Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 10/20/2018 at 12:48 PM, saber5055 said:

I didn't think that category was any easier or more difficult than other categories. Heck, if I can answer ANY Opera clue, much less run the category like I did the other day, the clues were simple, but I wouldn't call it offensive to opera lovers just because I could answer them. And I'm offended than anyone would find Friday's African-American category offensive. But I guess some posters get bent about Woman Author categories and find that offensive. So there's that. I only knew the Harriet Tubman answer because of an episode of Timeless. As I keep repeating, everything is EIYKI. And if you know it, it's Toddler Level. If you don't ... I'm not sure what that's called.

The point is that an American History category (which, of course, would be populated with clues about white men) in DJ would have clues about the sort of things one learns about in college or by independent reading, things at the typical challenge level for DJ-round questions.  Whenever they do an African-American History category, though, they tend to fill it with clues out of a Social Studies textbook.  Like that's all a contestant should be expected to know of African-American history, which is insulting when compared with what they're expected to know of white history, both American and European.  They do it with Women's History categories, too, and those awful Women Artists/Women Authors categories, where you can pre-call at least two of the answers because they repeatedly ask only about a narrow selection of women.

You can keep dismissing it as all boiling down to EIYKI all you want, but that won't make it true; common knowledge has levels - for every fact, there's an age and/or education level at which the majority of people surveyed will know it.  Happening to know something the average person with a post-graduate degree knows and saying, "That's too easy for J!/I can't believe no one got that" is one thing, which is why it hardly ever happens.  Seeing something known by the average high school graduate appear as a high-valued clue or go unanswered on this, the brainiac of quiz shows, and commenting on that discrepancy between what was expected and what happened is a completely different ballgame.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 7

Finally was able to watch Friday's game just now, and, while FJ wasn't exactly an instaget, I did get it.  "Low center of gravity" led me to wrestling, and the Japanese words led me to Sumo. 

I also got shoulder pads, Pennsylvania, and Guns & Roses.  And I will sit over here in my lonely little corner, all by myself, not particularly caring for Hairik. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

And I will sit over here in my lonely little corner, all by myself, not particularly caring for Hairik. 

<pulls up a chair>

I couldn't stand him.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, lb60 said:

<pulls up a chair>

I couldn't stand him.

Come sit by me.  The hair put me off right away.  He's not sporting the afro because it looks good, but because it gets attention.  I feel the same way about tats and piercings.  Do it if it looks good, not because you want to be noticed.  The hair matches his attitude. 

• Love 3

Way to monopolize the contestant interview, Alex! Good thing Eric didn't want to say anything. Not only did Alex take all of Eric's time to talk about himself, but, if the interview segment went from left to right (i.e. champ first), he would have taken the other contestants' time too!!

• Love 7

Wow, what a crash and burn ending.

Is Brown v. Board really acceptable? No need to say "...of Education"? Eric likes to give half answers, like saying just Oliver instead of Oliver Twist. 

• Love 10

Man, I really wanted Alex to pie Hairik.  So disappointed!  And I was disappointed in the end woman, too, for all her stupid guesses that led to a runaway game for Hairik. 

FJ seemed easy, but I will admit to momentarily blanking on the name -- I'm sure "that place in Florida" wouldn't have been acceptable.  Fortunately, I came up with the correct response just in the nick of time, so I'm 1/1 for the week! 

I also got moccasin, drugstore, John Travolta, Gene Autry, and spider. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

LOL, you couldn't wait for Alan to be gone and your wish was granted. What, you have a monkey's paw or something? Ha ha!

I know, I know.  lol

Apparently a non-annoying contestant is too much to ask for these days.

6 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Come sit by me.  

The more the merrier.  :-)

46 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Way to monopolize the contestant interview, Alex! Good thing Eric didn't want to say anything. Not only did Alex take all of Eric's time to talk about himself, but, if the interview segment went from left to right (i.e. champ first), he would have taken the other contestants' time too!!

Seriously!  I kept thinking, he must have a point.  And he must be getting to it annnnnnyyyyyyy minute now.

10 minutes ago, SHD said:

Is Brown v. Board really acceptable? No need to say "...of Education"? Eric likes to give half answers, like saying just Oliver instead of Oliver Twist. 

No, it should not have been acceptable.

Then again, I think Erik is an ass, so that might be clouding my judgment. 

Tonight I got Isle of Man, drugstore, and Travolta (made me sad that no one knew this).

FJ=instaget, but another one where it seemed too obvious to be right.

