Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Fex said:

Did anyone else think maybe the other two let Maggie have the Neverland answer? So she could play fj? It was beyond a runaway for Doug by then 

Totally. It was nice of them I guess.

I can't stand runaways so this wasn't a great game to me. I did get FJ though and the kendo and bundle TS.

I was glad when Doug tried to sing the Brady theme and no one laughed.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, forumfish said:

All this talk of Lake Geneva put "West End Girls" into my head. Bet it's in yours, too, now.  ;)

It was already there - my mind followed the same path.

Just now, YoureSoUrban said:

I was glad when Doug tried to sing the Brady theme and no one laughed.

The lack of reaction really amused me, too.

• Love 5

Doug isn't annoying me too much <yet>, but his extra-ness has done a 180 since his first game. Today he could barely keep still - like he had to pee really badly.

TS I got were decoy, dan, prospectus. I said 'bundle' instead of 'bundling', so not sure if I would have been given credit. 

Maggie's Harper Lee DD was Teen Tournament level, but it helped her to stick around for FJ so I was glad she answered correctly. Until her FJ wager. How clever <rolls eyes>

I got FJ because of 'lakeside'

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Maggie was a little too precious in the opening, so I couldn’t root for her.

Agree. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

A guest on one of the late night shows recently made fun of Trebek -- either Conan or Seth Meyers, I don't recall which show  The guest put a high-falutin' spin on a fairly common word with a foreign origin and the host ragged on him.  The guy explained he was going for a Trebek pronunciation.

I thought at the time, "I should note this for the PTV fans, they'd get a kick out of it", but I was too lazy, and it was late.

There was a contestant last week (I think; I binge watched the entire season Monday so it could have been the week before), who told AT she was counting on him to give her the correct pronunciation of her French last name. I thought for sure she was going to out herself here as one of us. Her name was Amanda IIRC. 

• Love 5

Khrushchev??? Next they'll put up a photo of Putin (note how I kept politics out of that last sentence...good for me / drink).

Mr. Author and I said "Geneva" together, based---like others have said---on the lake. Otherwise, I wouldn't have had a clue (heh).

• Love 5

The proposal didn't even bother me since I received one myself last week and was still pretty pleased about it, even though I said no...well, I said not now

Ah...the scene from Working Girl. You're not Melanie Griffith by any chance, are you? :-)

A big for-now congrats, teebax (make sure he doesn't want to marry you for your teacher's pay -- hahahahahaha).

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Ah...the scene from Working Girl. You're not Melanie Griffith by any chance, are you? :-)

A big for-now congrats, teebax (make sure he doesn't want to marry you for your teacher's pay -- hahahahahaha).

No.  It's the insurance.

• Love 4

The mention of the lake gave Geneva to me, as well.  I'd like to think that I would have gotten it even without that--the clue mentioned Calvinism, and I was vaguely aware of that Geneva was associated with the Reformation--but I can't be sure.

I was torn about whether I would have said just "The Thing" or "The Thing From Another World."  The original movie had the longer title, while the Kurt Russell remake was simply "The Thing."  I don't remember the exact phrasing as to which movie they wanted.  It's like the twin clue.  It mentioned two different things (no pun intended), and wanted you to somehow figure out which one they were asking about.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I hadn't caught the show all week, but as soon as he sung "The Brady Bunch" to open the game, I understood all the Doug hatred here!

Was it just me, or did he not quite get the melody right?

13 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Clint Eastwood was my guess too.  It didn't help that the clue didn't specify what kind of awards -- the answer might have been different if they're talking about the Emmys.

A guest on one of the late night shows recently made fun of Trebek -- either Conan or Seth Meyers, I don't recall which show  The guest put a high-falutin' spin on a fairly common word with a foreign origin and the host ragged on him.  The guy explained he was going for a Trebek pronunciation.

I thought at the time, "I should note this for the PTV fans, they'd get a kick out of it", but I was too lazy, and it was late.

