Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

"If I Were a Carpenter" by Tim Hardin...

If I were a carpenter, and you were a lady
Would you marry me anyway?
Would you have my baby?
If a tinker were my trade, would you still find me
Carrying the pots I made, following behind me?

That's how I knew the answer.

As for Joe Perry = Eagles, y'all are probably thinking of Joe Walsh.

That may be how I knew tinker - but it also may be that I read a lot of historical fiction.

As for me, I confused Joe Perry and Steve Perry, so I confidently shouted "Journey!"

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

And there is the ever popular "Don vs. Dawn" argument.

Or almond vs. ah-mond. English is an ever-evolving thing and meaning, pronunciation and even spelling, are a moving target.

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

As for me, I confused Joe Perry and Steve Perry, so I confidently shouted "Journey!"

I said Journey, too, but I thought Joe and Steve might have been brothers in the same band. 

1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

Don't start.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

But me saying that puts me in the category of posters here who say they are shocked when everyone doesn't know what they know. A case of IEIYKI.

It's not about thinking everyone should know what they know, or even that among any random sampling of three people, at least one of them should know it, it's simply being surprised that among three people who qualified for and then further studied to appear on this specific quiz show, a particular clue went unanswered.  That may be because it seems common enough knowledge that you'd expect at least one of three people of that caliber to be among those who know it, because one contestant's incorrect guess really ought to have given it away to one of the other two, because there were enough clues within the clue that it's surprising none of the three could reason their way to it even if they didn't know the specific fact at hand, etc.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Trey said:

I do not know what this means. I tried to decipher it but did not succeed.

That wasn't me, that was me quoting another post, but it stands for "it's easy if you know it."

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

because one contestant's incorrect guess really ought to have given it away to one of the other two,

I don't think that theory works for FJ, the main category that makes posters here stunned, shocked, amazed, staggered, gobsmacked that no one knew it based on the oh-so-obvious clue. Even during the game, when it's a TS, most of the time there isn't one contestant's incorrect guess. If you doubt me, read backward.

Like I posted earlier, everything is EIYKI (easy if you know it).

• Love 3
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I don't think that theory works for FJ,

It was only one of three examples of why one might find a TS surprising, so it doesn't need to.

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Like I posted earlier, everything is EIYKI (easy if you know it).

Right, but "I know it" is not often the basis of posters being surprised none of the contestants did; instead, it's usually (either explicitly or by context) rooted in things like the examples I listed.

Edited by Bastet

You know, when the FJ clue mentioned "low center of gravity", I thought "wrestling", but all I could think of was "Greco-Roman wrestling" and I figured that can't be right, it needs to be Japanese, and so started naming various martial arts (tae kwon do, jujitsu, akido, etc.) hoping one of those was Japanese and correct. Sumo never crossed my mind, but was definitely a "Duh" moment when it was revealed (hangs head in shame). Ruined, what was up until today, a perfect FJ week. Sigh.

• Love 7
47 minutes ago, illdoc said:

You know, when the FJ clue mentioned "low center of gravity", I thought "wrestling", but all I could think of was "Greco-Roman wrestling" and I figured that can't be right, it needs to be Japanese, and so started naming various martial arts (tae kwon do, jujitsu, akido, etc.) hoping one of those was Japanese and correct. Sumo never crossed my mind, but was definitely a "Duh" moment when it was revealed (hangs head in shame). Ruined, what was up until today, a perfect FJ week. Sigh.

Wow, kudos to you for coming up with all those sports. You should get points just for that. Sympathy on missing a perfect FJ week, but thanks for cutting slack to other players!

I was all for Herschel; that was my uncle's name, a man who was larger than life and a hero to me. It's not a common name so I had to root for him.

I was all about Erik's hair though. Of course Trebek had to mention it and ruin my admiration just a little bit. And again, Trebek was with the "Alan's an ancient old decrepit misfit" talk. Geesh. Cut the old guy some slack Trebek, since obviously his brain cells are all still there and work just fine.

