Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E12: There’s Snow Business like Sew Business

Drogo
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, sarasue59 said:

Oh my God, Yessss!  I couldn't believe that they "ignored the little pills of lining that were all over the coat.  Ye Gods and little fishes, if it had been Kenya or Ayana, they would have pointed it out on the runway and kept pointing it out during the close up.  But then again, it IS Brandon, so maybe they figured that it was part of the overall look of the coat.  Myself, not being a fashionista, thought it was a weak take on a duffel coat, attacked by a pack of rabid dobermans.  But he IS a nice guy, so I'll give him a pass

I am pretty sure that what looked like lint was the effect Brandon achieved by crinkling up the waxed cotton. Not 100% sure, though.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Quilty said:

So how many designers are going to fashion week? This is ridiculous. Everybody's a winner!!! 

All 5 will show at Fashion Week, but only 3 will be judged and shown on TV. The others were only there as decoys. 

4 hours ago, ichbin said:

Margarita went to the Rhode Island School of Design.  If she earned a degree there I would have to imagine some of her time in Providence would have included cold weather, the need for warm clothing, and exposure to  appropriate fabrics for the season.   Then the cherry on top of her bullshit this episode was confronting the others who did not choose her as a finalist.  Shut up you annoying twit!  That Clan of the Cave Bear costume deserved a departure, not a further extension of her time in the competition.   My favorite part of the episode was the audible grunt from Zach when Liris turned around to show the back of that "dress".

Ayana seemed guaranteed a slot in the finale because this show loves to show how PC/diverse they are, but I think she has also demonstrated that she deserves to be there based on her skills.  Still, that weird jumpsuit she created was hideous.  It looked like a Bowie costume.   Kenya is an adequate seamstress.  She doesn't seem to bring anything new to the table and she makes some questionable decisions that have trended toward unflattering as well.  She totally loses me with the waterworks and I had my fill in this episode when she went into the starving artist speech.  The guys are a little too one-trick-pony, but they have skills and their models usually look good wearing their clothes which is not something which can be said for most of the others. 

I think it's disingenuous to say someone (a black, Muslim woman) was destined to be in the finale due to the show wanting to be "PC".  Especially when you mention that she is skilled enough to be there on merit.  It's just unnecessary and also apropos of nothing.  Fashion is a diverse industry and frankly, Project Runway does not need to strive to be "PC" to show that.  I have never felt that PR elevated anyone in order to be politically correct.

• Love 20
5 hours ago, Brookside said:

If you go to an old-fashioned butcher in the UK, you're likely to see (skinned) rabbits hanging up.  Plenty of places in Portland, Oregon, selling it to not-as-squeamish-as-they-used-to-be Americans.

Many places in New York City, many in Los Angeles where I grew up - anywhere in the country you have a good-sized immigrant community for that matter.  Which these days - is a lot of the country.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, AudreyHorne said:

I think it's disingenuous to say someone (a black, Muslim woman) was destined to be in the finale due to the show wanting to be "PC".  Especially when you mention that she is skilled enough to be there on merit.  It's just unnecessary and also apropos of nothing.  Fashion is a diverse industry and frankly, Project Runway does not need to strive to be "PC" to show that.  I have never felt that PR elevated anyone in order to be politically correct.

Tim Gunn wrote a column in the Washington Post saying he felt Ashley Tipton won as the result of what he called tokenism.

He was very far from the only one with this opinion.

https://www.thewrap.com/project-runway-tim-gunn-season-14-winner-ashley-nell-tipton-hideous/

• Love 13
5 hours ago, rlc said:

Ugh, I'm so over the Tim Gunn save. When he was justifying Margarita's unfinished dress by saying that she didn't expect for Liris to take off the coat? Unacceptable.

Completely unacceptable! Do you remember the days when Tim would chastise the designers for that kind of crappy lack of finishing, and remind them that the likes of Nina and Michael Kors would not put up with that?

