Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

13 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

@Moose135 Coffee m&m's are in stock at Walgreen's a mere 2.16 miles from me. Dammit!  

When my co-worker told me about coffee m&m's a while back, I decided I needed to stay far away from them.  Fortunately, I have a weird dislike of Walgreens. :)

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

When my co-worker told me about coffee m&m's a while back, I decided I needed to stay far away from them.  Fortunately, I have a weird dislike of Walgreens. :)

I broke down & bought a bag today. Delicious!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:
17 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I broke down & bought a bag today. Delicious!

Step back Satan! LOL

So cool, I really started something. Unfortunately (or not), I live an hour's drive from the nearest coffee M&M seller. Patience is the key to living in the middle of the Midwestern tundra.

1 minute ago, peeayebee said:

I'm afraid to go buy Halloween candy now because I'll probably buy a bag of coffee M&Ms for me.

Don't be afraid. Live wild, live free!

• Love 3
On 10/13/2018 at 1:18 AM, Moose135 said:

It looks like they came out two years ago, one of three new types they tested, and coffee won.  Like just about everything else, you can get them on Amazon.  I also saw Walmart has them online (not sure about the stores) and the Walgreens web site says the store down the street from me (Charlotte, NC) has them in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Peanut-Chocolate-WINNING-Flavor/dp/B01LZHF8OK?th=1

Okay, I didn't trace back to where they were first mentioned, but is there some kind of undercover viral M&M marketing going on here?  I saw some at my grocery store and of course I had to try them.  They had peanuts in the middle.  They were okay.  I don't think I'm in danger of getting addicted.  But to quote Judge John Hodgman, I don't have a sweet tooth, I have an alcohol molar.   Is there another coffee variety without the peanuts?  Or better yet, is there a variety with a coffee bean in the middle?  And I'm aware this is way into off-topic territory, sorry.

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Is there another coffee variety without the peanuts? 

Apparently not: From Wikipedia: Also in 2016, the M&M's flavor vote was created in which the fans could vote for either honey, coffee, or chili nut M&M's to go with peanut M&M's. Coffee Nuts was announced as the winner by VEEP's Tony Hale.

• Love 1

Yeah, that was an instaget for sure. I don't  think there were too many TS's but I did know that Mike Brady was an architect and Attack of the Clones. I like Alan, although after complaining about champs with too much personality, now I feel bad since I'm going to have to complain that he's dull. There's just no pleasing me, I guess.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 1

Well, that was a painfully easy FJ.  Total instaget for me.

I ran the Star Wars category, despite the clues about the prequels-that-shall-not-be-named.  Not surprising that no one knew Attack Of The Clones, though.  And I was glad the woman busted the "only boys like Star Wars" stereotype.

It was surprising that no one could even guess dust -- have they not heard "ashes to ashes and dust to dust"?  That's why I guessed dust.  It was sad that no one knew Mike Brady was an architect, too.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Kathira said:

I did know that Mike Brady was an architect and Attack of the Clones.

I'd like to forget about Attack of the Clones too, but I did get it along with Mike Brady being an architect as well as dust. FJ was straight from the Kids Tournament. I don't really have an issue with Alan, but I did want to see Alex get another win to make it to the ToC. 

• Love 2

FJ could have been a $200 clue as far as I'm concerned. Meanwhile I had no clue on any of the Star Wars clues because I stopped watching that series after Return of the Jedi. Mike Brady was my only TS.

Alan's pretty strong so I think he'll be with us for a while.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, opus said:

Coffee M&M's (and anything coffee flavored, actually) , yuck.

Someone had to say it....

Cosign.  The smell of coffee makes me sick.  Perfectly good M&M's do not need to be ruined like that. Perfectly good anything does not need to be ruined with coffee.  

31 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

No one knew Mike Brady’s job??!! That’s just so wrong. 

That made me sad.  Who can forget the classic episode where Greg screws up his first day on the job working for Mike's firm? Or the classic episode where the family has to run blueprints through King's Island amusement park after they get mixed up with a poster one of the kids bought. Or Beebe Gallini. I loved me some Peter (pork chops and applesauce) Brady.  

FJ=easy peasy lemon squeezy.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Apparently I qualify for the super senior tennis tournament in Atlanta.

Is it wrong that I was miffed that young uns are appropriating "senior", and bumping me into "super senior"when I just barely qualify for the original designation? 

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Well, that was a painfully easy FJ.  Total instaget for me.

