Type keyword(s) to search

Roseanne: Aftermath

(edited)
Just now, ChicksDigScars said:

I searched for John Goodman's Twitter and I don't think he has one. Before crucifying him, are we sure it's him retweeting support for continuing the reboot without her? Is it a blue checked account? Goodman and Metcalf are NOT conservatives. I don't see them as being okay with what she did.  I don't think either one is big on social media, though. 

I can't find a real Twitter and it doesn't seem he is on Facebook either. There is at least one fake Twitter account and several people named John Goodman but no real account. I also can't find anything official quoting Goodman saying the show should continue.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, saylubee said:

I’m cynical enough to wonder if this wasn’t part of Roseanne’s (as in Roseanne Barr the person) plan all along.  I never got the feeling she was as into the reboot as some of the other characters.  She doesn’t own it, Sara Gilbert was the executive producer, ABC had their hands in the cookie jar and season two was supposed to be less political and more normal sitcom... the whole thing makes me think that Roseanne always had Twitter as her “out”.

I guess it could be, she can now be hired to say whatever nutty conspiracy theory or bigotry pops into her head and get applauded for it by the unfortunately many places that would pay her to do that, but I'm not sure she had anyway of knowing that ABC would actually pull the plug on it rather than try and send her to "asshole rehab" etc for a couple of weeks. Not to mention she's suddenly become as radio active as Weinstein in 5 hours. 

But yeah the OTT obviously nasty anti black racism and insane anti Semitism in short order did have me wondering. 

• Love 9
(edited)
2 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

Love to know what Sandra Bernhardt who was literally frothing at the mouth for a chance to play her character Nancy again and was kissing Roseanne's butt all  over her radio show is saying about this turn of events.

She says she is "deeply bummed", "trying to focus on the one I love", "breathe through it". Sounds like this aired after the tweets but before the cancellation.

Rosie O'Donnell responded to an Ask Ro question on her website that she called her.  I bring up Rosie because she has gone on record saying that both Roseanne and Kanye are mentally ill and have suffered traumatic brain injuries, which doesn't really get mentioned anywhere else.

I'm guessing "The Talk" will have huge ratings tomorrow ...

Edited by JakeyJokes
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, nodorothyparker said:

I feel like I should be upset by this as that block in the middle of the night on TV Land is great when you can't sleep, 

My go-to is Frasier reruns on Hallmark Channel.

• Love 23
(edited)
1 hour ago, ketose said:

Amazon isn't broadcasting the show. The cable and broadcast channels pay the show based on anticipated viewership. On Amazon, an individual has to make a decision if they want part of their Prime membership to go to Roseanne. For them to "cancel" it, they would have to make it unavailable.

As of right this second, on my Amazon Prime, 'Roseanne' is listed as the first offering under Classic TV.  

33 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

When he and Roseanne were both on Kimmel, the night before the reboot premier, he CLEARLY did not agree with her Trump views.  His eyes were practically rolling into the back of his head. 

Pretty sure he wouldn't have played Rex Tillerson more than once on SNL if he agreed with Roseanne's views.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 9
9 minutes ago, JakeyJokes said:

I'm guessing "The Talk" will have huge ratings tomorrow ...

Hee!!!  I bet it had an uptick today!  I tuned in today and I never watch the show....already set to record tomorrow!

• Love 5

People can like each other and not agree with each others politics.  Just look at my family.    Half conservative half liberals sprinkled with those who straddle the line.   It always looked to me that John Goodman liked Roseanne Barr for whatever reason that dated back.   The same with Metcalf.  And Sara Gilbert entire childhood is mixed in with the show so there is a whole lot mixed in there including a coming out story that could have gone a whole lot differently.  My guess is that Roseanne has always been a little crazy but then add into it getting old and just not caring anymore and you have a fire bomb waiting to go off.     I feel horrible for her cast mates who probably thought they could wrangle her in at least enough to keep the show going a few years but didn't expect the show to take off the way it did which I guess lit a match inside of Roseanne that they couldn't control.  But mostly I feel sorry for the crew who probably mostly didn't have a choice who they worked for.  A job is a job.   I doubt this is going to look good on a resume.  

• Love 19

I think I read years ago that Rosanne struggled with drug addiction.  If that is true, then her behavior comes as no surprise.  She did what an addict will do when something good happens, sabotage it.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Delphi said:

This is staggering news.   Firstly that ABC cancelled it and so quickly considering how successful its been.   Roseanne was completely out of line and I can't justify her insanity but I will say that I've immensely enjoyed the one season we got and that we won't see these stories explored further.   I wanted to spend a bit more time with the Connors if not Barr.

