Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E12: There’s Snow Business like Sew Business

Drogo
  • Start Topic

Multiple comments

Kenya's coat fabric was neither a print nor a tweed. The close-ups clearly showed it was a bulky fiber knit. I quite liked the fit of it but did not get how the outfit underneath went with the coat.

Margarita's coat was lovely. Yes, it was a camel coat but it flowed, had a pale blue trim to it and the curve on the back hem made it different from other camel coats. (And Liris wore it like a queen.) The dress was a mistake. The fur was upside down. I know she wanted the effect of fur around the neck and face but it was distracting to see and would have been distracting to ear. (You would have to brush upwards to remove a crumb for instance.) I once bought a short, sleeveless, backless, knit black mohair dress on sale that ended up being impossible to wear. If the weather or room was warm enough to wear something sleeveless and backless, the mohair would make me way too hot. If it was cold, I had to cover up my extremities.  There was a reason it was so cheap.

Leather vs fur - my philosophy is that if you are killing an animal, you need to use all of it. Some fur, like some leather, is part of that nose to tail use. Rabbits are a cheap, easily bred source of animal protein in many countries (yes, they are cute looking and sometimes are pets AND they are also considered pests). I accept the use of rabbit fur in the same way that I accept cow leather or pigskin.

• Love 10

Like so many of you have mentioned, I thought "cavewoman" as soon as Liris donned that dreck.  All she needed was a club and a bone in her hair.

My Kentaro love knows no bounds.  Kudos for him for sticking to his guns and making a design that was true to his vision.  I don't think you can ever go wrong with a neutral pallete especially if you keep it lux.  Meisha's look was EVERYTHING. 

I loved Brandon's too...cropped top and all.

Ayana.  Girl.  You need to thank Tim for stopping that white paint disaster but I wasn't fond of the black with pink at all. It reminded me of a Lady Marmalade costume (modest version, of course!). And that ill-fitting romper looked like a toddler's onesie with a full diaper.

I really liked Kenya's coat and I love her to pieces but I don't get "designer" from her.  She's a phenomenal seamstress who knows what makes women look good.  And I didn't feel that her tears were calculated.  I'm happy that she gets an opportunity to present a collection.  She cracked me up teasing Brandon about having cupcakes and coffee with his model then collecting his win.  And then wanting him to break a finger but not really.  Love her.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

The oven comparison is not really a joke. I live in the desert and when it's super hot, say over 110 degrees, when you open the door to your air conditioned house into the garage, which could reach temps of 130 degrees plus, it's feels like walking into an oven.  No kidding.  There was once a billboard in town that said, "Phoenix, It's a dry heat. . . .Like a blow touch."

I've spent a bit of time in Arizona and Nevada. when I'd talk about the heat, people back home (south) would declare, "But it's a DRY heat!" I'd always retort, "Yeah, but have you ever stuck your head in an oven?" Hot is hot. Granted, south Georgia in July is one kind of hot and desert-hot is another, but they both have me wanting to wear as little as possible. 

• Love 7
14 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

He took a fall and hit his head, had to go to the ER and get stitches. 

That has happened to him before, just before home visits, as I recall. I wonder if he gets falling-down drunk the night before he is to set out, because he just can't stand it. I am pretty sure I'm kidding. 

• Love 23
36 minutes ago, morakot said:

Margarita's coat was lovely. Yes, it was a camel coat but it flowed, had a pale blue trim to it and the curve on the back hem made it different from other camel coats. (And Liris wore it like a queen.)

In agreement about Margarita's coat.  I don't recall if she had a choice of shades of camel, but my moniter shows that as one of the prettiest I've seen in a long time.  I'd buy that coat (probably on sale at Nieman's).

Kenya's coat was a good coat, but the plaid was too large a pattern.  The colors were good for a darker skinned model, not so much for a pale brunette (me).  

The rest of the coats weren't winter coats.  They were decorative.  But not what winter coats need to be.  