• Love 11
4 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

I actually moved back to RI after a 20-year detour to Texas. Honestly, how much snow RI gets is determined by how close to the coast you live (we're surrounded by water on 3 sides).

Yes, but Margarita lived on a RI with a virtual 4th side of water, so it was obviously tropical.

• Love 3

In regards to Katie Holmes as the guest judge, she had a clothing line with her friend called Holmes and Yang for five years until she had to give it up due to being a single mom and focusing on her career. Katie has been acting and directing the past few years. She acted and directed a Kennedy’s mini series, directed an independent film All We Had, starred in Ray Donovan as well as the recent film Logan Lucky and the upcoming Ocean’s Eight. She’s been plenty busy. I give PR props for choosing someone who at least has some fashion industry experience after having recent guest judges who had little to no connection to fashion. 

• Love 17
On 11/2/2017 at 11:21 PM, RedheadZombie said:

You know what I love?  A "muff" tied around my pelvis like a waitress apron

I love it too! (Cuz that's where you keep the little 'roo!  In your fashion pouch! ; )

Would have liked  Margarita's  coat if the model was naked under it. 

The coat had a pretty silhouette/lining/swing, so naked underneath would have been a big step up   -- give Liris that faux fur neckline and call it a day (anything to avoid that homonculus crouching on Liris's ass).

• Love 3

I know I'm late to the show, but better late than never. 

In the game of "Who would you want to have dinner with..." Tim Gun is always a choice of mine. If it ever happened though, I might have to give him a tongue lashing for saving Margarita. What in the world was he thinking, subjecting his loyal fans to more whining, self-serving drival, and hand wringing than any of us have ever seen in our collective life? Tim, I'm so disappointed in you. 

As for Zac, the man needs glasses if he couldn't see what Margarita's POV was after all her Halloween costumes. Get it Zac? Costume, costume, costume! Even the novice fashion student could see that.

Heidi? Whie putting sandals with a winter outfit is a silly decision, especially from someone who lived in a cold weather state like Utah, Heidi is the last person to criticize. How many times has she been photographed wearing skimpy, leg baring outfits in the cold weather? Tons. Then again, she also makes questionable choices even in warm weather. Someone needs to get used to the fact that she's getting older and things that looked appropriate 20 years ago, don't anymore. That being said, I'd kill for her body.

Nina was the least offensive she's ever been. Wow!

When this show began, a designer who showed an unfinished outfit on the runway would have been blasted by the judges. Now they make excuses and exceptions? Would they be as accepting if that outfit had been made for them?

• Love 8
On 03/11/2017 at 2:59 PM, vibeology said:

And minus 5, not that cold. Everyone was being so dramatic but what do I know. I'm just a Canadian. I did think it was strange that a NYC bar was measuring temperatures in Celcius. 

*snort*  We get colder than that in winter where I live in 'sunny' Australia.  Then the windchill factor makes it even colder!  I also was confused that an American establishment was using a temperature I understood!

Margarita's look was just beyond fug!

• Love 4
12 hours ago, sarasue59 said:

Oh my God, Yessss!  I couldn't believe that they "ignored the little pills of lining that were all over the coat.  Ye Gods and little fishes, if it had been Kenya or Ayana, they would have pointed it out on the runway and kept pointing it out during the close up.  But then again, it IS Brandon, so maybe they figured that it was part of the overall look of the coat.  Myself, not being a fashionista, thought it was a weak take on a duffel coat, attacked by a pack of rabid dobermans.  But he IS a nice guy, so I'll give him a pass

More like rabid sheep, but I get your point.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Bebecat said:

I know I am wasting my breath...faux drama wins every time

Or should that be fur drama?   LOL

19 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

The oven comparison is not really a joke. I live in the desert and when it's super hot, say over 110 degrees, when you open the door to your air conditioned house into the garage, which could reach temps of 130 degrees plus, it's feels like walking into an oven.  No kidding.  There was once a billboard in town that said, "Phoenix, It's a dry heat. . . .Like a blow touch."

