Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E24: The Long Distance Dissonance

"The Long Distance Dissonance"- The gang is concerned when Sheldon's former admirer, Dr. Ramona Nowitzki (Riki Lindhome), resurfaces while Amy is away at Princeton, on the 10th season finale of THE BIG BANG THEORY, Thursday, May 11 (8:00-8:31 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

(edited)

I've been increasingly bored with the show in the last season or so, but I definitely squealed out loud when the door opened and Sheldon was holding out the ring. Surprisingly, I didn't see it coming. She's got to say "yes," right?

Oh, and I loved that they brought back Ramona Nowitski for this episode. Her original episode is a classic and her character worked perfectly for this scenario.

Edited by BryroseA
  • Love 18

The opening and closing scenes in this episode were pretty perfect.  I loved watching Amy tease Sheldon over grammar.  Their relationship has become so adorable.  And for it to end with Sheldon and a ring, I'm just thrilled.  

• Love 20

I loved It! When he got in the cab I knew he was heading to Amy. And I did think "I wonder if he has the ring with him?"  I'm so happy I was right!!

I'm sure she'll say yes. What a great season finale ?

• Love 11

I figured he was heading to Amy, but I never guessed he would be proposing.  Good season finale.  

And yes, as lor mentioned above, now they need to find girlfriends for Raj and Stuart.

• Love 15
11 minutes ago, TheOtherOne said:

Good episode, though it was a little annoying that Penny acted like she didn't know what Ramona looked like.

I buy that Penny wouldn't remember.  Why would she?  It's not like she gets to see that episode over and over again :).  One random woman who showed up for a few days years ago, I probably wouldn't remember either.  

• Love 23
27 minutes ago, TheOtherOne said:

The group march down the stairs was hilarious. The show still is still capable of inspired moments.

Probably going to be one of my favorite moments from the show.  Just perfect.

47 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

But once he finally realized what was going on, he did what anybody that gives a damn about their significant other should do in that situation: he got the hell out.

Well there's getting the hell out....and then there's going to LAX, getting on a flight, watching SpongeBob, getting to Princeton and proposing.  I think that's going to set a new standard for getting the hell out.

And will Ramona be sitting in Sheldon's office for the entire summer waiting for Sheldon to return?  

• Love 23
(edited)
26 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

I buy that Penny wouldn't remember.  Why would she?  It's not like she gets to see that episode over and over again :).  One random woman who showed up for a few days years ago, I probably wouldn't remember either.  

If you had a seemingly (and until recently) asexual friend, you wouldn't remember the only woman prior to his current girlfriend who he seemed to have any kind of relationship with, however brief, the one who first made you question, "What's his deal?" Different strokes and all, but I'd find that pretty memorable.

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Love 3

First time in a long time that I've thought "this was a terrific episode!"  That proposal will probably mean so much more to Amy when she hears the whole story.  For Sheldon to get in a taxi, then board a plane (with all of those germs!), and to fly out to her on a whim is a huge step for him.  What a wonderful ending!

• Love 24

It must be True Love.  Sheldon walked out of his office, got in a taxi, got on a plane, flew to the East Coast [don't forget SpongeBob!], went to Princeton, and proposed, without finishing the word, "relation. . ."  I half expected him to say "ship" when Amy opened the door. But the ring was the right choice.  

I hope I don't spend the whole summer worrying about Penny and Leonard though.  ;-)

• Love 8

I hope we'll see Sheldon's Mom in some future episodes.  I always love when she's on the show.  She had to pretend not to like Amy in order to get them back together in the Zazzy Substitution episode.  I wonder if Amy ever realized that it was a ruse.   I would think that Mary would be thrilled to see her little Shelly get married!  I'm sure she never saw that day coming!  Thanks to Raj & Howard for setting them up. 

• Love 14

That was so awesome!  (I wish I hadn't spoiled myself on the spoiler thread though.)  Amy was hilarious in this episode.  I loved Bernadette 'throwing her body at them', and of course the group walk down the stairs.  That was classic!  Penny's big sis talk with Sheldon was great too.   And of course the wonderful ending.  Yay Sheldon!  That was so sweet.  I actually teared up a bit when she opened the door and he was kneeling with the ring.

The Amy/Sheldon relationship has been so well written and performed.  I'm glad the show has been renewed for two more seasons. I'm looking forward to lots of engagement, wedding and marriage goodness to come.

I have to go watch this episode again now.

• Love 22
1 hour ago, singsong said:

The opening and closing scenes in this episode were pretty perfect.  I loved watching Amy tease Sheldon over grammar.  Their relationship has become so adorable.  And for it to end with Sheldon and a ring, I'm just thrilled.  

It was a perfect episode, but the "previously" in which Sheldon used the obective "me" twice when the subjective "I" was grammatically correct ("If you meet a scientist who is smarter than me and taller than me" instead of "than I am") juxtaposed with the Skype about grammar, almost ruined it for me.

