Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I have a vague memory of AT "helping" one of those lady contestants he sometimes gets a crush on.

I'm very glad Douche is gone. I can see why he's tragically single. Showboat.  I think there's a possibility Alex is getting bored and he's gravitating to these flamboyant contestants, not realizing WHY the audience watches the show.

I was thinking that, too. After all these years, I think Alex likes to see contestants with a fair amount of personality. Especially since I would say that many people who become Jeopardy contestants tend to be rather serious people. And even if you are fun-loving in your private life, the stress of being on the show would make anyone nervous. Throughout the show, you could see Alex changing his allegiance from Alex to Sara. He started out really liking Alex - a good player with a big personality - giving him more chances to answer than he really should. Then as the game went on, Sara proved herself to be a force and also to have the other characteristic that Alex tends to like in contestants, namely that she's a gutsy bettor. I like to see that, too. They don't always have to do a "true daily double," but I like to see people have the courage of their convictions.

For TS's, I got Homeland, Raymond Chandler, and brains. I was sad to see Chandler go down as a TS. It's true, people don't know the classics any more. I did get FJ, after briefly considering honey as a possibility for "liquid gold" but I couldn't see how that was especially Mediterranean, or how you could fake it. I also thought of maple syrup, which has been the subject of criminal enterprises, but I was pretty sure that folks like Homer and Marco Polo never heard of it. LOL I got to olive oil in plenty of time.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 5
On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 8:43 PM, CarpeDiem54 said:

got decoy, The Walking Dead, The Thing, veneer, and bundling.

I got all of those, plus knew that Calvin was from Geneva.  (I blame that on a terrible college class on the Reformation.)

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Brady Bunch thing wasn't in an interview or intro; it was the answer to one of the Kids clues last night (where you identified the TV show based on the list of [some of] its kid characters), and he said, "What is" normally but then sang the "The Brady Bunch" portion of his answer.  Only he did it in a way that only vaguely approximated the actual melody of the theme song, so the audience had absolutely no reaction, which made me laugh.

I found that amusing too.

1 hour ago, Kathira said:

For TS's, I got Homeland, Raymond Chandler, and brains. I was sad to see Chandler go down as a TS. It's true, people don't know the classics any more.

I was just happy I picked the right one - it's always either Chandler or Hammett. I've never really read either of them - not my favorite flavor of fiction or classics.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, helpmerhonda said:

I thought the same thing. 

I honestly thought Daley and Wilder could have used a BMS as well. But definitely Marshall.

Consistency on BMS is not a strong point on Jeopardy.

14 hours ago, helpmerhonda said:

I honestly thought Daley and Wilder could have used a BMS as well. But definitely Marshall.

I didn't think Marshall or Wilder needed a BMS, but Daley did since there's been more than one mayor of Chicago named Daley.  Kind of like "Roosevelt", "Adams" or "Johnson" as the answer to a presidential clue.

13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

ETA: I also got TS Juicy Couture. How funny is that? Plus wasn't "juicy" part of the clue?

The "juicy" part in the clue actually made me discount Juicy Couture - it seemed too obvious somehow.

13 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Agreed. It's also pretty sad to provide photos of Humphrey and Wallace in a category specifically about the 1968 election.

I got the Homeland and Raymond Chandler TS. Had no clue on FJ; I can't believe I've never heard of olive oil referred to as that!

I'll confess that I wouldn't have known Humphrey without the picture.  I get him and McGovern confused, as far as what year they ran.

I did get both of those right, though, and the Homeland & Chandler answers.

11 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Instead of Brains (for the Steve Martin movie), I mistakenly said Heads.

Me too!

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I didn't think Marshall or Wilder needed a BMS, but Daley did since there's been more than one mayor of Chicago named Daley.  Kind of like "Roosevelt", "Adams" or "Johnson" as the answer to a presidential clue

I missed the clue, but there were two Marshalls on the Supreme Court, John Marshall in the early 1800s and Thurgood Marshall in the 1960s through 90s.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

The vent one, however, was not.

That is a noun and they were asking for an action so I said ventilation. Venting was lame. AT cut him two breaks last night but only said BMS once. I think he said something like ‘more information’ the other time. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I missed the clue, but there were two Marshalls on the Supreme Court, John Marshall in the early 1800s and Thurgood Marshall in the 1960s through 90s.

You're right.  D'oh!

2 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

That is a noun and they were asking for an action so I said ventilation. Venting was lame. AT cut him two breaks last night but only said BMS once. I think he said something like ‘more information’ the other time. 

I said ventilation as well.  Alex practically re-read the clue to Doug.  That seemed way out of line to me.

