Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Tabasco Cat said:

Ben Affleck's name at birth was "Affleck-Boldt" which is where the hyphenate comes from. I had no idea

I bet the clue writers also have no idea, using hyphenate the way they did to suggest someone with multiple titles is extremely common in the entertainment industry.

• Love 3

My affiliate reran Monday's game today. Boo hiss. Sorry to read that Doug is turning out to be a douche because I liked him Monday.

St. Francis of Assisi's feast day is 10/3, so that was timely. 

2 hours ago, GenerationX said:

I ran the Weird Al category.  

OH HELL TO THE NO!!!!! My joy at missing last week's marriage proposal is now greatly diminished. Weird Al would absolutely be a Cliff Clavin category for me. 

• Love 4

I'm surprised no one asked me if I ran the Nancy Drew category. Heh.

Last night I got  Anna Karenina for FJ before Alex even finished reading the clue. J! writers LOVE Anna K, along with GWTW and anything Poe.

But I broke my FJ streak tonight. I couldn't get Clint Eastwood out of my head. Plus, I was trying to explain to Mr. Author why "the middle guy" should bet 0. Whereupon he proved my point.

• Love 5

The fact is the writers could have left the FJ clue exactly as it was, just removing the word "Hyphenates," and had a perfectly adequate and clear clue. Like many here, I thought it was Affleck but ruled it out because of that wording.

• Love 8

Last night I got nostalgia and Liberty which gave us a good laugh. We were drinking a Pinot Noir from Trader Joe’s ( it’s the only place that we’ve been able to find it) named Liberte. I Highly recommend it. I didn’t get FJ. I kept trying to think of a name with a hyphen in it. Thanks posters up thread for explaining what they meant so maybe next time I’ll have a chance. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

My affiliate reran Monday's game today. Boo hiss. Sorry to read that Doug is turning out to be a douche because I liked him Monday.

St. Francis of Assisi's feast day is 10/3, so that was timely. 

OH HELL TO THE NO!!!!! My joy at missing last week's marriage proposal is now greatly diminished. Weird Al would absolutely be a Cliff Clavin category for me. 

They saved the Weird Al category for last, and I was pissed off because I thought we wouldn't get to see all the clues. 

• Love 6

Oh, I don't know. I can't even count how many times that blasted proposal has been posted online and played on local and national news. I'd rather see Doug do a rollback than that bogus "we're so in lurve" stuff. And months later, I'm still seeing Austin's face mugging and miming for the camera. Some things never die.

Yeah, you're sadly right - I'm just tired of it.  I'm probably just being grumpy but IMO you shouldn't go on Jeopardy to do schtick to try to become famous.  Because, you don't need to do that - - just play the game, don't fool around and you can still be talked about. Ken didn't; Julia didn't; I don't even think Arthur Chu did it (I think it was just his board jumping that annoyed me) - and they still got media attention.  Hell, someone on Slate even wrote an article about me - just because I played a good game and my voice reminded her of Lisa Simpson's. 

• Love 10
7 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I'm surprised no one asked me if I ran the Nancy Drew category. Heh.

Last night I got  Anna Karenina for FJ before Alex even finished reading the clue. J! writers LOVE Anna K, along with GWTW and anything Poe.

But I broke my FJ streak tonight. I couldn't get Clint Eastwood out of my head. Plus, I was trying to explain to Mr. Author why "the middle guy" should bet 0. Whereupon he proved my point.

I was thinking Clint Eastwood or Robert Redford. 

Never in a million years would I have thought of Ben Affleck. 

Doug is a supreme prima donna douche. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I was thinking Clint Eastwood or Robert Redford. 

Never in a million years would I have thought of Ben Affleck. 

Doug is a supreme prima donna douche. 

I agree with the last two sentences, but I was SO sure it was gonna be Bill Murray.  I have not the first idea WHY Murray got stuck in my head, but I couldn't get past him.

• Love 2

When the clue stated written in 1995, I got Good Will Hunting right away, but of course said Matt Damon, even though I couldn’t think of a thing he’s produced. Affleck went right over my head. Must be subconscious.

Also got Anna Karenina, one of my favorite books, and Charlotte Amalie, but the latter, only because I’ve been there.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

The fact is the writers could have left the FJ clue exactly as it was, just removing the word "Hyphenates," and had a perfectly adequate and clear clue. Like many here, I thought it was Affleck but ruled it out because of that wording.

