Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03: Embarrassing the Sister Wives

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, DakotaJustice said:

I don't get that squicky feeling that others get about Caleb.  They're related by marriage only, not by blood in any way. 

I agree.  It appeared that he and Maddie have a good relationship judging by the teasing and banter at the cake tasting.  They seemed normal.  

1 hour ago, Runnergirl said:

Dude. His VOICE. It's like he's got a Wizard of Oz Munchkin lodged in his throat.

Or like a whole box of Dunkin donut holes lodged in his throat more likely. Are they called Munchkins? I have a fever and the plague and honestly my mind isn't working so well this evening and it was pretty funny in my head.

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 9
15 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Can't a widow be unsealed and then sealed to a new husband?

Yes, they can.  The topic of "sealed and unsealed" was a storyline on Big Love.  When Barb's mother got remarried, her daughters main concern was whether she planned to be sealed with her new husband instead of their late father. 

6 hours ago, EmeraldGirl said:

Christine is bubbly, fun, and is by far the cutest wife in my opinion. I'm sure she wouldn't mind a little break from wanting the family and not just the man.

Christine seems to be the nicest one in the group.  On talk shows, she comes across as warm and friendly while the others appear wary and guarded.  

• Love 2

Christine is the warmest, but I suspect she's also the best at keeping sweet on the surface and being a terror scrapping for what's hers when Kody isn't around.

Speaking of Big Love, Christine is the Nikki.

She seems like she's always 'on'. 

Edited by RazzleberryPie
  • Love 2

Can anyone explain Tony to me? I haven't watched everything, but I see an unattractive, inarticulate, weird voiced moocher. How far has he gone in school? Is he bringing anything to the table? Weirdly spelled Mykelti (is that even right?) cannot be that desperate to marry. I'm just perplexed by all of it. Who the hell is he? I know she's not bringing a lot to the table either, but it's not like the guy is Bill Gates. 

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Speaking of Big Love, Christine is the Nikki.

I think the only thing Christine and Nikki have in common is that they are both polyg royalty.  Nikki was a manipulative conniver; she reminds me of one of the other wives.  I think Christine's sweet and bubbly personality is more like Margene's. 

Something about Tony is setting off my alarm bells.  I can't get over the fact that he thinks Mykelti's parents should mortgage their homes, to pay for their  wedding.  It wouldn't surprise me if he "seeked" her out after finding out who she is.   

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

I think the only thing Christine and Nikki have in common is that they are both polyg royalty.  Nikki was a manipulative conniver; she reminds me of one of the other wives.  I think Christine's sweet and bubbly personality is more like Margene's. 

Something about Tony is setting off my alarm bells.  I can't get over the fact that he thinks Mykelti's parents should mortgage their homes, to pay for their  wedding.  It wouldn't surprise me if he "seeked" her out after finding out who she is.   

She's polyg royalty, paranoid, and not really wanted too much by her husband, too. I don't dislike Christine, but think she's fake. They all connive and maneuver to some extent, but that's what seems to be required for survival in that world. 

Kolleen the anti polyg girl nailed Christine as being the typical polyg compound wife, too - playing the part of bejng bubbly and sweet, but ready to cut any woman or child who kept her from picking up her scraps from the pile.

Sadly I don't think there is a Margene of the group. Not much of a Barb either, but I guess if I had to pick one it would be Meri. No idea who Janelle or Robyn would be. 

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

Or like a whole box of Dunkin donut holes lodged in his throat more likely. Are they called Munchkins? I have a fever and the plague and honestly my mind isn't working so well this evening and it was pretty funny in my head.

Lol. Dunks makes munchkins, too. Either is plausible. 

What does "polyg royalty" actually mean and how is Christine polyg royalty? 

Mykelti's ring is ugly.

