Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Fex said:

The enthusiastic cheery way he said "Holocaust" made me cringe.

You gotta be enthusiastic on game shows!

For FJ I thought sapphire, but couldn't connect it to a country.  Then I thought turquoise in time so I would have got it.  Surprised the contestants all missed itl

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Another Herman Wouk question that was a TS! He's a famous (well, maybe not so much now) alumnus of the high school where I teach, so I see a shelf of his books at every meeting in the school library. So I knew War and Remembrance, plus Segovia and Robert Goddard.

I thought it was going to be something like From Here to Eternity, but that was written by that other WWII author.

Here's something wild: per Wikipedia, Herman Wouk is still alive at age 103.  He is described as reclusive, but is presumably still alive.

• Love 7

Sorry to see Kyle go, but he had a good run.  Rob needs to knock off the swaying but otherwise seems okay.  Dino needed to use his indoor voice and not take fashion advice from Colby of the Gigantic Suit Coats.

Two GFY's.  Drink!  ???

I got Roundheads and War and Remembrance.

FJ was an instaget.  Yay for me!  Ha!

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Trey said:

I really have no complaints about Kyle but I think it's time for him to move along now.

Someone got their wish.

50 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Rob with his crazy buzzer antics in the first part and then all the swaying in the second kinda bugged me.  I initially wanted to root for Dino, and hope his home in Fayetteville is okay, but he has problems using his inside voice.  

I was seriously laughing at Rob because he kept looking at the buzzer like he thought it was broken. 

Dino certainly was enthusiastic and loud, to the point of annoying me.  

3 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

.....not take fashion advice from Colby of the Gigantic Suit Coats.

lol and damn, you beat me to it. That coat needed help.

I thought FJ was ridiculously easy, which is why I got it right.

I'll miss Kyle.  

Not sure about Rob yet. I'll give him one more game to get control of the buzzer and swaying.  I'm generous like that.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Mind you, I had no idea what country “azure” might refer to, but it was all I had!

I think it's right next to the country associated with sapphire, which was my guess.

I didn't get a good initial vibe from Rob but ended up liking him very much.

Hours later, I just now got the joke for the Friends answer.

• Love 7

I was gone for today's game, but looked up FJ and saw today was Kyle's last day. I've not posted a single word about him after his first win so as not to jinx him because he is one of my very favorite contestants ever. At least I'll see him again in ToC, so there's that. It's saying something when someone lasts seven games and isn't obnoxious or smarty pants or resorts to dancing and miming. Plus he always looked nice, tie or no tie, and was a gentleman. And smart. All that together is amazing in my book.

FJ was a given since that is my birth stone plus I collect turquoise jewelry. Whenever I'm in Arizona, that's all I shop for in towns, trading posts and in Navajo Nation. I'm obsessed with it. I also make jewelry so have a bin full of turquoise. I do know it comes from Asia in different grades since I purchase the stones through dealers. But I like me some good old Native American southwestern U.S.A. turquoise the best.

Just because I knew FJ doesn't mean anyone else should so I cut slack to all three players today. If they knew all that is in my brain, they never would have been accepted as J! contestants. So: Good (and lucky) For Them. *drink*

I have to watch today's episode to see where Catahoula came in. Not the infamous Catahoula Cow Hog Dog? I'll find out!

ETA: Herman Wouk is one of my favorite authors. I LOVE his books. My mom got them through her book club, and I read them all, even though I was too young to be doing that.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7

I would bet that the Azure guess was aimed at Azerbaijan.

The contestants were all inoffensive today, though I was a little worried about the new champ in the first few minutes with all the exaggerated "buzzer not working" gestures.  He was fine by the end.

The only vote about facial hair that matters is the wife's vote.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Fex said:

I thought of turquoise instantly, and it's one of those things that are obviously right once you think of it. I was surprised no contestants got it, but I can see how you might not think of turquoise right away when you think gems, because it's opaque.

