Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E12: Josiah & Lauren's Prank-less Wedding?

ginger90
  • Start Topic

15 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

II thought Lauren's sister seemed sweet.  I do think its odd that they get so spun about their sibling getting married.  All I was concerned about when my sister got married when I was in high school was A) are there going to be any cute guys there and B) will I be able to sneak alcohol and C) why do I have to wear this ugly dress

Viewing it in comparison to the Duggar lifestyle as a measuring stick, the sister being left behind loses an in-home friend, ally -- and partner to shoulder the load of housework and child rearing.  Once again using the Duggars as the comparison, the Swanson home, hygiene and general standard of living suggests much more upkeep, therefore a larger workload.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, lulu69 said:

That D is so pathetic looking. It's as if Boob threw $5 out of his wallet and said 'bring back the change'. 

Poor Si.

Woah. That foliage display had a D in it?! I thought it was just the banners. And I’m not colorblind.

1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

That really is sad looking esp compared with the JinJer V.  Looks like something the younger Duggars would make. I didnt even realize there was a D made of flowers and foliage. I thought the banner with the D hung at the reception was the only one she was talking about.

Ditto. And I didn’t even LIKE the V - I mean, it was well-done and nice looking, if it were just displayed in the reception area or something (by a guestbook or gift table, maybe), but I thought it was tacky and out of place up on the alter, and brought down the aesthetic they otherwise had in the sanctuary. So actually I guess I preferred the hidden D that just looked like a random rectangle of foliage up on the alter for Josiah and Lauren’s wedding, but had no idea there was a hidden D in there.

• Love 6
On 10/3/2018 at 12:10 AM, louannems said:

I watched the first kiss again.  At least Kendra's dad, who also officiated her wedding, had the decency to look away during the first kiss.  But Lauren's creepy dad was peering over Josiah's shoulder trying to see Lauren's face.  Creepy.  And Josiah did wipe his mouth.  Very noticeable and childlike.

I loved that Si went in for a second kiss and was rebuffed!  Hilarious!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:
2 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Going to go off topic for a minute and take advantage of this post to ask dumb question of the century.........    I see these numbers all the time, in posts, on memes like a puppy picture that says "He's a good dog 10/13" etc and I have NO IDEA what they mean.  I know they came from somewhere and they're newish but honestly just no clue what they signify.  Somebody help me out here!

It’s the date. I know the USA is not like most of the world, we do MM/DD for date, most of the globe does DD/MM for date. 

Thanks!  I never thought of date either way; MM/DD or DD/MM - I was thinking it had something to do with "score" like saying I'll give 6 out of 10 points but sometimes the numbers didn't make sense with that.  Dates never crossed my mind but it all makes perfect sense.  Thanks to Quarks & SheShark too.

Off topic explanations gratefully accepted I now return you to your regularly scheduled snarking.  :-)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Tikichick said:

the Swanson home, hygiene and general standard of living suggests much more upkeep

Did you see the Swanson home Version 1.0 (before they moved to the McMansion in Arkansas)?  crazy knick-knack hell that looked pretty down-market,  The AR house is sooooo different from their previous digs that I wonder what's going on......

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Horrified said:

Did you see the Swanson home Version 1.0 (before they moved to the McMansion in Arkansas)?  crazy knick-knack hell that looked pretty down-market,  The AR house is sooooo different from their previous digs that I wonder what's going on......

I'm referring more to an overall attention to cleanliness, regarding both the home and personal hygiene.  I'll even go out on a limb and suggest that perhaps they are more eco friendly and thus don't use paper products to eat off of at home on a daily basis. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Horrified said:

Have we even talked about Miss Cindy's "theme" for the wedding? (Aside:  do weddings have themes now?  I thought the wedding was the theme....)

Theme:  Princess Dreams

Occassion:  7 year-old's birthday party

vs.

Theme:  Princess (The. Horse.!!) Dreams

Occassion:  Wedding.  Ah yes, young couples everywhere dream of launching into their new lives together with a celebration based on a childhood pet.

FYI -my first pet's name was Bingo.  My wedding theme and decor just wrote itself folks.

