Type keyword(s) to search

Roseanne: Aftermath

9 hours ago, TheOtherOne said:

In this link, there's a tweet from Roseanne. It's so odd, because her behavior in the last few days shows that she very clearly needs mental help - with the original post, then blaming Ambien, then calling out the cast, then bashing everyone who disagrees with her, this goes on to infinity - but she's so remarkably accurate that it really sucks that especially Goodman & Metcalf won't be recognized (at the Emmys or even by keeping their jobs) for their work, because of Roseanne's off-screen behavior, which they had nothing to do with. She's also exactly correct that the network won't find other actors of that caliber on their network, & it's heartbreaking that her racist rant has caused all of us to lose them, too. I honestly didn't realize how much I love & missed John Goodman as Dan Conner until the show was cancelled. After the shock wore off, my very first thought was 'I will really miss Dan Conner/John Goodman." He wasn't my favorite on the original, but I loved him so much in the revival.

Roseanne's tweet (I suck at linking, so I'm posting it): I just wish ABC had not thrown two of the greatest actors in the world out with me-Laurie and John. I'm so sick over this-they will never have better character actors on their network.

• Love 12
55 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

thank you for giving me my first laugh of the morning. Is she still alive? 

Still alive and kicking at 72. 

• Love 3

The more I think about it, maybe a spin-off/reboot without Roseanne could work. Of course, they would have to kill her off. In one of the last episodes from this season she was shown to be using opioids.  Maybe the new show could open with the family returning to the house from her funeral.  We don't know at first how she died, but then it comes out that she overdosed.  I can picture the family sitting in the living room, dressed in black. This could also be a teachable moment, because there is an opioid crisis right now. Maybe her knee surgery had been delayed and she continued to self-medicate which ended in tragedy. Also very timely in the news right now. Make it a one-hour show to deal with it and then move on and never really talk about her after that.  I know that sounds kind of unrealistic, but hey, its television.  With the characters that are left they can come up with quite a few storylines.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, debbie311 said:

The more I think about it, maybe a spin-off/reboot without Roseanne could work. Of course, they would have to kill her off. In one of the last episodes from this season she was shown to be using opioids.  Maybe the new show could open with the family returning to the house from her funeral.  We don't know at first how she died, but then it comes out that she overdosed.  I can picture the family sitting in the living room, dressed in black. This could also be a teachable moment, because there is an opioid crisis right now. Maybe her knee surgery had been delayed and she continued to self-medicate which ended in tragedy. Also very timely in the news right now. Make it a one-hour show to deal with it and then move on and never really talk about her after that.  I know that sounds kind of unrealistic, but hey, its television.  With the characters that are left they can come up with quite a few storylines.

I’d be ok with them making it an hour show with an announcement in the first 5 minutes by Sarah Gilbert. 

‘ Roseanne is no longer affiliated with the show due to personal issues. We have decided to make Dan a widower and have set the show six months into the future. We are going with Rosie dying during surgery due to complications’ 

then they proceed with a normal type show. Handle it with a one or two line in show comment like they did for Becky’s husband.   

I really don’t want to see it turned into comedy. The announcement would become part of syndication distribution. Yes, it breaks the 4th wall. 

• Love 11

The real Roseanne Barr made the reboot problematic, as people thought she was running the writer's room as she did before. I read an interview yesterday with a writer's assistant who was in the room for this reboot season. He said Barr was not in the room very much, and when she was she was gracious and seemed grateful for the opportunity. He said they would highlight jokes she said she liked, but she didn't determine the scripts. In contrast, critics were quick to think her views were coloring the reboot. I don't know what's in her head (think she's a troubled person), but she didn't run the show this time around.

• Love 6
On 5/29/2018 at 6:49 PM, theredhead77 said:

I can't find a real Twitter and it doesn't seem he is on Facebook either. There is at least one fake Twitter account and several people named John Goodman but no real account. I also can't find anything official quoting Goodman saying the show should continue.

On 5/29/2018 at 6:55 PM, ChicksDigScars said:

Same here. I searched and got nothing.  I'm not ready to throw him to the wolves. When he and Roseanne were both on Kimmel, the night before the reboot premier, he CLEARLY did not agree with her Trump views.  His eyes were practically rolling into the back of his head. 

I don't think it was actually HIM retweeting anything.  I would also give that same respect to Metcalf.  If they're not active on social media, we're not going to get instant gratification. Their publicists are going to have release something the old fashioned way. 

Goodman released a statement and in it he says he doesn't use Twitter. https://people.com/tv/john-goodman-reacts-roseanne-cancellation/

• Love 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, jsbt said:

There is precedent, albeit the opposite moral situation because Valerie Harper wasn't a disgusting bigot - Valerie became The Hogan Family when Full House, etc. hacks Miller-Boyett pushed her out of her own show.  They killed the lead star off after two seasons but the retooled version ran and was popular for four more years. It can be done.