• Love 6

I got Checker cab (seriously, people, there was a picture of one!), water mocassin, Citizens United, Drugstore Cowboy, Space Cowboy, John Travolta and Mussorgsky. Combine that with Mar-a-Lago for a good night for me. I thought a couple of the categories, like Down_____ and 3-Letter Words really played to Eric's strengths as a crossword puzzle writer. He was lucky he racked up the points there. And also that the other contestants fell apart as badly as he did at the end.

• Love 3

I'm now an even bigger than gigantic Erik fan. He jumped to my top shelf when he asked Trebek, "Do you have a pie?" Unfortunately, Trebek ruined it by HAVING a pie ... that kept dripping over the side and onto the floor. WTHeck kind of pie is made of liquid?

And so much WORD to Trebek stealing the interviews once again. Which no doubt contributed to $4,200 left on the board. But Good For You Erik for helping write a puzzle that made Trebek mad. There's another star I put by your name.

5 minutes ago, Kathira said:

I thought a couple of the categories, like Down_____ and 3-Letter Words really played to Eric's strengths as a crossword puzzle writer.

Yes to the above, which maybe is why I kept thinking Erik being a professional clue writer makes him a formidable Jeopardy contestant. I'm crossing my fingers for ToC. And I am totally LOVING his hair. Très magnifique!

So I was doing other things and didn't hear all the clues, but I did get moccasin (snakes are a specialty since I've had personal interaction with so many different kinds), John Travolta and Gene Autry, the "Singing Cowboy." I also got spider, and since did some research into the sort of spiders that can be found in bananas. Just ask; I'll be happy to share. My Girl Scout troop visited a grocery storage room where our guide told us about spiders and other creatures that come in their shipments. Yes, I remember being a GS!

For the 5 & Dime clue, I answered Kresge's. I totally forgot about Woolworth's. I used to walk downtown as a kid to buy 45s at Woolworth's. They had a pet store in the basement where a spider monkey for sale peed on me through the bars of his cage. That might have started my dislike for all monkeys.

I didn't have a clue in the world for FJ. I grabbed at Martha's Vineyard knowing it was wrong but at least it was an answer all you FJ Instaget smarty pants could make fun of.

• Love 6

The pie thing really threw me off. Erik took it like a good sport. Frankly I think his profession makes him a ringer. 

I had a good night. I got Isle of Man, Checker Cab (duh), water moccasin, Citizens United, Surrealism (Dali fan), Space Cowboy (plus all of the cowboy clues), Travolta, Gene Autry, and the FJ of Mar-A-Lago was an instaget. I got all of the urban _____ and three letter words beginning in “e”. I hope all of his games are not runaways. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, SHD said:

Brown v. Board definitely should have gotten a BMS. I let out a sneak though since I mentioned Thurgood Marshall and that case in a comment yesterday. And I think that’s the first time I’ve heard Rosa Parks referred to as just “Parks”. It’s  almost like RosaParks is one name for me LOL

Poor Michael was all nicely dressed and polite but he got steamrolled. 

For TS I got checker cab (with a photo), Drugstore Cowboy (great movie), Space Cowboy and John Travolta. My brain couldn’t process FJ but as soon as Alex started giving hints, facepalm.

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I'm now an even bigger than gigantic Erik fan. He jumped to my top shelf when he asked Trebek, "Do you have a pie?" Unfortunately, Trebek ruined it by HAVING a pie ... that kept dripping over the side and onto the floor. WTHeck kind of pie is made of liquid?

My guess is that, like a lot of those throwing prop pies, it was either just a tin with whipped cream or pie crust filled with whip cream. That thing was probably sitting under the hot studio lights and the whipped cream melted.

In Chicago, Checker cabs were green and cream colored, not yellow, so I said "yellow cab" too. I'm surprised Eric didn't just say "cab" and have it accepted.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Poor Michael was all nicely dressed and polite but he got steamrolled. 

Oh, yes. Big credit to Michael for being nicely dressed. He reminded me of a recent discussion I overheard about when people used to get dressed up to fly while now everyone pretty much wears pajamas. So I appreciated Michael's Old School properness.

When showing dogs, even in the heat of outdoor summer shows, the unwritten code is if the judge is wearing a sport coat and tie, exhibitors should as well. If the judge takes off his jacket, then exhibitors may also remove theirs. I sort of hold Jeopardy and its contestants to the same code. Well, the male players anyway.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

For TS I got checker cab (with a photo), Drugstore Cowboy (great movie), Space Cowboy and John Travolta. My brain couldn’t process FJ but as soon as Alex started giving hints, facepalm.

Figured out FJ fairly quickly after dismissing Camp David. That cowboy category was mostly a fail for them, but I got them too. 

