Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

17 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

For some reason I don't think that should have been a BMS. Andrew gave just the first name, apparently thinking it was the last name, so he was wrong.

I agree.  If he said "Thompson", I could see a BMS, as it could have been Kit Thompson or something, but it sounded like he thought Hunter was the last name.  And I was surprised they accepted "The Mooch" for that one.

• Love 8

Marathoning a few weeks of Jeopardy is a bit overwhelming - almost as overwhelming as having to catch up on this thread! 

I will always remember Avogadro's number/mole because my high school chemistry teacher offered a tiny bit of extra credit if people made a mole (the animal). I was cheap and stuffed mine with dry lima beans. Bad decision! 

• Love 6

I had Taft and Vince Vaughn for TS.  I guessed Emma on FJ.

The stage lights must have really bothered middle guy.

The one General Hospital guy broke character when the clue kicked in.  That was the best way to deliver it.  The others all just reminded me why I ... can't ... ... stand ... ... ... ... soap operas.

• Love 3

For a variety of reasons, I haven't seen the show in eons other than some scattered episodes, but I hope my schedule will now put me in a position where I'll once again regularly watch episodes (other than Monday and Thursday, for now, because of football).  Tonight I pretty much only saw FJ, and I was, after all this time removed, rather surprised to see it be a TS.  "World" authors (meaning rule out Americans and Western Europeans, because of the typical bias) + the release date + "about a woman" as the sole descriptor (meaning her name pretty much has to be in the title) = Anna Karenina. 

That an individual contestant didn't follow the same logical path, no bother.  But that none of the three got there?  I'm surprised, and a little sad - I read 90% nonfiction, so most of the novels I know are classics.  If I can put the clues together on this one, at least one contestant should also be able to, and the fact none could makes me sad the basics of literature are fading away.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

If I can put the clues together on this one, at least one contestant should also be able to, and the fact none could makes me sad the basics of literature are fading away.

I feel you, but this happens in all areas of popular culture. The young'uns today don't know older movies either. It's all "before your time" to them, unless one has an unusual interest. Otherwise, it's all Star Wars and super heros. I've been trying to introduce my son to sci-fi classics, both fiction and movies. Sometimes he's bored, but I do occasionally get a "hey, that was pretty good." His English teachers have been helpful, too. This year they're reading Farenheit 451. 

• Love 5

I got Taft, Miles Davis, and clock, but completely blanked on FJ. 

Loved the “Watch it”, hated the slowness of the GH category, figured three guys would avoid the Nancy Drew category. Can’t believe they took The Mooch.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I agree.  If he said "Thompson", I could see a BMS, as it could have been Kit Thompson or something, but it sounded like he thought Hunter was the last name.

I had no problem with the lack of BMS for "Hunter."  Apart from a small number of exceptions, like Elvis or Madonna, first names alone have never been acceptable responses.

I got Anna Karenina very quickly, and thought it was rather obvious.  In addition to the date, being long, and being about a woman, I've often heard it called one of the greatest novels ever written.  Never read it myself, so I can't judge.  Actually, I've never read any of the Russians.  Maybe I should rectify that.

I hated the General Hospital category, and I'm glad they issued the correction on the Twins clue, because I had no idea how you were supposed to determine which kind of twin they wanted.  In fact, I said "What are fraternal and identical twins?"  After all, the clue mentioned both kinds, so why would the response not require you to say both kinds?

Even though I'm a guy, I loved the Nancy Drew books when I was a kid.  I rocked that category, and I'm glad that they got through all of the clues.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Here's the twin clue:

So it was asking for the monozygotic name, identical.

The quote didn't come along with your quote - so here it is again:

It's all coming back to me now, I'm a twin, but dizygotic or monozygotic, also known as this type"

I can see now that they intended the answer to be "identical" (mono), but it was poorly written. The reference is muddy at best.  It should have been written more like "I'm a twin, not dizygotic, but monozygotic, also known as this type."

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 14
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

The quote didn't come along with your quote - so here it is again:

I can see now that they intended the answer to be "identical" (mono), but it was poorly written. The reference is muddy at best.  It should have been written more like "I'm a twin, not dizygotic, but monozygotic, also known as this type."

You're hired!

Seriously. You would write better clues than half the writing staff.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, GenerationX said:

I had Taft and Vince Vaughn for TS.  I guessed Emma on FJ.

The stage lights must have really bothered middle guy.

The one General Hospital guy broke character when the clue kicked in.  That was the best way to deliver it.  The others all just reminded me why I ... can't ... ... stand ... ... ... ... soap operas.

