Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

6 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

So who is the Egyptian Sun God, Aton/Aten or my answer of Ra? I was taught Ra in my Egyptology classes. Doing an online search said it is/was/could be both.

Ra was not acceptable because it isn't in "ovation". 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I should've known Appalachian Spring but got hung up on Fanfare for the Common Man, and was trying to relate that to mountains somehow.

Me too!

I got 'Shen Yun' today due to the incessant commercials that would often play during Jeopardy last season.

• Love 6

Congrats to Kyle again.  I figure "good for him" and "good for you" are both drink worthy.  ??

I got bone, meatballs (total guess), and the LBJ missed DD.

I was clueless for FJ.

6 hours ago, ABay said:

Sometimes I feel like the only person in the world who didn't think the cowbell skit was a work of comedic genius. 

Count me in.  In fact, I had to once Google what "more cowbell" meant because I didn't know what it was.  I didn't see the skit on SNL originally because I've always loathed Will Ferrell and must have not watched the episode.  It wasn't even mildly amusing to me. JMO.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
My keyboard is pissing me off!
  • Love 3
55 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I had no idea there was still a print version of TV Guide!

Yup. One major change, besides the obvious that it's not nearly read as much and important as it used to be in its heyday, is that now each issue has two weeks of listings, so it only arrives every other week.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Ra was not acceptable because it isn't in "ovation". 

Oh, thanks Browncoat. I guess being able to spell would have helped. I must have added an "r" to orvation to get "ra." Heh.

29 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I didn't see the skit on SNL originally because I've always loathed Will Ferrell and must have not watched the episode.

I associate Christopher Walken with More Cowbell, which is better than associating Will Ferrell with anything.

23 minutes ago, lb60 said:

0-5

Ending a craptacular week of FJ for me.

Congrats on your streak, IB60. You'll be depressed when you get one and ruin your run. I know this from my experience last season.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6
18 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Congrats on your streak, IB60. You'll be depressed when you get one and ruin your run. I know this from my experience last season.

Thanks. It takes some real talent to be this consistently bad.    

• Love 3
7 hours ago, illdoc said:

I think it mentioned "5 letters"---it's/its doesn't fit.

Thanks. I forgot about that part.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Andrew's son got a "Good for him." Is that half a drink?

Ha! I was wondering about that too!

1 hour ago, secnarf said:

I got 'Shen Yun' today due to the incessant commercials that would often play during Jeopardy last season.

I knew what they were asking for but couldn't remember the name. Chen Fe? Shun Fei? 

I got the DD of Johnson as well as spider crab.

For FJ I took a wild guess at ice skating. I wasn't sure if we were supposed to know who Axel whatever was, but I decided that his name was a nickname because of the jump. I was surprised that the jump was named after him.

• Love 5

Just watched on Youtube because my station prefers f**tb*ll.

Decibel question -- a decibel is 1/10 of a bel, a unit named after Bell. The decibel turned out to be more practical so the bel is seldom used now, but it is a legitimate unit. Unless I missed something in the clue, bel should have been ruled correct. At least they could have asked the contestant to spell it.

• Love 5

At least the sponsored category on this show, TV Guide, lent itself to the show's game play better than some of the ones they've had in the past.  I still have 20-25 TV Guide Fall Preview issues somewhere in the house.  Start collecting them as a kid in the 70s, along with baseball cards, coins, stamps, beer cans, Wacky Packages, Star Wars comics, etc.

4/5 FJs on the season.

Current champ has a great sense of timing on the buzzer.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I associate Christopher Walken with More Cowbell, which is better than associating Will Ferrell with anything.

Thank you. I ONLY associate Christopher Walken with it - never knew it had anything to do with Ferrell.

17 minutes ago, Driad said:

Just watched on Youtube because my station prefers f**tb*ll.

Decibel question -- a decibel is 1/10 of a bel, a unit named after Bell. The decibel turned out to be more practical so the bel is seldom used now, but it is a legitimate unit. Unless I missed something in the clue, bel should have been ruled correct. At least they could have asked the contestant to spell it.