Where I live in 'sunny' Australia our summer has at least 5 weeks of mid 40-degree temperatures ..... and it is super humid!  So disgusting.  Then, as I mentioned in an earlier post our winter is colder than -5 degrees (then colder due to wind chill factor).  

If only I could sew or design or lived in America I'd be a shoe-in for PR,  At least I understand the extremes of temperature!

• Love 3
14 hours ago, dleighg said:

Katie Holmes' "cold shoulder" dress just reminded me that I'm tired of seeing that particular style, and it looked stupid alongside a snowy runway.

Australia went mental for the 'cold shoulder'.  For our winter just past we had 'cold shoulder' jumpers..... all warm and fuzzy wool but nothing on your shoulder.  In -5 degree temps I don't need frostbitten shoulders!

• Love 4
14 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

I actually moved back to RI after a 20-year detour to Texas.

whoa, we're practically neighbors, @TwirlyGirly! I live outside Boston; my son went to culinary school at JWU--I visited Providence many times. My friend's daughter went to URI and she lives and works in Providence now. A friend of mine from my hometown in Massachusetts retired to Bristol, where she keeps bees, among other things. Its an awesome place! 

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 2

After watching the rerun, I was even more impressed with Kentaro's work.  When Meisha took the coat off, the top and pants were so chic and completely adorable together and when it was on, it was a superb editorial look.  Ironic that Nina correctly noted that his design last week was a black blob that was uninteresting from ever angle, this week, he made something was interesting from every angle.  I believe him when he said his inspiration was Meisha and he wanted to make something she'd like because he grew so close to her.  If she were his model for the entire season, we might have seen more consistency from him because she was clearly his muse.  However, I still have to give the victory to Brandon for a completely spectacular look.  Nina had to search for something negative to say so she picked on the purse he made, but when Tim says your option is the JC Penney accessory wall, if you have the time, hey, make a matching purse.

And since this was a two day challenge, both Kentaro and Brandon stepped up their work.  For Margarita to send something that unfinished down the runway was not acceptable, but again, burnout has started taking its toll.  Even though Brandon is accused of sending the same thing down the runway each challenge, she appeared to not even have their vision to do that.  You could easily identify the other designers' work but not Margarita.

• Love 17
17 minutes ago, gingerormaryann said:

You could easily identify the other designers' work but not Margarita.

When I think of her "vision" all I can imagine is a flirty frilly sundress. Something you can buy at any store in the country. She hasn't shown any consistency at all.

• Love 3

Tim Gunn sternly informing Margarita that the show is Fur-Free made my animal lover's heart swell with even more admiration for him. The faux fur dress was very Flintstones-inspired (someone had to say it!) and might have barely looked okay on Betty Rubble. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, ThinkerBell said:

Tim Gunn sternly informing Margarita that the show is Fur-Free made my animal lover's heart swell with even more admiration for him. The faux fur dress was very Flintstones-inspired (someone had to say it!) and might have barely looked okay on Betty Rubble. 

Tim feels very strongly about the cause as evidenced by this video.

If Margarita used Kenya's leopard scarf as inspiration, she could have replicated Fred Flintstone.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Brookside said:

I don't have a problem with rabbit fur (not that I would wear it) - I imagine the rabbit meat goes to pet food.  And people food.

17 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

It turns up on high end Italian restaurant menus pretty frequently. 

Any decent German restaurant will have (yummy tasty) hasenpfeffer on the menu.

16 hours ago, Bebecat said:

HOW ARE MODELS ASSIGNED??? WHY IS THIS NO LNGER TRANSPARENT??

The designers who were picked to win in the second episode got their favorite models.  Kenya got Jasmine, so I guess they like her too.  Liris and Margerita was doomed from the start -- Liris is as over Margerita as the rest of us.  I don't know why Anaya got the bitchiest model on the show.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Lemur said:

I'd be really nice if Brandon and Kentaro designed clothes for actual people and not characters from Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts.