Have I got an invitation design for you!  I am having Drag Queen Bingo (same group from HWs for those that watch) tonight and the poster we made has the Bingo caller holding bingo balls and we put the other callers face on the balls.  This would be fantastic on a wedding invite!  HA!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Portia said:

I think that's definitely a YMMV thing. My three adult children are all married, and I most decidedly consider their parents and even their siblings to be a special category of extended family. I think my reasoning is, "These people are the family of my DIL/SIL. And they are now my son/daughter's family, so they're important to me, too."  Social media make it easy for me to keep up with their milestones and general health, even though we all live in different cities. When I am talking to my DIL or SIL, I consider it a matter of common courtesy to inquire after their family--for example, "How is your sister's pregnancy going?" or "Has your dad been back to the heart doctor lately?" We send Christmas gifts to each other's families. Sometimes we send flowers to funerals. And yes, we do invite one another to weddings as well as bridal and baby showers, but I don't think anyone feels under any huge obligation to travel for a wedding or to send an expensive gift.

Surely I'm not the only one who has this kind of relationship with my kids' in-laws . . . ?  I understand that it's not the case for everyone, but I'm kind of surprise to hear it labeled strange

I don’t think it’s strange either; but many people do. For example it was commented that The Middletons were invited to Prince Harry’s wedding.....which I would’ve expected!(granted when you’re royal/famous it’s different but....)

I think in many cultures/regions there’s more focus on the extended family than others. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Horrified said:

Have we even talked about Miss Cindy's "theme" for the wedding? (Aside:  do weddings have themes now?  I thought the wedding was the theme....)

Theme:  Princess Dreams

Occassion:  7 year-old's birthday party

vs.

Theme:  Princess (The. Horse.!!) Dreams

Occassion:  Wedding.  Ah yes, young couples everywhere dream of launching into their new lives together with a celebration based on a childhood pet.

FYI - my first pet's name was Bingo.  My wedding theme and decor just wrote itself folks.

Are you also in love with your father?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, graefin said:

I don't understand the "Princess memories" theme. I didn't see anything in the decor that reminded me of a horse?

Lauren had a horse named Princess, who died. The flower arrangement at the alter was upside down horse shoes. the first few minutes of the wedding-prep ms. cindy explained her "vision" and there was a scene of the other male kidadults carrying/drilling together in the prop.

Now with that explanation - it took me back to a old M*A*S*H episode where Col. Potter told Radar that the shoe should be pointed upwards. Radar was nailing it up to prevent evil spirts .

"Some people say you should hang the horseshoe with the ends - the heels - pointing up so the good luck it brings won't drain out. Others say the heels should be pointing down so the good luck falls on anybody passing through the doorway".

So new we have a debate should Ms. Cindy's creation point up or down?

horseshow.thumb.png.8f436d887a9256b26e04650b2077f97d.png

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, kokapetl said:

Are you also in love with your father?

I love both of my parents equally.  But then again, my Mom wasn't a helpmeet to my Dad, pumping out disciples whose role it was to ignore her in favour of the all-great Daddy.

Poor Lauren's Mom must have felt majorly insulted when Lauren said something along the lines of the only person she would trust with her life - besides her daddy - was Josiah.  

3 minutes ago, sATL said:

Lauren had a horse named Princess, who died. The flowers alter was upside down horse shoes. the first few minutes of the wedding-prep ms. cindy explained her "vision" and there was a scene of the other male kidadults carrying/drilling together in the prop.

I thought that was the tunnel of love if you get my drift - adjacent to the D.  Oh, this wedding had all kinds of wonderful symbolism.  Good on you Miss Cindy!!

• Love 11
28 minutes ago, sATL said:

Lauren had a horse named Princess, who died. The flower arrangement at the alter was upside down horse shoes.

Right, I had understood that, but I never would have interpreted those arches to be horseshoes. So what about those playing card symbols on the stage?

27 minutes ago, Horrified said:

Poor Lauren's Mom must have felt majorly insulted when Lauren said something along the lines of the only person she would trust with her life - besides her daddy - was Josiah.  

Lana really comes across (from what little we've seen of her) as a Michelle 2.0: a vapid robot. If that's the case, I can't say I blame Lauren.