Erik also got a GFY. That was about all of my takeaway from today's game. Except Trebek saying the week started and ended with SUPER EASY FJs. Way to rub it in, right illdoc?

I'm posting this interesting tidbit as copied from TheJeopardyFan.com:

art | October 19, 2018 at 9:22 am | Reply

The NYT Crossword Puzzle folks have played up Erik’s appearance this week ( https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/17/crosswords/daily-puzzle-2018-10-18.html ). Erik also had a puzzle by-line last Friday (a collaboration with Bruce Haight) – it’s a bit surprising to have someone with two puzzles in the Times in less than a week.

I’m writing this BEFORE watching the show, and before the results were posted here. It will be interesting to see if Erik has the same Jeopardy success as NYT puzzle contributor Joon Pahk did back in 2011 (7 wins and a TOC Semi-finalist, losing to eventual champ Roger Craig).

Meanwhile, what's up with @CarpeDiem54? Come out, come out, wherever you are. And I hope @forumfish is doing well with the floods. Good time to have a fish avatar maybe?

• Love 7

Watched sober tonight and am now wondering if my brain loosens up a bit after a glass of wine. Meaning I didn’t do as well. I did get shoulder pads, Harriet Tubman, The Prince and the Pauper, foot, peso and missed FJ. I thought it was something in the martial arts. 

On one clue I said smoke screen instead of smoke and mirrors and am sure I would have been called wrong. 

• Love 3

I love Erik's hair! I'm growing out my afro, and I'd love it if it got that big. 

I had shoulder pads, Pennsylvania, Jewel, and Guns N' Roses. 

I was thrilled to see Sports as an FJ category, but I was disappointed that it was so easy. 

• Love 8
8 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Fun fact, my parents debated naming me Dawn, but thought it sounded too much like a boy's name and ended up giving me a name which when shortened (as is common practice with that particular name), is a boy's name. I don't mind it, but I always wonder what they were thinking.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, saber5055 said:

We say "chawk" here in the Midwest.

There was another "Silent L" answer where the woman very distinctly pronounced the "L" in her answer. I just didn't write it down.

I pronounce the "L" in balm. So sue me. But I can make it sound like "bomb" if you want me to. I agree they needed to write the clue for "salve," a less controversial answer.

Well, I have never once heard 'salve' pronounced without the L sound, so I wouldn't categorize that as noncontroversial.

FJ was easy for me, perhaps by virtue of knowing nothing about the sport other than it's big guys in butt floss outfits -- it had to be an Asian form of wrestling, and that was the only one I knew.

After several games in a row with no surprising TS for me, my eyes bugged a little at shoulder pads going unanswered.  That was one of those clues with several hints within it, and the ‘80s shoulder pads seem infamous enough I expected at least one of the three to know it.

I also got brief shining moment, foot, pesos, Jewel, and Guns N’ Roses, but those didn’t surprise me as TS (okay, maybe GnR a little bit).

The Harriet Tubman clue was too simple for a DD in DJ.  Same with the great migration.  And, holy hell, separate but not equal.  It’s offensive to fill an African American history category, in DJ no less, with Teen Tournament-level clues.

The contestants didn’t get at first that they only needed to name the organ, not the organ and the injury, and that was irrationally bugging me.

I liked their laughter at the Dalai Lama and Mr. Rogers aren’t likely to break out in a fight clue, though.

Talisker is one of my favorite single-malt scotches, so I poured a glass during the commercial break between rounds thanks to the clue.  I wish I’d already had some for the painful flashbacks the Sarah Palin clue gave me.

They’d have uncovered the last clue in the first round if Alex hadn’t added so much superfluous commentary throughout that entire final category, even though they were already at less than a minute when they started it.  Grrr.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Erik also got a GFY. That was about all of my takeaway from today's game. Except Trebek saying the week started and ended with SUPER EASY FJs. Way to rub it in, right illdoc?@CarpeDiem54? Come out, come out, wherever you are. And I hope @forumfish is doing well with the floods. Good time to have a fish avatar maybe?