Yep. I'm still annoyed about it. I kept going through every possible writing/producing actor - Mel Gibson, Ron Howard, Clint Eastwood... but went noooo they don't have a hyphenated name. Gah. 
Oh and reserve me a spot on the Doug is Getting On My Nerves train. He was ok the first day, but I'm done now.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Pallida said:

Mr. Pallida wants to know if Doug is from Portlandia. He’s definitely no Alyssa Edwards. 

I wonder if Doug does drag.  Or maybe he's just a big RuPaul fan.

How common is the word hyphenate as a noun?  I'd never heard of the word being used that way before yesterday. 

Edited by PaulaO
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I agree with the last two sentences, but I was SO sure it was gonna be Bill Murray.  I have not the first idea WHY Murray got stuck in my head, but I couldn't get past him.

I wouldn't have thought of Bill Murray because I don't think he has ever won on Oscar.  Even though I love him.  And I don't think of his as a writer

• Love 1
2 hours ago, bythelake said:

When the clue stated written in 1995, I got Good Will Hunting right away, but of course said Matt Damon, even though I couldn’t think of a thing he’s produced.

Damon has 23 producer credits on IMDB. He produced Manchester By The Sea, Ben's film, and that's one I was thinking of for the producer part of FJ. All the while Ben Affleck never came into mind, even though he teamed with Matt on both.

7 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I wonder if Doug does drag.  Or maybe he's just a big RuPaul fan.

This is why I like Doug. It appears I stand alone in this forum on that view. I have so many LBGTQ friends, I prefer their company. Being flamboyant is just a plus IMO.

2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Yeah, you're sadly right - I'm just tired of it.  I'm probably just being grumpy but IMO you shouldn't go on Jeopardy to do schtick to try to become famous.  Because, you don't need to do that - - just play the game, don't fool around and you can still be talked about. Ken didn't; Julia didn't; I don't even think Arthur Chu did it (I think it was just his board jumping that annoyed me) - and they still got media attention.  Hell, someone on Slate even wrote an article about me - just because I played a good game and my voice reminded her of Lisa Simpson's. 

A thousand times LIKE to this. Even though I like Doug, I agree that less is way more on this show. The names you named are heroes of mine. Being smart is more than enough, without having to announce to the world that you are "the smartest person in the world." TM Austin.

• Love 6

Clint Eastwood was my guess too.  It didn't help that the clue didn't specify what kind of awards -- the answer might have been different if they're talking about the Emmys.

A guest on one of the late night shows recently made fun of Trebek -- either Conan or Seth Meyers, I don't recall which show  The guest put a high-falutin' spin on a fairly common word with a foreign origin and the host ragged on him.  The guy explained he was going for a Trebek pronunciation.

I thought at the time, "I should note this for the PTV fans, they'd get a kick out of it", but I was too lazy, and it was late.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

This is why I like Doug. It appears I stand alone in this forum on that view. I have so many LBGTQ friends, I prefer their company. Being flamboyant is just a plus IMO.

You do not stand alone. We stand together. I mentioned it before but he sounds just like Ross Matthews who began on Jay Leno. Now he has built a career around his personality. We should take a trail ride to celebrate not being alone in our opinions. 

• Love 2

Doug seemed okay the first day, then made a sharp u-turn to annoying. I don't particularly care for"look at me" contestants, I have to admit he's pretty well-rounded, much to my dismay, but he's also become insufferably smug. I thought Kirsten was delightful, but she played atrociously! And today I was rooting for Susan - I loved her look - but Doug outplayed her. Maggie was adorable, but also atrocious. I feel like her story was truncated. She reminded me of that actress from Frasier whose name escapes me...and some other actress. And on a total guess, I got Geneva. 

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

We should take a trail ride to celebrate not being alone in our opinions. 

You have no idea how great that sounds to me. If only ... And if wishes were horses, we'd have plenty of mounts from which to choose! I prefer Saddlebred wishes myself but a nice TB will do.

Today was a windy day so I gave up trying to watch today's show. I'll either watch online to fill in the fragments as the antenna went in and out, or just skip. I did get FJ, amazing as that seems given it's me, but I couldn't come up with any big lake in Germany or France so figured it had to be Switzerland, so Geneva it was. Hey, it pays to look at maps and dream you could go somewhere some day.

