Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Directv Now finally lets me record Jeopardy, and all is right with my world again.  Well, my tv game show world, at least.  Caught up just in time to see the end of Doug's streak.  I liked him, but he had a good run.  I really liked Sara too, and I shared her obvious joy at scooping up "Colors of the Wind" from the annoying Adam.  "Colors of the Rainbow," indeed.  Can't stand him and his buzz in then think up an answer style.  I really hope he's a one-and-done.

23 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I’m laughing at all you Doug haters. Welcome to Adam, the bobbing, weaving, swaying, buzzer flailing board jumper. You got what you wished for, Doug gone. Doug dressed well, chose clues with decorum, stood still and upright, never revealed his buzzer hand. I hope Adam stays for a month or more. Doug haters deserve him for that long or longer. Team Adam Forever!

Ha!  I missed most of the Doug hatred, but I knew it was out there.  He had personality for sure.  I'd prefer three of him behind the lecterns to one Adam.  Please don't wish this on the world.

I didn't get wrestling, but did get the Spanish-American War.  Friday's FJ escaped me; military history isn't a strong point, and there's a lot of it, even dealing with "allies."  I wouldn't have landed on D-Day without something more of a hint re: time or place.

On 9/20/2018 at 12:06 PM, Mystery Author said:

I visited the John Steinbeck Museum a couple of years ago. It's an incredible place, and I bought a T-shirt that says timshel.

High five. East of Eden is wonderful. Steinbeck is my favorite author (tied with Austen ... I contain multitudes). I visited the museum and some other Steinbeck sites in Monterey years ago in connection with a class I was taking, and I got to go inside Doc's lab. I have a picture of me not touching his record player.

Edited by Lois Sandborne
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, Bastet said:

I got Bolivar and quadruple bogie (and wrestling).  I didn't know quadruple bogie, I guessed it based on Sara's wrong answer of double bogie.  I know shit about golf, so my real answer was "something with four" based on the math, so when Sara seemed to know what she was talking about with bogie, yet it was wrong, I figured it was just the "double" part and guessed "quadruple bogie" because of four.  Now, I would never have potentially embarrassed myself by guessing that in a game, but that's what I did at home.

The clue also stipulated Seinfeld cast member, so they should have accepted just about anything, including Elaine, because that clue was so ridiculously easy (she's the only female star of that show, so once you give away Seinfeld and she/her, you might as well put up a picture and just be done with it) they deserve whatever they get.  I think Adam was trying to remember how to pronounce her name, and decided to just go with Dreyfus.

Oh yeah, the clue was Toddler Jeopardy territory. My objection to accepting Dreyfus wasn't so much that there are other Dreyfuses out there, but that that's not her complete last name. Would they have accepted "Louis"? I guess I'm being picky.

• Love 7
On 10/6/2018 at 4:28 PM, Fex said:

Going back a couple days... I just turned on the TV, and guess what is on TCM? "The Thing From Another World" - and I am shocked to find that they are at the North Pole!!! Went back to look at the clue: "After the last plane leaves the South Pole each summer, winter-over crews view this 1951 film & the 1982 remake." So, it is asking for the 1951 film, but doesn't say that the films take place at the South Pole - just the people who watch the movies!

Interesting point.  Yes, the 1951 version is set at the North Pole.  The remake (and the original short story "Who Goes There?") is set at the South Pole.  And the exact phrasing of the clue ("this 1951 film") does suggest that they were asking for the earlier movie.

There was a lot of ice, is what matters!

• Love 4

I like the new champ, thought I would have been okay with the woman winning, too.

Amazingly, I got FJ!  I tried to think of a different response, but the correct one was all I could think of that might be remotely correct.  

I also got the missed DD of Blithe Spirit, but that’s all I wrote down tonight.

• Love 9

Congrats to Alex!  I would have been happy with Lee, too.  See ya, Adam, you arrogant buzzer masher.

Two GFY!  Drink, drink!  ??

Tonight's famous person's picture - Emma Watson.  Drink!  ?

I got no TS.  FJ was an instaget, basically because Moses was the only Biblical lawgiver I could think of.

• Love 11

I get a little uneasy when someone is introduced as a standup comic, thinking, "Ugh, here comes the schtick." I was happy that Alex was not like that. I didn't get an arrogant vibe from Adam, though I see what drove people crazy with the swaying. Lee was OK but so timid with her answers. I got Blithe Spirit also, and FJ was an instaget. Justinian was kind of a Goofy Guess, since he was a Christian and a lawgiver but never appeared in the Bible.

