Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I got TS iceman and thermography. (I think thermal imaging would have been accepted, secnarf.)

I spent way too much time dwelling on "trough" not ending in F. Until I re-watched and saw the category was "ending in F sound." Oh well.

The champ got two GFYs for his blood donation. I agree. So that's three GFYs. *Drink x3*

Interview dumb question/answer of the day: Trebek: "Why do you go to Drum Corp?"  Contestant: "Because we like it." Alrighty then.

I was struttin' the room like a proud peacock, answering such an easy FJ with such an obvious answer: MARS

Go ahead everyone, laugh and point. I can take it.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, SHD said:

I feel like Prairie is a future Kate McKinnon character.

I liked her, but felt darn when she didn’t get the DD correct. She did make a good comeback and gave Alan a run for his money. 

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Nah. I like you too much to snark on that. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Tense and grammar.
  • Love 2

I did okay today. Got the DD of The Odyssey. Thank you, Overdue podcast! (They’re covering these specific translations of Homer over several eps.) also got the Iceman and PSH, as well as FJ (Tombaugh was the key name there).

(BTW, I looooove Orkney!! Recognized the Old Man of Hoy immediately. Highly recommend visiting it if you can, especially in July or August to see the archaeologists at work on the Ness of Brodgar.)

• Love 2
7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I think I watched every ep of The Brady Bunch, but I don't remember the details of any of them. Still, I knew Mike was an architect.

I, on the other hand, can identify most episodes within the first few seconds.  That's a life skill, right?

35 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I wonder if 'thermal imaging' would have been accepted for 'thermography'.

I say yes, mostly because that was my guess.

My only get tonight was Iceman.

I was bummed that I didn't get FJ.  I love Pluto (apparently not enough to know any facts about it) and it is still a planet. <shakes fist> 

• Love 10
37 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I got Pluto (which is still a planet to me) when the underworld was mentioned in the clue. 

Me too. I also was sorry no one remembered Philip Seymour Hoffman. I was really rooting for Prairie to get the Odyssey DD. Alan was lucky she lost that 6K, because he totally blew what looked like another runaway lead. Poor Hila seemed so sad the whole time, especially when she fell behind.

• Love 4

Pluto was an instaget for me, partly because of the underworld part of the clue, and partly because soemwhere in the deep recesses of my brain, I remembered the name of the heart-shaped feature.  

@Sharpie66, I completely agree about the Orkneys!  I also recognized The Old Man of Hoy immediately, and was a little disappointed that we didn’t have to come up with that name.  I’ve only been once, but I am itching to go back.

TS I got included The Odyssey, and Phillip Seymour Hoffman.  It made me terribly sad that he was a TS, too.  I also said thermal imaging, so put me on the bandwagon of those who believe it would have been accepted.

Hila reminded me of Mare Winningham.

• Love 2

(I am hoping to get back to Scotland for my second trip there in 2020 (my niece is currently working on her PhD at the University of Edinburgh). I just had to visit Orkney on my first trip in 2012 after seeing Simon Schama’s The History of Britain, which opens in Orkney, with Schama visiting Skara Brae (5000 year old village), Maeshowe (4500 year old tomb with 1000 year old Viking graffiti), and the Ring of Brodgar (second largest stone circle in the UK). Add the later sites from medieval and Renaissance eras as well as the WWII chapel built by Italian POWs, and the amazing work done by local artisans providing tons of great shopping, and Orkney is well worth several days.)

• Love 3

I pre-called Too Tall Jones, Shaq, and The Fridge just from the category.

I almost ran the first round; I only missed one list clue, but I don’t remember what it was, and Emily the Strange.  I missed a few more than that in the DJ round but still did quite well, and got FJ, so it was a great game for me; I think a lot of tonight’s clues were easy to reason your way to without having that specific fact in your brain.

The Bronte clue, in an Emilys category, was another one for the embryo tournament.  The Odyssey DD belonged in the teen tournament, and she missed it!

I was surprised no one knew the Iceman, especially after the incorrect guess.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I was struttin' the room like a proud peacock, answering such an easy FJ with such an obvious answer: MARS

I'll try to make you feel better -- I said The Norseman. For some reason, I thought they were going for a constellation. A planet never entered my mind. I'm sure there's not a constellation called The Norseman, but since the clue mentioned Odin, that was my wild stab. What was the mention of the underworld?

I got no TSs tonight. Nada. Zilch. Bad for me.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

I got Pluto (which is still a planet to me) when the underworld was mentioned in the clue. 