• Love 5

The "juicy" part in the clue actually made me discount Juicy Couture - it seemed too obvious somehow.

I was so disgusted with myself by that time, I half-heartedly said, "Wrigley." Sometimes, I think I'm watching Hollywood Squares, where you get to have a joke answer first.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I'll confess that I wouldn't have known Humphrey without the picture.  I get him and McGovern confused, as far as what year they ran.

I remember that Humphrey was earlier because while he was was vice president, Tom Lehrer wrote a song about him: "Whatever Became of Hubert?"

Edited by Driad
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Goodness: Doug thinks "Jeopardy" is a Dating reality show :)  Hopefully someone found him interesting.  Meanwhile, yes, the FJ was instaget….Sarah was a good player....I liked that she bet big.

Normally, I find guys like him "adorkable" and I'm very attracted (Thomas Middleditch, Steve Carell, Chris Hardwick, et al).  Doug, erm... not so much.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Consistency on BMS is not a strong point on Jeopardy.

I didn't think Marshall or Wilder needed a BMS, but Daley did since there's been more than one mayor of Chicago named Daley.  Kind of like "Roosevelt", "Adams" or "Johnson" as the answer to a presidential clue.

Indeed, consistency is not Jeopardy's strong suit.

I agree about Daley totally, but I guess you could make a case that they were showing a picture so it could only have been one Daley (?) I don't know. Mr. C and I wracked our brains and came up with the correct Daley, but it apparently didn't matter. Boo hiss.

I didn't think of Juicy Couture, but I think subconsciously that was the reason (or so I tell myself). It would have worked well in that Stupid Answer category though.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, Moose135 said:

A satellite dish is an antenna, a specialized type of parabolic antenna.

That would have been rockin' if Doug had answered "parabolic antenna" when asked to BMS.

13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I have a vague memory of AT "helping" one of those lady contestants he sometimes gets a crush on.

More than one. WAY more than one.

5 hours ago, Kathira said:

After all these years, I think Alex likes to see contestants with a fair amount of personality.

It gives the show water cooler talk plus, more importantly, show clips are shown on national and local news, posted online, in newspapers ... you know, it goes VIRAL (no TM to Doug on that). No publicity is bad publicity. Dedicated watchers love College Bowl-type shows but today everyone wants to see (fake) reality-show type stuff. Being smart is no longer enough by today's standard. That proposal is on the home page at jeopardy.com. It won't die.

2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I like the little smile Sara gives when she gets an answer right. 

You should ask Daryl Hall and John Oates to write a song about that.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

but Daley did since there's been more than one mayor of Chicago named Daley

Many years ago, there was also a "Mayor Daley" clue. Contestant said "Daley", Alex "BMS" Contestant said "Richard", everyone laughed and Alex said "OK". For those who don't know both Mayor Daleys  are "Richard"--Richard J. (the father) and Richard M. (the son) (William (Richard M's brother) is the one currently in the race). So unless we want Contestant: "Who is Daley?" Alex: "BMS" Contestant: "Richard" Alex: "BMS" trying to force the contestant to come up with the initial, you have to let it go at "Who is Daley" without a BMS.

• Love 4
On 2018-10-04 at 10:53 AM, peeayebee said:

Another clue I need to look at again is FJ. So many of you are citing "lakeside" as leading you to Geneva, but since lots of cities are by lakes how does that narrow it down?

For me, it's not that I was trying to think of a lakeside city, it's that the clue writer chose to put the word "lake" in the clue. It was a hint. So I thought city on a famous lake with the same name. It worked!

• Love 4

I am so incredibly glad that Doug lost last night -- he surely would have sung every response in the Disney Songs category in the first round.  And probably sung them as badly as he did the Brady Bunch song.

Was rooting for Sara to win again.  Adam annoyed me with the board jumping/not starting at the top, leaning, and swaying.  He's a triple threat! 

I can honestly say I have never heard it called the Cossac whatever-it-was (though of course I've heard of D-Day -- in fact, that's my birthday, and my brother (who wanted a brother instead of a sister), never let me forget the name), so I was, once again, clueless for FJ.  And I only got one TS -- wrestling.  Not the best night for me.

• Love 7

Last night's joy was short lived.  Another day, another annoying champ flailing the buzzer and randomly picking clues in the middle for no good reason.  Plus, he should have not gotten credit for Blue Danube.  It's The Blue Danube Waltz.  Putz.

I got no TS and was a slack-jawed moron for FJ.  I've never heard of D Day being called the Cossack Plan.  The Russians planned it?  

