Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

And 4. Saber's Ed Grimley/PeeWee Herman-style choreographed flashmob dance routine, to be filmed for Local News/YouTube viewing?

Or maybe a dance-off?  Ed Grimley vs. PeeWee Herman!

I agree, Alex totally gave away the answer to FJ tonight -- I've never seen the movie, either, and probably wouldn't have had a clue without the accent/impersonation.  So, as much as I complain about his horrible accents (and this one was also horrible!), I would be 6/15 instead of 7/15 without it!

However, I did manage to get fire extinguisher, Honolulu, fires, and John Irving.  I hate John Irving almost as much as I hate Steinbeck, but was still surprised that that was a TS. 

I wanted Barbara to win.

• Love 2

Ugh. Tonight's FJ. There were a couple of other 70's Oscar winners it could have been, but no one would even consider them after Alex's lousy Marlon Brando imitation. Maybe they all would have gotten it anyway, but now we'll never know. It's one thing when he does that kind of thing for regular clues, but for DDs and definitely for FJ, just read the clue straight. Espcially since it wasn't actually a runaway for Andrew. I liked Barbara and her purple hair and she could have had a shot.

In addition to the give-away FJ, I got fire extinguisher, microwave, Honolulu, greenmail and Stockholm.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 8
39 minutes ago, rubaco said:

Alex totally gave away today's FJ answer (question) with his impersonation. I've never seen the film, but the answer was pretty damn obvious based on his delivery.

That totally P'd me off since I had already looked up FJ on TheJeopardyFan and I didn't have a clue so graded myself a big zero for today. Then Trebek completely gave it away with his stupid reading so of course I would have gotten it then. SO irritating. I hate him. He totally effed FJ and the outcome of this game.

I also had a problem with "What is zzz" for the three letter category. That's not even a word, it's something that goes in a balloon over a cartoon guy's head. And it's not just three zs, it's usually more. Because, you know, the guy is in deep sleep.

Someone mispronounced an answer but I didn't write it down. I figured I'm come across it here. But it bugged that it was ruled correct.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Ah, cr*p, ABC's World News Tonight with David Muir just showed the Jeopardy proposal. WTH. I guess jackasses, show offs and Look At Me people rule in this country. Anyone who is polite and courteous are Losers these days.

I saw it on CNN's homepage too this morning. My eyes rolled back so far I couldn't get them straight until a few minutes ago.

54 minutes ago, rubaco said:

Alex totally gave away today's FJ answer (question) with his impersonation. I've never seen the film, but the answer was pretty damn obvious based on his delivery.

That was ridiculous. That little performance of his downgraded the question to a $200 clue.

I got the Stockholm DD and John Irving TS.

Andrew was all over the place. I suspect he'll be a one and done.

• Love 6

Congrats to Andrew, although I had really warmed up to Evelyn.

Here's something I've never understood - a contestant starts a category, someone else answers and moves on to another category or it's a TS.  Contestant 1 keeps going back to/sticks with that same category but never answers correctly or at all.  Just think that's odd.

A picture of ravioli?  Really?

I got fire extinguisher, microwave, and John Irving.

FJ was an instaget.  I have to say, I've seen the movie several times, and Alex's stupid accent almost ruined it for me.  I thought, "I don't remember Don Corleone doing a Dracula impersonation in that scene".   Knock it off, Alex, you got to say genre earlier in the game.  That should have been your cheap thrill for the day.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, rubaco said:

W.T.F. That is so unfair. Maybe they'll let the ladies come back and play again, since maybe Andrew wouldn't have gotten it without the accent ;)

16 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

FJ was an instaget.  I have to say, I've seen the movie several times, and Alex's stupid accent almost ruined it for me.  I thought, "I don't remember Don Corleone doing a Dracula impersonation in that scene".   Knock it off, Alex, you got to say genre earlier in the game.  That should have been your cheap thrill for the day.

Hilarious, you made me laugh out loud.

When I was a kid, we had at least one nursery rhyme book that said "ladybird" and at least one with "ladybug". I always preferred the ladybird version, because it sounds pretty.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, rubaco said:

Same here! Never seen the movie, somehow.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, rubaco said:

ARGH! That's one of my big pet peeves with this show, when Alex's accents are a big part of the clue. It really riles me up.

