Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E24: The Long Distance Dissonance

You know what? This would've been a really great season finale episode.

If next season were the LAST season.

As it is, we get TWO MORE seasons after this, so I hold out no hope that the proposal will stick. Or work. If next season were the last season and time to wrap up storylines, then a shamy wedding would be tear jerkingly sweet. But with two more seasons in the works? And Lorre being Lorre?

I don't buy it. I'm sorry guys, but I don't hold out any hope that Chuck Lorre won't screw this up.

Why'd he propose? Because the kiss made him realize what she meant to him? (Nah)

Because he wants to be able to say to other strumpets out there "I'm engaged to be married so back off?" (Maybe)

I don't know. I just wish next season was the last season. THEN I'd be giddy and happy and squealy. But knowing there are like 40 to 50 more episodes after this?  I don't hold out any hope that we're not gonna get kicked in the nuts again by this show.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

A goody, another cliffhanger.

We don't get Amy's answer, but if she says no it would be kind of out of character for her.  Unless Sheldon says something like "When she kissed me, and I liked it, I knew I had to get married to you to resist the temptation".  Unlikely.  Or I guess Amy could say no because Sheldon just let Ramona into his apartment at night, and didn't know how to behave appropriately.

Ramona kisses Sheldon, and he responds by flying coast to coast to propose.  Sheldon is an odd duck.

The whole episode revolved around Sheldon tonight.  Even when he wasn't in the scene, he was the topic of conversation.  Even when Raj was trying to hit on Ramona, he was being rebuffed in favor of Sheldon.  Speaking of which, if Ramona wanted an intelligent phD, she could have gone for Raj, he was available.  But she insisted on going for Sheldon, even though he wasn't available.  I guess it just goes to show the heart wants what the heart wants.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I loved this episode and Sheldon proposing. But I especially loved Bernadette throwing herself between Sheldon and Ramona and later the whole group walking down the stairs together, haha.

And Sheldon watching Spongebob was so cute.

Yep, good friends closed ranks.

• Love 9

I know the writers don't expect the audience to remember details from an episode year and years ago but it would have been nice if everyone wasn't acting like Ramona was brand new.

Actually Leonard did specifically refer to Ramona's past appearance in the first cafeteria scene. After Ramona and Sheldon had moved to their own table, Leonard asked 'Isn't she the grad student, who used to follow him around?'

• Love 5
18 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

I buy that Penny wouldn't remember.  Why would she?

She had a pretty strong reaction to seeing Ramona working on Sheldon's feet. Something that she could only explain "in a therapist's office with dolls" is something she's likely to remember even eight years later, although that is plenty of time for Ramona to have changed how she looks; Penny has.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I hope we'll see Sheldon's Mom in some future episodes.  I always love when she's on the show.  She had to pretend not to like Amy in order to get them back together in the Zazzy Substitution episode.  I wonder if Amy ever realized that it was a ruse.   I would think that Mary would be thrilled to see her little Shelly get married!  I'm sure she never saw that day coming!  Thanks to Raj & Howard for setting them up. 

The wedding is going to be a fantastic season long story arc. My prediction: Amy is going to drive everyone crazy with wedding planning and then it will turn out not to be something totally different from what she planned

2 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I cannot wait to see the wedding. You know Bev and Mary will be there, along with Meemaw. And Amy's as-yet-unseen family. I would love to see former Blossom cast members in those roles. They did it with KC and JG's former shows!

That would be great! 

This episode was great. Even though not everyone was on camera/in the same scene it felt like everyone was part of the same series. I love the way Amy, Bernadette and Penny have become friends. I knew Sheldon was going to see Amy, but I was totally surprised about the proposal. 

• Love 6

Knowing that this was the season finale and that there'd be a cliffhanger, I had a vague thought that Amy might have a pregnancy scare, based on that "wild" bit of sex she and Sheldon had before she left! I'm glad that wasn't the case.