• Love 4

I don't find Eric annoying at all. He just strikes me as very nonchalant but that that's his real personality. I was really on a roll tonight and Final Jeopardy was an instant answer for me, probably because I used to watch that show that came on A&E a long time ago about old homes. There's no way the woman on the end shouldn't have gotten John Travolta. I was on a roll for pretty much most of the first round except for Europeans and I knew one of those because there has been a big controversy about it lately.  I can't believe I didn't get Space Cowboy... I love Steve Miller songs. I got every other one in that category. I even did well in the Supreme Court category and terrible in something to read. I only got two of those.

• Love 9
15 hours ago, illdoc said:

Geez louise! I honestly thought Alex wouldn't even bring his monologue back to Erik. I thought he'd just tell his tale and then get a "Yup" or something from Erik, and that would be it!

13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I also got spider, and since did some research into the sort of spiders that can be found in bananas. Just ask; I'll be happy to share. My Girl Scout troop visited a grocery storage room where our guide told us about spiders and other creatures that come in their shipments. 

I'll tell you a story. My husband, mother, and I went to a Fuddruckers in Denver in the 80's. Remember those? Are they around anymore? The lines to the counter were created with crates of vegetables. Anyway, my mother said, "Is that real?" On the floor was what looked like a tarantula. I said it had to be fake. I moved toward it, and it moved! YIKES! I went to the counter and quietly told the guy that there was a spider they needed to get. He told another guy to get a kleenex. I said he'd need more than that. When he saw it, he couldn't believe it. Well, they got it somehow and gave us a dozen mini chocolate chip cookies -- I think to keep us quiet :D. We were told it was a wolf spider that must have hitchhiked in one of the vegetable crates.

I used to walk downtown as a kid to buy 45s at Woolworth's. They had a pet store in the basement where a spider monkey for sale peed on me through the bars of his cage. That might have started my dislike for all monkeys.

That'll do it.

I got a few TSs -- Citizens United, Surrealism, Drugstore Cowboy, John Travolta, Gene Autry, and spider. Instead of Mussorgsky, I said Musorsky. (I don't know if I would have gotten away with that pronunciation.) Also, for the snake, I said copperhead since its head looked like copper.

FJ was basically an instaget, though I wrote it as Mara-Lago.

I enjoyed Mike's setting-his-face-on-fire story. 

Edited by peeayebee
corrected a significant typo
  • Love 3

I thought about everything in the song except "Space Cowboy." Gangster of Love, Maurice, pompatus of love. Now I have that song on the brain, which is annoying because I don't like it (that "wheet..wheew" catcall, ugh!)

I wondered if Absurdism would have been acceptable in place of Surrealism.

For FJ all I could think of was "Trump's Florida place", but the name eluded me. I did know Checker cab, water moccasin, Drugstore Cowboy, John Travolta, spider. and Mussorgsky.

Erik is OK with me. I'm a sucker for big hair on guys. I thought Joanna might pull off a win until she flamed out. Her $300 was actually a pretty good haul back in 1973.

And yes to all those annoyed by Alex going on and on about his crossword puzzle!

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

See now I have Steve Miller on the brain and I can't stop singing different things especially some people call me Maurice

I went a different direction. I put on Rhinestone Cowboy.

Fun fact- my dog’s name is Maurice (came with the name)

• Love 5

As per usual on Mondays, I watched football tonight instead, but I took a break to read the archive (shorter break than watching the game, and the Giants were well and truly pissing me off - as they do - anyway).

Two TS surprised me tonight – water moccasin, because I figured they were pretty notorious and water was given in the clue (that was an instaget for me even without having access to the picture), and Citizens United.  Now, it’s obviously hard for me to be objective on that one, as a lawyer (after all, Marbury v Madison, the missed DD, was an instaget for me too).  But while I don’t expect M v M to be well known generally, or even all that well known among J! contestants (although I do think that must at least come up in their study, as it's one of the most-influential cases in Supreme Court history and the show does do SC categories semi-regularly), Citizens United is far more recent, and something that got a lot of attention and fired up a lot of people in opposition to it.  So that one I did think at least one contestant would know.

Maybe John Travolta a little bit, too, but that would depend on the contestants’ ages, I guess, as to whether Urban Cowboy is “before their time.”  Same thing with Gene Autry being the singing cowboy.

Oh, and if checker cab had a picture (I can’t see them on the archive), then add that to my list.

I got most of the TS, but two of them are clues I literally could have sat here until I perished from dehydration and malnutrition and not come up with, as I’d never heard of them – the Feast of Lupercalia and Modest Mussorgsky.  (I am bad with composers.  And ancient Roman festivals, apparently.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5

The Joker is my favorite Steve Miller song.

