Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

In the Job DW clue, I thought they were looking for Job's wife's name, not for what DW  stood for.  

Her name is never given in the Bible. (Ditto for Noah's wife and assorted other women.)

• Love 6
On 10/8/2018 at 6:56 PM, YoureSoUrban said:

No TS for me today and for FJ I instantly thought Moses but changed my mind to Solomon at the last minute because I got hung up on lawgiver=judge. Ugh.

I got Moses, but I did not believe it was right for one second - until they said I was right. :)

On 10/8/2018 at 7:36 PM, biakbiak said:

I didn’t really like Adam but did appreciate his head shake and grimace when he said “Oliver North” and his Vote! In FJ.

Made us laugh.

On 10/8/2018 at 8:51 PM, DrScottie said:

I saw Sting in concert about 13 years ago. He opened with "Message in a Bottle." Hearing it live, it still sounded like "I'll send an S.O.S. to a squirrel."

Almost had a spit take there. I love misheard lyrics, and this is maybe the funniest one I've encountered in a while. (love that song)

13 hours ago, illdoc said:

But..but...he didn't do his "Churchill" impersonation for FJ!!! 

I wish he had - then I'd have gotten it. Of course that would depend on whether or not the impression sounded like Churchill instead of a mumbly generic British old man.

9 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got redwood, Mary Leakey (no one ever seems to know her ?), and dear wife.

I always remember Mary Leakey - I couldn't tell you her husband's  or son's names. :)

• Love 4
10 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I get Gwen Stefani and Christina Aguilera confused so I said Christina and I've never heard tell of that Shawn Mendes kid.

I said Nick Jonas even with the video.

10 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I did too. I don't think Allison Tolman has that same vocal fry though.

Nope. Allison Tolman is the best. :)

• Love 2

My ts's were redwood and dear wife - that one surprised me; I thought it was standard netspeak.

Really had to think hard for FJ but I did get to Churchill with maybe just enough time to write it down.

• Love 3

Years ago, Oliver North was interviewed on the radio. When it was time for a commercial, the host handed North the copy and let him read it. It was for Vermont Teddy Bears. Not exactly the warm fuzzy spokesman they probably prefer.

• Love 3

I got Churchill almost instantly.  The category being "World Leaders" narrowed it down, and I knew that Churchill wrote a lot of books, giving him a lot of opportunities to be nominated for the Literature Prize.  Plus the date, 1953, was just about the time his monumental 6-volume history of World War II was finishing up.

It helps that I've read many of Churchill's books, and do a Churchill impersonation that is almost as bad as Trebek's! :-)

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I was "coin-flipping" between Margaret Mead and Mary Leakey. Chose wrong, of course.

Me too.  I always say Margaret Mead and it turns out to be Mary Leakey.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Same here. A Churchill impersonation would have been helpful, but then the clue didn't include a Churchill quote. My mind went to Eastern Europe and Milan Kundera, although the date of 1953 was way off.

I got redwood, Leroy Nieman Marcus, and Dear Wife. I knew the last name of Leakey, but said "Jane Leakey" by mistake, confusing her with Jane Goodall. Shoulda stuck with last name only.

I didn't have a clue on FJ.

I did get the others, including Mary Leakey.

14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't get FJ. I threw a dart at the board and said Gandhi.

That's who I said, too.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:
13 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I get Gwen Stefani and Christina Aguilera confused so I said Christina and I've never heard tell of that Shawn Mendes kid.

I said Nick Jonas even with the video.

Me too.

31 minutes ago, Trey said:

Me too.  I always say Margaret Mead and it turns out to be Mary Leakey.

If it helps, Margaret Mead wrote about primitive sexual practices (as they were considered at the time), and Mary Leakey dug up bones.  But that reminds me of my "Sinclair Lewis/Upton Sinclair" confusion.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, illdoc said:

But..but...he didn't do his "Churchill" impersonation for FJ!!! 

If he had, maybe I could have answered it.

All I got was Leroy Neiman Marcus. I thought the redwood clue was worded weirdly, which is why Alex (and I) answered Sierra Nevada.

Every day this show proves I'm getting dumber and more stoopid.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I've never heard tell of that Shawn Mendes kid.