The clue specified a 7 letter word, as I recall. So the three letter word wouldn't have been right.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Andrew's son got a "Good for him." Is that half a drink?

Only if he's legal drinking age - 19 in Ontario. Oh, you mean us? At least half a drink!

I was pulling for Andrew, although I like Kyle well enough; he nearly kept it from being a runaway.

As Browncoat said, there seemed to be fewer TS's than usual.  Maybe the questions are just easier or the contestants smarter. 

I should have figured out the sport was figure skating, with Axel whoever in the clue but I immediately blurted out soccer and never thought about it anymore.

Three out of five Fj's for me this week -better than my usual score.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Trey said:

I should have figured out the sport was figure skating, with Axel whoever in the clue but I immediately blurted out soccer and never thought about it anymore.

To dwell on my ignorance, I never thought of figure-skating people being in a sports hall of fame. So said 'hockey' because Axel sounds more like someone who skates than plays football.

Hey, I was partly correct.

My FJ score is 2-3. I'm comin' for ya lb60.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Driad said:

Decibel question -- a decibel is 1/10 of a bel, a unit named after Bell. The decibel turned out to be more practical so the bel is seldom used now, but it is a legitimate unit.

Thank you for adding another wee nugget of knowledge to my brain cell's storage area Driad. I did not know this background of a word I took "for granted."

• Love 2
1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

Thank you for adding another wee nugget of knowledge to my brain cell's storage area Driad. I did not know this background of a word I took "for granted."

I'm impressed that you still have room in your brain's storage area.  My tiny one filled up eons ago so something now has to be discarded to fit in something new.  Which now that I think about it, may explain why I get questions wrong.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Which now that I think about it, may explain why I get questions wrong.

Hey, since this is a new season, it would be fun for each of us to keep a running total of FJ right vs. wrong answers. Anyone up for that? Only five FJs so far. We can award prizes, like a meal prepared by Mindthnkr. Who, BTW, is notably absent.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Hey, since this is a new season, it would be fun for each of us to keep a running total of FJ right vs. wrong answers. Anyone up for that? Only five FJs so far. We can award prizes, like a meal prepared by Mindthnkr. Who, BTW, is notably absent.

I could try to keep up, but eventually I'll probably get embarrassed and bow out.

Can someone post a reminder of the 5 we've had so far?

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I'm impressed that you still have room in your brain's storage area.

If you mean me, it helps that I do not store information on sports, celebrities, movies, etc. Which explains why you will never see me on Jeopardy.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

We can award prizes.....

Who, BTW, is notably absent.

Looks like I'm firmly in the lead for the Booby Prize.  

Off the top of my head, I don't remember seeing Toothbrush or Mystery Author, since the new season started.  Also, teebax has only popped in maybe one time.  Hmmmm, do I sound like a stalker?  :-/

• Love 2

Here you go Opus, the FJ for the first week of S35:

1. To set a record for longest solo journey by kayak, 2,010 miles, Helen Skelton traveled through this nation for a month.

2. Switching the syllables in the German word for building of a home gave this design & architecture school its name.

3. In 1789 this doctor proposed 6 articles on penal reform to the French Assembly, including one on capital punishment.

4. On Oct. 4, 1940, for the premiere of what’s been called his most famous movie role, Ronald Reagan was in this city.

5. POSTHUMOUSLY, AXEL PAULSEN WAS AMONG THE FIRST GROUP OF INDUCTEES INTO THE WORLD HALL OF FAME FOR THIS IN 1976.

7 minutes ago, lb60 said:

The season is young yet. I expect to overtake you and leave you in my SD*.   

*stupid dust

Edited by saber5055
Because none of the FJ sentences had periods at the end.
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

1. To set a record for longest solo journey by kayak, 2,010 miles, Helen Skelton traveled through this nation for a month.

