Type keyword(s) to search

S38.E09: Y'all Making Me Crazy

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Random thoughts on episode 9 "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

• While we were privy to plans 1-5 (and parts of 6 and 8), 9 appeared out of nowhere
  • Not that the vote really mattered, as we knew the bootee would be headed to the Edge of Extinction with brief stops at the Jury of Overreaction
  • Back when the show started there were solid alliances, then came flippers, then shifting alliances, and now entropy has taken full hold of the Survivor universe and we're left with simply chaos.

What I'm hoping is an event on the horizon is the extraordinary pull of the black hole of loser's lodge, where extinguished torch lights cannot escape.  I can picture it now, and it would be wonderful. 

Edited by GenerationX
  • LOL 15
  • Love 4

Julia totally outsmarted herself.  Even if Passenger Rick didn't nuke her plan at TC, the idea of flipping back was moronic. Nobody involved in orchestrating back to back flips would ever have a prayer with the jury, as just about every member would be pissed and nobody would respect her.

Flipping last week wasn't very smart, but they should have stayed the course once that decision was made.

• Love 7

I have to say that thus far every week I have been surprised to see Julia and wondered briefly who she was.  Tonight when Julie said "Julia's the smartest one out here" my first thought was "Who's Julia?"  So I guess I won't miss her 😄

My new rule idea:  if you start that whispering know that Jeff will randomly ring a bell meaning you shut up immediately and stare at your feet while the vote takes place.

Also:  I have always like Aubrey but she has made it clear from the beginning that she intends to be THE NARRATOR of the season.  She can dial it back with her TC reactions any time now.🙄

Edited by princelina
  • LOL 4
  • Love 15

I'm not wild about the get up and whisper tribals. Maybe the rule should be you have to stay in your seat. Then if you want to communicate with those at the other end you have to say it out loud or resort to hand gestures.

The jury was enjoying it though. Finally getting something besides deep brooding, faraway looks from Joe and Aubrey was bringing the Eliza-level reactions. (Though Eliza remains Queen of Tribal Reactions)

I was having a hard time telling Chris and Eric apart when they were on separate tribes, now that they are both on Edge of Eternal Extinction it's much harder. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

When Chris got out of the ocean I thought he had hurt his shoulder. Then I realized it was a tattoo. LOL!!! Kind of ugly & I cant decide what it is. I also get confused between Chris & Eric. Although, I don’t think they really look alike I would like to see them stand next to each other. I guess the jury box was a little glimpse. 

• Love 3

I honestly wish I cared about any of these people, but I just can’t get into this season and these players for some reason. I mean, I like David and Joe and Aubry just fine, but I can’t find my usual Survivor passion for any of the supposedly exciting things that are happening, like that tribal tonight. I don’t love anyone or hate anyone, they’re all just there. And it’s bumming me out because I love this show. 

• Love 16

So there's a Julie AND a Julia ?!? Amazing. I really thought the vote was going to be Aurora, since it seemed like  she " spilled the beans". And she was looking like she was going to hurl right about then, so I thought she'd be it. I was rather shocked when it came back as Julia. And while Julia did seem pretty snippy, or downright rude depending on your point of view, seeing as how she went from feeling like they had this tribal in the bag to losing complete control, all in the space of about 2 minutes ( in tv time, anyway), I can't really blame her for lashing out. That has to throw you and tribal is nothing if not emotional.

David slips by once again-- every time it looks like his number is up, something happens and he escapes. And he didn't even need the idol.

• Love 5

That was a blah tribal council. I can't stand the get up and whispering parts either. Going into tribal council, I knew David was the target, but after all the nonsense whispering I had no idea who was going.  When I saw Julia's name come up once or twice, I didn't know if anyone else's name would come up too. I get why she was voted out, but I would like to be clued into who the target shifts to, too. 

Still impressed that Kelley and Lauren manage to hold onto their idols and not play them yet. 

• Love 2

Maybe I'm a misanthrope, but the life of that beautiful stingray with the brilliant blue spots seemed more precious than any of the fuckups on that island.

I fast-forwarded but not soon enough.   It seemed unnecessarily cruel.

• Love 17

I'm calling it now guys. Aurora wins this whole thing. That would be kind of fitting for this season, right? She's kind of terrible and I'm kind of ok with it.

