Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03: The Long Night

Message added by Meredith Quill

Reminder:

All preview talk must be under spoiler tags.

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

Lyanna is dead and the useless Sansa is still around??!!!  WTF??!!   She was a badass until the end.  I still had hope she was lying on the ground just bleeding until the blue eyes! 

So this means Greyworm and/or Missandei are not making it out of the next three episodes.  Other than Jorah and Lyanna everyone else was pretty much disposable to me. 

Still don't know why everyone loves Jon Snow...he was pretty useless in this battle too.  

I cannot understand why Dani could not love Jorah!!! 

Jon is always useless and constantly gets Dany in serious trouble on the battle field. He better stay the fuck back when they attack Kings Landing.

• LOL 4
  • Love 8

I honestly don't know if I loved it or hated it. So murky, so drawn out. I had so much trouble seeing who was doing what.

I can't process who might or might not have survived this episode.

Right?! Is the Hound alive? Who made it through? I HATE that Lyanna Mormont died. But boy did she make her death count.

I did NOT suspect that Arya would deal the decisive blow.

I loved Dany's dragon mourning with her.

Won't watch it over---didn't like the murkiness (hard on my eyes!)

• Love 15

I never talk to my tv. But tonight it had me singing”Aryakilled the Night King! Arya killed the Night King!”  All the way to the fridge to grab a beer!  It’s like a party going on!  But actually I think I’ celebrating that the AoTD storyline is over! Now on to King’s Landing!  

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, dirtypop90 said:

Can someone explain to me what the  hell Dany and Jon were supposed to be doing? I guess they got the Night King off his dragon. But it was off to me that Jon’s little sister was fighting for her life, the other totally unprotected in the crypts, theon’s watching his little brother, and he was having a joy ride.

I think they were supposed to be burning the NW's with their dragon fires. But honestly, Jon came across horribly this episode. Not just as a fighter, but emotionally. I don't know if Kit Harington just isn't strong enough of an actor to portray the kind of intense emotions required for an episode like this but I thought Sir Jorah, Theon, Sansa, Tyrion, Dany, Melisandre, Davos, Arya (!!!), pretty much everyone acted this episode better. It makes me less invested in Jon's storyline arc.

• Love 14
21 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

Now I understand why the cast is bitching about that being an absolute death march of a shoot. I think I read somewhere that it took 58 nights to film that sucker.  Did Jon's dragon survive, or not?

He went MIA once he crashed, so I assume he's dead, but he could be just badly injured. I would've expected Drogon to die of the two, mainly so that Dany is now doubly fucked in that Jon has the better claim and is the only one who's got a dragon. So I guess that conflict will be pretty much solved by a) the North accepting Dany after all she did for them and b) Jon still not wanting it anyway. 

21 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

ETA: anyone else have to change TV settings twice to get a good visual? This was so freaking dark

Watched it on my monitor, but yeah, it was dark. But I didn't mind, the important stuff had good lighting and it was pretty effective that you had to guess what's coming, even when it was so close you should've seen it, so that was great for immersion. 

18 minutes ago, Traveller519 said:

I'm.... Not sure how I feel about the Night King already being dead. On one hand it was the overarching theme of why we were telling this story, hence the prelude. On the other hand, we're all fall more invested in the political drama of the seven kingdoms.

In either case. Incredible episode! We were all invested the whole way through 

The political drama was more or less over once Cersei took the Throne, it was just her vs everyone else. So I was definitely more invested in that part of the story. But I'm sure the last couple of episodes won't suffer, Breaking Bad did have to terrific episodes after Oyzmandias for instance. 

Edited by Conan Troutman
  • Love 5

It's saying something when Dany was more useful than Jon in this battle. I wonder if the Northerners are going to bend the knee now. Without her dragons and her never give up Unsullied the battle would've been over in 5 minutes. 

• Love 19

Well...that was absolutely exhausting and well done.  I feel really bad for Ser Jorah and Edd.  At least Theon died after being thanked by Bran and being told that he was a good man.  The expression on his face was all that.  I will say that I am a bit disappointed that the Night King was killed so soon and so easily.  I wonder if Bran was able to block the Nght King from seeing Arya sneak in for the final blow.  Smart girl with her design.  I was oddly pleased to see Dany effectively fight like she did.

Even though I am disappointed that the Night King died so soon, this is called a Game of Thrones for a reason and the main players are still alive.  More battles ahead.

Edited by ShannaB
spelling
  • Love 12
5 minutes ago, QuinnM said:

I did send an email to the folks that set up my home theater to say ‘nice job I apparently am the only person that can see Game of Thrones’.  The tech emailed me back to say that he uses GoT to set the specs.  So I’m very lucky.

Then your TV set must be searing your eyeballs when a regularly bright program comes on. 😀

• LOL 8
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Growsonwalls said:

I think they were supposed to be burning the NW's with their dragon fires. But honestly, Jon came across horribly this episode. Not just as a fighter, but emotionally. I don't know if Kit Harington just isn't strong enough of an actor to portray the kind of intense emotions required for an episode like this but I thought Sir Jorah, Theon, Sansa, Tyrion, Dany, Melisandre, Davos, Arya (!!!), pretty much everyone acted this episode better. It makes me less invested in Jon's storyline arc.