I, too, wondered who was watching the baby but quickly assumed it was probably Stuart.

And I also immediately wondered why and how Sheldon had the engagement ring with him, since the last we saw it, it was locked away in a strongbox. Sure, he could've stopped off for it before heading to the airport, so I'm fine with that.

Overall, a fun and engaging episode, well done.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, hnygrl said:

Because he wants to be able to say to other strumpets out there "I'm engaged to be married so back off?" (Maybe)

Good point, that could be a possible reason for Amy to turn down his proposal.  Because he just wants to be married to avoid such awkward encounters with other women in the future.

26 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

She had a pretty strong reaction to seeing Ramona working on Sheldon's feet. Something that she could only explain "in a therapist's office with dolls" is something she's likely to remember even eight years later, although that is plenty of time for Ramona to have changed how she looks; Penny has.

Maybe what she saw was so traumatic that she has blocked Ramona from her memory.

I think Ramona looks pretty much the same as before, other than the obvious change in hair color from red to blonde.  I'd say Penny has changed more in the face than she has.

• Love 2

I haven't seen this episode yet so I don't know why they don't have them recognize Ramona but I think it does make sense that they wouldn't.  They may seem to spend most of their time with each other but the reality is the guys in particular are working in an environment where there is a constant shift of people coming and going.  Even a grad student as annoying as Ramona was was still just one grad student out of hundreds that they must have encountered.  That episode with Ramona actually has a new redheaded grad student popping up to take Ramona's place with Sheldon at the end.  The implication is that they are a dime a dozen.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, CinAZ said:

Best episode in a long time. I smiled at the end. 

I am now looking forward to the next season, whereas before, I was kind of meh...

Exactly how I feel on both counts.   I enjoyed this episode for the first time in a long time. 

• Love 5

I'm not down on this series (as many of you seem to be), but yes, this was a note-perfect episode. 

Not much to add, except: for the train-loving Sheldon Cooper to climb onto an airplane, he must have been traumatized!

• Love 10

Well I was truly shocked at the end, had no idea. 

It was a pretty just OK episode before that

I agree though I am not sure how they drag this out two more seasons.

I watched a whole last SINGLE season of HIMYM dragged out over a wedding, with writers imminently more talented than Chuck Lorre and his group, and it blew hard.  So TWO more seasons?  I don't know where they will go. 

• Love 2

I admit I teared up a tiny bit when I saw Sheldon on bended knee.  And I may have said to the screen "Say yes!" as they cut to black.  I didn't know that I even wanted, or cared, to hear her accept until they left it as a cliffhanger.

I think it can work over two seasons - Amy and Sheldon have never progressed quickly in any of their relationship steps.

On her wedding day I hope Amy wears a tiara. :-)

• Love 20
12 hours ago, hnygrl said:

Why'd he propose?

They showed at the end of last season he'd already intended to propose, and everyone knew but Amy, and then it got blurted to Amy midseason. So his proposing isn't really out of left field. That he went directly to the airport and immediately flew to NJ after Ramona kissed him does perhaps beg a "why go immediately there" but his proposing in general was already established as something he'd clearly intended to do before (and then didn't because she dumped him, and then didn't because it got spilled and would seem weird to do in response). But it's pretty much just been a matter of time of when he'd actually do it.

• Love 6

Actually Leonard did specifically refer to Ramona's past appearance in the first cafeteria scene. After Ramona and Sheldon had moved to their own table, Leonard asked 'Isn't she the grad student, who used to follow him around?'

I'm glad they wrote that line in.  I didn't remember her at first either, and I've watched a lot of these episodes more than once! 

• Love 4

I loved this episode from start to finish.  The group walk was great. It was brilliant to bring back Ramona.  The ending was fantastic.  Making me look forward to next season which has not happened in a while.  

• Love 7
(edited)
5 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I'm glad they wrote that line in.  I didn't remember her at first either, and I've watched a lot of these episodes more than once! 