Yes, maybe that's why I don't think of turquoise as a gem. I came up with sapphire. Maybe the wine tonight made me forget about the country part of the clue.

2 hours ago, Roaster said:

Here's something wild: per Wikipedia, Herman Wouk is still alive at age 103.  He is described as reclusive, but is presumably still alive.

I saw him interviewed on CBS Sunday Morning last year and was struck by how sharp he was. Here's the video.

Anyway, the only TS I got was Naked Lunch. Instead of Roundheads I said Roundtops. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Fex said:

I thought of turquoise instantly, and it's one of those things that are obviously right once you think of it. I was surprised no contestants got it, but I can see how you might not think of turquoise right away when you think gems, because it's opaque.

I never think of turquoise as a gem. I got there from the Eurasian part of the clue - as Turkey is both in Europe and Asia (and we were posted there when I was a kid)

2 hours ago, Roaster said:

I thought it was going to be something like From Here to Eternity, but that was written by that other WWII author.

Wow, that's impressive. I read the Winds of War and War and Remembrance, but I just couldn't get it out of my brain and into my mouth.

47 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

FJ was a given since that is my birth stone plus I collect turquoise jewelry. Whenever I'm in Arizona, that's all I shop for in towns, trading posts and in Navajo Nation. I'm obsessed with it. I also make jewelry so have a bin full of turquoise. I do know it comes from Asia in different grades since I purchase the stones through dealers. But I like me some good old Native American southwestern U.S.A. turquoise the best.

It's my birthstone too, and I hate it (different strokes). I far prefer the alternate - Zircon. I like shiny, what can I say?

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I like shiny, what can I say?

"Oooh, look at all these beads, how they shine. Want to trade your island for them? Deal? Deal!"

16 hours ago, Roaster said:

I'm reclusive and I'm not anywhere near 103. I can respect him for that! But good to know he's still alive. May he stay that way.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5

I forgot about this so got to the FB draft page just as it finished. Can't find the teams listed anywhere. If anyone knows, please post since it's old news now. Nothing on Ken Jennings' or Alex Jacobs' Twitter accounts. Or jeopardy.com.

Edited by saber5055
12 minutes ago, Trey said:

Are there results posted somewhere?

Team Colby: Pam Mueller and Alan Lin

Team Buzzy: Alex Jacob and Jennifer Giles

Team Julia: Ben Ingram and Seth Wilson

Team Ken: Matt Jackson and Monica Thieu

Team Austin: Roger Craig and Leonard Copper

Team Brad: Larissa Kelly and David Madden

you can also watch the whole thing on jeopardys facebook page if you want too.

Edited by SuperCam1
  • Love 3

Thanks SuperCam. The FB video won't play for me, OF COURSE. Looks like captains picked in order of least money won to most, correct? I would have picked Alex, Matt and Alan ... except I couldn't have three players. (Except I need them.)

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Thanks SuperCam. The FB video won't play for me, OF COURSE. Looks like captains picked in order of least money won to most, correct? I would have picked Alex, Matt and Alan ... except I couldn't have three players. (Except I need them.)

captains picked an evelope and in the evelope was numbers and captains picked in order on the numbers they got.

• Love 3

this ghost would have smashed it to smithereens and pulled out the classic stand by, the ouiji board. Although it is an interesting book plot device ... as long as the reader never tried to use one.

I had no problems with my Etch-a-Sketch, but then I mostly did drawings (cats, bunnies, horses, a cartoon Superme). My book character was a Vaudeville ghost who was -- oops -- sawed in half by her magician husband (and sewed back together by Betsy Ross). Strange you should mention a ouiji board since that was the device used to call her down to earth...to help solve a murder. Anyway...

I didn't get the 'Friends' joke---still haven't---but then I didn't watch the show.

I think it helps if you watch the show.

Mr. Author got turquoise. We are now even on FJ, so we are splitting the cost of tonight's dinner. I insisted on Chinese food since I missed Buddha!