39 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

A guest on one of the late night shows recently made fun of Trebek -- either Conan or Seth Meyers, I don't recall which show  The guest put a high-falutin' spin on a fairly common word with a foreign origin and the host ragged on him.  The guy explained he was going for a Trebek pronunciation.

Thanks for the tip. I need to check this out.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

It didn't help that the clue didn't specify what kind of awards -- the answer might have been different if they're talking about the Emmys.

It did specify the clue was Oscar hyphentates and than the clue specified the person was an actor who won for writing and producing and gave the years he won for those.

• Love 1

I am joining Team Doug. I know he's a bit of a hammy douche, but I love me a hammy douche who is straight-up great at the game of Jeopardy. I also enjoyed Austin, at least for a while, so what do I know. But as long as Doug keeps playing well I am okay with it. And I love a great Drag Race reference, too. Maybe if he doesn't know another answer he can write "Who is...Miss Vanjie? Miss Vanjie? Miss.......Vaaanjie?"

Edited by ClareWalks
added fabulous link
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

Clint Eastwood was my guess too.  It didn't help that the clue didn't specify what kind of awards -- the answer might have been different if they're talking about the Emmys.

I thought at the time, "I should note this for the PTV fans, they'd get a kick out of it", but I was too lazy, and it was late.

It was Seth Meyers. He was talking about the proposal and made a joke about Alex pronouncing fiancee with his usual Trebekian flair.

• Love 5

I almost turned off the game.  Doug the Eunuch (I'm talking about his singing parts written for castrated males, not him personally) can't get off my screen soon enough.  I loved Susan's jacket.

I got decoy, The Walking Dead, The Thing, veneer, and bundling.

For FJ I guessed Zurich.  At least I was in the correct country.

1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

It was Seth Meyers.  I forgot to mention it, although I laughed and thought of y'all when he said Trebek liked to "fancify" words.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Being flamboyant is.....

awesome.  Being a flamboyant douche, not so much.

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I mentioned it before but he sounds just like Ross Matthews who began on Jay Leno.

You take that back!  I adore Ross and have since his Leno days.  I'm still pissed he didn't win CBB.  Doug is nothing like Ross.

The above comments are JMO and all that good stuff.  :-)

In FJ news, I somehow managed to pull Geneva out of my arse.

My only plus for putting up with Doug the Douche is that I'm 3/3 in FJ this week.

• Love 9

I said Geneva based on the word "lake" in the clue. And then it felt right, like maybe I used to know where Calvinism came from. 

I don't love Doug, but I do love an Alyssa Edwards reference!

Did anyone else think maybe the other two let Maggie have the Neverland answer? So she could play fj? It was beyond a runaway for Doug by then 

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, Fex said:

I said Geneva based on the word "lake" in the clue. And then it felt right, like maybe I used to know where Calvinism came from.

Did anyone else think maybe the other two let Maggie have the Neverland answer? So she could play fj? It was beyond a runaway for Doug by then 

There also is a Lake Geneva in Wisconsin, not too far from me.

Yes, I thought the players were letting Maggie get an answer so she could play FJ. I felt Doug had stopped playing but wondered why the other woman wasn't buzzing in. But first through third places were pretty locked in so yeah, I think it was a kindness. I'll say "Good for you two" since Trebek has stopped saying it. *drink*

I follow Seth Meyers but stopped looking at his feed since real life has become too much and sometimes I need to ignore things. But I will look up that proposal convo for sure. Thanks for posting about it, everyone who did.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, lb60 said:

You take that back!  I adore Ross and have since his Leno days.  I'm still pissed he didn't win CBB.  Doug is nothing like Ross.

I only meant the sound of his voice. Not his demeanor, looks or genuine adorability. 

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Didn’t he used to write a sex column in one of the NY papers? 

That’s Dan Savage though he is Seattle based and is syndicated, Adam is one of the Mythbusters.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, deemac said:

I'm assuming Doug won.  I got disgusted and just turned the TV off, figured I'd find out here.

Yes, he made it a runaway.

I got decoy and Sinclair Lewis. Like @CarpeDiem54, I mistakenly thought of Zurich for FJ.

Curiously, I liked Doug a bit better after hearing about his being a countertenor. There are great roles for them in Baroque opera, where "trouser roles" for women are also a thing. (I don't know the history behind them, though.)