Lingerie bridal showers don't bother me at all and even I was uncomfortable with Caleb giving Maddie that gift in front of everybody. It's one thing if your friends are helping you out by getting you pretty things. It's another thing altogether when everybody knows the kind of bras and panties your husband picks for you. That was in poor taste I thought. It crossed a line somehow.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

What does "polyg royalty" actually mean and how is Christine polyg royalty? 

Mykelti's ring is ugly.

Lingerie bridal showers don't bother me at all and even I was uncomfortable with Caleb giving Maddie that gift in front of everybody. It's one thing if your friends are helping you out by getting you pretty things. It's another thing altogether when everybody knows the kind of bras and panties your husband picks for you. That was in poor taste I thought. It crossed a line somehow.

Granddaughter of one of the most recent prophets/leaders, founders, etc. She's a pure bred polyg. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

She's polyg royalty, paranoid, and not really wanted too much by her husband, too. I don't dislike Christine, but think she's fake. They all connive and maneuver to some extent, but that's what seems to be required for survival in that world. 

Kolleen the anti polyg girl nailed Christine as being the typical polyg compound wife, too - playing the part of bejng bubbly and sweet, but ready to cut any woman or child who kept her from picking up her scraps from the pile.

Sadly I don't think there is a Margene of the group. Not much of a Barb either, but I guess if I had to pick one it would be Meri. No idea who Janelle or Robyn would be. 

Maybe Robyn would be Nikki's mom or close to it? She was the one who climbed over five or six wives to get the top spot? Robyn pretty much did the same thing.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 4

Somebody enlighten me. What's the damn obsession with the groom crying at the wedding? 

Fishing. Janelle said she just wants Hunter to have the experience because it's important to HIM. Did the sister wives miss that? Everybody is saying It's relaxing for Janelle but she's thinking about Hunter getting to fish. Sorry I didn't know the trip was about Hunter. Does she want to raise selfish assholes? Because that's what she'll get by making a big deal over fish on the day of the wedding when everyone is stressed. How about offer to take your daughter to breakfast or something special for mother and daughter instead of thinking about Hunter's fishing experience? 

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

Everybody is saying It's relaxing for Janelle but she's thinking about Hunter getting to fish. Sorry I didn't know the trip was about Hunter.

I've noticed in this episode that Janelle takes on others' feelings often, i.e. "Hunter would enjoy fishing", "Your siblings would be so upset about you having an August wedding", "Hunter and Garret (?) would miss your wedding if you have it in August" "Maddie is going to be so mad". Probably a way of channeling her own emotions since her skills in expressing herself are not developed enough, OR taking up others' emotions since she is generally so numb, or both. 
I wish she would just focus on herself and speak for herself and not try to indirectly maneuver situations like this.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, Adeejay said:

Yes, they can.  The topic of "sealed and unsealed" was a storyline on Big Love.  When Barb's mother got remarried, her daughters main concern was whether she planned to be sealed with her new husband instead of their late father. 

Christine seems to be the nicest one in the group.  On talk shows, she comes across as warm and friendly while the others appear wary and guarded.  

Big Love isn't an accurate representation of LDS doctrine. Women can only be sealed to one man in their lifetime unless they go through a lengthy cancellation process (perhaps proving extensive abuse). After being widowed, they can be sealed by proxy after their *own* deaths, but it is believed they will only be with one man in the afterlife and Heavenly Father will choose. In life they can only be sealed to one man unless they get a sealing "cancellation" (which is generally not after a death of a spouse). This is because LDS doctrine still allows polygyny but not polyandry, and because only your male spouse can allow you into the afterlife. 

• Love 1
On 12/12/2016 at 1:45 PM, Absolom said:

They aren't really the same: http://www.differencebetween.net/miscellaneous/fashion-beauty/differences-between-bohemian-and-hippie/

But then Maddie didn't seem to either go bohemian or hippy at her wedding.  That dress she wore was definitely neither.

