Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

BTW, is Sutter's Mill the same as Sutter's Fort?

I said Sutter’s Folly which I’m sure would have been ruled incorrect. Otherwise it was a fairly good night, especially considering I’d been to a neighbors for dinner and there was a lot of wine involved. I did get a shot of espresso in me just before viewing to clear my head. I got a capella, the DD of Scotland , April, the DD of Hasty Pudding, Aerosmith, Glenda Jackson, Dutch and Elizabeth Gilbert. I did get the FJ of St Petersburg. That’s better than I thought would do under the circumstances. 

• Love 3

I actually had a good day, although I can’t believe I didn’t recognize Glenda Jackson.

Like YoureSoUrban, all I could come up with was "Glenda...?"  I recognized her, but will be damned for not recalling her last name.
I have a friend who's obsessed with WWI; she probably would have done well in that category. I don't like any war categories, but I do think Scotland was a very easy clue/question.

• Love 4

Years ago I saw 'Joyeux Noel,' which is about the Christmas truce during WWI where they played soccer, but darned if I could remember what year it was. I mean, what year the event took place, not what year I saw the movie.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Like YoureSoUrban, all I could come up with was "Glenda...?"  I recognized her, but will be damned for not recalling her last name.

I was "I know that face," and my mind was a complete blank.

12 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Years ago I saw 'Joyeux Noel,' which is about the Christmas truce during WWI where they played soccer, but darned if I could remember what year it was. I mean, what year the event took place, not what year I saw the movie.

I knew about the truce, but had the same problem. I said 1915, one year too late.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

Now, I knew it means singing without instrumental accompaniment, but I didn’t know it means “in the manner of the chapel” in Italian. 

Ditto.  I suppose people singing in the chapel don't usually have instrumental accompaniment but it never occurred to me that's what a capella meant.

I did not do well in the band category. 

Only one ts, Australia, and the missed dd of Scotland.  But I did get FJ pretty quickly, though not an instaget.

• Love 1

The wording of Final Jeopardy yesterday...

>>>The northernmost city with a pop. over 5 mil., it was founded in 1703 & its name was changed 3 times in the 20th century<<<

It seems like they wanted the current name, but it also looks like if a contestant had used one of the other names and then argued a "no" ruling later, they might have a case.

• Love 3
On 10/17/2018 at 9:10 AM, proserpina65 said:

nor did they play for the Baltimore Orioles in the 70s & 80s.

Shout out to another long-suffering Orioles fan!  My mom grew up in Baltimore and my dad always followed the team.  We lived there for 15 years (until last summer) and started following the team closely a few years ago.  It's tough being an Orioles fan!  Now we are watching the play offs just to see former Orioles--Machado, Schoop, Miley, Pearce.  Hoping for better times ahead!  Let's go Os! (leaving out the apostrophe because the grammatical inaccuracy of it makes me crazy!)

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Julia67 said:

Shout out to another long-suffering Orioles fan!  My mom grew up in Baltimore and my dad always followed the team.  We lived there for 15 years (until last summer) and started following the team closely a few years ago.  It's tough being an Orioles fan!  Now we are watching the play offs just to see former Orioles--Machado, Schoop, Miley, Pearce.  Hoping for better times ahead!  Let's go Os! (leaving out the apostrophe because the grammatical inaccuracy of it makes me crazy!)

My mother claims that I sat on her lap and watched the Os on the day she brought me home from hospital as a baby.  (Like my eyes could even focus that far, lol.)  I'm a child of the late 70s/early 80s heyday - watched every moment of the I-95 World Series in 83 - and drifted away during the Peter Angelos years, but it is disheartening to see them do so badly this year.  Here's hoping for better days next season.

On topic: I didn't mind Alan at first, but I won't miss him when he finally leaves either.

I did pretty well last night, got almost all of the stumpers including Motley Crue, Australia and Glenda Jackson, and I knew St. Petersburg simply because I'd looked its various names up during the World Cup in Russia.  I did say Sumatra instead of Java, though, and also said The Eagles for Joe Perry even though I knew that didn't sound right.  I wish we'd gotten the last clue in the Band Books category.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, teebax said:

After the first-round tie, I'm not sure even Alex knew who'd pick first in DJ. Lol. 

I had babushka, 1914, Scotland DD, April, As You Like It, Motley Crüe, Led Zep, Aerosmith, Australia, and Java. I would have liked to see the last Band Books clue since I was right on the four clues we did see. 

FJ was an instaget for me. 

I didn't have Aerosmith but got the rest.  I couldn't come up with the Argonne, though, which makes me quite angry with myself since I'm familiar with the Meuse-Argonne campaign; I'll blame it on the weather.