Anyway, that is how you write an episode utilizing the entire cast and familiar settings in a limited amount of time. All it takes sticking to a single plot. 

Maybe the DVD can have an alternate version with the correct grammar?

• Love 7

I confess to letting out a delighted "whoop!" when Amy opened the door.

Some years back I dated a "Sheldon-y" guy.  Amy has been much more successful with Sheldon than I was with his counterpart.  I truly have affection for both those characters.  The ending left me smiling.

• Love 13

I loved this episode and Sheldon proposing. But I especially loved Bernadette throwing herself between Sheldon and Ramona and later the whole group walking down the stairs together, haha.

And Sheldon watching Spongebob was so cute.

• Love 17

Where was the first stop Sheldon made? A child-care center? I loved everything about this. The growth with Sheldon, the unprompted proposal. I thought he was going to go find Penny or Leonard to ask for advice.

• Love 4

I'm with Bernadette: The thought of Sheldon and Amy in sexual congress grosses me out too.

I didn't find the proposal particularly romantic. It seemed the act of a panicked man seeking to deny that he was attracted to someone other than his significant other.

The fact that they all acted like they didn't know who Ramona was bugged me. The whole Ramona/Sheldon "relationship" was a pretty big thing in their group at the time. 

• Love 8

Sheldon has had several clingy intern assistants, and the four guys have had many women in and out of their lives over the years. It's not that surprising that Ramona might not stand out after this time. Sheldon did exactly what he asked Amy to do under the same circumstances: get the hell out of Dodge -- and then some! The crazy kids have come a long way from, "May I buy you a beverage?" "Tepid water, please."

• Love 15
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

It was a perfect episode, but the "previously" in which Sheldon used the obective "me" twice when the subjective "I" was grammatically correct ("If you meet a scientist who is smarter than me and taller than me" instead of "than I am") juxtaposed with the Skype about grammar, almost ruined it for me.

I thought the point of that scene was to show Amy try to use grammar as a segue to Skype-sex, and Sheldon being completely oblivious to it.

Great season finale, and while I wasn't 100% surprised that Sheldon flew to NJ and proposed to Amy, it was still beautiful to watch.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Where was the first stop Sheldon made? A child-care center?

Where he got into the cab to LAX?  That was the Cahill Center, the astronomy/astrophysics building at Caltech.

• Love 4

Whilst I'm not a fan of studio audience whoopin' and a'hollerin', I did join in a little bit when Sheldon proposed. I also LOL'd at the one quiet, horrified 'No!' when Ramona kissed Sheldon.

• Love 10
12 hours ago, TheOtherOne said:

Good episode, though it was a little annoying that Penny acted like she didn't know what Ramona looked like. After all, they're "Sisters?" (offered pinky) That was such a great episode. If they're going to do callbacks, they can certainly do worse.

The group march down the stairs was hilarious. The show still is still capable of inspired moments.

Lovely ending. Hooray!

I was confused at the lack of recognition from Ramona again.  Sheldon introduced her to everyone again.  Granted she was in their lives briefly, but she was around them for at least a few days.

Ramona looked sickly.  She looked thinner and the blonde hair washed her complexion out a little bit.

Probably my favorite episode of the season.  There's an episode of Monday, is that a re-run?

• Love 2

I was annoyed that Penny and Leonard at least didn't remember more about Ramona. Based on that original episode she hung around for weeks, controlling Sheldon and keeping him focused while he wrote an entire paper. She was at the apartment pretty much every moment of the day. I can believe that Howard and Raj don't remember her and obviously Bernadette wouldn't know her, but Sheldon came knocking on Penny's door and begged her for help in getting rid of Ramona.  I know the writers don't expect the audience to remember details from an episode year and years ago but it would have been nice if everyone wasn't acting like Ramona was brand new.

• Love 6

Why would the writers bring her back at all, if they didn't think the audience would remember her?  They could have made up Ramona 2.0.

Laurie Metcalf is a busy woman.  I'm sure we'll see more of her next season.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DkNNy79 said:

I was confused at the lack of recognition from Ramona again.  Sheldon introduced her to everyone again.  Granted she was in their lives briefly, but she was around them for at least a few days.

Ramona looked sickly.  She looked thinner and the blonde hair washed her complexion out a little bit.

Probably my favorite episode of the season.  There's an episode of Monday, is that a re-run?

I don't often say this, but having been one myself, the actress appeared anorexic to me--not simply naturally very thin, but sickly as you suggested.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Badsamaritan said:

Can they please just bring back the vet for Raj?

I liked the girlfriend who was kinda quirky.  I don't know the actress' name, but she looked like Olive Oyl - big eyes and tiny body.  I thought Raj had the most chemistry with her (and the vet second).