That was pretty general, but I like the explanation and history of bohemian on this page better:

https://bellatory.com/fashion-industry/BohoTheFashionHistoryofBohemianClothes

Having grown up in NYC (esp. Greenwich Village) in the '60s and '70s and always being into fashion, I see bohemian fashion as more classically gypsy-like, with peasant blouses, large hoop earrings, long flowing printed dirndl skirts, bandanas, etc., while hippy fashion can incorporate much of bohemian fashion while modernizing and casualizing it even more with old, torn, faded bell bottom blue jeans, tie dyed tee shirts, floppy brimmed sun hats, large pendant necklaces, fringed leather vests, headbands, chokers, and rugged leather boots.  The boho look predated the hippie look and the latter in many ways came out of and borrowed from the former.

That said, I don't think Maddie understands even on an intuitive level any of this.  She's not alone, though.  I see some explanations on the internet from so-called "experts" that are pretty misinformed.  I think she thinks boho is anything free-form and casual when it's a lot more than that.

• Love 3
On 12/12/2016 at 4:07 PM, Kohola3 said:

It doesn't mean squat when you pick the same dress as 500 other brides do on Say Yes to the Dress.  Strapless, form-fitting with an exploding bottom.  The most boring and ubiquitous wedding dress ever designed.  It's not bohemian, it's not hippy, it's indistinguishable from all others of the same silhouette.  And I agree with 3girlsforus with all of this theme crap.  The theme is called "wedding".

ITA but when I said pretty much the same thing at the end of last season I was told that the wedding dress or the dress of the entire wedding party doesn't need to match the theme of the wedding, but I think it should or else it dilutes the theme quite a bit.  I'm with you, though, on not loving this whole trend towards gimmicks and themes at weddings.  To me it's just another way special snowflakes can believe they've put their own personal "stamp" on their wedding, but I think it kind of loses that significance when it ends up being just like 20,000 other weddings out there all trying to be special and non-traditional.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 6
On 12/12/2016 at 10:46 PM, NotEatingKale said:

Also, Maddie and Caleb are living together??? In sin??? Not to mention Logan and Michelle are living together, too, and they're not even engaged. But Mykelti is the one receiving all this frou frou from her father about the chastity of a relationship before marriage? That is so incredibly unfair. It is so true that Christine's children receive the worst treatment.

I agree that Christine's kids get the worst treatment, but I think in this case the reason Kodouche is on Mykelti and Tony about chastity and not Maddie and Caleb could be because Mykelti and Tony have said they want to remain chaste before marriage.  I'm not sure, but it could be that Maddie and Caleb have not said they were going to remain chaste prior to marriage.  Maddie's certainly shown signs of breaking with her family's religious observances with things such as wearing a strapless gown, so I'm thinking that's what it is.

On 12/12/2016 at 9:24 PM, Armchair Critic said:

Maddie has gotten sloppy since she's with Caleb, seems like most times she doesn't do her hair or wear makeup and wears tanks with her bra hanging out. Somebody will probably say that shows she is in love and that Caleb accepts her the way she is and blah, blah, blah but compared to older seasons I'm still going to say she is looking sloppy. ;)

Ah, but in Maddie's mind it's not sloppy, it's "bohemian", LOL.  ITA, BTW.  She's really let her appearance go.  I commented on how unwashed, unkempt her hair looked late last season when she first tried on the wedding gown.  She looked like she hadn't bathed in a week!

• Love 2

Caleb was 26 and she was 16 and everybody is bragging about their strong "connection" when they met. I have a 15 yr old daughter and I'm completely creeped by how they are acting about this guy. I have no problem with age gaps but not when one partner is underage. I think one partner should be at least 21 when there's an age gap like that. Honestly, her brain won't be fully developed until she's 25. In my neighborhood, Caleb would be on the sex offender watch list because no way would that fly with my daughter. Fuck that. Would it have been ok if the "connection" were between 16 yr old Mykelti and 26 yr old FT? 

• Love 13

Christine's profuse apology to Robyn seemed forced. Her acting isn't any better now than when she squealed with the delight at the sight of Robyn's pregnant belly a couple seasons ago. 