I was too young at the time but reading about that situation now, I don't know if "pushed" out was what happened, more that she put the producers in an impossible situation. Wikipedia:

After a modest start in the ratings that was countered by critical success, Valerie had begun to show growth in the Nielsens by the end of the 1986–87 season. Its most significant ratings jump occurred after its moving to Mondays at 8:30/7:30c in March 1987, following ALF. NBC renewed the series for a third season in May. In light of the show's success, Harper and Cacciotti approached their producers and network about per-episode salary increases and a larger cut of future syndication revenue.[8] When all of the couple's requests were refused, Harper and Cacciotti walked out on Valerie. Harper had prior history in this situation, as she staged a walking out in 1975 following the first season of her hit series Rhoda, which successfully resulted in a pay increase.[8]

The couple continued to negotiate with Miller-Boyett Productions, Lorimar-Telepictures and NBC during the next few months as the behind-the-scenes struggle became well publicized. NBC programming chief Brandon Tartikoff, who was unhappy with the feud, publicly stated that he would replace Harper with another actress if the fighting did not cease. Tartikoff suggested Sandy Duncan as a replacement to Miller and Boyett, who both sided with the network chief in this possible casting decision. Duncan had recently signed a contract with NBC for a starring vehicle, and Tartikoff felt that this would be the best opportunity for her to make use of it.[8] The announcement was unprecedented at the time. There was never a show that had a lead actor or actress fired from a show named after him or her, with the series continuing with a different star. Harper and Cacciotti felt Tartikoff was trying to spite them with this attempt of a threat and criticized his notion that marquee stars of a television series were dispensable.

In late July 1987, it appeared that a suitable new payment agreement was reached by all parties involved. Harper returned to shoot the third-season premiere in early August. However, shortly after the episode was completed, news had come that Harper and Cacciotti were holding out again. As a result, the cast shot scenes around Harper for the next few episodes. After the couple failed to be on the set for three consecutive episodes, Lorimar decided they had enough, and fired Harper. The Valerie Hogan character was written out of the show by having died in a car accident. NBC explained that the series would take on difficult conflicts facing the family during the grieving process. To make good on their promise, Miller-Boyett and Tartikoff brought in Sandy Duncan as the series' new lead. The third-season premiere was hastily rewritten and shot to feature the shocking change in the storyline.

I could understand if the show had become a huge success on the level of The Cosby Show her wanting a raise(much like the Friends cast and Simpsons voice actors later)but it was a modest hit at best, mostly due to it being after Alf, and I don't think she realized what a big draw Jason Bateman was(as a teen idol and an already gifted comic actor), and that the show could continue with him as the star.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5

Perhaps I have only seen clips and not the full response in context, but I am disappointed in John Goodman’s response. His “Ah, I wasn’t going to win an Emmy anyway” comment leaves me cold, especially considering so many people - people who aren’t rich enough just to sit back and be comfortable while they wait for their next opportunity- lost their jobs.  I mean if you don’t want to condemn her overtly racist remarks, at the very least you should not make your comment all about you and a potential, lost award. I really hope I have only seen a small portion of a more thoughtful statement.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Perhaps I have only seen clips and not the full response in context, but I am disappointed in John Goodman’s response. His “Ah, I wasn’t going to win an Emmy anyway” comment leaves me cold,

He was asked specifically about the rumors as to whether or not "Roseanne" would be in the running for any Emmy's this year.  His was probably the best possible response to that question.

• Love 21
(edited)

You guys, she was just on Howard Stern a few weeks ago and sounded fine. Like a quirky, sometimes crochety old kook, yes, but also fun and funny and sounded like she was doing well. Man!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

He just doesn't want to talk about it at all, and I don't blame him.

2 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I was too young at the time but reading about that situation now, I don't know if "pushed" out was what happened, more that she put the producers in an impossible situation. Wikipedia:

There's two sides to every story, though. That goes by quotes from both sides. I personally think neither was fully in the right or wrong, but that still leaves Miller-Boyett as legendary TV hacks.

• Love 4

For those who are sad to see reruns being taken off TV too, you can currently watch every episode of the original run for free at FilmRise, which can be used on either your computer or Roku: http://filmrise.com/

I caught a few eps of the original show on FilmRise a couple weeks ago. It's sort of excruciating because they cut into commercial breaks all over the place, randomly. Like they'll cut someone off mid-sentence for a commercial break. It's almost like it's just on a timer or something and nobody is monitoring it. So be forewarned.

