Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03: Embarrassing the Sister Wives

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Great post, but I only quoted this one passage to respond to.  I've thought a lot about why Maddie chose Kody to officiate.  Maddie, like most of Janelle's other children (excepting Logan), shows the least respect to her father.  So why have him marry them?  I think it comes down to the sealing.  Maddie may have decided to opt out of polygamy, but that doesn't mean she doesn't still believe in the majority of other Mormon teachings.  She said LDS was the only religion she felt her beliefs aligned with, and they apparently rejected her.  Mormons believe you are "sealed" eternally to your spouse.  You're linked eternally, he pulls you through the veil, and you live happily ever after on his planet.  So she chose Kody because he's a priesthood holder, and can seal them spiritually. 

Sealing amuses me a little, because you can be unsealed, and then sealed to another spouse.  Which means you are now sealed to a man who may not be the father of your children, so doesn't that screw up the planets?  And what happens if you die before your husband?  Do you just float around until he dies and pulls you through the veil?  Or does your father pull you through the veil?  What if your father isn't Mormon (I know a couple of women in this situation), and you die unmarried?  No planet life for you?  I could never ask these questions of my LDS friends, because it sounds disrespectful.  But I need to know.

Oh I think baby Ariella is quite doted on.  We see her being passed around and cuddled.  Even Janelle was cuddling her!  Janelle, who's rarely been seen holding another woman's child, or even speaking to one.  I think Solomon was unique because he sealed the Yours, Mine, Ours, with the family.  Been there, done that, TLC is over it.  Good for baby girl if she's not getting a camera shoved in her face 24/7.   Even King Sol is no longer King Sol.  I don't remember even seeing him this season.  Robyn's kids have really had their camera time reduced.  Maybe because Robyn is worn out and doesn't want the cameras in her house.

You cannot, generally, be unsealed and resealed as a woman. There may be some exceptions. Generally only men can do that. 

General reactions: 

I don't really see major differences between Maddie and Mykelti except that Maddie is calmer and more likable. Otherwise they're the same. Demanding and spoiled, just like their father and mothers. Both are 19 year old college dropouts with zero job skills or goals and high expectations for their weddings. Maddie's just better at making promises she won't keep. She doesn't seem mature at all to me. Likable, yes, but childish and impulsive. Willing to throw it all away for a guy. Mykelti seems awkward and out of place. Dangerous for a girl in that spot in her life to get engaged. 

Some say Mariah is spoiled but I don't necessarily see that. She got great grades in school and worked full time throughout, in her chosen field. Aspyn has also done well and volunteered and worked throughout school. Logan has always worked, had a near 4.0 average and is now in grad school. I don't see them getting vacations and tons of "honoring" and favoritism. 

Edited by Lm2162
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, Lm2162 said:

You cannot, generally, be unsealed and resealed as a woman. There may be some exceptions. Generally only men can do that. 

General reactions: 

I don't really see major differences between Maddie and Mykelti except that Maddie is calmer and more likable. Otherwise they're the same. Demanding and spoiled, just like their father and mothers. Both are 19 year old college dropouts with zero job skills or goals and high expectations for their weddings. Maddie's just better at making promises she won't keep. She doesn't seem mature at all to me. Likable, yes, but childish and impulsive. Willing to throw it all away for a guy. Mykelti seems awkward and out of place. Dangerous for a girl in that spot in her life to get engaged. 

Some say Mariah is spoiled but I don't necessarily see that. She got great grades in school and worked full time throughout, in her chosen field. Aspyn has also done well and volunteered and worked throughout school. Logan has always worked, had a near 4.0 average and is now in grad school. I don't see them getting vacations and tons of "honoring" and favoritism. 

Can't a widow be unsealed and then sealed to a new husband?

1 hour ago, RedheadZombie said:

Yes, because women are considered chattel. 

I wonder if Christine's children are held to different chastity standards because they're AUB royalty. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

That makes sense. I've never been off sugar for that long so I wouldn't know the feeling, lol. 

In 2008 I saw a picture of me from Halloween 2007. It prompted me to completely change my diet and hit the gym daily. I went a couple of months with no fast food, no candy, no soda/pop, and only home-cooked meals. When I finally had fast food again (McD's), I could feel my brain and body respond to the fat in the food. It was a kind of euphoria and I still experience (but to a much lesser degree) even today when I have things like that.

