Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E12: There’s Snow Business like Sew Business

Drogo
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Marmiarmo said:

Call me crazy, but Brandon's look was actually adorable.  And I liked Kentaro's and Ayana's, too.  I'm not convinced Kenya's was great, but holy hell...Margarita's is a joke up there!

E.X.A.C.T.L.Y. my thoughts.  

This is one of my favourite casts. I could tell by the fact that I didn't fast forward this episode which I do every single year because I can't take the sob stories and the "Who would you bring?".  Not this time. I listened to every single one.  

I have nothing against Margarita personally - totally understand how she rubs people the wrong way - BUT I really thought her outfit was a joke today.

I didn't love Ayana's but that's a matter of taste.  She's very talented and she's super creative with prints and colour.

I wish both Kentaro and Brandon used more colour but it's almost like they're designing colour-blind -- they're men, after all (LOL!) -- so obviously there's a huuuuuuuge market for that.  Most people only want to dress in neutrals and are too afraid not to.

Everyone I know wears a black winter coat and it bores me to tears!  I purposely find winter coats in other colours because I can't stand it.  I guess I should be happy they didn't use black.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 9

Am I the only one who thought Margarita's coat looked like a fancy hotel bathrobe?

Katie Holmes please lose the tacky shoulderless blouse.

Heidi - not a good hair style. 

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 18
4 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Am I the only one who thought Margarita's coat looked like a fancy hotel bathrobe?

Katie Holmes please lose the tacky shoulderless blouse.

Heidi - not a good hair style. 

Nope, my first thought was “bathrobe” when it hit the runway. Coupled with the fancy bath mat dress, her look was definitely serving a specific look, but it definitely wasn’t the elegant or expensive one she was intending. 

• Love 19

This is the 16th season, & tonight was the first time I have ever heard it mentioned that they don’t allow fur.

I liked Brandon’s & Kentaro’s, didn’t like Ayana’s, & I liked Margarita & Kenya’s coats, but not the outfits underneath

I knew they weren’t going to eliminate anybody, nobody was bad enough to eliminate.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I live in Minneapolis ("where it's cold and I figure I'll keep better") I've been downtown many times in my sensible down coat, scarf, hat, and mittens and I've seen young women in short skirts, light tops, heels, and no coat at all. 

Which was me, far too often (with MAYBE a fingerless lace glove for my chapped raw Dickensian hands) during my university days in Montreal (where it was very very cold -- and I did keep better :)  I'm glad they're all going, but I'm glad for them as people, not because anything they've designed has grabbed me as must-see fashion -- guess that says everything about my downward arc with Project Runway. 

~wondering if nordly's entrance exam was on a book of matches

Edited by film noire
  • Love 7

I spent a few winters in Prague, Budapest, and Slovakia. I was always bundled up in a hat, scarf, snow boots, and winter coat. Even in my good boots with good traction, I still slid all over the cobblestones in the old towns. And then there were the local girls...all but skipping along in their mini skirts and high heels. I was impressed. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Scorpiosunshine said:

No one said she was lying, but Margarita knows what "cold" means.  Puerto Rico does not exist in a vacuum and neither does Margarita.  She went to fashion school (!!!) in RI. She's seen movies. She's been to fabric stores, fashion shows, etc. She knew enough to pick fur!!  (My stepmother, step-sister, etc are Puerto Rican -- they are not totally oblivious to Winter.)

I've never lived in the desert, but I have an oven*, I've read a lot of books and seen a lot of movies set there, and I've been hot. I would at least know what NOT to wear there. 

If I were trying to be a fashion designer, I'd do my best my learn about all different kinds of clothing styles: menswear, summer wear, winter wear, streamlined, Boho, formalwear, etc. etc. If I were going on Project Runway, I'd sure as heck practice working on a variety of fabrics. 

*It's a joke. Kind of. 

• Love 21

Okay,  I'm  confused. 

When did it become the SOP to have running commentary here in Real Time? I thought posting began after the show ended,  EST.

Anyway,  who didn't see the Finale 5 for the Collections coming?