Julie is also kind of terrible. I'm less liking that.

Actually everyone's kind of terrible in one way or the other. I don't hate Lauren. Or David I guess.

I saw online today that Joey Super Duper Amazing and Sierra Super Duper Whatever got engaged. So that's something because I don't think he's ever winning Survivor.

Edited by Steph Sometimes
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Lamima said:

That was crazy and stupid. Hate that crap and wish the show would put a stop to it. And this  cast is soooooo unlikable.

The cast isn't only unlikeable, they're forgettable.  I have to have the CBS website open, with the photos of the cast, so I can remember who is who.  I swear, every week, it seems they add another person. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 9

I'll say this much about tonight's TC: I'd rather have this kind of chaos than the "(day 1 tribe) strong" stuff that's taken over the last few seasons. Even if you have the numbers at the merge, going for the easy pickings for the first few TCs and then hoping you can make some moves in the last few seems like it's got a pretty good chance of backfiring.

• Love 15

I enjoyed this episode. Unless a player I am truly rooting for gets screwed over by these live tribal situations, I'm good with whoever gets the boot. It was fun for me to watch the plans devolve into chaos and not knowing which way the vote was going. I have to wonder what would have happened if this had been a more normal tribal. Julia and Gavin seemed to be playing both sides, so I have no clue if they genuinely would have voted Kelly or David (or was there another name floating about that just didn't air)? If the vote had come down to Kelly and David and both got spooked and played their idols, it would have been interesting to see who would have ended up on the wrong side of that vote. 

It rarely fails that a tribe that merges up in the numbers and "strong" self destructs once the players get a chance to actually play. That's why, even though I think it is a poor decision to stick to [insert tribe name here] "strong" play until you have to turn on each other, it usually backfires if you turn too soon before whittling the opposing tribe's numbers down to a more manageable level. Survivor seasons are riddled with minority tribes sticking together enough through the merge to take out the dominant tribe (with the dominant tribe's help of course). 

I was pleased to see Rick and David get back together with seemingly no hard feelings (unlike Julie who just emotionally self destructed over being left out of a vote). I enjoy Rick and David as a pair, so I'm glad they aren't gunning for each other. I also find it delightful to see David and Kelly's unlikely partnership at times. I mean, it's not like they are best buddies or anything, but there really doesn't seem to be any hard feelings between the two, even though they have targeted each other. I think that comes from being returning players and not taking vote targets and flips so personally. 

It will be interesting to see what happens next week. At this point, I bet on seeing more Kama destruction, and I'm here for that. Out of the remaining Kama, Victoria is the only one I really care about. 

• Love 17

I think Gavin and Ron actually drove the decision to vote for Julia. It’s clearly just a guess, but Gavin seemed ticked to have his big resume item of being personally responsible for removing David from the game taken away. Yeah, I’m eyerolling here. And Ron was still bitter about being betrayed last tribal, but he seemed more willing to talk to Gavin and forgive him and work with him than with Julia. 

So while I definitely think Julia’s snippiness got her in trouble at TC, I think Gavin did the math, realized that 7 was greater than 5, and decided to join the 7 and throw Julia under the bus as an act of solidarity and also because she switched the plan. And Victoria went with the numbers, too, of course. Which... honestly, was probably a smart move by Gavin.

Also, Julia might have been fine if either Julie or Aurora had not gone batshiz. One falling apart or being arrogant and talking too much might have been ok. Both of them, though? She panicked and started trying to take control and shut people up, and that made things much worse. 

I took Julia’s giggling differently than others did, I guess. I see some saw it as arrogance. Since I was sitting at home kind of half-laughing in disbelief that Julie was threatening the plan by having a meltdown, I thought that Julia was giggling in that nervous “Omg, is this really happening?” kind of way. (When Aurora started talking, I went to full laughter.) I also noticed that Julia does that hands-massaging-face thing I sometimes do when something has blown up and I’m sort of in a laughing-but-not-really-amused state of *bleep* My Life realization.

• Love 11

With the level of name illiteracy at Tribal that seems to be a constant through the seasons, I wonder if any of the players meant to vote out Julie instead of Julia?  Whoopsie.

• LOL 7
  • Love 5

I'm just blown away that Gavin is married because he looks like he just hit puberty the other day and got excited about growing facial hair. 