Finally saw the episode and while  I do remember Ramona and would have known the name and her giggle  I didn't recognize her right away.

I've found this season to be a good one with episodes I know I will rewatch but the finale was spot on perfect.  I thought everyone brought their A game and it really worked.  I hope they follow the same formula more often next season - having one story that everyone gets involved with rather than multiple plots with the cast scattered all over the board.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 12
(edited)

I enjoyed the episode and really loved the ending.  For one brief moment, while Sheldon was on his way to see Amy at Princeton, I was afraid he was going to break up with her because he found someone new, but I quickly got over that and was pretty sure he was going to propose.  I am so glad he did.  Breakups and makeups are okay for Leonard and Penny but not for Sheldon and Amy.

If they want to bring back characters, why don't they bring back Howard's half brother?  I had thought they were going to do something with that when he appeared but there was never another mention of him.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 7
On May 11, 2017 at 10:41 PM, theredhead77 said:

Where was the first stop Sheldon made? A child-care center? I loved everything about this.

The Cahill Center for Atronomy and Astrophysics at CalTech. 

image.jpeg

• Love 4
(edited)
On 5/12/2017 at 10:16 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I watched a whole last SINGLE season of HIMYM dragged out over a wedding, with writers imminently more talented than Chuck Lorre and his group, and it blew hard.  So TWO more seasons?  I don't know where they will go. 

I've been watching the final season of HIMYM for the past two weeks.  The series finale kinda soured my whole memory of that entire season, but it actually wasn't so bad.  One episode in particular (Bedtime stories, featuring Lin-Manuel Miranda) was written entirely in rhyme and one of the best single sitcom episodes I can remember.  Granted, it's hard for today's writers to maintain quality for 22 episodes per season, but in the days of the old sitcoms (I'm watching Mary Tyler Moore as I write this) it could be done, theoretically (no pun intended).

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 4

As Sheldon was on his way to see Amy, I thought he might break up with her - only because they show has does that sort of unrealistic stuff in the past- but I figured he was jsut going to kiss her to sort of "erase" Ramona's lips from his.  The proposal was a very happy surprise.

On 5/11/2017 at 8:18 PM, clarkbar said:

Some years back I dated a "Sheldon-y" guy.  Amy has been much more successful with Sheldon than I was with his counterpart.  I truly have affection for both those characters.  The ending left me smiling.

Maybe Amy has more patience.  There are extremely few people would would wait as long as Amy did for the smallest sign of affection.

• Love 3
(edited)
9 minutes ago, needschocolate said:

As Sheldon was on his way to see Amy, I thought he might break up with her - only because they show has does that sort of unrealistic stuff in the past- but I figured he was jsut going to kiss her to sort of "erase" Ramona's lips from his.  The proposal was a very happy surprise.

Maybe Amy has more patience.  There are extremely few people would would wait as long as Amy did for the smallest sign of affection.

I think Amy felt it was worth it though, because she and Sheldon did get to know each other and spend time together as friends first. They were able to find in each other their intellectual equal and allowed things to build from there. I don't think Sheldon could have evolved like for anyone *but* Amy. He clearly feels she is worth it. And Amy has spend so many years lonely that I think slow burn was fine, in that she wasn't expecting *anything* so just getting *something* stood out.

Edited by anna0852
It helps to type all the words.
  • Love 5

The only problem I see with this cliffhanger is that if Amy says yes, isn't it going to be a little anticlimactic?  If she is true to her character, there's no way she says no.  But a lot depends on exactly WHY Sheldon suddenly felt the need to spontaneously fly to Princeton to propose.

Maybe she might start the episode by refusing the proposal, for whatever reason, but is convinced by the end of it to say yes.

As for what the show does with the last two years, maybe they find happy relationships for Raj and Stuart.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, Trey said:

If they want to bring back characters, why don't they bring back Howard's half brother?  I had thought they were going to do something with that when he appeared but there was never another mention of him.

Yes and I really want to see Howard's dad, especially now that Mrs. W is gone.

