Type keyword(s) to search

Roseanne: Aftermath

I removed several posts that threw more heat than light on the issue of Roseanne's future prospects, along with posts that quoted them. The forums are a place to converse and perhaps agree, disagree or persuade -- not to score points.

• Love 4
On 6/23/2018 at 7:20 PM, Neiman said:

I haven't seen anything about Roseanne's agreement. I think it would be great if she could start another show.  Some have suggested that they write out Roseanne by saying she went to prison.  I could see her making that work sort of like a comedic Orange Is the New Black.

I don't think Roseanne would be a allowed to do anything based on the Roseanne Conner character, the whole point of the settlement was that she no longer has any ownership of that. She's free to do anything else though, so if there's a network and writers/actors/crew who still want to work with her, and an audience that wants to watch her, nobody is stopping that from happening.

• Love 6
On June 25, 2018 at 5:05 PM, possibilities said:

This is not the first time Roseanne has behaved in a vile manner and then gone through a routine of defiance, denial, excuses, then whining and self-pity when there were repercussions. She will try every strategy she can think of, including claiming she has seen the light and/or gotten treatment and/or was possessed by a demon from hell but has since been fully exorcized, until someone decides to bankroll her for another round. If any of it is sincere or real, it only lasts until the next round, so what's the point? It doens't matter to me if she's doing it consciously to be manipulative, or if she's doing it because she's genuinely chaotic and unable to control herself. Either way, I don't want to go along for the ride.

We have a world of people who are talented and interesting and could do something worth paying attention to, without the vileness and the drama alongside.

And that, of course, is one's prerogative to choose not to go along for the ride.  However, Roseanne has proven that she can bounce back, and she still has supporters who will tune in when she's ready for a comeback.  Hollywood is full of vile drama queens/kings who aren't as talented and interesting as Roseanne, yet they find work and audiences.  

I look forward to seeing her next venture and reading responses here in "Aftermath" about possible shows she might do in the future.  

• Love 2
(edited)

While I will look upon Roseanne Barr with a good deal of skepticism, I'm a people person. I try very hard to like people and if I can't like them, I remind myself to try to understand them. I want Roseanne to redeem herself and I hope she does. 

While it will certainly take a lot of time and good behavior, I just happen to think that people like Roseanne and Kathy Griffin (she of the fake severed head infamy) could redeem themselves if anyone's willing to give them a chance. 

I certainly don't blame those who aren't willing to give people like them a chance and I empathize with them (let's face it, I'm a white female - Roseanne hasn't touched a nerve in me the way on the same intensely personal level she's touched a nerve in a LOT of other people), but I prefer to hope for the best even if I'm an idiot hoping for the best in someone like Roseanne, who has pulled this kind of shit before and probably will again. 

There's just so much nastiness in the world and Roseanne has contributed more than her fair share. I struggle with a LOT of my own nastiness (nothing NEAR the level of filth Roseanne put out there, just to be clear) and I just want to believe in the idea that people can still be kind and respectful to each other, even if they don't have to be nice to each other, or get along with each other, or agree with each other.

Edited by katie9918
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, katie9918 said:

While I will look upon Roseanne Barr with a good deal of skepticism, I'm a people person. I try very hard to like people and if I can't like them, I remind myself to try to understand them. I want Roseanne to redeem herself and I hope she does. 

While it will certainly take a lot of time and good behavior, I just happen to think that people like Roseanne and Kathy Griffin (she of the fake severed head infamy) could redeem themselves if anyone's willing to give them a chance. 

I certainly don't blame those who aren't willing to give people like them a chance and I empathize with them (let's face it, I'm a white female - Roseanne hasn't touched a nerve in me the way on the same intensely personal level she's touched a nerve in a LOT of other people), but I prefer to hope for the best even if I'm an idiot hoping for the best in someone like Roseanne, who has pulled this kind of shit before and probably will again. 

There's just so much nastiness in the world and Roseanne has contributed more than her fair share. I struggle with a LOT of my own nastiness (nothing NEAR the level of filth Roseanne put out there, just to be clear) and I just want to believe in the idea that people can still be kind and respectful to each other, even if they don't have to be nice to each other, or get along with each other, or agree with each other.

Just wanted to say I completely agree and understand.

• Love 2

Posts regarding Roseanne's future career opportunities should go in either the Media topic (if it's an article/link of interest to Roseanne - the show - fans) or the Roseanne Barr specific one. The last couple have been moved there. 

• Love 1