Yeah, saying the FJ was easy before revealing the answers is kind of rude (a ruder word came to mind, but I self-edited).

Speaking of ruder words, one starting with F came to mind when the FJ category was shown. I was going into it with 4 FJ's this week and thought "there goes my 5/5" - but fortunately, I got it right away (not quite an instaget, but almost).

Shoulder pads was easy - but then I spent most of the 80's cutting them out of my clothes - my shoulders were wide enough, and I'm very short. I didn't need to go around looking like Mighty Mouse.

• Love 4

The only TS I got was shoulder pads.

Instead of 'burning the midnight oil" I said "burning a candle at both ends." I don't think that would have been accepted because I think the wording in the clue mentioned a time word.

I loved the old photo of Harding, Firestone, and a napping Edison.

I was surprised that Erik didn't get a BMS when he answered, "Who is Oliver?" Alex filled in "Twist."

• Love 10
28 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Well, I have never once heard 'salve' pronounced without the L sound, so I wouldn't categorize that as noncontroversial.

It seems everything here is controversial lately. I say "saav" for salve. But I'm Midwest born and raised. I'm guessing it's different wherever everyone else is, just like our past discussion of pop vs. soda vs. Coke vs. carbonated drink. (p.s. Pop is correct. Ha ha. Hey, I think that was a Jeopardy clue in the not-too-distant past.)

5 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I was surprised that Erik didn't get a BMS when he answered, "Who is Oliver?" Alex filled in "Twist."

I hope when I am on this show, Trebek finishes my answers for me.

6 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I wonder what the photographer was doing there. It's not like today when everyone is snapping pics with a phone. The guy had to be carrying a big Speed Graflex. I'd be hard pressed to go to sleep with that in front of me.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

Well, I have never once heard 'salve' pronounced without the L sound,

If you don't mind sharing, I'm curious where you're located.  Regional pronunciations make these categories problematic, but - unlike a few other clues where I'd heard the word pronounced either both with and without the L to some degree or never heard it pronounced with the L being truly silent - salve is one where I've never heard it pronounced with the L at all present.  And I'm a fair a bit of a traveler, so I'd love to satisfy my curiosity if you're willing.

• Love 2

I didn't mind Alan (glad he's on track for ToC), but was rooting for Jessica. We loved her science-y top at maison Toothbrush.  But totally agree than Pinochet needed a BMS (as did Oliver on Friday).

Anyone else relieved that the C'est La TV category was not Alex giving French translations of TV show names? 

I am about a week behind on NYT crosswords, so I am looking forward to Erik's. Speaking of CWP, the one I did today while getting a pedicure referenced peatness in scotch, which is how I answered that clue correctly. My dad does CWP in ink like Alan; I do them on my phone with a red slash indicating incorrect letters..lol 

Friday's TS were shoulder pads, PA (Erik's DD), yuan, Jewel, Gun & Roses. I don't remember if peso was a TS, but if so I got that one too. 

DDs have been simple lately; I have been wagering all of my imaginary earnings. And clue values =/=degree of difficulty lately, IMO.

10 hours ago, Kathira said:

Or almond vs. ah-mond. English is an ever-evolving thing and meaning, pronunciation and even spelling, are a moving target.

I pre-guessed almond as an answer when the category was announced.

4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Watched sober tonight and am now wondering if my brain loosens up a bit after a glass of wine.

I was drinking coffee instead of my usual glass of wine, and told Dr. Toothbrush I thought I did better than usual..lol 

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Speaking of ruder words, one starting with F came to mind when the FJ category was shown. I was going into it with 4 FJ's this week and thought "there goes my 5/5" - but fortunately, I got it right away (not quite an instaget, but almost).