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, Badsamaritan said:

Since Sheldon had no facial reactions to Ramona's kiss, I'm going with, he realized he didn't want anybody else's lips on his except for Amy's. He never closed his eyes, there was no relaxing of his posture like he was enjoying it, so I don't think this is a 'Oh, I'm attracted to this woman after all, I better go propose to squash it' situation. Plus I just don't think that would be in Sheldon's nature. He's had the ring for what, almost 2 years now? I think this is like in 'The Earworm Reverberation' where, once he realized how much he loves Amy, he was a man on a mission to get to her. So I thought this was a very lovely bookend to that.

Can they please just bring back the vet for Raj? I like Tania Raymonde and I really enjoyed her interactions with Leonard, Penny, and Raj. She was just quirky enough to fit in with the group (I'm remembering her telling Raj that she did sing Katy Perry to Cinnamon, and she rocked it). As far as Stuart, well....yeah.

He DID have a facial reaction... the widened eyes of shock when she planted that kiss on him. But he certainly didn't reciprocate her passion. When he walked out the door, I had no idea where he was going, I thought the scene was going to end there. When he got in the cab, I knew he was going straight to Amy. But NOTHING prepared me (yay, no spoilers!) for the sight of Sheldon on one knee when she opened the door. It was unexpected, without feeling contrived. Their whole relationship has been beautifully done and has progressed organically. It's a master class in character development, and other shows should take note.

Also... he has apparently been carrying the ring around with him, since he went straight from his office to Princeton. I guess he was just waiting for the right moment, and Nowitzki's kiss was just the catalyst.

I love the vet for Raj, but...

40 minutes ago, roughing it said:

I liked the girlfriend who was kinda quirky.  I don't know the actress' name, but she looked like Olive Oyl - big eyes and tiny body.  I thought Raj had the most chemistry with her (and the vet second).

I think Lucy would be a better fit for Stuart. I think he would be far more respectful of her social anxiety (he'd probably be content to stay at home with her all the time anyway), and they could bond over their wierdness. He's pretty laid back, too.

Edited by axlmadonna
  • Love 12
47 minutes ago, axlmadonna said:

Also... he has apparently been carrying the ring around with him, since he went straight from his office to Princeton. I guess he was just waiting for the right moment, and Nowitzki's kiss was just the catalyst.

I had wondered if they left out him stopping off for the ring.  I really don't believe he's been carrying it around with him.

• Love 5

I'm going to handwave him stopping by the apartment for the ring. It's easy enoughto assume he did and we don't need to see it.

Probably one of my favorite episodes. 

• Love 12

Everyone involved is capable of making an excellent sitcom when they set their minds to it, and tonight was the perfect example.

No one was overly cartoonish, the whole cast acted on character, the sentimental moments felt earned. And mostly, everyone looked like they cared. Even Riki Lindhome brought the weight, she wasn't as over the top as her first showing, and seemed like a genuine person who had interest in Sheldon. I really enjoyed her interaction with Raj at the cafeteria.

Bernadette was the other standout tonight. Her take on the whole situation was great, and throwing herself between Ramona and Sheldon on the couch, then being the first one to break up the march outside. She may not understand Sheldon, but she cares about her friend.

• Love 13

I cannot wait to see the wedding. You know Bev and Mary will be there, along with Meemaw. And Amy's as-yet-unseen family. I would love to see former Blossom cast members in those roles. They did it with KC and JG's former shows!

• Love 7

Amy's reaction to Ramona was hysterical. My favorite bit was when she immediately called/Skyped Penny and Bernie and yelled "I gave you one job!" 

Penny: "We just thought you meant to keep him from running into the street."

Bernadette: "And he only did that once."

Sometimes I feel like Sheldon has just grown increasingly annoying but I have to admit I did like the proposal, and this was one of the better episodes I've seen in a long time. 

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

I cannot wait to see the wedding. You know Bev and Mary will be there, along with Meemaw. And Amy's as-yet-unseen family. I would love to see former Blossom cast members in those roles. They did it with KC and JG's former shows!

We've seen Amy's mom on skype... remember when she and Sheldon told her that they were engaging in lots of coitus as a ruse to get her off Amy's back about being in a relationship? I don't think there's ever been mention of her father, though.

It would be funny if Joey Lawrence showed up as her brother.

• Love 7

They've also referenced a time or two that the baby was with Bernadette's parents.  Which makes sense.  They may not want to bother writing for or paying for her parents to show up in an actual episode but it's nice that at least once in awhile they mention them!

• Love 3

I cannot wait to see the wedding. You know Bev and Mary will be there, along with Meemaw.

I hope TPTB will use these characters well.  IMO, the Bev-Mary ep and the Meemaw ep were both poorly handled.  

• Love 7
2 hours ago, roughing it said:

Ironically, Lucy and Ramona make up Garfunkel and Oates.

• Love 10

The other day I was watching "Be Cool Scooby Doo" with a young relative of my acquaintance and kept wondering why Velma's voice was so familiar.  Off to google and sure enough Velma is being voiced by Lucy, also known as Kate Micucci.  She does a pretty  good job too.

• Love 2