Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

17 minutes ago, Driad said:

It sounded to us that Rick said "Robinson Caruso" instead of "Robinson Crusoe."  Did others hear it that way?  Does number of syllables count any more?

I heard "Caruso" also and expected that he would be dinged. In the Gilligan's Island closing theme, it sounds like "Caruso" also, and I wonder if he thought that was the way to say it. (No idea if the song was on his mind, obviously.)

• Love 3

I was starting to like Rick so was bummed that Lori won, especially since she looks AND ACTS exactly like a person with whom I used to work -- and disliked intensely. She was ingratiating and all about herself, being flamboyant so people would like her while she did ... let's say ... not-so-nice things. Even down to the dancing and arm waving, this chick is my former co-worker's clone.

FJ was stupidly easy again for me. Perhaps since my profession is "design" maybe? Plus I studied Bauhaus in college and there is also a (very old) font family named Bauhaus.

Still irked about that stupid J6 that refuses to display all three answers, then tells you "time's up, you loser."

• Love 5
4 hours ago, illdoc said:

While working on my PhD, I was a TA (and some semesters, taught one section). I received free tuition and a stipend.

Stanford offered me free tuition and a $60k stipend to be a reasearch assistant or TA while doing a PhD. I decided against it since I'm not far from retiring with a nice pension, but if I were 15 years younger... 

Nice to see familiar faces back here. I didn't realize the new season had started. I need to catch up! 

• Love 5
On 9/10/2018 at 10:24 PM, saber5055 said:

Meanwhile, I have a legit bitch about the new J6. Now it fills the entire screen, so much so that the third answer goes OFF the screen so it's impossible to play. And I have a 20-in. monitor. WTH show. Why fix something that wasn't broken?

I never played before so I don't know about any changes , but I just tried on my iPad mini, and all 3 answers were there. Here's what it looked like...

IMG_3933.JPG

• Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

FJ was stupidly easy again for me. Perhaps since my profession is "design" maybe? Plus I studied Bauhaus in college and there is also a (very old) font family named Bauhaus.

I had no idea, but my knowledge of architecture is quite limited being a research scientist turned marketing analyst. 

Did get Beauty and the Beast though. That was a great play.  

• Love 1

I have a different problem with the J6 game: I can't find where to go to load up new games. All I get is the score from the first time I played on the new board. I don't like the new format either: no more picking the six categories you want to "count" and the other six for fun. It sounds as though others are having trouble too; I hope they work the kinks out soon. I fully agree with the "why fix what wasn't broken?" folks.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Silicon Valley, an industry based nickname,  encompasses most of the South Bay Area in northern California which is  south of San Francisco but hugging the bay. San Jose is the biggest city in the South Bay. But really, it's all city from SF to SJ. I'm glad I don't live there anymore. It was lovely once.

I was vaguely aware that Silicon Valley was in the SF area but that's it.  Thanks for the info!

14 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Advise and Consent

This is my brother's favorite book.  He's been known to lecture about it at family gatherings.  As much as I never want to hear about it ever again, I have him to thank for knowing that answer.

4 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

Aww, I like Lori! Guess I’m the only one here who does. Enthusiasm is fun to watch. 

I'm okay with her for the moment.  We'll see how it goes.

I know exactly one German architectural movement - Bauhaus. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I was starting to like Rick so was bummed that Lori won, especially since she looks AND ACTS exactly like a person with whom I used to work -- and disliked intensely. She was ingratiating and all about herself, being flamboyant so people would like her while she did ... let's say ... not-so-nice things. Even down to the dancing and arm waving, this chick is my former co-worker's clone

That's a solid reason. I have disliked people more than once for similar reasons.  That being said...

6 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

Aww, I like Lori! Guess I’m the only one here who does. Enthusiasm is fun to watch. 

Nope, not the only one who likes her. I enjoy honest enthusiasm too.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

j6.png.e3be3c7f05cef108a9b6730c4283e228.pngnyt.png.0306869b4becc15a0d6757291d3d5f44.png

Here's what J6 looks like on my 20-in. desktop monitor, plus it's stuck on Monday's game. So is the NYT FJ.    

Yesterday I posted a screenshot from my tablet. Here's one today from my desktop (not sure, 18 in?, 20 in?) monitor. I don't know if this is of any help to you or not.

