Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

In the Big Farmer category, "Around 1900, strongman Louis Cyr held 2 of these pulling in opposite directions; one later came to work on his farm."

Thanks for posting the clue Bastet. Not sure if I would have gotten it, but it did make me think of the Levi logo. In which case I might have answered "A pair of blue jeans."

levis-logo.jpg

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

So I got Hercules pretty quickly--only I said "Heracles," 'cause I'm pretentious like that! :-)

Moi, aussi!

Edited by ABay
  • Love 4

I gotta like anyone who knows both Hitchhiker and Brigadoon.  I liked him before but that just makes it official. 

I got FJ before I saw the picture- nothing else made sense.  Unless they had shown Mayfair for My Fair Lady but that would have been just bizarre. 

• Love 7

Congrats again to Alex!  And FJ was an instaget for me -- I've been there, and even walked over the bridge and back.  It's lovely in person.  But the clue seemed a little ambiguous -- did they want the name of the bridge, or the name of the play?  The bridge is "Brig O' Doon", but the play is "Brigadoon".  Or would they have accepted either? 

I also got the TS of macrame, maelstrom, and Newfoundland. 

1 minute ago, M. Darcy said:

I gotta like anyone who knows both Hitchhiker and Brigadoon.  I liked him before but that just makes it official. 

Ditto.  I saw someone the other day with a Venn diagram T-shirt that had three circles labelled "Life", "The Universe", and "Everything", and where they intersected was "42".  Total stranger, but I had to compliment him on it.

• Love 13

I want that T shirt.

Well, not that actual one. Because then what would that guy wear? One like it.

Lerner & Lowe are my favorites so Brigadoon was an instant get. It saddens me that tech version cut so many of the fun songs, either for modesty or to give more dance time to Gene Kelly. That's my memory of it anyway.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 2

Tonight was macrame, German, Newfoundland and FJ. 

I loved that they had actual film of Annie Oakley. I’m going to have to google that to see more. 

Saber I was upset for you that they didn’t finish the dog category, because I know you would have gotten all of the answers. 

• Love 3

My 13-year-old perks up at any mythology category - and of course said *eye roll* um Heracles. I'm so proud.

I am loving Alex! For a writer and comedian, he's so unassuming and...genial! I've been stinking up a storm lately, so I missed Brigadoon, though I love me some Lerner & Loewe. That one is my Achilles heel, I guess.  

I liked the two new contestants fine, but am so happy Alex is still champ! 

• Love 3

I was engrossed in a Words With Friends battle for my life and the part of my brain that was still trying to watch Jeopardy! just couldn't keep up. For instance I had a picture in my mind of macrame but couldn't for the life of me think of the word in time.

But yay Alex! It seemed to me he was having a really good time playing today. I think he enjoyed the competition from Middle Guy.

I could have stared at that bridge for the rest of my life and not gotten the answer.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

But the clue seemed a little ambiguous -- did they want the name of the bridge, or the name of the play?  The bridge is "Brig O' Doon", but the play is "Brigadoon". 

It wasn't ambiguous; they wanted the title of the play -- "The title of this Lerner and Loewe musical"

I didn't get it, though.

Halftime was over before J! was, but the Giants were playing so awful I decided to spare myself a bit of it and stick with this game.

Seoul was a bit surprising as a TS, but only a bit because people suck at geography.  Maelstrom surprised me a bit, too.  Actually, German, too; because of the name, I figured someone would ring in with that as a guess (it was pure guess for me, too).  I guessed Chevron and Rite-Aid, too, but those going unanswered didn’t surprise me – you either know stock symbols from playing the market hard core, or just guess well at them based on a given clue.

I’m a dunce who had never heard of the X,Y,Z affair, but I got the other DDs.

I love rhyme time categories.  I love all vocabulary categories.  Dog breed categories, not so much; other than Dalmation and a few others, ask me what kind of dog, and I’ll tell you something like “a medium-sized brown one.”  I prefer mutts, anyway.

I didn’t know the history of the tattoo needle, and I have two tattoos – that was a particularly fun “learn something new every day” moment.

Only having to name Daphne OR Velma?  Come on.  (But that and the Jetsons were the only ones I got in that category.)  And a picture of Alexis Bledel in a category about Alexises?!

• Love 1

Yay, Alex!