3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Not only did AT's accent give it away, closed captioning said, "Sicilian accent: ..." in case you still didn't get what Alex was going for.

HA! That's pretty darn funny.

I got fire extinguisher, John Irving, and 'Fires' (part of a book title which I just happened to download today as an ebook -- Weird!). I think I still would have gotten FJ without Alex's accent, but I'm not sure. 

• Love 5

I don't like Andrew, so I was particularly amused when he kept flaming out with the Parts of the Whole category (I think he got one right).

Another night where I was half paying attention. I did get fire extinguisher and John Irving.

Fine, I said fire hydrant and John Updike. Like I said, I was half paying attention, so I got half the answer. I was thinking extinguisher, but couldn't come up with Irving. It's been a long week.

I think I would have gotten FJ without the accent, I've seen all the movies, but that was some bullshit on Alex's part.

• Love 4

I also had a problem with "What is zzz" for the three letter category.

So did I. In fact, I yelled NO! at the TV (I've really got to stop yelling at the TV).

The last 4 FJs have been so easy, I haven't even clapped for myself.

But I tied with Mr. Author, so we split the cost of the Chinese take-out :)

• Love 5

Mystery Author knew her personally.

I think the last time Sue was a clue, the wording was different. I don't think she'd died yet. Yes, I knew her, and she was a sweetheart. I won't bore you with a reprint of my all-time favorite book signing (with Sue).

• Love 5
22 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Thanks. I thought Mole Day had to do with the little animals. As I read thru the article you linked, my brain glazed over, but I learned there's another meaning to 'mole' I wasn't aware of.

I remembered Avagadro and the mole from HS chemistry some 35 years ago.  Funny how those things stick, but I couldn't tell you what I had for dinner last night.

18 hours ago, Kathira said:

Me too. Add "Catholic" to that list at least for me. I knew the Alamo was a Spanish mission. Definitely an easy FJ even without PeeWee Herman.

I thought it was a fort, but deduced it must have been a mission since it's similar to the California missions from around the same time. Also because I couldn't come up with any other Texas landmarks.  But all I could get out in time was "that place in San Antonio!"  

• Love 4
19 hours ago, rubaco said:

WHEN, OH, WHEN are they going to make him cut that the hell out?!?!?!?!?!

• Love 5

The category title linking seems particularly prevalent this season.  It's a bit hokey at times, but in general I'm a fan.

Mrs. GenX and I pre-called virtually the entire Mr. and Mrs. Song Titles category from Wednesday.  I was glad Mr. Blue Sky was in there, as I bought Out of the Blue the day it came out in record stores (that's the day it "dropped at a vinyl brick-and-mortar" for you youngsters out there).  Saw ELO a month ago when they stopped in Chicagoland.  Fantastic show.

I paused Friday's FJ to read it and got it from the clue.  When I restarted it and heard Alex chime in with his lame but dead giveaway Brando, I could not believe it.  Why not put the movie poster up and play the theme song in the background, too?  Sheesh.  

Edited by GenerationX
  • Love 11

Just binged the last three eps. Hated the proposal, liked both the champs, got Kavanaugh testimony instead of Thursday’s ep (thank you, YT!). Answers: 

DD-Zebra crossing, Monterey, FJ-guessed Zelda Fitzgerald, way wrong! Got hung up on the idea that “Z” was part of the first name.

The queen, Electricity, Lafayette, Sweden, Monday Night Football, CS Lewis, FJ-Alamo

Zzz, Microwave, DD-Stockholm, John Irving, DD-Julius Caesar, FJ-The Godfather

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Kerri Okie said:

I thought it was a fort, but deduced it must have been a mission since it's similar to the California missions from around the same time. Also because I couldn't come up with any other Texas landmarks.  But all I could get out in time was "that place in San Antonio!"  

At least you knew it was in San Antonio. Good for you!

• Love 4
On 9/29/2018 at 10:59 AM, Kerri Okie said:
On 9/28/2018 at 12:34 PM, peeayebee said:

Thanks. I thought Mole Day had to do with the little animals. As I read thru the article you linked, my brain glazed over, but I learned there's another meaning to 'mole' I wasn't aware of.

I remembered Avagadro and the mole from HS chemistry some 35 years ago. 

