Type keyword(s) to search

Roseanne: Aftermath

1 minute ago, 2727 said:

Any bets on who caves first -- Roseanne goes back on Twitter or ABC checks their wallet and gives "The Conners" a go in the Fall?

Her Twitter account is still active.

• Love 2

I just don't think it would work as a spinoff without Roseanne.  

So disappointed.  Today I read something about her being in a Twitter war, and didn't really read about it, and now I'm reading her show is cancelled.  I hope she is ashamed of herself if for nothing else all the people she put out of work.  Lacy hasn't worked in years, and I don't think Michael Fishman has done anything in front of the camera since the first show ended.  John Goodman does not have to work on TV.  He's always in movies.  

Man, this sucks.  I'd like to defend her, but I can't.  I'd like to come up with some alternative, but what would it be?  Suspend Roseanne Barr for a few episodes?  She just really made it impossible for ABC to do anything else.  

• Love 9
(edited)

I enjoyed catching up with the Connors and looked forward to another season.  But I think it would have been better for 'Roseanne' to have never come back than to have it end like this.  Now we're losing many of the reruns as well, and classic 'Roseanne' was my favorite show. 

Edited by eskimo
  • Love 18
(edited)

Harris was... stretching... believability as a 15 year old, because of the use of Dawson Casting. She was starting to look more like a woman than a girl. not the greatest character, either.

Edited by JacquelineAppleton
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

John Goodman is retweeting tweets about  a spin off or continuing without Roseanne.  That would actually be the best solution.

It will never happen.   Nobody wants anything to do with "Roseanne".  And Goodman should either issue a statement of some sort to address the issue or shut up.   Not the day to lobby for a re-boot.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, rcc said:

Re - continuing the show without Roseanne.

I doubt Sara wants to continue. No word from John yet. I can't see him continuing either. Roseanne ruined everything and she needs to go away back to her nut farm.

Sara’s twitter statement which I thought was ridiculous indicated the show shouldn’t be punished for “one cast member”.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, JacquelineAppleton said:

Harris was... stretching... believably as a 15 year old, because of the use of Dawson Casting. She was starting to look more like a woman than a girl. not the greatest character, either.

Hopefully the actress Emma Kenney will be successful in her rehabilitation process and get a role she is more suited to and shines in.  I applaud her for having quit the show before she actually found out about the cancellation.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, break21 said:

It will never happen.   Nobody wants anything to do with "Roseanne".  And Goodman should either issue a statement of some sort to address the issue or shut up.   Not the day to lobby for a re-boot.

It's like scorched earth.  No reruns of the Original Recipe seasons, no Emmy awards nominations now, nothing.

• Love 10
Just now, CelticBlackCat said:

It's like scorched earth.  No reruns of the Original Recipe seasons, no Emmy awards nominations now, nothing.

I don't think what she said is bad enough for them to stop airing the original run episodes...

• Love 10
42 minutes ago, TheOtherOne said:

I feel like I should be upset by this as that block in the middle of the night on TV Land is great when you can't sleep, but the reality is that all the stuff surrounding the reboot and seeing how awful she's been online has already made it harder for me to just enjoy those episodes for what they were.  I was already pretty hit or miss on the reboot as a lot of the writing felt almost like a caricature of the original and I didn't like that it didn't seem to respect the history of the original, which is on all the damn time if you just want to take five seconds to check to see what the backstory was there.  But I've increasingly found my feelings about that bleeding into my fondness for the original recipe even before this.

• Love 15
(edited)

I easily think there could be a void filled where there is a show set in the Midwest with blue-collar family.  I’d even support some of the same cast and crew minus Roseanne.  But it shouldn’t have anything to do with the Conners and it should be fresh, original characters.  While it was fun to revisit everybody, I thought the political mess and backstory that had to be pigeon-holed in some places really held the reboot back.

Edited by saylubee
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, CelticBlackCat said:

You know I was thinking that Roseanne might make a big show at the Emmy's, with Goodman winning over Anthony Anderson, and the sitcom as best comedy over Black ish. But I think you're right, Emmy voters will stay away now.