I think Christine is funny sometimes. I actually lol'd at the thought of her doing an interpretive dance during Janelle's wedding speech. But sometimes she needs to just calm the hell down. There's a time and place and the cookie tasting wasn't the time or place. That lady was looking at her like she was freaking stupid. I would have been embarrassed by her behavior. Sometimes I think she's overcompensating for the fact that she's actually miserable. 

• Love 14
14 hours ago, Runnergirl said:

Dude. His VOICE. It's like he's got a Wizard of Oz Munchkin lodged in his throat.

This is extremely accurate.  To me, it sounds like he always needs to clear his throat.  So when he kisses Mykelti, I'm with Truely - it's "GROSS."

And I am so over listening to Janelle state over and over that Mykelti's wedding will tick off Maddie.  How?  In what way?  Maddie's wedding was set and in the full preparation stages when Mykelti stomped her foot and insisted on August.  How does that affect Maddie's wedding?  Not to mention, Maddie and Mykelti have two different mothers so as far as "taking time away from Madison," that's a ridiculous excuse.  Unless Mykelti decided to have Maddie as her maid of honor, it wouldn't affect Maddie in the least.  Unfortunatley, knowing how this show rolls, we're going to hear about 17 different flashbacks of every single adult whining about how Mykelti's wedding will mess with Maddie's.  They do enjoy taking a moot point and beating us all over the heads with it (see also: "persecution," "losing my cookie," "baby sister," "catfish," "wet bar").

• Love 11

Full disclosure:  I haven't watched this bowl of swill for years. I get all that I need from the hearty members of the forum that have the guts to watch and report. 

So here is my confusion - isn't Maddie already married?  Wasn't the wedding already covered in all of the sleazy tabloids?  Isn't this all kind of after the fact drama?  I mean, she's married, nobody killed each other at the reception, she's already knocked up....so move on already.  It's like reading a mystery book when you read the ending first.

• Love 5

They think we're interested in the ins and outs of wedding planning. As if there aren't enough shows that cover the subject.

I just caught another clip of the proposal and Mykeltie and Tony kiss weird. It's almost like he's attacking her but not at all aggressive. So he's passively kissing her by pushing his face into hers as hard as he can. It's hard do describe because it doesn't seem like they're kissing, just touching faces. And she's always backing away. I don't see the chemistry.

At least Mykelti didn't say "Tony and I's wedding". 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Nowhere said:

Christine's profuse apology to Robyn seemed forced. Her acting isn't any better now than when she squealed with the delight at the sight of Robyn's pregnant belly a couple seasons ago. 

I think Christine is funny sometimes. I actually lol'd at the thought of her doing an interpretive dance during Janelle's wedding speech. But sometimes she needs to just calm the hell down. There's a time and place and the cookie tasting wasn't the time or place. That lady was looking at her like she was freaking stupid. I would have been embarrassed by her behavior. Sometimes I think she's overcompensating for the fact that she's actually miserable. 

This is a good instance of why I think Christine is fake and 'on' most of the time. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

So, Janelle will go fishing and the suspense will be if she makes it to the wedding in time, I suppose.

I think Janelle said she wouldn't go. I would've had no prob. if my mom had done something for an hour or twothe morning of my wedding day (my ceremony wasn't til 2:30)-- but my mother is punctual and even early most times. My MIL, though-- habitually late-- she's the type you have to lie and say the event is earlier.  So I guess it would depend on whether Janelle is the former or the latter and what time the wedding was. Maddie did tweet that her mom never goes fishing for just an hour-- more like all day-- so I could understand her concern to a point. 

The thing that bothers me about some brides is the assumption that they can and must control every little detail about their wedding day. It adds too much stress and pressure, imo. Things can and do --not go exactly as planned that day ( that's life, too). If at the end of the day you are happily married, that's what is important. Stuff did not go exactly right at my wedding, and I'm still happily married 34 years later. 