That mole clue left me completely brainless. I know there are animal moles (they live in my front yard, the little stinkers) and people moles (there was a great tv show The Mole a while back) but I never heard of chemistry mole. So I looked it up and sure enough, there it was. Add "Chemistry" to categories I will probably get when I am on this show, so ya'll can point and laugh at me as I tank.

• Love 4
On 9/29/2018 at 11:59 AM, Kerri Okie said:

I remembered Avagadro and the mole from HS chemistry some 35 years ago.  Funny how those things stick, but I couldn't tell you what I had for dinner last night.

Me, too.  I remember my HS chemistry teacher had a little plush mole doll in the classroom that was wearing a little T-shirt with Avagadro's number printed on it.

Thanks to discussion with fellow contestants and a little Googling, I can confirm that last week's proposal was definitely NOT the first time it's happened.  A financial consultant named Andy Gefen proposed during his contestant interview in a game that aired on January 4, 2006.  Here is the documentation on J! Archive: http://j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=1421

• Love 6
3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Thanks to discussion with fellow contestants and a little Googling, I can confirm that last week's proposal was definitely NOT the first time it's happened.  A financial consultant named Andy Gefen proposed during his contestant interview in a game that aired on January 4, 2006.

That is some awesome information MrAtoz; thanks. I miss those days before social media made every little thing a headline. That info would make a great FJ category/clue/question.

NBC nightly news aired the current proposal the night after ABC nightly news showed it. I tried to not see it (again) anywhere else.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

I guessed Vanity Fair. Since it’s quite a long book and is about Becky Sharp. I don’t think the clue said it was named after the lead character  - just that it was a book about a woman. 

• Love 2

(I was just typing that, SoMuchTV. You beat me to it.)

Coincidentally, a player says "Hunter," and Alex does not say "BMS." He says no. And the next player gets Hunter S. Thompson. Shouldn't it have been a BMS situation? 

• Love 4

Well, give me an asterisk for tonight's FJ!  Great way to start the week.  I will admit it was a bit of a guess -- but I couldn't think of any other long novel about a woman.  I'm terrible with dates, though, so I wasn't confident at all.

Boo, hiss that end guy won, although I will agree that the twin clue wasn't clear.  However, he should not have gotten credit for "infected" instead of "contaminated" -- those two things are not the same.  I was rooting for middle guy.

Kit Carson Cody and Alex got to say "Jamaica, man"!  What a night.  :)

TS I got included Cheney's Got A Gun, Taft, contaminated, and identical.

• Love 9

I sensed a disturbance in The Force and checked Jeopardy on the DVR...yep, it was right when Kit Carson (Cody) was mentioned.

Oh silly contestants! "World" literature means the book is neither American nor British, and most likely not originally in English.

• Love 13

Hello Everybody. I’ve missed y’all, and after surviving a hurricane and a tornado, I’m back. Gee, it feels good to get back into my Jeopardy groove. 

I enjoyed the winner Doug, but his voice kept throwing me off. He sounds exactly like Ross Matthews if I close my eyes. Speaking of that...what was with Carl’s eye affect? It distracted me. 

I got all of the TS’s except Phil Knight and I did get FJ, which was an instaget. I wonder why nobody else did. As soon as the clue said “long” I had it. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
I added Punctuation.
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Whoah! Kit Carson Cody! Over drinking across the viewership!

Yes, I immediately thought the same thing. Sad that he died as a child, though.

I didn't see what was ambiguous about the "twins" clue, so I did not think Carl should have been given credit for his answer. Those soap actors took forever. One slow reader is bad enough; a dialogue of slow speakers is even worse. 

I got Taft, Miles Davis, and FJ. The guesses were not bad, but "long book" almost always = Tolstoy.

• Love 7

Doug and Andrew looked like twins - same jacket, beard, glasses - which is ironic considering Andrew missed the twins clue.

Interesting wagering by Andrew in FJ.  By interesting, I mean I think it was a poor wager.  But it worked out for him.

My initial instinct for FJ was Anna Anna Karenina, but then I second guessed and would have written Madam Bovary.

A Kit Carson reference!  It's like one of the writers was reading this forum.

• Love 6

Didn't like any of the contestants tonight.

I thought the identical twin clue was perfectly clear.  I call BS on giving Doug credit for fraternal.

