Type keyword(s) to search

Roseanne: Aftermath

(edited)
On 6/2/2018 at 8:03 PM, Neiman said:

Since the beginning and with the reboot, Roseanne was the draw for me.

I actually thought her acting and line delivery was wooden in the reboot (I watched some of the original series, but don't remember my impressions).  Followed very closely by Becky, who seemed to be delivering one line at a time with emphasis every time she spoke. Dan and Darlene were far better actors, IMO, and when they spoke it was easier to get into the show (the kids' deliveries varied, and Jackie was very good, they just made her into Barney Fife so she was a bit jarring).

I could easily see a show without Roseanne and revolving around Darlene finding herself taking her (deceased) mom's role, and Dan and Jackie adjusting to it. Don't know about paying RB for use of the characters, though.

3 hours ago, CelticBlackCat said:

What I don't understand is why she chose the person she did to post a racist comment about since Valerie Jarrett hasn't been in the news lately and the Obama Administration is over with.

Maybe precisely because of this, she thought the impact and attention would get her what she wanted and also be limited? Who would rabidly defend VJ, vs., say, any well-known and liked black actor or media figure? 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 1

I see nothing wrong with Darlene being her own person instead of turning her into her mother. Darlene was struggling in high school and look like she was not going to graduate and all of a sudden started to be an excellent writer and going off to college. The storyline probably came about because Roseanne wanted to be a writer, but she ended up getting married young and starting a family, so lets turn Darlene into the writer instead of her mom.

i would love a show around Becky. I want to know how the one Connor who got straight A's ended up being an aimless party girl, beyond just she sort of went off the rails after Mark died. It would also nice to see a single woman that was not portrayed as pathetic or desperately seeking love.

I'm joining you at the Becky table. I think there's quite a story there. 

Regarding the reboot - I'm not sure what kind of knee surgery they had in mind for Roseanne (like a torn meniscus kind where I came home the same day and was back at work in two days) or a knee replacement, but having known multiple people that have gotten knee replacements, maybe they could send Roseanne to a rehab facility and the rest of the household go on like usual. Dan could come in the house, saying "I just saw your mother in rehab, she's asking for Mallomars" (or whatever, you get the jist). It reminds me of the first go round when Roseanne (the person, not the character) was on bedrest during her pregnancy and the show went on without her. 

• Love 9

Her tweet about Jarrett must have been in response to something else, because she wrote " = vj" so who the hell would know who she was talking about, unless she had sent that as a follow up to something else? I just haven't heard how anyone knew she was taking about Valerie Jarrett. If there was no way of knowing she could have spun it to say she was talking about something else entirely, like not even a person. 

• Love 3

I thought they were doing a solid job on exploring how Lecy's Becky had gotten to where she was, but I hadn't finished the season before Roseanne self-destructed. I guess I'll finish it on, uh, dailymotion? or somewhere? at some point when I'm less pissed. Because the show was really going places before she destroyed it.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I was also wondering about her awhile back. She is still alive, & she has a theatrical credit from this year, but I thought--erroneously--that her Wikipedia page said she hadn't been active since 2010.

She has a theatrical credit on Wikipedia from this year, but (though I know she was in a Broadway show, Finding Neverland, which she apparently abruptly quit, early in its run, a few years ago) the last thing I know I've seen her in was (now repeats of) an episode of Law & Order from 1995, where she played a defense attorney to a troubled young woman, with a juvenile record discovered during the current case, who went up against Jack McCoy & his ADA, Claire Kincaid. She apparently also had a brief, recurring role as a Judge in Law & Order: Special Victims Unit during 2015.

Who are you referring to? 

28 minutes ago, Maharincess said:

Sandy Duncan. There has been a lot of talk here about how they can kill Roseanne off and just focus on the rest of the family, which is what happened when Valerie Harper was fired from her show Valerie, and they brought on Sandy Duncan and it became The Hogan Family. Someone asked if she was still alive, I said she was (she's 72 now!), and this was someone's response to me regarding her current career. 

I had some of the same questions between season 9 and the reboot seasons:  where's Andy, why was the diner not referred to (and was Martin Mull/Leon available, if it had been?)  Same with Bonnie.