• Love 8

I’m laughing at all you Doug haters. Welcome to Adam, the bobbing, weaving, swaying, buzzer flailing board jumper. You got what you wished for, Doug gone. Doug dressed well, chose clues with decorum, stood still and upright, never revealed his buzzer hand. I hope Adam stays for a month or more. Doug haters deserve him for that long or longer. Team Adam Forever!

I wasn’t paying much attention but got the TS of wrestling. Risqué, those guys wrestling naked. FJ was an instaget for me, which is pretty shocking in itself. That I answered a FJ I mean. This is my best week yet!

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I've never heard of D Day being called the Cossack Plan.  The Russians planned it?  

From TheJeopardyFan.com: Also known as Operation Overlord, D-Day was the 1944 invasion of Normandy during World War II, the successful invasion was a turning point in the Western Front of the war and the eventual defeat of Nazi Germany. COSSAC literally stands for “Chief Of Staff to Supreme Allied Commander”, and referred to British Lieutenant-General Frederick E. Morgan.

The US Army has declassified the plan; it can be found on the US Army’s website.

• Love 6

I loathe Adam. Don't wink at me, ass!

I got wrestling.

FJ was an instaget.  My only positive from this horrific week of douchebags is that I was 4/5 in FJ.

Seriously, middle lady.  You couldn't think of anything for FJ?

I loathe Adam.

• Love 7
20 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

THEN I remembered the Monkees' "Head."

I'm so psyched to see someone mention one of my favorite movies!

Poor Sara; I thought she'd be around for a while but Adam was a beast. I'm glad it wasn't a total runaway though because yawn. While I'm not a fan of starting in the middle of categories, Adam is relatively pleasant and not clowning for attention. I'd take him over Doug any day of the week.

FJ was an instaguess because it's the only European WW2 battle I know.

I guess I'm just going to have to get used to Jeopardy! posting photos of super famous people like Ella Fitzgerald. Sigh.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

While I'm not a fan of starting in the middle of categories, Adam is relatively pleasant and not clowning for attention. I'd take him over Doug any day of the week.

Not clowning, but he likely thought those weird bets would get some attention -- $100 on a DD, $206 on FJ and didn't he also bet $1 on a DD?  I had a nap after the show and naps always leave me forgetful.

I didn't care for the woman in the middle either.  She reminded me of Mallory Archer, except that she lacked Mallory's energy.

• Love 1

It’s like they’re just trying to piss me off with the pictures of famous people.

I missed the first several minutes of the first round, and Wednesday's bad mood had absolutely nothing on today's, so I wasn't expecting to perform very well but I had a decent game.  I'd have bet zero in FJ based on the category, as I have no interest in military history (or military anything, really), but I guessed it instantly. 

Wrestling as a TS was my surprise for the night; what other sport would they bother to highlight in an "even this was done naked, tee hee" clue?

• Love 5

Sounds like a lot of us only got wrestling. 

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

From TheJeopardyFan.com: Also known as Operation Overlord, D-Day was the 1944 invasion of Normandy during World War II, the successful invasion was a turning point in the Western Front of the war and the eventual defeat of Nazi Germany. COSSAC literally stands for “Chief Of Staff to Supreme Allied Commander”, and referred to British Lieutenant-General Frederick E. Morgan.

Thanks! Did anyone here pick out COSSAC from the initials in the clue? Anyway, I didn't have a guess for FJ. I was thinking along the lines of the Russians marching into Germany.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I can honestly say I have never heard it called the Cossac whatever-it-was (though of course I've heard of D-Day -- in fact, that's my birthday, and my brother (who wanted a brother instead of a sister), never let me forget the name), so I was, once again, clueless for FJ.  And I only got one TS -- wrestling.  Not the best night for me.

I started out trying to parse the COSSAC acronym,  -  but got stuck on SAC because from my young days as a military brat SAC meant Strategic Air Command. Finally I saw "Supreme Allied Commander" and connected it with WWII and D-Day.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Fancy acronym that just stands for From: so and so To: big boss. LOL.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

Not clowning, but he likely thought those weird bets would get some attention -- $100 on a DD, $206 on FJ and didn't he also bet $1 on a DD?  I had a nap after the show and naps always leave me forgetful.

I didn't care for the woman in the middle either.  She reminded me of Mallory Archer, except that she lacked Mallory's energy.

He bet $5000 on the legal DD (as a lawyer he was probably quite confident) and then $100 when he got a DD it seemed he didn't really want and had a huge lead that he probably didn't want to blow.

I wasn't paying enough attention for the FJ wagers, but his DD wagers seemed logical to me.