Lastly, if it were my daughter gettting married, I wouldn't go fishing on her wedding day, because heaven forbid something happened and I was late, I'd never hear the end of it for the rest of my life :)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

This is extremely accurate.  To me, it sounds like he always needs to clear his throat.  So when he kisses Mykelti, I'm with Truely - it's "GROSS."

And I am so over listening to Janelle state over and over that Mykelti's wedding will tick off Maddie.  How?  In what way?  Maddie's wedding was set and in the full preparation stages when Mykelti stomped her foot and insisted on August.  How does that affect Maddie's wedding?  Not to mention, Maddie and Mykelti have two different mothers so as far as "taking time away from Madison," that's a ridiculous excuse.  Unless Mykelti decided to have Maddie as her maid of honor, it wouldn't affect Maddie in the least.  Unfortunatley, knowing how this show rolls, we're going to hear about 17 different flashbacks of every single adult whining about how Mykelti's wedding will mess with Maddie's.  They do enjoy taking a moot point and beating us all over the heads with it (see also: "persecution," "losing my cookie," "baby sister," "catfish," "wet bar").

Add negotiation to the list.  Gahh!!!!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Nowhere said:

So he's passively kissing her by pushing his face into hers as hard as he can. It's hard do describe because it doesn't seem like they're kissing, just touching faces. And she's always backing away. I don't see the chemistry.

I noticed this too.  He comes at her like he is going to shove his face into a cherry pie at a pie eating contest and she always backs away.  That is NOT a sign that "he's safe, he will protect me, I love him" Her words to describe him, and her feelings just don't add up with her body language at all.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

I noticed this too.  He comes at her like he is going to shove his face into a cherry pie at a pie eating contest and she always backs away.  That is NOT a sign that "he's safe, he will protect me, I love him" Her words to describe him, and her feelings just don't add up with her body language at all.

I just picked up on this myself. What she says and how she acts seems like 2 different things. 

• Love 1

I think it is ok for a bride to be a control freak up to a point on her wedding day with her mom, sisters and attendants.  I mean it is just a few hours, not days or weeks.  It probably gives the bride a false sense of security/calmness.  Enough of that.  

I agree there is zero chemistry between Tony and her but sadly I think they will get married no matter what.  I wonder what the real reason is...

• Love 4
10 hours ago, CofCinci said:

I doubt Robyn went through a lengthy process to be unsealed from exhusband and then resealed to Kody. Probably involved getting on knees. Not that hard for Robyn. 

My understanding is that they were not sealed since he was not a member in good standing and they had not kept the law of chastity. 

• Love 1

Keep in mind that AUB sealing and unsealing, or marriage, divorce, baptism, etc., are a whole lot looser and freer than mainstream LDS. Not every LDS member has a temple wedding, sealing, etc., for various reasons (some don't live near a temple, some don't have recommends yet, some just don't see the need). AUB marches to their own beat, especially with the spiritual weddings, and frequent divorces and remarriages, etc.  

4 minutes ago, Lm2162 said:

My understanding is that they were not sealed since he was not a member in good standing and they had not kept the law of chastity. 

This. 

4 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Keep in mind that AUB sealing and unsealing, or marriage, divorce, baptism, etc., are a whole lot looser and freer than mainstream LDS. Not every LDS member has a temple wedding, sealing, etc., for various reasons (some don't live near a temple, some don't have recommends yet, some just don't see the need). AUB marches to their own beat, especially with the spiritual weddings, and frequent divorces and remarriages, etc.  

This. 

This is also true because in Utah, polygamy is illegal. So they don't always follow the rules to a T because they're hiding out. 

In my experience, LDS members who don't get sealed are very much looked down on. It seems like the AUB is more freewheeling because everything they're doing is pretty sketchy anyway. 

Edited by Lm2162
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

I think she thinks boho is anything free-form and casual when it's a lot more than that.

Maddie wants a Pintrest Wedding. She is just applying the word "boho" to it!

So they don't always follow the rules to a T because they're hiding out. 