It's the thought that counts

9 hours ago, forumfish said:

I have no use for "look at meeeeeeee!" types on Jeopardy, no matter how smart they are.

All this talk of Lake Geneva put "West End Girls" into my head. Bet it's in yours, too, now.  ;)

Did anyone else fill in "I'm Sandra Dee" after reading that phrase? Just me then?

6 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Khrushchev??? Next they'll put up a photo of Putin (note how I kept politics out of that last sentence...good for me / drink).

You know, I think they've already done that, though my memory is vague.

17 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I was torn about whether I would have said just "The Thing" or "The Thing From Another World."  The original movie had the longer title, while the Kurt Russell remake was simply "The Thing."  I don't remember the exact phrasing as to which movie they wanted.  It's like the twin clue.  It mentioned two different things (no pun intended), and wanted you to somehow figure out which one they were asking about.

I said "The Thing" - having no clue that the old movie had a longer title. I understood the clue to mean that the movies had the same titles. I guess they decided to accept either title.

• Love 4

I said Geneva based on the word "lake" in the clue. And then it felt right, like maybe I used to know where Calvinism came from. 

For some reason Switzerland popped into my mind and I thought either Zurich or Geneva and went with Genova.  I never even thought of Lake Geneva.  

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I said "The Thing" - having no clue that the old movie had a longer title. I understood the clue to mean that the movies had the same titles. I guess they decided to accept either title.

If you can stand some geeky trivia--and if you don't like geeky trivia, what are you doing in a Jeopardy! thread?--the 1951 movie was originally going to be called "The Thing."  At the last minute, they changed the title to "The Thing from Another World."  There was a novelty song called "The Thing" released around that time by Phil Harris, and they didn't want their scary sci fi monster movie to be confused with this whimsical little song.  A lot of people do call the older movie "The Thing," but the title that appears onscreen is "The Thing from Another World."

I didn't care for Doug saying "Ah, that old chestnut" when the title was revealed, like it was some long-forgotten, dusty old relic.  Both versions of "The Thing" are fine movies, although very different from one another, and both are pretty well-known and respected in the film world.

• Love 14
54 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

Right. Just like I had to go back and look at the twin clue, I'm going to have to revisit The Thing one.

33 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Wasn't that a TS?

Another clue I need to look at again is FJ. So many of you are citing "lakeside" as leading you to Geneva, but since lots of cities are by lakes how does that narrow it down?

• Love 3

There are few things in life as heartwarming as knowing that when you return to this forum after a bit of an absence, you will always find others hating an annoying champion as much as you do.  Thank you, fellow Jeopardy posters!  (Doug?  You're not happening.  Stop trying to make yourself happen.)

Also, I'd like to give a shoutout to the contestant earlier in the week named Carl who looked like he could barely keep his eyes open.  I hope it's not some kind of awful medical condition, because we laughed literally every time they showed him.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

If you can stand some geeky trivia--and if you don't like geeky trivia, what are you doing in a Jeopardy! thread?--the 1951 movie was originally going to be called "The Thing."  At the last minute, they changed the title to "The Thing from Another World."  There was a novelty song called "The Thing" released around that time by Phil Harris, and they didn't want their scary sci fi monster movie to be confused with this whimsical little song.  A lot of people do call the older movie "The Thing," but the title that appears onscreen is "The Thing from Another World."

I'm in the right thread! :) Cool  piece of trivia, thanks!

2 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Another clue I need to look at again is FJ. So many of you are citing "lakeside" as leading you to Geneva, but since lots of cities are by lakes how does that narrow it down?

Although there are lots of lakes in Europe - for me, Lake Geneva is the one that stands out (the Lake Geneva Accords in 1954), and I had a vague memory of something related to Calvanism there. The lake helped me since when it comes to Switzerland I know the cities but am rarely able to pick one. Never even thought of Lucerne. To me that's just a brand of milk.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I didn't care for Doug saying "Ah, that old chestnut" when the title was revealed, like it was some long-forgotten, dusty old relic. 