IMG_3939.JPG

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, opus said:

Yesterday I posted a screenshot from my tablet. Here's one today from my desktop (not sure, 18 in?, 20 in?) monitor. I don't know if this is of any help to you or not.

Loan me your entire computer. The Jeopardy.com site insists on replaying Monday's game (with only two answers on my monitor) and showing Monday's FJ for me. I guess Trebek heard I hate his beard. Right now I hate him, too. Or at least his dumbass IT guys who screwed up what used to be a good/fun thing.

ETA: Thanks though, Opus, for trying to help.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Loan me your entire computer. The Jeopardy.com site insists on replaying Monday's game (with only two answers on my monitor) and showing Monday's FJ for me. I guess Trebek heard I hate his beard. Right now I hate him, too. Or at least his dumbass IT guys who screwed up what used to be a good/fun thing.

ETA: Thanks though, Opus, for trying to help.

I don't know anything about the game, but you might try clearing your cache. It's the browser version of the "turn it off and turn it on." Also, the browser might make a difference. It shouldn't but it often does.

• Love 3

I want to give Lori the benefit of the doubt, but during the intros today, she had a little gesture, sort of a shrug, that reminded me a little too much of the Kristin Wiig snl character who couldn't keep a secret :(

Edited by SoMuchTV
Correcting autocorrect

Lori lost me completely with her Dracula accent, which Trebek then had to imitate, of course.  Ugh.  Stop with the accents already!

So, hooray for Kyle!  FJ was not exactly an instaget for me -- it was sort of a wild-ass guess, but I did guess it quickly, and misspelled it the same way all the contestants did.  The only TS I wrote down were artificial insemination, respite, and Hamilton.

• Love 8

I would have also put Guillotine. 

5 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Lori lost me completely with her Dracula accent, which Trebek then had to imitate, of course.  Ugh.  Stop with the accents already

She lost me with the upspeak before that. 

6 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The only TS I wrote down were artificial insemination, respite, and Hamilton.

Got those too. 

• Love 6

Category: Words that begin with "O"

Clue: Austin Rogers and Lori would have this kind of children.

Answer: What is OBNOXIOUS.

Thank the many gods that Kyle, dressed well and showing decorum, pulled it off at the end to put me out of my Lori misery. But what's up with Trebek giving that third contestant all kinds of heck and grief about her putting an "e" on the end of Guillotin but he said nothing to Kyle or Trebekian Sweetheart Lori when they did the same. I think Trebek hated her because she didn't "keep up" like he thought she should so he gave her a public ragging.

I was thinking her "greenmarket" should be correct. Even though I was surprised when it was.

Meanwhile in other news, jeopardy.com continues to show me Monday's FJ and J6. That's on Firefox. Safari refuses to even load jeopardy.com at all. WTH show.

• Love 5

I thought that her response of teetotaler should also have been accepted. I did get lots of TSes today, but missed artificial insemination and had a complete brain fart on Hamilton (I went with John Adams, even though he wasn’t in the Cabinet). Of course, now I can’t remember them!

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Brookside said:

That "similar" category was awful - some answers were one word, some were two.  "Similar" does not mean "same".

Thanks for mentioning this. I thought the same thing. 

Once again contestants would benefit from seeing Hamilton. To be fair, I'd benefit from reading Harry Potter and have no interest in doing so, so I'm a hypocrite. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

But what's up with Trebek giving that third contestant all kinds of heck and grief about her putting an "e" on the end of Guillotin but he said nothing to Kyle or Trebekian Sweetheart Lori when they did the same. I think Trebek hated her because she didn't "keep up" like he thought she should so he gave her a public ragging.

Patronizing git.  In the first round he completely mispronounced Le Bourget as Le Bourgette.  Fail on the French, Alex.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I would have also put Guillotine. 

I wouldn't have since I didn't have a clue about the answer. Not even a good (or bad) guess. *waves at Ib60*

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Lori lost me completely with her Dracula accent, which Trebek then had to imitate, of course.  Ugh.  Stop with the accents already!

I didn't mind her doing the accent. I did it in my head before she spoke, though I only said "Who is Dracula!" What was bugging me about her was the slowness in picking clues. I know there have been slower contestants, but I still wanted her to pick up the pace.

The only TS I got was artificial insemination. I had Ray Liotta's face in my head but couldn't remember his name.

Would you all consider Augustus a BMS? Didn't more than one Augustus rule the Roman Empire?