I don't get the whole Twitter thing, and I really don't get posting racist remarks.  I still thought of Roseanne like she was in the 90's, progressive.  WTF did I know?

I mostly enjoyed the reboot, especially Becky and Darlene.  DJ being married to Gina, and being a veteran, also appealed to me.

Shit.  There's hardly a sitcom these days that I watch with any interest.  I'm old.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Maharincess said:

Actress Sandy Duncan, who had been brought up by at least the person I responded to. She came up in conversation as someone who'd been hired to replace another (TV) star who'd, shall we say, been unceremoniously dumped as the star of a TV show after causing problems for the producers, being disruptive on set, etc.

(edited)
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

er tweet about Jarrett must have been in response to something else, because she wrote " = vj" so who the hell would know who she was talking about, unless she had sent that as a follow up to something else? I just haven't heard how anyone knew she was taking about Valerie Jarrett.

IIRC, I think that Valerie Jarrett had been in the news about something, but I can't remember what it was.   I'm thinking that Roseanne responded to something she saw in the news.  Then again, I could be remembering this completely wrong!   

35 minutes ago, Kazu said:

ABC wants to move forward with a second reboot of "Roseanne" and we're told an announcement could be imminent.

As I've said before, I believe this ship has sailed.   Roseanne, curiosity and nothing else to watch was the draw for me to watch the reboot.  I'm just not interested in the show enough to follow it anymore.  Good luck to them if they want to try it though.  

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 2
(edited)
42 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

IIRC, I think that Valerie Jarrett had been in the news about something, but I can't remember what it was.   I'm thinking that Roseanne responded to something she saw in the news.  Then again, I could be remembering this completely wrong!   

I think it was the pending appearance of Valerie on MSNBC's town hall meeting which happened to air on the day Roseanne was canceled.

I could be wrong.

Speaking of the other Valerie (Harper), I recall she sued Lorimar and won her case after her firing from her tv show.

Edited by Kazu

If the show must go on, I'd rather see a focus on Becky and DJ instead of Darlene.  Also, I'd rather them continue with Roseanne and the rest of the family (those who want to participate) on another network or streaming service.  What Roseanne did was wrong, but I can forgive and not hold a grudge. I can understand ABC/Disney wanting to part ways to not have to deal with potential theme park boycotts/protests, but I could also understand continuing the show with Roseanne on another network.  

• Love 2

This article lays out how Jarrett's name came up (basically she's been roped in to the conspiracy theory Roseanne's all over).

As for the actual show, I wouldn't be mad at a reboot that focused on the remaining characters -- I really enjoyed adult Darlene and would be interested to learn more about DJ's family, and it would also be nice to see Becky start to move forward -- but the more the media discussion of what to do with the show continues, the less I particularly care if it does so.

• Love 2

Whatever happens regarding the reboot of the reboot, I hope Michael Fishman will be happy. I've come to admire him (and Sara Gilbert too) since this whole debacle began, especially since he had the courage to speak out against Roseanne. Poor guy. I get the feeling he was just along for the ride regarding the reboot and then Roseanne goes and blows it. 

Goodman, Metcalf, and even Goranson proved themselves to be cowards by not denouncing Roseanne's words or distancing themselves in anyway. Especially Goodman and Metcalf who didn't need the work as badly as Goranson. They were adults during the original run and knew full well what an unhinged lunatic Roseanne can be but decided to work with her anyway, and chose to remain silent, probably to avoid Roseanne's or her equally unhinged supporters wrath. Cowards. 

• Love 10
13 hours ago, Kazu said:

Roseanne reboot - announcement this week? http://www.tmz.com/2018/06/04/abc-roseanne-reboot-announcement-imminent/

ABC wants to move forward with a second reboot of "Roseanne" and we're told an announcement could be imminent.

Disappointing, if true. Unless they find a way to cut Roseanne out of all fees and residuals for her property rights over the characters. The article says they're exploring ways to cut her out but doesn't say they will succeed.

Imagine if Roseanne Barr were never an on-camera talent, but was bringing a new show to ABC as exec producer. Can you imagine ABC entering into a business arrangement with someone who tweeted what she did about Valerie Jarrett and George Soros? They shouldn't enter into a business arrangement with her now, no matter how tempting it might be.

