Type keyword(s) to search

The Lonely Js Club: Jana, Jason, James, Jackson & Johannah

Message added by Scarlett45,

Discussing the charges against Jana is fine, but do not post any information that reveals her address/contact information- even if said documents are public (i.e. a part of court proceedings.)

Discussing charges against Jana is NOT a jumping off point to speculate on other instances abuse/neglect etc towards the M-children or to elaborate on Josh's conviction and potential victims.  

• Start Topic

RNs supervise LPNs. In a long term care facility LPNs supervise CNAs. There’s a chain of command everywhere! 

Some hospitals are fazing out CNAs, and LPNs are taking on that role.

I still want to know if Abbie is actually employed as a LPN!!!

Back in the day I was an aide in a personal care facility. I took a course to become a med tech. So in addition to the usual aide duties, I dispensed meds. That didn’t make me a nurse, but that’s what the residents referred to me as.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, ginger90 said:

RNs supervise LPNs. In a long term care facility LPNs supervise CNAs. There’s a chain of command everywhere! 

Some hospitals are fazing out CNAs, and LPNs are taking on that role.

I still want to know if Abbie is actually employed as a LPN!!!

Back in the day I was an aide in a personal care facility. I took a course to become a med tech. So in addition to the usual aide duties, I dispensed meds. That didn’t make me a nurse, but that’s what the residents referred to me as.

I became an RN at the age of 23.  I worked with a male CNA who was 21.  My patients would call him "doctor".  Lol.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I became an RN at the age of 23.  I worked with a male CNA who was 21.  My patients would call him "doctor".  Lol.

Maybe people assume it's safer to assume the most formal designation?  For example, when in doubt I've known people to call anyone to whom they're writing at a law firm, "Esq.", on the assumption that they're all lawyers; when once you get to know the firm, they realize/are told they've in fact been addressing a paralegal or a mailroom clerk thus.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, queenanne said:

Maybe people assume it's safer to assume the most formal designation?  For example, when in doubt I've known people to call anyone to whom they're writing at a law firm, "Esq.", on the assumption that they're all lawyers; when once you get to know the firm, they realize/are told they've in fact been addressing a paralegal or a mailroom clerk thus.

Possibly, but I think were being sexist.  There was a male and a female, so the male had to be superior.  Let me add that my 21 y/o CNA looked no older than 18.

• Love 23
On 7/11/2018 at 8:21 PM, Catfin said:

She’s wearing jeans! 

But then put a modesty layer under her T-shirt. Which did not need it. Ugh.

((The Duggars have made me detest the sight of camisoles.))

She looks just like Jana, back in her home perm days. A little bit creepy that she's JD's chosen one. Although, she was probably chosen by JB, and JB likes creepy.

• Love 5

I don't know, the coca cola shirt is pretty damn low cut. I would wear something under it, the boobs would be hanging out without it. It's got a really wide and deep scoop, look at where her necklace is in comparison to the dip. 

• Love 16
8 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Possibly, but I think were being sexist.  There was a male and a female, so the male had to be superior.  Let me add that my 21 y/o CNA looked no older than 18.

I worked 31 years in a hospital where over half the doctors were female and nearly half of the nurses were male.  Yet patients frequently assumed male staff were doctors and female staff were nurses!

• Love 11
1 hour ago, louannems said:

I worked 31 years in a hospital where over half the doctors were female and nearly half of the nurses were male.  Yet patients frequently assumed male staff were doctors and female staff were nurses!

That doesn't surprise me in the least. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, louannems said:

Same is true with professors; I'm a woman with a Ph.D. and yet I was always called "Mrs." even after telling students to please use either "Dr." or "Professor" (not to mention I'm not married!).  Meanwhile, males regardless of degree or marital status were "Dr." or "Professor" automatically. 

• Love 16
9 minutes ago, Fosca said:

Same is true with professors; I'm a woman with a Ph.D. and yet I was always called "Mrs." even after telling students to please use either "Dr." or "Professor" (not to mention I'm not married!).  Meanwhile, males regardless of degree or marital status were "Dr." or "Professor" automatically. 

Same here, except mine use “Miss” even though I AM married! Some students are pretty nasty about it, too, like women need to get over themselves and stop being so “bitchy” about titles. What really doesn’t help is when a male colleague chimes in with “yeah, who cares about titles? Only people who are egotistical or insecure make a big deal out of being called Dr.!” Ugh. Luckily for the Duggar women they will never have this problem... ?