I saw a later show with Tim visiting Ayana and then Kenya to check and comment on their collections. Anyone else see this mini-episode?

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Is Margarita making a dress for Wilma Flintsone? But you know she's from an island and doesn't make winter clothes. (How many times has she said this)? Staaawp! 

Wilma and Betty were invoked here at Hacienda Millennium too.

I don't mind Margarita at all.   But she looks like she's aged about 7 years in the last two weeks.

Brandon's canvas coat looked like an old stuffed armchair repurposed. 

Edited by millennium
  • Love 9

I have missed challenges like this. Simple. Straightforward. "It's cold. Make a winter look." or "Here's New York. Use it as your inspiration." or "Here's a storage unit full of crap. Make something." or "Here are a group of Drag Queens. Make them an outfit."

I can't STAND what the show has become. "We're taking you on a King Kong ride at Universal and we want you to make a look inspired by King Kong." What? Or "Here's this obscure kids' movie about dance. Watch fifteen minutes of it and then make a outfit inspired by movement." (That challenge still confused the hell out of me.)

I own seasons 1-8 on DVD and own many more episodes through Amazon and the way this show has fallen, it's almost upsetting and it shows to me that I have way TOO much invested in it. But tonight's challenge. I got on board immediately. 

And ugh, Margarita. You're just not a good person. 

• Love 12

During the list of prizes for the winner, they always mention the winning model.  So, I guess the models go to fashion week too.  How is it decided which designer (and I use that term loosely) gets which model for fashion week?  And do the designers know this when they're doing their designs at home?

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, DallasGypsy said:

During the list of prizes for the winner, they always mention the winning model.  So, I guess the models go to fashion week too.  How is it decided which designer (and I use that term loosely) gets which model for fashion week?  And do the designers know this when they're doing their designs at home?

Ha!  They would have to know the size of their model before they design their collection but how they assign them, I don't know.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

And did you know MargarIta is from an island? 

...and one that people never leave even for short visits and never watch TV or movies where seasons might be represented.

She should have gone home this week.  She should have gone home last week, as well.

What does Brandon have to do to face even a little criticism?  He's doing variations of the same outfit week after week.  He's the male version of Anya, except that he can sew.  I don't get it.   Brandon said that he could see his outfit on a woman out and about in Park City or a similar ski resort.  I've been in Park City in February.   That woman would freeze, even just walking from the car to a restaurant.

• Love 14

Am I the only one who thought that Margarita's dress made her model look like Wilma Flintstone? I...didn't like it it, got tired of her whining and thought that her inclusion in the semi-final five was yet another drama driven choice.

Okay, I wrote the above without reading any other comments and so see I'm not the only one with the same observation--I stand by it, however. Okay, maybe Betty Rubble....

Edited by Beden
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, njbchlover said:

It was obvious from probably Week Two that Brandon was the fair-haired boy and picked for fashion week at that point.  I don't really like most of his stuff, it seems repetitive and too androgynous for my personal taste, but I did like this last look of his.  Curious, though - does anyone know how many times Brandon has had a larger sized model compared to the other designers?  It just seems to me that he hasn't designed for the larger girls too often, and that worked in his favor for his design aesthetic.  

I was wondering the same thing as I watched last night.  I don't think Brandon's had a plus model all season.  

• Love 4
8 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

I absolutely HATE it when people cry about how this is so important because there life sucks so hard. Sorry Kenya I don't care about your life story. This show is a chance to get name recognition not a golden ticket to be rich and famous. This should enhance their lives not be the chance save them from being broke and homeless. 

Kenya turned me off when she turned on the waterworks.  Everyone has a dream and has worked hard and has sacrificed to some extent.  If I were a judge, the tears would have made me less likely to vote for her instead of more likely.  And I like Kenya as a person and as a designer.  I just hate when people on reality shows tearfully exclaim, "But you don't know how much I want this, how much I've sacrificed, yada yada yada," like they deserve the prize because they went through so much. 

That's why I hate those sad back stories on The Voice.  For heaven's sake, just sing. 

