Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Heathen said:

If that's one of the Revlon things, it's heavy. I tried one. It did a good job drying my hair, but didn't do much to volumize my (very thick, very heavy) hair. 

Back on topic: at least Joy isn't wearing one of her mother's maternity tents? Not that Mullet would share; I'm sure she's still holding out for #20, J'Miracle Postchangeoflife Everyonelookatme Duggar. 

I've got the Revlon one, mine is a teal color, though.  It does a nice job of styling my fairly thick but only slightly wavy hair.  It doesn't save any time for me compared to the blow dryer though, as I am always in a hurry and never spend the time drying it completely.

I think the current trend for form fitting stretchy maternity wear looks awful and I cannot imagine having something so tight around one's pregnant gut in the middle of the summer is comfortable in any way.  It is possible to buy tops a size larger, you know.  However, form fitting seems to be the prevalent style amongst non-pregnant, non-fundie women, too.  I see so many young ladies out and about wearing outfits that show every roll and dimple.  They'd look so much nicer and far more comfortable, IMO, if they'd just buy clothes a size larger.  

• Love 10
40 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I've got the Revlon one, mine is a teal color, though.  It does a nice job of styling my fairly thick but only slightly wavy hair.  It doesn't save any time for me compared to the blow dryer though, as I am always in a hurry and never spend the time drying it completely.

I think the current trend for form fitting stretchy maternity wear looks awful and I cannot imagine having something so tight around one's pregnant gut in the middle of the summer is comfortable in any way.  It is possible to buy tops a size larger, you know.  However, form fitting seems to be the prevalent style amongst non-pregnant, non-fundie women, too.  I see so many young ladies out and about wearing outfits that show every roll and dimple.  They'd look so much nicer and far more comfortable, IMO, if they'd just buy clothes a size larger.  

That's not exclusive to just younger women. I know plenty in their late forties, fifties, and sixties who look like their clothes shrank! There is a spectrum from tight to tent, people, not a binary. 

Joy still looks better than she did at the end of her first pregnancy, and better than her mother does not pregnant. 

• Love 10

I think the Duggar girls (and lots of women) don't want to buy more clothes late into the pregnancy.  They'd rather buy maternity clothes early on, let them get stretched out, and buy clothes for their post-baby bodies.

Although with the Duggars, since they'll be having a million more kids, it might make sense to invest in a good maternity wardrobe. 

• Love 7

Given that there are nice, empire waist or swing type tunics all over the place, it should be easy enough to find some clothes which can look flattering and are comfortable. I wear tops like that almost exclusively as I not only have a tendency to carry my fat around my middle, but also have a couple of hernias (hopefully I can finally get those taken care of next month) which, if I wasn't 61 years old, might well give the impression of a pretty darn pregnant belly.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, crazy8s said:

is that counting annabel? it should, I lose count

No I didn't count any losses. 17 = Josh/Anna (6), John David/Abbie (1), Jill/Derrick (2), Jessa/Ben (3), Jinger/Jeremy(1), Joseph/Kendra (2), Josiah/Lauren (1) and Joy/Austin (1).

18 will include the new baby Joy is having. 19 will include the new baby Jinger is having. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, crazy8s said:

is that counting annabel? it should, I lose count

Mackynzie, Michael, Marcus, Meredith, Mason, Maryella. 

Grace

Israel and Sam

Spurgeon, Henry, Ivy

Felicity and #2

Garrett and Addison

Gideon, Annabelle, 3

Bella 

Did I miss any? That's twenty if you count Annabelle (I do) and the two in utero. 

Depending on your frame, buying larger sizes becomes an non-option beyond a size or two. Shoulders don't get broader during a pregnancy and not everyone gains in their bottom half. Like @Jynnan tonnix said swing dresses are everywhere, as are leggings.

I think the Duggars enjoy the tight tops because they and flaunt their pregnancy and its the only time they don't have to be modest.

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
32 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I not only have a tendency to carry my fat around my middle, but also have a couple of hernias (hopefully I can finally get those taken care of next month) which, if I wasn't 61 years old, might well give the impression of a pretty darn pregnant belly.

Please let us know how that goes.  I've been told I have one and it definitely contributes to a puffier side view.