What bothers me about Brandon's hanging danglies is that in a city, those would be grabbed by purse/phone snatchers who would whip the wearer around into the wall of a building. (I've had that happen just with the strap of my purse and the perp got the purse, of course.)  There are runway clothes and then there are clothes for the real world.  And there must somewhere be something of the runway that makes real world look good, but not a target.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

That has happened to him before, just before home visits, as I recall. I wonder if he gets falling-down drunk the night before he is to set out, because he just can't stand it. I am pretty sure I'm kidding. 

I'd love to hear a Santino-voiced interpretation of this story.  Complete with how he makes sure to eat at the local Red Lobster on home visits.  With or without Andrae.

• Love 17
8 hours ago, millennium said:

From what I hear, it's an island surrounded by water.  

I heard it's surrounded by so much water. It's in the middle of a huge ocean. There's no way to get there if anyone happens to need you for any reason. 

• Love 15
3 hours ago, GaT said:

I didn't think of this until today, but was Margarita's original thought to make an entire dress out of rabbit fur?

She had a piece of neon lime green fabric that was supposed to be made into a long dress with the fur on the sleeves from the elbow to the wrist.  It makes me cringe just thinking about what that would have looked like.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

I think all 5 of them will show at Fashion week but only 3 will be in the finals: eligible to win the prize. 

If they are doing the usual, "show us your three best pieces" and then only televising three full runway shows, that was a really mean to do to the designers.  I know they know that they will be showing a decoy at least, but decoys usually aren't shown in full in the finale episode.   

I think they owe all five designers to have their collections shown in the finale, even if they immediately eliminate two from the "final three."  The whole thing is dumb.

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I am the same age as Tim. Once I hit fifty, I started falling--all. the. time. Just walking along, minding my own business, and splat. I've never hit my head but my knees will never be the same. Your balance goes as you get older.

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, backgroundnoise said:
4 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

I think all 5 of them will show at Fashion week but only 3 will be in the finals: eligible to win the prize. 

If they are doing the usual, "show us your three best pieces" and then only televising three full runway shows, that was a really mean to do to the designers.  I know they know that they will be showing a decoy at least, but decoys usually aren't shown in full in the finale episode.   

I think they owe all five designers to have their collections shown in the finale, even if they immediately eliminate two from the "final three."  The whole thing is dumb.

Lots of people showing on the PR Fashion Week runway has always happened.  What Blogging Project Runway folks said (when I asked) was that it was obvious who the finalists were.  The judges made no motion to make notes on the non-competitors, and when the surviving competitors collections walked, out came the note pads and pens and the judges then and only then got busy.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, wings707 said:

@ElectricBoogaloo.  I agree with your entire post.  

Margarita's dress was not finished in the back.  In any other season that would have been an elimination right there.  Why did they want her in the finale so badly to overlook this?  

I prefer to see them choose 2 for fashion week and have another two fight for the 3rd spot.  Brandon's comment, "what the fuck?" was my reaction too, when he heard all of them had to present 2 items next week and the 3 will be chosen at that point!  This baffles me.  So next week is just a repeat of this one.  All of them are fighting for the 3 slots again! 

Seems like they make up the rules as they go.  Fur/no fur.  How many go to fashion week and how they get there.  Standards for judging garments.  The rules seem to change week to week, season to season. 

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:
  15 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

He took a fall and hit his head, had to go to the ER and get stitches. 

When I first saw that I thought he got hurt fencing.

Regarding Margarita's Island. I thought it was amusing how she always said 'an island' even Brandon said Margarita's from 'an island', like all islands are hot, what about Vancouver Island Iceland? I know we know she comes from Puerto Rico but why not just say that instead of 'an island'?

• Love 10

Brandon's, besides same-old same-old, was butt ugly to me. Just a mess. Looked like he randomly chopped up a bunch of muslin, coated his model in a thin coat of glue, and threw the scraps all over her. Too much randomness. Too much assymetry. And doggie poo colored.