Totally agree.  What she said was crap and I understand why they cancelled it, but I enjoyed the few episodes we got and was looking forward to more.  It was really fun to watch, even though the cast seemed kind of stiff or rusty and there were so many unexplained plot points that were hard to ignore (esp. when/how Mark died and why Jackie was portrayed as a childless maiden aunt).  I wanted to see more of Becky and (I can't believe I'm saying this!) DJ.  This really sucks!  It would be awesome if they could continue it without Roseanne, but oh well.  It was fun while it lasted.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

Same with mine.  And if Roseanne had limited her tweets to political commentary we all wouldn't be having this conversation right now and I wouldn't be wondering what the hell Goodman, Gilbert and Metcalfe were thinking when they agreed to work with this woman!   I've had some Roseanne apologists on FB saying things like "can't we all just get along" and trying to pretend that the issue was Roseanne being a conservative in a liberal town.   Hell no.  I have lots of conservative voting relatives and none of them are batshit crazy conspiracy spouting racists!

I am by no means defending her.  I don't want anyone to think I am.  If anything I am defending Goodman Mecalfe and Gilbert.   One of the great things about the original Roseanne was the overriding arc of "we all need to work"  and how Roseanne and Dan sometimes took crappy demeaning jobs to put food on the table.  I can see many of the crew (camera man, sound editor etc) taking what they though was a good job.  As for Goodman, Metcalfe and Gilbert my guess is that they thought they could contain the crazy but when the show took off so did Roseanne's mouth.  

• Love 23
(edited)
1 hour ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I searched for John Goodman's Twitter and I don't think he has one. Before crucifying him, are we sure it's him retweeting support for continuing the reboot without her? Is it a blue checked account? Goodman and Metcalf are NOT conservatives. I don't see them as being okay with what she did.  I don't think either one is big on social media, though. 

Source? I just want to be sure it was actually HIM. He shouldn't be lumped in with that crazy bitch, unnecessarily. 

Being conservative is not bad and does not equal being racist.

No one should automatically be lumped in with anyone else.

1 hour ago, millennium said:

It just seems to me that by now she has been rich longer than she was ever poor and has no idea what it's like to live hand to mouth in America today.

I thought the show did a good job of showing how having a college education (Darlene) does not necessarily mean you will automatically be rich, how someone who planned to go to college (Becky) could get side tracked and suffer for it, and in the original show, how quitting a job (Roseanne - Wellman's) on the spur of the moment could have long reaching consequences.  I do wish Dan had mentioned regretting leaving his government job to make a bid on the prison construction project.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 21
3 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I can see many of the crew (camera man, sound editor etc) taking what they though was a good job

Indeed. A reboot of a hit show after the success of Will and Grace (and to lesser fanfare Fuller House) I can't fault a single behind the scenes crew member for thinking this job was going to be steady work for awhile, especially after it was renewed after the 1st episode. I hope there is some way these people can sue her for loss of income.

• Love 21

From the firing, to being dropped by her talent agency and now all the other tv providers/channels removing the original recipe show from syndication, other actors really coming down hard in condemnation in language that isn't diplomatic -- all of this is happening with such a decisive quickness that I am frankly surprised.  We haven't seen this type of wholesale industry response to a celebrity acting out since, well, Kevin Spacey. 

Makes you wonder is Disney/ABC flexing muscles behind the scenes?  Or were people wanting to distance themselves from Roseanne as she's become incrasinly unhinged on twitter well before this didn't feel empowered to do so until ABC cancelled her in such a definitive way?

• Love 6

She took pride, as do many others, in having no filter.  Having no filter has consequences.  There is always someone to answer to, whether you own your own business, make your living on your own terms, or not.  It is most unfortunate that she has taken income from dozens of other people.

For me, the reboot was nowhere near as entertaining as the original, and for that reason, I'm not broken up about this.  I am sad that a grown human cannot understand that actions have consequences.  It's hard enough to teach that to children.  On second thought, maybe she has provided a really great example for that lesson.  

So there's that.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, ketose said:

Now that there's a half hour opened up, is there any chance for "Kevin (Probably) Saves the World" to come back?

I considered tweeting about that to ABC, but I wasn't sure if it would be in good taste or not. The timing seemed wrong somehow. 

• Love 1

I saw him on a talk show after the reboot and he said he doesn't do any social media.  He is living a quiet life in New Orleans.

53 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

When he and Roseanne were both on Kimmel, the night before the reboot premier, he CLEARLY did not agree with her Trump views.  His eyes were practically rolling into the back of his head. 

Exactly.

I really feel for the black actors on the show - the granddaughter, the couple who were friends with them.  Jayden Rey was the little girl.  I hate to think she had to deal with this and such a young age and out in public.  