I ran the Star Wars category, despite the clues about the prequels-that-shall-not-be-named.  Not surprising that no one knew Attack Of The Clones, though.  And I was glad the woman busted the "only boys like Star Wars" stereotype.

I was shocked I didn't run the category. I guess I now see it as one long story (ignoring the fever dreams of the prequels), and can't remember the titles. Of course, to me "A New Hope" is just "Star Wars." 

• Love 5

I've seen all the Star Wars movies, but I couldn't recall all the titles tonight where these things happened. I think the only one I got was The Phantom Menace.

For TSs I got 'to the top' (a complete guess for TTT) and architect. FJ was super easy.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Is there another coffee variety without the peanuts?  Or better yet, is there a variety with a coffee bean in the middle? 

My farm store sells chocolate-covered coffee beans. Check out Blain's Farm & Fleet if you are ever in Janesville, Wis.

3 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

No one knew Mike Brady’s job??!! That’s just so wrong. 

Sometimes it's right to be wrong. I've never seen one episode of The Brady Bunch and I never will.

2 hours ago, teebax said:

I was so happy to see "Barry" mentioned. It's such a great show.

I love Bill Hader.

2 hours ago, lb60 said:

The smell of coffee makes me sick.

The taste of coffee used to make me sick, then as I got older, I learned to like it. But only with lots of yummy flavored creamer and some sugar. And while I joke here about *drink,* that's something I don't do in real life. I'll keep my coffee while you coffee haters keep your ... whatever it is you drink.

Speaking of, Tosh got a GFY. *drink*

My TSs were dust and To The Top. The TS I had never heard of was WCW, Woman Crush Wednesday. Where the heck is THAT used?

Something is wrong in the universe when I can answer one much less all the Opera clues. I sat down and took a nap during Star Wars though. Couldn't answer a single one of those, and I'm proud of it.

I guess I'm not too young (TM Trebek) to know things that happened in the 1930s since I got FJ instantly.  Maybe when you guys get to my ancient age, you will have learned to appreciate a good cup of coffee.

3 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I did want to see Alex get another win to make it to the ToC. 

I second that emotion. I really, really liked Alex. One of my favorite players ever. Broke my heart to see him leave before Win Five.

• Love 7

LOL at tonight's FJ being suited to an embryo tournament.  I skipped Friday's and tonight's episodes to watch other things, saw the archive still wasn't updated, and decided to just screw it and read the thread.  No one spoiled FJ, just a lot of chatter about how ridiculously easy it was, so I looked it up on one of the sites that just lists the FJ clue, and - yeah. obscenely easy for FJ.

What I did get from chatter here is that no one knew Mike Brady was an architect, and that surprises me, since I never liked the show and could not describe a single episode in whole if my life depended on it, but I know bits and pieces just from cultural osmosis, and that he's an architect is one of those things. 

• Love 5

No J! today due to a rainstorm causing a power outage, so it did not record. Boo hiss. Dr. Toothbrush is going to be disappointed when I tell him he missed a Star Wars category. 

12 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I'm afraid to go buy Halloween candy now because I'll probably buy a bag of coffee M&Ms for me.

<enabler> Do it! </enabler> They are delicious, but not addicting. I bought a share bag (& actually shared it, which I do not normally do..lol), and still have 1/2 of the bag left. Most of the time M&M's are not safe in my clutches. 

• Love 3

I didn’t get any in the Star Wars category. I did know Mike Brady’s occupation and dust. I had a pretty good night. We have a local program where they simulcast Operas from the Met in NY and I saw 4 last year. During intermission everyone breaks out their picnic lunches and it’s turned into an enjoyable social event. We haven’t had any this year yet because of hurricane damage to the building where they show it, but I plan on going back as soon as they start up again.  

• Love 5

who can forget the classic episode where Greg screws up his first day on the job working for Mike's firm? Or the classic episode where the family has to run blueprints through King's Island amusement park after they get mixed up with a poster one of the kids bought.

And the movie where everything he designed looked just like the house. 

• Love 8

Count me among those who stopped watching the Star Wars films after Return of the Jedi (or as I call it, 'the third one'). I know all the titles of the prequels, but know nothing about the movies. I even got a couple of opera questions right last night, which shocked me, but went 0-for on Star Wars.

FJ was pretty easy, although the first thing that came to mind was Kitchen Cabinet!, which I knew was wrong. Once I got that out of my head, I got fireside chat. So, 1/1 on FJ this week!