I hate those soap opera categories.  So awful.  Not funny.  Just ads for the network. 

• Love 4
Just now, DrSpaceman73 said:

I hate those soap opera categories.  So awful.  Not funny.  Just ads for the network

It'd be one thing if Alex had said "In honor of such-and-such soap opera's 50th year or 20,000th episode....", then you could understand why they are forcing the soap actors on us. But for no reason???

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, illdoc said:

It'd be one thing if Alex had said "In honor of such-and-such soap opera's 50th year or 20,000th episode....", then you could understand why they are forcing the soap actors on us. But for no reason???

That, and those overly long dramatic pauses eat up time.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I hate those soap opera categories.  So awful.  Not funny.  Just ads for the network. 

Jeopardy! is syndicated -- on a different network in different cities. There must be some other form of compensation involved.

• Love 1
On 9/15/2018 at 1:37 PM, lb60 said:

Off the top of my head, I don't remember seeing Toothbrush or Mystery Author, since the new season started.  Also, teebax has only popped in maybe one time.  Hmmmm, do I sound like a stalker?  :-/

I'm here!

Spent Monday afternoon binging on J! while nursing a concussion. Clues must be getting easier, because even in my concussed state I did really well. Missed a total of 1.5 games due to SCOTUS testimony & the Cosby verdict, and was annoyed until I read here that I missed a marriage proposal. Archie, my parents' catahoula, is still butt hurt about the TS. 

• Love 6
On ‎09‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 2:43 PM, Kimmmmmm said:

WHEN, OH, WHEN are they going to make him cut that the hell out?!?!?!?!?!

For the sake of the sanity of various posters, it would be best to assume "never" is the answer to that question.

On ‎09‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:30 PM, Sharpie66 said:

Just binged the last three eps. Hated the proposal, liked both the champs, got Kavanaugh testimony instead of Thursday’s ep (thank you, YT!). Answers: 

DD-Zebra crossing, Monterey, FJ-guessed Zelda Fitzgerald, way wrong! Got hung up on the idea that “Z” was part of the first name.

The queen, Electricity, Lafayette, Sweden, Monday Night Football, CS Lewis, FJ-Alamo

Zzz, Microwave, DD-Stockholm, John Irving, DD-Julius Caesar, FJ-The Godfather

I did get Zebra (and pronounced it the British way), didn't get Monterey, did get FJ

Got all of those

Didn't get John Irving - at least not beyond "John, John, oh that John guy"

18 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

And yea, what was with Carl's head tilt....maybe he wore contact lenses?

Maybe some kind of progressive lenses?  Do they do that with contacts?  I figured it was a vision-related issue.

The twin clue:

"It's all coming back to me now, I'm a twin, but dizygotic or monozygotic, also known as this type"

The use of both types in the clue confused the hell out of me because it makes it sound like dizygotic and monozygotic are the same thing, so I don't blame them for giving the guy credit for his answer.

• Love 8
16 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Here's the twin clue:

It's all coming back to me now, I'm a twin, but dizygotic or monozygotic, also known as this type

So it was asking for the monozygotic name, identical.

Even written, it confuses me.  It was phrased poorly and read even more poorly.

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

"World" authors (meaning rule out Americans and Western Europeans, because of the typical bias) + the release date + "about a woman" as the sole descriptor (meaning her name pretty much has to be in the title) = Anna Karenina. 

I generally define "world authors" as non-American and didn't write in English.  Hence my answer of Madame Bovary.  (I'm guessing Flaubert wrote it in French.)  Tolstoy did occur to me, but no one's name is in War and Peace; I never even thought of Anna Karenina.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

The twin clue:

"It's all coming back to me now, I'm a twin, but dizygotic or monozygotic, also known as this type"

The use of both types in the clue confused the hell out of me because it makes it sound like dizygotic and monozygotic are the same thing, so I don't blame them for giving the guy credit for his answer.

I'm still confused.  Can anyone explain in "for dummies" language what they were going for?  What was the category?  Did that give some additional clue?

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Can anyone explain in "for dummies" language what they were going for?

The "also known as this type" was referring to "monozygotic". So, they wanted to know what type of twin (fraternal or identical) monozygotic was (identical, if you didn't know).

• Love 1
5 hours ago, secnarf said:

You're hired!

Seriously. You would write better clues than half the writing staff.

It would have my dream job - the wonderful combination of trivia, research, and writing. But I never quite realized it was a job, and wouldn't have known how to go after it if I did.