Perhaps they could change the show to "The Connors" and not have Roseanne?  I love Goodman and the others.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, break21 said:

Laff dumped it and I suspect Amazon will be next.

Ahhh, thanks for the heads up.  I usually watch the original reruns on Laff, which would be scheduled to start in about 20 minutes.  I'll tune in just long enough to see what replaces Roseanne.  And then it's lights out for the one with more cats.  Buh-bye, you racist trash.

• Love 3
(edited)

The Conner's would be so fantastic! I 've always felt that the reboot really belonged to Darlene/Sara Gilbert anyway.  She'll stay in the house with Dan, Jackie could become a Guest Star, Becky would have a bigger role, Harris could be recast... It could be so good.  Also, DJ's family could be featured heavily, too.

Edited by HadleyFields
  • Love 9

Now we're losing many of the reruns as well, and classic 'Roseanne' was my favorite show. 

I'm guessing that this will just be temporary.  The same thing happened with 'The Cosby Show' and now it's being shown on TVOne all the time (usually in marathon form).

I didn't watch the 'Roseanne' reboot, only read about the episodes on this forum, but I hate that it came to this and hope that the other actors, writers, etc. find success elsewhere quickly.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Lili said:

Then they would need to change the name of the show. If Roseanne herself is no longer part of it, it wouldn't really make sense to still call it Roseanne.

It can be done and it indeed was done. Remember Valerie? And that show even survived without Valerie.

• Love 3

Maybe Roseanne should have noted that the president of ABC is an African American woman before clicking send (or however tweets go out, FB is all I can handle for social media).

• Love 10
4 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

I do wish they would continue the reboot without her as a big Fuck You. I'd watch the hell out of that. Let Roseanne Conner die of an overdose or not wake up out of surgery. Everyone has such good chemistry that I think it could be pulled off. That  episode that didnt feature her in the original run (the one where Jackie was taking care of the kids) was just fine. Let her watch everyone move on without her. She couldn't handle it.

Yes!  Or make her die on the toilet.  And let there be a life insurance policy.  And let everyone have a big celebration.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I'd enjoy such a show, but I wouldn't watch it, and I hope it doesn't happen. Why? Because all the cast members were complicit from the beginning. Roseanne's repulsive and hateful viewpoints didn't start over the weekend. 

On the other hand, spinning off The Connor Family (Roseanne dies during knee surgery and is never mentioned again) would troll real life Roseanne pretty awesomely and could be hilarious in how much it pisses her off.

2 hours ago, magdalene said:

I feel bad for the cast and crew.  Nobody is irreplacable. Maybe they could continue without her. 

I am not sure I feel too bad for them. I mean it is not like this is a reboot of Bosom Buddies and all of the sudden Tom Hanks does something shocking and terrible on twitter. If that was the case i might feel bad. But with people going to work for/with Roseanne you probably should have known what you were getting yourself into. 

• Love 10
(edited)
3 hours ago, JapMo said:

I hope she is ashamed of herself if for nothing else all the people she put out of work. 

People like that are never ashamed of themselves. 

John Goodman does not have to work on TV.  He's always in movies.  

He's also doing Burger King or McDonald's commercials now.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 5
(edited)

You know how some tv shows never explained what happened to a former spouse, like Carol Brady's first husband? I would get such pleasure out of (my dream show) "The Conner's" following suit.

Edited by HadleyFields
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, After7Only said:

It's not unprecedented.  In the 90s Valerie Harper had a family sitcom called "Valerie".   There was some issues with the producers/network, and they decided to fire her.  But they kept the show going, killed off Valerie, brought in Sandy Duncan as the aunt and renamed the show "The Hogan Family".   I wouldn't be surprised if ABC has a change of heart, kill of Rosanne's character and rename the show "The Conners"

Actually, they renamed it "Valerie's Family" first, and eventually it became "The Hogan Family."

You know I was thinking that Roseanne might make a big show at the Emmy's, with Goodman winning over Anthony Anderson, and the sitcom as best comedy over Black ish. But I think you're right, Emmy voters will stay away now.

ABC Suspends "Roseanne" Emmys FYC (for your consideration) Campaign

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

Yes!  Or make her die on the toilet.  And let there be a life insurance policy.  And let everyone have a big celebration.

I say have her die of opiod od.  Very timely in our country right now.