To be fair, he didn’t get the goodbye scenes that others got, not this ep or the previous one. I thought he looked focused and scared sh*tless this ep. They maybe should’ve added screen time with him and at least one of his siblings to bring some emotion out of him. 

But they’ve had him solely focused on the NK for so long now, maybe it makes sense that he cared about nothing else but killing him this episode. I am curious about his arc now that the NK is gone. What motivations will he have not that the NK is handled? Will he really care about this battle with Cersei? I assume so but will it only be because Dany cares about it?

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

It's saying something when Dany was more useful than Jon in this battle. I wonder if the Northerners are going to bend the knee now. Without her dragons and her never give up Unsullied the battle would've been over in 5 minutes. 

Well technically a Stark ended the war.  And Jon already bent the knee for all of them.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, Advance35 said:

OMG I just don't know what to do with myself.

Arya Stark saved the world.  It had reached the point where I couldn't stay seated and was watching standing up.

I stood the whole second  half.

Edited by PeaceLily2
Spelling
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9

I had a really hard time with this episode because I could barely see anything. It was so dark ( was it snowing at one point?) that had no idea what was going on for large parts. I was so happy when they started using fire.

I was grateful for the crypt scenes because I could actually see. Sansa and Tyrion were sweet and I enjoyed them. Arya's moment at the end totally made this episode for me, that was awesome. I also like the Hound and Beric protecting her.

I felt like they under utilized the dragons, they were getting destroyed and the felt very absent. 

Bran telling Theon he was a good man, was a good finish for Theon, I did appreciate that.  I think I'll try to re-watch.

• Love 11
14 minutes ago, QuinnM said:

The first time they had the exchange blue eyes were in the middle of the list.  This time it was the last one list, with punctuation.

And I totally SHOULD have been thinking about the Night King but while she was saying it, she was staring very wide-eyed and pointedly at Arya and I noticed her eyes were blue too and that made me just wonder "Why will Arya kill Mel?" and never even thought about the NK. So I was ALL excited when she appeared behind the NK!

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, dirtypop90 said:

To be fair, he didn’t get the goodbye scenes that others got, not this ep or the previous one. I thought he looked focused and scared sh*tless this ep. They maybe should’ve added screen time with him and at least one of his siblings to bring some emotion out of him. 

But they’ve had him solely focused on the NK for so long now, maybe it makes sense that he cared about nothing else but killing him this episode. I am curious about his arc now that the NK is gone. What motivations will he have not that the NK is handled? Will he really care about this battle with Cersei? I assume so but will it only be because Dany cares about it?

True. I think now Jon and Dany will have to have those really difficult conversations about who is the rightful heir to the iron throne. Also ... hope Dany's not pregnant.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, ferjy said:

Then your TV set must be searing your eyeballs when a regularly bright program comes on. 😀

Nope, I have to say I really have a nice set up. But it is 4K. It does do nice on everything I see from GoT to some crap sitcom.  Plus - in case the Dothraki ever come back over the rise it has a nice subwoofer.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I thought Jon was the most useless this episode. Well besides Sam and the people in the crypt who admitted they were useless. At least Dany tried killing the NW with her dragon fire. 

12 minutes ago, dirtypop90 said:

Can someone explain to me what the  hell Dany and Jon were supposed to be doing? I guess they got the Night King off his dragon. But it was off to me that Jon’s little sister was fighting for her life, the other totally unprotected in the crypts, theon’s watching his little brother, and he was having a joy ride.

Dany did pretty much what she could do, fly around and light wights up. What else could she possibly do? Jon was trying to kill the Ice Dragon and staying alive in the meantime. Oh, and in his usual Leeroy Jenkins style even tried to take on the NK. Hardly a joy ride. He also duelled him in the air, so I'm not sure what more can be expected. 

10 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

At one point he was weeping.  Is Gilly dead?

Some girl got dragged under the tables shortly before the end, but I don't know if it was Gilly. But I didn't see her make it out.

Boy, we're still counting the survivors half an hour after the episode. 

• Love 14
13 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I agree with you on Jon. Let's just be glad he's not going to set on the throne. Lord that would be bad.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

That was dark and full of terrors.  I cheered when Arya took out the Night King.  That was satisfying.  I had forgotten that conversation Arya had with Melisandre in Season 3. 

I cackled when Daenarys lit the Night King up and he just smirked at her.  If he spoke, I'm sure he would have said "Fuck yo fire bitch!"

Yo. In all this time on the show, the Night King never said a word.  Has he?

Rest in Power to all who fought valiantly and fell in the Battle at Winterfell. 

Edited by Stardancer Supreme
  • LOL 6
  • Love 16
1 minute ago, CletusMusashi said:

Please just attack King's Landing during the day. The lighting was so bad that at first I thought Arya killed the giant zombie. And every time I saw anyone with a big beard, live or dead, I thought they were Tormund.