• Love 3

I don't view the actors who didn't speak against Roseanne as cowards.

I don't see anything wrong with putting out a statement saying they disagree with Roseanne's comment (and commend them for doing so), but I felt that Sara Gilbert came across as "biting the hand that fed her."  She'd be a big nobody right now if it weren't for Roseanne.  I have no desire to watch her in anything else in the future.

• Love 6
(edited)
14 hours ago, Kazu said:

Roseanne reboot - announcement this week? http://www.tmz.com/2018/06/04/abc-roseanne-reboot-announcement-imminent/

As much fun as it is to think about a reboot I think actually having one is a huge mistake for both ABC and any actor who agrees to be on it.  I understand (I really do) how much money eveyone is losing and it isn’t fair.  I don’t hold anyone but Roseanne responsible for what happened...,,buuuuuut rebooting the show sends the wrong message when ABC actually did send the right one.    This show is dead and needs to stay that way.

And no one is a coward for not speaking against her and no one is being overly harsh for speaking against her.  Eveyone did or didn’t do what they thought they had to.  Once again the only person I hold responsible is Roseanne.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 11

I say do one season of a Roseanne less season....the 9 episode reboot season focused on Darlene and to a lesser extent Beckt...and both Becky/Darlene could provide loads of material on a reboot.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Neiman said:

She'd be a big nobody right now if it weren't for Roseanne.

That  may be true but she is Melissa Gilbert's sister so it's not like she was a regular kid who got lucky.

• Love 17

Is Sandy Duncan still alive? Be funny to cast her in the first episode of season 2 without Roseanne. Throw in a Jason Bateman cameo with his girlfriend Valerie Harper. Boys fall for women just like their mothers afterall.

Seriously though, it's sad to think there could have been another 3-4 seasons of our beloved show. Who would have EVER thought that was possible? Most classic sitcoms ever got was a reunion special.

Then again, the revival was pretty tacky. Not season 9 bad, but a solid season 8 for sure.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Gigglepuff said:

Whatever happens regarding the reboot of the reboot, I hope Michael Fishman will be happy. I've come to admire him (and Sara Gilbert too) since this whole debacle began, especially since he had the courage to speak out against Roseanne. Poor guy. I get the feeling he was just along for the ride regarding the reboot and then Roseanne goes and blows it. 

Goodman, Metcalf, and even Goranson proved themselves to be cowards by not denouncing Roseanne's words or distancing themselves in anyway. Especially Goodman and Metcalf who didn't need the work as badly as Goranson. They were adults during the original run and knew full well what an unhinged lunatic Roseanne can be but decided to work with her anyway, and chose to remain silent, probably to avoid Roseanne's or her equally unhinged supporters wrath. Cowards. 

Lecy Goranson did speak out about Roseanne's tweet.

• Love 21
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

The same would apply to many of the cast of the Cosby Show or 7th Heaven.   Does someone giving you your first big break mean you have to stand behind them regardless of their actions?  

Not asking them to stand by her regardless, but I do think Sara G's response was over the top considering what Roseanne has done to help her become more than Melissa's sister.  They don't have to defend her and it's okay to say they disagree, but IMO it's wrong to keep kicking someone who's down (as Sara did) especially since Roseanne apologized and acknowledged she was wrong.  

I don't think it's a good analogy to compare Roseanne cast to Cosby cast because he never admitted to doing anything wrong and his offenses were multiple and went on for years.  

(edited)

I don’t hold anyone but Roseanne responsible for what happened...,,buuuuuut rebooting the show sends the wrong message when ABC actually did send the right one.    This show is dead and needs to stay that way.

I agree. I can maybe envision a scenario where Darlene gets another job in Chicago and the show revolves around her, her kids, and her new co-workers and friends there, with occasional visits from her father, sister, brother and aunt. That way ABC has some way of justifying what they have to pay those actors anyway. But they probably wouldn't appear in every episode, and I don't think the ratings will be very good. 