• Love 3

I wasn't on the Doug-dislike train last night, but I am now. I could overlook the podium leaning, and Alex did put him on the spot with that "Who's the smartest in your family?" question. But what on earth was that nonsense with his FJ answer? He might as well have answered "Turd Ferguson." What's the opposite of "go viral?" That's what I hope happens to his little stunt. I was annoyed when his score passed Cody's. 

Of the TS's, I got nostalgia, Charlotte Amalie, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Canasta (total guess), and Liberty. I had no idea what FJ was going for. Like Kirsten, I thought they were going for an actor with a hyphenated name. All I could think of was Billy Bob Thornton, although I was pretty sure 1) he never hyphenated his two first names; and 2) Sling Blade was earlier than 1997 and he didn't produce a movie in 2012.

• Love 12

What was up with the pronunciation of “Portuguese primer”? I thought they were talking about introductory texts (“primmer”), not coats of paint (“prymer”). Please don’t tell me the nuns taught me wrong!

• Love 3

I am still beyond confused. Can someone explain to me how Ben Affleck works with the category "Oscar Hyphenates?" I was trying to think of...ya know...HYPHENATED NAMES. 

In case anyone didn't understand the champ's "backrolls," it was a reference to Alyssa Edwards from season 5 of RuPaul's Drag Race. One of the other queens said Alyssa had rolls all up her back in a two-piece outfit, and they cut to a TH where Alyssa looks to camera and says "...backrolls?!" It was epic. Link to 12-second YouTube clip here

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I am still beyond confused. Can someone explain to me how Ben Affleck works with the category "Oscar Hyphenates?" I was trying to think of...ya know...HYPHENATED NAMES. 

In case anyone didn't understand the champ's "backrolls," it was a reference to Alyssa Edwards from season 5 of RuPaul's Drag Race. One of the other queens said Alyssa had rolls all up her back in a two-piece outfit, and they cut to a TH where Alyssa looks to camera and says "...backrolls?!" It was epic. Link to 12-second YouTube clip here

Thank you for explaining that, because I had no clue and figured it must be because I'm old and outta touch.

Maybe I can help you in return. In "the biz" (showbiz), a hyphenate is anyone who is known for doing multiple jobs. Actor-producer, for example. And Ben Affleck qualifies. 

• Love 13
8 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Can someone explain to me how Ben Affleck works with the category "Oscar Hyphenates?

Actor-director-producer-writer.  In fact, it took me a few hours to figure out why she said "Day-Lewis"---it's a hyphenated name! I thought it was obvious "Oscar hyphenates" was going to be about some actor-writer, writer-director, etc (although usually it's with a slash (actor/writer) and not a hyphen).

• Love 5

OMG, was Doug this obnoxious yesterday? I only saw FJ yesterday and he didn't seem too awful, but today was the worst. He makes me long for Austin or Buzzy. At least I got Ben Affleck, so I'm officially "smarter" than him. (I always feel superior if I get FJ and none of the contestants do.) Also got One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Liberty.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 8

Yay!  I knew it was Ben Affleck....but at first, I admit to being confused, thinking they wanted a hyphenated name.  And don't know whether to chuckle or roll my eyes over the Winner declaring he was going viral :)

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I got Ben Affleck instantly - and then wondered what they meant by 'hyphenate' if not a hyphenated name. So I googled it, and came up with two definitions of 'hyphenate' - one is a verb (example given is to hyphenate a surname) and the second definition was a noun: a person who is active in more than one occupation or sphere (example: as a supreme hyphenate, she was prepared to carry a heavy load as the director-producer-star of her new film). And then it made more sense to me. But I knew without a doubt it was Ben Affleck and was a bit surprised all three missed it!

I laughed pretty hard at Kirsten's story - how embarrassing! I certainly wouldn't admit that on TV.

I also thought a BMS was needed for St Francis - there are multiple, and the clue specifically referred to St Francis of Assisi.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I got Ben Affleck instantly - and then wondered what they meant by 'hyphenate' if not a hyphenated name. So I googled it, and came up with two definitions of 'hyphenate' - one is a verb (example given is to hyphenate a surname) and the second definition was a noun: a person who is active in more than one occupation or sphere (example: as a supreme hyphenate, she was prepared to carry a heavy load as the director-producer-star of her new film). And then it made more sense to me. But I knew without a doubt it was Ben Affleck and was a bit surprised all three missed it!

