Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E12: There’s Snow Business like Sew Business

Drogo
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, leighdear said:

They can just use Lyris for all of the looks of all of the designers in all the finale shows.  Nobody else seems to be given a shred of attention except for her.  (Except Kentaro can use what's-her-name that speaks Japanese, just because.) 

"What's-her-name" is Meisha and she's won 6 out of 10 challenges, something PR fans have noted.  And she won with five different designers, so there's that as well.

• Love 7
50 minutes ago, gingerormaryann said:

"What's-her-name" is Meisha and she's won 6 out of 10 challenges, something PR fans have noted.  And she won with five different designers, so there's that as well.

Excellent point, as I was making.  Lyris seems to be the only one the judges single out as an exception and able to show the clothes well.  Maybe because she's plus-size, or was in a Kanye video, I see them kissing her ass constantly and it's annoying to me. 

I actually knew Meisha's name, I was just being snarky about the short shrift all the other models are getting.  I think they're working as hard as Lyris, they just aren't as mouthy on the runway. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 6

PR fans have been touting Meisha for a while and she's even started showing up a bit in mainstream media.  The difference in approach is Liris shows herself off, Meisha shows off the clothess.  Liris is about Liris and Meisha is about the designer.  It's obvious why people gravitated towards her because she does have a magnetic TV personality.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, gingerormaryann said:

The manner, the teeth, the eyes, the brain, and that adorable squat she did to show off Kentaro's uneven shorts! I hope her folks are gloating all over town. Tyra needs a new model coach for ANTM!

BTW, (Bad idea?), Are the Models going to be part of the reunion show for this season?

• Love 2
21 hours ago, leighdear said:

Despite all the tongue-baths Lyris has been given by the judges, I honestly think she looks harsh and snotty most of the time.  I don't get "regal" or "like a queen". To me, she comes off as if everything is about HER and there's never been anybody as fabulous. The clothes should take 2nd place to her.  I'm am NOT a fan.

Hear!  Hear!

• Love 1

I actually have a waxed canvas barn jacket I ordered from Orvis years ago, and it's awesome. Warm and waterproof, plus it looks cool.  It's a dark caramel color, but it has those whitish creases and weathered spots like on Brandon's jacket.  I would kill for his version.  

I agree, I want his coat!  I love waxed cotton.  

They can just use Lyris for all of the looks of all of the designers in all the finale shows.  Nobody else seems to be given a shred of attention except for her.  (Except Kentaro can use what's-her-name that speaks Japanese, just because.)  Despite all the tongue-baths Lyris has been given by the judges, I honestly think she looks harsh and snotty most of the time.  I don't get "regal" or "like a queen". To me, she comes off as if everything is about HER and there's never been anybody as fabulous. The clothes should take 2nd place to her.  I'm am NOT a fan.

I agree.  

• Love 1
19 hours ago, leighdear said:

Lyris seems to be the only one the judges single out as an exception and able to show the clothes well.

Yet folks are snarking at her for doing this better, or, more noticeably than the other models. Models were asked to comment in this season and I, for one, don't fault a sister for leaning in and NOT minding "her place".

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Eulipian 5k said:

Yet folks are snarking at her for doing this better, or, more noticeably than the other models. Models were asked to comment in this season and I, for one, don't fault a sister for leaning in and NOT minding "her place".

Her "place" is a model, not a judge. 

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Eulipian 5k said:

Yes, they were asked to comment in front of the "model mirror". And that's okay, because it's separate from the judging. That should be all we hear from the models, but Liris, also comments on the runway -though unlike the other models she sometimes gets asked, which isn't even needed since her expression makes it perfectly clear if she doesn't like it. I still don't get why it's even a factor during the judging how she feels in her clothes, it's not what it's about and even if it is, no other model seems to considered, it's just Liris.

And what I found especially weird was her thanking the judges when they said something positive about the design. What for? She didn't design and sew it...

• Love 4

In a reality TV universe where a Models rule, (ANTM, American Beauty, & Heidi Klum's Proj Run), hearing a model's opinion about how clothes make them feel is not out of line. At least they have spent years in the fashion industry. Have you seen the judges this year? Why did their opinions matter more than a football player's? A model was asked to wear a fire hose (ouch! scratch!) and a fake fur, Quest for Fire, bath mat, and she sold them! No snark, no eye roll on the runway, she just sold them. I'd rather hear from a model in the Fashion Industry than the opinions of a Dixie Cup.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

Yes, THIS.  Models are not "walking hangers", they are real people.

Their jobs are to be walking hangers, not TV personalities. No one ever said models weren’t people. Everyone is a person. The job of a model is to wear the clothes and walk in a manner to show off the clothes. Their job is not to have their feelings considered when the designer is making the clothes. I mean, I don’t consider my accountant’s feelings when I drop off my tax documents. Her job is to do my taxes. I like her, but she doesn’t expect me to even mention her feelings. That would be weird.

Dixie was paying for the design. That means their opinion mattered. When the models are the customers, when their roles change, then their opinions matter.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Their jobs are to be walking hangers, not TV personalities.

On this season of PR, they are personalities.  They are being told to talk about the designs.  Maybe next season, they'll be quiet, but this is what the show is doing this season.  Blame the show, not the models.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, jhlipton said:

On this season of PR, they are personalities.  They are being told to talk about the designs.  Maybe next season, they'll be quiet, but this is what the show is doing this season.  Blame the show, not the models.

My point was that the value of the opinion of the Dixie representative, a paying client, holds more value than the opinion of a model. I am also always bothered by all, "X are people too!" statements. As I said, my accountant is a person. The nail tech is a person. The lawncare staff at the office are people. Just because they are people doesn't mean that every opinion they have is valuable or appropriate to consider. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

My point was that the value of the opinion of the Dixie representative, a paying client, holds more value than the opinion of a model. I am also always bothered by all, "X are people too!" statements. As I said, my accountant is a person. The nail tech is a person. The lawncare staff at the office are people. Just because they are people doesn't mean that every opinion they have is valuable or appropriate to consider. 

Strictly speaking about the entertainment value of this show, for the less serious fashionistas among the viewership, the models’ commentary has added some levity that I’ve enjoyed. Even though they are professional human hangers paid to be seen and not heard, I’ve often wondered what models really think about some of the get-ups they have to wear. I’ve gotten a kick out of some of their honest reactions to the outfits they’ve been assigned on this show; plus it's fun to hear another insider’s take on how things go down on PR.  I think the models have at least been more genuine in their comments which has been refreshing when compared to the judges. I hope they keep the model commentary as part of the show next season (assuming there is a next season).

• Love 3