• Love 7

I like the new champ, although I was slightly amused by his pronouncing Eminem with the stress on the first syllable. EM-inem. I made the same face that Jim Halpert made to camera when Phyllis asked about one-night stands.

• Love 6

All I got was an instaget of FJ. There weren’t a lot of TS’s and I blew on the few that were. I wasn’t fond of Adam and would have been happy with either Lee or Alex winning. Lol...my best category was the hard liquor one. I treated myself to a cognac after the game. Just one finger. 

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Justinian was kind of a Goofy Guess, since he was a Christian and a lawgiver but never appeared in the Bible.

At least Justinian is one of the images. I never knew marble images of lawmakers were over that door, so I was thinking they must be pics of supreme court justices. You know, Ruth Bader Ginsberg, John Roberts, Clarence Thomas. So my answer was Jesus. He's in the Bible, right? I did think of God since I figure he's the one who wrote the tablets that Moses found. But I went with Jesus since God never showed up on Earth. That I know of anyway.

I since have looked up the images. And now I know.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5

Bye, Adam.  

Tonight I got zither (the music in The Third Man is awesome) and FJ.

Good start to my week.  Well, my Jeopardy week.  Real life week kinda sucks. 

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Tonight I got zither (the music in The Third Man is awesome) and FJ.

I agree, I love The Third Man Theme and can hear it in my head, but I couldn't come up with zither. Hey, at least your Jeopardy week is going well. One out of a bunch is still one. Chin up, Pooh Bear.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

"Letter in a bottle"??

Yeah, that famous Sting song. I can hear it now in my head. I can listen to Sting while reading the Nicholas Sparks book with the same name.

• Love 8

Apparently my several visits to the US Capitol trump my achielles heel of biblical knowledge because FJ was an IG.

I didn’t really like Adam but did appreciate his head shake and grimace when he said “Oliver North” and his Vote! In FJ.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I like the new champ, thought I would have been okay with the woman winning, too.

Amazingly, I got FJ!  I tried to think of a different response, but the correct one was all I could think of that might be remotely correct.  

I also got the missed DD of Blithe Spirit, but that’s all I wrote down tonight.

I thought of Moses quickly, than amused myself hoping someone would answer God. Even though I don't think you call a depiction of God a "portrait".

I can't remember the dollar value, but a clue that is basically "what is the capital of Indiana" is too easy for Double Jeopardy.

• Love 7
36 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I didn’t really like Adam but did appreciate his head shake and grimace when he said “Oliver North” and his Vote! In FJ.

I meant to say the same thing. Yes, VOTE. Tomorrow is the last day to register to vote in many states.

Thanks to today's episode, I found out Cynthia Nixon lost her election.

9 minutes ago, Fex said:

I can't remember the dollar value, but a clue that is basically "what is the capital of Indiana" is too easy for Double Jeopardy.

After that clue was revealed, I thought they could have gotten rid of all the extraneous words and just written "This is the capital of Indiana." Or to make it tougher, "This Midwestern capital is the name of its state with 'polis' added to the end."

Got a laugh out of the woman player who, after Trebek said she had an advantage with FJ being about "art," said "it really wasn't." I hate when they announce a category, then the clue is never about that subject.

I'm starting to get touchy about woman players who consistently get beaten by men. What's up with that.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, YoureSoUrban said:

"Letter in a bottle"??

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Yeah, that famous Sting song. I can hear it now in my head. I can listen to Sting while reading the Nicholas Sparks book with the same name.

I saw Sting in concert about 13 years ago. He opened with "Message in a Bottle." Hearing it live, it still sounded like "I'll send an S.O.S. to a squirrel."

No clue on zither or Blithe Spirit, but I did guess right on FJ with lawgiver: Ten Commandments, Laws of Moses, etc.

• Love 16

I would have liked to hear more about Lee. What is she doing in Maine after being an art curator at the Smithsonian?

As for "VOTE" - I read both Lyft & Uber are offering free rides to the polls next month. Good for them!

Following the link to You Tube to listen to the 3rd Man Theme, after the Anton Karas version plays, the next one is the Beatles. Not a zither, but I'm enjoying it. THANKS.  Oh, now Chet Atkins is playing it on his guitar. What a great morning!!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

As for "VOTE" - I read both Lyft & Uber are offering free rides to the polls next month. Good for them!