• Love 4

Nothing epitomizes the stupidity of "purity culture" like watching Josiah and Lauren steal away for a few moments before the wedding...with three of Lauren's minor siblings looking on uncomfortably. Si and Lauren lean in for a kiss, and then...nope. It all feels so unnatural.

Joy: Watching my siblings grow up...I mean, I know I'm grown up, too.

Me: Joy, you are fetal compared to most adults.

• Love 17

I had no idea that the flower arrangement was supposed to be horseshoes! I thought it was supposed to be a crown for “Princess” (which, by the way, is quite the stretch for a wedding theme - a dead pet). 

• Love 12

Well, Lauren's love for her horse aside, it's pretty fucking weird for a father to choose his daughter's wedding theme regardless of how close they are, and not only that, but make the pick based on his favorite memory of her from her childhood. If this is not an indication she isn't mature enough to be getting married, I'm not sure what it is.

Aren't Kendra and Lauren the same age? I think I remember Kendra during her wedding planning saying something along the lines of, you want to take in everyone's opinions and advice, but at the end of the day you need to make sure you end up with what you want. Does Lauren not possess enough of her own mind that her dad has to come up with a concept for her? I don't think she's half as clever as she thinks she is.

• Love 16
5 hours ago, Julia67 said:

I am 50 years old and have always called my dad "daddy".  It's a term of endearment for me not a sign of immaturity.  Good grief.

I think also a lot of the pushback has come from the sexualization of the word "Daddy" in the last 8-10 years by teens and 20-somethings, so now many people associate it with kinky dynamics. When someone hears an adult call their father Daddy, many project an uncomfortable closeness, ownership, or even outright incestuous subtext (Lauren and her dad) because it's been popularized as a cheeky nod to your sexual dynamic or appetites, especially dom/sub. Obviously this new development has been distressing for those who have called their fathers Daddy for decades out of wholesome affection lol (which is clearly the case with Lauren). Daddy has a whole new meaning now!

• Love 10
2 hours ago, graefin said:

Right, I had understood that, but I never would have interpreted those arches to be horseshoes. So what about those playing card symbols on the stage?

Lana really comes across (from what little we've seen of her) as a Michelle 2.0: a vapid robot. If that's the case, I can't say I blame Lauren.

here's the "horse shoes" before they added the Styrofoam blocks thingies to hold the flowers. As far as those props that looked like the "ace of spades/clubs" - I guess ms. cindy was trying to bring out a small detail from a wooden crown  that Lauren and Josiah held at the last Duggar wedding, since she made of point of it.

Now if we have to do all of this analysis to figure out what the hell we are looking at - what about those who saw it firsthand first-time in the church ?

crown.thumb.jpg.28ffe820cda6ef4b334474b9d7d5a9a3.jpg

horseshoe2.thumb.jpg.25678491892a3de86fe28c6f0b0f7e02.jpg

Edited by sATL
  • Love 6
56 minutes ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I think also a lot of the pushback has come from the sexualization of the word "Daddy" in the last 8-10 years by teens and 20-somethings, so now many people associate it with kinky dynamics. When someone hears an adult call their father Daddy, many project an uncomfortable closeness, ownership, or even outright incestuous subtext (Lauren and her dad) because it's been popularized as a cheeky nod to your sexual dynamic or appetites, especially dom/sub. Obviously this new development has been distressing for those who have called their fathers Daddy for decades out of wholesome affection lol (which is clearly the case with Lauren). Daddy has a whole new meaning now!

I honestly hadn’t thought of that!!!!!

• Love 2
8 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Going to go off topic for a minute and take advantage of this post to ask dumb question of the century.........    I see these numbers all the time, in posts, on memes like a puppy picture that says "He's a good dog 10/13" etc and I have NO IDEA what they mean.  I know they came from somewhere and they're newish but honestly just no clue what they signify.  Somebody help me out here!