I laughed pretty hard at Kirsten's story - how embarrassing! I certainly wouldn't admit that on TV.

I also thought a BMS was needed for St Francis - there are multiple, and the clue specifically referred to St Francis of Assisi.

Thanks secnarf for mentioning the St. Francis clue...I thought they should have asked for the rest of his name...St. Francis of Assisi is the patron saint of animals...

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, rubaco said:

Maybe I can help you in return. In "the biz" (showbiz), a hyphenate is anyone who is known for doing multiple jobs. Actor-producer, for example. And Ben Affleck qualifies. 

OHHHHHH. I know what that kind of hyphenate is, but I had absolutely no idea that's what they meant by that. They didn't use that in the actual clue, which would have helped. The cluewriters have been absolutely awful lately, though. Every single day for the last week, it seems like there's been at least one clue that is so badly worded that the contestants can't figure out WTF they want.

• Love 11
9 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Thanks secnarf for mentioning the St. Francis clue...I thought they should have asked for the rest of his name...St. Francis of Assisi is the patron saint of animals...

Yes and as opposed to, for instance, St. Francis Xavier. When the current Pope Francis took his name he had to make it clear which one he was taking the name from and I forget which one it was. SFX was the founder of the Jesuit order while SFA was a gentle animal lover (or so the story goes). The Pope did break with centuries of teaching when he answered a child's question: "Of course animals go to heaven! Why wouldn't they? They are also God's creatures."

Ben Affleck's name at birth was "Affleck-Boldt" which is where the hyphenate comes from. I had no idea. I thought the category for him should have been "Actors Who Will Never Win an Oscar for Acting".

Edited by Tabasco Cat
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I got Ben Affleck. Thanks for the clarification on the hyphenate. It's been a long day. 

1 minute ago, Tabasco Cat said:

Yes and as opposed to, for instance, St. Francis Xavier. When the current Pope Francis took his name he had to make it clear which one he was taking the name from and I forget which one it was. SFX was the founder of the Jesuit order while SFA was a gentle animal lover (or so the story goes). The Pope did break with centuries of teaching when he answered a child's question: "Of course animals go to heaven? Why wouldn't they? They are also God's creatures."

My high school was run by Xaverian brothers so I thought it should have been a BMS too. Pope Francis took the name for St. Francis of Assisi. Pope Francis also said that atheists could potentially go to heaven 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I've already forgotten what her story was so she won't be embarrassed if she ever comes to my house.

9 minutes ago, Tabasco Cat said:

When the current Pope Francis took his name he had to make it clear which one he was taking the name from and I forget which one it was.

I guess he didn't make it THAT clear then.

49 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

What was up with the pronunciation of “Portuguese primer”?

I wish my friend in Lisbon would watch this episode because I'm pretty sure Trebek was NOT pronouncing anything correctly, starting with "primer."

33 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Oh just stop it current champ. You need to be interesting for people to pay attention and go viral. 

Oh, I don't know. I can't even count how many times that blasted proposal has been posted online and played on local and national news. I'd rather see Doug do a rollback than that bogus "we're so in lurve" stuff. And months later, I'm still seeing Austin's face mugging and miming for the camera. Some things never die.

1 hour ago, opus said:

Sorry if that anguished scream startled anyone. It was because I had Ben Affleck but switched to Matt Damon.

I was so PUMPED because I got another FJ right. It was so obviously MATT DAMON. Heh. I totally forgot about his Good Will partner Ben. *sigh*

On the bright side, I had no problem with knowing what writers meant by "hyphenate." Although I can see why the one player wrote "Day-Lewis." Trebek didn't need to rank on her for that answer though. He's such a ... (fill in the blank).

• Love 8

What a craptastic game!  Doug has decided he's Austin 2.0, I got no TS, and for FJ I confidently answered Daniel Day-Lewis.

Boo hiss!

Oh, wait!  Maybe Doug the Douche is a hyphenate.  He's an Austin-Buzzy.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
I'm stabby!
  • Love 10

Boy, I did not do well today. Only got One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest and guessed Ron Howard for FJ. Capped off a crappy day by spilling my freshly-poured Diet Coke all over my end table as FJ started. Ugh!!

• Love 4

Dammit Cody, you almost had it!

The thing about viral is you don't get to decide that you will go viral; the public determines that, and they typically actively reject those who declare they will go viral and god I cannot stand Doug.

I got no TS and completely blanked on FJ. At least dictionary.com let me know an additional definition of "hyphenate". #myjeopardyeducation

• Love 4

Thanks for nothing, Cody.  I was counting on you to kick Doug the Douche off my television.

