Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I thought I wasn't going to get any TSs, but finally I got alacrity. I couldn't quite get Adam Lambert's name, only Adam something.

I did get Pygamlion. I wasn't positive, but it sounded like it had something to do with language, so I went with that.

• Love 3

I ran the Queen's Concert category and nearly goose-egged the Queen's Consort category.  I got one - Mary, Queen of Scots.  I know next to nothing about royalty, but I remember the name Mary, Queen of Scots from a very educational program, Monty Python's Flying Circus.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Fex said:

I did a project on George Bernard Shaw in Junior High, so FJ was easy for me. 

Glad they didn't leave five clues on the board again! That was frustrating yesterday.

I haven't read Pygmalion, and saw My Fair Lady years and years ago, but I got it by "hmmm, what play involves Brits and speech?" 2 for 2 so far this week!

• Love 4
7 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Nancy's growing on me.  She got rid of Vincent the Whiner.  GFY!  ?   I liked Courtney, too.

To refresh your memories:  http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/tv/ct-ent-jeopardy-vincent-valenzuela-20180716-story.html

OK, now I remember that weird Carl Sagan answer. I still don't remember anything wrong with the way the board looked though. The article also reminded us that Vincent had to be bleeped out for saying "oh shit." I agree he did not deserve a do-over.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I still don't remember anything wrong with the way the board looked though. T

It was on the board that the viewer saw but that isn’t what the contestants see and for them the T was cut off. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I probably should have gotten escalator, but I tend to associate Otis with elevators, and I just couldn’t make that fit the category.

I think most people do. I got it at least partly because the building I work in has a really old Otis escalator which is constantly breaking down. I've spent some time talking to the guys working on it. They have to order custom specially machined parts for it. The building was built in 1927 as a Sears store. It's now all cut up into offices, but the escalator is still in the center. It must have been really cool when it was new, but now it's mostly kind of annoying.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 6

The key word in the FJ clue was "preface."  Shaw was known for writing long, elaborate prefaces to his plays (just to make sure everybody understood what he was trying to say!), whereas Alan Jay Lerner, who wrote the book and lyrics of My Fair Lady, wasn't.

• Love 4

0/2 on FJ so far this week. D'oh! Swept yesterday's Queen category. Why couldn't there have been a Queen FJ, then I would have gotten it!

It was nice that Nancy didn't go all spazwadden when she won again. That was a refreshing change.

She didn't even smile. She is rather stoic. I prefer that to someone Austin-like, but it's a bit off-putting.

I didn't think Vincent deserved a do-over, either. I didn't notice anything he could whine about this time around, so buh bye.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I definitely was not paying attention when I read this post because I thought it said “I was happy to see that wonderful photo of the crotch!” (Referring to Adam’s tight red leather pants!)

You need to not pay attention more. This is quite funny.

6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It wasn’t on the board that the viewer saw but that isn’t what the contestants see and for them the T was cut off. 

Yes. So if one had to look at the board to see the clue again after Trebek read it, one would have seen HIS not THIS. Vincent had the correct answer crossed out and replaced with a person's name (Sagan) to conform with "HIS."

Y'all are harsh today. To winners AND losers.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

yes. So if one had to look at the board to see the clue again after Trebek read it, one would have seen HIS n

I realized on my quote I said wasn’t when I meant was, so corrected! But thanks for ignoring the typo and explaining my point!

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Fex said:

I did a project on George Bernard Shaw in Junior High, so FJ was easy for me. 

Glad they didn't leave five clues on the board again! That was frustrating yesterday.

I thought GBS was earlier than the 20th century, so I was completely clueless.  Oops.

And I still don't buy the reason for bringing Vincent back since all three contestants see the same clue, don't they?  (It's been 10 years, so maybe the board has changed a lot.)

17 hours ago, GenerationX said:

I ran the Queen's Concert category and nearly goose-egged the Queen's Consort category.  I got one - Mary, Queen of Scots.  I know next to nothing about royalty, but I remember the name Mary, Queen of Scots from a very educational program, Monty Python's Flying Circus.

I ran both, then effed up FJ.

9 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It was on the board that the viewer saw but that isn’t what the contestants see and for them the T was cut off. 

The other contestants got the right answer, though, so I wonder about that.  Of course, if I'd liked him, I probably would've been fine with him coming back.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

The other contestants got the right answer, though, so I wonder about that.  Of course, if I'd liked him, I probably would've been fine with him coming back.

He initially got it right but than crossed ourt tree hugger and changed it to Carl Sagan.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

He initially got it right but than crossed ourt tree hugger and changed it to Carl Sagan.

Like I said, I have my doubts about his story, but admit that I didn't like him and am influenced by that.  I'm not going on and on about it, so I'll let this stand as my last comment on Vincent.  Other than to say, I got both of his missed DDs right.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Like I said, I have my doubts about his story, but admit that I didn't like him and am influenced by that.  I'm not going on and on about it, so I'll let this stand as my last comment on Vincent.  Other than to say, I got both of his missed DDs right.

It’s not his story it’s the Jeoprady judges and producers story.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I thought GBS was earlier than the 20th century, so I was completely clueless.  Oops.