Ratings.  It started more inappropriately, like “10/10 would bang” and is now a rating system type of internet slang.  Usually used for very good puppers now.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, lizzie3 said:

I had no idea that the flower arrangement was supposed to be horseshoes! I thought it was supposed to be a crown for “Princess” (which, by the way, is quite the stretch for a wedding theme - a dead pet). 

the crown for a horse is all one piece that goes on their back (like a blanket) or head (like  a circle), right ?

6 hours ago, Portia said:

I think that's definitely a YMMV thing. My three adult children are all married, and I most decidedly consider their parents and even their siblings to be a special category of extended family. I think my reasoning is, "These people are the family of my DIL/SIL. And they are now my son/daughter's family, so they're important to me, too."  Social media make it easy for me to keep up with their milestones and general health, even though we all live in different cities. When I am talking to my DIL or SIL, I consider it a matter of common courtesy to inquire after their family--for example, "How is your sister's pregnancy going?" or "Has your dad been back to the heart doctor lately?" We send Christmas gifts to each other's families. Sometimes we send flowers to funerals. And yes, we do invite one another to weddings as well as bridal and baby showers, but I don't think anyone feels under any huge obligation to travel for a wedding or to send an expensive gift.

Surely I'm not the only one who has this kind of relationship with my kids' in-laws . . . ?  I understand that it's not the case for everyone, but I'm kind of surprised to hear it labeled strange

Part of it is family size, geography, etc.  If  I sent Christmas gifts to everyone in my extended family and their in-laws, I would go broke. I also have enough people  to buy baby gifts for. Funerals are different and we do generally know if someone has lost someone and even occassionally send flowers if it's a particularly hard loss. Actually I went to my cousin's ex husband's funeral, because we live near-by and their kids are important to me.  I think part of it is that weddings where people invite huge crowds are less trendy these days in favor of cheaper and more intimate weddings.  A friend did invite her sister's in-laws to watch her kids during the ceremony.

Dan and Deanna live in the area (AR) so it makes sense to invite them and Diana seemed to be there in case Jinger went into labor.  That seems to make sense to me. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I honestly hadn’t thought of that!!!!!

Let's just say there's a reason why "your daughter calls me Daddy too" is a meme now, especially when referring to someone's transformation from meek/nerdy/wholesome to bangable.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, sATL said:

here's the "horse shoes" before they added the Styrofoam blocks thingies to hold the flowers. As far as those props that looked like the "ace of spades/clubs" - I guess ms. cindy was trying to bring out a small detail from a wooden crown  that Lauren and Josiah held at the last Duggar wedding, since she made of point of it.

Now if we have to do all of this analysis to figure out what the hell we are looking at - what about those who saw it firsthand first-time in the church ?

I am so fucking lost in all this back explanation. Just me?

• Love 9
2 hours ago, sATL said:

And no one thought it looked like a giant labia?

• Love 19
4 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I must have dozed off on the explanation of Priness.  I thought the horse shoes were wedding rings. 

i missed that part too and the first look - must have also fallen asleep. but i thought the flower thingy onstage was like a princess carriage.....so wrong i guess.

Was that ice cube thing to test how long you can deal with the pain? Is it at all helpful? Never heard of/seen it before.

And it was Joy who held onto it the longest, right? Not surprised if so.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, sATL said:

The way it turned out, it looked like labia.

I think a better execution of horseshoes would have been to make each "horseshoe" part a different flower color. I can see how horseshoes could come about if I imagine one on top of the other.

• Love 3

Abbie's hair needs to be tamed. But she's a nurse!-so maybe went to college?

I thought the bride should have worn her hair up, it looked messy down (and she has nice hair).

5 minutes ago, tvrox said:

Abbie's hair needs to be tamed. But she's a nurse!-so maybe went to college?

I thought the bride should have worn her hair up, it looked messy down (and she has nice hair).

Well, all the details for Lauren’s gorgeous dress was in the back. Her hair and her veil hid everything. Hair would have looked awesome up, and veil could have been dialed down to showcase the back. IMHO of course. 

• Love 12
10 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Thanks!  I never thought of date either way; MM/DD or DD/MM - I was thinking it had something to do with "score" like saying I'll give 6 out of 10 points but sometimes the numbers didn't make sense with that.  Dates never crossed my mind but it all makes perfect sense.  Thanks to Quarks & SheShark too.