Hey, Doug.  You're a douche.

Hey, Doug.  Guess who got FJ?  Me, that's who. Not you, me, me, me!!!!!!!  Did I mention you're a douche?  

I also got One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

It's really hard to concentrate when one of the jeptestants bugs the hell out of me.

In local news, Trebek (for some reason) moderated the PA Governor's Debate last night.  He got booed.  lol Shockingly, he spent more time talking about himself than he did actually moderating. 

Edited by lb60
  • Love 11
50 minutes ago, Tabasco Cat said:

Ben Affleck's name at birth was "Affleck-Boldt" which is where the hyphenate comes from. I had no idea. I thought the category for him should have been "Actors Who Will Never Win an Oscar for Acting".

Or the category "Ugh, THAT Guy" ;)

• Love 4

I haven't posted much because my schedule is kicking my rear, but I needed to log on simply to say Doug is my first hated contestant this season. I thought maybe we'd gotten past the show boating, but I was so wrong.

The proposal didn't even bother me since I received one myself last week and was still pretty pleased about it, even though I said no...well, I said not now but probably later. 

I haven't been writing anything down but FJ was an instaget. I could see the confusion though about hyphenated. 

Edited by teebax
  • Love 8

I had One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Charlotte-Amalie and ran the Weird Al category.  I'm not sure if they were looking for singers or artists, which may explain why they accepted "Huey Lewis" without "and the News" and "Joan Jett" without "and the Blackhearts".  Speaking of which, the original version of I Love Rock 'n' Roll was actually by the Arrows.

Edited by GenerationX
  • Love 3

I almost got FJ, but couldn’t figure out where the hyphen came in.  I actually had to rewind and re-read the clue to figure it out.  Unfortunately, I did not write down Ben Affleck, though I did think of him.  Boo, hiss.

I was rooting so hard for Cody to win!  I despise Doug.  I didn’t much like him last night, but tonight he was extra crispy bad.  

I only got Charlotte Amalie and One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest for TS.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, secnarf said:

Her story reminded of a friend of mine.  She once sat in the bar at a major cricket (test) match, and happily passed a couple of hours chatting away with the guy sitting next to her, totally oblivious as to who he was.  Turns out it was Mick Jagger.

Back to the game, I got nostalgia and Zori.

SoMuchTv, Both "prymer" and "primmer" are acceptable pronounciations in that context.

Another one who didn't understand FJ, but then I prefer not to think about Ben Affleck, so maybe it was just my brain doing me a favour.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 4

I'm with y'all on disliking Doug's antics. I was so hoping Cody would prevail.

I got One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (seemed easy), zorie (which I remember from my school days in the 70's), and Duchamp. I also got Ben Affleck.

I wish I could have seen Tim Curry as Mozart. What a kick that would have been.

• Love 4

I was a little surprised FJ was a TS, and really surprised when I got here and saw so many people confused by the hyphenate part of the category.  I guess that's what happened to the contestants?  Certainly to the one who guessed Daniel Day-Lewis. 

I got Ben Affleck quickly; during the commercial break, he's one of those who came to me while going through my mental list of Oscar-winning hyphenates (because I never thought of people with hyphenated names, but of actor-director-writers and such), so once the clue was read he was easily the one who fit given the years.

My best friend called about half an hour before the show started, and we hadn't talked in a while, so I didn't say, "Time for Jeopardy!, gotta go" when it began, so I only saw the end of the first round (the Weird Al category, which I ran - and the contestant should have had to actually say ... and the News rather than just saying Huey Lewis and Alex filling in the rest of the band name) and then DJ and FJ.

The zygote clue was overvalued as a DJ DD.  At least it wasn't the zucchini clue.  Speaking of overvalued, the entire dry category should have been in the first round; those were too simple for DJ.

No one knowing who did Nude Descending a Staircase surprised me, because I have only a rudimentary knowledge of art (one of these days, I'm going to take an art history class, since I never got around to it in college), so if I know it, I expect at least one of three people preparing for this show to know it.  I didn't know either of the other two TS in that category, though.  (Although once Rococo was revealed, I thought, "You know, I think maybe I knew that."  So, give me 15 minutes, and I'd have probably spit it out.)

I didn't know canasta or the Virgin Islands city (I'd never even heard of it, so I've already forgotten it), either, but other than that I nailed DJ.  I'll have to check the archive to see how I'd have done in the first round.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2