Me too, though I couldn't quite explain to the husband why. "Pluto and the underworld is a thing," I might have said articulately. ?

• Love 4

I ran the big sports stars and final film role categories and had Philip Seymour Hoffman and the Iceman.

I got FJ because I knew Clyde Tombaugh had discovered Pluto, and "Tombaugh" was in the clue.  The rest of the words in the clue were like the points on Whose Line Is It Anyway? to me.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, lb60 said:

I was bummed that I didn't get FJ.  I love Pluto (apparently not enough to know any facts about it) and it is still a planet. <shakes fist> 

I'm with you in Pluto solidarity! Unfortunately, although I was thinking Pluto I said Jupiter. I blame the Pluto deniers for the distraction.

The only TS I got was Philip Seymour Hoffman. He was such a great talent, I feel badly none of them got that.

• Love 3

I remembered Pluto was the Roman God of the underworld because as a kid learning Greek/Roman mythology in sixth or seventh grade I asked why Mickey Mouse would have named his dog after something so creepy. My family and I had been to Disney World the summer before. 

It's still a planet to me too. :) 

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

as well as FJ (Tombaugh was the key name there).

For me, it was the reference to the underworld, albeit the Norse underworld.

Someone needs to write this down: I ran a sports category which included people who are neither soccer players nor did they play for the Baltimore Orioles in the 70s & 80s.

12 hours ago, lb60 said:
20 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I think I watched every ep of The Brady Bunch, but I don't remember the details of any of them. Still, I knew Mike was an architect.

I, on the other hand, can identify most episodes within the first few seconds.  That's a life skill, right?

Absolutely.  For some reason, I've thought of the episode where Imogene Coca played Aunt Jenny several times in the last couple of months.

• Love 6

The best life skill of all.  

I actually have an Emily the Strange mousepad at my desk at work! 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I'll try to make you feel better -- I said The Norseman. For some reason, I thought they were going for a constellation. A planet never entered my mind. I'm sure there's not a constellation called The Norseman, but since the clue mentioned Odin, that was my wild stab. What was the mention of the underworld?

Here is the clue:

"Features on this body include Tombaugh Regio & Sleipnir Fossa, named for a horse that carried Odin to the underworld"

• Love 1
11 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I'll try to make you feel better -- I said The Norseman. For some reason, I thought they were going for a constellation.

Hila also guessed a constellation - Pegasus, so you are not alone.

I am annoyed with myself for not getting FJ based on the underworld part of the clue.  So obvious in hindsight.  I said the moon, just for something to say.  No ts's for me last night.

For those, including me,  who were disappointed Alex didn't get his fifth win and automatic ticket to ToC, per Jeopardy.com's TOC tracker he is currently no. 9 on the list. So he may still make it, depending on how soon they do another ToC.

https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zone/toc-tracker

• Love 3
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Here is the clue:

"Features on this body include Tombaugh Regio & Sleipnir Fossa, named for a horse that carried Odin to the underworld"

Thanks. I completely overlooked the 'underworld' part of the clue. Obviously.

Surprised me no one knew about Mike Brady as an architect. 

Not just the original TV shows, but if you've seen the decent, really parody, movies in the 90s, it was a prominent part of one of them.  Everything he designs looks like his house. 

Didn't get FJ.  I said the moon. 

However I got A Tale of Two Cities in FJ just from the category before the question came up. 

2 hours ago, Trey said:

Hila also guessed a constellation - Pegasus, so you are not alone.

I am annoyed with myself for not getting FJ based on the underworld part of the clue.  So obvious in hindsight.  I said the moon, just for something to say.  No ts's for me last night.

For those, including me,  who were disappointed Alex didn't get his fifth win and automatic ticket to ToC, per Jeopardy.com's TOC tracker he is currently no. 9 on the list. So he may still make it, depending on how soon they do another ToC.

I hope Alex makes it.  He was very good and I liked him. 

• Love 3
Just now, PaulaO said:

No clue as to the Pluto FJ!  Is there something in the clue that would lead one to Pluto?  I'm sorry, but nobody should be named Prairie Rose.

And Pluto is still a planet.

If you're like me, and the name of the discoverer of Pluto meant nothing, the reference to the underworld might've done it, since Pluto was the Roman god of the underworld.