Also, I was full-blown laughing at Julie's breakdown. I really thought that Julie was named Julia and Julia was named Julie, so thank goodness one of them is finally gone. I'm just going to call Julie "Etsy" from now on. Crybaby Etsy.

• LOL 9
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, ForeverAlone said:

It rarely fails that a tribe that merges up in the numbers and "strong" self destructs once the players get a chance to actually play. That's why, even though I think it is a poor decision to stick to [insert tribe name here] "strong" play until you have to turn on each other, it usually backfires if you turn too soon before whittling the opposing tribe's numbers down to a more manageable level. Survivor seasons are riddled with minority tribes sticking together enough through the merge to take out the dominant tribe (with the dominant tribe's help of course)

I think the EoE has messed with the "_____ Strong" dynamic a bit, and I'm not unhappy about that. I'm always annoyed when they're all "oooh my TRIBE!!!" and forget it's an individual game at the end. Especially when you see some of them just playing to advance the top 2 or 3, knowing  they're going to get tossed to the side. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I lost track . . . why did Julia get voted out? All I really know about her is that she's gotten what seems like less than minimal screentime.

Julia got voted out because she foolishly orchestrated a needless blindside of her own tribe/alliance last week and then even more foolishly tried to orchestrate a blindside of her new alliance this week.  Being an obnoxious twit and calling Devens "such a passenger" and telling The Warthog to shut up, also didn't help.

• Love 14

When the jury came in Jeff didn’t announce them one by one and finish with “Eric, voted out at the last Tribal Council.”

Don’t mess with tradition, Peach. I blame EoE.

Although, thinking on it, it’s kind of silly for him to have done that every time, for 38 seasons.  While we may not remember who everyone is out there, presumably the people who have been playing for a month do.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, KimberStormer said:

I can only imagine Victoria was thinking "YOU SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO ME LAST TIME YOU IDIOTS!" this whole episode long. 

She's lurking in the background, seemingly never at  risk, not posturing (like Julia fatally did this episode), not drawing attention to herself, marching deeper and deeper into the game.  

• Love 12
8 hours ago, txvoodoo said:

LOL Gavin, "I thought I had a vote in what we said but it turned into a dictatorship." No, you thought you held the reins but the horse went its own way.

Yeah I found it a bit backwards, his plan as the dictator got outvoted by the ovryone else
 who would be the democracy.

7 hours ago, Haleth said:

So we'd know what was going on.

But do we?  We get an edited version of a story that they want to tell or misdirect.  Did we even know Eric was on the chopping block last week?  Everything we saw made it look like it was between Ron, Kelley and Lauren, and then Eric gets voted out.

7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I lost track . . . why did Julia get voted out? All I really know about her is that she's gotten what seems like less than minimal screentime.

They way I saw it, Kama hadn't done a very good job of maintaining their relationships.  It seemed like both Julie and Rick both got ignored and so didn't trust the plans that they had been told.  Then a bit of a snow ball happened when Rick suggested people on the bottom band together and Julie freaked out and publicly declared she was flipping it formed a perceived majority.  So people like Victoria and Gavin jumped on board so they wouldn't be on the wrong side of the numbers.  Aurora was outspoken at the start and was the first target but then Julia was too vocal and rude which brought attention onto herself.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

This is going to make me sound like a creepy guy who hits on teenage girls at the mall, but Aurora has a very interesting look.  I've never seen anyone look like her.  Is it like a Eastern European or Scandinavian look or something?  Like an attractive E.T.

She always reminds me of Jodie Foster with the constant over-the-top intensity. She seems to be well hated by the others so I don't think it's just resting bitch face either.  "I can't stand soccer moms,"  was a clue.

I sort of like her, though, and almost everyone else in the cast except for  Ron.

Ron has played this whole game as if he thought he was the most popular counselor at  sleep-away camp.  I started disliking him when he made up that pep-song  for Kama.  Now that he's starting to cry whenever he realizes someone doesn't like him, I'm fed up.

• Love 12

Julia was the right choice. She's much better at challenges than Aurora and seems to have better strategic chops. Until tonight, I thought she had a decent social game, but she really blew that up at Tribal (not that Aurora covered herself in glory there, either, but Julia was even worse).