• Love 4

I've probably seen all the original shows several times, so I watched the first of the new one and was disappointed.  Everyone seemed to be trying too hard to be funny, even Goodman.  The closeness was no longer there.  That was enough for me.  Don't care if it returns or not. 

• Love 11

I think the show would be better without Roseanne and Harris, if it focused on Darlene and Becky, and original recipe Jackie returned.  I like the relationship with Dan and DJ to.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

It's not just one tweet though. This was just the latest tweet. The straw that broke the camel's back. She's out of control.

Laff's going to run 12 hours of the Drew Carey Show now.

• Love 4

The little I know about television and how syndication goes, if the cast members are still receiving residuals from the original series every time it is aired, well, bye bye residuals, too. 

• Love 7
(edited)
29 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

When I saw an episode where Dan Connor referred to illegal immigrants as "illegals", I was disgusted that he was willing to do that. Fuck him.

Why?  The whole illegal vs. undocumented debate has been going on for years.

I knew there was a reason why I stayed off Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

It's sad for the rest of the cast, and I don't blame them for Roseanne's remarks, but if she has been making statements like this for a while, didn't anyone think she might go to far?

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, Rustybones said:

I've probably seen all the original shows several times, so I watched the first of the new one and was disappointed.  Everyone seemed to be trying too hard to be funny, even Goodman.  The closeness was no longer there.  That was enough for me.  Don't care if it returns or not. 

I found this reboot to be miserable and humourless.  On the last episode when the basement flooded, I suggested to my husband that they just all go downstairs and have someone toss a plugged in toaster into the water to put them all out of their misery.  Them and me. 

• Love 19

Producers should have hired someone to swat the phone out of her hands every time she got on social media. 

This leads me to wonder what would have become of the show had there been social media in the 80's/90's.  She had trouble enough staying out of the news for stupid behavior then.  Aside from the stupid stunts she pulled, the ironic thing is that back then she was considered to be poking the wasp nest by supporting gay characters on the show and participating in the first same-sex kiss in prime time. 

• Love 19

Well. This was quite the news to wake up to today. 

Good on ABC for finally putting a stop to her bullshit. Fuck you, Roseanne. 

As for the cast and crew, the cast I'm not as worried about, because most of them either already have other steady work they can fall back on or will likely find something new fairly soon. But yeah, hopefully the crew will be able to nab new jobs elsewhere as fast as possible. I wish them all well. 

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

The little I know about television and how syndication goes, if the cast members are still receiving residuals from the original series every time it is aired, well, bye bye residuals, too. 

Roseanne Barr really screwed everyone involved.  What she said in her latest tweet is reprehensible and why she felt the need to say it at all to the public in general boggles my mind.  Then she tells us it was a joke, like we just don't get it.  WTF?

• Love 17
3 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

She has now officially fucked us all over.

Hee!!!

What are the chances that the old reruns will continue if the money made from them is enough?  Quite often money/greed ends up trumping everything else.

• Love 2

I wasn't a regular viewer during the original run but seen several eps.  The new ones I haven't bother  to see since I heard about Roseanne going off the rails (to put it kindly) since the show first went off the air.  Does anyone know how/why Valerie Jarrett got under her skin so much that she felt compelled to tweet what she did?  To be frank I was surprised that ABC would cancel the show outright with the ratings it got. But at least someone was able to put common decency and civility over ratings.

• Love 8

For far too long, in my opinion, some celebrities felt that they were either above the law or untouchable for their behaviors.  I am glad that Roseanne has learned that there are consequences for her behaviors.  I feel the same about other celebrities who have abused their positions for years and are now reeling from the consequences that they are now facing. 

• Love 15

Please i hope no one falls for the "lets show some some 'understanding" towards someone for shitty behavior just because they are a member of a marginalized group such as women".