That bugged me as well since in no way is The Thing an "old chestnut." I've never heard of a movie being an old chestnut, but if I had to choose one, it would be The Rocky Horror Picture Show, which was shown every weekend for a decade or more here, and I'm not in a major city. Doug slipped a few IMO points in brain power after that. Old chestnut definition: "A story that has been told repeatedly before. Hence, in extended use, anything trite, stale, or too often repeated."

"Good for you" is an example of an old chestnut on Jeopardy! As is "Camoo."

• Love 3

Started watching Jeopardy after a long hiatus, and the current champ, "Doug" reminds me of one of my old acquaintances. He's a nice enough guy, but he comes across as such a prig.  All the wincing Alex was doing during the discussion of castration and counter tenors... eeesh!

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Did anyone else fill in "I'm Sandra Dee" after reading that phrase? Just me then?

Yes!  As well as "Lousy with vir-gin-ity!"

• Love 2

Hi Everyone,

I'm a dedicated Jeopardy watcher, from way back in the Art Fleming days as a youngster, but fairly new to this board.  I even tried out a few years ago & tremendously failed at the written exam.  Still, I LOVE the show.  The hubby & I watch while eating dinner nearly every night.  I do GREAT from the comfort of my home.  :)

LOVE the snark here & understand most references, but can someone fill me in on what a "TS" is?

• Love 12
16 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Welcome, Kath94!

A TS is a Triple Stumper, where no one gets the answer right. 

Thanks, bad things are bad.  I would have NEVER got that on my own.

...and I forgot to mention that the hubs & I like to watch as the categories are announced (I add the old "beep boop beep beep" sounds while the dollar values are populated) and we both shout out our best responses as soon as the category appears, winning a high 5 if our response actually shows up in play.

• Love 13
19 minutes ago, Kath94 said:

Thanks, bad things are bad.  I would have NEVER got that on my own.

...and I forgot to mention that the hubs & I like to watch as the categories are announced (I add the old "beep boop beep beep" sounds while the dollar values are populated) and we both shout out our best responses as soon as the category appears, winning a high 5 if our response actually shows up in play.

We don't do the sound effects, but we definitely shout out our best responses and cheer when they show up. Welcome!

1 hour ago, HighMaintenance said:

Started watching Jeopardy after a long hiatus, and the current champ, "Doug" reminds me of one of my old acquaintances. He's a nice enough guy, but he comes across as such a prig.  All the wincing Alex was doing during the discussion of castration and counter tenors... eeesh!

Yes!  As well as "Lousy with vir-gin-ity!"

Pals! Now I've got the whole song going through my mind - I love that song.

• Love 1

Clarifying question on triple stumper.  Is it a triple stumper only if all 3 answer wrong?  What if nobody answers?  Is it still a TS?

Doug is still a douche and I haven't seen Thursday's show.

Edited by PaulaO
  • Love 2
Just now, PaulaO said:

Is it a triple stumper only if all 3 answer wrong?  What is nobody answers?  Is it still a TS?

If the correct answer is not given (whether or not any wrong answers were given), it is a TS. That is why you will see a poster saying "TS I got: X, Y (missed DD), Z". Technically, a missed DD (daily double) would not be a TS, since only one person had the opportunity to answer (it is possible that either (or both) of the other contestants knew the answer and weren't "stumped"). However, a missed DD means no correct answer was given, and therefore by forum rules is a TS.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, forumfish said:

As a woman who:

1) has a two-syllable first name, and

2) has "Dee" for a middle name, and

3) was in junior high school when Grease came out,

I hate that song.

I can totally understand that. Those are completely valid reasons to hate the song.

I imprinted on the song and the musical because it was the first live professional musical I saw at (ACT in SF) - about 4 years before the movie. Though even then the ending offended me a bit.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Kath94 said:

LOVE the snark here & understand most references, but can someone fill me in on what a "TS" is?