• Love 8

I can't decide if the title of the episode should have been:

"I can't deal with soccer Moms!" (way to alienate a big section of your potential client base, Aurora.) or

"I might be the poop." 💩

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • LOL 15
  • Love 5

From Probst interview about this weeks episode:

"If you contrast Julie and Aurora you get a very clear illustration of one reason Survivor is compelling and maybe some further insight into why a Tribal can suddenly go “live” when a moment earlier it seemed fine. Julie is a wife and a mom with kids. She is missing them. She is exhausted and wears her emotions on her sleeve. So she is not as stable as she was on day one. This isn’t a surprise to the other players, nor to Julie. It’s just part of her makeup. Aurora, on the other hand, comes from a very different world. She comes from the foster care system. She has been on her own most of her life. She is a very strong woman who by necessity has learned to rely on herself to get through most things in life. As a result, her emotions are not as easily visible because she can’t allow them to be. Nothing is going to break her."

Have they mentioned that Aurora was in the foster care system? Because, wow. That is heavy shit and can lead to all sorts of different views on the world then the rest of us have.

• Useful 13
  • Love 11
7 hours ago, Nashville said:

Ron never looked so much like a one trick pony as he did tonight.  When his original Ron-the-puppetmaster game plan collapsed, he didn’t have anything resembling a backup - he’s purely floundering.

I've never seen anyone go from power hungry arrogant swaggerer to brow beaten surrenderer so fast.  It's like he lost the will to live after realizing he was outplayed.

10 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Kelly and David seem to be lost with how to play with this group.

"Herding cats" comes to mind.  On the other hand their previous experience has taught them how the game should be played.  I find myself rooting for David to win.

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

When the jury came in Jeff didn’t announce them one by one and finish with “Eric, voted out at the last Tribal Council.”

Yeah, I noted that.  I wonder if it's because it's not certain who of them will be around for the final jury.  Or maybe Probst forgot their names too.

I miss the Ponderosa videos.

Edited by Haleth
  • LOL 5
  • Love 12
10 hours ago, vb68 said:

Well that tribal (hopefully) saved the season.

Julia being an over the top, arrogant jerk came out of nowhere.

Hard to say what's really going on but it seemed like Julia was one of the quiet ones but also quietly stewing - she obviously was frustrated by parts of the game and how it was going and frustrated by some of the tribe mates and never really said anything about it at camp.  So to me when she let go at tribal once it started she just completely let go and vented all the things she'd been holding back.  Sort of "I always wanted to tell so and so off so here it comes".   Seems like she can be tough and a leader when she needs to,  too bad it all came out at once and at the completely wrong time.

10 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

The title of the episode should have been “OMG she’s lost her damn mind!” HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Aubry’s faces are priceless.

I didn’t need to see that young stingray gasping for it’s last dying breath.

Agree about the episode title, we said the same thing!   They fooled me with Aubry's face in the previews, I really thought from the discussions at camp she was going to be making the shocked faces because there were going to be multiple idols played that negated and changed the votes.  Never saw batshit crazy last minute plotting and fighting coming - not that it wasn't fun to watch (we need a board vote, I'm on the side that seems to be the minority right now of it's OK to let the plotting go on at tribal even in whispers)

10 hours ago, PaperTree said:

Why Warthog was not an easy boot is a mystery to me.

Because he's useless.  He looks muscular like he could be an immunity threat, but he can't throw a ball or balance on a beam or do pretty much anything.  He talks to people like he's trying to play and plot but he always seems to go in the wrong direction with the most inane logic and is willing to change his vote at the drop of a hat.  He's an unlikely goat.

I loved David plopping down next to Kelly at tribal and just going "Hi" with that big smile.  Gavin was a surprise immunity win, there may be something to him as long as he doesn't get over confident.  STILL no front runner that I can find but at least finally, finally last night it seemed like everyone started actually playing the game!

Any Frasier fans here?  Finally figured out who Julie reminds me of - Frasiers unpleasant girlfriend, (ironically named Julia and played by Felicity Huffman) from Season 11 - she looks and sounds like her and sometimes her attitude comes across the same (not last nigh with the meltdown obviously)

• Love 7

I still don’t get EoE. 