Wow. That's wonderful. I hope the word gets out.

Following the link to You Tube to listen to the 3rd Man Theme, after the Anton Karas version plays, the next one is the Beatles. Not a zither, but I'm enjoying it. 

Sitar?

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Following the link to You Tube to listen to the 3rd Man Theme, after the Anton Karas version plays, the next one is the Beatles. Not a zither, but I'm enjoying it. THANKS.  Oh, now Chet Atkins is playing it on his guitar. What a great morning!!

I did the same last night! It was so fun. Plus the movie The Third Man is in the queue to play, all 1-1/2 hours of it. Orson Wells!

• Love 3
17 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Same. I won't miss him, but when I picked up on that, I had to ease up on the white-hot rage. Down to red-hot.

That was a really good game. I don't think I got any TSes, although I agreed with Leah that the final was stupid easy. I was shocked when Adam missed it.

18 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

"Letter in a bottle"??

18 hours ago, saber5055 said:

LOL. At this point I was still grudging Adam every dollar, and I was also convinced that "clam it!" is a real expression (I shouted it out on my couch at the same time Alex did) and that Alex had been cheated. It took me until after the game to realize I was thinking of "cram it" and needed to get some air.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Lois Sandborne said:

It took me until after the game to realize I was thinking of "cram it" and needed to get some air.

There is a joke in there, but I'm not going to be the one to say/write it. Still, made me laugh.

• Love 3

I was watching football last night, so I just checked the archive for the clues.  I guessed Moses for FJ, but more because he's one of about three dudes in the Bible whose names come to me than because I truly knew he had anything to do with laws.

I groaned at seeing a military history category in the first round, but the presence of one about liquor offset that.  I always do well in vocabulary categories like "EZ" too, so that was a decent round.

I did really well in DJ, except I was as stumped by Lithuania as the contestants were.  I didn't know whist or The Hunger Games, but I think I got pretty much everything other than those three.

• Love 2

Jen was driving me insane with her vocal fry!  Oddly, it was not apparent in the interview segment, but every time she picked a clue (sooooo slooooowwwwly), or responded, it made my throat hurt.  I'm glad Alex got the last clue and made it a runaway.  Too bad they didn't finish the board, especially the People in Science category -- I liked that one.

I completely blanked on FJ, though it was a headdesk moment when the correct response was revealed.  D'oh!  I had it narrowed down to someone European at least.

I did, however, get the TS of redwood, alpha (on a guess), and Mary Leakey.  I was disappointed that none of them knew her. 

• Love 8

I guessed Boris Pasternak. Just because I knew the USSR wouldn’t let him accept his Nobel Prize for literature so maybe there was a chance he was also nominated for the Peace Prize. 

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:
28 minutes ago, illdoc said:

But..but...he didn't do his "Churchill" impersonation for FJ!!! 

I completely blanked on FJ, though it was a headdesk moment when the correct response was revealed.  D'oh!  I had it narrowed down to someone European at least.

Same here. A Churchill impersonation would have been helpful, but then the clue didn't include a Churchill quote. My mind went to Eastern Europe and Milan Kundera, although the date of 1953 was way off.

I got redwood, Leroy Nieman Marcus, and Dear Wife. I knew the last name of Leakey, but said "Jane Leakey" by mistake, confusing her with Jane Goodall. Shoulda stuck with last name only.

Congrats to Alex for a runaway victory. I agree about Jen's vocal fry, though it wasn't as bad as some I've heard. I wouldn't have minded Greg as champ, either. There was a long pause before one of his answers was declared correct--I wonder why.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I saw Sting in concert about 13 years ago. He opened with "Message in a Bottle." Hearing it live, it still sounded like "I'll send an S.O.S. to a squirrel."

And now I will never hear that lyric the same way again - thanks a lot Dr. Scottie! LOL

It's a shame how many clues were left on the DJ round board. I blame Greg and Jen for their slow picks and answers. For TS I got Leroy Neiman Marcus and Mary Leakey. I think Leakey alone would have called for a BMS since Louis and Richard (husband and son) were also paleoanthropologists. FJ was an instaguess - I wasn't sure if he was still alive in '53.

The trend continues with a photo of Qadaffi.