There would be so little of this show if the majority of the designs were things that were practical and wearable for the average person. Not to mention no Avant Garde  or unconventional materials challenges.

17 hours ago, Cindyluwho said:

Another neighbour to the east, here. It's minus 5 today and I am out and about in a light hoodie (or should I say bunny hug!)

It is pretty standard for those going out to wear a coat and then as little as possible underneath. Winter nights out in Montreal are always a fight between style and practicality.

44 minutes ago, ThinkerBell said:

I think Margarita's could have worked if she used the faux fur for a top and then made much more chic pair of pants or perhaps a black skirt.

If they are going to be so high and mighty about fur they shouldn't patronize establishments that perpetuate the practice of selling fur. 

• Love 8

I was thinking that Margarita was actually on the bottom, below Kenya, but the producers felt it would be unfair to eliminate her for Tim's mistake.  Tim gave her 5 extra minutes to replace the fur, but to compensate for the omission, she should theoretically have gotten 30 minutes to redesign her look. Since they couldn't do that, they made it non-elimination.

Kenya's tears shouldn't have come as any surprise.  She has always been emotional and nervous on the runway.

My 13 year old daughter thought both Kentaro' s and Brandon' s garments were impractical for winter, and that Tim would make a great C3PO in the next Star Wars movie.

• Love 5

The no fur rule was in place since 2011, Season 9.  As we learned with the Claire situation, rules are set out with the contestants and if Margarita didn't know, that was her problem.  She did not deserve any special consideration, although I felt it was fair to give her more time to shop.  On the other hand, she deserved no extra time to sketch since it was her oversight.

• Love 4

Interesting find on Wiki.  They have a table of the models progress and eliminations this season.  Turns out Meisha has been with the winning designer six out of ten episodes.  That doesn't even count the last episode in which she arguably would have been with the winner but they didn't name one.  Jazzmine, on the other hand, has been with the losing designer three out of ten episodes.  Only one other model has as many losses, and she's long gone.  And only one of the models left for the final (Christina) has a single win, and she only has the one.  So, bottom line,  it seems there is no rhyme or reason for how the models advance to the next round that I can see.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Any decent German restaurant will have (yummy tasty) hasenpfeffer on the menu.

The designers who were picked to win in the second episode got their favorite models.  Kenya got Jasmine, so I guess they like her too.  Liris and Margerita was doomed from the start -- Liris is as over Margerita as the rest of us.  I don't know why Anaya got the bitchiest model on the show.

That model is super annoying. She seems to think everything needs to be to her taste. 

• Love 6
20 hours ago, bibblebop said:

PR is cruelty free. This doesn't just mean "no fur."  Or"sustainable."  It means that there is a consideration for life. No animal wants to willingly be butchered for any reason.  The brutality involved in skinning rabbits is horrifying.  The rabbit is alive when flayed -- stripped of its skin. And then left to bleed out.  No sentient being, animal or human, should suffer this fate, esp. for the sake of fashion.

I'm actually quite traumatized right now, reading this, crying.  And so very glad I've never worn rabbit fur or eaten a rabbit.

• Love 5

I haven't been watching this as regularly as I usually do, and I missed this episode as I was out celebrating my birthday and forgot to dvr it.  In fact, I have forgotten to record it all season so I guess it has really ceased being must-see tv for me.  I don't have a fav and I missed the episode with the twins although I came here to read about it.  My question about the cheating is--would it have been discovered if they had not had an instrument (tape measure/ruler) to use.  The reason I ask this is because my husband is a bit of a handy man around the house and he actually will use his hands to measure things if he doesn't have access to his tape measure. Or maybe that would have been to complicated for them.   So I guess  all the remainders will show at fashion week, but only 3 will be competing.  I am not sure I really care at this point.  I  sorta like Ayana.  The editorial design Brandon came up with recently (the one that had millinial (sp?) pink) looked to me like what a fencer would be wearing after a very loosing bout.  My parents were stationed in San Juan, and one of their friends was transferred to the Miami area where he thought he would freeze to death.  Next week is home visits?  I will try to tune in for that; I usually find those very interesting.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Miss Ruth said:

When I'm away from home and need to measure something, I use a piece of US paper currency.  They're six inches long.