• Love 6

I'd like to see Howard's dad too, if only to see Howard confront him about walking out. We've seen in the past how much pain Howard has from his dad leaving and how deeply that affected him. Now that he is a dad himself, I could see that anger really boiling over if the absent dad (since we don't have a name I'm going to call him Deadbeat) ever came back. Howard is a loving and devoted husband and father. I'm sure he couldn't conceive of walking out on Bernie and Halley. Confronting Deadbeat for not only walking out on himself and Debbie, but also going to have another family would be epic to see. I could also see Bernadette ripping into Deadbeat as well. She's very protective of Howard. I know it's a Chuck Lorre show but every so often he gets it just right in addressing the heavier stuff. 

• Love 13
On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:30 PM, Trey said:

For one brief moment, while Sheldon was on his way to see Amy at Princeton, I was afraid he was going to break up with her because he found someone new,

I've been shaking my head over the Shamy relationship for some time. Has anyone else noticed how "motherly" or parental Amy acts toward him? First she baked Meemaw's Christmas cookies to win him over. She apparently doped his juice when they flew to Texas to see his family. He gave her the role of "Person to Notify" if he became ill at the University. She's taken care of him or spoken to him like a mother or a parent at other times too. Amy and his mother were getting along famously during the visit, and I think that's because his mom realizes how maternal the relationship is. She knows that sensitive little Sheldon will be properly cared for. But that's not really good for Sheldon, who needs to break out of his motherly cocoon and grow up to be a man. I'd like to see Sheldon interact and learn to cope with a woman in an equal adult partnership.

8 hours ago, P3pp3rb1rd said:

I've been shaking my head over the Shamy relationship for some time. Has anyone else noticed how "motherly" or parental Amy acts toward him? First she baked Meemaw's Christmas cookies to win him over. She apparently doped his juice when they flew to Texas to see his family. He gave her the role of "Person to Notify" if he became ill at the University. She's taken care of him or spoken to him like a mother or a parent at other times too. Amy and his mother were getting along famously during the visit, and I think that's because his mom realizes how maternal the relationship is. She knows that sensitive little Sheldon will be properly cared for. But that's not really good for Sheldon, who needs to break out of his motherly cocoon and grow up to be a man. I'd like to see Sheldon interact and learn to cope with a woman in an equal adult partnership.

Actually, I think Amy gave a very good explanation in the repeat Christmas episode they showed after this one, when she explained to Sheldon she had already told his mom they were living together. She talked about how he has trouble with normal human emotions and interactions so she got out ahead and managed the situation. Sheldon is not ever gonna have what we would consider 'normal' relationships. He's just not that type of character. But for me, he's shown enough growth, especially with Amy, that I don't mind that she manages certain situations for him. I mean, he had no clue Ramona was really after him even though everyone else did. I think that's just always gonna be an issue for him. I think his relationship with Amy is about as adult and equal as the character is capable of getting. That's not to say that he won't show more growth in the final 2 seasons.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Badsamaritan said:

I think his relationship with Amy is about as adult and equal as the character is capable of getting.

Yep.  He will always be Sheldon.  And that's not a bad thing.  Anyway lots of relationships, for good or for bad, have one of the partners taking the lead in many ways.  In the more traditional marriage the woman does tend to take on a nurturer role and it's been fodder for comedy for years that a wife ends up being a mother to her husband and has to do everything for him the same way she does for her children,  In that sense Sheldon being dependent on Amy is just as much an equal partnership as many marriages are.  

• Love 7

And Sheldon's need for 'parenting' predates Amy by quite a bit. He's gotten this sort care from everyone, not just her. And Amy pushes back quite a bit, which is a bit of a suberversion of the 'parent the husband' trope.

• Love 10
On 5/14/2017 at 10:24 AM, rmontro said:

The only problem I see with this cliffhanger is that if Amy says yes, isn't it going to be a little anticlimactic?  If she is true to her character, there's no way she says no.