• Love 9

When I read that NY Times interview with Roseanne last week, I had a feeling something like this was brewing. For all the talk that the reboot was Sara Gilbert or Whitney Cummings' baby (and it may have been at first) I got the impression from the interview that Roseanne was going to do what she did with the original: get drunk on power and attention, convince herself that it's All About Her, and wrest control of the show away because Roseanne knows best. Then Whitney Cummings announced she was quitting with a b.s. excuse (as someone else noted, you don't quit your job as showrunner on a No. 1 sitcom after one tiny season because of a self created standup schedule). Roseanne erroneously believed that this is still the 90's and she still had the power to get away with this crap. She had made similar horrible comments - including similar racist comments - on Twitter before but they were scrubbed clean. She also supposedly "quit Twitter" a bunch of times before (and then never ends up deleting her account). The fact that people like Wanda Sykes and the actress who played Harris were quick to quit I think it what probably caused ABC to pull the trigger now.

• Love 22
(edited)

Well, I have to say I'm eating all of this up, personally. I loved the original series, and I still love John Goodman and Laurie Metcalfe--so much respect for their talent--but I didn't want to have any part of this revival. Partly because of real Roseanne and partly because character Roseanne was altered to fit real Roseanne despite the two being nothing alike in the present. I would totally watch a spinoff that focused on Jackie and Dan, not that the actors need help finding work.

I doubt the re-runs will be gone from TV forever. I see The Cosby Show and 7th Heaven airing regularly, even with all the scandal that's come out about Bill Cosby and Stephen Collins.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 17
2 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I doubt the re-runs will be gone forever. I see The Cosby Show and 7th Heaven airing regularly, even with all the scandal that's come out about the actors who played the father's on both shows.

It hasn't even been a day since this all broke - I don't know what will happen with the reruns but despite how I feel about Roseanne and what she has said I don't think that should mean that the original series should never see the light of day again.  With regard to The Cosby Show, I don't want to stray off topic but could I ask where people are seeing this show now?  It's been off the TV grid where I am for several years and I don't think it will be airing again.

• Love 5
(edited)

I don't understand Wanda Sykes' participation in the first place.

Sykes is lesbian.  What was she doing working with/for someone who has shamelessly tweeted hateful messages about transgender people in the recent past?

I'm sorry, but I don't feel bad for any of her co-stars or the writers, producers, owners.   Lay down with dogs, get up with fleas.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 12
3 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

With regard to The Cosby Show, I don't want to stray off topic but could I ask where people are seeing this show now?  It's been off the TV grid where I am for several years and I don't think it will be airing again.

It's been airing on TVOne.

• Love 2

Now that the dust is settling...

I feel for Sara who championed this from the start and I truly believe she did this with the best of intentions and maybe she hoped that she can rein Roseanne in.  I feel for the crew who are suddenly out of a job.  I feel for the writers that were reporting to work while this was happening (they were supposed to start at 1030 AM PDT) and within half an hour, they were out of a job.  

I sort of feel for ABC who despite probably knowing what a loose cannon she was, still said yes to a reboot, then realized how bad it was spiraling out of their zone but couldn't do anything until she did something she could never take back.   As the president of the network,  Channing Dungey clearly felt offended by it enough to pull the trigger.  I can only imagine what the upfronts in July will be for the network and especially for her.  Will the reporters applaud her or cut her down to say "it took THAT long to figure it out?" 

As for Roseanne...I sort of feel sorry for her too.  Sorry that she sees the world the way she does.  I was willing to separate her from the character, but it got to be too much.    There's one bitch that is bigger than her though and that was karma.  Today, karma came to her hard. 

• Love 22

With regard to people losing their jobs: I think that's just the nature of the entertainment business; it's the ultimate gig economy. People join projects (movies, TV shows, etc.) but there's no guarantee it will last forever. It's unfortunate, but it's the same story for all those people who are now out of work because of the networks' cancellation bloodbath this year.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Apprentice79 said:

I am Black and my cousin is a Black conservative and he is not batshit crazy. We are west Indians and we tend to lean conservative, in general.  Unfortunately, it is the crazy ones that get all of the media attention. 

Which is sad.  I'm fiscally conservative.  However, when it comes to who someone wants to marry, what church they go to or if they go to church, etc., it's none of my business.  It's also unfortunate that other people are out of a job because of what Roseanne tweeted, but I am glad so many people were willing to call her out for it.

1 hour ago, HadleyFields said:

The Conner's would be so fantastic! I 've always felt that the reboot really belonged to Darlene/Sara Gilbert anyway.  She'll stay in the house with Dan, Jackie could become a Guest Star, Becky would have a bigger role, Harris could be recast... It could be so good.  Also, DJ's family could be featured heavily, too.

I agree, and Darlene/Becky interactions were my favorite part of the show.  I really loved that DJ's family was exactly that.  There was no lame explanation about who DJ was married to, or about his daughter.  They were simply his family, and it was a beautiful family, not just looks wise, although Gina is gorgeous and so is Mary.  They also seemed very sweet and happy to be together.

• Love 14