• Love 5

One contestant gets dinged for leaving a syllable out of Vanuatu, then almost immediately another contestant is allowed to add a syllable to Crusoe?  I might've let it pass, but Trebek explicitly said the first contestant had made a single syllable mistake.  Not even a week in, and the judging is already questionable.

Did not like annoying middle guy on Monday or annoying middle woman on Tuesday.

I'm 2/3 on FJs.  If the Design FJ had mentioned the architecture school was also the name of a 70s-80s gothic rock band, I would've had it.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Brookside said:

That "similar" category was awful - some answers were one word, some were two.  "Similar" does not mean "same".

Yeah it seemed to even confuse Alex, he paused so long after she only responded with palette.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Would you all consider Augustus a BMS? Didn't more than one Augustus rule the Roman Empire?

The first Roman Emperor was the only one that took Augustus as his name. The ones that followed attached that name to theirs as a title (like Nero was Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, with Caesar being another name turned title), but they were known by their own names, not by that title.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Luciano said:

The first Roman Emperor was the only one that took Augustus as his name. The ones that followed attached that name to theirs as a title (like Nero was Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, with Caesar being another name turned title), but they were known by their own names, not by that title.

Right, so "Augustus" is specific enough. "Caesar" is the name that should get a BMS, but as commonly understood it refers only to Julius Caesar. Late in the Empire, when the power was divided among four tetrarchs, Augustus did become a title, but that's kind of obscure.

8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

But what's up with Trebek giving that third contestant all kinds of heck and grief about her putting an "e" on the end of Guillotin but he said nothing to Kyle or Trebekian Sweetheart Lori when they did the same. I think Trebek hated her because she didn't "keep up" like he thought she should so he gave her a public ragging.

I think he was just explaining that the judges had agreed in advance that spelling the name with an "e" would not be penalized. Since hers was the first answer revealed, there was no need to repeat the explanation. 

8 hours ago, lb60 said:

Welp, I'm 0-3 on FJ.  Go, me!!

And since posters are saying they've been easy, I must be an idiot.

<sobs>

Don't cry, I did not think of Guillotin[e].  I forgot he was a doctor. All I could think of was Pasteur, even though the date was too early for him.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Brookside said:

I thought so too. And I totally thought "engagement" should have been accepted, as it applies both to marriage and military, since some were single word answers (granted, I think the single words were homonyms rather than the exact same word, still...)

I saw French, the date, and execution and came up with Guillatin - I think because I'd recently done a MerriamWebster online quiz about things named for people.

• Love 4

Lori lost me completely with her Dracula accent, which Trebek then had to imitate, of course.

Me too.  Its petty but that moment lost me.  

Once again contestants would benefit from seeing Hamilton.

At this point, they need to at least read the Wikipedia entry.  Its obvious from last season that one of the writers is obsessed with Hamilton.  There have been so many questions about Hamilton and Aaron Burr, sir, lately that it can't be a coincidence. 

• Love 3

I am glad Lori was a one and done.  New guy seems okay so far.

My ts's for last night's game were artificial insemination, Thomas a Becket and marital/martial.  Almost said Hamilton but wasn't quite sure.

So far, 3/0 for FJ's.  In fact, I said Bauhaus even before the clue was given.  I knew last night's answer was the doctor who invented the guillotine but didn't know if there was an e on the end of his name.  Thanks to the judges executive decision (a new Drink! category?) I was covered either way.

Am happy to be back here with everyone - luckily the six weeks hiatus seemed to fly by.

• Love 6

Just out of curiosity, could someone calculate who would have won had the judges not made the decision to accept the answer of guillotine but followed the rule that if what you wrote sounds different from the correct  pronunciation, it's wrong? All three contestants would have been incorrect. I don't remember the amounts each had going into FJ or the wagers.

16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Since I said it exactly the same way on my couch, I just laughed, knowing what the forum reaction would by. Of course, I would not have said it that way on the air. I'm no fun with a camera on me.

• Love 4

I'm surprised that the judges ruled - and ruled before revealing answers that Guillotine would be accepted. I was at home saying "The guy who invented the guillotine" to the TV, knowing that wasn't his name,  the guillotine was named after him, but it was close, and I couldn't remember exactly what it was. If I had been a contestant, I'm not sure what I would have written. Allowing guillotine seems a little cheap to me.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, teebax said:

Thanks for mentioning this. I thought the same thing. 