I see this has been answered, but, FYI, if you find yourself wondering about anything else you see repeatedly used on the forum, you can check the Glossary thread (which maybe should be pinned, since it's for newbies, and a newbie isn't going to know it exists to go scrolling for it) to see if it's explained there.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, I'm not 100% up with my US history, but doesn't a question about a supreme court justice named Marshall need a BMS?

I thought the same thing. 

I honestly thought Daley and Wilder could have used a BMS as well. But definitely Marshall.

• Love 4

Yay!  Not only did Doug lose, but I got FJ as an instaget! 

I can't imagine why Doug is tragically single....  But Kian was also bugging me with the constant pointing at the board, so I'm extra glad Sarah won.  (Does she have an "h" -- I can't remember!).

I do admit that I didn't give the game my full attention, so the only TS I got were brains and doddering.

• Love 4

Loved Sara Daily Double Bets anyone who takes advantage of the DD like that deserves to win.

also she from my home state so I was pulling for her anyway lol.

Edited by SuperCam1
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, Kath94 said:

While doing such at home where we can't see/hear you is fine, you would be raked through the coals and back on this forum if you ever did even one of those things as a contestant. Keep that in mind when you pass the tests and get on the show. Well, shouting out the answer is generally a bad idea when you are a contestant and haven't rung in. I mean the other two.

46 minutes ago, helpmerhonda said:

I honestly thought Daley and Wilder could have used a BMS as well. But definitely Marshall.

Daley def needed a BMS. There have been two Chicago Mayor Daleys and a third is currently in the new race for Chicago mayor. No, his name is not Kit (or Carson) Daley!

I figured there would be celebrating all around on this forum when Doug went home. I still admire his play, he was calm, never waved his buzzer around or pointed at the board (hello middle guy), and he used shortcuts when asking for clues, all in a professional manner. I think there must be an exhaustion level winners hit when playing game after game after game. Sort of like the wall runners hit. It's not that easy to get to five wins, even if you know the categories and answers.

But holy cats Trebek, did he need such a long personal interview? Geesh. Time limits guys, time limits.

Glad to see a GFY was back. I needed a drink.

I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention but got TS Homeland and Raymond Chandler. FJ was an instaNOTget.

ETA: I also got TS Juicy Couture. How funny is that? Plus wasn't "juicy" part of the clue?

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Clanstarling said:
On 10/3/2018 at 7:22 PM, Moose135 said:

I hadn't caught the show all week, but as soon as he sung "The Brady Bunch" to open the game, I understood all the Doug hatred here!

Was it just me, or did he not quite get the melody right?

That's right which made it that much more wrong. And thanks to Sara we'll never have to hear him sing anything again.

45 minutes ago, helpmerhonda said:

I honestly thought Daley and Wilder could have used a BMS as well.

Agreed. It's also pretty sad to provide photos of Humphrey and Wallace in a category specifically about the 1968 election.

I got the Homeland and Raymond Chandler TS. Had no clue on FJ; I can't believe I've never heard of olive oil referred to as that!

Yaaaaaaaaaaay Sara!

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, helpmerhonda said:

I thought the same thing. 

I agree with this too. Wilder was the one that especially bugged (since it was first) and there's Laura Ingalls Wilder and her daughter Rose Wilder who both wrote frontier books.  That was definitely a BMS to me.  

Daley for the reasons mentioned above.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Ding dong the douche is gone.  

Dammit.  You kind of beat me to it.

I was going to say, ding dong the douche is done!

Seriously, Kian.  What is up with all the pointing?

I love me some Lawrence O'Donnell.

I said truffle oil for FJ, thinking olive oil was too obvious. I'm happy to trade my perfect FJ score this week for a Doug loss.

• Love 7

I love Sara!  She's nice, normal, smart, and a gutsy wagerer.  I so want to see the musical version of Silence of the Lambs.  Plus, she got rid of Doug, whose pandering for a boyfriend on a TV game show grossed me out.  I was surprised Kian had so much money going into FJ since I only remember him as "guy wildly waving his buzzer, staring at it when he didn't ring in, and pointing at the board if he did".   Oh!  And he got a GFY.  Drink!  ?

