Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

11 minutes ago, opus said:

Do you skip the player interviews, or did you see Evelyn talking about being a huge Seinfeld fan yesterday?

I often do other things during the interviews, but heard out of part of one ear that someone was a Seinfeld fan. Then "shower head" was a TS so I figured I heard wrong. Or maybe the person meant his standup and not tv show!

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I often do other things during the interviews, but heard out of part of one ear that someone was a Seinfeld fan. Then "shower head" was a TS so I figured I heard wrong. Or maybe the person meant his standup and not tv show!

Both. Evelyn's a huge fan of the show AND has seen him in concert 5 times she said.

Edited by opus
  • Love 3

My DVR failed to record the first round. Boo hiss.

Hey, guys! Did you know Nancy won with only $3600? I didn't, and it's crucial knowledge if my life is to have any meaning, so I sure was glad Trebek mentioned it at least a dozen times.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, ABay said:

Hey, guys! Did you know Nancy won with only $3600?

I heard that, yes. What a laugh, since $3,600 won't even buy a McDonald's drive-thru Happy Meal, it's such a piddly amount. Nancy's such a moron to not have won an amount that would actually BUY anything.

• Love 7
On 9/25/2018 at 9:57 PM, lb60 said:

I missed half of tonight's show due to a tornado warning in a different county that the tv station in a different state felt the need to go on and on about. Since they already pre-empted GH today for the Cosby verdict, 6abc is currently on my shitlist.

<rant over>

So today, you got a whole category presented by your least favorite folks!

On another note, was that the first-ever proposal on Jeopardy?

• Love 3

I had the same question as rubaco. It put me off Michael. I don’t like the whole trend of big showy public proposals, and then Alex brought it up again and again. Did anyone else think Alex really wanted Michael to win? I’m glad Evelyn won again, but I would have been happy with Katie too. I loved her happy dance when she knew that DD. Katie made a bad FJ wager.

• Love 5

WTF with that wager, Katie?  I liked her and wouldn't have been sad had she managed to win in the end.  Oh well, another day of Noddy.

You have to be awfully sure of yourself before making public proposals like that -- what if the proposee doesn't really want to marry you?  They're kind of stuck saying yes regardless.

And hey, I couldn't remember Sue Grafton, but I did remember The Alamo!  Yay, me!  LOL

I also got the TS/missed DD of The Queen, Kilkenny, electricity, astronaut, Mobile, and C.S. Lewis.  It made me sad that no one knew C.S. Lewis.  I only said Lafayette instead of the Marquis de Lafayette -- do you suppose it would have been ruled correct?

1 minute ago, Babalooie said:

Did my husband and I both incorrectly hear  Michael say LADYBIRD  instead of ladybug for the answer (question) in the Nursery Rhymes category?  We rewound and listened again.  No one picked up on it.

I heard that, too, but I've also occasionally heard the insects called ladybirds or ladybird beetles, so it didn't bother me too much.

• Love 5

Big eyeroll from me for the public proposal. I don't watch the interviews but rewound when I heard Alex say "Good day for Michael" in his signoff. 

FJ was an instaget and I got the Iraq and Sweden TS. I would have been happy with Evelyn or Katie(?) winning; they both played well.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, rubaco said:

So today, you got a whole category presented by your least favorite folks!

No, they're back in my good graces. I actually love my newscasters. Plus, they read the clues without futzing around, and I knew 4/5 answers. The only thing missing was my favorite hottie gay weatherman reading a clue.

Dear future jeptestants,

France+friend+Revolution=Lafayette 99.9% of the time.

Signed, 

An avid teenage reader of the Kent Family Chronicles by John Jakes.  

I will always know Lafayette from those books.

I also got electricity (seriously, The Franklin Institute), Monday Night Football, and astronaut.

FJ=instaget (thank you Pee Wee Herman)

That proposal was, uhhh, not good.

• Love 6

My favorite moment from Pee Wee's Big Adventure is when he's at a pay phone calling his friends. They don't believe he's at the Alamo so he leans out of the booth and sings "The stars at night are big and bright" and everyone in the street responds "( clap clap clap clap ) deep in the heart of Texas."