16 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I did get a cappella, 1914, the DD of Scotland, April, Berlusconi, Australia (big Midnight Oil fan), Java, the Dutch, and FJ-St. Petersburg. 

I got all those except Java.  I said Sumatra first.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

One of my favorite podcasts is the History of English, and the host spent some time explaining how words that originated in the same root word in French begin in either the “k” sound or the “ch” sound depending on when the English borrowed it. He used chapel and a cappella as an example of the root word producing different sounds in different languages, which is how I knew it today.

I listen to that podcast, too!  It's great.  However, I knew the derivation of a capella even before that. It's one of those weird little things I picked up somewhere, maybe from my History of Music classes in college.  As Trey suspected, it goes back to the Middle Ages, when church music would be vocal only, unaccompanied by any instruments--think of Gregorian chant and things like that.  Only later did organs start to become a regular feature in churches.

• Love 3

How do they run out of time in rounds? Is it slow answering or the clues where they have people on video reading them? It seems weird to me.

I knew Glenda Jackson right away, even though I haven't seen her in anything since probably the 70s or 80s.

10 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

How do they run out of time in rounds? Is it slow answering or the clues where they have people on video reading them?

The video clues often eat up time, as do TS and clues where one or two contestants ring in with a wrong answer before someone gets it right.  Add up any combination of those - or Alex's inane after-answer babble - and time can be up before all the clues are revealed.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

I feel like Prairie is a future Kate McKinnon character.

LOL. You can be sure Prairie will be a character in one of my books. I kind of, sort of love the name!

But then my grandson is named Nature Sohl :)

Anyone remember Prairie's last name? It wasn't Rose, was it?

• Love 2

Good game tonight!  I only got one TS -- flagellum.  I'd have to turn in my Microbiologist card if I missed that one! 

FJ took me a minute to figure out/remember who mends pots and kettles, but once I got the first part, the rest was easy and I was able to write it down just in the nick of time. 

• Love 3

I liked middle girl's (Allison? Jessica?) blouse with all the chemistry instruments on it. Pretty much the only TS I got was the Battle of the Hot Gates (Thermopylae). Totally blanked on FJ.

• Love 2

I call foul on the answer of "Pinochet" in the A.P. category. That needed a BMI since answers required a first AND last name to  create the A.P. I'm positive the player who answered wouldn't be able to come up with the first name.

Meanwhile, gigantic SHOUT OUT! to my pal Kilgore Trout. It was just a couple of days ago that I was singing (writing) his praises here.

1 minute ago, Kathira said:

Pretty much the only TS I got was the Battle of the Hot Gates (Thermopylae).

I saw "300" four times in the theater, bought the DVD and have a bus poster (from Lisbon) of the movie. Yeah, I got that one too.

• Love 9

I flubbed and said Thermopolis, so would have gotten that one wrong. I did get Alexander Pope, X (know that one because the lead singer is Viggo Mortensen’s ex-wife), and FJ-Tinkerbell. 

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 2

No!

Noo!!

Nooo!!!

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!

Why do these people get my hopes up only to blow it in FJ?

Why?

Why?

Why?

I want Alan gone!

I don't care that I got FJ right, even though I thought it was too obvious and almost said Fairy Godmother, like that disappointment, Jessica.  lol  I actually liked her and wish she could have pulled off the win.  I would have even settled for Mark.  Just no more Alan.  

• Love 2

Looks like I've been saying "balm" incorrectly all my life.  It's really pronounced "bahm"?  (Words with a silent "l" category.)

Would "salve" have been accepted?  I've never heard anyone say the "l" in salve.

And when and where is the vertical tic-tac-toe game called "Drop 4" instead of "Connect 4"?

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

Looks like I've been saying "balm" incorrectly all my life.  It's really pronounced "bahm"?  (Words with a silent "l" category.)

Would "salve" have been accepted?  I've never heard anyone say the "l" in salve.

I thought the same think about "chalk."

I said "salve" too, but there was the ending part of the clue that said "You're the..." Only balm (said like "bomb") fit that part of the clue.

• Love 5

Jessica pronounced the L in balm and caulk, which cracked me up, as that’s how I pronounce them, too – the L is lightly there, but it’s not silent like the other words – and it seemed she was thinking, “Um, I know this is the word based on the clue, but it doesn’t fit the category, so I'll go ahead and ring in but I'm confused.”  I feel you, Jessica. 

So I felt bad for her wrong answer on what seemed like an easy FJ to me, since I knew it despite knowing almost nothing else about Peter Pan other than Tinkerbell.  The other contestant who got it wrong, meh; I don’t normally pay much attention to contestants’ appearance, but a bow tie AND suspenders, oh my -- two of my least-favorite accessories on one person and I'll go ahead and be shallow.