I got Rite Aid and maelstrom, plus the DD of macramé. Instead of frost cost I said ice price. Ruling?

I also got Brigadoon. I was thinking that even before I saw the photo. I don't know why.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Instead of frost cost I said ice price. Ruling?

No go; I believe ice was already in the clue (probably via ice crystals, but the archive isn't updated so I can't check), so it would have to be a specific type, not just ice.

28 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Halftime was over before J! was, but the Giants were playing so awful I decided to spare myself a bit of it and stick with this game.

#FlyEaglesFly

However, as a long suffering Philly fan, the fact that they will somehow manage to blow it is always in the back of my mind.

Another stellar game for me tonight.  

I was even paying attention. In my defense, 1947 is before my time. ;-)

• Love 2

Good game, and I'm glad Alex pulled out the win. I wasn't even too annoyed with his DD hunting; he knew he had competition in Patrick. 

Kristina reminded me of an older Alex Dunphy from Modern Family.

TS I got were Seoul, Chevron, Rite Aid, German; FJ was an instaget. I wonder if typhoon spoon would have been accepted in lieu of monsoon spoon? I'm guessing not since I think a typhoon is more wind than rain & the clue specified rain. 

@saber5055 I was disappointed on your behalf that they did not complete the dog category. And disappointed for all of us for missing out on a couple more pics of cute dogs. 

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I had some coffee M&Ms this weekend. Tres delicious!

ETA: "Buzzer flourishes" -- TM Toothbrush

If they can figure how to incorporate red wine into the coffee M&Ms, it will be the trifecta of my 3 favorite foods groups ;-)

My very own TM!! 

5 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

In that case -  you like me; you really like me! 

2 hours ago, lb60 said:

#FlyEaglesFly

However, as a long suffering Philly fan, the fact that they will somehow manage to blow it is always in the back of my mind.

As a long suffering Saints fan I feel your pain. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 6

I'm 50/50 on FJ this week so far - that's astounding for me lately! I have no idea why I knew today's though. I was amused by the guess of Bridge Over Troubled Water.

I skip the interviews, so other than saying Alex is a writer and comedian, have they mentioned that he writes for Cracked.com?

• Love 2

I instantly yelled Brigadoon. I legit have no idea where that came from because I have never seen it and have no idea what it’s about.

I thought it was nice that Alexis Ohanian got a clue that didn’t reference his wife! 

Edited by biakbiak
7 hours ago, SHD said:

I'm 50/50 on FJ this week so far - that's astounding for me lately! I have no idea why I knew today's though. I was amused by the guess of Bridge Over Troubled Water.

I wish I said Bridge Over Troubled Water. The only one thing came to mind for me - which I knew was absolutely wrong but I couldn't get it out of my head and would never have written it down  - was Bridge on the River Kwai.

• Love 8
On 10/10/2018 at 3:25 PM, saber5055 said:
On 10/10/2018 at 3:14 PM, peeayebee said:

Ever since I came up with Not Sufficient Funds to remember the west-to-east order of Norway, Sweden, and Finland, whenever I do see that phrase or "NSF" I picture those countries.

Hopefully, you do not see NSF often.

Where you WANT to see it a lot is at the veterinarian's (I don't know if it's the same for human doctors) where it means No Significant Findings. They use either that or WNL for Within Normal Limits. My favorite acronym vets use is ADR - Ain't Doin' Right - for a pet with not-so-obvious troubles.

I first said Hercules, then "underworld" caught my eye and I though of the Offenbach opera, "Orpheus in the Underworld" but decided, no, the answer had to be Hercules.  Whew! Dodged a bullet there!

I couldn't think of any Lerner & Lowe shows beyond My Fair Lady & Brigadoon, so that one was easy...EXCEPT when the category was announced, I told the cats, "Hamilton" because isn't that ALL the B'way answers for the past 2 years or so?  I didn't pay much attention to Thursday night's show; I was in the kitchen, listening, as I prepared dinner. I do recall yelling out MACRAME at the pot of rice that was simmering.

• Love 7

I didn't mind Alex at first, but have grown to dislike him so much that I didn't even bother to set the vcr for tonight's show.  I was very disappointed that neither of the other contestants got FJ.  Maybe it's just the runaway games which bug me, although last night wasn't one.