Edited by ABay
  • Love 11

Count me is one of those killjoy people who is just a little bit tired of the public proposals or the big let me take you to the moon and film it and put it on Instagram or Facebook proposals.

I should have known it was just a matter of time before it invaded Jeopardy. That aside I was shocked at a lot of the clues that they did not get today. Maybe I'm getting smarter haha. Some of the ones they missed or didn't even try to answer were just baffling. Final Jeopardy has been very easy all week.

• Love 6
21 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Did my husband and I both incorrectly hear  Michael say LADYBIRD  instead of ladybug for the answer (question) in the Nursery Rhymes category?  We rewound and listened again.  No one picked up on it.

The British, Australians, and no doubt those of other English speaking nations say Ladybird.  Personally, I think it's the prettier name.  And presumably was coined first . . . .

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 5
38 minutes ago, Brookside said:

the term The British, Australians, and no doubt other English speaking nations say Ladybird.  Personally, I think it's the prettier name.  And presumably was coined first . . . .

Thanks.  I researched and found it.  In my part of the South I had never heard the term Ladybird used for a ladybug.  Even a retired teacher can learn something new.

Edited by Babalooie
  • Love 7
33 minutes ago, Babalooie said:

Thanks.  I researched and found it.  In my part of the South I had never heard the term Ladybird used for a ladybug.  Even a retired teacher can learn something new.

It's not just the southern US. I live in upstate NY and I was sure he would be ruled incorrect. I've always heard the rhyme as "Ladybug, ladybug fly away home."

• Love 6

The proposal was horrible.  I blame the producers/Trebek for allowing it to go ahead - they obviously knew it was coming up.  Plus the girlfriend was not particularly surprised, so even if she didn't know it was coming that night, it seemed like they had discussed it.  Call me old-fashioned, but proposals are not something to be planned in advance by both parties.

Katie! obviously hasn't changed her signature since she was ten.

Glad the champ won again, and she seemed less noddy than yesterday.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, lb60 said:

France+friend+Revolution=Lafayette 99.9% of the time.

Good to know. I hope I remember that next time.

FJ=instaget (thank you Pee Wee Herman)

Maybe when the Catholic Church sold the Alamo to Texas, they kept the basement.

Besides FJ, I got Sweden, subtext, Mobile, CS Lewis, and the DD of electricity.

Who was the person relating to Mole Day? 

I like Evelyn and don't really see excessive nodding.

Edited by peeayebee
formatting
  • Love 7

Good game for me last night; I got Queen, Kilkenny, Sweden, Monday night football, C.S. Lewis and the missed DD of electricity.  Also got FJ, not quite an instaget but pretty quick.  I have listened to Marty Robbin's Ballad of the Alamo so many times that it should have been an instaget.

I still like Evelyn; I agree, there was a lot less nodding last night.

A proposal on Jeopardy!??!! I always mute the interviews but that's what I thought was happening.  I'm afraid I wasn't interested enough to unmute.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

She nodded less today. I think someone may have given her a tip (do they do that @MrAtoz?)

I didn't particularly notice any nodding (but then, I rarely notice contestant quirks).  Sometimes during commercial breaks, I think the contestant coordinators do ask some people to be more animated or speak louder, things like that.

Of course, they also advised us not to say the whole name of a category if it's really long, and not to bother saying things like "I'll take..." or "Let's go back to...", or to put "please, Alex," on the end of your clue selections.  And we can all see how well that advice sticks! :-)

• Love 13

If the writers concentrate on Seinfeld eps instead of Hamilton this season, I'm golden.

Nope!  We got another Hamilton question last night.  But sadly, no one knew America's Favorite Fighting Frenchman.   Heh, if I ever get to return to Jeopardy, and the answer is Lafayette, that's so how I will answer it, 

This is my week for FJs!   I was born at Fort Sam Houston which is basically next door to the Alamo. 

• Love 6
13 hours ago, rubaco said:

On another note, was that the first-ever proposal on Jeopardy?