OTOH, I wonder if they would have given me credit for ‎Siddhartha Gautama (hah!)

• Love 3
18 hours ago, SHD said:

Hours later, I just now got the joke for the Friends answer.

I didn't have a clue it was a joke. But I've never seen any episodes of Friends so what do I know.

I got the TS of Segovia; surprised no one else here did. Or said they did anyway. Also got War and Remembrance.

To the poster who asked how Trebek pronounced turquoise, he said it the American way: tur-koise.

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I really don't care at all about this team competition.  Don't even think I will watch. 

I'm pumped about it. It occurred to me that I don't know a fraction of the players having never seen them before. Yes, most were Before My Time, including Ken Jennings. I used to listen to Jeopardy on my radio at work when stations were analog but never knew who any of the players were, I just listened to the clues/answers and paid no attention to names or winners. So nearly all of these brainiacs will be new to me. Looking forward to it. I love me some smart people.

1 hour ago, Mystery Author said:

I had no problems with my Etch-a-Sketch

It occurred to me that ectoplasmic hands would have better control over Etch-A-Sketch knobs than human ones so yeah, a ghost could use that infernal contraption toy to communication. I guess.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Mystery Author said:

I didn't get the 'Friends' joke---still haven't---but then I didn't watch the show

The character speaking the line was Chandler ("handle is the middle of my first name")

• Love 5
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I got the TS of Segovia; surprised no one else here did. Or said they did anyway. Also got War and Remembrance.

I got Segovia also, but I spent a semester in Spain. As for War and Remembrance, I know the miniseries aired when I was a kid but I don't remember it. I was nine so I was likely too young to watch anyway. 

I got Turquoise as soon as I saw Eurasia. Given Turkey being in both continents, I thought of it first and the gem followed soon after. 

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I dated guitar players in college. Not as cool as studying in Spain though.

Reminds me of a line from your favorite show Friends 

[when Joey asks why Chandler's friend is called Gandalf]

Chandler: Didn't you read Lord of the Rings in high school? 

Joey: No. I had sex in high school.

• Love 10

I, too, got Segovia. I remember reading an article about him where the author was asked by Segovia if he wanted to play the guitar. The writer did, indeed, play for Segovia, who then told him he (Segovia) could tell that he (writer) had clipped his fingernails, but not filed them.  I'm not sure I would like to have an ear *that* sensitive.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I got the TS of Segovia; surprised no one else here did. Or said they did anyway.

Like Browncoat, I knew him but couldn't recall the name. This happens so much to me (and to others it seems) that there should be an abbreviation for it. KICR? (Knew It Couldn't Remember/Recall) Any suggestions?

To the poster who asked how Trebek pronounced turquoise, he said it the American way: tur-koise.

How else would it be said?

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Like Browncoat, I knew him but couldn't recall the name. This happens so much to me (and to others it seems) that there should be an abbreviation for it. KICR? (Knew It Couldn't Remember/Recall) Any suggestions?

How else would it be said?

Some people say it with a more pronounced "u" sound, like tur-kuwoise. Also, it's the kind of word that Alex might be tempted to Frenchify in some horrible way, so it was nice that he went with the ordinary American pronunciation.

I also "knew" Segovia, could see him in my mind and couldn't make his name come up. It's similar to the "Hey, it's that guy" syndrome -  when you see an actor and you know who it is, but you can't think of their name. "You know, that guy. He was in that show."

• Love 3

I have always pronounced it tur kwoise.

One more who knew Segovia but couldn't pull his name out of the recess of my mind, or any other place.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I like yours. KICR (pronounced kicker, maybe).

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm not sure I would like to have an ear *that* sensitive.

Great story; thanks. Such a sensitive ear has to be kind of a curse though. Imagine watching these competition tv shows where contestants play the guitar. I guess the solution to that is, don't watch.