• Love 3

For the posters who clean to Roseanne eps or treat their insomnia with it -suggest you buy the series -if its for sale. I bought DVDs of Psych so I could have my fix (find the show upbeat and fun) anytime I needed it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, saylubee said:

I’m cynical enough to wonder if this wasn’t part of Roseanne’s (as in Roseanne Barr the person) plan all along.  I never got the feeling she was as into the reboot as some of the other characters.  She doesn’t own it, Sara Gilbert was the executive producer, ABC had their hands in the cookie jar and season two was supposed to be less political and more normal sitcom... the whole thing makes me think that Roseanne always had Twitter as her “out”.

Feh. PeeWee Herman did it first and better when he wanted out.

• Love 7

I don't think any kind of spin-off would work now or in the near future.  Think of it, they would have to refer to her in some way from time to time, even if the character was dead, and it would leave a bad taste. Just, no. I think Roseanne is going to be untouchable for a while, maybe forever.  I read a couple of interviews with her when the series reboot started, and she seemed happy living in Hawaii.  She should just stay there now.

The only channel I have seen Cosby reruns recently on is BET and I don't know if they are even airing them anymore, especially after he was found guilty.  It is a shame that the other cast will lose out on the residuals $$$.

• Love 8

Amazon isn't broadcasting the show. The cable and broadcast channels pay the show based on anticipated viewership. On Amazon, an individual has to make a decision if they want part of their Prime membership to go to Roseanne. For them to "cancel" it, they would have to make it unavailable. The people who already bought it own it, just as if they had a DVD.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, willowk said:

or the posters who clean to Roseanne eps or treat their insomnia with it -suggest you buy the series -if its for sale. I bought DVDs of Psych so I could have my fix (find the show upbeat and fun) anytime I needed it.

I've gotten so lazy about using DVDs,  Being able to PVR shows has totally spoiled me!  I won't buy Roseanne on DVD because as I referenced in another thread I won't give that woman one thin dime but this is a timely reminder to me to get shows on DVD that I would like to keep.  Thanks!

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, ketose said:

Amazon isn't broadcasting the show. The cable and broadcast channels pay the show based on anticipated viewership. On Amazon, an individual has to make a decision if they want part of their Prime membership to go to Roseanne. For them to "cancel" it, they would have to make it unavailable. The people who already bought it own it, just as if they had a DVD.

Yes, but Amazon could choose to pull the show from their Prime Video lineup.

• Love 3
(edited)
45 minutes ago, break21 said:

This. If ever there was an actor who I only felt goodwill towards, it was Goodman. Until reading about his response to this.

The John Goodman I thought I knew would have written, "I'm so glad the show has been cancelled. And so ashamed I had any part of it."

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 16
(edited)

This is SO disappointing. I didn't love the reboot, but I liked it a lot and think it would have gotten better in season two. Fuck you Roseanne for robbing us of that. 

Edited by DB in CMH
  • Love 22
2 minutes ago, DB in CMH said:

This is SO disappointing. I didn't love the reboot, but I liked it a lot and think it would have gotten better in season two. Fuck you Roseanne for robbing us of that. 

I couldn't say it better. Seriously fuck Roseanne.

• Love 8

The reruns will come back, so I'm not worried about the cast (especially Gilbert, Goodman, and Metcalf). I do feel badfor the crew.  The gaffes, craft services, and assistants, etc. I hope get new gigs. 

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, millennium said:

I just don't get the fallacy that a deranged multimillionaire is a legitimate spokesperson, avatar, etc., for the working class families of America.  Isn't it obvious to everyone that she's exploiting them?   Why doesn't anyone call her on that shit?

She was poor when she started out so I believe she knows what that is like.  When your show is successful you get rich.  If you stopped people from acting who got rich no-one would be around to film a series.

• Love 9
56 minutes ago, break21 said:

I searched for John Goodman's Twitter and I don't think he has one. Before crucifying him, are we sure it's him retweeting support for continuing the reboot without her? Is it a blue checked account? Goodman and Metcalf are NOT conservatives. I don't see them as being okay with what she did.  I don't think either one is big on social media, though. 

15 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

This. If ever there was an actor who I only felt goodwill towards, it was Goodman. Until reading about his response to this.

Source? I just want to be sure it was actually HIM. He shouldn't be lumped in with that crazy bitch, unnecessarily. 

• Love 24