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I follow Seth Meyers but stopped looking at his feed since real life has become too much and sometimes I need to ignore things. But I will look up that proposal convo for sure. Thanks for posting about it, everyone who did.

Let’s see if I can help. Remember the Seinfeld ep when they were stranded at the party and the way the woman kept pronouncing she had lost her fiancé? That’s how Seth had Alex saying fiancé.

• Love 4

Maggie was a little too precious in the opening, so I couldn’t root for her.  I won’t ever be able to root for Doug, partly because he randomly starts a random category at the damn bottom, and partly because he’s a douche.  So I had to root for end woman tonight, and I loved her look, too.  And I thought her story was pretty cool.

I also think that Doug (heh, Doug starts with the same letters as douche) and end woman let Maggie answer the last clues so she could play in FJ.

Which was another FJ I missed!  That gives me one right for this whole week!  Boo hiss.

I did at least manage to get decoy, spectacle cobra, Kendo, and bundle.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

It did specify the clue was Oscar hyphentates and than the clue specified the person was an actor who won for writing and producing and gave the years he won for those.

Ah, you're right.  Oscar was the Category -- I had fast-forwarded through that and thought the clue wasn't specific enough.

As douchey as Doug is, he knows his stuff.  Especially the snakes, and the martial arts stuff.  I was shocked that no one knew decoy.

• Love 2

Doug reminds me of Mitch on "Modern Family." I like a lot of "big personality " people, but I've never warmed up to people who think they're more adorably clever than anyone else thinks they are. I didn't understand that goofy FJ answer the other day and the whole "This will go viral, just watch" thing. 

Having said that, he is a good player.

The hyphenate question wording didn't throw me off. I never even considered it might mean a hyphenated name. I mean, I didn't get it right, but I interpreted it correctly. 

• Love 7

Decoy was a really surprising TS; I suspect they over-thought it.  Veneers, bundling, and prospectus were a bit surprising, too.

A picture of Khrushchev? Come on.

I was surprised to get all but one (The Walking Dead, the one they all missed) in the TV Kids category.  Overall, though, I didn’t have a great game.  I had no clue on FJ; my answer was, "Don't know, and don't care."  I've been cranky all day.  I'm going to tell myself that's the reason behind my mediocre play.

Doug and Alex cracked me up during Doug's interview.

And add me to the list of those who think the other two contestants let the one in the middle ring in so she could get out of the red and participate in FJ.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8
30 minutes ago, SHD said:

Doug reminds me of Mitch on "Modern Family."

You take that back.  I love Mitchell.

Ugh!  Doug the Douche needs to get off my screen, so I can stop saying, "You take that back. I love <insert name>"

My dislike for Doug went to full-on loathing tonight.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

A picture of Khrushchev? Come on.

I thought that at first, but then figured the young folks these days may not recognize him.

I got decoy, spectacle, and The Thing.

I was way off for FJ. I said Toronto.

Such a runaway isn't a pleasure for me to watch. I got the feeling Doug was slowing down a bit, too, to give the other contestants more of a chance.

• Love 2
On 10/2/2018 at 4:47 PM, ClareWalks said:

In case anyone didn't understand the champ's "backrolls," it was a reference to Alyssa Edwards from season 5 of RuPaul's Drag Race. One of the other queens said Alyssa had rolls all up her back in a two-piece outfit, and they cut to a TH where Alyssa looks to camera and says "...backrolls?!" It was epic. Link to 12-second YouTube clip here

I won't be watching any more until His Smugness and Alex's hard-on for him are gone.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 6

I got spectacle, binding, veneers, and The Thing, the last of which got me excited because I just saw a post on Facebook last week from a baker at the South Pole (who said “I bake for SCIENCE!”) who told us about watching all of The Thing versions before the end of the season. I did guess Zurich, though.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Fex said:

That's pretty much how I figured it out as well.  It was the only European city I could think of with a same-named lake.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, opus said:

Let’s see if I can help. Remember the Seinfeld ep when they were stranded at the party and the way the woman kept pronouncing she had lost her fiancé? That’s how Seth had Alex saying fiancé.

You always can make me laugh. Thanks for the memories. "Maybe the dingo ate your bay-bee." And that was Michael Chiklis's apartment, back when he had hair. (Loved The Shield.) Seth combined with a Seinfeld ep is indeed the best.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4