The pictures of Hubert Humphrey and George Wallace were as bad as yesterday's Khrushchev photo.  Gimme a break, writers.

I got Raymond Chandler, Brains, Coty, and doddering.

FJ was an instaget!  Yay!  I'm having another drink!  ?

• Love 13
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

Ding dong the douche is gone.  Sara’s got moxie.  I like her.

I don't...and it's not even her fault...she reminds me of someone else I don't like and I want her to go..soon.

• Love 1

I like Sara. 

I loved the category title "If I Were In Richmond."

Boy, for the first few clues Kian very frustrated not being able to ring in.

TSs I got were Homeland, Raymond Chandler, and Coty. Instead of Brains (for the Steve Martin movie), I mistakenly said Heads.

Also, instead of doddering, I said tottering. Not sure if that would have been accepted.

FJ was pretty easy.

• Love 5

I wish they would be consistent about when they are going to rule against someone or ask for more information. At least twice tonight Alex all but lead Doug to the answer. 

It was a good game.  Am I correct that unless there were technical difficulties Doug did not qualify for any tournaments or anything?   I am glad I fast forward through the intro and the interviews.  I missed the Brady Bunch....and the dating plea.  I don't, however, know anything about the new champ or the man in the middle. Although I got several clues today was not my best day. 

• Love 8

I thought Alex telling Doug that “it helps with the process” on the venting question was over the line.

FJ was an Instaget doing well this week which means tomorrow’s FJ will probably be related to the Bible.

• Love 15
15 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

I wish they would be consistent about when they are going to rule against someone or ask for more information. At least twice tonight Alex all but lead Doug to the answer. 

Also, the one when Doug said "antennae" and Alex asked him to BMS.  Alex came up with "TV antennae."  The correct answer was "satellite dishes."  WTH Alex, antennae should have been an immediate no.

• Love 15
22 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

I am glad I fast forward through the intro and the interviews.  I missed the Brady Bunch....and the dating plea.

The Brady Bunch thing wasn't in an interview or intro; it was the answer to one of the Kids clues last night (where you identified the TV show based on the list of [some of] its kid characters), and he said, "What is" normally but then sang the "The Brady Bunch" portion of his answer.  Only he did it in a way that only vaguely approximated the actual melody of the theme song, so the audience had absolutely no reaction, which made me laugh.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

I thought Alex telling Doug that “it helps with the process” on the venting question was over the line.

FJ was an Instaget doing well this week which means tomorrow’s FJ will probably be related to the Bible.

Right? WTF was that? Besides I thought what they were going for was ventilation not venting. I wasn't sure if they just accepted venting. I've never seen Alex lead a contestant like that, usually it's just BMS. Doug also should not have gotten another chance on antennae either.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

Also, the one when Doug said "antennae" and Alex asked him to BMS.  Alex came up with "TV antennae."  The correct answer was "satellite dishes."  WTH Alex, antennae should have been an immediate no.

A satellite dish is an antenna, a specialized type of parabolic antenna.

• Love 9
28 minutes ago, ChromaKelly said:

I've never seen Alex lead a contestant like that, usually it's just BMS.

I have a vague memory of AT "helping" one of those lady contestants he sometimes gets a crush on.

I was disappointed the the body part category didn't include "The Man with the Golden Arm."  I yelled that and "My Left Foot" as soon as the category was announced. THEN I remembered the Monkees' "Head."

I'm very glad Douche is gone. I can see why he's tragically single. Showboat.  I think there's a possibility Alex is getting bored and he's gravitating to these flamboyant contestants, not realizing WHY the audience watches the show.

• Love 6

Bye Doug! I like Sara - smart, wagers big, calm, & she seems happy to be there without being over the top. She also reminds me a lot of my assistant. Kian & the pointing - oy! But he got a GFY <drink> 

TS I got were Homeland, Chandler, Juicy Couture, Coty. I thought the Notre Dame clue was way overvalued at $1,000.

• Love 8