And if candy is your weakness, the solution is to put out a candy dish, keep it full, and let yourself gorge. We did that after what I've described in the previous paragraph. I ate a lot of candy for about two weeks and then I got sick of it, pretty much literally; the very thought of eating candy still makes me ill. The only exceptions are Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, Mounds, Kit Kat, and English Toffee, and even then I can't eat more than a couple pieces of each at a time.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

Maddie has gotten sloppy since she's with Caleb, seems like most times she doesn't do her hair or wear makeup and wears tanks with her bra hanging out. Somebody will probably say that shows she is in love and that Caleb accepts her the way she is and blah, blah, blah but compared to older seasons I'm still going to say she is looking sloppy. ;)

I agree.  I'm old so it may be  me but I can't stand the older girl's hair color.  Did they get a good deal on a gallon jug of it?  I don't even know how to describe the color - brownish with a purplish tinge to it, maybe maroon?  It  looks so fake & it seems so harsh against their creamy white skin color. Very unattractive.

Maddie looks like she could care less about her looks.  Her hair (which could use a good conditioning) is piled or pulled back haphazardly while she is wearing those thin cheap tanks with contrasting color bra straps hanging out. She should  at least invest in a racer back type bra since she seems to favor the tank tops. She did look nice in the dress at her shower and her hair was combed so there is hope. 

• Love 5

I think some of Maddie's talking head interviews were filmed after she was already pregnant. Hair dye is not generally recommended during pregnancy and it looked like she hadn't colored her hair. 

Someone upthread mentioned how unladylike Janelle looks when she is sitting down- I think she looks like Humpty Dumpty. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, CofCinci said:

Yes, because women are considered chattel. 

I wonder if Christine's children are held to different chastity standards because they're AUB royalty. 

Ugh. This reminds me of an episode of Numb3rs where some creapy fundamentalist guy wanted a 14 year old because she was pure bred. Completely makes my skin crawl. However in the case of the Browns I think it's more about favoritism and toeing the line. Logan gets a pass because he's a guy. Maddie can live with Caleb because he's the "right" kind of guy and she's  preferred kid. But Mykelti gets the chastity talk because Kody gets off on it and doesn't care if it upsets Mykelti. I firmly believe that even if Tony was the perfect man she all would want our daughters to bring home he would still be giving sex talks to them. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Lm2162 said:

Sealing and unsealing is a huge, formal, Really Big Deal with LDS. I know one family that was unsealed and it was a huge undertaking. The divorce was a huge ordeal, but the unsealing was even more counseling, various levels of temple approval, etc. It was a last resort and will be years of convincing and counseling before former bride and groom can have another temple wedding with others, if they even can.

Who knows with these swinging, spouse swapping off shoot groups who make their own rules.

• Love 2

I find Janelle so strange, especially this season.  It seems as if she has benefited from editing in the past.  Either that or next to the other hot messes, she seems a little less messy.  I just couldn't believe that she continued to drone on and on about fishing.  At first I thought well, they're up there for a few days so why not enjoy the area, which I normally love to see, but then I heard her say she planned to fish ON THE WEDDING DAY!!!  To me, that was completely asinine.  How stupid to put stress on her daughter by demanding that she go fishing.  Saying that she would be going early and it would only take an hour or two and Maddie wouldn't even be awake was just insane.  First of all in my experience fishing never takes an hour or two and even if it does, shouldn't Janelle want to be rested and prepared for the wedding.  I think Maddie was afraid she would come in all crabby and tired and smelly from fishing.  Not to mention that she could possibly get hurt while fishing and ruin the day.  Why can't they just stay an extra day and fish afterward?  It's not like they have JOBS or anything.  That was just plain selfish and ignorant.  The mother of the bride should be a little more supportive, but again we're talking about the Browns.