5 hours ago, Trey said:

I'm keeping my eye on that list as well, for reasons which modesty forbids me from specifying. :-)  That's one reason I was disappointed to hear about the "All-Stars" thing--I bet that it's going to take the place of the regular ToC this year.  So there's still a lot of time for more five-game-winners to move in and push the lower-ranked folks off the bottom.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, SHD said:

I'm glad they moved off the Band Books category. Their dead-eyed stares and random guesses were making me stabby.

For real!  All those TS made my head hurt. And I'm including Midnight Oil in that too.

• Love 6

After the first-round tie, I'm not sure even Alex knew who'd pick first in DJ. Lol. 

I had babushka, 1914, Scotland DD, April, As You Like It, Motley Crüe, Led Zep, Aerosmith, Australia, and Java. I would have liked to see the last Band Books clue since I was right on the four clues we did see. 

FJ was an instaget for me. 

• Love 8

Question of the day:  Would they have accepted Leningrad for FJ?  Will we accept Leningrad for our contest?  That was my answer, and technically it is the same city, it just isn't called that anymore. 

Despite the dead-eyed stares, I was sad they didn't finish the Band Books category!  I was running that one -- got Led Zeppelin, and Aerosmith, and should have gotten Motley Crue, but blanked on that one.  I also got babushka, Scotland, April, and Java.

• Love 7

I missed most of the first round. My 16 year old nearly blind doggie started a disastrous chain of events that ended in the satellite dish being  unplugged.   I tuned in just in time to watch them butcher the Band Books category. 

• Love 1

A lousy night for me in terms of TS's, although I did the get the fairly easy FJ. I briefly considered Helsinki, but the name changes meant it really had to be St. Petersburgh. I got last night's FJ of Pluto, also, so it's been a reasonably good week for me so far.

• Love 1

I actually had a good day, although I can’t believe I didn’t recognize Glenda Jackson. I did get a cappella, 1914, the DD of Scotland, April, Berlusconi, Australia (big Midnight Oil fan), Java, the Dutch, and FJ-St. Petersburg. 

• Love 4

I like the new Champ, he is a calm guy with no annoying tics or jumping around the board.  Would they have accepted "Buba" for "Babushka"?  My husband called his Grandmother "Buba" :) And I was thinking of all kinds of Russian cities & settled on Vladivostok!  

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Despite the dead-eyed stares, I was sad they didn't finish the Band Books category!  I was running that one -- got Led Zeppelin, and Aerosmith, and should have gotten Motley Crue, but blanked on that one.  I also got babushka, Scotland, April, and Java.

I wanted them to finish the Band category too as I had them as well, but I get why they left. Got those others along with the Dutch, Australia, Berlusconi, and 1914. 

19 minutes ago, Kathira said:

I briefly considered Helsinki, but the name changes meant it really had to be St. Petersburgh.

Finland, as a whole, barely has more than 5 million people let alone just Helsinki. Petrograd -> Leningrad -> St. Petersburg. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I'm keeping my eye on that list as well, for reasons which modesty forbids me from specifying.

There's some Scott dude there that I check on once in a while, this poster having a vested interest in him.

39 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Question of the day:  Would they have accepted Leningrad for FJ?  Will we accept Leningrad for our contest?  That was my answer, and technically it is the same city, it just isn't called that anymore. 

I like to think so because that was my answer too. I knew it wasn't the current name but was one of the many. If everyone votes okay, we can accept it in our contest. It's up to you guys.

5 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

I wanted them to finish the Band category too as I had them as well, but I get why they left.

Allison left the Band category because, after missing the first few, Trebek said something like "Are you sure you want to continue there" or "Don't  you want to change categories" or something similar. Blame Trebek. Because when Allison DID come back, she won $1,600 with The Eagles. Maybe she could have won $2,000 more if the game hadn't ended.

When the John Brown's Body clue referenced "what lies moldering in the ground," I thought the answer could have been "Alan" since Trebek is obsessed with dwelling on how ANCIENT Alan is. All the other champs have been young sprouts, according to Trebek, then Old Antique Alan comes along and WTHeck, the decrepit old man actually WON a game or two.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

I like to think so because that was my answer too. I knew it wasn't the current name but was one of the many. If everyone votes okay, we can accept it in our contest. It's up to you guys.

Of course, I vote yes!  :)  Also, apparently my knowledge of geography ends with the fall of the Soviet Union.

• Love 2

Ugh, I hate when they leave just one clue in a category I was running!

Other TS I got were Berlusconi, Australia (Midnight Oil!), and Java. I couldn't remember Glenda Jackson's last name to save my life so unfortunately can't claim that one.

FJ was an instaget

• Love 6
55 minutes ago, lb60 said:

I'm tired of Alan.