The “Ap” Biology/”A.P.” Biology pronunciation discrepancy was driving me nuts.

WTF with accepting Drop Four for Connect Four?  I even did a Google search during the commercial break to see if there’s some regional alternate name, but nothing came up.  I wonder what they found in order to reverse their ruling.

And an even bigger WTF to accepting just a last name in a category about first and last names with the initials A.P.?

N for knight (“they don’t know how to spell” – hee) and Battle of Thermopylae were the only TS that also stumped me, but it was another night where I wasn’t surprised to see any of them go unanswered.

The DJ round had several clues I found quite overvalued, such as KGB, Benedict Arnold, and C for speed of light.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, SHD said:

I thought the same think about "chalk."

We say "chawk" here in the Midwest.

There was another "Silent L" answer where the woman very distinctly pronounced the "L" in her answer. I just didn't write it down.

I pronounce the "L" in balm. So sue me. But I can make it sound like "bomb" if you want me to. I agree they needed to write the clue for "salve," a less controversial answer.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I pronounce the "L" in balm. So sue me. But I can make it sound like "bomb" if you want me to. I agree they needed to write the clue for "salve," a less controversial answer.

When I was a kid in church, we used to giggle over the hymn about the "bomb in Gilead." Because of that, I tend to make a conscious effort to say Bal-m.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I call foul on the answer of "Pinochet" in the A.P. category. That needed a BMI since answers required a first AND last name to  create the A.P. I'm positive the player who answered wouldn't be able to come up with the first name.

Completely agree. If the category is A.P., you need to give the A, not just the P.

I did terrible tonight. I got no TSs. I didn't get FJ either, though of course I slapped my forehead after the answer was revealed.

I never thought of chalk as limestone. And I was mad that I didn't remember N stood for Knight. I used to write the newspaper chess games out for my father when he couldn't see very well. (I thought it was dumb when Alex said "They couldn't spell," because since K stood for King, a substitute had to be found for Knight.)

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

“You put the balm on? Who told you to put the balm on? I didn't tell you to put the balm on. Why'd you put the balm on? You haven't even been to see the doctor. If you’re gonna put a balm on, let a doctor put a balm on.”

— Jackie Chiles (Phil Morris), Seinfeld, Season 7: The Maestro

• Love 15
1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

And when and where is the vertical tic-tac-toe game called "Drop 4" instead of "Connect 4"?

I know, right.

26 minutes ago, Bastet said:

N for knight (“they don’t know how to spell” – hee) and Battle of Thermopylae were the only TS that also stumped me, but it was another night where I wasn’t surprised to see any of the others go unanswered.

I don't play chess, so I didn't get the notation. But after the answer I went "right, because they already have a K with King."  So I felt very pleased with myself. Impressed the Mr., who does play chess, who was puzzling about the "N."

I didn't read Peter Pan (and didn't really watch the movie), but I knew what a tinker was, so I managed. :) 4 for 4 so far this week - FJ's been good to me.

• Love 4

Too bad for Jessica, although I don't mind Alan.  I really liked her chemistry dress.  I missed the introductions and was sure she was a chemistry teacher.  I had to go to the Jeopardy website to look her up.  Not a chemistry teacher.  Sigh. 

I have to ask:  Am I the only one who thought she was pregnant?  If she was, and had won, I wonder if Alex would have eventually mentioned it.

1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

That was some b.s. IMO. Thank goodness he didn't win as a result.

Bad game for me - no TS and no clue on FJ. I was rooting for Jessica to win.

• Love 2

FJ came to me easily tonight... thanks to my dear ol' Dad who used to say, "IF ifs and ands were pots and pans, there'd be no need for tinkers!"

As for the caulk answer, I burst into giggles. My eldest daughter once strode into the home repair store (dressed in a tank top and short shorts - it was a hot summer day and she was repairing her bathtub) and quite loudly responded to the guy who asked her what she was looking for, "I need some caulk." Perhaps you had to be there. She's now a university professor and still relates that story as her most embarrassing moment in life. I could top it easily (starting with stories of her as a child).

• Love 11

Some of the old-timers around here pronounce “caulk” as “cork” — it can be super confusing.  Somenone else had to translate for me the first time I heard it, and I grew up not too far away!  But I’d never heard that.

On 10/18/2018 at 10:30 PM, saber5055 said:

We say "chawk" here in the Midwest.

There was another "Silent L" answer where the woman very distinctly pronounced the "L" in her answer. I just didn't write it down.