{scurries off to measure}  Well, aren't you the smart one! It sure is and I never knew that! But I'm glad you didn't tell the twins!

• Love 11
23 hours ago, Brookside said:

Tim Gunn wrote a column in the Washington Post saying he felt Ashley Tipton won as the result of what he called tokenism.

He was very far from the only one with this opinion.

https://www.thewrap.com/project-runway-tim-gunn-season-14-winner-ashley-nell-tipton-hideous/

Ayana isn’t Ashley.  Ayana has been one of the more interesting designers this season.   She’s had a couple of misses, but I’ve enjoyed seeing her stretch her wings a bit here late in the season.  Kenya and Margarita have sort of run out of ideas or steam.  Ayana by contrast rose to the challenge.   Brandon is a different issue entirely.  He make well made clothes but is just cranking out variations on a theme, except for the safety gear unconventional challenge.  Kentaro also stays fairly tightly in his lane. I really wish he’d stretch a bit.  

• Love 10
4 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I'm actually quite traumatized right now, reading this, crying.  And so very glad I've never worn rabbit fur or eaten a rabbit.

Rabbits killed for meat don’t go through what was described, that’s what was happening in fur mills in China.   For meat, or in places that have laws or veterinary guidelines, its usually cervical dislocation (a pull or jerk to break the neck) or a bolt to the head.   

• Love 7
On 11/3/2017 at 5:42 AM, wings707 said:

There will only be 3.  Next week they all present 2 looks from their collection and the 3 are chosen.   Heidi telling all of them they were going to Fashion Week was not true.  

I don't have it recorded any more to check, but at some point during the judging I realized they were not going to eliminate anyone that night because I thought I heard Heidi say something like "you will be designing a collection for Fashion Week", as opposed to "you will be showing a collection at Fashion Week". That tipped me off to the "everyone do a collection, we'll decide later" before they said it outloud. So I was not at all surprised when they confirmed it at the very end.

But since we already know there are always decoys, even if I imagined that language distinction there's an element of disingenuousness to the conversation anyway. I think a major possible difference here is they give the still-in-the-competition designers $10k budget for the collection. I don't know if they normally give the decoys the same budget (I'm guessing no) or if the decoys get some lesser amount or basically pull their decoy collections from stuff they already have ready. Assuming decoys do not usually get budget from the show to create the decoys, then the benefit here to the five is they're all getting real budget for the collections (and you know, still have a chance to win) but if they still show their decoy now created with substantial budget, if it's remotely good, that's nice additional exposure for them. So bonus.

• Love 1

Until someone upthread mentioned it I really didn't realize how very Star Wars Brandon's clothes are. I could picture Rey in everything he makes.

I also hate Margarita.

• Love 2

I really hate the home visits lol...will prob skip most of that. Might watch Kentaro's bit though. Just the phone calls home, the personal drama does not grab me, there are soaps for that. Wonder if Brandon's furniture is all cut up,with pieces hanging down though.

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, terrymct said:

Rabbits killed for meat don’t go through what was described, that’s what was happening in fur mills in China.   For meat, or in places that have laws or veterinary guidelines, its usually cervical dislocation (a pull or jerk to break the neck) or a bolt to the head.   

In American agricultural businesses where money and productivity are paramount,  animal welfare is at best, referential. 

According to the AVMA, (veterinary guidelines) neither the captive bolt method nor dislocation by itself  are  humane methods of slaughter, the practice only being as good as the practitioners' skill.  When the method is off or misses,  nobody is saying "hey, we missed one that seems to be still alive, how to best handle?"  The  process continues down the line.

I'm very thankful that segment made it to air. It's a step in the right direction when Runway shows that fashion needn't be harmful to be relevant.  