Michael answered questions on Reddit and said that it was a first (though an audience member proposed a few years ago). Everyone on that thread seemed to enjoy the moment, so I'm happy to find some kindred spirits here because I did not.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, krankydoodle said:

Michael answered questions on Reddit and said that it was a first (though an audience member proposed a few years ago). Everyone on that thread seemed to enjoy the moment, so I'm happy to find some kindred spirits here because I did not.

Really?  I would swear that I remember one of the College Tournament contestants proposing to his girlfriend, many years ago, during his interview.  I can't give you a name or exact date or anything like that, but I was sure I remembered it happening.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Babalooie said:

I heard it too, but I think there are two versions of that nursery rhyme.

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

also got the TS/missed DD of The Queen, Kilkenny, electricity, astronaut, Mobile, and C.S. Lewis.  It made me sad that no one knew C.S. Lewis.  I only said Lafayette instead of the Marquis de Lafayette -- do you suppose it would have been ruled correct?

I didn't get Kilkenny but did get the rest.  The photo from the astronaut clue was clearly on the moon, so I'm a little surprised none of them got it.  I also said Lafayette, and yes, I think they'd have accepted that.

13 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I got the Iraq and Sweden TS

Got those too.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Nope!  We got another Hamilton question last night.  But sadly, no one knew America's Favorite Fighting Frenchman.   Heh, if I ever get to return to Jeopardy, and the answer is Lafayette, that's so how I will answer it, 

This is my week for FJs!   I was born at Fort Sam Houston which is basically next door to the Alamo. 

I didn't take that as a Hamilton question myself - just a basic American history question.  It seems to me questions about Lafayette were asked well before Hamilton became a gleam in Lin-Manuel's brilliant eyes. (she says after answering Lafitte instead of Lafayette - LOL)

I've had a good FJ week, and I'm hoping for 5 for 5 tonight. I must say, the contest is making Jeopardy really fun

4 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:
13 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I got the Iraq and Sweden TS

Got those too.

Got Iraq (I may not come up with Tigris and Euphrates on their own, but I manage it the other way around). Got in the neighborhood of Sweden because I just can't get a grip on the whole Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland area. (said Denmark).

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I didn't take that as a Hamilton question myself - just a basic American history question.  It seems to me questions about Lafayette were asked well before Hamilton became a gleam in Lin-Manuel's brilliant eyes. (she says after answering Lafitte instead of Lafayette - LOL)

Me either.  Not all US history questions have to do with Hamilton.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Not only did we not get the Thursday episode here in Chicago due to the Supreme Court nonsense hearings, but we won't get it today either due to a Cubs game. Boo! Hiss!

Oh crap.  What will I watch while eating dinner?  (I DVR the show for later viewing).

Edited by PaulaO
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, PaulaO said:
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Not only did we not get the Thursday episode here in Chicago due to the Supreme Court nonsense hearings, but we won't get it today either due to a Cubs game. Boo! Hiss!

Oh crap.  What will I watch while eating dinner?  (I DVR the show for later viewing).

A big BOO HISS that I'm in the same No Show boat. TheJeopardyFan posted FJ and winners later in the day yesterday so I know who won, and got FJ added to the contest. And while I'm one of the biggest PeeWee fans (I know you are but what am I), I knew FJ even w/o The Big Adventure connection. Although I do love that movie. Because of the movie, I am skilled at The PeeWee Dance, which I will perform when our band goes public. I still have all of my taped PeeWee's Playhouse episodes. So many contained "things" not appropriate for kids but made me LOL.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Because of the movie, I am skilled at The PeeWee Dance,

I was walking from my car to my house the other day, when another car drove by, blaring "Tequila" on their stereo.  I had to stop and do the PeeWee Dance.  Not to be confused with the peepee dance, of course.

• Love 9

I just watched yesterday's game on YouTube. My only comment is that I hate Michael with the heat of a zillion suns based on that bogus proposal. I mean, seriously hate him. Hate the show for letting him do it, hate his woman in the audience (who had a mic right in front of her, yeah, big surprise lady ... NOT) and hate her coming on stage at the end. And nice job Michael, hogging Evelyn's section of the interview. Pig.