I wonder if they would've accepted Herakles instead of Hercules.  I mean, I answered Hercules, but the other should also be correct since it's the Greek name and came first.

20 hours ago, Bastet said:

In the Big Farmer category, "Around 1900, strongman Louis Cyr held 2 of these pulling in opposite directions; one later came to work on his farm."

I had never heard of Cyr, but horses seemed like the logical answer, so that's what I guessed.  I was a bit surprised none of the contestants did, especially since it was only the $400 clue.  (Mary guessed ox, and nobody else rang in.)

Oxen wasn't a completely illogical answer, but once that was wrong, someone should've said horses.

15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also got the TS of macrame, maelstrom, and Newfoundland.

I got maelstrom and macramé (after discarding crochet) but not Newfoundland.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

Seoul was a bit surprising as a TS, but only a bit because people suck at geography.

I said Beijing first, but Seoul was my next answer.  I'm really surprised neither of the other contestants tried guessing another Asian capital.

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

I’m a dunce who had never heard of the X,Y,Z affair, but I got the other DDs.

I've vaguely heard of it, but didn't get it right.  I said the Dreyfus affair.

15 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Saber I was upset for you that they didn’t finish the dog category, because I know you would have gotten all of the answers. 

10 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

@saber5055 I was disappointed on your behalf that they did not complete the dog category.

Bless your hearts, both of you. Of course, the Dog category was left for last because brainiacs know opera and mythology but not dog (or any animal) breeds. I said the answers for all three before Trebek had even finished reading the clue. Side note on the Skye terrier: When I worked for a professional handler, my job was to get the Skye ready every morning, bathe him, blow dry his coat, prep him for the ring. After the fourth day without a problem, the handler told me I was the first assistant that the dog hadn't bitten. I took that as a vote of confidence (on the dog's part) in my skillz.

Another side note: The Canary Islands were named so because of the giant dogs that lived there, not the little bird. I believe the bird was named so after the islands.

In Canada, the only correct colors for a Newfoundland are black and Landseer (black and white). Edwin Landseer was a fantastic dog artist. I could run a category on that, too. The Museum of the Dog just moved from St. Louis to NYC. It's spectacular, even if you don't fancy the subject. Wonderful paintings and bronzes.

I got a laugh out of macramé being a TS. Obviously, none of those players lived through the macramé craze. You know, when everyone in my family got hand-made plant hangers and belts. I was pretty good at those knots.

The answer of maestro ... did it make anyone else think of a Seinfeld episode? Anyone? Just me? Okay then.

I missed hearing the answer maelstrom (another windy day). I would have gotten that answer too, having been a devoted watcher of Lost. (Other Lost viewers will know what I mean.)

Yesterday during the interview Trebek told the middle player, who used to do construction/pour cement, "don't let it get away from you." That was the same as telling someone not to quit their day job when they're trying something new ... like BEING ON JEOPARDY. Trebek is such a jackass.

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

The only one thing came to mind for me - which I knew was absolutely wrong but I couldn't get it out of my head and would never have written it down  - was Bridge on the River Kwai.

OMG! We are astral twins once again. That's exactly what came to my mind because it was the only bridge I could think of. No way would I have written it (I'd be Jep Shamed online!) either. Agree totally with the poster who said he/she could stare at the bridge photo until the end of time and not be able to name it.

My high school put on Brigadoon, the only time I've seen that play. I pretty much don't remember anything that happened in high school, thank god, including Brigadoon. I do sort of remember sitting in the audience if that counts.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

The answer of maestro ... did it make anyone else think of a Seinfeld episode? Anyone? Just me? Okay then.

I actually thought of One Day At A Time first. They also had an ep called The Maestro.

• Love 1

FJ! was an instaget.  I also got Newfoundland.   The Exowriters category?  I had no idea what the theme was, but got Beckett.  Never heard of the XYZ affair.  And horses, of course!

Bob Cobb, The Maestro.

Edited by PaulaO
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

OMG! We are astral twins once again. That's exactly what came to my mind because it was the only bridge I could think of. No way would I have written it (I'd be Jep Shamed online!) either. Agree totally with the poster who said he/she could stare at the bridge photo until the end of time and not be able to name it.