YMMV. 

• Love 3
On 11/3/2017 at 5:42 AM, wings707 said:

There will only be 3.  Next week they all present 2 looks from their collection and the 3 are chosen.   Heidi telling all of them they were going to Fashion Week was not true.  

Well, don't they all show at fashion week with some as decoys?   The decoys just don't get shown on the show.  

On 11/3/2017 at 5:17 PM, Miss Ruth said:

There isn't going to be a fourth place.  Heidi said two people will be eliminated next week.

I thought she said something like, "we can only guarantee three of you will show at Fashion Week", which to me means it could be 3, 4 or 12?

I like Margarita.   

On 11/3/2017 at 8:21 PM, GreyBunny said:

"No one picked me!  No one picked Margarita!"  Way to be awkward and creepy.  If you wanted to be picked you should have made better clothes.  Speaking of which...

And so what if they didn't, right?  What I loved about the moment was that the designers were being honest and were not willing to back down to be fake or please an insecure, needy person.  I'd rather people be honest to my face than not. That's why I thought it was such an interesting moment.

Like I said, I really like this cast.  Brendan is getting a big head but the judges are certainly trying their damndest to give him one, Margarita is a pain in the ass and the Twins were ridiculous, but all of that said (LOL) it's one of the easiest casts to watch.

I was copying old seasons for my Mom and I COMPLETELY forgot last season.  Remember Erin, how she kept saying "like" four times a sentence?  Oh my god.  That almost killed my will to live.  And yet, I totally forgot about her.  

This is a good cast.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

I don't know if they normally give the decoys the same budget...

By the time NYFW rolls around, PR is still filming the season, so they allow all the designers who are still in the competition at that time, to make a collections.  They all show at FW, but the final judging for the show cannot be done until all the challenges are complete, and the final three (or four) are determined.

3 hours ago, Miss Ruth said:

By the time NYFW rolls around, PR is still filming the season, so they allow all the designers who are still in the competition at that time, to make a collections.  They all show at FW, but the final judging for the show cannot be done until all the challenges are complete, and the final three (or four) are determined.

I think it's actually slightly different.  By the time NYFW rolls around, PR is in the middle of *showing* the season, but they've already filmed all the challenges.  Anyone whose elimination hasn't already aired at the time of NYFW has been sent off after the final challenge to make a decoy collection, but they already know who the final three or four are.  The final judging is made right after the collections are shown at Fashion Week, and everyone associated with PR is contractually sworn to silence.  That's why they have decoys, to fake out all the people at NYFW who aren't contractually sworn to silence.

4 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I don't know if they normally give the decoys the same budget (I'm guessing no) or if the decoys get some lesser amount or basically pull their decoy collections from stuff they already have ready.

I seem to recall that they get a budget, but it's lower than the finalists receive.  IIRC, Austin Scarlett was annoyed to find he had to make a decoy collection, but with less money.  There would be no incentive for someone who knows they're not going to win not only to have to make a collection that won't be shown on TV, but have to pay for it out of their own pocket.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Well, don't they all show at fashion week with some as decoys?   The decoys just don't get shown on the show.  

I thought she said something like, "we can only guarantee three of you will show at Fashion Week", which to me means it could be 3, 4 or 12?

I like Margarita.   

I did think her wording was ambiguous.  I suspect they might be worried that they aren't going to get 3 good collections so are leaving it open.  

Yes they all show there but we only see the final 3 on the show.  Or 4 or 5!  Lol

On 11/3/2017 at 7:15 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

she was told she wasn't allowed to buy fur

I'm sure this was mentioned in the official rule book. You know, the one that says not to bring a tape measure back with you to the hotel so you can measure your tank top.

• Love 5

Heidi's words were, "Congratulations you are moving forward to fashion week."  

There it is.  Sneaky wording and clearly disappointing.  They all thought it was going to be final 5. 

They all know about decoy collections, of course, but they all wanted to be a contender.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2