As such, it may make more sense if the show skips forward to something that just confirms that they're engaged, like an offhand comment about wedding arrangements, or somebody asking one of them when they're going to set a date.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

In that sense Sheldon being dependent on Amy is just as much an equal partnership as many marriages are.

Well for that matter we've seen that Bernadette treats Howard like a child, particularly where money issues are concerned and he, of course, has spent years in that relationship basically expecting Bernadette to take the place of his mother.  In a lot of ways I'd argue that Sheldon and Amy have a more equal relationship than they do but that said Howard is getting better.

• Love 6
(edited)

I thought this was one of the best episodes in a long time.  I loved when Bernadette squeezed onto the couch between Sheldon and Ramona.  Walking down the stairs as a group was hilarious!!!!  If Amy doesn't say yes right away, I think she'll ask Sheldon why he's proposing now.  If he tells her about Ramona kissing him, I think Amy will turn him down.  She probably wants him to propose without any outside influence affecting his decision to propose.  My husband said something about the actress playing Ramona being so skinny.  She's so fragile, it looks like she might break a bone if someone hugged her.  I know thin is in, especially in Hollywood, but this actress looks unhealthily thin.

Edited by my3sons
  • Love 2

It depends how they spin it of course but I think Sheldon was motivated by realizing how much he loves Amy and he doesn't want to lose her.  He expressed feelings of jealousy early in the episode and that's not something he normally feels.  I think Ramona kissing him made him realize once and for all that he doesn't want to lose Amy.

• Love 4

Is there any chance next season will start with Sheldon standing up, waiting for a response, only to see a hunky guy coming out of the hotel room bathroom in nothing but a towel?  OK, I know it won't, but if anyone's hoping for a twist of any sort, that would certainly do the trick! 

I don't think the writers will take a whole season devoted to the wedding - Howard/Bernie and Penny/Leonard's weddings didn't dominate either of those seasons.  I really do want to have another "Penny takes Sheldon suit shopping" montage, and if Amy doesn't wear the tiara Sheldon gave her I will be seriously disappointed.  In fact, I hope she gets Penny and Bernadette bridesmaid tiaras. 

• Love 8
On 5/12/2017 at 7:40 AM, roughing it said:

I liked the girlfriend who was kinda quirky.  I don't know the actress' name, but she looked like Olive Oyl - big eyes and tiny body.  I thought Raj had the most chemistry with her (and the vet second).

Oh man I hope not. I hated Lucy.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Ciarrai said:

Oh man I hope not. I hated Lucy.

AKA Kate Micucci, the "Oates" of Garfunkel and Oates, with "Ramona" being the other half. I preferred Creepy Emily, but both were pretty one-dimensional.

• Love 4

My theory from the second I saw the ending was that Amy will say no because Sheldon is proposing her for the wrong reason, and in Lorre Land that shows her character's growth. 

On 5/15/2017 at 5:00 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

AKA Kate Micucci, the "Oates" of Garfunkel and Oates, with "Ramona" being the other half. I preferred Creepy Emily, but both were pretty one-dimensional.

I love that they have featured both girls on this show.  I especially loved that they were the ones who wrote the cute song from Howard to Bernie, performed by Howard when Bernie was quarantined in the hospital. 

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

My theory from the second I saw the ending was that Amy will say no because Sheldon is proposing her for the wrong reason, and in Lorre Land that shows her character's growth. 

I love that they have featured both girls on this show.  I especially loved that they were the ones who wrote the cute song from Howard to Bernie, performed by Howard when Bernie was quarantined in the hospital. 

I kind of hope that Amy doesn't say no, because my expectation is that Sheldon proposed because he realized in that moment that he doesn't want anyone else but Amy, and that he never will... so I'd rather they don't go down a road where an innocent kiss (on the part of Sheldon) becomes a relationship obstacle.

I didn't realize that duo wrote Howard's hospital song.  I haven't seen that episode in a long time, but I remember it was really cute.