I'm SO glad someone else thought it too - especially you, twin. :)

• Love 1

Yesterday during the interview Trebek told the middle player, who used to do construction/pour cement, "don't let it get away from you." That was the same as telling someone not to quit their day job when they're trying something new ... like BEING ON JEOPARDY. Trebek is such a jackass.

I didn't hear it like that. It seemed to me AT thought it was a valuable skill that might be lost if you don't keep it up. When I was a kid, we had all sorts of fancy sidewalks around our house in Miami because my grandfather, who lived next door, used to be a concrete worker and laid many sidewalks in Philadelphia. It didn't matter that later he became a sheet metal worker, working with his brother-in-law - he kept up the concrete skills in his spare time. It was something he loved doing, but there wasn't much call for it in suburban Miami.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, PaulaO said:

The Exowriters category?  I had no idea what the theme was

This is what sometimes happens when contestants don't start at the top of categories. I was actually googling exowriter when someone finally picked the first clue which explained it.

I've heard of the XYZ Affair but couldn't remember what it was.

• Love 4

I knew Brigadoon, but only with the picture.  When I hear Lerner & Loewe, I think of MFL and Gigi.

19 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Those are exactly my sentimonies.  Crossing my fingers for Alex to cross the five day mark today today.

10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I thought it was nice that Alexis Ohanian got a clue that didn’t reference his wife! 

That was nice, but I still spent a couple minutes trying to figure out why I really know his name.  I hope he doesn't mind being Mr. Serena.

• Love 1

@saber5055 I spent way too much time at the grocery store this afternoon looking for coffee M&Ms. Didn't find them, but really it's for the best...lol

13 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Dr. Toothbrush said 'Mr. Serena Williams' when the clue came up. I was surprised he knew they were married; pop culture is my forte, not his. 

7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Where you WANT to see it a lot is at the veterinarian's (I don't know if it's the same for human doctors) where it means No Significant Findings. They use either that or WNL for Within Normal Limits. My favorite acronym vets use is ADR - Ain't Doin' Right - for a pet with not-so-obvious troubles.

My hubby is a pediatrician & he said he uses WNL. He got a big kick out of ADR! 

2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

This is what sometimes happens when contestants don't start at the top of categories.

Exactly! I figured out where the category was about with the first clue chosen, but at least a couple of the contestants seemed not to get it. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 4
48 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

I spent way too much time at the grocery store this afternoon looking for coffee M&Ms. Didn't find them, but really it's for the best...lol

I walked in on a conversation about the coffee M&Ms at a dog show. People were split whether they were good or not, so I helped myself to one and proclaimed it delicious. They were the peanut variety. The M&M owner is from northeastern Indiana (South Bend! Ronald Regan premiere country!) so maybe they are regional. Or maybe they were gifted to this guy by someone from another part of the country. I should have asked!

• Love 2

Finally, a week where I had more FJ right than wrong!  Disappointed that Alex lost, though it was a good, close game.  New champ lost me with his gesture at the end -- that's gotta have a name, right?  That "Yes!" gesture with your fist?  Not being able to come up with things like this is why I'll never try out for the game!  Anyway, it seemed a little like gloating.

I pre-guessed Time In A Bottle for the Time Songs category -- I was glad to see that it was not only there, but that it was not a TS.  Funny how they were all good at the older songs, but whiffed the newer one.  As did I. 

TS/missed DD I got included curtain calls, seminar, neck, fig leaf, and Balloon Dog.

• Love 4

I got all 3 DD’s plus all time low, balloon dog and FJ. Really when I think of Dickens it’s the first book that comes to mind. It was 8th grade required reading (and quizzes). 

Gee Alex almost made it to the ToC. I would like to have seen him make it as he stayed pretty humble and not OTT. Still I thought all three contestants were good tonight, so congratulations to Alan. 

• Love 3

Poor Alex. I'm really glad Middle Guy didn't win.

I got the curtain call missed DD but no TS. FJ was an instaget.

I didn't know you could guess wrong but correct yourself and still get credit. Doesn't Alex usually say Nope then move on to someone else?

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Poor Alex. I'm really glad Middle Guy didn't win.

I got the curtain call missed DD but no TS. FJ was an instaget.

I didn't know you could guess wrong but correct yourself and still get credit. Doesn't Alex usually say Nope then move on to someone else?