Then I hope you watched The American Music Awards last night since Shawn performed. And to bring up an old name from way back on this thread, so did CardiB.

2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

It helps that I've read many of Churchill's books, and do a Churchill impersonation that is almost as bad as Trebek's! :-)

The show needed to have you do a video clue for FJ. You know, like they did with Pink, Gwen and Shawn. Let's get on that!

• Love 2

A few of us were chatting and someone said “Good for you.” I said “Drink”. I got some side eye and just told them it was an inside joke. They aren’t Jeopardy watchers and wouldn’t understand an explanation. I’m still inner laughing about it. 

• Love 21
4 hours ago, Trey said:

My ts's were redwood and dear wife - that one surprised me; I thought it was standard netspeak.

I know it, but it just didn't register at the time. I myself have used DH. And I think that dear, dearest, or darling would all have been accepted.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

If it helps, Margaret Mead wrote about primitive sexual practices (as they were considered at the time), and Mary Leakey dug up bones.  But that reminds me of my "Sinclair Lewis/Upton Sinclair" confusion.

Yes, and my Inca/Aztec/Mayan confusion.

Ever since I came up with Not Sufficient Funds to remember the west-to-east order of Norway, Sweden, and Finland, whenever I do see that phrase or "NSF" I picture those countries.

11 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

A few of us were chatting and someone said “Good for you.” I said “Drink”. I got some side eye and just told them it was an inside joke. They aren’t Jeopardy watchers and wouldn’t understand an explanation. I’m still inner laughing about it.

Once when I said "Boo hiss" to my sister, she corrected me with "Hiss boo." ... And now I'm confused as to which way Alex says it.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Ever since I came up with Not Sufficient Funds to remember the west-to-east order of Norway, Sweden, and Finland, whenever I do see that phrase or "NSF" I picture those countries.

Hopefully, you do not see NSF often.

9 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Once when I said "Boo hiss" to my sister, she corrected me with "Hiss boo." ... And now I'm confused as to which way Alex says it.

The J way is boo hiss. You sister is obviously confusing hiss boo with siss-boom-bah.

24 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

As are many of us here. Good (for you) one!

4 hours ago, Trey said:

I've never seen DW since I don't have one nor do any acquaintances. SO, however, is used frequently in my circle of friends. Of course, THAT can't be a clue.

• Love 5

Hi everybody!

My BF and I have a ritual of watching Jeopardy! every night it's on, it's our little geeky bonding time. I'd not gotten into it before because it's hard to regularly answer as fast or faster than the contestants. So it felt like a spectator sport -- fascinating, but not participatory. But with Tivo, we pause and see if we can puzzle it out on our own first. I realize that's not cricket, but it's more fun this way and it challenges us to dig into our memory banks. Between the two of plus a few extra seconds we get (or at least guess) a whole lot of them. And we're getting faster!

Oh, and really glad to see that GFY is a drinking game. He sounds so patronizing when he says that. For me that's up there with "young lady". Yeesh.

• Love 17
19 hours ago, Bastet said:

And WTF with “Can I do that?” on the $2500 DD bet, Jen?  Um, yes.  And speak with some confidence, damn.

So much this. I'm increasing irked with woman who play the helpless little-girl ticket, plus I'm getting sensitive about so many woman players appearing as cannon fodder. I would keep track of this, but it would be too depressing. I need a female Brad Rutter.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

So much this. I'm increasing irked with woman who play the helpless little-girl ticket, plus I'm getting sensitive about so many woman players appearing as cannon fodder. I would keep track of this, but it would be too depressing. I need a female Brad Rutter.

Like the woman on tonight?  She was just a little too precious and cutesy (and I'm not even talking about her nails, which were cute), and it didn't hurt my feelings that she crashed and burned.  You can be cute without being cutesy. 

Yet another FJ I completely had no clue for.  Even when Alex gave the hint after revealing the first response, I was lost.  Apparently I need to brush up on mythology along with history and opera and all of the things.

But at least I got Call Of The Wild!  I mean, especially after the champ guessed White Fang, someone should have been able to guess the right book!  That TS really surprised me.  I always thought COTW was Jack London's best-known work.  I also got the missed DD of airbus.  I was a little distracted during the first round, so I have no idea if there even were any TS.