I got Taft and identical (DD).

I was totally clueless for FJ and didn't even guess.

• Love 5

I knew Anna Karenina......but I never would have been able to spell it.  Karennenyyaaa?  No idea. 

I read the book last year.  And it was on the book cover/description about it being the 'best novel' or whatever

Good book.  Very modern and amazingly a number of very 20th century American themes in it for the time and considering it was written in 19th century Russia. 

Best ever though? Not my favorite. 

I did like the way he used the phrase "That is capital!!"  a whole lot. 

16 minutes ago, Kathira said:

I slept through most of J tonight and only woke up in time to guess Madam Bovary instead of Anna Karenina for FJ, ruining my streak of instaget FJs. I'll rewatch the rest later.

Oh man.....Madame Bovary, a good guess.  I read that one two.  Certainly prefer Anna to Madam Bovary, the book and the character.  Its a bad sign when you just keep thinking, "Would this main character just kill herself already!!!"

Ooopppsss.......sorry for the spoiler for those who have not read Madam Bovary.  Well, and............never mind

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Boo, hiss that end guy won, although I will agree that the twin clue wasn't clear.  However, he should not have gotten credit for "infected" instead of "contaminated" -- those two things are not the same.  I was rooting for middle guy.

I agree. I paused and read that twin clue several times and as a statement (as it was written), "I'm a twin, but [fraternal] or [identical], also known as this type" makes no sense. It would have made better sense to me as a question, with better inflection by the actor: "I'm a twin, but [fraternal] or [identical], also known as this type?" 

Agree on contaminated, and I was rooting for middle guy too. Doug bugged (ha) but at least Andrew can go back to guessing randomly at home now.

52 minutes ago, Roaster said:

My initial instinct for FJ was Anna Anna Karenina, but then I second guessed and would have written Madam Bovary.

I did the same and guessed Madame Bovary, although I don't agree either is the greatest work of fiction by any stretch.

For TS I got Cheney's Got a Gun and Miles Davis, a stunner because I thought "Birth of the Cool" was pretty mainstream by now. The GH category was a cute idea but damn some of them read slow. I thought Sonny was drunk.

Kit Carson Cody??? SCREAMING.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I didn't see what was ambiguous about the "twins" clue, so I did not think Carl should have been given credit for his answer. Those soap actors took forever. One slow reader is bad enough; a dialogue of slow speakers is even worse. 

Does anyone remember how the twin clue was written? Monozygotic twins are identical, meaning that they develop from one zygote, which splits and forms two embryos; dizygotic twins are fraternal, meaning each twin develops from a separate egg.

I agree about the soap actors taking foooorrrrreeeeeeeverrrrrrrr to read those slooooooow clues. I don't even know how that category finished in time.

53 minutes ago, Roaster said:

A Kit Carson reference!  It's like one of the writers was reading this forum.

So much THIS. I also suspect PAs are reading here since Trebek only gave Doug a "good" during his interview, no GFY, and no other goods or GFYs for anyone else. No drinks today. It made me cranky. Git off my lawn.

1 hour ago, rubaco said:

Coincidentally, a player says "Hunter," and Alex does not say "BMS." He says no. And the next player gets Hunter S. Thompson. Shouldn't it have been a BMS situation? 

And SO MUCH THIS to this. WTH Trebek. It's okay for someone to answer Thompson (or The Mooch) yet Hunter gets a big flat NO? This show is starting to have at least one make-me-cranky moment every episode.

I thought I would rock the Nancy Drew category, my mom signed me up for the Nancy Drew Book Club when I was a kid, and I got a new Nancy Drew every month. I read all of them multiple times. But some of those titles were unknown to me. "The Hidden Staircase" scared me so much, it took a while for pre-teen me to get through.

I laughed at Doug's Fast Food "can't tell" and Carl's "watch it" reply. Finally, a bright moment on this show.

I like Doug a lot. Color me a new fan.

I couldn't believe I got FJ AND an asterisk. First I thought Ann of Green Gables, then the "long" made me think War and Peace which made me say Anna Karenina. Yay for me. Finally.

Welcome back Mindthinkr!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5

The GH category was brutal. I watch the show and it's bad enough to listen to Sonny Corinthos (MB) sputter and s*** through his lines on the show.  I don't need to see him on Jeopardy.  Actually, they all sucked.