I don't think you're supposed to get credit if Alex has already said no, which he did and then still accepted the correction. Seems to me that's happened before, they're a little sloppy sometimes.

I thought Middle Guy said "Ben-Gurn" instead of "Ben-Gurion", but my ears aren't that great.

Othewise, I enjoyed it - the boards were fairly good for me, and I got FJ, so that always leaves me in a good mood.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I thought Middle Guy said "Ben-Gurn" instead of "Ben-Gurion", but my ears aren't that great.

Better than what I said: Ben-Yurion. But then, he was before my time.

I got neck, September, balloon dog, and the DDs of curtain calls and fig leaf. FJ was easy.

I'm sorry that Alex didn't get to $100,000. Phooey. But I like Alan ok, except for his barely-there mustache. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I walked in on a conversation about the coffee M&Ms at a dog show. People were split whether they were good or not, so I helped myself to one and proclaimed it delicious. They were the peanut variety. The M&M owner is from northeastern Indiana (South Bend! Ronald Regan premiere country!) so maybe they are regional. Or maybe they were gifted to this guy by someone from another part of the country. I should have asked!

It looks like they came out two years ago, one of three new types they tested, and coffee won.  Like just about everything else, you can get them on Amazon.  I also saw Walmart has them online (not sure about the stores) and the Walgreens web site says the store down the street from me (Charlotte, NC) has them in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Peanut-Chocolate-WINNING-Flavor/dp/B01LZHF8OK?th=1

• Love 1

When I hear Lerner & Loewe, I think of MFL and Gigi.

Me, too. And Camelot, though that's not my favorite L&L. And although I adore Gene Kelly (it gives 'kiss my butt' a whole new meaning), the stage version of Brigadoon is soooo much better than the movie version.

So (heh!), I got Brigadoon and Tale of 2 Cities and Mr. Author owes me dinner. Hmmm...I think Thai.

• Love 5
On 10/11/2018 at 2:29 PM, MrAtoz said:

So I got Hercules pretty quickly--only I said "Heracles," 'cause I'm pretentious like that! :-)

TheJeopardyFan.com listed both the regular and pretentious answers as being correct. So (ha) Good For You!

On 10/12/2018 at 1:10 AM, SHD said:

I skip the interviews, so other than saying Alex is a writer and comedian, have they mentioned that he writes for Cracked.com?

Not that I saw. I doubt the show wanted to promo a website, although I didn't see all of Alex's interview segments. He is one of my fav players ever so now I need to check out Cracked. Thanks for the tip.

• Love 2

No Jeopardy! on Thursday night due to the weather nannies, and no power on Friday night. (I'm in Virginia.)  I looked up FJ on thejeopardyfan.com for both nights, but I'd inadvertently seen the answer for Thursday.  I might have gotten it correct, but since I'd already seen it, that doesn't count.  I did get Friday's FJ before I saw the answer, so yay me!  Was also glad to see Alex the contestant is out; he was OK, but I was ready for a new face.  But then I haven't seen the champ play yet, so who knows?

• Love 1

New champ is okay; I liked all three contestants.  Sorry Alex didn't get his 5th win in but he may still end up in ToC with his 4 wins and a high dollar win.

Not too many ts's for me, just seminar and balloon dog. Instaget FJ.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Not that I saw. I doubt the show wanted to promo a website, although I didn't see all of Alex's interview segments. He is one of my fav players ever so now I need to check out Cracked. Thanks for the tip.

Update on that...he's actually their podcast host.

• Love 1

I'm sad that Alex didn't get his 5th win/$100,000.00, but Alan seems ok. 

TS I got were neck & fig leaf (missed DD). I said bead dog for balloon dog, since NOLA kids make dogs like that out of Mardi Gras beads. Probably would not have been accepted if the sculptor has said it was based on a balloon dog.  I suffered a concussion weekend before last, so I considered that clue a shoutout to me.

FJ was a teen tournament level instaget. Toddler J! was the clue in the Education category which basically boiled down to 'name the prominent color in this picture. Oh, and it rhymes with <word I can't remember now that rhymes with red>' 

22 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I was hoping someone would have said that other famous Jim Croce song, Letter in a Bottle.

lol

@Moose135 Coffee m&m's are in stock at Walgreen's a mere 2.16 miles from me. Dammit!  

• Love 7