy it is enough of a reason.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
11 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

Two pretty strong Amazing Race teams too.  

With so many teams, weak teams back in the race, it's mostly a gamble.  Don't strong teams survive U-turns more often than they don't? I always think a better use of a U-Turns is to secure your team's finish in the race by making sure the weakest don't survive. 

That's a fair counter-argument.  Using your U-turn so early in the Race also seems like a risk (are the teams still limited to only getting one?)

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, chaifan said:

I thought it was odd that Becca/Floyd and Tyler/Corey were U turned because they were "strong teams", but no one thought to U turn Colin & Christie.  Based on legs won & final placement, I think C&C are one of the biggest threats.  I also would have U turned the other all male team, since those tend to do well on physical challenges. 

It seemed to me that Rachel's primary reason for u turning Becca and Floyd was retaliation for not working with her, and calling them a strong team was to pretend it was tactical.

• Love 19

What an amazing night.  First, _________ gets voted out on Survivor.  Then, Stupert gets Philiminated.  My least favourite remaining contestants on Survivor and TAR.  2 for 2 tonight!

Edited by blackwing
  • LOL 6
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, irisheyes said:

Rupert, right before the title sequence. 

Another good leg, though why are they going to places like Tokyo and Laos at the beginning of the race?  The way they’re going, they’ll be in London when KF hits. And I will be sorely disappointed. 

Maybe the London Roadblock would be to fix Brexit.

I'm really going to enjoy this season if they keep taking out teams in the order I want them to take them out.

I believe it's still only one U-Turn per team but I'm not sure. If you're first in line at the U-Turn, there's no need to U-Turn anyone unless there's someone you want to target. Otherwise, why get your hands dirty? Someone will probably use the U-Turn.

Colin was the original U-Turn recipient, right? (Actually, the predecessor of the U-Turn, the Yield, which was just a time penalty. But the first competitor bestowed penalty.) I think the other teams either don't know him or don't know what to make of older him. He'd be one of my top threats if I were a competitor.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, burntheflaws said:

I totally agree.  I have never ever gotten the Rupert hate and never will.  He just isn't built to race around the world on TAR.  Way too intense of an undertaking.  But I'm glad he got to ride an elephant before his elimination.

So many Colin clips I still want to see.  Remember the time they had to find Rembrandt's painting of "The Prodigal Son" and Colin mixed up said character with the parable teller of same and ran around The Hermitage like a madman pointing at every single painting of Jesus he could find.

And yeah like the person above, I'd love to see Mirna calling him a disgusting criminal again.  In fact a whole montage of Colin vs Mirna clips need to be shown.

Also Colin Stares Death Rays At The Hour Glass after Chip yielded him.

Edited by green
  • LOL 2
  • Love 14

If that elephant dumped Elissa on the river she would sink because she has two floatation devices. One on her face and one on her chest.  Rachel is so phony in so many ways.

If it came down to a foot race, Nicole and Victor wouldn’t have won.  Nicole is built for endurance not speed.  

I believe the last elephant detour was in Thailand where they had measure the elephant to come up with height and weight. Both Thailand and Laos love their elephants.  

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Waldo13 said:

I believe the last elephant detour was in Thailand where they had measure the elephant to come up with height and weight. Both Thailand and Laos love their elephants.  

Elephants on TAR never gets old.  They rode them in TAR1, washed them in TAR2 and pushed wooden ones through the streets in TAR7.  I still remember Gretchen misreading the clue and instead of helping to push she rode on top of her giant wooden elephant as her husband almost had a heart attack pushing them both.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 7

Laos looks beautiful. I appreciate the alms giving and I'm guessing that TAR paid to rent the elephants all day so  supported their rescue. Glad to see the show spreading some good in the world.  ( before letting screaming racers loose, ya know the good, the bad, it evens out hopefully)

I've never watch Rupert's seasons but he's just a bit much isn't he? Glad they get to go relax at sequesterville and have a good time

together. ( and not be on my show!)

• Love 10
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

So Colin is totally going to snap and murder someone before the race is concluded, yes?

Absolutely. I think whenever the camera isn't on him, he's standing around breathing deep & ommmm-ing in an effort to not go berserker. He will fail.

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Who are these Colin and Christie?  They really are being all Zen and mellow!  But, if they don't stop collaborating with Rachel and her sister, they will be dead to me. 

Season 5

3 hours ago, redfish said:

Rupert and his wife Laura seem like a nice couple but honestly they were in over their head it was a mercy that they were eliminated now.

I expected him to be eliminated early from the beginning. 

• Love 5

Guys. I don't know if I can hang in with this. Between the constant shrieks of "WOO! WOOOOOOO!" and "Go go go!" I spent the whole episode lunging for the mute button. (And why is "thank you"  pronounced "thenk yo" these days?) I don't like any of the teams much, though Becca and Floyd and Victor and Nicole are inoffensive. Corinne is just a lovely as she ever was, I see. So much so that her presence is actively interfering with my enjoyment. Honey. You are not hilariously snarky. You are sour and petty and mean. 

Cute elephants. Nice scenery. That's all I got.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, GaT said:

Absolutely. I think whenever the camera isn't on him, he's standing around breathing deep & ommmm-ing in an effort to not go berserker. He will fail.

Season 5

I expected him to be eliminated early from the beginning. 

I know who Season 5 Colin and Christie are.  Hard to believe these are the same people.  My Colin and Christie are broken!  LOL

• LOL 10
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, blackwing said:

What an amazing night.  First, the ********* gets voted out on Survivor.  Then, Stupert gets Philiminated.  My least favourite remaining contestants on Survivor and TAR.  2 for 2 tonight!

Thanks for spoiling that for me!  🤨

Edited by Cindyluwho
Removed the spoiler in the quote.
  • Love 1

My apologies, the two shows air back to back and I assumed that most people watch them back to back like I do.  I am pretty sure that things are not spoilers anywhere once a show has aired, but I went back and edited. 

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 4

I've never watched BB so I don't know about these people, but Victor and his gf (whose name I can't remember, oh right, Nicole) seem nice, albeit a bit ditzy.  The two blondes who are more than a bit ditzy can leave any time though.  Along with Rachel and her sister.

Laos is beautiful and the cultural aspects we saw were lovely.  Elephants!  Who wouldn't love to ride an elephant!  (With or without saddle.)  I'm sure those elephants knew exactly what they were supposed to do and didn't need the racers yelling commands to them.

We've seen teams done in by bad taxis, but to lose because of a hungry elephant?  Sorry, Rupert and Laura.  You weren't long for this game anyway.

Good job for the U turned teams flying through both challenges.

• Love 3