The only thing that would have made this episode better for me would be if Michael finished in the red and got kicked off stage for FJ. Hooray to the returning champ. Just please do not get engaged on this show and you'll stay All-Right-A with me. (Insert picture of Oregon/Idaho border.)

• Love 9
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I just watched yesterday's game on YouTube. My only comment is that I hate Michael with the heat of a zillion suns based on that bogus proposal. I mean, seriously hate him. Hate the show for letting him do it, hate his woman in the audience (who had a mic right in front of her, yeah, big surprise lady ... NOT) and hate her coming on stage at the end. And nice job Michael, hogging Evelyn's section of the interview. Pig.

The only thing that would have made this episode better for me would be if Michael finished in the red and got kicked off stage for FJ. 

Yes to all of this, except that the only thing better for me would have been if she'd said "no" and meant it.  Wouldn't it have been great if she'd gone along with the whole set-up knowing she was going to turn the prick down?

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Yes to all of this, except that the only thing better for me would have been if she'd said "no" and meant it.  Wouldn't it have been great if she'd gone along with the whole set-up knowing she was going to turn the prick down?

Based on this post, I am making room at my Thanksgiving table for you and your family. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Based on this post, I am making room at my Thanksgiving table for you and your family. 

I'd love to come, but only if you don't mind the local TV cameras being there for the proposal my soon-to-be fiancee and I are planning.  (Will you have enough food for them too?  And perhaps for the Kit Carson Jeopardy Orchestra?)

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, ErinV said:

I guessed Alamo just based on "landmark" and "Texas".

Also did not care for the proposal.

Me too. Add "Catholic" to that list at least for me. I knew the Alamo was a Spanish mission. Definitely an easy FJ even without PeeWee Herman.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I'd love to come, but only if you don't mind the local TV cameras being there for the proposal my soon-to-be fiancee and I are planning.  (Will you have enough food for them too?  And perhaps for the Kit Carson Jeopardy Orchestra?)

Spunkygal’s Thanksgiving Rules: 1. No orchestra tubas. 2. No Trebek. 3. Lots of fake flower buttonieres that shoot water. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

Spunkygal’s Thanksgiving Rules: 1. No orchestra tubas. 2. No Trebek. 3. Lots of fake flower buttonieres that shoot water. 

And 4. Saber's Ed Grimley/PeeWee Herman-style choreographed flashmob dance routine, to be filmed for Local News/YouTube viewing?

• Love 5

Ah, cr*p, ABC's World News Tonight with David Muir just showed the Jeopardy proposal. WTH. I guess jackasses, show offs and Look At Me people rule in this country. Anyone who is polite and courteous are Losers these days.

• Love 8

Damned Thursday Night football!  And then the local affiliate was supposed to air Jeopardy! at 2:00 am, I stayed up (a perk of being retired is sleeping late ?) only to be accosted by an episode of Divorce Court.  WTF?!  It took me forever to find it on You Tube today.

Congrats to Evelyn.  I'm sorry I called her a Dashboard Dog.  She seemed to have knocked off the nodding and she is ten thousand times better than her rivals.  Katie!'s signature and her hunched over/leaning bugged me.  But nothing was as bad as Michael's proposal.  Blech!  I wish his girlfriend had said, "What's never in a million years?"  Plus, I hated that he said ladybird (which I've only ever heard ladybugs called on Jeopardy!) and that they gave him credit for stagecoach after Evelyn said it.  In fact, they shouldn't have let anyone else answer that clue after she answered it correctly, but too late, right after Alex screamed, "NO!"

I got electricity (DD), Iraq, Monday Night Football, astronaut, and Mobile.

FJ was an instaget.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, rubaco said:

Alex totally gave away today's FJ answer (question) with his impersonation. I've never seen the film, but the answer was pretty damn obvious based on his delivery.

Well, it is ALL about Alex! Insufferable A-H.

• Love 7