It also will look exactly like what it is: an attempt to save money. It undercuts the move ABC made by cancelling the show in the first place. They'd sort of be back-tracking.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/5/2018 at 1:58 PM, iMonrey said:

It also will look exactly like what it is: an attempt to save money. It undercuts the move ABC made by cancelling the show in the first place. They'd sort of be back-tracking.

Not only "sort of"! The show you describe is a show that would give Roseanne a nice payday, since "Darlene" is arguably a character of her creation, no matter if "Darlene" lives in Chicago, Lanford, or Antarctica. ABC doing business again with Roseanne would be a total refutation of its moral stance.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 6
(edited)
6 hours ago, Gigglepuff said:

Goodman, Metcalf, and even Goranson proved themselves to be cowards by not denouncing Roseanne's words or distancing themselves in anyway. 

Lecy was quoted as denouncing hate speech and what it does to individuals as well as society - that's a pretty pointed rebuke. I think her statement was as classy as Michael's and Sara's.

Laurie and John Goodman have always been very private people media-wise and I doubt if they'll say much any time soon. That's the way it is. I think with people who have 30+ year relationships with former friends and colleagues we can't always expect a public performance of their regret or sorrow or anger just because, more and more, entertainment and pop culture blogs now seem to consider it required from everyone simply because their business model only works if everyone is picked apart, interrogated and made to vent their souls in public all the time, everyday. I think everyone has a right to process. If it was me I'd at the very least take my time.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 22
20 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Not only "sort of"! The show you describe is a show Roseanne would be cut in on the money of, since "Darlene" is arguably a character of her creation, no matter if "Darlene" lives in Chicago, Lanford, or Antarctica. ABC doing business again with Roseanne would be a total refutation of its moral stance.

I think doing the new show would actually be more of a rebuke to Roseanne herself, and to her new fanbase. It would be in the tradition of the original show. I don't know if it'll succeed longterm but I'm more than willing to support such a rebuke - even if it means they initially have to pay Roseanne off to go away. What lasts and matters is the work onscreen that goes to people's hearts and minds.

It's been a week. Time to move on from discussing the tweet and reactions to it. Discussion of Roseanne Barr has always belonged in another thread, and that's where some posts have been moved. This thread is where you may discuss the ongoing story: any new information around the cancellation; any new speculation and opinions about the future of the show. Thank you! 

• Love 4

The other characters besides R were interesting enough for me to want to see what a reboot without her looks like. I wonder tho will they keep the same writers? I know some people have left, and while the writing wasn't super depth or anything, they did have some funny lines.

• Love 1

I think of this reboot as a new series of it's own, I here the actors and writers are getting a foothold onto the characters they're playing and writing for.  In this case, I am so hopeful for and Andy and Jerry to be brought to life. I'm also hoping the show becomes a true ensemble cast, like Friends was. 

2 minutes ago, Colorado David said:

The other characters besides R were interesting enough for me to want to see what a reboot without her looks like. I wonder tho will they keep the same writers? I know some people have left, and while the writing wasn't super depth or anything, they did have some funny lines.

I read that even though some of the writers have committed themselves to writing for a pilot of a new show, they're willing to write for both.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/31/2018 at 8:18 PM, break21 said:

Roseanne, Goodman, Metcalf and Gilbert will be paid for a 2nd season even though it won't be produced.  They will be paid millions for doing nothing.

Just those four will be paid? Not Michael or Lecy? That’s fucked up, if true. The whole regular cast, including the kids should be. It’s not their faults at all and it pisses me off that Roseanne will still be paid, if she is going to be.

On 6/2/2018 at 6:34 PM, SparklesBitch said:

I legit just choked on my water laughing at this! I’m partial to Larlene. :) 

Dan could be Lan or Pan or Sam or Don. Jackie could be referred to as Marjorie as a nod to Bev saying that was what Jackie’s real name is. 

The possibilities are endless!! :) 

Or The Conways - Don and Roxanne Conway, like the beauty shop owner always referred to them as.

On 6/4/2018 at 6:00 PM, xwordfanatik said:

I had some of the same questions between season 9 and the reboot seasons:  where's Andy, why was the diner not referred to (and was Martin Mull/Leon available, if it had been?)  Same with Bonnie.

I mostly enjoyed the reboot, especially Becky and Darlene.  DJ being married to Gina, and being a veteran, also appealed to me.