He lived from 1856 to 1950. Most of his best known work was written in 19th or the early part of the 20th century, though, so it's understandable to associate him with an earlier time. He wrote Pygmalion in 1912.

It's fortunate for the Shaw Festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake that he lived so long, because not only are there lots of his plays to choose from, but so many others that fit into that time span.

• Love 3

FJ would have been a heckuva lot easier (and I might even have gotten it!), if I actually read serial mysteries like that.  I absolutely knew which series the clue referenced, but could have stood there for days and days and never come up with the correct response.  Since I don't read that genre (drink!), I get the authors mixed up.  Boo hiss.

However, I seem to be pretty good with clues that reference animals -- I got zebra (crossing), weasel, and ostriches.  I also got the non-animal one of showerhead, which the new champ should have gotten since there was an entire episode of Seinfeld that dealt with low-flow showerheads.

I am over the new champ already.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I am over the new champ already.

Who won?  My station switched to a press conference just before FJ.

I was surprised that today's contestants did so poorly in the video game category.  I didn't know the answers either, but I'm old.

• Love 1
Just now, Browncoat said:

The woman in the middle.

Thank you.  I liked her.  Or rather I liked the way she responded to clues -- she questioned when she wasn't sure, and was matter-of-fact when she was confident. 

I liked all three of today's contestants. 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

I was surprised that today's contestants did so poorly in the video game category.  I didn't know the answers either, but I'm old.

I've played all the games they mentioned except Fortnite, but I knew it was a Battle Royale. 

I wasn't a fan of Nancy so I'm glad Evelyn won. Sure, the Operation category did help, but I don't think those were particularly obscure except maybe the laparoscope and she didn't answer all of the,clues either. 

7 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

If anyone who posts here missed FJ, you haven't been reading this thread. That clue/answer was taken directly from our not-so-long-ago S34 discussion.

I was thinking the same thing. She died at the end of last year and they already had a clue about her specifically her alphabet series of novels. So, it was an instaget for me too. 

• Love 6

Egads!  It's Evelyn the Nodding Dashboard Dog.  When Jordon said his kid was learning three languages, Alex said, "and Chinese, we know why".  No, Alex, we don't know why.  One of Jordon's 14 last names appeared to be Chinese but he didn't look Asian at all.  Was he adopted?  Is he a hipster married to a Chinese woman and he took her last name or what?

I got Zebra (crossing), and I was screaming Monterey but no one heard me.

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

When Jordon said his kid was learning three languages, Alex said, "and Chinese, we know why".  No, Alex, we don't know why.  One of Jordon's 14 last names appeared to be Chinese but he didn't look Asian at all.  Was he adopted?  Is he a hipster married to a Chinese woman and he took her last name or what?

I second that emotion. So irritating. But if I took a drink every time Trebek said something stupid like that or irked me, I would have drunkenly shuffled off this mortal coil a long time ago.

"14 last names" = LOL funny.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6
32 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

If anyone who posts here missed FJ, you haven't been reading this thread. That clue/answer was taken directly from our not-so-long-ago S34 discussion.

I swear I’ve read every post!  I just don’t read those books, and simply couldn’t remember the name.  :(

@CarpeDiem54, word to your entire post, though I thought bobblehead doll....

• Love 5
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I recently looked up Pygmalion. I've been watching "Murdoch Mysteries" (takes place late 19th, early 20th centuries) and there's a character named Henry Higgins. Yet nobody ever mentions Pygmalion. Well, duh...it hasn't been written yet. MM is famous for bringing in famous people of the day - Tesla, Edison, HG Welles, Lucy Maud Montgomery, Theo Roosevelt, etc...I'm just waiting for GBS to show up & be inspired to name his professor after the Constable.

• Love 4

I'm thankful that at least once a week there is a super easy (for me) FJ, so I don't feel like a complete moron. Tonight was the night.

I was barely paying attention to the game, so my only TS was shower head.

1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

One of Jordon's 14 last names.......

Ha! I wonder how long it takes him to sign his name.

• Love 4

I guess I nodded off before the announcer finished saying Jordan's last name, so I missed the Chinese part of it.

I got Monterey, ostriches, and the DD of zebra. I've never read any Grafton, but thanks to Jeopardy! I got it.

Tonight I learned that kidneys are sometimes transplanted into a different place in the body. I also learned the correct way to pronounce Kiribati (cure-e-bas). I had no idea.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

When Jordon said his kid was learning three languages, Alex said, "and Chinese, we know why".  No, Alex, we don't know why.  One of Jordon's 14 last names appeared to be Chinese but he didn't look Asian at all.  Was he adopted?  Is he a hipster married to a Chinese woman and he took her last name or what?

Our hipster friends were critical that we didn't give our child both our names, as they had.  I asked what our kids would do should they get married.  Use all four names, two of which were already weird and unwieldy?

Glad Nancy is gone.  I liked Noddy so managed to let the bobbing go.

Surprised no-one got Monterey.  (Have you guys heard that there's a beluga whale swimming in the River Thames at the moment?)