Off topic explanations gratefully accepted I now return you to your regularly scheduled snarking.  :-)

Omfg count me in as being educated here. I always thought it was a score too. 

Sorry everyone, I’ll go back on topic. 

...getting married to hump? Yay or nay? ?

7 hours ago, sATL said:

Lauren had a horse named Princess, who died. The flower arrangement at the alter was upside down horse shoes. the first few minutes of the wedding-prep ms. cindy explained her "vision" and there was a scene of the other male kidadults carrying/drilling together in the prop.

Now with that explanation - it took me back to a old M*A*S*H episode where Col. Potter told Radar that the shoe should be pointed upwards. Radar was nailing it up to prevent evil spirts .

"Some people say you should hang the horseshoe with the ends - the heels - pointing up so the good luck it brings won't drain out. Others say the heels should be pointing down so the good luck falls on anybody passing through the doorway".

So new we have a debate should Ms. Cindy's creation point up or down?

I was just going to mention this when I noticed you already mentioned the horseshoes up v. down aspect. My house (and going back to my youth here!) the horseshoe ALWAYS points up. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I am so fucking lost in all this back explanation. Just me?

I think the crown was meant to symbolize a decoration that Lauren and Josiah were working on together at one of the other siblings weddings. That’s when they realized they liked each other. 

I don’t know if Lauren’s father picked the theme or just told Cindy  about Lauren’s interest in horses as a child.   Lauren and Josiah were  not allowed to pick a theme or choose their decorations because Cindy wanted to ‘surprise’ then. Apparently it’s a requirement if you hire her.   In my opinion... my wedding, my theme, my choice of decorations. YMMV. 

• Love 20
7 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don’t think it’s strange either; but many people do. For example it was commented that The Middletons were invited to Prince Harry’s wedding.....which I would’ve expected!(granted when you’re royal/famous it’s different but....)

I think in many cultures/regions there’s more focus on the extended family than others. 

Regarding invited extended family and/or in-laws, it is black-letter Emily Post etiquette that whenever someone is included in the wedding party as an attendant, an usher, a page boy, flower girl, etc., that person's parents absolutely should be invited to the wedding (and parents/siblings of new godparents should be invited to attend baptisms, etc.) So it doesn't seem strange to me that extended in-laws were invited when their children or grandchildren were in the wedding.

And OF COURSE the Middletons were invited to the H-M wedding. Absurd to think they would not to be, given how close W and K are to them, and that Harry has been their third wheel for a decade. I'm sure he has spent loads of time with them

• Love 8
31 minutes ago, awaken said:

How cringeworthy. Practicing on his hand to kiss a girl “right smack dab on the lips”. Like my girlfriends and I would do at sleepovers when we were 11. 

Snd the caption on the photo of SiRen says Josiah and Kendra Caldwell. 

Aaahhh...my hand was a stand-in for years upon years of practice transitioning to fantasy. Fashioning a Senor Wences style mouth between your thumb and index finger can be surprisingly effective if you are feeling particularly lonesome...I'd be lying if I claimed never having resorted to that even up to this day.

• Love 3
On 10/3/2018 at 10:13 AM, Tigregirl said:

I know the Duggars invite everyone and anyone to their weddings but it seems strange to me that Dan Dillard, Jinger's MIL, etc were at Josiah's wedding.  How well do they even know him?  I can't imagine my siblings inviting my in-laws to their weddings, their children's weddings etc.  They met all my siblings at my wedding but certainly wouldn't feel they knew them enough to attend any of their weddings.  But I guess with the Dugs, the more people you invite, the more gifts you receive.

I doubt they know Dan or Mrs. Vuolo either, now that you mention it. ... On the other hand, they probably know them a lot better than they know 800 or 900 other people they also invited. (many of whom attended....lol). ... 

Plus, Der's and Jer's family may have gotten comped travel or meals and lodging out of it or something -- since TLC might want them there for audience interest -- "spot the people you recognize." ... While those hundreds of other suckers  guests attended on their own dime. ... Very very hard to imagine why. ...