• Love 10

Wow, JD looks to be in a really good emotional space.  Finding his person seems to bring out the smiles.  He's not just the designated pilot/constable/chaperone anymore.  

And I love that she's rockin' the skin-tight jeans.  Hopefully indicating a young woman with some independence and a good sense of her worth as something other than just breeding stock. 

• Love 8
(edited)
12 minutes ago, leighdear said:

And I love that she's rockin' the skin-tight jeans.  Hopefully indicating a young woman with some independence and a good sense of her worth as something other than just breeding stock. 

She was raised Gothard, just like JD. She may have been taught better day to day living skills than the lazy sloppy Duggar kids, and I would like to think that she lacks their special brand of Duggar arrogance. Her family may not have been as self-isolating as the Duggars, and she obviously had the skills to be accepted in, and complete, a one-year course of nursing training. But at the end of the day she was raised Gothard and is marrying a guy raised Gothard and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if old Bill himself is at the wedding.

I hope JD and whatshername Abbie are happy together, but I have no expectations they will leave the cult.

Edited by Jeeves
I remembered her name.
  • Love 8

He seemed sweet with her in that video--and happy. Love looks good on him!

Time will tell, but I think JD is going to treat Abbie well, and  be ok with Abbie wearing what she wants, as well as limiting her family.  I think he had a good friendship with Zach Bates, and I think Zach is the same way.

• Love 2

First: Happy for JD.  He looks really happy.  He has a better work ethic than any of his siblings, and I am glad that Abbie has some education and a real job.  And she wears jeans!  

Second: I can relate to the male/female doctor/nurse discussion.  DD is almost 30, but still gets carded regularly.  She just finished her Internal Medicine residency, and despite wearing a white coat with her name and "MD" displayed prominently, she was constantly called "nurse", "hey girl", etc.  Lots of  "I want to ask the doctor", followed by "I AM the doctor". She says the biggest challenge she faces is getting people to believe she is, in fact, a doctor.

• Love 12
24 minutes ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Same here, except mine use “Miss” even though I AM married! Some students are pretty nasty about it, too, like women need to get over themselves and stop being so “bitchy” about titles. What really doesn’t help is when a male colleague chimes in with “yeah, who cares about titles? Only people who are egotistical or insecure make a big deal out of being called Dr.!” Ugh. Luckily for the Duggar women they will never have this problem... ?

Yes I hate that!  People always think I’m younger than Inam, so they never use the title Dr. for me.  But they also assume my much older male colleague is in chargw when I’m the lead person. It’s so annoying. Chauvanist jackasses!

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, zenme said:

Time will tell, but I think JD is going to treat Abbie well, and  be ok with Abbie wearing what she wants, as well as limiting her family.  I think he had a good friendship with Zach Bates, and I think Zach is the same way.

So agree!  Zach's daughter just turned 2 and there is no sign of a sibling on the way.  Plus he has a real job, and his wife works part time at least.  Hopefully JD will lead a similar life.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, louannems said:

There was a riddle on All in the Family forty years ago.  It still stumps people today:

A man and his son are in a car accident.  The son is wheeled into the OR and the surgeon says - I can't operate on this child, he's my son.  Who is the surgeon.

People still say:  He's the step-father, he's the bio father, etc.  When the obvious answer is the surgeon is his mother.  Last I heard more than half of medical students are female.  It's slowly changing, but it's changing!

• Love 16
(edited)

I probably have mentioned this before... I grew up fundie lite and have attended 2 handfuls of Gothard seminars.  I also grew up Southern Baptist though, and since the 5th grade when the whole female world broke into pants in public have never ever worn dresses as a way of life.  I wear skirts occasionally now, or dresses (especially in summer in public as they’re cooler and I live upper middle Georgia - just north of hell).   In the winter I’m a sweats or leggings kinda girl.   I know the Duggs are a whole nuther level of sainthood than I ever was.  I can’t remember if I was made to wear dresses to the seminars.   I think I was 12-13 when I went the first time.    The first year was just intense, and I can see how people got sucked in to stay.  (No, really!!).  The second year was an exact replica of the first.  The seminars were 6 days, late nights during the school year the first few, and pricey. The venue was huge for that kind of gathering - anyone remember the Omni in Atlanta?   Nuclear fundamentalism.  The third year, I balked a little, knowing I was bound to memorize some lines this time (I’m not kidding, he said the EXACT same lines with the EXACT same delivery every.single.year) - but I met the cutest so-not-fundie guy that year, so SCORE!  (I guess he was on some sort of house arrest or maybe probation).  But that was also the year I already knew more than any adult in my life.  The next few years were actually kinda fun - but only because I was a kid and had made a circle of friends I joined up with every year, not because of Uncle Bill.  