I did the same as far as the rude word goes, but I did not get FJ correct. My perfect streak broken. Boo hiss

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

Anyone else relieved that the C'est La TV category was not Alex giving French translations of TV show names? 

I don’t think I figured that one out. What was the common thread in there?

• Love 3
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I wonder what the photographer was doing there. It's not like today when everyone is snapping pics with a phone. The guy had to be carrying a big Speed Graflex. I'd be hard pressed to go to sleep with that in front of me.

There is an American Experience (PBS) season 1 documentary about those trips (there were numerous trips, though the parties changed somewhat) entitled "Henry Ford "Camping" with Edison and Firestone."  Photographers and cameramen were invited along as these camping trips were very media friendly/publicity stunts, IMO.  YouTube also has a few films on these trips.

Here is a short clip from the PBS documentary: Henry Ford "Camping" with Edison and Firestone

Here are more details from the History Channel: Ford and Edison’s Excellent Camping Adventures

Taft was a very wrong response based on his comparative size to Harding.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 4

my eyes bugged a little at shoulder pads going unanswered. 

I said to Mr. Author, "A woman would have gotten that."

He said, "I got it."

Oops!

Although he beat me on Tinkerbelle (he was on belle while I was still on Tinker), I was the one who got Sumo. Hah!

• Love 5

Thanks @Bazinga for that info about Henry Ford's camping American Experience. I need to look that up online. AE is one of my favorite programs, but I currently only get two channels, NBC and ABC, so my tv viewing is limited. My depression deepened when I lost three PBS channels. But I'll bet you got that clue answered correctly. It was a great photo.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Driad said:

Most people I hear do not pronounce the L in salmon, but do in salmonella, and in the name Salman (e.g. Rushdie).  (Is the name Salman related to Solomon?)

Yes, and it's pronounced more like Sol-mon. There seems to be some difference of opinion on how the name of Scottish politician Alex Salmond is pronounced, however. People with Scottish accents seem to pronounce the "l" fairly strongly, as Sal-mund, but the British newspeople seems to say it more like Sau-mund.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Driad said:

Most people I hear do not pronounce the L in salmon

I'm watching a travel show, they are in Lithuania. The local tour guide just said the river they are traveling is know for its pike and SAL-mon.

I told you everything here is controversial lately.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

If you don't mind sharing, I'm curious where you're located.  Regional pronunciations make these categories problematic, but - unlike a few other clues where I'd heard the word pronounced either both with and without the L to some degree or never heard it pronounced with the L being truly silent - salve is one where I've never heard it pronounced with the L at all present.  And I'm a fair a bit of a traveler, so I'd love to satisfy my curiosity if you're willing.

I'm from Southwestern Ontario.

Almond is another one that is surprising me - never heard it without the 'L' pronounced.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, opus said:

I'm wondering the same thing. I just looked at the clues, and I don't think there was a common thread, other than having to do with TV. I think the writers just wanted to be cute with C'est la Vie, Vie rhyming with TV.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Harriet Tubman clue was too simple for a DD in DJ.  Same with the great migration.  And, holy hell, separate but not equal.  It’s offensive to fill an African American history category, in DJ no less, with Teen Tournament-level clues.

THIS. I guess I should take some solace in the fact they didn't go for the usual MLK - Malcolm X -Booker T Washington triple play but I don't. 

I got the shoulder pad and Guns N Roses TS. I'm embarrassed I didn't get the sumo FJ. I just couldn't get past karate.

I loved Herschel. Even though he pretty much trailed throughout, he was genuinely happy to be competing and was audibly tickled by some of the clues. Not sure how I feel about Erik yet. He certainly has good knowledge but I'm not a big fan of the kind of rapid fire, just-me-and-Alex kind of playing. 

17 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Meanwhile, what's up with @CarpeDiem54? Come out, come out, wherever you are.

I'm missing @CarpeDiem54 too. Hope everything's OK.