I couldn't live without coffee. Got a grinder last year and it changed my life. Coffee M&M's sound a bit questionable to me, though, especially the peanut part. That's weird. 

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, ABay said:

The only Star Wars answer I got would've been judged wrong, probably, since I said Star Wars...you know, the orignal title of the first film.

You and me both.? I did get Phantom Menace mostly because I hated it. My kids have been raised right, they prefer the original trilogy. ?

As for coffee, I was an adult before I realized that some people don't drink it. Raised in the military with a southern father and European mother (the trifecta of coffee drinkers), it has always been my warm beverage of choice. Black and strong. Though I do indulge in the fancy coffees, I think of them as caffeinated milk shakes.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The TS I had never heard of was WCW, Woman Crush Wednesday. Where the heck is THAT used?

I've heard of TBT (Throw Back Thursday). I wonder if there's one for every day of the week, each one palindromic? 

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

What I did get from chatter here is that no one knew Mike Brady was an architect, and that surprises me, since I never liked the show and could not describe a single episode in whole if my life depended on it, but I know bits and pieces just from cultural osmosis, and that he's an architect is one of those things. 

Cultural osmosis is a good term for it. What is Darrin's (from Bewitched) occupation?

I think I watched every ep of The Brady Bunch, but I don't remember the details of any of them. Still, I knew Mike was an architect.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Cultural osmosis is a good term for it. What is Darrin's (from Bewitched) occupation?

Besides being an ass to Samantha?  Advertising executive.

The archive still isn't updated, so we'll find out once it is, but even with cultural osmosis it's entirely possible I won't know any Star Wars clues unless one of them is, "This '70s sci-fi film is wildly popular and spawned numerous sequels, but I have tried twice and never made it through more than half an hour of it."

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ABay said:

The only Star Wars answer I got would've been judged wrong, probably, since I said Star Wars...you know, the orignal title of the first film.

That's what I said too, but I did add "A New Hope" because I knew that's what they wanted.  I'd have fought them over "Star Wars" though.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Is it wrong that I was miffed that young uns are appropriating "senior", and bumping me into "super senior"when I just barely qualify for the original designation? 

Could be worse...there was a game show in the mid-80s called "Trivia Trap" which pitted "Juniors" against "Seniors". Juniors were defined as those "under 30". Seniors, of course, being the "over 30" group.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I've heard of TBT (Throw Back Thursday). I wonder if there's one for every day of the week, each one palindromic? 

I do know TBT, and then there's my favorite: Taco Tuesday (TT).

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Easy peasy since I am still watching Bewitched reruns. The best ones are in BW. (Heck, the best tv shows period are in BW.) I don't care for the color episodes or the ones with Dick Sargent's Darrin. And everyone above is correct, Darrin was a New York ad exec who worked for, then partnered with Larry Tate.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

OK, Darrin being an ad executive was an easy one. How about one I don't know... Danny Thomas in Make Room for Daddy.

Nightclub entertainer, like Ricky Ricardo. Sid Melton played his manager.

I know about TBT, but I have a few feline friends on FB and one of 'em insists it's "Tongue-Out Tuesday" and you have to post pics of your kitty with a tip of its tongue showing. The other one believes it is TOESday instead and wants to see pics of cat feet. He also believes in FRY-day and posts pics of himself with fries. I love both those cats. The fact the they're both black cats makes it even better.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I love both those cats. The fact the they're both black cats makes it even better.

BACC590F-B99A-433D-8A56-906E8650F75C.jpeg.badbdc96223190673177528043b8daf2.jpeg

Those are my cats and they’re all black and born on Halloween to boot. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 9
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

Same here! I would understand one individual not getting it, but none of them? I didn't even know I knew it, but I said it out loud instantly when the clue was revealed.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Coffee M&M's sound a bit questionable to me, though, especially the peanut part.

I missed this discussion. They are called Coffee Nut M&M's and they are delicious. Wal-Mart has them, along with Caramel and Strawberry Nut. A cousin told me she found Raspberry somewhere. They have all kinds of flavors now. I'm not sure about these though: Mexican Jalapeno Peanut and Thai Coconut Peanut.

Back on topic: I knew Mike Brady was an architect!

• Love 3

The next time my child asks me how I know something (that she thinks I’m too old to know) I’m going to answer “cultural osmosis”.  (TM Bastet) 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Gave credit to Bastet.
  • Love 9