Hated Kenya's plaid. I inherited a skirt/vest combination from a cousin back in the 70s that was a slightly smaller scaled version of this plaid. Even though I usually loved my rich cousin's hand-me-down boxes this outfit went straight to Goodwill.

Liked Ayana's more than I expected. Even Margarita's wasn't as awful as I thought it would be when I heard it described before I saw the show. Not good, but not hiddy. The coat was nice. The only coat on the runway I'd wear/purchase.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

Seems like they make up the rules as they go.  Fur/no fur.  How many go to fashion week and how they get there.  Standards for judging garments.  The rules seem to change week to week, season to season. 

Fur free PR has been in effect since 2011.  Tim made it clear to Josh Christensen in S9.  Don't worry if you don't remember him because I had to look it up and still don't remember him.

Very ironic for Margarita to be the culprit.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I am the same age as Tim. Once I hit fifty, I started falling--all. the. time. Just walking along, minding my own business, and splat. I've never hit my head but my knees will never be the same. Your balance goes as you get older.

I hear you. I'm 64 and my balance is weird sometimes. I was kidding about Tim but I do think the timing of two falls is a little funny. Not the falls themselves; the timing ?

14 minutes ago, gingerormaryann said:

Fur free PR has been in effect since 2011.  Tim made it clear to Josh Christensen in S9.  Don't worry if you don't remember him because I had to look it up and still don't remember him.

Very ironic for Margarita to be the culprit.

Orange Josh?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Miss Ruth said:

She had a piece of neon lime green fabric that was supposed to be made into a long dress with the fur on the sleeves from the elbow to the wrist.  It makes me cringe just thinking about what that would have looked like.

Makes me cringe, too - which is why I wish Tim hadn't talked her out of it.    Although it's hard to imagine it being much worse than the faux-fur rug she produced.

• Love 6

Thank you! I did remember that PR has been fur-free for ages, but couldn't remember how I knew.

The idea of a crop top in snowy weather just irritates me. If he had added another layer of a silk cami I would have been fine with it. The muff pouch just looked to me like a faux beer belly. If that is the coming thing in fashion, I'm happy to be a fuddy-duddy.

Ditto with Kentaro's shorts. I just don't see the point of long-in-front-short-in-back. Is it supposed to draw attention to a part of the body long ignored by fashion? ("This year's highlight is the back of the knee!")

Katie Holmes' "cold shoulder" dress just reminded me that I'm tired of seeing that particular style, and it looked stupid alongside a snowy runway.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Desert Rat said:

Yes and right on the spot!  Heidi: Brandon, you are going to fashion week.  How does that make you feel?  sheeeeesh

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Cyranetta said:

Katie Holmes' "cold shoulder" dress just reminded me that I'm tired of seeing that particular style, and it looked stupid alongside a snowy runway.

Since someone on this site pointed this out a few weeks ago, I am seeing it EVERYWHERE (on TV, not IRL). Yes I am tired of it.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Yes and right on the spot!  Heidi: Brandon, you are going to fashion week.  How does that make you feel?  sheeeeesh

I don't think that came as a surprise to Brandon; however, I do think he was surprised when no winner was announced.  I wouldn't care to bet he thought he had it in the bag after Kentaro was sent off the runway.

Edited by Miss Ruth
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Miss Ruth said:

I don't think that came as a surprise to Brandon; however, I do think he was surprised when no winner was announced.  I wouldn't care to bet he thought he had it in the bag after Kentaro was sent off the runway.

He was shocked.  In his TH he said, what the fuck?

• Love 2

Margarita went to the Rhode Island School of Design.  If she earned a degree there I would have to imagine some of her time in Providence would have included cold weather, the need for warm clothing, and exposure to  appropriate fabrics for the season.   Then the cherry on top of her bullshit this episode was confronting the others who did not choose her as a finalist.  Shut up you annoying twit!  That Clan of the Cave Bear costume deserved a departure, not a further extension of her time in the competition.   My favorite part of the episode was the audible grunt from Zach when Liris turned around to show the back of that "dress".