2. Switching the syllables in the German word for building of a home gave this design & architecture school its name.

3. In 1789 this doctor proposed 6 articles on penal reform to the French Assembly, including one on capital punishment.

4. On Oct. 4, 1940, for the premiere of what’s been called his most famous movie role, Ronald Reagan was in this city.

5. POSTHUMOUSLY, AXEL PAULSEN WAS AMONG THE FIRST GROUP OF INDUCTEES INTO THE WORLD HALL OF FAME FOR THIS IN 1976.

Cool.

Okay, if a Final Jeopardy tote board thread or something like that pops up, put me down at 3 for 5 in week one.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

What was the answer to this?  I ask because the 2,010 miles she kayaked was the length of the Amazon, which traverses Brazil, Columbia, and Peru - not one nation.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Brookside said:

What was the answer to this?  I ask because the 2,010 miles she kayaked was the length of the Amazon, which traverses Brazil, Columbia, and Peru - not one nation.

Answer was Brazil. I guess the clue is it took her a month to get through Brazil. There's always that little nit pick that ruins our answers.

ETA: Hats off to Trey, who beat me to it while I was checking (and correcting!) my spelling.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4

I started a Final Jeopardy Contest thread. To play, all anyone has to do is update their win/lose FJ totals daily or weekly. Two prizes will be awarded at the end of season 35. Yes, real tangible prizes purchased by me and sent to you. More prizes might be awarded as the mood strikes me. I'm going to post FJs weekly so even if you go on vaca or your station wants to play football instead of Jeopardy, you can still keep up with the contest. I posted my first-week score so if the rest of you don't get in the game, I'm winning everything. Don't let that happen!

• Love 6
13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I started a Final Jeopardy Contest thread. To play, all anyone has to do is update their win/lose FJ totals daily or weekly. Two prizes will be awarded at the end of season 35. Yes, real tangible prizes purchased by me and sent to you. More prizes might be awarded as the mood strikes me. I'm going to post FJs weekly so even if you go on vaca or your station wants to play football instead of Jeopardy, you can still keep up with the contest. I posted my first-week score so if the rest of you don't get in the game, I'm winning everything. Don't let that happen!

4/5 for me.  I missed The Gipper.

• Love 2

I'm 2 for 5.  I got bauhaus and Guillotine.

IMHO, Bedtime for Bonzo was Regan's most famous movie, or, the movie most closely associated with him.  He titled his autobiography "Where's The Rest of Me?" after his role in "King's Row" but I didn't think King's Row was a real place.  I wouldn't have come up with South Bend, Indiana if I thought all night.  Of course it doesn't help that my family is anti Notre Dame.

Wild Sow, maybe we have a separate thread to post our scores?  That way you don't have to wade through our foolishness.

Edited to add:  I need to read for comprehension.  Just saw the separate thread.

Edited by PaulaO
  • Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:01 PM, saber5055 said:

If I were ever on this show, I would require a full staff of at least 20 people, then a cart to wheel my body out after taping ended.

I kind of needed that.  I was just sitting in total shock off to the side during FJ thinking WTF just happened (I ended in $0 after double Jeopardy and back then if we weren't around for FJ we disappeared from the stage).

Sometimes I feel like the only person in the world who didn't think the cowbell skit was a work of comedic genius. 

It could have been but I always think Jimmy Fallon ruined it by laughing during the skit.  But I still enjoy everyone else - especially Walken. 

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 4
On 9/15/2018 at 2:15 PM, saber5055 said:

Mindthnkr also posts on the Duggar thread. Walnutqueen posted there that she had been in touch and was okay, but she was worried about her daughter who was in a flooded area.

Sorry for OT.

I like Trebeck’s beard;it humanizes him.

• Love 3

D'oh!  I probably missed FJ because it was Steinbeck.  I despise Steinbeck.  I know, that is a terrible excuse, since I've heard of the book, but, oh, wait!  I know!  It was before my time!  :)

I actually laughed out loud when Kyle got the Colorado state song for his DD.  I also chuckled at Alex's comment about his George Clooney/Sean Connery beard.

And despite missing FJ, I did get dust storm, McMaster, The Supremes, and pika.  I love pikas.  They're adorable.