• Love 20

I wondered about the fishing thing too.  The other wives wrote it off as, "oh, Janelle is just all super-stressed and fishing calms her mind."  Now while I understand that being a mother of the bride is going to be stressful, I cannot comprehend why Janelle was so adamant about fishing the morning of the wedding.  Maddie was right to shut that down.  There's going to be dozens of little things to do the day of the wedding.  I am positive that this was Janelle's way of checking out like she always does.  If she's out on a boat somewhere, she's off the hook for anything that happens while she's gone, and things will fall to the other wives, Maddie, her friends, etc.  This was incredibly selfish on Janelle's part, especially when Maddie told her no and Janelle kept pushing.  I'm not sure I've ever seen Janelle voice an opinion so strongly before on this show, and it was because of fishing on her daughter's wedding day, of all things.

• Love 14

Maddy had to lose 20 pounds to fit into her wedding dress? And she still wasn't what you could call thin. I just hope that after a pregnancy or two, she doesn't end up heavy like her mother. As a teen, she was always the girl who seemed to watch her weight. The others are all over weight and have been since their  early teens.

• Love 1

Fishing is easy at that resort.  Janelle can walk out of her cabin and the river is only a few feet away.  She can fish from the river bank.  There is no boating on these Montana rivers.  Usually the fishermen wade out into the river (think A River Runs Through It) but it isn't necessary.  I think getting up at 6 a.m. for a little fishing from the river bank would be very calming.  Head back to the cabin and get your shower and get ready for the wedding. It's not a big deal.

• Love 14
21 minutes ago, winsomeone said:

Maddy had to lose 20 pounds to fit into her wedding dress? And she still wasn't what you could call thin. I just hope that after a pregnancy or two, she doesn't end up heavy like her mother. As a teen, she was always the girl who seemed to watch her weight. The others are all over weight and have been since their  early teens.

Maddie tried on dresses and then ordered one.  But the issue seems to be now that she is doing her fittings she has lost weight and had them take the dress in.  Janelle mentioned that "Maddie stops eating and loses weight when she's stressed". 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, winsomeone said:

She didn't need to lose any, she just did. So they had to take the dress in. She says she does watch what she eats and I'm sure she's aware of her genetics.

I sure hope none of the younger women read these comments. As someone who has struggled with anorexia 2/3 of her life, some of these comments could be triggering. Maddie may not be marathon-runner thin but she looks just fine. 

• Love 20
24 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

Fishing is easy at that resort.  Janelle can walk out of her cabin and the river is only a few feet away.  She can fish from the river bank.  There is no boating on these Montana rivers.  Usually the fishermen wade out into the river (think A River Runs Through It) but it isn't necessary.  I think getting up at 6 a.m. for a little fishing from the river bank would be very calming.  Head back to the cabin and get your shower and get ready for the wedding. It's not a big deal.

This is what I was thinking. The general consensus was that fishing is how Janelle relaxes, why would it be that big of a deal to do it first thing in the morning before the day. People wouldn't care if she went running or took a long walk so why not let her do what composes her?

• Love 13

I thought the fishing comments were some of the most real feelings ever expressed on this show. I'm right here, the water is over there, I'll get up early and have some peace. Maybe Janelle grew up in a fishing family. I kind of like it when any of these women express an independent thought. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Sometimes no. They generally have to fight the leaders for it. There is controversy over that because polygyny is still in LDS doctrine, but polyandry is not. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

I thought the fishing comments were some of the most real feelings ever expressed on this show. I'm right here, the water is over there, I'll get up early and have some peace. Maybe Janelle grew up in a fishing family. I kind of like it when any of these women express an independent thought. 

I liked it too, I grew up with a fishing grandma but even so... I would respect my daughter's feelings on her wedding day.  No need to upset her.

• Love 11

Janelle is coming off as a bit crazy this season. 

I never liked Janelle and always suspected she was a complete mental health mess. This lifestyle appeals to her because it helps support her dysfunction...without it, she isn't capable of getting through life. 

• Love 11
14 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

No kidding. My mother is 78 years old with arthritis and  recently made 300 cookies all by herself in her regular kitchen for a church event. No way all those people couldn't make 200. 

YAY mom!  It is a fair amount of work but its not like these people have anything else to do.  For one person, especially with arthritic hands, it IS a big deal.  

I bake every year for my staff as well as a few others in our dept.  It is important to me to give every person a dozen cookies (4 varieties total) and I have 13 staff.  It took me a weekend to bake and wrap them up.  I also work a full time job.  All in all I baked 20 dozen cookies.  Bite me Browns.  