• Love 5

The word play with clear hints at the answers were quite noticeable in the clues this week.  The hints really help to find those answers in the deep recesses of your brain if someone doesn't buzz in before you get to them.

I live for the music categories.  No one got Guns 'n' Roses?  Ouch.

New champ needs to answer with confidence.  The constant shoulder shrug, I'm not sure if this is right routine is going to get old real quick.

• Love 3
On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 2:41 PM, peeayebee said:

I said Journey, too, but I thought Joe and Steve might have been brothers in the same band. 

Don't start.

Same for me with Journey

16 hours ago, peeayebee said:

The only TS I got was shoulder pads.

Instead of 'burning the midnight oil" I said "burning a candle at both ends." I don't think that would have been accepted because I think the wording in the clue mentioned a time word.

There were a few others I was surprised they gave Eirk.  seemed to be very lenient with him, if he just gave a vague idea of the right answer, they counted it.

Plus I can't believe he answered ACDC instead of Guns and Roses.  Wasn't super impressed with him despite the win. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:
23 hours ago, Bastet said:

THIS. I guess I should take some solace in the fact they didn't go for the usual MLK - Malcolm X -Booker T Washington triple play but I don't. 

I didn't think that category was any easier or more difficult than other categories. Heck, if I can answer ANY Opera clue, much less run the category like I did the other day, the clues were simple, but I wouldn't call it offensive to opera lovers just because I could answer them. And I'm offended than anyone would find Friday's African-American category offensive. But I guess some posters get bent about Woman Author categories and find that offensive. So there's that. I only knew the Harriet Tubman answer because of an episode of Timeless. As I keep repeating, everything is EIYKI. And if you know it, it's Toddler Level. If you don't ... I'm not sure what that's called.

7 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Plus I can't believe he answered ACDC instead of Guns and Roses. 

I couldn't answer a single one of the music clues. What does that say about me? At least Erik gave it a wild stab guess.

I also didn't know shoulder pads and wouldn't have guessed that answer in a bazillion years. Now I guess you guys know more about me than's comfortable.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, opus said:

I agree with @peeayebee - just writers thinking they are cute & clever.

2 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I'm missing @CarpeDiem54 too. Hope everything's OK.

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Same here. 

And here

Did Hairik's (TM Prevailing Wind) crossword at the littles' karate practice this morning, & it was so-so as far as being challenging went. Pretty cut & dry to me. I also did one by Jerry Orbach's son, Tony, so it has been a full day as far as my CWP brush with fame goes..lol I like Hairik ok, but he is thisclose to a 'too cool for this' vibe. And he needs to sound more confident in his answers, but something is telling me that is an affect. 

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

And he needs to sound more confident in his answers, but something is telling me that is an affect. 

Agreed!

Only got one ts and that was Pennsylvania.  Instaget FJ.

• Love 2
On 10/19/2018 at 6:21 PM, illdoc said:

Wow, I could have typed this exact same post! I was watching with Mom and she filled in the word sumo after I said wrestling but before I could come up with the type of wrestling. 

I only got shoulder pads for a TS.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 2

Anybody else mutter to themselves while reading the pronunciation posts to try to figure out if you say things both ways? Just me? :) 

Mr. Pallida compared Erik’s mannerisms to Napoleon Dynamite. I don’t love some of his wild guesses, but I do appreciate his extensive knowledge and find his hair to be fabulous. 

• Love 6
17 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I didn't think that category was any easier or more difficult than other categories. Heck, if I can answer ANY Opera clue, much less run the category like I did the other day, the clues were simple, but I wouldn't call it offensive to opera lovers just because I could answer them. And I'm offended than anyone would find Friday's African-American category offensive. But I guess some posters get bent about Woman Author categories and find that offensive. So there's that. I only knew the Harriet Tubman answer because of an episode of Timeless. As I keep repeating, everything is EIYKI. And if you know it, it's Toddler Level. If you don't ... I'm not sure what that's called.