Except I guess it has something to do with their all being part of an insular culture that's pretty strongly opposed to the rest of the culture So everybody's excited to get into large gatherings of their spiritual kin -- especially when they may have umpty-nine kids they need to marry off.  (plus, of course, the Duggs are TeeVee Stahs.)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3
On 10/4/2018 at 11:17 AM, WalrusGirl said:

Ditto. And I didn’t even LIKE the V - I mean, it was well-done and nice looking, if it were just displayed in the reception area or something (by a guestbook or gift table, maybe), but I thought it was tacky and out of place up on the alter, and brought down the aesthetic they otherwise had in the sanctuary. 

Plus, I laugh every time I see it in photos with Jingle because to me it just looks like a billboard-scale caption pointing out that she was a Big White Virgin. i.e., just what Jer wanted 

EMLTA:       image.png.7d38bcfbdada9e0c8a25f4e0c5af1cd5.png

Edited by Churchhoney
I knew I'd seen that V before .... and not in Vendetta
  • Love 14

It's standard Duggar practice to invite everyone they've brushed elbows with over the last twenty years, so extending the invite to in-laws isn't unusual, I'm just a bit surprised the Vuolos attended. Dan and Deanna going makes sense because they're local and weddings are big social functions in their world, but I can't see why Diana would buy a plane ticket and pay for a hotel to attend the wedding of a guy she's probably said ten words total to since they met.

I guess you could argue she wanted to see JinJer, but with that big of a crowd, how could she possibly spend any real quality time with them? 

• Love 10
11 hours ago, awaken said:

How cringeworthy. Practicing on his hand to kiss a girl “right smack dab on the lips”. Like my girlfriends and I would do at sleepovers when we were 11. 

Snd the caption on the photo of SiRen says Josiah and Kendra Caldwell. 

Yes, but the thing is -- you had girlfriends to practice with at age 11. .........The Duggar kids have been under guard so much (not to mention surrounded by a dozen-plus sibling snitches) that they most likely have had terrifying moments even as they've tried to sneak practicing with their HANDS over the years. When you live in one of these surveillance-based families, the usual opportunities are darned hard to come by .... so you end up with a lot of people with very stunted development. As we see....

• Love 4
On 10/2/2018 at 9:14 AM, debbie311 said:

I agree with all who have said the obsession with the first kiss is cringe-worthy.  Josiah really went for it.  Did anyone notice he wiped his mouth afterwards?  Then when he went in for a second kiss, and Lauren rebuffed him.  That was so awkward!  And everyone watching -- it's just creepy for me.  And yes, as someone already noticed, some woman seated behind Michelle did kind of roll her eyes.

The idea that you have never kissed, never spent any time ALONE with the person you are now expected to spend the rest of your life with.  Crazy.

Josiah had some practice with that - otherwise he's just really lucky to go for it and not miss like Josh did.

On 10/2/2018 at 9:35 AM, ehall1052 said:

Does the cost of the venue go up if you turn on the A/C?  If so, they must have opted out of paying it because everyone was fanning themselves and sweating bullets. 

Surprisingly a lot of churches (especially older - which this one looks to be) don't have AC

OR when you get so many damn people smashed into a small space the AC doesn't matter and can't keep up. 

On 10/2/2018 at 4:23 PM, SnarkySnarky said:

No. During the scene where they were setting up for the wedding. 

75F77959-25F9-488D-8656-C16B8A90D263.jpeg

Thats not Josh - that guy has obvious upper arm muscles and pecs. 

On 10/3/2018 at 9:13 AM, Tigregirl said:

I know the Duggars invite everyone and anyone to their weddings but it seems strange to me that Dan Dillard, Jinger's MIL, etc were at Josiah's wedding.  How well do they even know him?  I can't imagine my siblings inviting my in-laws to their weddings, their children's weddings etc.  They met all my siblings at my wedding but certainly wouldn't feel they knew them enough to attend any of their weddings.  But I guess with the Dugs, the more people you invite, the more gifts you receive.

At first I thought it was odd to see Derrick's brother and Jinger's MIL but then I realized that the Duggars literally invite everyone they know so it would probably be a HUGE insult if they didn't invite the in-laws. 

• Love 1