Ayana seemed guaranteed a slot in the finale because this show loves to show how PC/diverse they are, but I think she has also demonstrated that she deserves to be there based on her skills.  Still, that weird jumpsuit she created was hideous.  It looked like a Bowie costume.   Kenya is an adequate seamstress.  She doesn't seem to bring anything new to the table and she makes some questionable decisions that have trended toward unflattering as well.  She totally loses me with the waterworks and I had my fill in this episode when she went into the starving artist speech.  The guys are a little too one-trick-pony, but they have skills and their models usually look good wearing their clothes which is not something which can be said for most of the others. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, cheewhiz said:

I'm your neighbour to the east and we would PRAY for -5 in February when it's -40. 

Another neighbour to the east, here. It's minus 5 today and I am out and about in a light hoodie (or should I say bunny hug!)

I will be pissed if Brandon, Kentaro  or Ayana don't make it to fashion week because of Margarita. The face off should only be between Kenya and Margarita for a 4th place. Last night's show was basically all for nothing.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, morakot said:

Leather vs fur - my philosophy is that if you are killing an animal, you need to use all of it. Some fur, like some leather, is part of that nose to tail use. Rabbits are a cheap, easily bred source of animal protein in many countries (yes, they are cute looking and sometimes are pets AND they are also considered pests). I accept the use of rabbit fur in the same way that I accept cow leather or pigskin.

I don't have a problem with rabbit fur (not that I would wear it) - I imagine the rabbit meat goes to pet food.  And people food.  If you go to an old-fashioned butcher in the UK, you're likely to see (skinned) rabbits hanging up.  Plenty of places in Portland, Oregon, selling it to not-as-squeamish-as-they-used-to-be Americans.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I don't have a problem with rabbit fur (not that I would wear it) - I imagine the rabbit meat goes to pet food.  And people food.  If you go to an old-fashioned butcher in the UK, you're likely to see (skinned) rabbits hanging up.  Plenty of places in Portland, Oregon, selling it to not-as-squeamish-as-they-used-to-be Americans.

yeah, I'm kind of with you on that. I was given a lovely down coat by my MIL many years ago with a ruff of rabbit around the hood. I like the coat, and wear it, though I wouldn't have bought it myself. 

• Love 2

Ugh, I'm so over the Tim Gunn save. When he was justifying Margarita's unfinished dress by saying that she didn't expect for Liris to take off the coat? Unacceptable.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, gingerormaryann said:

I must have missed that season entirely.  JC has the exact same name as a much-loved member of my family, so I'm sure I'd remember him if I'd ever seen him.

11 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Katie Holmes appearing as a guest judge on Project Runway 2017 made me wonder if her career has been faltering. 

Did she have a career after Dawson's Creek?  I know she was in the first Dark Knight movie but then she married Cruise and basically retired.   The only thing she seems famous for now is escaping Cruise's clutches and dating Jamie Fox (ugh -- I can't stand Jamie Fox).

• Love 3

I had just assumed that PR would be fur-free.  Never heard it was, but I just assumed that it was and that the designers would assume the same thing.

Loved how Nina justified keeping Margarita by saying that 'everyone loves a classic wrap coat.'  Hmm, wasn't the challenge to be fashion forward?  If so, how did a cave-dress and classic wrap coat met the challenge?  If she gets in the finale and someone else (who I feel is more deserving) is eliminated it would be a farce.

I can't believe that Kentaro and Brandon have to re-compete in order to move forward to fashion week.  I loved their outfits, and, apparently, so did the judges.  Why compete again?  Oh yes, to potentially save someone who otherwise would not have qualified to show at fashion week.  I can't figure out if they're trying to save Margarita or Kenya.

I just wanted Margarita to be quiet!  Her incessant confessionals were just too much.  Too much self-pity while at the very same time too much self-congratulations.  And, she was like a 12-year old..."nobody picked me..."

I'm hoping that Kentaro, Brandon, and either Ayana or Kenya are the ones who show at fashion week.