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Surprised no-one got Monterey.  (Have you guys heard that there's a beluga whale swimming in the River Thames at the moment?)

I was particularly surprised that the English teacher didn't get it, given the solid connection with Steinbeck. Though she did pick Salinas - which was Steinbeck's birthplace and houses the Steinbeck museum - but definitely isn't on the coast.

• Love 2

Thanks to my 12 year old son, I ran the video game category. I actually (embarrassingly) gave a fist pump for Destiny, which is a favorite of his. I even got the older one, Joust, at least partly because of him. It was one of the 80s games featured in Ready Player One, which we both read. Disney Infinity was one of those insidious games where you have to buy physical versions of the characters in order to have them in the game. My son preferred Skylanders, and I don't even want to think about how much money I spent on stupid plastic figures. Of course, now all my money goes to buying items made of game code, but at least they take up less storage space.

I wonder if they would have taken "letters" for the epistles of Paul? FJ was easy and gave me a tiny sniffle remembering that Sue Grafton passed away.

I like the new champ. In addition to the Operation category, she really crushed the music questions, some of which I thought were pretty hard.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Egads!  It's Evelyn the Nodding Dashboard Dog.

Oh how I missed you, CarpeDiem54

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Tonight I learned that kidneys are sometimes transplanted into a different place in the body.

Same hear. FJ was also an instaget from watching Jeopardy! (I haven't previously heard of the novels). #myjeopardyeducation

Other than FJ I didn't too too well. Only one TS: elliptical

• Love 2

Late with this one, but on Tuesday I said Dowager Queen for Queen Mother. Would that have been accepted?

This FJ (Wednesday's) was one I should have known, but instead of thinking of the alphabet mysteries, I was thinking of women writers whose names began with a Z.  There aren't actually that many, at least that I could think of in 30 seconds.

• Love 2

I like the new champion, nodding head notwithstanding.  I knew that would be commented on.

The only ts I wrote down was zebra crossing, and that was a missed dd.

I really liked the longitude category.

Instaget FJ and I remember the discussion we had here about her.  I still haven't read Y.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Oh how I missed you, CarpeDiem54

Why, thank you!  I missed all of my Jeopardy! pals, too.  ?

1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

Late with this one, but on Tuesday I said Dowager Queen for Queen Mother. Would that have been accepted?

I'm not sure.  While she was indeed a Queen Dowager, she never styled herself that way.  I suppose it would depend upon if Alex took a shine to you and how much the judges had been smoking/drinking and if you protested loud enough.  I found this:

"Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother chose to use this style for several reasons:

On the death of her husband, George, there were two Queen Elizabeths. As a widowed Queen Consort, she could have chosen to have been styled Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth - however this would have caused confusion

Queen Mary, the wife of George V was still alive at the time of the death of George VI - and whilst she didn’t style herself as such, she was still entitled to the title Queen Dowager (whilst George VI was alive, Mary had also been entitled to the style Queen Mother, but chose not to style herself this way either).

Given the unusual situation of having two Queen Elizabeths and two Queen Dowagers, usage of the style Queen Mother made a lot of sense."

• Love 4
14 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Egads!  It's Evelyn the Nodding Dashboard Dog.  When Jordon said his kid was learning three languages, Alex said, "and Chinese, we know why".  No, Alex, we don't know why.  One of Jordon's 14 last names appeared to be Chinese but he didn't look Asian at all.  Was he adopted?  Is he a hipster married to a Chinese woman and he took her last name or what?

FJ was an instaget.

Alex may have known why, since he probably had more information on the contestants including alternate interview ideas, but we definitely did not.

12 hours ago, Brookside said:

(Have you guys heard that there's a beluga whale swimming in the River Thames at the moment?)

Wow, that's wild!

12 hours ago, Brookside said:

Surprised no-one got Monterey. 

I'm woefully ignorant of California geography.  I've heard of Monterey, but have no idea where, exactly, it is.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Tonight I learned that kidneys are sometimes transplanted into a different place in the body.

Oh, I know. So freaky! It stopped me so I could ponder whether one could feel that kidney from the outside. And if I got kicked in the leg, would I have been kicked in the kidney? I missed a couple clues while thinking on this.

14 hours ago, Brookside said:

Surprised no-one got Monterey. 

Hey, I did! *waves hand*

14 hours ago, lb60 said:

my only TS was shower head.

I got that one too, thank you very much Seinfeld episode. If the writers concentrate on Seinfeld eps instead of Hamilton this season, I'm golden.

14 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I swear the was a very similar Sue Grafton question last season!

There was. Which is why we had an extended conversation here about Grafton last season. Mystery Author knew her personally.

16 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

It's Evelyn the Nodding Dashboard Dog.

If one doesn't look at the tv during the game, one misses a lot. Thankfully I did not see the head bobbing so the new champ is fine with me.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I got that one too, thank you very much Seinfeld episode. If the writers concentrate on Seinfeld eps instead of Hamilton this season, I'm golden.

Do you skip the player interviews, or did you see Evelyn talking about being a huge Seinfeld fan yesterday?

• Love 3