Jeopardy! is a game show; I enjoy it as such and as a result I don't get bent about much that is presented there. The point I was making about the African-American history category is that Jeopardy! routinely takes this subject which now spans 400 years and narrowly defines it as slavery and the civil rights movement of the 60s, and even more specifically as Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, Harriet Tubman/the Underground Railroad, Thurgood Marshall/Brown v. Board of Ed, and Booker T. Washington. Sometimes there's a Dred Scott or Sojourner Truth thrown in when the writers are feeling adventurous. I was actually thrilled they included Jacob Lawrence; it would be nice to see more fine artists represented in that category.

I admit, given the popularity of rock music, that I too would be surprised someone thought a Guns N Roses song was AC/DC. Mileage varies but I don't see music fandom and the historical representation of an ethnic group as comparable.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Pallida said:

Anybody else mutter to themselves while reading the pronunciation posts to try to figure out if you say things both ways? Just me? :)

Not only that, but then I couldn't remember which way I normally said them, after trying them out again and again. Also, I jokingly use a funny pronunciation of almond I heard once. I'm not quite sure how to represent it - but it's something like "AA mond"

13 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I admit, given the popularity of rock music, that I too would be surprised someone thought a Guns N Roses song was AC/DC. Mileage varies but I don't see music fandom and the historical representation of an ethnic group as comparable.

Raises hand. I said AC/DC - I think there was something in the clue that made me think of them (likely a reference to power). It's rock of my era, but I wasn't particularly fond of either band.

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Also, I jokingly use a funny pronunciation of almond I heard once. I'm not quite sure how to represent it - but it's something like "AA mond"

That would be my father's sisters in Philadelphia who pronounce it like that. Same with SAA-mon.  Aunt Stella lived on SAAmon Street. But be careful with those joke pronunciations. Remember the store "Zayre's"?  (rhymes with hairs). I once heard a woman pronounce it ZAY-ree's. I went home & told my mom about it and we jokingly pronounced it like that ALL the time to each other. Then I caught my mom pronouncing it like that in front of her friends, Later, I told her I was sure they thought she was an idiot for pronouncing it ZAY-ree's. We stopped calling it ZAY-ree's.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

That would be my father's sisters in Philadelphia who pronounce it like that. Same with SAA-mon.  Aunt Stella lived on SAAmon Street. But be careful with those joke pronunciations. Remember the store "Zayre's"?  (rhymes with hairs). I once heard a woman pronounce it ZAY-ree's. I went home & told my mom about it and we jokingly pronounced it like that ALL the time to each other. Then I caught my mom pronouncing it like that in front of her friends, Later, I told her I was sure they thought she was an idiot for pronouncing it ZAY-ree's. We stopped calling it ZAY-ree's.

I only use it as an in joke with the Mister, so I'm safe there. :)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Remember the store "Zayre's"?  (rhymes with hairs). I once heard a woman pronounce it ZAY-ree's. I went home & told my mom about it and we jokingly pronounced it like that ALL the time to each other. Then I caught my mom pronouncing it like that in front of her friends, Later, I told her I was sure they thought she was an idiot for pronouncing it ZAY-ree's. We stopped calling it ZAY-ree's.

That's hysterical, a great story. When we were handling a bunch of dogs, we had a Papillon, pronounced pappy-yon. I started calling the dog a pa-PILL-yon as a joke around the kennel. Next dog show, I went to the ring to pick up the number for the Papillon and said, "I need pap-PILL-yon number 12." The ring steward gave me my armband without saying anything and I left, highly mortified after I realized my slip up. I stopped calling the dog that that very day.

And yeah, I remember Zayre's. I'd call it ZAY-ree's in your honor if there were still one around. I guess it's good they're gone.

3 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Mileage varies but I don't see music fandom and the historical representation of an ethnic group as comparable.

I do. They are all Jeopardy categories.

• Love 3