I just don't know about continuing the show without Roseanne. Comparing the situation to Valerie is sort of apples and oranges. This isn't a 1980s sitcom nor is it a 1980s world. They got away with that sort of thing back in the pre-internet, pre-social media days. This time around everyone knows what's going on in real time and that's going to affect all the decision making. 

(edited)
22 minutes ago, jsbt said:

He just doesn't want to talk about it at all, and I don't blame him.

There's two sides to every story, though. That goes by quotes from both sides. I personally think neither was fully in the right or wrong, but that still leaves Miller-Boyett as legendary TV hacks.

Oh I don't disagree. I loved Perfect Strangers but Norman Lear and James L. Brooks, they are not!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3
(edited)

They could do another season with Roseanne kicking the bucket, and Dan ending up with Crystal since I always felt Crystal had the secret hots for him. They could even have Gary come back and hook up with Jackie (maybe they could turn her back to original Jackie instead of the loud, obnoxious Jackie she has been after she broke up with Gary.)

Edited by bigskygirl

I wasn’t going to watch next season anyway. I do wish they would continue without her. I’d watch that.

I don’t blame her co-workers for working with her or if they chose to stay out of it. That’s not supporting her by any means. They knew what she was like, but she was a big part of the show before. In hindsight, it might have been better to do the reboot without her in the first place.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Meushell said:

I wasn’t going to watch next season anyway. I do wish they would continue without her. I’d watch that.

I don’t blame her co-workers for working with her or if they chose to stay out of it. That’s not supporting her by any means. They knew what she was like, but she was a big part of the show before. In hindsight, it might have been better to do the reboot without her in the first place.

They couldn't she has a financial interest in the show.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Meushell said:

That sucks. A show without her could have been interesting.

I think so too. In my scenario, she dies of sepsis following knee surgery at the crappy county hospital. Dan sues and gets a nice settlement. He pays off the house, the kids all move in and while they still have to struggle at least they all have a roof over their heads and some breathing space until everyone gets their shit together.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

I think so too. In my scenario, she dies of sepsis following knee surgery at the crappy county hospital. Dan sues and gets a nice settlement. He pays off the house, the kids all move in and while they still have to struggle at least they all have a roof over their heads and some breathing space until everyone gets their shit together.

I thought the house was already paid off. I could see Roseanne dying in a car accident. I would hate to see episodes with all the kids and grandchildren living together with Dan because the original series had Mark and Becky, David and DJ living in the house with Darlene visiting while she was in college with Dan and Roseanne. I think that story line has already sailed enough.

(edited)

For reasons I said a million years ago (i.e. two days ago), I really hope they don't try to keep a "Conner Family" show alive. But if they did, and Roseanne stood to make even one penny from it, I'd have to oppose it with every bone in my body.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 14

If Dan ended up with Crystal, I would burn the Earth down. It's done. This is just getting ridiculous at this point. I'm talking about the Roseanne Facebook groups, not here. It's just post after post after post about The View, and Bill Maher and anything they can pull from their ass. Here, people seem mostly sane. But, my God. Let it go. John should have shut up. Everyone involved should shut up. They won't win. People will twist it. Give it a week. No one will care anymore. There are much more worrisome things going on right now. She's a racist bitch. We knew she was a racist bitch.  That's it. 

• Love 21

Agreed.  I had someone on another group I visit going on and on about all the turmoil this is causing America and "don't people have bigger issues".  Turmoil?  Seriously?  Sure people who are interested are going to message boards like this one and talking about it but I really don't think it's changed anyone's life (well anyone outside Roseanne's immediate orbit of course).  Being interested in something and commenting on it does not equal not caring about anything else that is going on in the world!

• Love 13

You're right. It's just the frothing at the mouth to bring up just ridiculous things. I mean, I'm here commenting. People are acting like Roseanne was burned at the stake, and Hillary lit the match. It's insane. 

• Love 7
43 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

They could do another season with Roseanne kicking the bucket, and Dan ending up with Crystal since I always felt Crystal had the secret hots for him. They could even have Gary come back and hook up with Jackie (maybe they could turn her back to original Jackie instead of the loud, obnoxious Jackie she has been after she broke up with Gary.)

Didn't Crystal marry Dan's father?? 

4 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

Clinton has so much power for someone who didn't get elected!   Anyway I really dislike the way some are determined to cast Roseanne as the victim here.  IF she is a victim it's of her own big mouth and lack of boundaries, not to mention lack of common sense and a massive ego.  

Its as if she is super human or something! lol! 

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

Agreed.  I had someone on another group I visit going on and on about all the turmoil this is causing America and "don't people have bigger issues".  Turmoil?  Seriously?  Sure people who are interested are going to message boards like this one and talking about it but I really don't think it's changed anyone's life (well anyone outside Roseanne's immediate orbit of course).  Being interested in something and commenting on it does not equal not caring about anything else that is going on in the world!