I mean, if I was on the jury, I’d be PISSED. So they’re there to compete for one final spot? But they haven’t been playing the game? And no Ponderosa? Pissed I tell ya 

This season should be called “Survivor: what in the fresh hell is this?”

Edited by sadiegirl1999
Ponderosa
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6

I really don’t have a read on Kelly or the David-Kelly relationship.  Is that because I’m blind?

Kelly either has nerves of steel or she really has read the others that well.  Or .... I guess it could be that Kelly and David may be keeping each other informed about intended targets without others knowing.  It might explain Kelly’s choosing not to play her idol and David playing his  

Or ....

Help me out here so I see what I’m missing. 

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Any Frasier fans here?  Finally figured out who Julie reminds me of - Frasiers unpleasant girlfriend, (ironically named Julia and played by Felicity Huffman) from Season 11 - she looks and sounds like her and sometimes her attitude comes across the same (not last nigh with the meltdown obviously)

That's one of my favourite Frasier episodes.  I've watched it many times.  I totally get your reference, but I don't really see the resemblance yet.  I think Julie reminds me of someone too, but not sure who.

• Love 1

I read Wardogs twitter. Don't judge. He does bring up a great point. He's had no votes can't against him yet. He, Kelly & Lauren have all voted the same together at ever Tribal Council. That said, he does suck at challenges. He's in good shape and looks good with a tan. LOL!!! For all I know the three of them could make the Final 3. Kelley & Lauren's HII and no one having Wardog on their radar from what is shown.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

Have they mentioned that Aurora was in the foster care system? Because, wow. That is heavy shit and can lead to all sorts of different views on the world then the rest of us have.

I just found a brief mention of it in her bio on the CBS website, but I don't think it's been mentioned on the show. Apparently she and her brother were taken from their biological mother and grew up in foster care.
https://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/216068/

• Useful 5
  • Love 2

My only problem with this kind of tribal council is that it is hard to follow.  I don't need to know every nuance of every plan.  I love a blindside and a fluid tribal council.  I don't mind editing that keeps me wondering what the plan is but I don't like feeling lost and totally confused.  I think it's the whispering that is the problem for me.  I want to know as much as I can, what they are saying to each other.  

• Love 10
47 minutes ago, Ellee said:

I really don’t have a read on Kelly or the David-Kelly relationship.  Is that because I’m blind?

Kelly either has nerves of steel or she really has read the others that well.  Or .... I guess it could be that Kelly and David may be keeping each other informed about intended targets without others knowing.  It might explain Kelly’s choosing not to play her idol and David playing his  

Or ....

Help me out here so I see what I’m missing. 

According to Victoria and Julia on Twitter, by the time of the vote, it was very obvious that Julia was the one being voted out.  

• Useful 2
Just now, mishap said:

My only problem with this kind of tribal council is that it is hard to follow.  I don't need to know every nuance of every plan.  I love a blindside and a fluid tribal council.  I don't mind editing that keeps me wondering what the plan is but I don't like feeling lost and totally confused.  I think it's the whispering that is the problem for me.  I want to know as much as I can, what they are saying to each other.  

I thought this whispering TC was much clearer than most past ones.  Sometimes they were speaking out loud and a lot of subtitles were added to let us know what was being whispered.  It seemed pretty clear to me (maybe too clear) that either Aurora or Julia was getting voted out.  

• Love 6

It would be helpful to me to have colored dots above their heads signifying their alliances lol.  And in an episode like this as the potential voting blocks change the dots change color.  Maybe it’s because I’m a visual learner and get confused by all kinds of chatter but I can’t keep these people straight.  And because of it the impact of the scramble or boot is lost on me.

I enjoyed the mad scramble aspect and the fact we got to hear a bit of the negotiations but for me personally I didn’t have the same reaction as the jury.

Peachys explanation of weeping mom Julia versus Tough Aurora is fine but it hasn’t been established on the show yet.  If that’s what they were going for then they didn’t do a good job editing.  Frankly when aurora made that comment about soccer moms I had no idea what she was talking about.

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I've never seen anyone go from power hungry arrogant swaggerer to brow beaten surrenderer so fast.  It's like he lost the will to live after realizing he was outplayed.

Agreed! I've never seen such a dramatic reaction to a blindside. He went from super cocky to punctured balloon, to the point he just wanted to sit and observe. I didn't see that coming. 

• Love 4