• Love 18
5 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Janelle is coming off as a bit crazy this season. 

I never liked Janelle and always suspected she was a complete mental health mess. This lifestyle appeals to her because it helps support her dysfunction...without it, she isn't capable of getting through life. 

Janelle used to be someone I thought was the sanest one of the bunch but now I think she is as nutty as the others. Her inflexibility with the fishing on her daughter's wedding day changed my opinion in a flash.  They must have edited the heck out of her or she played the part of a pet rock very well.

They were not on vacation.  It was Maddie's wedding day (and HER daughter BTW) and important to Maddie.  I am all for women fishing.  And if Janelle happened to prefer running or walking and Maddie requested she refrain from doing so, there is nothing wrong with that.  I know one person who asked her maid of honor to not jog on her wedding day "in case of injuries".  Not a big request. It is only one day!  Fish another day, dammit.

The point of being sister wives is to help each other and between the three of them they couldn't bake 200 cookies?  I have baked more than that at once and I do not have a big kitchen or sister wives lol.

• Love 11

To me, both sides of the great fishing debate had a point that could be argued. However, if we hadn't spent two episodes listening to mama yammering on about the stress daughter has been under, and how it was her mission to alleviate that stress, her own case might have been just a tad stronger.

• Love 11

1. I think Maddie over-reacted to the fishing thing BUT it's her wedding; Janelle knows she's already stressed, which is normal for the week or so leading up to your wedding, so why add to it by antagonizing her over fishing? 

2. Mykelti never wanted to get married in August. She planned to rope her parents into paying for the honeymoon from the get-go. To paraphrase Daffy Duck, she's a greeeedy immature grifter. 

Edited by sucker4reality
  • Love 3

I don't want to be too superficial, but Mykelti and Tony are one fug couple. 

Christine is acting more like Maddy's mother than Janelle. Janelle is so out of it she seems to care about nothing. Except showing her calves. Why can she show those chubby super white legs, yet no one can show ANY arm at all? I so don't get the arm thing. 

I guess I'm just way too monogamous in my thinking, but I just want Kody and Christine to be together and dump the others. Meri is dying to be with a guy who wants to be with her, Janelle seems completely asexual and barely even wants to parent, Robyn is all in but DAMN is she a drag. That negative, miserable vibe she carries around is depressing. Christine is bubbly, fun, and is by far the cutest wife in my opinion. I'm sure she wouldn't mind a little break from wanting the family and not just the man. But I can't get a read on Kody at all. He was all into Robyn when it was new and fresh, now she just seems to be another woman he puts up with. He seems more into Christine these days, but maybe that's just because she has so much camera time. 

Back to super superficial - Maddy was really a very pretty girl with blond hair (I think all the girls were - and except for Aspyn, they're all rocking some weird, fake, unattractive brown). Not sure why she's going with brown and weirdly wavy. 

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, RealityCowgirl said:

To me, both sides of the great fishing debate had a point that could be argued. However, if we hadn't spent two episodes listening to mama yammering on about the stress daughter has been under, and how it was her mission to alleviate that stress, her own case might have been just a tad stronger.

I agree, I can see both sides, too. The thing is, on Janelle's side, if it helps her calm down, perhaps it'll mean she's better prepared for the rest of the day? If she's basically an introvert, the could mean a lot to her being able to handle the noise and people at the wedding (?) I know I need alone time, esp. around the holidays with many gatherings, or I shut down or become VERY IRRITABLE, lol.

Didn't Maddie say she was OK with some of the guys going, including Caleb? Kinda sexist I guess but that seems to be the case for this bunch.

• Love 2

All of the "smart" "negotiations" pertaining to Mykelti's wedding planning are on par with rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.  December, August, honeymoon, no honeymoon, 400 people...these details do not matter.  IMO, responsible parents would be pushing for more time for the kiddos to analyze and discuss their career goals, educational goals, where they want to live, their family planning, etc., not to mention SAVING MONEY all the while for all of the above.  If they can't save up for a beach trip what are they going to do when it's time to rent a new place and first/last/deposit is due, or the car unexpectedly dies?  "Winning" the month of choice is not the ultimate parental goal in this situation!

(This is all rhetorical.  We know very well the Brown's tenuous relationship with logic and money.  I just had to vent.)