Oh, and I was surprised that Katie Holmes was only introduced as an actress.  Didn't she have a clothing company and call herself a designer at one time?  I believe that Tom bought her the company during their marriage.  Guess the design career also didn't work out...

Edited by seacliffsal
just one more thing...
  • Love 7
33 minutes ago, Brookside said:

And people food.  If you go to an old-fashioned butcher in the UK, you're likely to see (skinned) rabbits hanging up.  Plenty of places in Portland, Oregon, selling it to not-as-squeamish-as-they-used-to-be Americans.

Oh its definitely much more visible. My son went to culinary school from 2012-14. He learned to cook (and eat!) rabbit there. It turns up on high end Italian restaurant menus pretty frequently. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Oh its definitely much more visible. My son went to culinary school from 2012-14. He learned to cook (and eat!) rabbit there. It turns up on high end Italian restaurant menus pretty frequently. 

That was in the Sopranos.   Artie Bucco shoots a rabbit in his garden and serves it in his restaurant. 

21 hours ago, Gypsyfish said:

At least she had a coat over it. I kept thinking Kentaro's model would have awfully cold legs! Some tights would have fixed that. 

I have several pair of fall/winter shorts (wool/corduroy/etc.) I wear with sweater tights and over-the-knee boots. Honestly, they're (almost) as warm as pants. But bare knees/midriff and sandals? Nope!

• Love 6

Mood sells fur and leather because it is a fabric store! In NYC!

I didn't care much for any of tonight's offerings.  Brandon Yada Yada. Kentaro's was beautiful fabric and color but too much! Ayana's jumpsuit was meh.  Kenya's huge plaid was fat-making. But not nearly as much as Margarita's hideous Faux Sasquatch dress. 

Margarita will not move on because she had to be "saved," and her taste level seems to have plummeted. Kenya will not move on because Heidi hates crying,  never mind that Kenya was, as TG said,  the show's "bridesmaid." I'd add more,  but nobody here has indicated they saw the Tim visits that I did. 

Remember when the last outfit on the Finale Runway was always a gown or other up-scale design? Brandon cannot deal.  Ayana can,  as can Kentaro.

So that is my order of finish,  in reverse. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 6

Kenya seems to have a 70's-80's vibe which is fine except she does not really modernize her stuff. The blue power dress, this awful plaid, both items I can recall from decades past just as she showed them. 

The judges are making asses of themselves for the sake of "drama". They go against everything they had insisted upon for the first ten or so seasons, i.e not duplicating looks, unfinished or sloppy garments, evidence of bad taste and/or no point of view, dated looks, etc

HOW ARE MODELS ASSIGNED??? WHY IS THIS NO LNGER TRANSPARENT??

• Love 6
20 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

You know what I love?  A "muff" tied around my pelvis like a waitress apron, so I can roll it up to prevent frostbite to me belly button.  To keep it in place, I will tie the "handbag" around my waist.

Did anyone else feel the mad need to attack Brandon's coat with a lint brush?  

Oh my God, Yessss!  I couldn't believe that they "ignored the little pills of lining that were all over the coat.  Ye Gods and little fishes, if it had been Kenya or Ayana, they would have pointed it out on the runway and kept pointing it out during the close up.  But then again, it IS Brandon, so maybe they figured that it was part of the overall look of the coat.  Myself, not being a fashionista, thought it was a weak take on a duffel coat, attacked by a pack of rabid dobermans.  But he IS a nice guy, so I'll give him a pass

• Love 6
20 hours ago, Passing Strange said:

Margarita went to the Rhode Island School of Design. It's in Providence, which averages 36 inches of snow a year. She's seen winter.

Me too! LOL!

I actually moved back to RI after a 20-year detour to Texas. Honestly, how much snow RI gets is determined by how close to the coast you live (we're surrounded by water on 3 sides). I live about 15 minutes from Providence, in Warwick, and we get a big snow storm every three years or so. Other than that, not a whole lot of accumulation.  Same with Providence.