I also couldn't believe they didn't give Gene Autry. I also thought she was going to make a comeback and make it competitive. I was a little bit disappointed

• Love 1

I was surprised they were going to allow just “Citizens United” as every other answer required both sides. I couldn’t think of the v. FEC, and I wonder if the contestants were worried they’d have to know that part. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Pallida said:

I was surprised they were going to allow just “Citizens United” as every other answer required both sides. I couldn’t think of the v. FEC, and I wonder if the contestants were worried they’d have to know that part. 

Maybe, but Brown v. Board had already been accepted (WTF?), so I don't think they needed to worry; while the case is properly titled Citizens United vs. Federal Election Commission, it is almost always referred to in media discussion as just Citizens United.  (And Brown is technically Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, but no one ever requires that.)

• Love 3

I got lots of TSs today, but came up with Mussagorsky, so would gottten that one wrong. I did get Isle of Man, Checker cab, water moccasin, Marbury v Madison, Citizens United, Drugstore Cowboy, Travolta, Gene Autry, and the FJ of Mar-a-Lago. 

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Maybe, but Brown v. Board had already been accepted (WTF?), so I don't think they needed to worry; while the case is properly titled Citizens United vs. Federal Election Commission, it is almost always referred to in media discussion as just Citizens United.  (And Brown is technically Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, but no one ever requires that.)

The Citizens United decision is usually referred to that way. I'm reasobnably familiar with it, enough to have gotten the answer, but I couldn't have come up with "vs. the Federal Election Commission." On the other hand, the Brown decision  usually referred to as Brown vs. the Board of Education, like Bush v. Gore, etc.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Kathira said:

I got Checker cab (seriously, people, there was a picture of one!), water mocassin, Citizens United, Drugstore Cowboy, Space Cowboy, John Travolta and Mussorgsky. Combine that with Mar-a-Lago for a good night for me. I thought a couple of the categories, like Down_____ and 3-Letter Words really played to Eric's strengths as a crossword puzzle writer. He was lucky he racked up the points there. And also that the other contestants fell apart as badly as he did at the end.

I got Checker cab (to be fair, the "checkers" are a small part of that yellow cab), Citizen's United, John Travolta, and the spider. Also, Mar-a-Lago (though I would have spelled it Maralago, but since the syllables and pronunciation would be the same, I guess it would be accepted).

11 hours ago, catrice2 said:

See now I have Steve Miller on the brain and I can't stop singing different things especially some people call me Maurice

I loved that song as a youngun - when I read your post, I thought of the "wheet...wheew" (thanks for spelling it out @GreekGeek) horn - I believe it was a horn, I'm not that good at identifying instruments). I was so disappointed (as a kid) when Miller wasn't quite as attractive as he sounded.

Speaking of BMS's, the Mister (the musician in the house) said Bach needed a BMS, as there are a ton of them. Me, I focused on the Johann (because there are a ton of those), and didn't get it.

I also called three of the Down____ answers when they announced the category (made me very pleased with myself, I must say...lol)

• Love 3

When she said, "Roy Rogers," I said, "No, the OTHER one!" then laughed like a loon when AT said, "No, the OTHER one."

I got Marbury v Madison, but blanked on Citizens United.

I remember that when Dan Quayle was VP and everybody was telling "dumb guy" jokes about him, I heard one that said he thought Roe v. Wade were just alternative ways of crossing the Potomac.  And it really amazed me that it took so long for someone to come up with that joke. Honestly, it practically writes itself. How come we never noticed the built-in joke until we needed another "dumb guy" joke?

• Love 7

I've seen a few places that just refer to it as "Brown v Board," mostly in headlines.  For example, here's the BBC's obituary of Linda Brown:  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43550431

Here's a recent article from the ACLU: https://www.aclu.org/blog/racial-justice/race-and-inequality-education/brown-v-board-made-it-64-how-much-longer-will-it

Here's an article from the National Constitution Center commemorating the anniversary of the case: https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/on-this-day-the-supreme-court-rules-against-segregation

I don't know, it didn't strike me as that unusual.  Seems to me that I've heard it abbreviated as "Brown v Board" often enough that it seemed reasonable to me. As Bastet noted, even "Brown v Board of Education" is a shortening of its proper name.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, lb60 said:

I think Erik is an ass, so that might be clouding my judgment. 

I'm with you!  And the false humility he exudes in his answers that always sound like he's just not sure (when he knows full well he has the correct answer) plus the fact that he often gives, what I would call incomplete answers, really grate on my nerves.  Hoping he's dethroned soon.