I guess I should amend this to say my mom and I were fundie lite.  My daddy was raised Amish and definitely would have preferred a little less bucking and a whole lot more compliance.  If it hadn’t been for my South Georgia Mama, I’d be sporting some crunchy Michelle hair and frumpers this very minute.  Until the day he died, we teased him with “you can can take the boy out of the Amish, but...”.  Also, we always got such a BANG out of people who pronounce it with a long A (AA-mish) rhyming with Hamish.  We’d say to him, “Daddy, your A-mish is hanging out”.

Disclaimer: I’m not fundie anything anymore.  It wore off.

Edited by Happyfatchick
I’m not sure fundamentalism is a word and it still looks wrong.
  • Love 22
4 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

I don't know, the coca cola shirt is pretty damn low cut. I would wear something under it, the boobs would be hanging out without it. It's got a really wide and deep scoop, look at where her necklace is in comparison to the dip. 

Not to mention a lot of t-shirts are damn near paper thin. I have a few from Target that are so thin, you can practically count my freckles through them. I always wear them with a tank or another tee. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Heathen said:

Not to mention a lot of t-shirts are damn near paper thin. I have a few from Target that are so thin, you can practically count my freckles through them. I always wear them with a tank or another tee. 

The reason they're called "Tissue T's".  I have a few also and never wear them singly.  It's a style choice millions of non-fundy females make every day.  She gets a pass from me. 

• Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, Happyfatchick said:

I probably have mentioned this before... I grew up fundie lite and have attended 2 handfuls of Gothard seminars.  I also grew up Southern Baptist though, and since the 5th grade when the whole female world broke into pants in public have never ever worn dresses as a way of life.  I wear skirts occasionally now, or dresses (especially in summer in public as they’re cooler and I live upper middle Georgia - just north of hell).   In the winter I’m a sweats or leggings kinda girl.   I know the Duggs are a whole nuther level of sainthood than I ever was.  I can’t remember if I was made to wear dresses to the seminars.   I think I was 12-13 when I went the first time.    The first year was just intense, and I can see how people got sucked in to stay.  (No, really!!).  The second year was an exact replica of the first.  The seminars were 6 days, late nights during the school year the first few, and pricey. The venue was huge for that kind of gathering - anyone remember the Omni in Atlanta?   Nuclear fundamentalism.  The third year, I balked a little, knowing I was bound to memorize some lines this time (I’m not kidding, he said the EXACT same lines with the EXACT same delivery every.single.year) - but I met the cutest so-not-fundie guy that year, so SCORE!  (I guess he was on some sort of house arrest or maybe probation).  But that was also the year I already knew more than any adult in my life.  The next few years were actually kinda fun - but only because I was a kid and had made a circle of friends I joined up with every year, not because of Uncle Bill.  

I guess I should amend this to say my mom and I were fundie lite.  My daddy was raised Amish and definitely would have preferred a little less bucking and a whole lot more compliance.  If it hadn’t been for my South Georgia Mama, I’d be sporting some crunchy Michelle hair and frumpers this very minute.  Until the day he died, we teased him with “you can can take the boy out of the Amish, but...”.  Also, we always got such a BANG out of people who pronounce it with a long A (AA-mish) rhyming with Hamish.  We’d say to him, “Daddy, your A-mish is hanging out”.

Disclaimer: I’m not fundie anything anymore.  It wore off.

I love your post, but it’s selfish in nature because my dog is named Hamish (I chose his name). NO one ever says his name correctly! Thank you for your fine example! ??

He gets called Hammish, Huh-mish or Haymitch (people think I’m a “Hunger Games” fan) even after I’ve said his name five times slowly & out loud as a hint to those who screw it up. 

My own first & last name are always butchered, so I’m used to people mispronouncing names. I was so pleased to see your example that I had to give you a shout out!

On topic: kudos to you for finding a cute non-fundy guy at the seminar AND to your mama for making sure you didn’t end up stockpiling hair spray and home perm kits! 

Edited by Bridget
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Heathen said:

That’s because of layers I think. 

On 7/11/2018 at 5:21 PM, Catfin said:

She’s wearing jeans! 

Are we positive those are jeans? Some denim skirts are styled like jeans up top. It seems a little weird that she'd choose jeans on a hot summer night. But I hope so!

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

My nephew is a nurse and is constantly referred to as “Doctor” by hospital patients. 

Chauvinism is still around, I guess...  