It's almost like people can care about more than one thing at a time.

/s

• Love 9

Is Ed still alive? I agree there are bigger things in the world to worry about. I could care less about Roseanne or the show to be honest about it. I just hate the fact there will be people who will be paying the price for one racist tweet. Of course, she is not the first celebrity to play the victim card, and sadly she will not be the last one either.

22 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Yes, they can continue it as "The Conner Family"! I would assume Sandy Duncan's still available. :)

Forget that. Make an entire new show with the rest of the cast. Make it a 30 Rock style show within a show where they play fictionalized versions of themselves working on a family sitcom with a difficult star. You could even give Tom Arnold a role as the network executive they have to deal with.

2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Perhaps I have only seen clips and not the full response in context, but I am disappointed in John Goodman’s response. His “Ah, I wasn’t going to win an Emmy anyway” comment leaves me cold, especially considering so many people - people who aren’t rich enough just to sit back and be comfortable while they wait for their next opportunity- lost their jobs.  I mean if you don’t want to condemn her overtly racist remarks, at the very least you should not make your comment all about you and a potential, lost award. I really hope I have only seen a small portion of a more thoughtful statement.

My understanding is that he was getting his car fixed and a reporter was bugging him for a quote even after he said he didn't want to say anything. The emmy quote was in response to a question about his awards chances, and was what he said before he drove off.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, HoboClayton said:

Yes. Crystal married Ed, and ended up miserable at home alone most of the time, which Dan said would happen. 

That's right. I guess she still could marry Dan if Ed is dead. 

Dan shouldn't end up with Crystal, he should end up with... Jackie!

I always thought she had a thing for him, and he has grown to appreciate her....

Am I high or what? :)

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

I always thought she had a thing for him, and he has grown to appreciate her....

No you aren't. I always thought the same. Remember when he went and beat up Fisher after he beat her? I started getting the vibe then. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Forget that. Make an entire new show with the rest of the cast. Make it a 30 Rock style show within a show where they play fictionalized versions of themselves working on a family sitcom with a difficult star. You could even give Tom Arnold a role as the network executive they have to deal with.

I love that idea and would definitely watch.  Of course, I would watch John Goodman read a phone book.

• Love 9
(edited)
On 5/30/2018 at 4:35 PM, mythoughtis said:

I don’t understand why celebrities can’t figure out that maybe it’s not worth it to have a Twitter or public Facebook account. Maybe it’s better to be like some of the actors and actresses from the old studio days and be private and mysterious. 

Slightly off topic so I’ll be quick.  In the age of twitter a lot of shows that aims young do demand an online presence from actors.  Doesn’t mean it has to be you. That’s what you hire “people” for.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

Anyway I really dislike the way some are determined to cast Roseanne as the victim here.  IF she is a victim it's of her own big mouth and lack of boundaries, not to mention lack of common sense and a massive ego.  

I understand why some people want to support and defend her. The really upsetting thing is that there are too many people who don't really think she said anything that bad. She, herself, probably doesn't think what she tweeted was all that awful and was just forced by the "PC police" to issue an apology. She had a specific audience for that kind of "joke" and she knew they'd think it was funny.

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

They couldn't she has a financial interest in the show.

Right! Roseanne (and maybe Matt Williams?) owns these characters. They cannot be resurrected as the same people in another show without paying her. Even putting the cast in a new family comedy with different names would probably result in a lawsuit.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Rap541 said:

I can't imagine watching a show about Dan and Crystal. As much as I like John Goodman, Natalie West gets on every last nerve in my body.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 12
10 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I can't imagine watching a show about Dan and Crystal. As much as I like John Goodman, Natalie West gets on every last nerve in my body.

Same. Hard to imagine that she was only 32 years old when the series began. Her character acted older than Nana Mary. She just didn't seem to fit, at all. I can't believe she was actually in 86 episodes. I have only seen her acting in one other role, and she was odd as hell in that as well. But, she was supposed to be. Nothing against her personally, but, I never got her on Roseanne. Juanita or hell, even Sylvia would have been more fun. 

• Love 5

Spectrum is still showing Roseanne on their On Demand service.

I was remembering Jackie's comment to Roseanne in the first episode of the reboot where she told her at the dinner table, "Apparently all that weight you lost was the good Roseanne."

• Love 11
(edited)

If there's a spinoff with Roseanne being gone, I don't want Dan to get together with either Crystal or Jackie. Both of those pairings would squick me out - Crystal is the mother of his siblings, and Jackie has been like a sister to him for over 40 years. Maybe Marge Dolman, the redhead who worked at the hardware store and who Dan had sex dreams about in the original series, is still available. ;)

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 11
(edited)
2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

You actually should get paid for that.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 8