1 hour ago, Kathira said:

I also "knew" Segovia, could see him in my mind and couldn't make his name come up.

Wow to you people who know what Segovia looks like. It's good Jeopardy didn't show his photo (Ore-Ida!) or I wouldn't have been able to answer. Well, except for "it's THAT guy!"

• Love 2

OK, I take back that I knew what Andres Segovia looked like. It was Picasso's "The Old Guitarist" that I "saw" in my mind. For some reason, I always associate him with that painting. If they had shown it, I would have said Segovia!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Tip of My Tongue, TOMT?

• Love 2

I got Segovia immediately because I saw him in concert when I was a senior in high school. I was drafted to drive the nuns who taught at the Catholic school I attended and got free admittance as a result. After intermission when Segovia started playing again, a patron entered late and started toward his seat. Segovia stopped playing, had the lights turned up, and waited until the patron was seated before starting again. I was impressed that he demanded respect, he certainly deserved it.

Also got turquoise: my daughter and her husband are stationed with the embassy in Turkey and turquoise immediately came to mind. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Almost Had, Couldn't Remember Any Particulars ---AH CRAP

• Love 16

Just binged to get caught up—four eps in 65 minutes. My notes: 

Tuesday: 

Hershey

Volstead Act

FJ-Wile. E. Coyote

Wednesday:

Rothschild 

La Scala

Order of the Garter

Priestly

Elvis

FJ-Patrick Henry

Thursday:

MacArthur 

(Loved the inclusion of Sargent’s Madame X! Saw it at a Sargent exhibition at the Art Institute in Chicago back in college, and it is stunning in person.)

DD-Surfer

Bering Sea

FJ-no idea

Friday:

Roundheads

Naked Lunch

War and Remembrance

Goddard

FJ-lapis lazuli-wrong!

So, 3/5 for FJ. I will miss Kyle—I liked him. 

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 2
On ‎09‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:01 PM, Browncoat said:

The only TS I got was Catahoula, and I also said azure for FJ.  I probably never would have come up with turquoise, as I associate that more with the American southwest than with Europe or Asia.

I initially had the same problem, but came up with the right answer in plenty of time.

On ‎09‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:15 PM, Kathira said:

Despite that complete fail, I did get Roundheads, Naked Lunch and catahoula.

I was surprised that none of the contestants got Roundheads or Naked Lunch.

I should've gotten War and Remembrance since I really enjoyed the miniseries, but all I could come up with was War; couldn't remember the Remembrance.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 6

Well, I'm off to a great start --  I had no clue for FJ today.  I'm glad Nancy won, though.  Rob couldn't even stand still during the intros, and William lost me when he started in the middle of the category in DJ. 

There were so many "Good for you!"s tonight that I lost count!

I had pennies in my penny loafers back in the day.  I wonder what happened to those shoes, and if I took the pennies out...

I was disappointed they left the Galapagos category until last, but I'm glad they got through all the clues.  I ran that one, and it's Alex's fault because I succumbed to his entreaty to go there with Nat Geo Lindblad Expeditions.  Well worth it, IMO.

There were an awful lot of TS  this game, and I'll have to correct Alex on the MPG for the Honda Insight -- the newest version actually gets better mileage than that.  I test drove one the other day, and it was very nice.  Anyway, in addition to Honda, I also got Buster Brown, Sad Sack, Hurricane Hugo, albatross, succulent, flinch, Latinate, and magnetic. 

• Love 5

Due to my love of English history & reading books about Queen Victoria, I knew the FJ!  That made me happy :)  I also had penny loafers as a kid... Wow, Browncoat how cool you took the tour to the Galapagos....bet that was so interesting!

• Love 3

Today’s TSs were Buster Brown, Diamonds Are Forever, Latinate, Magnetic, and I got FJ-Edward VII. As soon as I saw the category, I got excited for my chances. I have the little-necessary-except-for-Jeopardy ability to recite the British monarchs and American presidents in order. 

• Love 8