I suspect the hospital setting is going to be one of the last holdouts...even though there are SO many female doctors these days that I doubt anyone is actually surprised at seeing one, there's still somehow the lingering feeling - almost instinctual -  that Doctor/Nurse is equivalent to Mr/Mrs. I guess too many of us out there still grew up with the Dick & Jane mentality where everything was boiled down to a common denominator and the majorities won the day. While it's probably just as bad in other fields to a point, the language has helped. Think of whatever they are calling secretaries these days - I don't recall the word offhand that comes on the cards for what used to be "secretaries' day", but it's not something that rolls off the tongue in the same way that "nurse" does. I'll admit to my share of chauvinism, if that's what it is, myself...with elderly parents having had many hospitalizations in recent years, there's always the part of me which perks up at the anticipation of maybe getting some concrete answers when a male in scrubs comes into a room vs a female...It seems to be programmed pretty deeply into my psyche...

Ever since this topic first came up here, I kept remembering the riddle from All In the Family which RedheadZombie posted, but couldn't quite recall it well enough to quote it as succinctly as she did, so thanks for that, RZ!

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, Temperance said:

I don't think the Coca-Cola shirt is that low cut, and I would probably wear it without an undershirt unless it was winter. 

Then, apparently, you are not as godly as the Duggars. (Love you!)

• Love 12

In my company, they're referred to as "Administrative Professionals", as not all are assistants to any particular individuals.  And the word assistant indicates subservience when it may not apply. 

So unless you're addressing the Secretary of State, or Secretary General of the UN, the generic term "Administrator" works better than any form of secretary.  ;-)

And while it's possible that dark wedge of denim between Abbie's legs is an insert to make a skirt out of a pair of jeans, it really doesn't look like it to me.  

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Fosca said:

Same. Totally my pet peeve. 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, leighdear said:

In my company, they're referred to as "Administrative Professionals", as not all are assistants to any particular individuals.  And the word assistant indicates subservience when it may not apply. 

So unless you're addressing the Secretary of State, or Secretary General of the UN, the generic term "Administrator" works better than any form of secretary.  ;-)

And while it's possible that dark wedge of denim between Abbie's legs is an insert to make a skirt out of a pair of jeans, it really doesn't look like it to me.  

Fun fact:  in England it's apparently very prestigious to be known as a "Legal Secretary", and they would in fact be insulted to be called a "Legal Assistant/Admin" instead, because the "Legal Secretary" designation comes at the end of a fairly rigorous specific degree program not everyone can get into, according to an HR rep of a global law firm I once interviewed with; whereas anyone can call themselves a "Legal Assistant/Admin".  I think this super interesting, because of course, once upon a time in America, "secretary" was a prestige aspirational position for women that in fact lifted them out of the working class; and often was acquired at the end of time spent in - ta-dah! - a secretarial school.  But now we've got to call these selfsame people "admins" and the like, largely because they have been pushed en masse into four-year degree programs by society justifying it by telling them "nowadays, you're nothing without a bachelor's degree; but good luck finding an appropriate job remotely tied to your major in American studies, fine arts, classics, journalism, public relations and marketing, etc., etc. with the competition from all these other hotshots, after you leave school."  So now, we have to pretend that "admin" is in some way a better job than plain old "secretary", even though a lot of both categories in many types of American offices, could best be defined as "a maid with a keyboard attached to his/her fingers instead of a mop".

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 6

Secretary got replaced by Administrative Assistant when colleges began offering Associate's and Bachelor's degrees for it, which attracted men to the position. Since everyone's mental image of a secretary is female, it needed a non-gender specific rename.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, beagletime said:

In the old days when I was a secretary, it was not an easy job,  Shorthand and typing without erasures is not easy.  I worked for a real estate company and typed reams of documents.  All had to be error free.  Before spell check you had to know spelling and grammar.  Most of which I've forgotten.  Different types of envelopes had different ways of being addressed.  We didn't just slap a pre-printed label on things. Dictaphone machines take a lot of practice. Carbon paper, who remembers onion skin paper?  There was etiquette for answering phones.  I also can work a switchboard with all the plug in cables.  Secretaries for a good company good have a very good career.  It was not a demeaning position at all.  Bad management can happen in any job at any level.  I really enjoyed being a secretary.  Men doing those jobs were called secretaries before women were in the workforce.  We need to take back the name!  