I got identical (DD) tonight, and I'm sitting at the table with the other people who think that the clue was confusing.

I somehow pulled the correct answer for FJ from some part of my brain, having never read the book. Yay, me!!

I was rooting for Carl.  He seemed the lesser of three evils.

1 hour ago, rubaco said:

I thought so.  It's another thing they aren't consistent with. I was annoyed that the other guy was able to answer.

• Love 8
25 minutes ago, lb60 said:

The GH category was brutal. I watch the show and it's bad enough to listen to Sonny Corinthos (MB) sputter and s*** through his lines on the show.  I don't need to see him on Jeopardy.  Actually, they all sucked.

Thanks for the laugh. At least the category wasn't all clues about GH, which is what I thought it was going to be. I haven't seen a soap for decades and never watched GH. But still, the reading was so drah-mat-ic. Ha ha! Soapy!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

I OWNED the Nancy Drew category.  I reread The Ghost of Blackwood Hall a few years ago and it still scared me.  Instaget FJ!

I never read Nancy Drew, but I did OWN the POTUS middle names!

I've got a "hangman" type program where you can make your own lists of words, and I have a category of Presidents, including all their middle names, so I got that pretty easily only because of that game.

I had not the first idea about FJ.  And I tried, I really tried, to read Karenina, but I just couldn't get through it.  I did get through Bovary, however. Jeez, I can't remember who the third one was - my father once ordered a set of books about 3 women, Anna Karenina, Madam Bovary and ??? (I know it wasn't Lady Chatterly, hahaha.)

Kit Carson Cody cracked me up so badly, it took Stella, the tortie, 10 minutes to come back onto my lap. She hates being scared by my laughing.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, lb60 said:

I ended up fast forwarding through those clues. It was bad. Although, I can't believe Nancy Lee Grahn still looks the same as when I watched her on Santa Barbara.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Indeed, contamination is not infection - though infection may result from contamination. In the context, it was quite clearly contamination.

2 hours ago, ABay said:

Oh silly contestants! "World" literature means the book is neither American nor British, and most likely not originally in English.

Which is why I picked Madame Bovary by Flaubert, like @Kathira - it isn't that long - it just reads like it is a million pages and counting.

2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I OWNED the Nancy Drew category.  I reread The Ghost of Blackwood Hall a few years ago and it still scared me.  Instaget FJ!

Did you see the covers in your mind too - or was that just me?

I found the twin question confusing because it had both types of twins, but so far as I could tell at the time, provided no other distinction to let me decide which one the "twin" was. I may have missed something, but it looks like I'm not the only one.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 9

Boo hiss on accepting infection. Not the same! Couldn't they have had the actor do another take on the twins clue? It was phrased fine, but he didn't inflect his words to indicate what they were going for. I also LOL'ed at Kit Carson Cody. I feel so smart when I get FJ and the contestants don't. I can bomb the whole game, but if I get FJ when they don't, I am clearly superior.
Backing up to the other day's FJ. Yes, KNOCK IT OFF, ALEX!!!! He's either given away the answer with his stupid accents and impressions, or thrown me completely off because I had no idea WTF he was going for with the accent.

• Love 12
25 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I found the twin question confusing because it had both types of twins, but so far as I could tell at the time, provided no other distinction to let me decide which one the "twin" was. I may have missed something, but it looks like I'm not the only one.

That is why I was confused too! The clue mentions "Dizygotic and monozygotic" and then wants you to say what type of twin "this" is. I didn't know which they were referring to. I probably would have said "what are dizygotic are fraternal twins and monozygotic are identical twins".

• Love 11

Here's the twin clue:

It's all coming back to me now, I'm a twin, but dizygotic or monozygotic, also known as this type

So it was asking for the monozygotic name, identical.

3 hours ago, rubaco said:

For some reason I don't think that should have been a BMS. Andrew gave just the first name, apparently thinking it was the last name, so he was wrong.

The only TS I got was Taft...

Except for FJ! I got Anna Karenina almost immediately. I suppose it was a guess, but for long books the first thing that comes to mind is War and Peace, which is by Tolstoy, so I just jumped over to Anna Karenina.

• Love 12