• Love 7

I got redwood, Leroy Neiman Marcus, and Leakey (although I just said that. Not sure if I would have come up with Mary if I got a BMS).

I had no clue for FJ, which seemed fairly obvious after the fact.  Double d'oh!!

• Love 6

It may just be me, but I heard the Champ answer "Victoria Secret Santa" and was ruled correct.  The answer is actually "Victoria's Secret Santa".

As a crossword puzzle fanatic, I was most disappointed at not getting a look at the $1600 and $2000 clues.  The first three were easy.

I wonder if "Darling Wife" would've also been acceptable.

2/2 on FJs.  This could be my week!

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

The trend continues with a photo of Qadaffi.

And when the answer was given, Alex finished by saying the first name and when he started "Mo..." I thought, "Really?! You're going to ask for 'more specific' on this one?!" Then he just finished saying the name. LOL

• Love 3

The redwood TS really surprised me; alpha a bit, too, but that one really threw me.  (I knew Mary Leaky as well, but that one didn’t surprise me at all, sadly, and I also got Leroy Neiman Marcus but wasn't surprised to see that one go unanswered, either).

FJ, though, was a total blank for me.

I thought based on the category I was going to struggle in the Greek letter category, but those were easy clues.  The Amanpour clues were easy, too, but I wasn’t dreading that one.  I must thank the Everything Else TV forums here on pTV for me immediately knowing the abbreviations of shows I don’t watch in the TV For Short category – I’ve spent so long seeing them in discussion of various issues and trends on TV, they translated with no problem.  I had a good first round.

Decent in the DJ round.  I’m so annoyed they didn’t finish the crossword clues category.

I'm joining others in wondering about Alex’s delay in ruling Barnes & Noble gases correct?  I didn't hear any mumbling that would have led them to have to consider whether the contestant said it right.  And WTF with “Can I do that?” on the $2500 DD bet, Jen?  Um, yes.  And speak with some confidence, damn.

Not content with showing photos, like of Gaddafi, this time they progressed to showing long performance clips to identify Gwen Stefani, P!nk, and Shawn Mendes.  (Now, the P!nk clue is the only one that would have got me to the answer without the clip, but they could have written better clues rather than going the "identify the musical artist seen here" route.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, SHD said:

Every time I looked at Jen, all I saw was Allison Tolman. 

Me too!

1 minute ago, Bastet said:

Now, the P!nk clue is the only one that would have got me to the answer without the clip, but they could have written better clues rather than going the "identify the musical artist seen here" route.)

I was disappointed they showed the video because, like you, I knew it without the video.

For TSs I got redwood, Leroy Neiman Marcus, and Leakey. 

Instead of saying that Job shaved his head like The Rock, I said he shaved his chest. 

I didn't get FJ. I threw a dart at the board and said Gandhi.

• Love 6

In the Job DW clue, I thought they were looking for Job's wife's name, not for what DW  stood for.  Same for the Redwoods clue; I couldn't figure out fast enough what they were asking for.  On the Barnes & Noble gases, I wondered if I heard Barnes & Nobles and that was the reason for the pause. 

I got Churchill though it was more a guess because I wasn't certain Churchill was that prolific a writer.

• Love 1

Congrats to Alex again.  We had two GFY.  ??

Like y'all I was extremely annoyed with the addition of "video clues of famous people" on top of the Gaddafi picture.  Unfortunately, I'm so out of touch, that I only recognized Pink.  I get Gwen Stefani and Christina Aguilera confused so I said Christina and I've never heard tell of that Shawn Mendes kid. (That's how he spells it?  Not Sean?  Damn, get off my lawn.)

I got redwood, Mary Leakey (no one ever seems to know her ?), and dear wife.

I wracked my brain for FJ and just threw JFK out there, although I knew it was wrong.  I was thinking of Profiles in Courage as the book.

• Love 7

I had a brain freeze on Mary Leakey’s first name and said Maeve Leakey instead (who was her daughter-in-law, Richard’s wife). I did say Dearest Wife, but I don’t know if they would have taken that. I did get FJ, mostly because of the year of 1953. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SHD said:

Every time I looked at Jen, all I saw was Allison Tolman. 

I did too. I don't think Allison Tolman has that same vocal fry though. It was particularly bad. 

Got Winston Churchill, but I don't remember anything else. I was watching Game 4 of the ALDS. 

• Love 2