Mr Jyn, before he retired, held a couple of major commands and was XO at a couple of others at various Navy bases. Some of the "secretaries" who came with the jobs had been in the same position within the command for 20 or 30 years. They probably knew more about the ins and outs of Naval bases than any of the people who held the command job for the two (occasionally three) years they (the commanders) were there.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, beagletime said:

orkIn the old days when I was a secretary, it was not an easy job,  Shorthand and typing without erasures is not easy.  I worked for a real estate company and typed reams of documents.  All had to be error free.  Before spell check you had to know spelling and grammar.  Most of which I've forgotten.  Different types of envelopes had their own ways of being addressed.  We didn't just slap a pre-printed label on things. Dictaphone machines take a lot of practice. Carbon paper, who remembers onion skin paper?  There was a business etiquette for answering phones.  I learned to work a switchboard with all the plug in cables.  Secretaries with a good company could have a very nice career.  It was not a all a demeaning position.  Bad management can happen in any job at any level.  I really enjoyed being a secretary.  Men doing those jobs were called secretaries before women were in the workforce.  We need to take back the name!  

I was a legal secretary back in the 1960’s and I did all those things. It brings me back. I enjoyed it

• Love 11
(edited)
7 hours ago, beagletime said:

orkIn the old days when I was a secretary, it was not an easy job,  Shorthand and typing without erasures is not easy.  I worked for a real estate company and typed reams of documents.  All had to be error free.  Before spell check you had to know spelling and grammar.  Most of which I've forgotten.  Different types of envelopes had their own ways of being addressed.  We didn't just slap a pre-printed label on things. Dictaphone machines take a lot of practice. Carbon paper, who remembers onion skin paper?  There was a business etiquette for answering phones.  I learned to work a switchboard with all the plug in cables.  Secretaries with a good company could have a very nice career.  It was not a all a demeaning position.  Bad management can happen in any job at any level.  I really enjoyed being a secretary.  Men doing those jobs were called secretaries before women were in the workforce.  We need to take back the name!  

You have my sympathy.  Every year my boss and I had to review leases for rental apartments and office spaces for some clients, and I was always so resentful that I could never get a pdf-typable version of a Bloomberg lease form, though largely this is because typewriters are used so infrequently nowadays that my office never bothered to keep a decent one/couldn't find a company willing to repair them anymore.  Thus I was always being forced to type edits to leases on machines (a) without a platen with lines (!) showing where the ball is supposed to go; (b), without CorrecType tapes; (c) without being allowed to spend a dollar of the cheap law firm's money on trying to get a workaround.  It was a terrific day when my boss finally caved and allowed us to start handwriting the edits plainly, instead of trying to squeeze things in with the typewriter ball.  Did you ever use this beauty?  This thing is AH-MAY-ZING - I always wished I had the time to read the thing from cover to cover because I thought after flipping through a few pages, "WOW, if I knew everything contained in this manual, I'd be the best secretary in the world!"

https://www.amazon.com/Merriam-Websters-Secretarial-Handbook-Anna-Eckersley-Johnson/dp/B007PN4VVY

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, beagletime said:

I too worked at a PBX switchboard as a work-study college student.  I liked it a lot.  I sat right across from the President's secretary.  She was much respected and had held the job for 30 plus years.  It was considered a prestige position.

Gregg shorthand wasn't easy to learn, and I did well in that too.  I agree that the word secretary should be reclaimed.

• Love 6

Moved from the Josiah/Lauren thread:

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:45 AM, Loves2Dance said:

Nathan was in a courtship and she left him. Lawson posted a very pretty picture of Jana on instagram with a ;p and then deleted it 10 seconds later. 

Please, do tell!  When did this happen?   Was he implying he thinks Jana's hot?  I hope someone told Jana about it.

@Loves2Dance I’m pretty sure the picture did not contain any text to it, at least that’s what people who saw it said. 

This happened like 2 weeks ago. And it was not just a picture of Jana. It was a picture of Jana WITH Spurgeon in the garden. Everyone knows Jana is talked about often in the media. He did this for attention and attention only because he’s a d*** and loves to be questioned like this. 

• Love 6
On 7/14/2018 at 10:02 AM, beagletime said:

I work in banking and the girl who trained me years ago moved up into the admin position for my district management.  Good pay, but holy shit the stuff she does.  She’s fully versed in the banking numbers, processes loan numbers and needs to be able to handle any banking complaint directed at the DMs, organizes every list and form for the entire district, plans picnics and parties, and also makes gift baskets while completely a full marketing audit.  And that was just last friday. 

I wouldn’t be able to do it.  I would be like Anne Hathaway in the first act of The Devil Wears Prada, searingly bad and then complaining nonstop.

• Love 6