Hopefully I won't introduce any controversy--but I've always pronounced "salve" with the L, although I know many people who don't.  But it never sounds natural to me.  (I also pronounce Chalk with a little bit of L, balm with a little L, and I didn't immediately figure out the category because of it.)

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 3

Drop four?  No, just wrong. 

But the game always make me think of the old Connect Four commercial..........."Pretty sneaky sis". 

Got FJ correct.  But was hoping we might get to move on from Alan.  At least one more day.  And I guess he will be in the ToC now, 5 days. 

• Love 2

I always think those "Silent letter" or "Rhyming" categories are potentially problematic.  Regional pronunciations can vary so much that for some people, the rhymes don't rhyme or the letters aren't silent.

For example, my wife pronounces the L in "salmon."  I don't.

I was a little bit surprised that only one contestant got Tinkerbell.  I thought it was pretty easy, but then I guess "tinker" isn't really a profession you hear about very much these days, so maybe it wasn't as obvious as I thought.

I agree that just "Pinochet" shouldn't have been accepted.  It should have at least gotten a BMS.  Which made me think, "What was his first name?!"  I sort of remembered it being August.  Looking it up, I see it was Augusto.  I wonder, had I been on the game and said "August," if they would have counted that?

• Love 6

I got Tinkerbell just because she was the only character I could think of with wings.  

At book group last night, one of the main topics of conversation was amazement that none of the contestants knew what Mike Brady's job was. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Bliss said:

FJ came to me easily tonight... thanks to my dear ol' Dad who used to say, "IF ifs and ands were pots and pans, there'd be no need for tinkers!"

I wish my dad had said that, then I might have gotten FJ.

I seem to remember a bit from the old cartoon Mr Peabody and Sherman (maybe) where a tinker is walking down the street saying, "I tink. I tink." Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I'm also trying to remember a fairly recent TV show where there was a play on words betw caulk and cock. Man, I can't remember it or much of anything else to give y'all a clue.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

I always think those "Silent letter" or "Rhyming" categories are potentially problematic.  Regional pronunciations can vary so much that for some people, the rhymes don't rhyme or the letters aren't silent.

As proven here, in this small community.

1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

Then there's Alex Salmon, former first minister of Scotland.

1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

I was a little bit surprised that only one contestant got Tinkerbell.  I thought it was pretty easy, but then I guess "tinker" isn't really a profession you hear about very much these days, so maybe it wasn't as obvious as I thought.

I was surprised too since I got it, which means it should have been Toddler Level. But me saying that puts me in the category of posters here who say they are shocked when everyone doesn't know what they know. A case of IEIYKI.

There's the LeCarre book, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, and the old saying, "I don't give a tinker's damn." And some people like to "tinker" with things. Does anyone still say that?

19 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I seem to remember a bit from the old cartoon Mr Peabody and Sherman (maybe) where a tinker is walking down the street saying, "I tink. I tink." Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Mr. Peabody and Sherman and their Wayback Machine are lodged in my memory bank, but I don't remember the tinker episode. But maybe that's why I knew the answer. Although I never once associated Tinkerbell with the profession. It was just her name.

23 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I'm also trying to remember a fairly recent TV show where there was a play on words betw caulk and cock.

That has to be a recent tv show. They would never say that second word on "Leave It To Beaver."

• Love 3

I found the show by searching my name here and content I've posted -- It's New Girl, episode "Quick Hardening Caulk."

Also, I believe that after the cartoon character said, "I tink. I tink," he stopped, looked at the camera, and said, "I'm a tinker."

• Love 2

"If I Were a Carpenter" by Tim Hardin...

If I were a carpenter, and you were a lady
Would you marry me anyway?
Would you have my baby?
If a tinker were my trade, would you still find me
Carrying the pots I made, following behind me?

That's how I knew the answer.

As for Joe Perry = Eagles, y'all are probably thinking of Joe Walsh.

I thought, for SURE, salmon & almond would be in that silent L category. And you can count me in the outraged camp at no first name for Pinochet. I told the cats, "ow-GOOST Pinochet," forgetting the vowel at the end, and then she just said, "Pinochet" and pissed me off.  I can also be counted as one who never heard of Drop Four.

But I did notice two of the contestants were from Georgia.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

That's funny. That was the one word I pre-called for the category thinking absolutely no one pronounces that "l". Shows what I know. For what it's worth, I think there's an "l" presence in "chalk," "caulk," and "balm," but not "salve."

I agree with the ranks of Pinochet protesters.  She should've had to say Augusto.

FJ was instant for me.  I was so let down when Middle Lady whiffed it and didn't take the 5-Day win away from Alan.  I'm beginning to find him a little gruesome; I keep catching him from the wrong angle and thinking he has a ponytail.

• Love 1