• Love 8

I love Erik's hair.  How does one grow an Afro like that?  Does it require shaping, or do you just let your hair run wild? (serious question BTW).  I hate snakes, etc. so fast forwarded through the venom category.  I got not one answer in the Supreme Court category.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I thought Joanna might pull off a win until she flamed out. Her $300 was actually a pretty good haul back in 1973.

Trebek's pie dancing made me forget the other two interviews, which were quite good. The woman being on Art Fleming's Jeopardy was an outstanding story. I need to see if any of those old episodes are online. Yeah, $300 was a nice win, plus one could BUY THINGS! right there on stage during the end of the show. Like the $4,500 Dalmatian statue that was always offered for winners on Wheel to purchase.

And the guy in the middle setting his face on fire. Big YIKES to that. But he came out of it pretty well, he looked great. Maybe I need to set my face on fire a couple of times.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

What's Erik's last name?

Happy Mole Day! 

Erik Agard. And a Happy Mole Day to you, @peeayebee!

12 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I love Erik's hair.  How does one grow an Afro like that?  Does it require shaping, or do you just let your hair run wild? (serious question BTW). 

One has to have the correct kind of hair to grow a 'fro like that. I cannot, but would if I could. Maybe if I got a certain kind of perm, I could do it. I equate it to dog hair, which I am quite familiar with. Poodles have hair like Erik's, which is why they are used for grooming shows, they are easy to sculpt and shape. You can't do much with the straight, flat hair that a Cocker Spaniel has except brush it and let it fall straight.

Anyway, the hair is washed and blown dry in layers and brushed while being blown dry. Once the hair is all straight and standing on end, take scissors and trim it by snipping any bits that stick up higher than they should so the finished product (Erik's hair!) is perfectly round. And there you go. Here's a Poodle in show trim. They do NOT come like that, this dog has been completely sculpted. Bathed, given a brushed blow dry, then shaped by scissors all the way around. Once the dog is in trim, only a little bit of trimming/snipping of stray hair is needed before each show. Or before each episode of Jeopardy.

poodle.jpg

• Love 8

I felt badly for Mike in the middle - they showed him near the end of the game and I didn't remember having seen him in the earlier part of the game. so I knew he hadn't answered too many questions.

Did okay on ts's, got Isle of Man, John Travolta, Gene Autry and spider.  I was surprised no one even guessed spider or tarantula - no one is familiar with Banana Boat Song anymore, I guess.

I mute the interviews but it looked to me like Alex was doing most of the talking during Erik's interview so boo hiss to him.

Not a clue for FJ.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Trebek's pie dancing made me forget the other two interviews, which were quite good. The woman being on Art Fleming's Jeopardy was an outstanding story. I need to see if any of those old episodes are online. Yeah, $300 was a nice win, plus one could BUY THINGS! right there on stage during the end of the show. Like the $4,500 Dalmation statue that was always offered for winners on Wheel to purchase.

And the guy in the middle setting his face on fire. Big YIKES to that. But he came out of it pretty well, he looked great. Maybe I need to set my face on fire a couple of times.

I liked Joanna and was sorry to see her tank. 

That Dalmatian remains fixed in my mind as the symbol for WoF, and the crap prizes of old game shows. Though I do remember wanting a Jeopardy board game. 

I missed water moccasin because the lighting in the photo made the head look coppery, so of course I went with copperhead. Sigh...

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I missed water moccasin because the lighting in the photo made the head look coppery, so of course I went with copperhead. Sigh...

I was listening, not looking, so got the answer correct. Of course, that did make me miss Checker Cab, I said Yellow Cab. Well, Checkers ARE yellow.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

You're the second person to post that, so maybe not being able to see the photo (I was reading the archive, not watching the show) wound up helping me.  Because, without any "wait, is that copper-colored?" to distract me, the clue boiled down to "the water ____ snake is venomous" and that was easy for me since water moccasin is the only water snake I know the name of, and it has a rather infamous reputation (scary-looking [plus something about being in the water is creepy] and potent venom).  I did not, however, know the duck-billed platypus is venomous.  The name is memorable, and I've seen pictures, but never learned anything about it.  Leave it to Australia to have one of the few venomous mammals on the planet.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I did not, however, know the duck-billed platypus is venomous.  The name is memorable, and I've seen pictures, but never learned anything about it.  Leave it to Australia to have one of the few venomous mammals on the planet.

Same here. That answer surprised me. 

Yesterday was totally my day! I got moccasin, Lupercalia (too much teaching of Julius Caesar to not get that one), Isle of Man, Drugstore, Space Cowboy, John Travolta, Gene Autry, and spider. All that and a correct FJ - I was on fire.

• Love 5