....in plain sight.

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Lm2162 said:

This is also true because in Utah, polygamy is illegal. So they don't always follow the rules to a T because they're hiding out. 

In my experience, LDS members who don't get sealed are very much looked down on. It seems like the AUB is more freewheeling because everything they're doing is pretty sketchy anyway. 

Polygamy is illegal everywhere in the US. I grew up in western Virginia and now live in Southwestern PA. I have some very good LDS friends, and it's a whole different ballgame out here. Fewer get married in temples, etc., because there just aren't any. Baltimore is the closest I think, and it is hours away. Not being sealed isn't as big a deal here, and a lot do it after they've been married for a little bit, when they get an opportunity to actually go through all the recommends, counseling, etc. and get to a temple. 

3 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Polygamy is illegal everywhere in the US. I grew up in western Virginia and now live in Southwestern PA. I have some very good LDS friends, and it's a whole different ballgame out here. Fewer get married in temples, etc., because there just aren't any. Baltimore is the closest I think, and it is hours away. Not being sealed isn't as big a deal here, and a lot do it after they've been married for a little bit, when they get an opportunity to actually go through all the recommends, counseling, etc. and get to a temple. 

Yeah, you're right, it's illegal everywhere. I've only heard of active prosecution in Utah because they want to distance themselves from polygamy. 

When I was LDS, I lived in New York, TN, Utah and California. I didn't know anybody who wasn't sealed who wasn't pretty actively shunned or considered unworthy. Most people I knew said they'd never get married except in the temple; people who didn't were considered "inactive" and got visits from the missionaries, even if they attended church. I assume it's different in places with very few Mormons. Either way the doctrine says you can't get into the celestial kingdom without being sealed. 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Lm2162 said:

I've only heard of active prosecution in Utah because they want to distance themselves from polygamy. 

Utah and Arizona only actively prosecute for welfare fraud, domestic violence and child abuse in the fundamental sects, not polygamy. No prosecution for polygamy, despite what the Browns blabber on about.

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Nowhere said:

They think we're interested in the ins and outs of wedding planning. As if there aren't enough shows that cover the subject.

I just caught another clip of the proposal and Mykeltie and Tony kiss weird. It's almost like he's attacking her but not at all aggressive. So he's passively kissing her by pushing his face into hers as hard as he can. It's hard do describe because it doesn't seem like they're kissing, just touching faces. And she's always backing away. I don't see the chemistry.

At least Mykelti didn't say "Tony and I's wedding". 

I remember watching the "Previously on Sister Wives" segment on Sunday, and watching the clip where Mykelti asks Tony to put the ring on. What the hell? Tony, you just asked for the girl's hand and SHE has to ask YOU to put the ring after she says yes? Something seems iff in their relationship...unless he was so excited about her saying yes...but then again...

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

I remember watching the "Previously on Sister Wives" segment on Sunday, and watching the clip where Mykelti asks Tony to put the ring on. What the hell? Tony, you just asked for the girl's hand and SHE has to ask YOU to put the ring after she says yes? Something seems iff in their relationship...unless he was so excited about her saying yes...but then again...

By no means do I think every couple has to act like rabid dogs in heat, but those two seem to have zero physical interaction or interest with each other.  It's like they're playing wedding and that's about it. 

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Polygamy is illegal everywhere in the US. I grew up in western Virginia

40 minutes ago, Lm2162 said:

Yeah, you're right, it's illegal everywhere. I've only heard of active prosecution in Utah because they want to distance themselves from polygamy.

Bigamy is illegal in all states in the US.  You can not legally get married to more than one person at a time.  However if you choose to live with two related or unrelated people and the three or more of you choose to live a life that would be a multiple marriage, that is up to you.  Marriage is truly the commitment that you make with another person or in the case of polygamy, people.  The legalities and the legal things that come with those legalities are what is governed.