• Love 6

I wonder if 'abracadabra' would have been accepted for the rhyming magician clue. I thought of hocus pocus first, but then wondered about abracadabra.

I also could only come up with 'Cain and Abel' for FJ although I didn't think it was a book title.

As a side note - anyone know how to find the day's final jeopardy on the new Jeopardy website? I can't find it anywhere on the homepage. It used to have the NYT clue of the day (which was the FJ clue 99% of the time) about 2/3 of the way down.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, secnarf said:

I wonder if 'abracadabra' would have been accepted for the rhyming magician clue. I thought of hocus pocus first, but then wondered about abracadabra.

The answers had to start with "H", so abracadabra wouldn't have worked.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I also could only come up with 'Cain and Abel' for FJ although I didn't think it was a book title.

Same here, which is kind of like coming up with "Where is Notre Dame located" for the Ronald Reagan FJ last week. A close-but-no-cigar kind of thing.

2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I also will admit to singing “The Love Boat” just like the contestant did.  I probably would not have done so on national TV, though.  :)

I was stunned that this didn't irk me. I attribute that to having downed a couple Mt. Dews before the show started. I guess I need to watch this show highly caffeinated. It evens out my bad temperament.

I got Blackjack Pershing. And a laugh out of Jude the Obsure since one of my favorite PTV posters is JudyObscure. I hope she was watching.

What was up with Kyle giving the three Baltic state names and Trebek telling him he got the last one in "in time." What, if the answer is multiple words you still get X seconds to pronounce them all? Even on Family Feud they give the second person more time on that final list of questions (forgot what it's called).

30 minutes ago, secnarf said:

As a side note - anyone know how to find the day's final jeopardy on the new Jeopardy website? I can't find it anywhere on the homepage.

Jeopardy.com has calmed down a bit and the NYT FJ question is back. J6 works pretty well, except the last two DJ questions go spazzy so I'm not able to answer them. But anyway, here's where I can find FJ if that helps Secnarf.

WhereToFindNYT.png

• Love 2

Yay, Kyle!  I, too, cracked up that he got the Colorado State song for his DD.

I got dust storm, McMaster, Patton, House of Bourbon (why didn't Reese, the "enthusiast" know this?), and the Supremes.

FJ wasn't an instaget because I first had to reject the novel Kane and Abel (I remember reading that in the 80's).  Then I slapped my forehead and yelled "East of Eden".

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Jeopardy.com has calmed down a bit and the NYT FJ question is back. J6 works pretty well, except the last two DJ questions go spazzy so I'm not able to answer them. But anyway, here's where I can find FJ if that helps Secnarf.

WhereToFindNYT.png

Thanks!

Too bad it involves a couple of extra clicks now.

• Love 2

The streak continues!  Go, me!  I got as far as, it must be about Cain and Abel, so I'm getting closer.  lol

I'm not doing badly during the actual game, but FJ is kicking my arse.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I despise Steinbeck.  

Same here.

1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

FJ wasn't an instaget because I first had to reject the novel Kane and Abel (I remember reading that in the 80's).  

Good miniseries, too.  I miss miniseries.

I still remember watching Rich Man, Poor Man-Book ll in high school, while I was on the phone with my best friend.

I digress.

0-6

Edited by lb60
  • Love 3
On 9/15/2018 at 11:37 AM, lb60 said:

Off the top of my head, I don't remember seeing Toothbrush or Mystery Author, since the new season started.  Also, teebax has only popped in maybe one time.  Hmmmm, do I sound like a stalker?  :-/

I'm still here but watching too late to comment. I have four preps this school year. That means I'm teaching four different classes for which I have to write lesson plans. Anyone who thinks teachers work short days is nuts! 

I'm enjoying and impressed by the current champion. I'm not at all interested in this beard contest or all star tournament. Hard pass on both. Jeopardy is trying too hard, and I don't need Austin, Colby, or Buzzy back on my screen this soon. If ever. 

Edited by teebax
  • Love 9