• Love 7

I cannot believe Trebek has ever read any Vonnegut, and I have to agree completely with Alex that the author's works ARE humorous. No, not knee-slapping gaw-faw hilarious but sly, clever, witty and oh, so smart. Kilgore Trout is my favorite literary character. I still think about him crossing the creek flowing with chemicals from the factory dumping into it, and coming out the other side with his legs and feet encased in plastic (Breakfast of Champions). I also own Venus on the Half Shell, and ever since that's what I call the Botticelli painting.

I know, I know, Vonnegut did not write VotHS, but my man Kilgore Trout (*cough*) did.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

But at least I got Call Of The Wild!  I mean, especially after the champ guessed White Fang, someone should have been able to guess the right book!

I laughed at myself because my brain came up with Old Yeller. Talk about being off base.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, snarktini said:

My BF and I have a ritual of watching Jeopardy! every night it's on, it's our little geeky bonding time. I'd not gotten into it before because it's hard to regularly answer as fast or faster than the contestants. So it felt like a spectator sport -- fascinating, but not participatory. But with Tivo, we pause and see if we can puzzle it out on our own first. I realize that's not cricket, but it's more fun this way and it challenges us to dig into our memory banks. Between the two of plus a few extra seconds we get (or at least guess) a whole lot of them. And we're getting faster!

Good for you! But seriously, I bet soon you'll graduate to getting the answers right without pausing.

Tonight the only TS I got was AT&T. I also got FJ right away and then thought I must be wrong.

I like Alex (the contestant). 

• Love 6

Somehow, despite all the warnings, I remained convinced I could find a DMV office that had an appointment available within the next two weeks if I cast a really wide net, but I spent the entire episode checking increasingly-distant offices with no luck (so, yay, now I get to waste an entire day in line).  So I only paid partial attention, and checked the archive to fill in the blanks.

As per usual with most religion/mythology clues, I had not even a guess for FJ.  (I did know Book of Mormon, though, heh.)

While nowhere near as bad, I'm still pretty bad with composers, so I was surprised to run that category; they must have been very easy clues (Vivaldi certainly was; that's Teen Tournament level).  I had a good game overall; I ran quite a few categories, and didn't miss more than one or two in most of the rest.

I'm surprised hometown was so hard for the contestants to get to.  [In the] pipeline being a TS also surprised me.  (Maybe because, looking at the archive, the clue said "'in' this word"?  So they thought "in X" phrases rather than "in the X" phrases.)  Same with Call of the Wild.  Horses as a TS was a bit surprising, but not as much - I think of that one as one where at least one would figure that was the answer (as I did), but not want to guess, not knowing for sure.  The Airbus DD being missed is what really surprised me.  How does anyone who travels by air not know the A in an aircraft designation means Airbus?!  I didn't even need the part of the clue hinting at bus.  This was a case when I liked Alex's snark, when he told her she may well have flown on one to get there.  Thinking on it, though, I don't think I'm right to be that surprised; I doubt most people pay as much attention to what aircraft they're flying on as I do (I check schedule, cost, and aircraft in picking a flight -- and I avoid Airbus [too automated] if I can).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I laughed at myself because my brain came up with Old Yeller. Talk about being off base.

I said Balto, lol, even though I knew it was wrong, and I should have known Call of the Wild.

I wasn't paying close attention to the game tonight, but I did manage to get FJ. 

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The Airbus DD being missed is what really surprised me.  How does anyone who travels by air not know the A in an aircraft designation means Airbus?! 

I buy the ticket (or my company does), the jetway goes out and sticks onto the side of the aircraft, door opens, I get on the plane and find my seat. I wouldn't know an airbus from a 747. Go figure it would be a Jeopardy category.

I was hoping the M & Emmys category would be about Marshall Bruce Mathers III.

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I buy the ticket (or my company does), the jetway goes out and sticks onto the side of the aircraft, door opens, I get on the plane and find my seat. I wouldn't know an airbus from a 747.