Utah is the only state (because they wanted to prove that they were completely against polygamy that was openly practiced) that added cohabitation to their state laws to be accepted as a state.  That is what polygamists do.  They only have one legal marriage and the rest of the wives either live in completely different homes or they "cohabitate".  One man living with several women that he is not related to....well, not closely related to.   This is what Christine speaks of when she describes her Grand parents going to jail for "being polygamists".  They used to actively prosecute the cohabitation laws, and when Kody did his lawsuit it was the cohabitation laws that he was trying to overturn.  In the modern day I'm sure children are still taught like Christine was.  Fear the outside, be fearful of speaking about your family because the boogey man evil outside world government is gonna come and take you in the night...because you are polygamists!!

• Love 8
50 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

Utah and Arizona only actively prosecute for welfare fraud, domestic violence and child abuse in the fundamental sects, not polygamy. No prosecution for polygamy, despite what the Browns blabber on about.

They used to do it pretty frequently for cohabitation (an extra thing that most states don't have laws against), as @Roslyn says.

It began due to the state's clash with JS.

Edited by Lm2162
On 12/12/2016 at 0:44 PM, Oldernowiser said:

Okay, I read that link, so if "bohemian" means wearing vintage clothing (from any era, right?) and mixing them for fashionista points and "hippie" means wearing whatever you want because freedom (and presumably vintage hallucinogenics), what if a hippie dresser wants to wear vintage clothing from different eras and looks really good doing it? Is she still hippie or is she accidentally bohemian? Is it a matter of intent?

Showing myself out...

PS. Seriously, that article made no sense. Needed photos or diagrams or something. But the attempt to educate those of us who are tragically unhip is appreciated.

Ha...I so agree. It read to me like an idea salad written by a 20-something fashion know-it-all who can't bear the idea that a lot of the so-called bohemian flavors look EXACTLY like the counterculture influence of the 1960s. Every generation has the tendency to believe they've broken the mold with something REALLY UNIQUE, when the reality is that cultural sensibility--including fashion--is a shifting landscape built on all the tastes and influence of earlier eras. IMO, the prime difference between "bohemian" and "hippie" is semantic. ;)

Edited by SometimesBites
20 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

Bigamy is illegal in all states in the US.  You can not legally get married to more than one person at a time.  However if you choose to live with two related or unrelated people and the three or more of you choose to live a life that would be a multiple marriage, that is up to you.  Marriage is truly the commitment that you make with another person or in the case of polygamy, people.  The legalities and the legal things that come with those legalities are what is governed.

Utah is the only state (because they wanted to prove that they were completely against polygamy that was openly practiced) that added cohabitation to their state laws to be accepted as a state.  That is what polygamists do.  They only have one legal marriage and the rest of the wives either live in completely different homes or they "cohabitate".  One man living with several women that he is not related to....well, not closely related to.   This is what Christine speaks of when she describes her Grand parents going to jail for "being polygamists".  They used to actively prosecute the cohabitation laws, and when Kody did his lawsuit it was the cohabitation laws that he was trying to overturn.  In the modern day I'm sure children are still taught like Christine was.  Fear the outside, be fearful of speaking about your family because the boogey man evil outside world government is gonna come and take you in the night...because you are polygamists!!

Thanks for the clarification on this. I know that bigamy is illegal obviously,  but for some reason I didn't put together why it was such a problem in Utah, but Nevada was A-Okay. It never made sense but I also didn't care enough to look into it, so thanks for the concise explanation.

• Love 1
Just now, Nowhere said:

Who cares what bohemian is. I just know that wedding themes are stupid and if the bride doesn't make such a big deal about her "theme", nobody would know or care. Nobody goes to weddings to find out the theme. Most people go out of obligation and can't wait to eat and get the hell back home. I really doubt there will be so many bohemian elements that the average wedding attendee will enter the venue and say, "Ah, so she went with Bohemian. Splendid." Like who gives a flying fuck?? Am I right?

YASSSSS! I don't care if people got their inspiration from Pinterest either. That's sort of the purpose.

• Love 14