"Two daughters married this year!"  I'm sure Christine has zero knowledge of Pride and Prejudice and that she's echoing Mrs. Bennet's sentiment from 200+ years ago, but I got a chuckle out of it.

Edited by LilWharveyGal
  • Love 14
24 minutes ago, Adiba said:

Didn't Maddie say she was OK with some of the guys going, including Caleb? Kinda sexist I guess but that seems to be the case for this bunch.

If someone of EITHER sex needs some alone time and getting away for a couple of hours away from the chaos then it shouldn't be treated like a total betrayal of the bride "on her big day". And while weddings are important to the bride and groom, that does not make them THE Most Important People in the Universe to Whom all Homage Must Be Paid and All Wishes Granted.

So Maddie had one less lackey scurrying around fulfilling her every whim and hanging on her every word.  Big freaking deal, that's life.  Grow up, girl, you won't always be the center of attention.  If she and her mother were thick as thieves it would be one thing.  But they aren't and if it kept Janelle from flaming out then let her excuse herself and chill for a short period.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, Jellybeans said:

Why are we not being shown what Maddie thinks of Mykelti's wedding plans?  Does she even care?  

Yes, I thought this too.  I raised two kids...if you want to know if the other is going to be bothered by something...geez!  Just ask.  There, problem dealt with, move on.

Janelle has just hammered and hammered it in the couch talks.  Maddie isn't going to like this, the other siblings are going to be so upset by Mykelti trying to somehow destroy Maddies specialness.  Gggaaaa So call one of your GIANT family meetings where the kids really don't pay much attention and have a great big pow wow about the siblings' "fillins". I'll bet none of them give a rats ass about any of it.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, MrSmith said:

In 2008 I saw a picture of me from Halloween 2007. It prompted me to completely change my diet and hit the gym daily. I went a couple of months with no fast food, no candy, no soda/pop, and only home-cooked meals. When I finally had fast food again (McD's), I could feel my brain and body respond to the fat in the food. It was a kind of euphoria and I still experience (but to a much lesser degree) even today when I have things like that.

And if candy is your weakness, the solution is to put out a candy dish, keep it full, and let yourself gorge. We did that after what I've described in the previous paragraph. I ate a lot of candy for about two weeks and then I got sick of it, pretty much literally; the very thought of eating candy still makes me ill. The only exceptions are Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, Mounds, Kit Kat, and English Toffee, and even then I can't eat more than a couple pieces of each at a time.

Hmmmm....interesting.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, CofCinci said:

Caleb is the favorite because he is in AUB-adjacent social circles.  Kody loves him because he is open to the polygamist lifestyle. I will not be surprised if Caleb takes on another wife or two in the next decade.  Maddie has already thrown away all the goals she set for herself two years ago.  She is in a lonely, isolated region with a husband gone for days on end.  Soon she'll be alone with a screaming kid and not even enrolled in that single online community college class anymore. She'll long for a sister wife....  

Has Caleb actually said that? That he's open to it for himself? I know the families are close - Kody's brother was married to Caleb's sister. But was Kody's brother polygamist? I thought he was ONLY married to Caleb's sister. Does Caleb have more than one mom. I've never gotten the impression that he is interested in polygamy, and I don't think Maddie would put up with it either. She may have bailed on going to school (although, there have apparently been SM posts about her attending some class or another), but a lot of young people do that for love. It's sad, but true. I still see her as pretty level headed and strong willed, and she was always pretty adamant against plural marriage. 

At this point, the only one I see really going that route is Aurora. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

I agree. What time was the wedding? Wedding days can tend to drag for those who aren't directly involved in the ceremony. I don't think it would be a big deal to fish for a bit in the am, as long as Maddie didn't need her for something. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

So Maddie had one less lackey scurrying around fulfilling her every whim and hanging on her every word.  Big freaking deal, that's life.  Grow up, girl, you won't always be the center of attention.  If she and her mother were thick as thieves it would be one thing.  But they aren't and if it kept Janelle from flaming out then let her excuse herself and chill for a short period.