My sister lives 45 minutes away in Mystic, CT. She gets the same storms we do (actually, they tend to hit her area first) - but she gets considerably more accumulation AND it lasts a lot longer.

20 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

<snip>

Did anyone else feel the mad need to attack Brandon's coat with a lint brush?  

Yes. But then I thought - I *could* blame it on the cat!

18 hours ago, PrincessSteel said:

Liris looked like a tribble. 

More like a wookie to me, but YMMV. LOL! 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ichbin said:

Margarita went to the Rhode Island School of Design.  If she earned a degree there I would have to imagine some of her time in Providence would have included cold weather, the need for warm clothing, and exposure to  appropriate fabrics for the season.   Then the cherry on top of her bullshit this episode was confronting the others who did not choose her as a finalist.  Shut up you annoying twit!  That Clan of the Cave Bear costume deserved a departure, not a further extension of her time in the competition.   My favorite part of the episode was the audible grunt from Zach when Liris turned around to show the back of that "dress".

Didn't she also say in her TH, "These M-Fers"? Jesus. 

• Love 2

FYI:  Brandon had Lyris in the first challenge and was in the top 3, then he had Kenya's model from this week twice (and won with her once-I don't recall where he placed the other time).  Kentaro made that beautiful night gown for Lyris and was in the top 3, so I know he has it in him to design for larger women (maybe it was easier because it was loose and flowy?).  I don't know why it was an issue the last time. 

I grew up in Northern Vermont and would wear crop tops Brandon's outfit, except for maybe the jacket. 

I don't know if in this day and age I would even consider buying real fur on a reality show. 

Didn't she also say in her TH, "These M-Fers"? Jesus.

Yes, @Tabbygirl521, she did indeed.  I'm kind of done with her, too.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Cindyluwho said:

The face off should only be between Kenya and Margarita for a 4th place. Last night's show was basically all for nothing.

There isn't going to be a fourth place.  Heidi said two people will be eliminated next week.

PR should have quit playing games and just culled one or two more before next week.  

"No one picked me!  No one picked Margarita!"  Way to be awkward and creepy.  If you wanted to be picked you should have made better clothes.  Speaking of which...

That fur ooonga-boonga caveman dress should have sent Margarita home.  The wrap coat with the blue and bits of fur peeking out the top looked fine but the whole dress made of fur, and cheap fake fur at that?  Really?  That extra five minutes was wasted.  Plus she shouldn't have been given forgiveness for the gaps in the back, either you construct a garment right or you don't.  

• Love 11

PR is cruelty free. This doesn't just mean "no fur."  Or"sustainable."  It means that there is a consideration for life. No animal wants to willingly be butchered for any reason.  The brutality involved in skinning rabbits is horrifying.  The rabbit is alive when flayed -- stripped of its skin. And then left to bleed out.  No sentient being, animal or human, should suffer this fate, esp. for the sake of fashion.

Gucci will be fur free in the next year. Stella McCartney carries vegan goods (which are priced higher than leather equivalents.) Puffy coat with down like  alternatives are warmer than fur, and a great design challenge. Interesting that most went with a melton wool of some sort.

Margarita's faux fur  had texture and ironically, life.  The rabbit skin was flat and... dead.  Her casual complaining over how not being able to use something more expensive is sorta gross -- YMMV.

Her super complaining over how none of the other contestants wanted to bring her to fashion week and then  cussing them out  speaks volumes. 

When Heidi said she deserved a "second chance" I was thinking, uhm, she had one, the Tim Gunn save, remember?   

Note: 

In the late 90s,  Gianfranco Ferre made whole collections using both fake and real fur and plumage in coats, gowns and the like.  He said  one could  hardly tell where the faux and the real met each other.  Earlier times of course.

I used to work for a designer  during that period who told me that ANY designer could take $200  a yard of fabric, lace or fur and make it look good. The challenge was in making   a dollar and fifty cent  a yard goods look great.  

Faux fur has come a long way. At Mood, you can find goods that  have more fashion appeal than any skin ever could.  

• Love 8