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Fancy acronym that just stands for From: so and so To: big boss. LOL.

The government/military love acronyms. I can vouch for this as a former federal employee at a military installation. I had a brother in SAC!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Fex said:

For me, it's not that I was trying to think of a lakeside city, it's that the clue writer chose to put the word "lake" in the clue. It was a hint. So I thought city on a famous lake with the same name. It worked!

Exactly my thinking.  So I said Lucerne. 

• Love 5

Was anyone else surprised that "Dreyfus" was accepted for Julia Louis-Dreyfus? Her last name is both names hyphenated (hey, does that make her a hyphenate?) Seems like it should have gotten a BMS at least. Sad that Sarah is gone already, I liked her.

• Love 12

I was really quite annoyed at the Clownfish clue saying that they change genders. It's like pet adoptions sites saying gender. Biological stuff versus social constructs. It shouldn't be this hard. Sex isn't a dirty word. Soapbox rant done.

I was hung up thinking about cossacks and couldn't come up with anything for FJ.

• Love 5

Adam is the sort of player that makes me long for players like Doug. I prefer "gee, aren't I quirky? But I'm damn good at Jeopardy" to the players who...okay, I have an analogy that might work. I did a Spartan race that had a big muddy section, and as I was purposely walking through it in my trail shoes making sure to keep a decent speed while not falling on my ass, there was this guy who went barreling past me with old tennis shoes on that had no tread, so he was SPRINTING and sliding in the mud on every single step, always looking like he was millimeters away from death and dismemberment. He didn't actually fall down when I was watching him, but his "success" seemed entirely accidental, like he was staying upright DESPITE himself. That's how Adam played Jeopardy yesterday.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Thanks! Did anyone here pick out COSSAC from the initials in the clue? Anyway, I didn't have a guess for FJ. I was thinking along the lines of the Russians marching into Germany.

That's what I was thinking too, like the Allies trying to beat Russia to Berlin.  I have only ever heard of D-Day as being called Operation Overlord. 

I know I got the ts of wrestling but can't remember any others - I usually write them down but didn't bother last night.

I honestly can't say I noticed Adam's behaviour.  I was hoping Sara would win again.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The government/military love acronyms. I can vouch for this as a former federal employee at a military installation. I had a brother in SAC!

I currently work in municipal goverment, and am always trying to get them to at least spell the crap out for the public. Drives me nuts. Our big guy is so acronym happy, he named a team with an acronym that, in daily life, stands for something entirely different (thankfully not offensive), so it always takes a second to remember what they're talking about.

7 hours ago, Pallida said:

I was really quite annoyed at the Clownfish clue saying that they change genders. It's like pet adoptions sites saying gender. Biological stuff versus social constructs. It shouldn't be this hard. Sex isn't a dirty word. Soapbox rant done.

I've been using the word gender for at least 30 years, not because sex is a dirty word (it is not), but because I find it has more clarity and less subject to immature people getting all giggly about it (like old joke about forms - when people answer the question "sex" with yes). Language evolves and definitions change.

9 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

Was anyone else surprised that "Dreyfus" was accepted for Julia Louis-Dreyfus? Her last name is both names hyphenated (hey, does that make her a hyphenate?) Seems like it should have gotten a BMS at least. Sad that Sarah is gone already, I liked her.

I didn't think about it - but you're right. As I recall this was a TV or Emmy category, and Richard Dreyfuss would certainly be a contender for it.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Plus, he should have not gotten credit for Blue Danube.  It's The Blue Danube Waltz.  Putz.

Actually, Strauss titled it (in German, though) "On the Beautiful Blue Danube" and it just happened to be a waltz. With the human tendency to shorten things, in English it became "The Blue Danube Waltz." But "waltz" was never meant to be in it's name. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_Danube

Totally agree on the "putz" part of your post.  Even if the dude IS from Atlanta.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

Yes, should have asked for more.

There was one the other night too where the answer was Mahatma Ghandi, the contestant just said Ghandi.  Now generally I would let that slide since most who say Ghandi mean him, not even of the others, but there have been several famous and significant people with the last name Ghandi, just like in the US there have been several Kennedys.  They asked for a BMS for John Kennedy, and it even was clear they were asking for a president, so its implied it was JFK.  But if Kennedy gets a BMS, they should ask for it as well with Ghandi. 

The new champ may have been annoying, but he played great, except for the weird bets.  Will see if he holds up or was just some good categories for him. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Yes, should have asked for more.