That's why I said I shouldn't have been so surprised - that a lot of people likely travel just that way.  There can be a good deal of difference between size of seat, legroom, amenities, etc. between aircraft on the same route, and I only fly first class, so when I'm shelling out for a ticket (or even if my company is), I want the best possible plane that fits my schedule.  Plus, as I said, I don't like the negative consequences of the degree of automation on Airbus planes.  So I pay attention to what I'd be flying on if I picked flight A vs B vs C to get from City 1 to City 2 on X date.  But many people don't.

But I think if that had been a regular clue, rather than a DD, it wouldn't have been a TS -- asked for a commercial aircraft manufacturer, pretty much anyone could come up with Airbus and Boeing, if no others, and with A in there (plus the "terrestrial" part of the clue), well, someone should come up with Airbus. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

I remembered the Trials of Hercules, so I got FJ. 

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

But at least I got Call Of The Wild!  I mean, especially after the champ guessed White Fang, someone should have been able to guess the right book!  That TS really surprised me. 

Why wouldn't you at least guess it? How many other Jack London options would Jeopardy! include? 

• Love 5

I really like contestant Alex. His being a comedian scared me for a moment, but he has a nice personality & seems very smart. He also dresses nicely. Adam was getting on my nerves with his DD hunting, swaying, and buzzer flourishes, so I am glad he was a one & done. I almost always root for my fellow Jen(nifer)s (drum stick Jennifer was an exception) so as much as I like Alex I started out rooting for Jen the other night. But between the vocal fry & not knowing if she could bet $2,500 when she uncovered the DD, back to Alex I went. 

Mary was too cutesy for me. When Chris was being interviewed, her hair flipped into the frame.

TS I got Wednesday were AT&T, pipeline, Call of the Wild. 

On 10/9/2018 at 6:10 PM, Bastet said:

I was watching football last night, so I just checked the archive for the clues. 

Awesome game!! Drew Brees GOAT! 

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I was hoping the M & Emmys category would be about Marshall Bruce Mathers III.

It made me want M&M's 

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Browncoat said:

But at least I got Call Of The Wild!  I mean, especially after the champ guessed White Fang, someone should have been able to guess the right book!  That TS really surprised me.  I always thought COTW was Jack London's best-known work. 

I just finished listening to Call of the WIld on audio book two days ago, so naturally it was easy.  But I realized two things when I did so--this is NOT a kids book (I read it a couple times as a kid, but I read White Fang over and over--loved it!), and the two books are basically mirrors of each other.  I've been thinking about the inversion of theme and plot between the two stories a lot the last few days, and it was weird to see it on Jeopardy! right while I've been thinking about it.

• Love 4

I said White Heat instead of White Fang, then pictured a wolf howling “Top of the world, Ma!!” and lost it.

I did come up with AT&T and the Main River, as well as FJ, because of the Trials of Hercules.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm surprised hometown was so hard for the contestants to get to.

I know, right? It seemed like they came up with random word combos.

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

That's why I said I shouldn't have been so surprised - that a lot of people likely travel just that way.  There can be a good deal of difference between size of seat, legroom, amenities, etc. between aircraft on the same route, and I only fly first class, so when I'm shelling out for a ticket (or even if my company is), I want the best possible plane that fits my schedule.  Plus, as I said, I don't like the negative consequences of the degree of automation on Airbus planes.  So I pay attention to what I'd be flying on if I picked flight A vs B vs C to get from City 1 to City 2 on X date.  But many people don't.

But I think if that had been a regular clue, rather than a DD, it wouldn't have been a TS -- asked for a commercial aircraft manufacturer, pretty much anyone could come up with Airbus and Boeing, if no others, and with A in there (plus the "terrestrial" part of the clue), well, someone should come up with Airbus. 

I wouldn't know one plane from another except for how many seats are in a row - and that's because I have to pick my seat. But then back in coach, where I always fly,  it doesn't make that much difference. Fortunately, I'm very short, so legroom isn't an issue. Putting my bag in the overhead bin, however, can be a struggle.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3

When White Fang comes up, does anyone besides me think of Black Tooth? Soupy Sales, anyone?

My only ts was horses. Got FJ because "service" led to "labours" of Hercules.  I couldn't remember how many there were but that didn't matter.  Probably got it more because of Agatha Christie's short story collection Labours of Hercules than because of any knowledge of mythology.