Once again contestants would benefit from seeing Hamilton. To be fair, I'd benefit from reading Harry Potter and have no interest in doing so, so I'm a hypocrite. 

Or reading some post-Revolution history.  I've never seen Hamilton and never will, and am not expert on the era, but even I knew Jefferson and Hamilton were rivals.

15 hours ago, Brookside said:

Patronizing git.  In the first round he completely mispronounced Le Bourget as Le Bourgette.  Fail on the French, Alex.

I didn't think he was giving her grief - he was just explaining the judges' pre-FJ decision.

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

was thinking her "greenmarket" should be correct. Even though I was surprised when it was.

And I thought they shouldn't have given it to her since that isn't what the English call it, as referenced in the clue.

15 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't mind her doing the accent. I did it in my head before she spoke, though I only said "Who is Dracula!" What was bugging me about her was the slowness in picking clues. I know there have been slower contestants, but I still wanted her to pick up the pace.

The only TS I got was artificial insemination. I had Ray Liotta's face in my head but couldn't remember his name.

I did the same thing and also hated her slowness.

Ray Liotta was an instaget for me.  Loved him back in the day on Another World.

Nope, only one Emperor Augustus.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, GenerationX said:

One contestant gets dinged for leaving a syllable out of Vanuatu, then almost immediately another contestant is allowed to add a syllable to Crusoe?  I might've let it pass, but Trebek explicitly said the first contestant had made a single syllable mistake.  Not even a week in, and the judging is already questionable.

I didn't hear an extra syllable on Crusoe, but definitely hear "Vanatu".  Might be my tv or my ears.

4 hours ago, Trey said:

Thomas a Becket and marital/martial

I got those as well.  In fact, I did very well last night.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

And I thought they shouldn't have given it to her since that isn't what the English call it, as referenced in the clue.

I agree, though I wasn't absolutely positive that the English don't ever use the term 'greenmarket.' 

• Love 3

I also would not have given the contestant "fae" for "fairy/faery"...Yes, "fae" does refer to "fairy folk", but the clue said something about "surprised it can be spelled with a middle e". "Fae" doesn't satisfy that part of the clue! There was also some answer (not "Augustus") that also should have gotten a BMS, but I can't remember what it was.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I also would not have given the contestant "fae" for "fairy/faery

She, or the judges, may have been thinking of the word "fey" which has nothing to do with fairy or faery.

So it was still wrong.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 4

Yay, Kyle!  Not only did he rid us of annoying Lori, he's from my city.

The judging is getting on my last nerve and it's only three days in to the new season.  I heard Caruso, too, and fae for faery was wrong.  The worst was accepting green marketer.  The English don't call it that, in fact, I've never heard of it referring to selling produce since that's not what it means.  I can't find season 35 on J!Archive so I don't know what the exact wording of the clue was.

A greengrocer, also called a produce market or fruiterer, is a retail trader in fruit and vegetables; that is, in green groceries.[1] Greengrocer is primarily a British and Australian term.

The term "green market" refers to the fact that the resold goods are put back into productive use, which is the most environmentally friendly use of used or discontinued products.

I got Ray Liotta (a very under rated actor, although those Chantex commercials are making me want to take up smoking again) and Hamilton.

I was clueless for FJ, but now I'll never forget it since Alex just had to say Gee-o-TAN 14 times.  We get it, you can speak French.  Now STFU.  

I'm extremely stabby.  I may have to go buy some cigarettes.  Somebody stop me!  ?

Edited by CarpeDiem54
To remove a stray letter my keyboard likes to insert.
  • Love 6

First, "Iwo Jima" was all kinds of wrong! I knew what they were talking about, just couldn't remember where Notre Dame University was located.

Second, this exchange: Alex: "This man became the 35th president". Contestant: "Who is Kennedy?" Alex: "Which one?". Which one???? How many Kennedys did Alex think were president (Kit Carson Kennedy)????

• Love 21
38 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Second, this exchange: Alex: "This man became the 35th president". Contestant: "Who is Kennedy?" Alex: "Which one?". Which one???? How many Kennedys did Alex think were president (Kit Carson Kennedy)????

Ha! I thought the same!

I'm glad they rolled back on the doll/marionette answer. The judging was really scattered today.

I thought Reagan's biggest role was in the Bonzo movies, so I was really confused about FJ. Ha!

Even with all my many years on this planet, I had no idea the word was restaurateur.

• Love 9