I wouldn't count losses either.  Live births are enough to track and how most people count their number of children.   Also if counting losses, we don't even necessarily know all the losses.  They aren't obliged to publish or televise those although it seems with the Duggars we may know most or all of them.  Jinger also had at least one miscarriage.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 8
11 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Depending on your frame, buying larger sizes becomes an non-option beyond a size or two. Shoulders don't get broader during a pregnancy and not everyone gains in their bottom half. Like @Jynnan tonnix said swing dresses are everywhere, as are leggings.

I think the Duggars enjoy the tight tops because they and flaunt their pregnancy and its the only time they don't have to be modest.

I think going up just a size or two is all that they need to do.  It wouldn't take much to get a looser, more flattering fit.  I don't think it is flattering to be swimming in fabric either.

• Love 7

The Duggars look like what a friend of mine almost did.  She bought maternity wear to fit at four months.  By seven months she needed and bought a size up of maternity wear.  The Duggars don't buy larger at seven months.  They continue trying to stuff into the same too tight clothes.  If they bought with the last month in mind from the beginning, they'd look a lot better.

When my daughter wanted to stay with extra-smalls when buying maternity clothes, I pushed her to move up to smalls.  She still outgrew at least 50% of the clothes, but never looked like a stuffed sausage.  We'd discussed that enough that she recognized too tight and packed them away for after baby or the next baby.  

Joy has looked the best of any of her pregnancies this time.  I have to hope she's gotten the best care and advice this pregnancy and is actually getting healthier.

• Love 6
Just now, doodlebug said:

I think going up just a size or two is all that they need to do.  It wouldn't take much to get a looser, more flattering fit.  I don't think it is flattering to be swimming in fabric either.

Especially with an empire waist, which, for the longest time once they started getting fashionable back in the 70's or thereabouts, just reminded people of maternity wear anyway. An extra size or two would give enough extra room that, for most people, the fabric would still hang down over the belly rather than being form-fitting. And given that many women DO gain the equivalent of a size or two all over during pregnancy anyway, it might be a decently fitting top for a while afterwards. 

Actually, I have a picture of myself in a red maternity dress back in the day which was cut very much like today's style of swing dresses. That was my last pregnancy, which, to be fair, I didn't carry quite as much out front as the other two, but the photo was taken at a Christmas party, and my son was born Jan 21, and you could barely tell I was pregnant from most angles. It probably hung in much the same way my swing dresses do today 😄

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

Although with the Duggars, since they'll be having a million more kids, it might make sense to invest in a good maternity wardrobe. 

This is a time when the infamous Duggar closet would be a good idea. Buy good quality maternity clothes in different sizes and styles for the different stages and keep it in the communal closet at the big house. Everyone but Jinger and Jill are there all the time, anyway.

I count Annabell as a grandchild, since Joy did give birth to her. I don't count any of the other miscarriage, though.

• Love 9
23 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I count Annabell as a grandchild, since Joy did give birth to her. I don't count any of the other miscarriage, though.

I count Annabelle also. I count my stillborn daughter. 

• Love 11

I'm sorry but looking like you swallowed a watermelon with a tight shirt stretching out the side seams is just not a good look, pregnant or not. Why would a size 16 woman wear a size 4 clothes? This is what it looks like to me. It also IMO, is not modest for someone to wear skin tight clothing that shows every bump, nook & cranny. Joy looks healthy and well this time but her clothing is ill fitting & looks awful. Same for any of her sisters who dress the same when expecting. The daughters-in-law and Jinger (only because of Jeremy) have looked appropriate and neat when they were/are expecting. This is just my opinion and I understand for some crazy reason many non-fundie women dress just as Joy is now when they are expecting too. I don't like the look...but what do I know, a 62 year old who had her children back in the 80s and 90s.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Especially with an empire waist, which, for the longest time once they started getting fashionable back in the 70's or thereabouts, just reminded people of maternity wear anyway. An extra size or two would give enough extra room that, for most people, the fabric would still hang down over the belly rather than being form-fitting. And given that many women DO gain the equivalent of a size or two all over during pregnancy anyway, it might be a decently fitting top for a while afterwards. 