Woman in the middle really annoyed; I liked the guy on the far end but just as pleased that Alex won again.

Edited by Trey
missing apostrophe
  • Love 7

Another reason they should have gotten the compound word "Hometown" is that all JEOPARDY! contestants are asked to prepare Hometown Howdies, the little localized teasers for their appearances.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to do a mashup of Vivaldi and Valli (Frankie) for The Four Seasons?

• Love 6

I had a pretty good night. I got Call of the Wild, Mine, Airbus and FJ.

I thought the Mary Tyler Moore question was just to easy for an $800 clue.

For a comic, I’m glad that Alex isn’t so over the top that he bugs me. I just wish they’d get another good contestant in there so he would have competition and not a runaway game. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

asked for a commercial aircraft manufacturer, pretty much anyone could come up with Airbus and Boeing, if no others, and with A in there (plus the "terrestrial" part of the clue), well, someone should come up with Airbus. 

Well, when you put it THAT way. Honestly, I didn't know it. My impulsive answer was Aerospace, but that was before Alex finished reading the clue and said "terrestrial." I just couldn't think of any A Earth stuff. A-Ground? Not a good name for a plane. 

10 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

buzzer flourishes

Ooooo. I like that phrase. 

Mary was too cutesy for me. When Chris was being interviewed, her hair flipped into the frame.

I think her hair actually hit Chris at one point. :D

2 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I said White Heat instead of White Fang, then pictured a wolf howling “Top of the world, Ma!!” and lost it.

HA! 

I said White Wolf. 

2 hours ago, Trey said:

When White Fang comes up, does anyone besides me think of Black Tooth? Soupy Sales, anyone?

Sorry, not me, though I did watch and love Soupy Sales when I was little. It was NOT before my time. I'm going to look for a clip to remind me of that gag.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

LOL at this. Wind was blowing here and the antenna kept dropping the program so I missed this, plus I always use that break to do something else away from the tv. It could be worth looking up on YouTube though, so thanks for this. I hate hair-flipping women. (TM The Bachelor)

4 hours ago, Trey said:

My only ts was horses.

Dang, a horse answer. Mindthinkr, did you get that one? See above for why I didn't even hear that clue/non-answer. Dang wind.

5 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I've been thinking about the inversion of theme and plot between the two stories a lot the last few days, and it was weird to see it on Jeopardy! right while I've been thinking about it.

I admire your brain power. How about thinking about subjects I'm good at on Jeopardy. I can give you a list if you take requests.  :-))

12 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

It made me want M&M's 

I had some coffee M&Ms this weekend. Tres delicious!

ETA: "Buzzer flourishes" -- TM Toothbrush

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

What was the clue? I like tractors too, just like horses more.

I forgot the clue but when cutesy girl answered oxen (wrongly), I thought oops. This was before the time of tractors...or so my logic went. 

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

What was the clue? I like tractors too, just like horses more.

In the Big Farmer category, "Around 1900, strongman Louis Cyr held 2 of these pulling in opposite directions; one later came to work on his farm."

I had never heard of Cyr, but horses seemed like the logical answer, so that's what I guessed.  I was a bit surprised none of the contestants did, especially since it was only the $400 clue.  (Mary guessed ox, and nobody else rang in.)

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

In the Big Farmer category, "Around 1900, strongman Louis Cyr held 2 of these pulling in opposite directions; one later came to work on his farm."

I had never heard of Cyr, but horses seemed like the logical answer, so that's what I guessed.  I was a bit surprised none of the contestants did, especially since it was only the $400 clue.  (Mary guessed ox, and nobody else rang in.)

Thank you. 

Now I know what category to hope for, if I'm ever playing a game against any of you guys!  I love mythology; it's one of my wheelhouses.

So I got Hercules pretty quickly--only I said "Heracles," 'cause I'm pretentious like that! :-)

• Love 12

The horse clue being discussed reminds me of something I forgot to mention last night:  "Big Farmer" as the follow-up to "Big Pharma" amused me when the categories were read, and then once the clues were revealed and I realized they all really were about big farmers -- individuals who are tall and/or of substantial girth -- not factory farms, I was even more tickled. 

• Love 9