I don't have a real problem with Alan but I hope he loses tomorrow to make up for bumping Alex (one of my favorite champs ever) before he could get a guaranteed spot in the TOC.  I'm vindictive that way, lol.  

• Love 4

Ignore the quote below. It's a remnant from a previous post and I can't seem to delete it

I ran the foreign phrase category. Acappella was a complete guess. 

I'm okay with giving credit for the many names of St. Petersburg. At least they were all legitimate names for the same place. Jeopardy has accepted less accurate answers.

On 10/16/2018 at 6:25 PM, M. Darcy said:

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3

Okay, because we’re all anonymous here, I will admit that I’d managed to go my entire life until tonight without knowing what a capella means.  Now, I knew it means singing without instrumental accompaniment, but I didn’t know it means “in the manner of the chapel” in Italian.  So I was stumped by that one just like the contestants.  I did know babushka in that category, though.

I hate war history categories, and the WWI category wasn’t any exception to my bad record, although I could guess barbed wire and Scotland easily.  I was surprised that DD was missed; it seemed obvious it was about people who wear some sort of skirt, and skirts + UK = Scotland (kilt).

I don’t think any of the TS surprised me tonight, though.  I knew most of them (including all the Band Books ones), but I can’t say I’m sitting here shocked by any of them going unanswered.  Including Glenda Jackson, even with a picture, or Java, even with a map.

FJ wasn’t an instaget, but I didn’t find it "tough" as Alex described it; multiple name changes plus northernmost got me there fairly easily.  And, sorry to those who hopped in the wayback machine, but I think the verbiage calls for the current name (“The northernmost city with a population over 5 million, it was founded in 1703 and its name was changed 3 times in the 20th century”).  I also think if they'd been prepared to accept any of the previous names, Alex would have rattled them off: "Yes, St. Petersberg.  Or, Petrograd or Leningrad."

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I think it would have been accepted, and therefore I accept it here! Make it so.

Some of you got a lot of TSs. I only got babushka, April, and Glenda Jackson. I couldn't get all of Elizabeth Gilbert's name, only Elizabeth....? Wilson? Nah.

BTW, is Sutter's Mill the same as Sutter's Fort?

I got FJ. I thought that was easy.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

BTW, is Sutter's Mill the same as Sutter's Fort?

No, they were owned by the same Sutter and both along the American River, but they're about 50 miles apart.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SHD said:

I'm glad they moved off the Band Books category. Their dead-eyed stares and random guesses were making me stabby.

I felt the same way, but I was also mad that we didn't get to see all the clues, because I was great at that category. I contain multitudes.

10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I hate war history categories, and the WWI category wasn’t any exception to my bad record, although I could guess barbed wire and Scotland easily.  I was surprised that DD was missed; it seemed obvious it was about people who wear some sort of skirt, and skirts + UK = Scotland (kilt).

I was surprised by how well I did in that category. Except Scotland, which seemed ridiculously easy, and I don't know how anyone could miss it. She must have been cringing watching that tonight.

I felt very smart tonight, I knew practically everything! That is not usual for me, so it's something to celebrate. Go me!

• Love 9

I had Scotland and all of the Band-based clues (Motley Crue, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, and the Midnight Oil-themed Australia).  I knew the Eagles, too, so I was most disappointed in not getting to the final clue.  Any way we can find out what it was?

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

I had Scotland and all of the Band-based clues (Motley Crue, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, and the Midnight Oil-themed Australia).  I knew the Eagles, too, so I was most disappointed in not getting to the final clue.  Any way we can find out what it was?

Unless something has changed in recent times, they put uncovered clues back in the hopper for potential future use (whether that be in a category that's basically the same, one with a different focus but where the clue still fits, or, often, a potpourri category).  But, apparently (according to an interview with one of the writers or producers), between uncovered clues and the extra clues they create for each category that don't wind up on the board, they have a lot of never-used clues.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Okay, because we’re all anonymous here, I will admit that I’d managed to go my entire life until tonight without knowing what a capella means.  Now, I knew it means singing without instrumental accompaniment, but I didn’t know it means “in the manner of the chapel” in Italian.  So I was stumped by that one just like the contestants. 

One of my favorite podcasts is the History of English, and the host spent some time explaining how words that originated in the same root word in French begin in either the “k” sound or the “ch” sound depending on when the English borrowed it. He used chapel and a cappella as an example of the root word producing different sounds in different languages, which is how I knew it today.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 7