Actually, I have a picture of myself in a red maternity dress back in the day which was cut very much like today's style of swing dresses. That was my last pregnancy, which, to be fair, I didn't carry quite as much out front as the other two, but the photo was taken at a Christmas party, and my son was born Jan 21, and you could barely tell I was pregnant from most angles. It probably hung in much the same way my swing dresses do today 😄

I was pregnant with #1 in the summer of 67 and empire dresses were very popular.  I wore them until my belly stretched out the part under the boobs.  I guess they weren't all that full after all. I did enjoy that look.  Those were the "good old days" right?  I think Joy would need something with a lot of "swing".  Maybe Jessa has a mustard colored monstrosity somewhere in her one closet.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

(Small voice) I think Joy looks fine. Just like a very pregnant person. Now I’ve seen Jessa in some too tight maternity tops, but what Joy’s wearing in the photo looks just like a woman in the end of her pregnancy. 

Of course nothing wrong with wearing swing tunics and flowy tops if that’s what the pregnant woman wants to wear, but lycra does it exist and I don’t think it would be uncomfy. But what would I know with my childfree self. 

As far as counting grandchildren I would only count living grandchildren. When people ask me how many of x I have I don’t count people that are deceased. I have one great aunt for example. 

• Love 11
16 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Raelynn Joy, Savannah Roxanne, Cora Vette.

It's interesting I saw people predicting Savannah on other snark sites as well.

I'll go with Bethany or Eliana for my guesses for the name. 

• Love 3

They chose an old-fashioned but non-Biblical name for Annabell, and they seem to prefer three-syllable names. M and J names are out because they're already taken. So I'm going to guess one of the following:

Amelia

Adeline

Eleanor

Emily

Lillian

Olivia

Samantha

Edited by Bayarea4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Bayarea4 said:

They chose an old-fashioned but non-Biblical name for Annabell, and they seem to prefer three-syllable names. M and J names are out because they're already taken. So I'm going to guess one of the following:

Amelia

Adeline

Eleanor

Emily

Lillian

Olivia

Samantha

I'm partial to Emily.  My older twin (or the one born first, however you want to look at it) is named Emily. 

• Love 6
41 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I think Cora Vette is a good match for Austin Martyn.

Wait, does Austin spell his middle name like he's an ASOIAF character? If so, I don't know why that's so funny to me, but it totally is. 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 8

The count down begins. Joy's OB said she she won't go beyond 40 weeks. If she hasn't already given birth yet, she will within the next 10 days.

I'll pick 8/18, 8lbs 10oz, 21", at 8:18 pm.

Raelynn Joy, Savannah Roxanne or Cora Vette.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

I like Savannah. It’s my co-worker’s granddaughter’s name. I could also see Caroline, Evangeline, Adeline, Genevieve, Naomi, Norah, Rebecca, Miriam or Eleanor like @irisheyessaid.  

As appalling as their beliefs are, I wish her a safe delivery, heathy baby and speedy recovery. They’ve been through enough.  Also, maybe it’ll start a trend towards proper OB care and safe hospital deliveries for the Duggar daughters. 

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
Damn typos. I really can spell!
  • Love 17
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

The count down begins. Joy's OB said she she won't go beyond 40 weeks. If she hasn't already given birth yet, she will within the next 10 days.

Joy said in the video where she announced her pregnancy (Yes the rumors are true..) that she is due August 19.  (She says that while they're in the car around the 7:30-8:00 minute mark). So she is having the baby in 8 days, although a friend of mine was induced and labor into the night. 

• Useful 4
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Since you picked Cora Vette, I'm going  to pick Berlinetta!!  Maybe middle name of Camaro?

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Zella said:

Wait, does Austin spell his middle name like he's an ASOIAF character? If so, I don't know why that's so funny to me, but it totally is. 

Austin's parents spelled his name with a 'y' instead of an 'i', like Jinger's parents spelled her name with a 'J' instead of a 'G'. I'm pretty sure neither of them had any say in the matter.

I think the baby's middle name will be Joy, since they used Anna for Annabell. Savannah Joy sounds very pretty.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, Temperance said:

Joy said in the video where she announced her pregnancy (Yes the rumors are true..) that she is due August 19.  (She says that while they're in the car around the 7:30-8:00 minute mark). So she is having the baby in 8 days, although a friend of mine was induced and labor into the night. 

oh dear gawd, this is the closest I've ever been to having to share a birthday with a fundie.  August 19th is my birthday & I do NOT want to share it with any Duggar, not even a grandchild.  UGH! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4