I really wish we had gotten to see Bonnie and Leon. And learned the fate of The Lunchbox. I like to pretend Andy (and Fred!!) never happened. It’s weird they left Jerry out but I can forget he existed too.

I still want to know if Gina was THE Gina, from the school play kiss storyline or if the name was just a coincidental shoutout. I assume we were going to learn it was the same girl.

I can’t decide if I want a reboot of the reboot or not. I definitely don’t want Roseanne to profit from any of it but if she is going to get paid anyway...

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 2

I think ABC just need to let the Connors die. If the network wants the actors so much, let the creative team come up with a new concept for them. Anything Roseanne related is toxic. 

• Love 8
8 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I think ABC just need to let the Connors die. If the network wants the actors so much, let the creative team come up with a new concept for them. Anything Roseanne related is toxic. 

Too bad they can't do the same to the Bachelor/Bachelorette or Grey's Anatomy, but you know ratings and unless it's just one actor and not the main actors creating problems for the network. They just go: "Money!" I do agree, there comes a time when shows need to be let go in graceful ways, even though shows that officially do say they are going to call it whether by the network or by the main producers/writers. Feel they need to scorch earth their series in the final year or just throw whatever sticks to the wall like: Two and a Half Men, How I Met your Mother, Mike and Molly, Castle, The Middle, Will & Grace. Then just head into the sunset and go to a new series saying: "Well, we were burned out by the end." Then history repeats itself just a few years later. Here is an idea: "Don't hire them!" 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I don't know about that.  Roseanne has been a phoenix rising from the previous scandals, so this could end the same.  I hope she's able to work out a deal at another network/venue and continue the show with or without Darlene and others who may not want to work with her.

7 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Someone replied to her, saying, "Valerie Jarrett wants Israelis and Jews chased into the sea, and she'll celebrate," and Roseanne promptly retweeted it.  So, yeah.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, Neiman said:

I don't know about that.  Roseanne has been a phoenix rising from the previous scandals, so this could end the same.  

Social media is making a big difference this time.  Not just for Roseanne of course.  And as the above posts are showing it's really not even the people responding to her that are causing her problems it's the way she can't seem to stop herself.  As long as she has access to twitter and can't, it seems, put on a pair of mittens I suspect she will not be rising above anything.  She's done on mainstream TV for sure I think.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, CherryAmes said:

Social media is making a big difference this time.  Not just for Roseanne of course.  And as the above posts are showing it's really not even the people responding to her that are causing her problems it's the way she can't seem to stop herself.  As long as she has access to twitter and can't, it seems, put on a pair of mittens I suspect she will not be rising above anything.  She's done on mainstream TV for sure I think.

I disagree. I think there's an audience out there that still wants to watch her. I hope she continues with the show if a network wants to give the Conner family another chance.  

(edited)
9 minutes ago, Neiman said:

I disagree. I think there's an audience out there that still wants to watch her. I hope she continues with the show if a network wants to give the Conner family another chance

I'm sure there is still an audience out there for Roseanne, what I said was that I don't think that she will be getting a show on mainstream TV again anytime soon.  I could certainly be wrong of course but I'd be very reluctant to bet any money on it.   That said I'm sure there are other outlets outside the mainstream that might offer her a show.  She wouldn't get the audience she had for the reboot but perhaps she'd be allowed to let her real persona shine through and that might satisfy her and the audience out there who still wants to see her.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 2

No reboot announced this week...hoping that means Roseanne is working to retain control. I think the show--with Roseanne--could bring in good ratings at another network.  Maybe not as high as this last season, but good ratings nonetheless.

(edited)
4 minutes ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

She's poison. No network will take her and the actors aren't going to risk associating with her any more.

Yup.  What "Sophia" said. Also, I am D-O-N-E with Roseanne.  Wouldn't watch a single thing with her in it, or with her at the creative controls.

Edited by CatsAndMoreCats
  • Love 15

I think it would be great if they could pick up some of the writers from The Middle to work on Roseanne's show.  It was obvious at times that the ones creating lines for Frankie Heck were inspired by Roseanne.  I hope the network releases the show so it can be picked up elsewhere.  

• Love 1