Yes, please. Not sure I can watch another battle in the dark. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Growsonwalls said:

True. I think now Jon and Dany will have to have those really difficult conversations about who is the rightful heir to the iron throne. Also ... hope Dany's not pregnant.

Jon doesn’t want to be King, so really doesn’t matter who is the rightful heir. Some one would have to expose Jon’s parentage to the North.  That’s the only way I could see conflict between Jon and Dany.

never thought Dany would be pregnant. There’s no time. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, MichaelaRae said:

And I totally SHOULD have been thinking about the Night King but while she was saying it, she was staring very wide-eyed and pointedly at Arya and I noticed her eyes were blue too and that made me just wonder "Why will Arya kill Mel?" and never even thought about the NK. So I was ALL excited when she appeared behind the NK!

I was thinking the same thing in that moment... I was like.. How does killing Mel right now help

• Love 2

Well, no need to worry about the Dothraki raping and pillaging their way through the countryside now.  Maybe charging head first into an enemy line you can't see wasn't the best strategy. 

I just hope the inevitable battle against Cersei's forces happens during the day.  I'd have been OK with them using some giant spotlights, realism be damned, during a lot of the battle.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

Yo. In all this time on the show, the Night King never said a word.  Has he?

Nope, not even a bit of villain gloating at the end and he still got Valyrian-shanked. Kinda unfair.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, dirtypop90 said:

Jon doesn’t want to be King, so really doesn’t matter who is the rightful heir. Some one would have to expose Jon’s parentage to the North.  That’s the only way I could see conflict between Jon and Dany.

never thought Dany would be pregnant. There’s no time. 

Well, now that the Big Bad Night King Who's Coming Right NOW! has come and died somewhat anticlimatically, what's the rush? There could be a time lapse of months before the episode in the time Dany's armies and dragons are recuperating and regrouping.

Edited by screamin
  • Love 3

This feels like the part of the horror movie where we think the baddie is dead... right before the baddie rises again one last time.

We still don't know what those spiral symbols mean... and there are one million fresh bodies in King's Landing.  Jon may be the one who finishes off the Night King yet.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, QuinnM said:

Nope, I have to say I really have a nice set up. But it is 4K. It does do nice on everything I see from GoT to some crap sitcom.  Plus - in case the Dothraki ever come back over the rise it has a nice subwoofer.

Ah 4K, that must be it. Most of us still have HD at best. With a lot of shows going dark nowadays, it might be worth the investment to 4K if it is that much better. Guess that's their whole plan!  ;-D

• Love 5

As Lyanna Mormont said 1 Bear Island knight fights with the strength of 12 men. 

I am not one to disrespect the Queen. But I believe you and Jorah  each fought with the strength of 50 men. 

Both of you were such wonderful, brave characters. Thank you. 

Thank you Dothraki. You were the Vanguard and went out like the bad asses you were. Too bad you didn't' have dragon fire for cover like the Loot Train  Battle.  But Dany was too busy watching you die on the hill. 

Thank you Unsullied. You held strong and fast while all those Northeners retreated.   You showed what true bravery is. 

Edd.  Too bad your last act was trying to get Sam to fight.  You should have used him for cover. Now your watch has ended 

• LOL 2
  • Love 21

Wow, what an episode. I can't believe that was a TV show. Much more engaging and impressive than most movies. Emmys so, so needed! Just the sheer scope involved in putting all of this on screen astounds me. I was leaping from my seat, hiding under a blanket, screaming -- what a rush, I'm exhausted. And I have to go on a business trip tomorrow.

Arya, you are a badass! So glad she got to be the Queen Assassin here. Jon being the one to do it is so tropey. I was afraid she was a goner, but NK didn't squeeze her neck that hard.

Dany picked up a sword, and defended herself! Jorah died for her. Drogon hugged her as she cried -- that was so, so heart-wrenching. A perfect death for a great hero.

Same with Lady Mormont. I was so upset when the giant grabbed her, but she took him down with her. I knew she was dead, sadly; she was flopping like a rag doll after stabbing the giant zombie.

Theon got his redemption, after getting the "thank you" of death from Bran. I only wished he hadn't rushed the NK, he would have had a better chance up close.

Dragons battled in the sky!! Did the Rhaegal get killed?!? No!! They're an endangered species!

Sam was so annoying  — he kept needing to get rescued. Just go to the crypts already, you're being a distraction.

Am I wrong to wish Sansa would fall in love with Tyrion? I loved their moment together.

Jamie saved Brienne! OMG, the deathcount wasn't nearly as high as I feared.

I love how Melisandre showed up, lit up the blades, and at the end drifted away and finally died. Poetic and fitting.

Too long until next week, but we're reaching the end.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 24

I was disappointed with the Dragons nd I always loved the dragons.

It seemed like they just cruised around like drones for most of the fight. And enough already... far too much of Dani and John gazing at each other from the backs of their flying lizards.

Tywin Lannister was right.

• Love 9