There was one the other night too where the answer was Mahatma Ghandi, the contestant just said Ghandi.  Now generally I would let that slide since most who say Ghandi mean him, not even of the others, but there have been several famous and significant people with the last name Ghandi, just like in the US there have been several Kennedys.  They asked for a BMS for John Kennedy, and it even was clear they were asking for a president, so its implied it was JFK.  But if Kennedy gets a BMS, they should ask for it as well with Ghandi. 

The new champ may have been annoying, but he played great, except for the weird bets.  Will see if he holds up or was just some good categories for him. 

Yes, he did play great and seems like a good guy...unlike everyone else, I don't find him annoying and mostly, he ran off that boring Julia Collins type, Sara...(apologies to their many fans)

5 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

He didn't actually fall down when I was watching him, but his "success" seemed entirely accidental, like he was staying upright DESPITE himself. That's how Adam played Jeopardy yesterday.

I love your post and the analogy. I will watch Adam with different eyes Monday. Maybe he will fall down! That would rock. AND go viral. (TM Doug)

13 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

Was anyone else surprised that "Dreyfus" was accepted for Julia Louis-Dreyfus? Her last name is both names hyphenated (hey, does that make her a hyphenate?) Seems like it should have gotten a BMS at least.

Yes. The player (was it Adam?) was hard pressed to come up with any name after he won the buzz-in, then pulled Dreyfus out at the last second. I think he would have blanked if asked BMS. I've never heard her called just Dreyfus before, on anything anywhere, it's always Louis-Dreyfus if not her full name. And yes, right away I thought of Richard Dreyfuss. The clue did stipulate a woman though. But then there's always Tootsie if one wants to throw gender (or sex!) into the mix.

1 hour ago, Kerri Okie said:

I only got wrestling, too.  The other ones were: quadruple bogie, mir, Spanish-American War, and Simon Bolivar.

I think most of us forgot there WERE other TSs besides wrestling (and yes, we got it because of the wink-wink nudge-nudgeness of the clue) so thanks for listing these. I remember listening to how Trebek pronounced Simon Bolivar. There is a city named Bolivar in Missouri; it's pronounced BAH-lah-ver.

About the Wilder clue/answer from the other day: Do you think they would have accepted Laura Ingalls as the answer? That was my reply given that I'm currently watching S1 of Little House where Laura is about 10 years old.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Kerri Okie said:

I only got wrestling, too.  The other ones were: quadruple bogie, mir, Spanish-American War, and Simon Bolivar.

I got Bolivar and quadruple bogie (and wrestling).  I didn't know quadruple bogie, I guessed it based on Sara's wrong answer of double bogie.  I know shit about golf, so my real answer was "something with four" based on the math, so when Sara seemed to know what she was talking about with bogie, yet it was wrong, I figured it was just the "double" part and guessed "quadruple bogie" because of four.  Now, I would never have potentially embarrassed myself by guessing that in a game, but that's what I did at home.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

And yes, right away I thought of Richard Dreyfuss. The clue did stipulate a woman though.

The clue also stipulated Seinfeld cast member, so they should have accepted just about anything, including Elaine, because that clue was so ridiculously easy (she's the only female star of that show, so once you give away Seinfeld and she/her, you might as well put up a picture and just be done with it) they deserve whatever they get.  I think Adam was trying to remember how to pronounce her name, and decided to just go with Dreyfus.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5
Just now, Bastet said:

The clue also stipulated Seinfeld cast member, so they should have accepted just about anything, including Elaine, because that clue was so ridiculously easy (she's the only female star of that show, so once you give away Seinfeld and she/her, you might as well put up a picture and just be done with it) they deserve whatever they get.  I think Adam was trying to remember how to pronounce her name, and decided to just go with Dreyfus.

Well, that explains it. I rarely remember the clue precisely unless I had to think (or was angry) about how it was written . And even then, I don't retain much of it.

• Love 1
On 2018-10-04 at 9:56 AM, MrAtoz said:

I was torn about whether I would have said just "The Thing" or "The Thing From Another World."  The original movie had the longer title, while the Kurt Russell remake was simply "The Thing."  I don't remember the exact phrasing as to which movie they wanted.  It's like the twin clue.  It mentioned two different things (no pun intended), and wanted you to somehow figure out which one they were asking about.

Going back a couple days... I just turned on the TV, and guess what is on TCM? "The Thing From Another World" - and I am shocked to find that they are at the North Pole!!! Went back to look at the clue: "After the last plane leaves the South Pole each summer, winter-over crews view this 1951 film & the 1982 remake." So, it is asking for the 1951 film, but doesn't say that the films take place at the South Pole - just the people who watch the movies!

• Love 6