• Love 13

@ElectricBoogaloo.  I agree with your entire post.  

Margarita's dress was not finished in the back.  In any other season that would have been an elimination right there.  Why did they want her in the finale so badly to overlook this?  

I prefer to see them choose 2 for fashion week and have another two fight for the 3rd spot.  Brandon's comment, "what the fuck?" was my reaction too, when he heard all of them had to present 2 items next week and the 3 will be chosen at that point!  This baffles me.  So next week is just a repeat of this one.  All of them are fighting for the 3 slots again! 

7 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Katie Holmes appearing as a guest judge on Project Runway 2017 made me wonder if her career has been faltering. 

.  She was a good judge, I liked her comments.  She said Margarita's dress looked like a first draft and it did.  Katie hasn't done a movie in a long time so maybe.  

15 minutes ago, millennium said:

From what I hear, it's an island surrounded by water.  

Big water! 

• Love 20
14 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Katie Holmes appearing as a guest judge on Project Runway 2017 made me wonder if her career has been faltering. 

LOL!  Had similar reaction as a rule the guest judge spot is reserved for either people I've not heard of, vapid models or D-List celebs. The only other reason I thought she might be there was that she had a new movie coming out, but didn't see any commercials indicating that.  

• Love 3
7 hours ago, cdp73 said:

I was wondering the same thing as I watched last night.  I don't think Brandon's had a plus model all season.  

Weeks One, Two, and Ten he did.  Three times out of eleven.  (Because I don't count the real woman episode...the models are fair game, the others are not.)

Now, Brandon is definitely a one way monkey, but at least in his case, I like the direction!

ETA:  And Margarita has had a plus sized model exactly twice in 11 episodes.  If anyone is interested...Weeks Five and Twelve.

Edited by Marmiarmo
  • Love 10

I haven't read the thread yet but am so frustrated right now while watching this - these judges are so full of it - here's Brandon with another crop top - they comment on the hat, the layering but no one comments on her belly hanging out in 30 degree temperatures. WTH. Can we be more obvious on the Golden Boy image? Even the other contestants are fed up with it. When will media learn that when you continue to push your agenda - there is going to be backlash as you won't let people make their own choices. This can reflect negatively on Brandon in the future if he meets up with someone who wonders if he would have made it on his own if not for the constant push from producers.

I like Margarita's coat as far as the color but I'm not thrilled with the dress.

I loved Ayana's coat - I think it's cute - not so much the outfit.

I love Kenya's coat!!!! As soon as I saw the material I loved it!

Kentaro and his model are wonderful - I loved the outfit and wish I was 40 yrs younger so I could wear it.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, vibeology said:

And minus 5, not that cold. Everyone was being so dramatic but what do I know. I'm just a Canadian. I did think it was strange that a NYC bar was measuring temperatures in Celcius. 

I had the same thought! I'm from Alberta. -5? Shorts weather. 

• Love 11

Cop out not getting rid of Margarita - 5 for fashion week - in the old days wasn't it just 2-3. Thrilled to see what Kentaro will put out but not looking forward to seeing Brandon look - I'm over it - I think Ayana's collection will be well liked due to the PC atmosphere - but again I'm over it - not sure if Kenya can stay away from the Peplum - I'm over it and have no idea what Margarite will come up with.  Maybe it's time for Project Runway to move on - come up with a new concept - I actual liked the Accessory Project Runway

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:
8 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

I absolutely HATE it when people cry about how this is so important because there life sucks so hard. Sorry Kenya I don't care about your life story. This show is a chance to get name recognition not a golden ticket to be rich and famous. This should enhance their lives not be the chance save them from being broke and homeless. 

Kenya turned me off when she turned on the waterworks.  Everyone has a dream and has worked hard and has sacrificed to some extent. 

I agree but factor in--certainly at this late stage of the competition--that these people are all stressed and sleep deprived, have been  tossed through a number of various hoops and  separated from friends and family, their support people.

I tend to also be annoyed but cut them some  slack...as I roll my eyes.