I took Maddie's detailed lists and bossiness in stride, because Maddie knows her family is a cluster**** when it comes to getting anywhere on time or doing anything in a semi-cohesive manner.  Added to that is the fact that Kody, the supposed head of this family, is the flightiest of them all.  Without Maddie spelling out what she needed from every member of that family, they'd all be wandering everywhere, impossible to corral.  We know Kody is useless in that manner, because no one listens to him.  I was all, "GO MADDIE" during her no-nonsense talk with her family.

• Love 19
5 hours ago, Runnergirl said:

She didn't need to lose any, she just did. So they had to take the dress in. She says she does watch what she eats and I'm sure she's aware of her genetics.

I sure hope none of the younger women read these comments. As someone who has struggled with anorexia 2/3 of her life, some of these comments could be triggering. Maddie may not be marathon-runner thin but she looks just fine. 

I hope none of the comments are triggering for you. I've never struggled with my body image and so I don't have any idea how hard a thing that is to combat. I know it's tough from what I've seen of people on TV that have struggled with it. Personally, I'm worried for my niece, who is on the heavy side. Her mother and her mother's friend have made her conscious about her weight; her father is downright cruel and nasty about it. We noticed when she comes to visit us that she's watching what everyone else eats and will make comments to them about "Are you sure you should be eating that?" and so on. We also noticed that she's become a closet eater; she once ate almost a dozen doughnuts overnight (in one night!) on a visit. We don't make comments about her weight (either to her or privately), but I'm worried that she'll become bulimic.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, greekmom said:

The wives being "embarrassed" over the lingerie is an EMBARRASSMENT in itself.  For gawd's sake. One of you was in DEBT at Victoria's Secret and all of you are sharing the Douche's willy.  Get over yourselves and stop acting like simpering maidens.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!  

When Christine said she gave up sugar I assume she meant all white flour products which are in the sugar category, not just candy.   She is probably on a low carb regime. 

I love that the all think that their grown kids are chaste.  Riiiiiiiiiiight.  Logan?  Mattie and Caleb?  Tony and Mykelti?  pfffffft.  Tony used to be Catholic so he had no reason not to screw anyone he wanted.  Unfortunately Mykelti may be the only taker.  sigh

4 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I agree. What time was the wedding? Wedding days can tend to drag for those who aren't directly involved in the ceremony. I don't think it would be a big deal to fish for a bit in the am, as long as Maddie didn't need her for something. 

I think she wants her mom there in the morning, just to be there, maybe help her get dressed?   It is not an unreasonable request.  Sometimes you just need your mom.  A wedding day would be one of those times.   She is not being a brat or demanding to ask this of Janelle.  I would think Janelle would want to be there, but she is not the warm fuzzy type so there is that.  Much ado about not much. 

I would buy cookies too, if TLC were paying.  Why do that among a sea of kids who will want to help and lick things? 

3 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

I hope none of the comments are triggering for you. I've never struggled with my body image and so I don't have any idea how hard a thing that is to combat. I know it's tough from what I've seen of people on TV that have struggled with it. Personally, I'm worried for my niece, who is on the heavy side. Her mother and her mother's friend have made her conscious about her weight; her father is downright cruel and nasty about it. We noticed when she comes to visit us that she's watching what everyone else eats and will make comments to them about "Are you sure you should be eating that?" and so on. We also noticed that she's become a closet eater; she once ate almost a dozen doughnuts overnight (in one night!) on a visit. We don't make comments about her weight (either to her or privately), but I'm worried that she'll become bulimic.

This is very sad.  She could develop an eating disorder or just keep gaining and become very heavy.   Too bad.  How old is she?  

1 minute ago, wings707 said:

This is very sad.  She could develop an eating disorder or just keep gaining and become very heavy.   Too bad.  How old is she?  

She just turned 14 in October. I know she doesn't have very good self-esteem, either. We try to compliment her and make a big deal of her other accomplishments when she visits us or we visit her, in an effort to counteract the harm (however well-intentioned by her mother and her mother's friend) being done to her.

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Has Caleb actually said that? That he's open to it for himself? I know the families are close - Kody's brother was married to Caleb's sister. But was Kody's brother polygamist? I thought he was ONLY married to Caleb's sister. Does Caleb have more than one mom. I've never gotten the impression that he is interested in polygamy, and I don't think Maddie would put up with it either. She may have bailed on going to school (although, there have apparently been SM posts about her attending some class or another), but a lot of young people do that for love. It's sad, but true. I still see her as pretty level headed and strong willed, and she was always pretty adamant against plural marriage. 