• Love 12
(edited)
12 minutes ago, AnnaRose said:

I didn't realize that duo wrote Howard's hospital song.  I haven't seen that episode in a long time, but I remember it was really cute.

I both laugh and cry every single darn time I watch it.  I've always meant to check out Garfunkle and Oates, but never remember to do it.  I loved the one who played Lucy when she was on Raising Hope.  She would play the ukulele and make up hilarious songs about what was happening.  For instance, when she ran a daycare center for pets, elders, and children, she wrote a song about why biting is inappropriate. 

I did like how they acknowledged that Ramona had been a character before, but didn't like how they did it.  As posters above said, Penny would have remembered the icky feet grooming and the "Sisters?" with pinkie extended.  Leonard and the guys would definitely have remembered her because she basically took over Sheldon's life for weeks or months.  

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Love 2

I can't believe Sheldon went anywhere other than straight to the airport - he was wearing the same T Shirt the entire time and (apparently) didn't take any luggage with him. I guess he just had the ring on him? But I felt it was in character for Sheldon, while showing character growth, for him to propose - he really didn't see Ramona having any ulterior motives but once he realised she did, he went to the woman he really does have feelings for (and I can't see her saying no).

3 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

I've always meant to check out Garfunkle and Oates, but never remember to do it.

They're really funny (IMO) but also decidedly NSFW.

• Love 1
On 5/18/2017 at 1:55 PM, Cowgirl said:

As posters above said, Penny would have remembered the icky feet grooming and the "Sisters?" with pinkie extended.  Leonard and the guys would definitely have remembered her because she basically took over Sheldon's life for weeks or months.  

I agree, how many girls has Sheldon spent that much time with?  Ramona totally dominated his life during that period.  I know someone pointed out that there was another redhead that admired Sheldon at the end of that episode, but I've seen no other indication that this is a regularly recurring thing.  

• Love 1

What can I say? I love Amy and am so glad to see Sheldon's love for her.  Altho I have to admit sexy Sheldon is a little weird.  The whole episode worked for me and I have to admit I'd like to see a very short mini series about Amy being pregnant and Sheldon being both repulsed as his OCD kicks in  and inquisitive as a man of science at the same time.  And I'd give a month's

mortgage to see Sheldon change a dirty diaper without vomiting.  But not a whole series.

And why does the quote box pop up every time I write a post?

• Love 1

Amy already left Sheldon once, and later she finds out he was planing to propose. Would they really go with her saying NO now?

To me, watching them getting ful plates of food and just moving their forks around the plate is getting annoying. Since I once read the comment about that, I can't not notice it.

And why are they always drinking bottled water? I was thinking about it some time. I don't know the situation in California, is that usual?

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

To me, watching them getting ful plates of food and just moving their forks around the plate is getting annoying. Since I once read the comment about that, I can't not notice it.

And why are they always drinking bottled water? I was thinking about it some time. I don't know the situation in California, is that usual?

The pushing the food around is practically a trademark of the show.  To make it even more noticeable, it seems like they are always eating.

As far as bottled water goes, maybe they don't want to drink tap water?  Of course, some say bottled water has its own issues.  Name your poison, I guess.  I know water shortages are frequently a problem in California, so maybe they are trying to help.

Yes, I noticed it too. But those were very small bites.

And now when I'm thinking...did they toned down with Penny and drinking? It seems so.

But why are they making her "uglier"? Our TV currently has season 9 and season 3 I think, and that is very noticable. Even her clothes changed a lot

(edited)
5 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

But why are they making her "uglier"?

"Uglier"?  I should be so lucky to look like Penny!  They did change her clothes a bit and I think mostly for the better.  When she was 22 she dressed for 22 I think now that she's over 30 if she had continued to dress that way a whole lot of people would be all over this board snarking on her being mutton dressed as lamb, since you know 30 is so gosh darn old and all!

Edited by BlossomCulp
  • Love 12