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, tessat said:

Cop out not getting rid of Margarita - 5 for fashion week - in the old days wasn't it just 2-3.

There will only be 3.  Next week they all present 2 looks from their collection and the 3 are chosen.   Heidi telling all of them they were going to Fashion Week was not true.  

• Love 3

So if my hands got cold while I was wearing Brandon's outfit, I would have to open up the coat in order to warm my hands in the muff.

Well, after a quick look at Brandon's menswear, I'm relieved to learn that he doesn't put the male models in crop tops. Although that may be the only difference between his designs for men and his designs for women.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, pheebs said:

I'll take Kentaro's top and coat and wear it with Kenya's trousers.

I'd weat Brandon's coat with jeans and a cable knit fishermans sweater.

Ayana's had a 20's gangster meets 80's video background girl look. Not great, but at least different?

Margarita's was so, so, awful. Hideous. And getting docked for using fur? Not surprised when fur is so politically polarizing. I wouldn't have even consider it, even if the show has no problem with leather.

I've always explained it thus to the truly vegan crowd - the reason most people don't have trouble with leather is: We have a dairy industry. Half the cattle born are male, and of no use for the dairy industry. So therefore, we have a beef industry. The hides of beef cattle are a by-product of the beef industry. So, not many dairy or beef consumers have a problem with using the by-products of these two lucrative industries.

So, I tell my vegan friends, (who naturally oppose these industries) that only through total veganism will stop the use of leather.

But most people oppose fur because it's not the thrifty use of a by-product. It's killing for one part of an animal, wasteful, and often cruel,therefore most people find it distasteful.

To me either it's killing all animals is bad or it's not.  I'm a meat-eater, but meat is not necessary to sustain human life just like fur isn't.  There's no justification for leather vs fur.  Chris Rock once pondered why Michael Vick was in jail while Sarah Palin was sniping wolves from helicopters.

I thought three were going to fashion week, so I would have picked Brandon, Kentaro and Ayana.  If I had to choose a fourth, it's hard to say.  Although Margarita is very hit or miss, I think she makes more interesting clothes than Kenya.  Kenya's strong suit is that her clothes are wearable and well-made, but may not be as high fashion.  I probably would go with Margarita.  

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, justawatcher said:

Reminder of why Margarita is still there:

she won the JC Penney challenge with that shirtwaist dress. Hers is likely the only collection they could mass produce for a JC Penney style customer. Brandon may not pull this off...

This is a perfect explanation for why this show has deteriorated and will continue to.

• Love 5

I haven't liked Kentaro now for 3 weeks in a row and this week they gave him a win!  Even if he technically completes what he is doing to a good standard I don't think he has been that inventive or interesting for a while.  Ayana had a pretty boring dress, but they magically forgot about that rather quickly.  I also thought that the coat of Kenya didn't really go with what was underneath, and there wasn't really anything that interesting.  Brandon's top was probably the best part for me, but I'm tired of hearing all the praise for him, he still keeps within a narrow style.  We're all supposed to find him charming apparently but he comes across as quite smug now.  Margarita didn't completely finish but had something more for the runway than some others there.   

Not interesting reading the hate for Margarita so I haven't.  I also don't understand why they asked the designers who should go with them, they'll pick their friends.  And as all season we had to hear the models' opinion all the way through as well. 

Edited by amazingracefan
  • Love 3

Wish we knew how models were assigned.

I like being able to comment throughout show. So many things come up...:)

Seems like since M was going to be "saved" from her own bad taste again, they went ahead and showed her at her worst. Maybe the producers don't much like her lol. She came off as extremely childish, ungracious, and just plain unlikable, IMO. Also I just can't see going for real fur these days, rules or not. It is the next best thing to forbidden in fashion. A fake fur coat can be cute if made by a talented designer. Even a fake fur collar. Her coat was nothing. Judges stressed "fashion" and praised this most basic, bland piece. She was lucky fur wasn't allowed and she was forced to make the coat, but no one made her do that hideous dress. 

• Love 7