At this point, the only one I see really going that route is Aurora. 

Kody's brother (who has passed away, motorcycle accident I think?) broke away from AUB/Polygamy and was a normal Christian.  (by that I mean non-LDS)

He was on one episode years ago along with his wife, and they both made it CRYSTAL clear that they weren't into the plyg thing at. all.

I don't get that squicky feeling that others get about Caleb.  They're related by marriage only, not by blood in any way. 

I think that it was that crazy gun toting polygamist who was on the show a couple years ago (forgot his name) who made the insinuation that Caleb was "polygamist related" by responding on either Twitter or FB that he'd just had dinner with him.  Forgot the polygamist's name but he's one of those attention hos like Kody.  I personally think he just said it to start some shit, but it doesn't matter.  It would be like saying just because I have a friend who voted for Trump, that automatically makes me a Trump supporter.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, EmeraldGirl said:

I don't want to be too superficial, but Mykelti and Tony are one fug couple. 

I don't want to be superficial, either.  But I am seriously hoping we are not going to be expected to watch treated to an episode showing them on their honeymoon rolling around on the beach in swimsuits making out.  I do not need to see that. 

2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I am thinking it's not so much about Maddie needing attention or help as much as it's about her just wanting Janelle to be fully focused and present on the big day.  She has probably watched her mom drift half-heartedly and detached through the background of lots of special occasions and events and I can understand her not wanting that to happen at her wedding.  The truth is even on a good day, Janelle is only half there.  I wouldn't be agreeing to her fishing excursion either, because it seems like it's just another Janelle excuse to become disengaged. 

• Love 17

I just saw Tony for the first time.  Here's a sentence I never thought I'd type - he's SO much worse than I'd thought from reading the comments.  That's a flat no and run as fast as you can in the opposite direction girl is completely out of her mind type person. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, DakotaJustice said:

Kody's brother (who has passed away, motorcycle accident I think?) broke away from AUB/Polygamy and was a normal Christian.  (by that I mean non-LDS)

He was on one episode years ago along with his wife, and they both made it CRYSTAL clear that they weren't into the plyg thing at. all.

I don't get that squicky feeling that others get about Caleb.  They're related by marriage only, not by blood in any way. 

I think that it was that crazy gun toting polygamist who was on the show a couple years ago (forgot his name) who made the insinuation that Caleb was "polygamist related" by responding on either Twitter or FB that he'd just had dinner with him.  Forgot the polygamist's name but he's one of those attention hos like Kody.  I personally think he just said it to start some shit, but it doesn't matter.  It would be like saying just because I have a friend who voted for Trump, that automatically makes me a Trump supporter.

I've never felt it's squicky that way. They aren't related. But he is part of the "family" in that his family is known to them and not an outsider so he's accepted by the Browns. We all know Tony is so very yikes, but even if he was great, they wouldn't like him because he's an outsider.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I just saw Tony for the first time.  Here's a sentence I never thought I'd type - he's SO much worse than I'd thought from reading the comments.  That's a flat no and run as fast as you can in the opposite direction girl is completely out of her mind type person. 

Right?  It really is something you need to see for yourself.  I can excuse a lot in a person if they have it good heart and honest intentions.  But this one.  Money grubbing famewhore just oozes out of every pore.  

• Love 7
2 hours ago, MrSmith said:

They're not triggering for me. It's not really a body image issue--the illness uses that as a catalyst and an excuse to restrict food intake. It's more about control. Anorexia is actually somewhat rare but one of the most deadly mental illnesses out there.  And once you're anorexic it never really goes away; it always lies in wait, never lets go. My worst bout was 2006--7% body fat and my kidneys were starting to fail. Being a runner doesn't help, always chasing the perfect "race" weight for best performance (I don't race any more but still get caught up in it).

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Dude. His VOICE. It's like he's got a Wizard of Oz Munchkin lodged in his throat.

• Love 23
58 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

But I am seriously hoping we are not going to be expected to watch treated to an episode showing them on their honeymoon rolling around on the beach in swimsuits making out.

Oh, geez, thanks for ruining my dinner with that awful visual.  Need Tums.

• Love 6